Gnomish expert?

Are you unsure how to continue? Do you have questions about how to play the game? Feel free to ask here. The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.

Moderator: Mods

Tink
Civus

Gnomish expert?

Post by Tink »

Do we have a resident gnome expert? I'm wondering about life in Khan, and particularly how much a young gnome leaving Khan for the first time might know about the rest of the world. The wiki doesn't have a whole lot of info on that front, at least that I was able to locate.

thanks!

-Tink
Abbott
Mod Trainee

Post by Abbott »

Khan is actually on my list of places to update in the near future. You're right. There is not much information out there right now. To answer your specific question, I doubt the intrepid young gnome would know very much of life outside the land of gnomes.

The closest human settlement is Killem'toh of the border estates. There is some interaction there.... but it's mostly along the lines of mountain expeditions and things of that nature. Via Killem'toh, some outside information could get to the average gnome in Khan... so that is one link to the outside world.

Killem'toh itself is close to many places of cultural significance.
the wiki wrote:High in the Howling Ice Mountains, Killem'toh shares borders with the forests of T'aquar and the northern portion of the swampy Le Bois Noir. The northern edge of the estate is protected by the outpost Rochenoir. The gnomish city Khan is towards the North-East. Pax is to the south, at the foot of the mountains and Murrelbuck is not too far in the direction either.

It is a fairly unimportant place that is in a strategically important position.

All in all- I would say anything your PC knows about the world apart from the mountains would be things of orcish culture (as the swamp is just north out of the mountains) or things learned from people who have worked with those who've come through killem'toh.

As far as the availability of books and such (Other ways to view the outside world) -I am not certain. The people of Khan are described as nomads in places. Hunters and rangers in others. They don't seem to be the happy-go-lucky D&D/world of warcraft gnomes that we all know and love. Of course the tinkering they have in common.

Hopefully that helps a bit. Maybe someone else will come along with more to add. It's really good to see a new player asking so many questions. I remember having a TON when I first started out. The IRC channel is also a great place to ask questions of people when they are around. Best of luck!
~AbboTT
Tink
Civus

Post by Tink »

Thanks, Abbott. I'm a bit worried that my background might not fit the "reality" (fictionality?) of Khan... I've got Tink starting with a handful of books, and he apprenticed to a variety of trades (including alchemist and astronomer) which might not mesh that well.

Having little knowledge is a Good Thing(tm) since that's kind of what I want, and it also means my personal lack of knowledge of the world of Tazlure won't pose a problem, since Tink suffers from a similar lack ;). I started to read the details on pax but decided I aught not, since Tink wouldn't know.

I was assuming Pax Balthasar was the closest place to Khan I could start, is Killem'toh somewhere a PC can start? I've got Tink heading towards "the heart of the western kingdom" and pax looked like the next red dot on the world map ;).

Must think!

-Tink (rhyme not intended)
Morg

Post by Morg »

Hi Tink,

Killem'toh is not a starting location but is accessible by mod discretion.

Khan isn't a location that's seen much development, so I doubt that what you think up will conflict with developed content. :)

Welcome to Tazlure! :)
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Abbott
Mod Trainee

Post by Abbott »

Morg wrote:Khan isn't a location that's seen much development, so I doubt that what you think up will conflict with developed content. :)

That's the key right there. Nobody holds the key to world building in this game. Just try to avoid going directly against things that have already been written. Everything else from there... as you write it, it becomes cannon. Slowly but surely, IC play leads to location development.

Now that's not how all locations are built up, but many ideas come from players who just added in their own little facts as they went along with their character.

And yeah, Pax would probably be the closest spot for you to go. Killem'toh is still under heavy development, but you might be able to get permission to check it out. There are plenty of cool teasers and stuff that have been laid down for it already (dreamed up by yours truly ;) ).The biggest problem is that there aren't any players there currently. You would actually be the first one. It might not be the best idea... but it's up to you if you want to give it a shot. Guido would be the person to ask.
~AbboTT
Tink
Civus

Post by Tink »

Thanks, guys! I think the plan of the moment is to incorporate a stop at Killem'Toh in my background to pick up a few of the skills I would be less likely to find among the nomadic Gnomes of Khan, and then on to Pax to start play.

Am I likely to find an astronomer and/or an alchemist in Killem'Toh?

thanks,
Tink
Abbott
Mod Trainee

Post by Abbott »

I can see there being an observatory of sorts in killem'toh. Staffed by gnomes from khan. Sure. I think that's a great idea actually. Telescopes hidden up in the mountains. I like it. Not a huge operation mind you, but I can see there being a PC who could show someone the ropes. I'll ask guido about it to make sure I'm not stepping on any toes... but that would probably be just fine.

As far as an alchemist goes-- I'd say Pax would be a better bet honestly. Killem'toh is pretty tiny. Mostly shepherds and military men guarding the border.
~AbboTT
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

Sounds a great idea. An observatory in the mountains offers a great location for future plots. I've allowed it in Tink's backgound and I'm sure we can dream up some plots to incorporate it in the future.

Return to “Questions & Answers”