Rock the Dragon - Jygust 31st ET (TW Chapter 3 side thread)

Located on the north of Mer de la Luna is the capital of the Western Kingdom: Kings Court. Named after the fact it is the king's residence, KC was built by ancient Adhiel ancestors. The capital is surrounded by large grass fields known as the Downs.

Moderators: Ashari, Haikan

Haikan
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Rock the Dragon - Jygust 31st ET (TW Chapter 3 side thread)

Post by Haikan »

"I hope you enjoyed your rest, noble Fangwyrd," Haikan spoke softly as he walked with Fang outside the encampment. The quiet and subtle noise of the company was behind them, and the light of the fire crept through the cracks between the wagons, adding slivers of dancing light to their dusk-lit surroundings. Haikan's elvish eyes weren't usually too bad in the dim light of evening, and he knew that Fang's glorious dragon eyes must be fine as the sun began to set.

The captain was temporarily retired of duty, and as his and Matiel's day time shift came to an end, the duty of overseeing the company had been handed to Micah and Mikail, who remained at the camp.

The cautious adhiel and his dragon companion were exploring the area around the encampment, to see if they could find an isolated area nearby. Since there were already scouts securing the area, it was more for their own reasons than anyone else's. Haikan assumed that Fang was growing sick of all the gawking humans, and the elf himself intended to learn magick.

He was not wearing his jacket. All he was wearing included his leather armor pants, his chestpiece, his undertunic and his cloak. He didn't know if his arms would be magickally inhibited by his bracers, but he did not wear them regardless. Instead, they were tied to his belt- if only so he could throw them on at the sounding of a horn. Only his schlaeger was brought with him, and the most important possession he brought along was his eager mind.

"...Do you suppose that now is a good time for me to learn how to summon such fires as yours?" He recalled the minor dragon's remark the night prior, though not by any means verbatim. His mind most likely glorified his words somewhat, but the general message was maintained. I would like to see you learn to summon powerful flames to defeat your foes, and protect those that are close to you...

"I am ready to learn."

As they walked, the adhiel searched for a clearing of sorts for them to stop and converse in.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

It was easy to find a place outside the Caravan's protective circle that had some measure of privacy. Fangwyrd walked in a sliver of light that was cast between a small gap. His red scales picked up the light and gave it to seem as though he glowed from within. Much like a cat or dog, his eyes luminesced as well - an eery glow of greenish-pink was well into the depths of his otherwise metallic eyes, and those orbs caught Haikan's form and followed him, unresponsive to the young man's comments until they were well out of earshot of the rest of the group.

His pupil wanted privacy, and Fangwyrd, also, enjoyed not having to put up his royal front. His posture, even while walking on four legs, was more relaxed. Tension had left him. With Haikan, he had less to fear. He also had less to prove as the lad had a great respect for him already. There was a comfort in that.

"It won't be easy, Squire," the small dragon said while sitting on his haunches and examining his claws more closely. "I'm not even sure if a creature such as yourself is capable of my craft." This was a boast. Yirimeer had been very talented in fire casting. "You will have to understand fire - how it works and all that. I live it, I breathe it. I know nothing other than it's energy all around us. It crackles in the air and lies dormant in the ground."
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Won't it be easy? Well that's too bad. I don't care if it takes a hundred yahren, I'm in it to win it! If the adhiel's eyes could glow with fire themselves, they would be. His passion towards protecting others was pushing him forward, and up to this point, he didn't doubt his ability to enhance this agenda, even for a flicker.

"I will do my best, mighty Fangwyrd. I promise that every ounce of concentration I can muster will go into this lesson- every fiber of resolve in my body will focus on your words and their meaning. I will learn what you teach me, even if it darn near kills me." He clenched his fist and raised it in the air as he said this, to accent the fortitude of his statement.

While it was true that Fangwyrd was getting to know Haikan better over the time they were together, the adhiel's singular passion may not reverberate through Fang's mind the way it did his own. The truth was, he only had one overarching pathos, that consumed his actions, and influenced those actions toward those he loved. It may seem selfish and biased to a wiser man than Haikan, as it may not necessarily uphold the ultimate Good, but it was all he knew how to do.

To protect, and never betray.

His love, would push him forward. Fangwyrd would surely laugh at him if he knew this idea, but ever since the showdown with Terrence Finch, this idea had solidified itself in Haikan's psyche, and he was determined to supplement it. He had to learn magick. If he didn't do everything in his power to protect...

He wasn't sure what exactly the cause was... But he felt for just a flicker, fear. If he didn't do everything in his power to protect, then he could fail, and then his only purpose would be useless. His face grew serious at this sobering thought, and he bowed his head formally, waiting obediently for Fangwyrd to begin his lesson.

"I am ready, master Fangwyrd."
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Very well, Squire," Fangwyrd said. "Get on down here on my level, then."

The miniature dragon would wait until his pupil had either knelt, or more appropriately, sat with his bottom on the grassy ground and his legs folded beneath him. He then stretched up on his rear hanches so that he was more to Haikan's height (atleast while the adhiel was sitting) and so that his ember eyes could meet his.

"The thing about magick is mostly in seeing it first, truely," Fangwyrd said with a slight not. "I suppose you've never really seen what magick looks like on the other side. You just see its effect.. some mage doing some whirly thing," here, his little paws made an interesting if intricate pattern. "With their hands and then," he continued to move. "Boom!" And then his clawed paws opened and a little burst of light came out of it, sharp at first, that eventually died down to something that Haikan could look at more clearly until it just looked like a sliver of a crystal which continued to fade. "Clever trick, isn't it?" Fangwyrd transfered the dulling magickally created crystal from one hand to another, and then pressed his hands together and the material broke up into a dust that was finer than sand.

This sand still glowed, and it outlined Fangwyrd with it's gentle ambiance. Before the adhiel could react, the small creature had taken a deep breath and puffed out a gust of warm air that smelled faintly of ash and their dinner. Interesting combination, but it was the fast moving illuminated dust that would demand the most attention as it filled his eyes with a burning light, forcing them shut as soon as the minute crystals started to work their way into his orbs. "Now, stop that. Open your eyes, Squire."
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Obediently, he sat down cross-legged, and he eagerly followed Fang's every move with his forest green eyes. When Fang looked him right in the eyes, he continued to hold the most honoring gaze for the incredible dragon. His face was serious, resolute. I will learn.

His eyes squinted slightly and he nodded his head, in show of his fascination and understanding. I must see the magick, on the other side... Meaning the cause is, not in the world of the living? That must be the connection with the aether that the books at the College mentioned.

He watched in awe at Fang's minute yet stunning trick. It was more magick than Haikan could muster, and to even do something as simple as that, would certainly be an important first step. So that's what magick looks like on the other side? He could barely make it out, but the fact that he could see it at all told him that he at least had the latent potential to see it more clearly. The adhiel spoke to the dragon quite softly, as a student does to a master; his eyes shut as the dust surrounded them, and he waited until Fang commanded him to do so before opening his eyes, and then his mouth.

"How do I see the other side? I... have to "connect", right?" Connect wasn't the exact word he'd read, but he couldn't quite remember the terminology. Since it was alien to him, it wasn't easy to memorize, and he had been studying much more of tactics and leadership, leaving little time for the study of magick theory.

"What is my first step?"
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

While Haikan started to be under the impression that the trick Fang had showed him was magick from the other side, by which he did mean the Aether, it wasn't the case. Rather, he was showing him what he'd easily see - the effect of magick. The cause, however, was soon in coming.

The granular crystals that swiftly moved through the air filled Haikan's eyes with burning light, and it was easier if they were shut, because it was as if they'd stumbled into the daylight though the pair hadn't moved. When Haikan's eyes opened it wasn't to the world he'd closed them to. Fangwyrd, in front of him, was a ghost of energy that swirled and twirled with infinitesimal strands of some sort of slightly glowing substance of mostly reds. It was brightests in his chest - his heart - and his head - his brain - and his throat, from where his fire came.

With the strange substance in his eyes he could see things he'd never seen before. There was a tree in the distance that hummed with green strands. Closer, the Caravan itself was visible in this strange new world, and he could make out the energies of each person, swelling in varying colors, Brogan was easily made out from the others thanks to his height and his curious goldish tan color, quite foreign and unlike the others.

Haikan could see the energies of the scouts who moved around the perimeter that had been established for the evening. The sky itself, once dark with dusk, was now bright with more swirls and whorls than could be counted. Clouds burned with blue lights that exploded when they collided. Their crystaline structure couldn't be understood by the adhiel, but their power could be. "Is it not a beautiful world when you can see beyond the surface? This, Squire, is what it is to see the Aether," he said, and if the dragon could smile he did then, though, to Haikan, it was more like the aura that surrounded him sparkled with his merriment.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Haikan's mouth lay agape as all he could do was stare in awe, through squinted eyes. Everything around him was bright and buzzing with energy! The trees, the people, Fangwyrd, the clouds, the air, the ground. It was all full of so much energy and life! He'd never seen or experienced anything like this, and he was awe-struck to say the least. This... is the aether.

"Wow." He reached out a hand and brushed the grass beneath him, to see if the energy would rub off on him. He didn't know anything about how to harness or attune to this energy, but he was marveling nonetheless. "The Aether... There's so much energy. And you, Fangwyrd... You seem to be blazing with enough fire energy to sate a very volcano's appetite." The wonder and splendor that surrounded the adhiel was more beautiful than any song he could describe it with, and it was at least a burn before his eyes adjusted somewhat, and eventually he found himself able to ask another question.

"So, Fangwyrd. How do I harness or wield this energy that is so abundant?"

He hoped that this vision was not just a side effect, that it wouldn't soon disappear. He hoped that he would be able to access this palette of colors and wonders as a gained talent, but he felt as if it couldn't be that easy. He'd probably at least need to meditate before gaining access to this view of the world without Fangdust.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Haikan's hand swept over the grass, and the coils of energy shifted beneath his touch. The world felt the same. Each blade brushed past his palm or fingertip with the same sensation as he'd always felt, but it looked so very different. Everyting had a small aura of energy surrounding it (expelled energy) as well as that which coursed through it. This energy moved and shifted constantly, though in some things more than others from what Haikan could see. Each thing had different varying colors as well, though they corresponded to what they were, the tree and grass being green, Fangwyrd being red and the clouds blue.

"What do you know of Volcanos, Squire?" He asked, and waved his hand to dismiss the question, moving quickly onto his next one without hesitation. "The only way to manipulate energy is to first atune yourself to it. I've helped, but this won't last.. it's a glimpse of the world beyond ours... our world is called the Tether; so this is the Aether, where we usually are is the Tether and the other world is the Nether," he said darkly. "Where the restless spirits are and from where all evil comes."

Fangwyrd's paw caught a dark strand, one that wiggled and oozed and was quite small but still there. "This energy came from there," he said. "It is everywhere, and it is volatile energy. It's difficult to work with." It was slippery, like an eel and wiggled right out from between his fingers to slither further onward. "I, personally, work best with energy like myself - fire energy, and I can make it out of nothing, but, you, being a lowly squire, will only be able to use the energies that are around you already."

The dragon took a small breath and he glowed brighter still while producing a bit of fire which he expelled into his paw and then held fast to. The energy of the fire was fast-moving. It wasn't like the slow energy of the tree or grass that grew ove time. This ate up everything it could and it spiralled and wove looking for things to lick at, though Fangwyrd kept it contained in his hand. As Haikan watched the turning flame the magick started to wear off. The real world was returning as the darkness of dusk crept into the corners of his vision. The view of energy was ebbing, and the flame energy was starting to look more and more like a ball of fire.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Tether, Aether, Nether. I must attune to the Aether. The adhiel nodded and absorbed Fang's every word. I suppose I'll be limited to wielding the green, blue and red that surrounds me until I'm a master like Fangwyrd. I can barely wait... But I must be patient. To effectively run, I must first learn to crawl. He fully intended to master the elements as Fang had, but time was proving to be quite an obstacle, and he didn't have very long to at least get the hang of the basics. He had to pay attention, absorb every word and think intuitively in order to get ahold of the practice.

"I must attune myself. Very well, I will do my best, master Fangwyrd." With every ounce of concentration he had, Haikan desperately tried to remember the feeling of the aether around him. He tried to hold on, using the hypnotic ball of fire in Fang's hand as the focal point, and hopefully the link between the worlds. Don't let go... If I can hold on to this, I can attune! A bead of sweat rolled down his cheek as he focused. Perhaps it was from his concentration, or maybe it was Fang's fireball. Regardless, the elf really wanted to make a ball of his own, and attuning was the first step.

He tried to calm himself, although his heart was pounding and his blood was pumping fast, causing him to feel quite warm. The captain reached down to the grass and brushed it again, trying to pick up a few strands of his own- he was trying to stay in both worlds, and most of all, he was trying to stay aware.

"Attune."
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The energies that Haikan could see coiled and writhed, intertwining and then unwinding. Some of them moved father than others - those of the fire were so fast they were hard to watch, but this was the case of fire itself. The adhiel swiped his fingers along the grass, but the aether was slipping away from him, getting further and further the more he concentrated on it, as if it was a dream that he was trying to remember after being suddenly woken until eventually it was nothing but a memory and the world around them was dark with the evening and they were in the safety of the warm bubble of light provided by Fang's fire ball.

"It's not easy, is it?" Fang said. "Take a deep breath, close your eyes and don't try to see the aether - just see it. The biggest mistake is thinking about it. Worlds layered ontop of worlds are too much to grasp at one time, the idea that the Nether is layered by the Tether and then the Aether above that, it is far too much for your simple adhiel psyche." This, of course, was entirely untrue, but Fangwyrd continued none-the-less. "You first have to feel the ground, feel it until it's seeping into you and your mind is flying in the clouds." It was an unusual way to describe meditation and grounding, but it was one that made sense to the dragon.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Phooey, I couldn't hold onto it!

"It's not easy, is it? Take a deep breath, close your eyes and don't try to see the aether - just see it. The biggest mistake is thinking about it. Worlds layered ontop of worlds are too much to grasp at one time, the idea that the Nether is layered by the Tether and then the Aether above that, it is far too much for your simple adhiel psyche."

A slight smirk appeared on Haikan's face as he was blatantly insulted, but as far as he knew, the concept was indeed outside of his knowledge. While he preferred to think otherwise, he humored the dragon and assumed it to be so. Don't think... Feel. Don't think... But wait! Now I'm thinking about not thinking about it! Shucks, this'll never work, I can't stop thinking about not thinking about stuff! La-la-la-la!

It took the adhiel several burns to finally manage to clear his head. While he was so passionate about learning, clearing his mind was not an easy task. Still, he finally was able to distract himself from the struggle with the aether, and he simply relaxed. He tried to reach out mentally, but his head tickled from the use of a train of thought that was completely alien to him. Sure, he cleared his mind, but he didn't get much farther then that. He didn't know how to reach out, so he hesitated to attempt anything, and merely sat still, empty-headed and motionless. One subconscious thought drove his current state of mind.

Attuning.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

In Haikan's mind he struggled with nothingness, and in finding it within the depths of his inner mind. It was no easy task. He juggled not thinking about anything to not thinking about not thinking about anything, and then back to thinking about his inadequacy in finding clarity. Mixed into all that was also his yearning for this thing, and it was almost overwhelming to his progress. These thoughts were a swirl, but somewhere within all that mess Haikan was able to center, was able to feel something, and when he did, it was like a very small lever was lifted in his mind and a release was opened.

Sensation flooded into his mind, the pressure of all the energies outside of himself, and when he'd open his eyes again he'd be able to see for the first time. Once his eyes were open Fangwyrd did his best impression of a smile, though with all his sharp teeth it could've been perceived as otherwise. "There it is, Squire!" Fang said with a cheer.

All around him Haikan was presented with the amazing chaos of the aether. Unlike last time he felt more like a part of it all rather than an observer. Still holding onto his fist full of flame, Fang held up the glowing orb filled with it's corkscrews of energy that twirled and spun. "I want you to take this energy and I want you to double it in size and strength," he said holding up his hand and offering no further instruction.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

The release was ecstasy, as he finally cleared his mind and centered with the aether. His mind was much calmer now, despite the overwhelming information that surrounded him, and his eyes were wide as dinner-plates as he looked around with his jaw agape. His face returned to a quite serious expression when Fang offered him his ball of flame, and he nodded dutifully.

"Yes, Fangwyrd."

He reached out his hand and held it under the fireball. Focus... The energy wasn't just around him, he could feel it in him. Instinctively, it only made sense that the key to using it was to channel it effectively. He focused on his center, he thought about his torso - the current sensations there, it's location on his body, his hungry stomach - and he began to focus his mind on rising from his torso to his hands. His focus went from his belly, to his chest, to his left arm, and then down to his left hand. His eyes were closed as he did this, but he opened them and looked at what lay in his hands. He didn't know enough to control his energy, and he probably didn't know enough to even wield it properly, so he was unsure what to expect.

I hope I don't explode.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Haikan focused on the energy in the best way he knew how. His body pulsed with living, moving coils, and from the powerful warmth of his beating heart he was able to find a connection to the flame. The ball slid from Fangwyrd's scaled grasp to the bare and tender fingers of the adhiel. He could feel the heat spread over his palms as the orb hovered over his hand. If Fang were a better instructer he would've guided his student more, but, he didn't have that prowess. Most of what he knew he just knew instinctively. Yirimeer would've been a much better teacher of these arts.

Still, the globe of fire sputtered and shifted. "You have to feed it to make it bigger," the dragon suggested. The adhiel hadn't yet exploded, but there was time for such things. The lesson had only just begun.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Feed the fire, to make it bigger... He locked eyes with this fireball, and he focused on the fireball, the aether itself and his relationship to it, making everything else secondary. Feed the fire! He knew what he had to feed this fire, but he didn't quite know how. Instinctively, he began to flex his hand and imagine in his mind's-eye, this fireball growing. He pictured the fireball doubling in size, and he imagined the energies around him flowing into it, through him. His arm was a wick of fuel, and he needed to turn up the oil. Feed the fire, boy!

He didn't take his focus down for a second, but subconsciously he was still a bit worried in regard to exploding. Feed the fire, but don't blow it up, for goodness sake!

He continued to imagine his arm a wick, a conduit of aetheral energies feeding into the fireball. His confidence was building as if he had a fire in him as well, and half a smile formed on his face unconsciously. He was enjoying the challenge. I think I can do this... I know I can do this! Feed the fire! Yeah!
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Haikan tried to use his body as a vessel and, through him, to feed the fire, but as he did so, he felt a weakening of his personal reserves. The fire could eat more than he could easily draw in for the purposes, and as he pushed the aetheric energies from his chest, through his arm and out his finger tips into the fireball it greedily ate it up, growing slightly in size and waving and licking at the air, white streams of energy drifted into it as it sucked in more.

The adhiel, having not eaten nor drank in some time, felt a rush of lightheadeness and sparkles crossed his eyes that weren't from the aetheric view. As he continued to work himself as a wick a curious thing happened, the fire began to get smaller. "What.. what're you doing, then Squire?" Fangwyrd asked, and his big orbs fixed on the young man.

"Stop that, that's no way to make a fire bigger by just grasping at everything and putting it in there," he said crossly. "You're shoving living tree energy and water energy and stone and earth in there, that's no way to feed a fire, you need to look at the energy, you need to find what would feed it and nurture it. Poor thing," he consoled the fire and patted at it, his claws bringing more life to the free-floating orb. Fang didn't seem overly concerned with the fact that what Haikan was doing would slowly kill him, but.. maybe he didn't know?
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Ugh... I... I...

Despite Haikan's best efforts, the fire was dwindling, and that in his spirit was too. As his head grew dizzy and the fire grew dim, his confidence took a deadly blow. The energy... From rocks and trees? I thought I was using the energy from me... Either way, whatever I was doing was wrong... I... feel weak... That doesn't matter, I.. Can do this!

Just then, Haikan did the only thing that made sense to him, he kept the fireball in his left hand, and he held out his right hand towards Fangwyrd and touched his side with his index and middle finger, focusing again. This time, he pictured the wick going through both of his arms, leading from Fangwyrd, into him, and out to the fireball. It made sense, right? Fangwyrd was the only abundant fire energy he noticed nearby- other than the campfire, but that was too far away, right?

"Like this, master?"
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

When Haikan touched Fangwyrd two curious things happened.

The first was a rush of warmth that spread through his body starting at their point of contact. It wasn't too unlike the flood of heat to the face after making an embarrassing comment in front of a group. Or... well, perhaps it was in the way that it wasn't just his cheeks that rosed from it but his whole self. In that way it was much more amorous in nature and spread over his entire self in a quick-fire that gave him a head rush. Later, he might compare it to his first kiss of true love, but having nothing to compare it to, right now it just made for one to feel tingly and light. Perhaps this was furthered by the dizziness that fuzzed up his mind.

The second effect wasn't on his own person, but on the fireball that free floated in his left hand. Almost as soon as he'd funneled the energy from the dragon through his arm it could be seen positively interacting with the orb of light in that it didn't double in size as Fang had suggested but quadrupled. The intensity, too, rose by a great deal from the weak yellowy-orange bulb that had been handed to him to being a swollen reddish purple ball with orange edges. All these things happened quickly, and the area around them was rapidly illuminated.

Fangwyrd, though, didn't seem impressed by the results as he swatted at Haikan's hand. "No! Not like that!" He hissed and jumped backward from his student to prevent any more power leeching. "I know... I'm all powerful like and you want to use that, but, that's cheating. So, stop." As soon as contact was broken between the dragon and the pupil the ball fell back to it's original size and color. Fang plopped down on the ground and thought for a flicker.

His throat began to illuminate and he procured another matching ball of flame. This one he didn't give to his student. Instead, he pulled at some of the dry grass around them and made himself a small pile. To this he added a couple of sticks and then more of the grass. The dragon had made himself a very small bonfire, and now all he needed was the flame, which he added by setting the fireball on the tangle of kindling. The ball swiftly changed shape to eat up the things that were provided to it so that it were more the shape of the normal fire. Fangwyrd blew warm air over it to keep it moving.

From Haikan's view, in the aether sight, the red cords of energy swirled and devoured the sticks and grass and also pulled in white cords of air energy, proving that natural fire needed several things to grow. "This is fire." Fangwyrd said, deciding that he needed to be a little more specific. It was hard for him. He was a creature made of these things, who could create energy from nothing. Haikan didn't have that luxury. "Fire and fire energy are two different things, you have to know that to work with it."

The small dragon took a deep breath, and as he did so, Haikan's fire sputtered out and faded to nothing. "It's ok, let it go. Relax your mind, we'll start again in a burn." Lacing his claws together he watched his student over the light of their very small fire, to which he added more sticks as necessary. It was up to Haikan if he'd try to maintain aether view during their conversation or if he'd let it down.

"Fire energy is what you can see coiling around and being all red and nice and shiny in your eyes when you concentrate on the aether. Usually, it's bouncing in and around something that's on fire - like the fires over there," he vaguely motioned toward the campsite. "Or, it's in something like me, because a lot of me is made of that energy. You have some of it in you, too.. deep inside, just like you have electricity and energy that grows and dark energy and all sorts of things. Adhiel and humans - people, bi-peds, you have all different kinds, so do I, but the fire is so strong it's probably all you see right now, because you're new. You have baby eyes in the aether, they can't see detail yet. You will eventually, and you'll be able to see, and then use smaller and smaller bits of energy for bigger and better things."

Fangwyrd blew over the fire again, running his clawed hands over the licking flames, and then added more quickly burning grass. "The thing is, I won't necessarily be there all the time when you're trying to do the magick. You can't rely on being able to pull energy from me, you have to see it in other places, you have to be able to bring it in from outside." Fang, having no knowledge of mind craft, didn't understand that one could use their own mental reserves for such a thing.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Whoa..."

He couldn't help but feel powerful when Fang's energy was flowing through him. A bead of sweat began to roll down his face as the fireball grew, and equally with the fire in his hand, the flame in his spirit also quadrupled in size. Half a smile formed on his lips, and it was taken away just as quickly when the fire went out, but his courage didn't falter in the slightest. So the only fire energy I can see right now is the strong stuff... Like from an actual flame, or from Fangwyrd... He kept his aether vision focused as best he could, and he started to look for cords or particles of some sort floating through the air. The elf looked into the wind, and an idea formed in his head.

"Master Fang... Doesn't that mean air would be a much easier element to get started with...? I could practice using air energy as often as I can breathe! And, air feeds fire, so I could..." He held out his right hand and tried to pull any energy that he might be able to find in the air. He was looking at the white cords, and particles, which floated on the wind as energy- the stuff that was so bright all around him, and startled him when he looked in the aether for the very first time.

The elf tried to imagine this energy whirling weakly in his hand, and in his mind it slowly gained speed, a small typhoon in the palm of his hand. "Give me another chance, master. I have an idea."

He then shifted his eyes to the fire, and the cords of energy circling around it and going through it. He saw in his mind, that the red cords were the hilt of a sword, and the fire itself was the scabbard. He reached out with his left hand to grab one, mentally unsheathing the energy and drawing the magick back into his hands.

"I think..."

This was it, his chance to perform magick on his own for the first time. The hopeful adhiel took his right hand, and he cupped it underneath his left hand, and he saw in his mind, the typhoon taking the fire energy into it, and whirling it into a new ball of flame.

"Come on..."
Last edited by Haikan on Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Well.... yes.. it'd be easier I suppose, yes," Fang said when asked about the air energy.

The adhiel, when attempting to harness the air energy, found that it was a very fast sort of energy that slipped easily through one's fingers, or was strangely affected by the surrounding air energy... much like it was being blown away in another direction. He was working these energies against their cooling rush of skyward travel. Upon looking at the swirling bright world of air energy it became apparent that it wasn't a chaos of movement at all, but a rising turmoil.

Still, he was able to grasp a few lazy strands here and there and these, in turn, spun in the little tornado that was created in his palm. Fangwyrd watched this new theory closely, but with his sharp smile as if he were amused by this turn of events. Haikan's tentative hand reached out to draw one of the writhing red cords, and he might find that these were somewhat slower moving than the air, but also fickle. The first one dissolved almost as soon as he'd touched it, but more luck presented itself with the second.

This one was a stronger string and easily manipulated and it shifted and danced in his left hand. As soon as the tornado and flame were close to each other the fire energy leapt from one hand to the other and it swirled and wrapped around the spiral so that for a short time he was without a ball of flame, but rather a tornado of one, until it relaxed into a ball shape.

"Excellent work, squire!" Fangwyrd said. "It's still weak and small, though... make it stronger so that it can pull in it's own air energy and feed itself. It should be big enough if it's about three times that size, then you will really be able to do something with it.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"Alright, yeah!" Haikan couldn't help but release an excited laugh. After all, he had just created his first fireball, and Fangwyrd was proud of him! His heart raced with adrenaline as the tornado formed and became a weak ball, and his mind began to race onto the next step.

I did it! I think I finally understand! Now, I just need to... The captain's joy and laughter was brief, for he quickly came back down to a serious mood, not wanting to lose what he'd come so far for. His face went somewhat blank, and his eyebrows came together just slightly as he focused his mind much harder than the last time- he wasn't about to let this ball sputter and cough like the last one due to poor energy choices.

Air and fire... The only thing he could let himself channel now was fire and air energy. It was easier to focus on these two for him than it could have been, since they were so far the only elements he recognized by feeling and appearance. Haikan held his hand sturdy, with crooked fingers as if he was actually holding a ball, and he flexed his fingers to help his mind feed the ball.

White and red, the energies of Air and Fire. The man reached out with his off-hand and felt himself pulling at them, beckoning them into him and attempting to attract them cohesively using the similar strands that he'd already grasped. If they wouldn't flow into him in this ideal fashion, he'd resort to snatching again. I can do this... Grow fireball, grow! I'll give you plenty of fuel!

He put as much focus as he could muster into feeding this fireball. It might've been easier if he was a meditator who could clear his mind, but he did the best that he could, and there was one advantage to a mind unclear. His ambition and passionate zeal for success was shining bright in his head, in such a way that any meditator would gladly trade her attunement with serenity for the fire in his heart.

"Master, I can do this!"
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

It was a dangerous business learning magick the way he was. He hadn't grounded nor shielded, and though he thought he had a great advantage for his spirit, it meant he lacked the fortitude of one who practiced the art of meditation. That being the case, he knew no other way, and wouldn't see the inherent risk of the things he was doing. The lacking of proper centering and grounding would mean that he would run out of energy shortly, though, especially after the long day and the hunger for the evening meal that could be sensed distantly in his stomach.

This time, as he pulled at the energies, they came more of their own volition. The fire coils swirled, but shifted from the miniature bon-fire to his hand, then hung in a sort of limbo as if unsure of where to go. It would seem they'd need more coaxing. Slippery as they were, it wasn't easy to get them from Fangwyrd's fire to his own, but eventually they did. Once a few new energy strands were in place the ball grew, and it meant it needed more fuel. The air energy provided just the thing as he drew them in, and then, after ten burns or so of luring the white particles into the void of the orb it began to do it all on it's own.

"That is a stable fireball," Fangwyrd explained. "You'll know when it gets there because it should start to react in this way, strong enough to pull in it's own food. What do you want to do with it, now that you've got it?"
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

"What do you want to do with it, now that you've got it?"

This adhiel had no ideas of the danger that came with not shielding himself. As far as he knew, magick was as simple as attuning, centering and weaving. Perhaps he'd learn more in time, but for now he was certainly pleased with what he'd managed to accomplish this evening. The next step of the night's training was up, and he looked at Fang with a sincere look on his face. "Well, I suppose the typical thing to do would be to huck it at the badguy, right?" He watched the growing fireball gain momentum, and he knew that he'd do no such thing, since there weren't any 'badguys' around, and there was noone who was apparently in trouble or need of a giant fireball.

"I don't really know what I should do with it. I suppose I could continue trying to master my hold on the energies and try adjusting it's size... Or maybe I could try to learn how to move it around." Haikan's face lit up as he said this, for he'd never even considered the idea that he just thought up, and it seemed a pretty important one.

"Uh... That reminds me master, how exactly do I move a fireball around? If my enemy is a hundred paces from me, how do I make the fireball's adjustment from laying dormant in my hands, to exploding in his face?" He paused briefly, waiting for his master to cook up an answer, and he realized another question that burrowed in his mind.

"And what of fire's counterpart, ice? Will I be learning how to spot that energy as well this evening? I only ask for the sake of thoroughness.. If it happens to be raining, it'd be easier to cast a tornado of icicles, or a strong gust of hail and snow, than it would be to maintain a giant fireball, am I wrong?"

The adhiel knew that he wouldn't be learning the entirety of magick theory on this night, but he wanted to see if he could learn enough that he could practice in his spare time without having to nag Fangwyrd everytime he wanted to try something new. Learning to recognize energies would be important for this, and learning how to think like a magician was the real answer he sought.

"I suppose I wish to recognize all of the elements... But I may just be getting a little impatient. I will obediently learn at the pace that you provide me, master Fangwyrd."
Last edited by Haikan on Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Attuning and weaving were the only two things that Haikan had any idea of. Centering was similar to meditation (and assisted by being proficient in it), and Fangwyrd neither practiced it nor taught it.

"Throwing it at the bad guy would be the general idea, yes.. but the ability to create a fireball can also help in creating light. You don't see it now, because of having your head in the clouds and being totally in line with viewing the aether, but out in the world it's rather dark right now, and you wouldn't be able to see without light." From there, Haikan listed off his questions and Fang sighed (as eloquently as a small reptile can) before continuing and answering them in the process.

"Practicing moving it is a good idea. Right now, it is of a good size. It's manageable as well as the fact that it doesn't require you to feed it. I'm not sure you'd be able to get a fireball to go a hundred paces, yet... your power isn't enough. Energy like fire can be fickle, like I said before.. and it would sputter out and die long before reaching impact.

"Which brings us to the impact itself. It's one thing to throw a fireball, it's another to have it explode, growing in size and either blinding or injuring the person you oppose." Fangwyrd, sitting as he was, played with the small fire in front of it. He continued to add more pieces of kindling as required to keep the wee flame alive. "Up to you, which do you want to learn? How to throw it or how to make it explode?" Logic would suggest learning to throw it first, but Fang didn't much care for logic.

"Rain won't stop your fireball, your perception of things will change - you will realize that one proficient enough can make water in the desert or fire in a monsoon. I can show you how to access ice energy, if you'd like... but it is not so different from air or fire. It might be best for you to concentrate on one thing before jumping headlong into another." He appreciated his youthful exuberance, but also needed his student to be patient.
Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Well, I think that with all of my tactical experience and my education of strategy, I can safely guess that learning to blow up the fireball wouldn't be a very good idea before I learn how to get it away from my friends and me. The adhiel grinned at the silly notion of a person trying to figure out how to make the fireball that rested in their grasp explode. He soon shook off the whimsy and looked at the fireball in his own hands, soaking in the beauty of this magick, and he nodded. "I'd like to learn how to move it, first." There was a sort of comfort in connecting to the aether that Haikan very much appreciated. It was as if there was a constant ally, always there to help. This assisting force was as readily available as existence itself, and the elf got a shiver from the poetic beauty of such an idea.

"Master, I can wait until we are finished with the basics of fire before I learn how to access ice. I would of course like to learn how to recognize the energies of cold and water before the night is done, but first things first." Actually I think that as a beginner of my stature, ice would be a much more responsible element for me to use regularly... If I make a mistake with fire I could burn down the home of a family of birds, or maybe even an entire thicket of trees... Ice would just cause damage to what it hits or freezes on and then eventually it would melt away... Tactically, I think it'd be a better call, until my mastery of fire is better...

Not only did it seem like a 'cleaner' force to use, it seemed like it would compliment Fangwyrd's flames as a contrasting force on a battlefield. Still, Haikan knew that Fangwyrd was wiser than he, and the dragon was right in saying that he should learn actually use the fireball until he moved on to the next trick.

He nodded again, and swallowed hard, thinking about the consequences of screwing up in this situation. "So master, how do I chuck this thing accurately? Before I do so, I'd like to state that I don't wish to burn anything to the ground this eveningtide."
Last edited by Haikan on Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Kings Court”