Just a Waneday, Jygust 30th EMT

The glorious Summer City upon the white cliffs of the magical Mer de la Luna in the Western Kingdom that harbours many nobles. Home to the Summer Palace of the former King as well as vineyards that produce the city's famous wines. Anything is possible here, if you are willing to bring the right sacrifices.

Moderators: Ashari, Haikan

Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

Just a Waneday, Jygust 30th EMT

Post by Gwayne of Vendeling »

For Gwayne it was a normal day, he got out of the hay just before sunrise to prepare the horses of those who would leave this day. He had slept very well, even for the Adhiel it was a bit too warm to his taste. So he went out to get water to give the animals a good drink and a rubdown before they would go to work.

Inside the inn he saw the lights wake up in the kitchen, he knew that he had been the first so he hummed contently while carrying the water to the stables and a burn later to the kitchen. One of the girls accepted the two buckets of water with a smile as always. So while resuming his humming he returned to the stables and gave all the horses water and food. It would be almost a mark before the others would come so he had all the time to take care of the animals.

He softly sang a morning song while he rubbed the first horse dry before he would saddle it. It could be warm, but it was a good morning for him. The Goddess smiled as usual. He glanced at the moon. Today when he was free he would visit the sea again. Too many people around, sometimes Gwayne hated the crowded place. Maybe he should also visit the new temple of the Mother, the last month a lot of things had changed.

No more nagging about paperwork by city guards and other officials, what was good. More and more adhiel started asking him for songs about the Goddess, the Mother and her children what was nice.. and some people almost like it was the other side of a coin started to tell him off and that he should not proclaim heresy in this city of Domincus.. and that was clearly bad. Not that it stopped him, he had fought people who had attacked him in the name of Dominicus before.. and according to his own view of the world he did no harm.... not everybody agreed about that view probably.

The sun had risen clearly above the sky when the man finished his job, for the next few hours the stable boys would not need his help. So he decided to make his way towards the new temple. It did not take him long to find the place, after all it was explained to him by Nuorin how to get there... and he had watched the building several times now not daring to approach and enter it. Somehow he had a feeling that if he would enter the building he would be nearer to Eivlys as the Goddess would be there, maybe he could even find some fairy.. He missed talking to the Mothers children.. he missed Eivlys.. and Amber.. It was the eyes and smiles of these women that finally made him walk towards the temple and enter it.

Cleverly hidden near the One Monastery rests the Temple of the Mother. It's entrance is actually close to the graveyard, for those that know what to look for. Once through the near-hidden door behind the grapevines, there is a winding staircase leading down to the Temple in construction: the Mother's Womb. Within the temple people are working on a large workshop area, stonework puzzled together in cobbles which bear the standard markings and inscriptions related to Mother in all of Her forms. A basin, filled once each tide by fresh water from the Mer, adorns the north wall and three small ante-rooms curve southward from West to East, housing some of the staff, texts, and items respectively.

With no preist in charge at the time, Mother’s Temple is run by an interim Priesess named Vighxunna and three assistants, two males named Ilharn and Dalharuk, and a female named Orthaegul. The primary purpose of the assistants is to keep Mother’s songs in the air, which they do by rotating once per tide, taking care of speaking to followers, taking care of themselves, or tending to other Temple affairs in the ‘off time’.

As a result, the Temple is always full of music, even when it is not full of people, and Mother’s presence can be felt once one crosses the threshold from the street to the interior.

Technically one could say the One Monastery is now built on the roots of Mother earth, yet none of the faithful priests of Dominicus is aware of this, or it would have to be through the faint songs that sometimes break through into their dreams.

To find the temple of the Mother, one would have to be either extremely lucky or know which people to talk to.

Gwayne wanted to enter the temple without being noticed, he had found it easily following the strange directions he was given. But it seemed that he would have found it without those as well, it was very strange that the place attracted him as a mistress a lover.. or maybe a sweet smelling flower that lured insects to their demise. Gwayne had a eerie feeling that he heard a female voice laugh on the breeze filled with love and something else.. maybe a promise of death. It was then that he noticed a priestess watching him, her eyes resting on the painted adhiel like she had been waiting for his arrival.. and maybe that was true.

This silver-haired adhiel priestess was the interim Priestess for the Temple of Mother in Roque d'Ancourt. A warm, spry sense of humor, good Adhiel genes, and age have given her many aspects of the goddess that she serves by topping a 'youthful' maiden's face with the hair and eyes of the crone while wrapping the entire package in an aura of innocence and - at times - fun. She is almost always about, except when sleeping, and rarely leave. She also known to bake a mean array of T'aquar specialities, as that was where she was raised, and so visitors to the Temple of Mother often find their bellies as full as their hearts and minds before this matronly Priestess bids them farewell.

Gwayne swallowed something while he approached the woman.. “I am Gwayne..” he said.. expecting her to answer him with the phrase “I know you are...”
Last edited by Gwayne of Vendeling on Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Goddess is at my side, until she decides to leave me...

Posting on possible days Avatar from our lady Finley.. a mistress of capturing dreams and nightmares in word and pictures.
http://pixieface.deviantart.com/
Gutter Rat
Retired staff

Post by Gutter Rat »

Vighxunna turned and smiled at the man with a nod. “Namaste, brother…” she greeted, acting nonchalant as not to draw attention to him, treating him like any other attendee. A few other worshippers were speckled through the temple at varying altars, praying as if making up for lost time. “And how does the Goddess find you at this time?”, she asked as she led him toward a bench. “Well, I hope, and in good spirits.” The aging Adhiel’s voice did its best to mask the nervousness below it as she knew that any time a figure slipped into the temple, it could be one of the harbingers that she had been warned about – Oneists who ruled through steel and might and saw the place and existence of other gods and goddesses as a threat.

“Have you come for council, Brother? Or worship?” she asked, placing a hand upon his in a comforting way.
Last edited by Gutter Rat on Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daemons come out at night...and so do the rats.
Posting availability: Almost daily, if I can swing it.
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

The nervousness of the woman had his counterpart in Gwayne, although for different reasons. “Na..namaste.. Sister...” he whispered. His eyes searching for those of the Adhiel priestesses, who as ever to Gwayne did not reflect her age as her hair did.

“I... I.. can never do without worship Sister, as the Mother reflects life, so life itself is worship..” Gwayne could not understand the source of these words, still they came from deep inside him. Squeezing softly the womans hand he resumed “I am here because the Goddess has placed me in this city, and because she never does anything without a reason I seek both comfort and council.. and offer my services as Nuorin asked me..” Gwayne's face flushed a bit red on the cheeks. Why would a Priestess need his services, his insecurity showing.

Still the feeling to be in the neighborhood of this Priestesses and the temple gave the young Adhiel a special feeling like he was fuelled with energy. Even better he had a feeling that someone someone was smiling warmly at him through the smile of the priestess.. a smile he knew was both loving and challenging.

Gwayne smiled. “I am happy to be here..” he finished his monologue and he meant it.
Last edited by Gwayne of Vendeling on Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posting on possible days Avatar from our lady Finley.. a mistress of capturing dreams and nightmares in word and pictures.
Gutter Rat
Retired staff

Post by Gutter Rat »

“Prayer always helps, Brother, as does guidance. The Brother that you mentioned...”, she said in such a way as to hint to Gwayne not to drop that name too loudly or often, “...did speak of you, beleiving with all of his heart that he had found a priest within you sent by Mother's own hands, as well as for me to be expectant of you but not disappointed if Mother had other plans for your life. I am glad, however, that she has chosen you to assume the rites for my time – until I was needed here – had long passed, my robes content to gather dust in my closet after yahren of faithful service to the Goddess.” She gave Gwayne a warmer smile, her nerves calming a bit.

“I must admit, on a personal note, that I will be happy to initiate you, for I too see the light in your eyes that he did even as the light fades from my own. It shall be my greatest wish, you see, to see the Goddess' face in my final sunset over a Taquar sky, rather than this so close, yet so distant, landscape.” She rose and pointed herself toward the kitchen, offering for him to follow.

“Come...”, she beaconed with a small wave of her hand. “Neither questions, nor answers, thrive on an empty stomach. Please, come have a bite and I will answer any questions that may come to your mind before we begin the transition.”
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

Gwayne got the hint, although as by nature he was reluctant to hide her name. He admired the woman who so clearly radiated the Mother in all her being and he wondered if he would be able to carry the Goddess as she did with all his worries and doubts.

Inside him the warrior stirred, when memories of the destroyed obelisks in Dort came back together with faces of the followers of Dominicus he killed. It made him stop for a flicker and look around searching for those who wanted to harm the temple.. desecrate the Goddess body and he knew he would not allow that anymore.. he was the bringer of mercy, the mercy of the Goddess. He followed the woman soon after that.

The adhiel was tempted to tell the Priestess not to worry, instead he kept silent, just asking the Goddess to make sure that Vighxunna would go home.

Curiosity made the man look around while following and listening.. he felt further away from his old life with every step he made.

Gutter Rat
Retired staff

Post by Gutter Rat »

Once in an anteroom, the elderly priestess pulled a kerchief from a plate of still-warm, fluffy rolls, doling out two of them on a plate and passing them to Gwayne, dishing out two for herself and taking a seat. Eyes which seemed far younger than the face they were sunken into twinkled merrily as she gave the tattooed man a smile and indicated an empty chair.

"For all of its size and grandeur..." she began, waving a roll-filled hand at the room, indicating the city beyond the walls. "...Roque d'Ancourt is a small town and the people in it smaller and easily bored at times, no? I must admit, Gwayne, that I heard about you first through our mutual friend but..." Vighxunna said with another chuckle. "...you are spoken of for other reasons in this town as well, I am afraid and, as such, I have heard firsthand accounts of people being witness to all of your art in public..." she said, raising en eyebrow and motioning toward his visible tattoos. "And I am not referring to your singing, although I have heard tales about that as well."

She took a small nibble at her food and smirked. "Pretend that I am just a woman, Gwayne, not so far up in years and not so blasted solemn in her role of priestess and do me a favor if you will..." she began, placing her roll back on her plate and propping her elbows on the table, her fists clenched beneath a face which looked intently interested in what he had to say. "...and tell dear old Vighxunna the tale about how you came to be naked in the middle of town one day with nary a gate guard ever having seen you pass and nary an customer in Dog's being able to forget the tale of seeing your...tail. I haven't giggled in ages and, if it would not offend you, could use a good chuckle now and again."
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

When Vighxunna started to chuckle Gwayne smelled a rat... so while he listened to her words something in his stomach started to harden.. and his ears became red... his face became red ...probably the rest of his body also became red.. and he almost got killed by a warm and fluffy roll. What would be a pretty embarrassing death.. even for this adhiel.

So he coughed and gasped for air while planning to kill any gate guard who would EVER mention this occasion in his surroundings.

He decided to chomp on on the rolls until he had some control back over his voice.. otherwise he would only stutter. It took four rolls to ease the young man up, more or less.

“Y...” a flicker passed “Yeah, quite a sight that probably was..” a new roll was victimized. “The truth is I don't know.. I was well...” red ears again.. “Together with two ladies, naked... I got drunk and while I walked I..... I........ I..... ended up at the market in Roque a few marks later..”

Tears started to flow when the faces of Amber and Eivlys appeared.. so far away from him, and no way back. “I...I... I miss my loved ones..” the poor adhiel stuttered.. “I wish that the Goddess would have left me there.. now I am far away from Dort with no means of return and no answer to my letters..”

A new roll was sacrificed to the insatiable lust of the young adhiel, swallowing his tears with the food.

“Still the Goddess has guided my feet here, so how can I be of service ? I am not a real priest. I am a bringer of mercy.. The guide to the afterlife for those who ask. I don't hope that those services are needed. Mmmmmmm, I think you still make a great woman, but a nasty one... Running naked and in panic through Roque is the last thing I want to remember.. Except for that young woman who turned more red then anyone I had ever seen.. And the guard who seemed to be annoyed.. and... o well..”

The last roll found his way to Gwayne's mouth. He felt a bit better now, and stuffed.

Gutter Rat
Retired staff

Post by Gutter Rat »

Vighxunna listened to Gwayne's tale carefully, her smile fading only slightly, the old woman seemingly unshaken by his accounting of being in bed with not only one, but two women. And drinking. It seemed to be all in a day's work for this sprightly elderly priestess. She rose when he was done and walked up behind him, placing her hands lightly upon his shoulders and planting a light kiss on the top of his head. “I apologize about tearing open a wound, Gwayne – as I say, I remember what it was like to be young and had no idea that your tale was more than just the natural follies of youth.” She removed her hands from his shoulders after a light squeeze and fetched more baked goods, enjoying how Gwayne seemed to like them.

“If it would make up for my transgression, I will share with you a flicker or two that I am not so proud of myself. I had just entered into the role of Priestess, many, many yahren before you were even born, and had given birth to my notion of the practice that you still see to this day – baking food for my visitors so that they leave with food for both thought and belly – a full heart and stomach as well. It had been about a month or so into my service to Mother when word spread and I would find gifts left behind – ingredients to add to the next batch, as people were giving back almost as much as they received. To this day, I have yet to grace a marketplace in search of supplies, do you know what I mean? That much, I am proud of, Gwayne – and now here comes my shame.” She paused and took both a seat and a poppy seed muffin, examining the surface for a flicker before holding it out to him.

“I was young and naive... and accepted them without question – including a large satchel of poppy seeds which turned out to be...not quite what I expected. They looked fine to me, of course, and so I baked as if there were no tomorrow, loading muffins until they were practically bursting with the tiny little morsels.” She gave Gwayne a large reassuring smile for a flicker, which turned slowly into a frown. “Everyone loved them...loved the service...loved Mother... loved life... and loved me... You would think that the followers of Pan had fallen into the wrong temple, we were all so relaxed and giddy.” Her frown disappeared into a straight line which tried to turn into a smile as she forced herself to chuckle at her own folly.

“You walked naked into a bar, Gwayne - I willfully fed a temple full of worshipers heavy amounts of opium. The story may be one that you wish to forget, my son, but Mother also wants you to learn to laugh at it in time, as I do that tale at times. As long as oral tradition continues, even with my tale, someone will always remember and spread it...the best that we can do is learn to handle the topic well.” She rose once more and fetched them each something to drink to was it all down.

“Now, Gwayne, you are correct – Mother did guide you here. These are troubling times and I feel that those who wish to see this temple stand and thrive wish it to thrive, at first, under the hand of a young man in his prime – one with a stout conviction and the sheer hubris to walk into a building naked if it accomplishes his goals rather than under a dying matriarch who hides in the shadows, baking cookies, and pretending like the world outside of her walls is little more than rainbows and butterflies. Anyone can be a priest for Her if they put forth the effort, Gwayne – if the Goddess felt the desire to make an Orc sing her praises, then you and I both know that the Orc would belt out a tune that would make even the most battle-hardened soldier weep.” She placed a hand upon Gwayne's knee and gave him a small wink.

“Roque needed you, Gwayne...YOU...for this task, which is why Mother called you here as She did, I think. She called you early so that you could learn the town and its peoples – to endure what they are enduring to better guide them.” She gave him a solemn nod.

“If Dort and your friends needed you as much as Roque did, Gwayne, she would have left you there - I have no doubts about that, do you?”
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

Gwayne listened to everything that Vighxunna said and then pondered for a few flickers about what poppy seed actually did too people until he realized and remembered it.

"But Vighxunna, if you would have put in some more seeds they would have remembered nothing at all I guess.. I think they barely could remember anything anyway.."

The young adhiel laughed softly at the idea until the priestess asked him some serious questions.

“If Dort and your friends needed you as much as Roque did, Gwayne, she would have left you there - I have no doubts about that, do you?” she said.

The man tilted his head for a moment like he was listening to something inside him. He chuckled and said "I have no doubt that the Goddess would move me to Roque for her own intentions and plans. I also believe that I have a free will and that she always me to be happy and pursue happiness. Her love is endless but she will betray me as easy as well. It is like nature itself, I love her non the less.."

He carefully took Vighxunna's hands and kissed them... "Thank you Vighxunna, you make great rolls... and your a loving guide."

Gutter Rat
Retired staff

Post by Gutter Rat »

"You are quite welcome, Gwayne, and thank you for the complements and understanding...both of me and the Mother - I have seen many a prospective priest and priestess walk through the temple doors thinking that Mother is nothing but kind and benevolant, forgetting that a rabbit torn asunder by a hungry wolf sees a completely different side to Mother in those fianl flickers. It is good that you do." She gave a wry smile as she cleaned up the empty dishes. "But...", she continued with a chuckle. "I am not telling you anything that you did not already know, am I, for you are Her wolf from time to time as the need arises, as her Mercybringer..." The plates gave a small clatter as she washed them in a basin.

"Humor me once more please, Gwayne, and tell me what you think of the current situation in Roque, from that perspective as well as that of a singing stablehand..."
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

Gwayne chuckled and said "You mean besides that they try to make you pay for singing ?" while he rose to lend the lady a hand.

"Well, the horses are nice although some of them snore. And most of the other stable boys are great.." His face wrinkled while he was thinking "Roque is a strange place.. people are always plotting and playing games it seems.. Some call it the game of the Houses, revering to the houses of the merchants and nobility who are willing to gain power."

He took a piece of cloth to dry the plates. "I always tried to stay out of it... but I am not sure if I really did. Because I am here after al, and now involved in the games some adhiel take very serious.. serious enough to kill for. I don't like that... "

The young man hummed a tune for a few flickers.

"Is it scary to be a priest ? It sounds like a lot of responsibility.. and I would like to return to Dort as soon as possible. Still I think .... I think.."

The Goddess would find a way to make me priest one way or a other....

"Don't bother I accept, there have to be fun parts.. and maybe I can bash some sense in those guys who run around killing.."

Gwayne felt a flush of relieve and sadness flow through him... he would not see his love very soon. Duty was here and it stayed.

"Can you teach me how to write ?"

At least he could write his love letters.. love letters...

"And when do we start, with everything... I have a feeling the world is running and I am lagging behind..."

He grinned for a flicker.. too much had happened, he had changed. And that was scary. The Goddess had plans.. he knew it for sure and as usual there was a rat in paradise somewhere. With his luck it would be a fat Gutter Rat....

Nah... it could never be that bad. Life would be good.
Last edited by Gwayne of Vendeling on Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

Vighxunna turned to smile at Gwayne, as if she had always know he would choose this path, encourage him like one would a young school boy with lots of praise. Indeed, if one reflected on it, there was much of a puppy in Gwayne, and there was much of Mother in Vighxunna.

"Scary? No. I've been afraid but never truly scared. For I knew the Mother would save her children," she smiled at him, "As I trust you know also. She's not an easy mistress, but a fair one.

Cleaning off the last of the table the priestess added "I can learn you to read and write, to care for others and heal them, to listen to their troubles, to mend your own clothes.. oh.. and a million tasks. The work is never done."

She cocked her head "Is that what you want? What do you want to do as a priest of the Mother?"
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

Gwayne chuckled. "Well that sound like what I do every day.. Then its not so scary to be a priest. Sounds a lot nicer then being a mercy bringer."

The young adhiel kept to himself for a few flickers until he decided to just speak out.

"I fear that it won't be that simple though. When I did my rites at the beach they killed a man. It was then that they invited me to become priest in the temple. They said it was war. The Mothers ways are never easy, and so are her rewards. Still I shall do my part for the better of the people."

"And.." he smiled. "I can sing a lot more often this way. I also hope they have faeries here.."

The young man stretched.. "Maybe I have to resign my job as stable boy then.. "

He knew he would miss that. It had been very peaceful months. Yes he would miss that.. then he remembered her question.

"As a priest I protect and guide the people.. all people. So where do we start ? I have a lot to do ! And that was clearly the truth."
Last edited by Gwayne of Vendeling on Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arnholt
Civus

Post by Arnholt »

The forces of the Light of the One Monastery were on the march. Not that one would know it to look at them. All three wore plain brown cloaks over their monks' robes. Arnholt was hooded, to conceal his distinctly human appearance. His fellows went with their hoods thrown back to reveal that they were of adhiel blood. Together they might pass as a trio of pagans coming to worship at the Mother's "secret" temple. The times being what they were, it would not be wise for a band of Oneists to make this journey out in the open, even when their objective was peaceful.

On the surface, then, a band of pagans... and under that, they were Oneist clergy. And under that, they were cultists of the Righteous Order. Demons, so to speak, in wolves' clothing... in sheep's clothing. Not that Arnholt and the others were literally wearing their cultists' robes underneath everything else. For one thing, in the month of Jygust, two layers were quite enough.

Arnholt had brought Velvel with him, of course, along with one of his other adhiel or achadhiel brothers and sisters. As good cultists, they could presumably be depended upon to support the efforts of Righteous' self-proclaimed priest. Their project was to create a bridge between the Oneists and the pagans, superficially to promote peace and unity, but in reality to provide a platform for their Daemon-Goddess to pursue her own brand of Justice in the city.As such, Arnholt came bearing gifts: a wooden Eye and prayer beads in one hand, and a fistful of stalks of wheat in the other. One a symbol of Dominicus, and one representing the Mother. It was about as daring a declaration of peaceful intentions as Arnholt could think of for a Oneist monk such as himself, at least without going so far as to be branded a heretic by his own order.

He paused for a moment outside the temple to collect himself for the task ahead. Arnholt's expression remained blandly appreciative, but inside, 'Brother Beacon' was thrilled to be here for reasons that had little to do with the Goddess of Justice's agenda, though that of course remained paramount. Arnholt had long been fascinated by the pagan religions. This would be his first time actually setting foot into the temple of a heathen goddess, and that made it rather special. Still, despite having done everything he could to present a friendly appearance, Arnholt didn't care to risk alarming the pagans by just barging in uninvited, even dressed in their civilian clothes. Once the Oneists' monastic robes were revealed it couldn't help but look like an invasion.

So, he pounded one fist on the door in what he hoped sounded like a friendly (and definitely not an aggressive) manner. "Greetings from the Light of the One Monastery," he said, assuming someone had answered. "We have come here on a mission of goodwill. May we enter your temple, and will the priestess of the Mother receive us?"
Last edited by Arnholt on Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Syra
The Chocolate Game Designer

Post by Syra »

ooc
Post will soon be forthcoming after we sort out a small misunderstanding :)
Thanks!
[size=75]Chocolate is not an addiction, it is a way of life.

[/size]
Haikan
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Haikan »

Inside the door there was a bit of shouting and the sound of racing footsteps could be heard. Then there was silence and Arnholt could not hear anything inside. Velvel remained quiet and patient to Arnholt's right, and Shiera, a youthful and loyal brown-haired adhiel cultist stood to Arnholt's left. Both were ready to follow any command.

.=.

Outside the anteroom Gwayne could see that the worshipers were terrified. "We knew this day would come!" some shouted, but the saintly and loyal worshipers of the Mother were calm and collected. Vighxunna was one of these, and she calmly walked past Gwayne and into the main room of the temple. "Please excuse me, Brother." She said and she raised her arms for everyone in the temple to see. Even the most terrified of adhiels became deathly silent after she did this, obediently listening to what she had to say.

"Everybody calm down. The Mother will guide us, and we will pull through this. It was bound to happen, just pray for the right reactions, and that we may be protected from destruction." She turned to Gwayne and gave him a knowing look.

"Brother, would you come with me? This wolf might just have to give some of Her mercy... Let's hope their words of diplomacy are somehow honest." She did not believe for a second that the Oneists brought peace, but she boldly exited the main section of the temple and approached the door. She looked to see if Gwayne was behind her, and she opened the door.

.=.

Arnholt and his companions could see a friendly and motherly looking adhiel woman opening the door, and she smiled with sparkling eyes. "Welcome, guests. What business do you have with us?"
Arnholt
Civus

Post by Arnholt »

Inside the door there was a bit of shouting and the sound of racing footsteps could be heard. Then there was silence and Arnholt could not hear anything inside.

Arnholt exchanged a glance with Velvel as pandemonium erupted from behind the barely-hidden door. "Guess they didn't think we knew where their temple was, yet," he murmured. Which was probably fair, since it was hard to imagine how any typical monk of Dominicus could have located the place already. But then a typical monk of Dominicus didn't have a band of adhiel and achadhiel cultists to call on. Needless to say, that had made it quite a bit easier for him to unearth this open secret of the local elf community.

Well. If they're that frightened of being discovered, at least it means they'll be less likely to turn on us. Unless we do something stupid to panic them.

Arnholt and his companions could see a friendly and motherly looking adhiel woman opening the door, and she smiled with sparkling eyes. "Welcome, guests. What business do you have with us?"

"Greetings to you, priestess of Atara Arda." Arnholt smiled pleasantly himself. "I come on behalf of Father Rohan, and the Light of the One Monastery, in order to extend our hand to you in friendship." He held out the Oneist prayer beads and pagan shafts of wheat in offering. "The doors of our monastery have long been open to everyone," Arnholt said, "Oneist and pagan alike. Recently, however, we are all too aware that we have come to be seen by some among your people as the enemy... which saddens us. Having looked to our Lord in heaven for guidance, it is Father Rohan's judgment that the tensions we are facing this city must not be allowed to erupt into violence. In order to prevent a tragic misunderstanding, we are prepared to welcome your temple to our city. It is our hope that we can begin a dialogue between our faiths, in the spirit of Unity, to work together on issues of common concern and to resolve our differences in a peaceful and constructive fashion."

Words that were unlikely to immediately win over the pagans, but at least it was a start. It would be enough, Arnholt hoped, that they would at least be allowed into the Mother's temple for further negotiations, rather than have to continue speaking to the priestess through the doorway.

"I am Brother Beacon," Arnholt said, finally pulling back his own hood. "With me are Brother Velvel and Sister Shiera. May we have your permission to enter?"
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

The appearance of the One'ists at the temple brought no fear to the young adhiel, after all wasn't he a bringer of mercy ? So death was the last thing he feared, but he feared that harm would come to the temple and the souls it protected. He checked if his sacrificial knife was resting on its normal place before he smiled at Vighxunna and replied to her question with "The peace of the Mother shall extent to all her children, we shall bring them her mercy." What in this case could mean that Gwayne was ready to kill them or to safe them.

What was the same to him non the less.. Still for the young adhiel it was peace he preferred, so his weapon stayed in its resting place until it was needed, while he followed the Priestess.

Outside the door a whole herd of Onists was following a rather impressive man, and it did hurt Gwayne to see that the followers where mostly misguided adhiel. Still the words of the man shocked and confused him for a few fllickers and he wondered why the man offered friendship while his own experience with Oneists was only one of death and destruction of those they did see as heathens and their symbols.

Gwayne was unable to accept the words of the one called Beacon as truth, but if peace could be achieved he would welcome it, so he smiled welcoming. Even a wolf had the right of living and would be welcome in the mercy of the Mother.

So the man waited for the Priestess reaction.

Haikan

Post by Haikan »

The priestess flinched as Arnholt spoke the name of the Mother, but she dared not reflect her inner musings with a scowl. She turned to assure that she had Gwayne behind her, giving her support, and she gave a warm look to Arnholt. She had to be careful. The wrong words here could end her life, and more importantly, Gwayne's. She looked at Arnholt, then at Velvel, then at Shiera and her spiritual unrest was apparent in her eyes to both the adhiel. Velvel kept a bold expression, but Shiera averted her gaze from her. Both simply waited for Arnholt's instruction.

"All are welcome in our temple... Would the three of you come in? I have to ask you leave all of your implements of war at the door, if you have any. We are most enthusiastic to recieve a peace offering such as this, pardon if we are a bit skeptical."

She turned back to Gwayne and her eyes pierced through his. She was conveying her spiritual feeling to him through their gaze, and she caused him to feel as she did for that moment. He could almost turn her gaze into words in his mind, if he was 'listening'. Gwayne I do not believe they want peace. Be ready please, to save yourself and the others in this temple. You are the new mercy bringer. As you must soon become a priest of mercy.

Vighxunna led the three into the temple if they followed, and most of the adhiel were glued to the walls, peering at them suspiciously from a safe distance. Some youthful adhiel clung to their parents, but some of the bolder ones offered a threatening gaze to the invaders. There was a general feeling of mistrust, but about half of the worshipers' faces eased up as they saw the two adhiel that followed behind Arnholt. The other half seemed disappointed, their faces sank to see Dominican adhiels.

It was a peaceful reception, but a nervous one, and the discomfort was almost palpable. As they reached the center of the main room of worship, Vighxunna turned back to Arnholt and held her hand out to his. "Would everyone welcome our new guests. These folk claim to bring peace in the name of Dominicus." She bowed her head gratefully to the three of them, and the adhiels all relaxed as she seemed to trust them.
Arnholt
Civus

Post by Arnholt »

"All are welcome in our temple... Would the three of you come in? I have to ask you leave all of your implements of war at the door, if you have any. We are most enthusiastic to recieve a peace offering such as this, pardon if we are a bit skeptical."

"Ours is not a military order, priestess," he answered respectfully. "We have no implements of war."

He hadn't batted an eye at the request to leave their 'implements of war' at the door. He didn't make a move to hand over the dagger he had hidden up his voluminous monastic sleeve, either. If they held onto their weapons, the pagans would likely never know they had them; if they surrendered them now, some here would always wonder why a couple of monks and a nun had even been carrying sharpened steel. Anyway, if worse came to worst and they were somehow found out, at least he could argue that it depended on what 'implements of war' meant.

As the priestess turned away to lead them inside the temple, Arnholt jabbed Shiera in the side with an elbow in a somewhat un-monkish gesture. "Keep your head up, sister," he advised her in a low tone just short of a growl. "Remember who we serve." And he surreptitiously flashed the hook fingers denoting Righteous as he beckoned her to follow him into the temple. His message being, a follower of Righteous ought not to let an outsider cow her. And they were most certainly not sell-outs to Dominicus, whatever the priestess might think. Indeed, they were the greatest friends the pagans had... if only they knew.

"Would everyone welcome our new guests. These folk claim to bring peace in the name of Dominicus."

Not exactly a ringing endorsement. Not that Arnholt had really expected one. In any case, he smiled reassuringly and bowed low to the assembled adhiel worshippers.

"Would that it were so simple," he said. "We come prepared to make peace. And rest assured, priestess, we are under no illusion that it will be an easy task. Good people, I speak for the Light of the One Monastery. We are a holy order devoted to scholarship and learning, to charity, and to ascetic observances in devotion to our One God. Let me emphasize this: we are not the Inquisition. We grieve for the wounds opened by the recent war, which has brought nothing but pain to your people. We accept our complicity in that tragedy because, though we did not support our late King Balthasar's rash and ill-advised adventure, neither did we speak against it. We hope, however, that we can yet make amends and work to restore the trust that was lost. We are prepared to hear your grievances and to discuss terms to resolve them. It is our hope that you will likewise do us the favor of considering our own concerns. As an opening gesture of good faith, therefore, we are offering our official welcome to your temple, should you choose to publicly proclaim it."

A concession that Father Rohan likely would never have agreed to, except that it was widely accepted at the monastery that the Mother's Temple might proclaim itself any day now, anyway. Arnholt's argument had been a simple one: If the Light of the One Monastery railed against it, they risked fomenting a riot; if they tried to ignore the new pagan temple, they risked being seen as week. This way, at least, the monastery could remain relevant in Roque even in the face of dwindling support by its people. And at least they might get some credit among the adhiel for their "openmindedness." As for the Mother's temple, the monastery's tacit endorsement would provide a great deal of insulation against reprisals from Oneists in the city, and so increase the place's chances for survival. It would be a good deal all around.

Not that Arnholt actually gave a damn about any of that. All that really mattered was that even the flimsiest alliance between monastery and temple would provide excellent cover for the Cult of Righteous to grow.
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

Gwayne listened intensely to the words of both the monk and his Priestess pondering and fearing the results of the meeting that could easily end in a bloodbath, something that the man would prefer to prevent.

Still when the Priestess asked them to leave the "Implements of war" at the door he knew already that there was a chance that they would have hidden weapons. Just because he would have..

The words that suddenly entered his mind made him also jump. Gwayne I do not believe they want peace. Be ready please, to save yourself and the others in this temple. You are the new mercy bringer. As you must soon become a priest of mercy.

The words brought joy and sadness to the man, a priest of mercy serves in a way the dark side of the Goddess, still death would bring change to those who need it, change for a new start. So with a sigh he accepted the future that was laid out for him and he turned towards the Monk.

"I am Gwayne, the bringer of the Mothers mercy. So while we walk towards the peace that you say you are bringing. I want to tell you that I am willing to give you my trust, but only as a part of a exchange. I hope that for now the children of the Mother can stay hidden from view from those who don't have follow same agenda as you do. Because I view that if those guided by hatred in the name of your God will find us, they will try to destroy us."

After a few flickers of silence he resumed. "Know also that you will leave this place unharmed, whatever the outcome of the talks, as long as you don't harm any of those involved. So no weapons won't be needed because inside this building you are our guests.. So please don't violate our trust. You will get returned what you give us."

The young man felt suddenly old and responsible for many people. If these followers of Dominicus would betray them they would resieve the Goddess mercy, if not, her protection as everybody else. Life was taking strange turns lately, very strange turns. The man smiled at the honoured guests, after all mercy and protection could come in many forms.

He suppressed the urge to sing and just looked forward, he had made his point.
Last edited by Gwayne of Vendeling on Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Haikan

Post by Haikan »

Vixghxunna looked at Arnholt's sleeve, and at Shiera's boot with much of a disapproving gaze. She seemed to have a bitter taste in her mouth, but she humbly remained quiet and allowed Gwayne to make his point. As he and Arnholt finished she looked around, to gauge the reaction from the current worshipers in the temple. Many had tears in their eyes, and some still looked very mad, a combination between wrinkled angry brows and sagging depressed eyes.

"Make amends? Make amends? Bring back my Lena!" One brave adhiel man said. Another, a girl who stood next to him piped up as well. "Bring back my entire family!" An older adhiel, with still black hair, but an aged face contributed in a deep voice. "Bring back our dignity."

"Come now, children, this is hardly productive." Vighxunna raised her arms, and they retreated their contributions. "As he stated, he was not one of the many who destroyed our lives, ruined our homeland and decimated our people." The adhiels cringed as she said this, and Shiera did too, but she caught herself and looked at Arnholt with a guilty face, and she remembered her purpose here. "Children, I think it would be wonderful if we could finally gain the ears of the dominicans, that we may have peace, and possibly the basic right of religious freedom."

Velvel nodded his head at this. Religious freedom was something he was willing to promise in the name of Righteous. In a calm voice, he spoke. "We will extend a bridge between our peoples, mother, that much I can promise you." He locked his eyes with Gwayne, and he donned a pleasant and persuasive grin, seeming interested in gaining his trust before even Vigxhunna's.
Last edited by Haikan on Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arnholt
Civus

Post by Arnholt »

Vixghxunna looked at Arnholt's sleeve, and at Shiera's boot with much of a disapproving gaze. She seemed to have a bitter taste in her mouth, but she humbly remained quiet and allowed Gwayne to make his point.

Arnholt's bland smile didn't falter, but he knew he had just been outmaneuvered. Whoever the hell this Gwayne person was, he had just robbed the cultists of any hope of quibbling on the point of what was or wasn't an 'implement of war.' More importantly, the priestess had apparently already spotted their hidden hardware, so there was little point in insisting on his bluff. Give in now, and at worst he looked like a goddamn liar who nonetheless hadn't come here to kill anyone; refuse, and he was a jackass who was suspiciously adamant about carrying around a 'hidden' dagger while lying through his teeth about being unarmed. So the disguised cultist inclined his head slightly, conceding the point with as much grace as possible.

"We are of course as aware of the risks here as you are," he said quietly, drawing the small blade to hand it over hilt-first. "In these dark times, even a monk may carry a blade in self-preservation. I agree, however, that for the purposes of this meeting your word is protection enough." Fuck it all.

"Make amends? Make amends? Bring back my Lena!" One brave adhiel man said. Another, a girl who stood next to him piped up as well. "Bring back my entire family!" An older adhiel, with still black hair, but an aged face contributed in a deep voice. "Bring back our dignity."

Arnholt just stood there looking somber, waiting for the adhiel to get the wild recriminations out of their system, in the hopes of returning to some sort of dialogue. Luckily Vixghxunna calmed the crowd before he had to give it a try; if the elves' mood turned ugly they would simply have shouted him down. Having reproached Shiera once, he did not bother doing so again; he figured she'd only get more nervous if he growled at her every time she appeared off-message. Clearly not every cultist had Velvel's acting chops. But who knew? Maybe her more genuine reactions would win them, or at least her, a little bit of sympathy here. Arnholt would have words with her about the whole thing later. For now, he ventured an encouraging nod and faint, reassuring smile.

He had cast a significant glance at Velvel at the crowd's first, angry demands, silently bidding him to remember the faces of tho one who had spoken. Those adhiel who seemed most intractable now might well be the most valuable to the Righteous Order later on. The bigger the grudge an elf carried, the more likely it would be that he could be turned to the Goddess of Justice in order to find satisfaction.

"We cannot restore to you your dead," Arnholt told the assembled adhiel. "But we can honor their memory by preventing further loss of life. We cannot erase from history the damage done in our One God's name. But we can provide restitution as best as we are able. We cannot offer the ear of the regency, at present, or address your concerns affecting places far from here. But within the walls of Roque d'Ancourt, our voice will ring out loud and clear. The monastery speaks for Unity, now. And we have learned, to our sorrow, the terrible cost of silence. If we work together, our voice will yet be heard across nations." The cultist turned his eyes to the priestess. "It is my belief that in the end the determined seeker of truth will always find his or her place in the light. The Light of the One Monastery is prepared, therefore, to engage you in the free marketplace ideas. Henceforth, may no one's perspective be silenced by threats or intimidation."

He turned to Gwayne, now. "The monastery speaks with one voice on this matter." Which was even arguably true. "As you say, however, not everyone of our faith... even within this city... agrees with our perspective. However much it pains me, I can hardly deny that there are still many within our Church who continue to preach the old philosophy of hatred and intolerance, and many among the laity who follow it. I would argue that this unfortunate fact only makes it even more necessary that we work together in opposing such oppression. "
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

Gwayne had many thoughts and painful feelings to ignore while he tried to ignore the emotional side of the situation. Memories of what had happened in the past, the fear and pain and loss of loved ones. The bringer of mercy had to accept death as just a different blessing of the Mother. A feeling of loss and fear mixed with doubt was still there. He also thought about what the purpose of these people was. Power, fear, influence or the creation of chaos.. al options that Gwayne considered while searching in himself for answers.

In the end it did not matter, the Mother was not strong enough here to face the full fury that could be released by the horde of the one. If the secret of the temple should come out now the stones of the temple would drown in the blood of the innocent. Not that he considered himself innocent, after all he had failed and doubted many times, and the blood of many was on his hands.. even some who had not requested for mercy and they still died by his hands.

All his thoughts stopped when the monks gave him the weapons. He accepted them in silence, no surprise there. He kept and looked at them them for a flicker before returning them hilt first to the owners. The action was accompanied with a simple "Thank you.. please hold them with you. As they are no weapons anymore, you are no enemy. Just keep them visible so you can defend us."

For Gwayne it was enough that they had offered them, now he returned the weapons who where noy hidden anymore, as he had touched and returned them to trusted partners. It was not friendliness that prompted the man to do so, it was the fact that he trusted the Mother with his life, and he knew that these weapon could not destroy the temple, words of those outside the place could.

The people started to shout so he raised his arms to calm them down, although he did not expect much, as they did not know him, nor his function except for a few who would recognize the knife resting on his back. The mercy knife contained a promise of death, release of pain and the granting of a new chance on life when reborn. The words of the old Adhiel triggered something in the young man when he faced him and with soft but clear words said. "We never lost our dignity, and the destroyers never took it except from those who surrendered their faith in return for a chance of survival." His own words called forth pain inside Gwayne.

He listened to the words of Arnholt how sounded sincere, like a good politician.. and who trusted politicians, well not Gwayne. He liked the words non the less, ad least they where positive and not something you expected from a Oneist. It did tell him one thing though, he concluded that this was the man who was in control or striving to be. After all they followed the One.. not the many.

Being distracted for a moment by Velvel the mercybringer listened once again evaluation the words, nodding but not answering the smile. It took the man a few flickers before he answered, time that for some could have lasted for ages.

"I think before we can think of building a bridge.. we better think of the foundation and hope that does not have hidden weak spots like we just noticed in our start..... we have hope, nothing more, that's the sad truth." the words did not contain any form of sarcasm,

Soon after Arnholts words came to the adhiel, words filled with Arnholts own wisdom. Gwayne answered. "In the forests of the Mother there are many tree's of many forms and sizes. They all compete for a place in her sun, some succeed some fail. Its all in the cycle of life. For now we are a small tree, easy to break. And as I judge well.. so are you and your followers. I have never known followers of the One who would accept change, so what does make you different. What is our value to you ? As our share in the ruling of this city is hidden and not easy to use.. What do you really want of us ? Do you want us to be your hidden weapon against your brothers ?"

Somehow Gwayne knew that the answers to these questions could change his world.. still change was where he lived for... and the Mother would guide him, in her mercy we trust.
Last edited by Gwayne of Vendeling on Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Haikan

Post by Haikan »

As Arnholt handed his weapon over to Gwayne, Shiera kicked her toe against the ground revealing a long bootknife she had been hiding. She spent several flickers trying to remove it from her foot. She finally did so and offered it to Gwayne, but when he handed it back, she just looked the other way. "No sir, I am ashamed, please keep it." She said, but as he insisted, she took it back, with a sad look on her face. She looked at Arnholt and curled her fingers to make the sign of Righteous. "We are allies here." She then remained quiet and stood behind Arnholt. Velvel bravely remained where he stood aside their leader, and he gave a diplomatic smile to Gwayne as he spoke to them.

"Wait, I think I misunderstand you..." Said Vigxhunna to Arnholt. "...You wish to help us raise a sword against our enemies? Isn't that dangerous for monks of Dominicus?" She had a quizzical look on her face and the rest of the temple shared that look. "We would obviously enjoy such assistance, but pardon us if we're slow to trust this. Is there any way you can prove such an alliance of interest?" She knew that whatever she said, if they didn't end up in agreement, the temple would be found out. If things went wrong she was counting on Gwayne to terminate them, and yet... She felt as if she could trust these people.

Arnholt could notice a perverted and unclean glow of hatred in Gwayne. He shares your hate, my priest. His hate... Is impure... It is a weak and pitiful form of hate... It is called sadness... He could either be a terrifying enemy, or an invaluable ally... The woman's voice sounded ornery and lustful for the blood of Dominicus. Righteous was impatient, and this meeting was long and boring. She preferred haste and violence over talk, reason and diplomacy.
Last edited by Haikan on Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Roque d'Ancourt”