Player Vs Player combat

Are you unsure how to continue? Do you have questions about how to play the game? Feel free to ask here. The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.

Moderator: Mods

Uli Orange
Civus

Player Vs Player combat

Post by Uli Orange »

I am currently about to begin a sparring thread with another player and I was wondering if anyone could give me some example threads of player vs player battles so I can see how they're handled.
F**k today, it's tomorrow!- Freddie Mercury
Haikan
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Haikan »

There are just a few things you need to remember:

You can NOT assume success, I repeat: You can NOT assume success.
what you do is you make combat attempts toward the other player or the NPC you are fighting.

An example of assuming success: "Uli swung his sword downward in a chopping motion and split Billy in half." This is against the rules.

What you would instead write should be more like this: "Uli swung his sword toward Billy, with the intention of cutting him in half."

You see what I'm getting at?

Also, typically, you would post, then the other player would post their response/reaction. Then after both of you have posted, the mod will post to judge the outcome of both of your attempts. You would then repeat in the same order. An example would be:

Uli's turn,
Frank's turn,
Mod's turn,
Uli's turn,
Frank's turn,
Mod's turn, and so on and so forth.

In your case, Uli, you are sparring so I wouldn't be worried about losing any limbs. Frank has made it clear that he doesn't intend on trying to hurt or kill you :). I get the impression that both of you just want some practice.
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Gwayne of Vendeling »

A remark, In a voluntary thread like this you can also decide for yourself that you TAKE a hit and suggest this. Because its just sparring you can make a mistake.

But in every case its the moderator who has the final say.

Example

The demon lashed out with his tail towards Halkian's back. Halkian realised that he would never be fast enough to evade the fiends limp but tried anyway..

In this post I actually tell the moderator that I expect to be hit. If thats really the case .. is up to the evilness of the Moderator.

*Evil laughter follows*

The same for a attack.'

Halkian faces his opponent, and decides its a wimp ! With a cool stance he points his sword at the little troll and after a few grins, mostly from his side he stabs forcefully with the weapon, expecting the sounds of crushing bone, ripping flesh and other sounds of utterly dying little troll.

The question is.. is this troll really a wimp ? Only the moderator knows...

End of the thread.

The little troll burped when he finally chewed away the last piece of Halkian.
"That was one chewy stupid person !!" he exclaimed.. "And heavy on the stomach..." he burped again. With a fart that lasted for a long time he went on his way, very, very slowly for now, since his belly was very, very bloated.. Stupidity is sometimes a real load on the stomach, and a pain in the ass. But the latter is only the case when they wear armour... and meet a stupid little troll.

So a last remark... be careful when you decide to pick a fight...

:twisted:
Last edited by Gwayne of Vendeling on Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
The Goddess is at my side, until she decides to leave me...

Posting on possible days Avatar from our lady Finley.. a mistress of capturing dreams and nightmares in word and pictures.
http://pixieface.deviantart.com/
Haikan
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Haikan »

Indeed, you should be careful when picking a fight. 'Halkien' in Gwayne's little story made the mistake of assuming and he bit the dust. Don't get the idea however that all mods are evil maniacal deathlords and want to kill their players. Most often there will be signs IC that depict the lurking death-sentence (if there is one). Such as noting that there are skeletons at the trolls feet, or fresh corpses. You'll know if you got yourself into something deadly, cause your thread will become impassable and you'll probably get a chance to safe yourself.... Probably ;)
Morg

Post by Morg »

If you want an example of moderated PvP sparring, check out this (rather long) thread, which is packed with PvP.

Unmoderated PvP is possible too, if both players agree and the mods don't mind. In those cases, it's as Gwayne says: you determine whether you take a hit. But as Haikan says, the most important thing in both cases is not to assume the success of your actions.

Hope this helps! :)
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Gwayne of Vendeling »

A little troll waited on a small mountain build out of the remains of all players who tried to pick a fight with a mod.

He yawned and burped before he scratched his head. Some unlucky flee's lost footing and tumbled towards a certain death in the trolls inner ear.

It was then when the arrow struck him in very sensitive place. The creature grumbled "Those PC's have no respect for a decent NPC these days."

And while being on guard for more nasty intrusions he waited until the mods released him once again.

:wink:

Also remember NPC's have feelings too.. they don't wanna die.

:twisted:
The Goddess is at my side, until she decides to leave me...

Posting on possible days Avatar from our lady Finley.. a mistress of capturing dreams and nightmares in word and pictures.
http://pixieface.deviantart.com/

Return to “Questions & Answers”