Career Change [Amber - Jygust 30th, Very Early MT]

The glorious Summer City upon the white cliffs of the magical Mer de la Luna in the Western Kingdom that harbours many nobles. Home to the Summer Palace of the former King as well as vineyards that produce the city's famous wines. Anything is possible here, if you are willing to bring the right sacrifices.

Moderators: Ashari, Haikan

Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Looking deep into Amber's eyes, Envergine noted the truth in the prone girl's eyes. Stepping off her and allowing her arm to drop, she moved back, pointing to a chair as she bent over to scoop up the dropped knife. "Sit," she commanded, not expecting any fight now, though she kept on edge, waiting, just in case.
[i]Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.[/i]
George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

[size=75]Avatar by Lena[/size]
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Amber just lay on the deck for a long moment, craddling her wounded arm to her chest as she tried to regain her breath. Finally though, she pushed herself to her feet and did as she was told, sitting in the nearest chair she could find. She crossed her arms over her breasts, adopting what she hoped was a posture of quiet defiance without being threatening.

"If you don't have a job for me," she said quietly, "you should let me go. I came here to do a job, that's all. It's nothing against you or... whatever it is you have going on here."
Cowgirls Exotica's "Queen of Hearts" - 2008
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

"Yeah, well, your job just cost me a guard," Envergine spit out as she glared at Amber. The iron crop came out to hit Amber on the wrist. "Uncross your arms. Even when in a position of powerlessness, you shouldn't show it," she commanded.

"And you know damn well what we do here, or you wouldn't be here," she added. "Is that the kind of job you're looking for? Human mattress? Want to spread it for every piece of scum that comes on here with a few coins?"
[i]Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.[/i]

Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Amber yelped as the crop struck her wrist before she even saw it coming, and she instinctively pulled her hand up higher, pressing the already forming bruise against her lips in an effort to soothe the biting pain. She glared at Envergine, steadfastly refusing to obey for a moment. But then she hesitated, and slowly, she lowered her arms, letting her hands rest in her lap, baring her breasts before the other woman.

"No, I have no intention of being a common whore," she muttered. "That was just a cover for me to get into position to kill Nadia. And I know that what happens on this ship is just the surface of things. All the women, all the sex, and... whatever else you call all that... it goes deeper than that. It has to. Otherwise, you wouldn't have hired a member of the Waterstreet Gang from Dort to be a guard for you."

She looked startled and closed her mouth with a click of her teeth, as if she was afraid she'd said too much.

(OOC: Sorry for my late post. My ship is currently in operations, and my internet was cut off for security reasons. But I'm back for now! :wink: )
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Envergine smiled, though it didn't reach her eyes. "Clever girl, aren't you? But not clever enough. If you were as clever as you want me to believe you are, you wouldn't have gotten cost." She paused, tilted her head. "First kill?"

Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Amber sighed quietly - and once again resisted the urge to cover her breasts again. The modesty her mother had instilled in her was a hard habit to kill, apparently.

Envergine was right. If she'd properly thought things through, she wouldn't have allowed herself to be caught. She'd struck too soon, before she'd planned things out right. There was no point lying, now. "Yeah," she murmured, once again seeing Nadia's eyes as the blade slipped easily into her body. "First kill. First time..."
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Envergine watched as Amber fought not to hide herself. It was a sign of stubborness, which she could use. The girl hadn't broken down when she killed Nadia, wasn't breaking down now. There was steel in Amber's spine and she just had to find a way to bend it to the shape she wanted.

"You did okay, but you didn't think it out. You need to know your escape option and have at least 3. From what I could see, the cuts were messy. It would have been better to have her back pressed against your front and slit from ear to ear. It cuts off any cry and kills quickly. Not as messy for you, either," she offered. "I could teach you how to kill, if you work for me."

Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Amber started to look a little ill as Envergine described the what the best way to kill Nadia would have been. She hadn't come here to kill the girl in the first place; it had only been a last resort. Something inside her cried out against the idea of learning not just how to kill someone, but how to assassinate them. How to murder them.

But, if she was going to continue on being a bounty hunter, wouldn't she need to know how to kill someone quickly and quietly, with a minimum amount of mess? Situations like this would happen again. Nadia wouldn't be the last mark she'd have to kill. As much as she abhorred the idea of killing someone without facing them in a fair fight, she didn't see any reason why she couldn't learn.

On the other hand, Envergine obviously was not a nice woman. No one on this ship likely would be, but Envergine seemed even worse than the others she'd seen so far. There was something darker about her, something much more sinister. She didn't know if she was the woman in charge, but she definitely had an air of command around her. A dangerous air.

"Work for you," she echoed. Her stubborness, her defiance, started to rise again. She decided to press a little. "I thought you were a whore or something. And I told you that I wouldn't have sex with people for money. That's not what I came here for."
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Envergine sneered down at Amber, darkness in her eyes, her mouth thinning. "I was, once upon a time. But now, I screw the customers another way," she replied, a coldness in her voice that spoke of dark deeds. "And you'll do what I say, no matter what. If I tell you to drop to your knees and open wide, you'll do it. Because you know, if you don't, there's a very good chance those will be the last words you'll ever hear."

She stood up and took a step closer to Amber. "Do you want to learn how to kill or not?"

Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Amber slid back in her chair as Envergine stepped closer to her, and involuntary reaction to a threat that was approaching. And this time, she couldn't stop her hands from instinctively coming up to cover her breasts again. Even though she was obviously worried by this dark woman, the look of defiance and indignant anger - the reaction of a girl that was far too naive for her own good to be doing this sort of thing - was once again creeping across her face. It was plain that she disliked being threatened, especially with such vulgar things. She didn't respond well to threats, but as Envergine had already discovered, physical punishment did seem to bring about better results.

"I... Yes, I do want to learn," she said finally. "But you can't make me 'open' for anyone. So there." It was a petulant response, a weak one. Amber knew she had absolutely no room to bargain or make deals or compromises, but her stubborness was refusing to just back down and give in just yet.
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Envergine sneered at Amber's excuse for defiance. "We'll see," she said, turning suddenly, stalking over to a cabinet. She unlocked it, reached in, pulled out something which she threw at Amber. It was a clean shirt, white. It would be snug, but it would cover her, at least.

"I'll take you to your room and we'll start in the morning. I'll send the doctor to look at your wrist. Come on. I've got other shit to clean up," she growled, waiting for Amber to rise and follow her. "I don't have all night."

Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Despite her attempt at defiance, Amber flinched as the shirt was thrown at her. Apparently, she'd been expecting something else, something that would hurt upon impact. She balked in surprise at the shirt for a moment, then quickly slipped it on, struggling for a second to pull it over her ample breasts. But finally, she got it on and stood, deciding to ignore the immodestly tight fit.

She started after Envergine, making sure to stay a few steps back. "Can I have my knives back?" she queried.
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

"Not until you've proven yourself," Envergine replied over her shoulder, then opened a door and stepped in. "You'll stay here tonight. Tomorrow, after we start your training, then we'll see if you get them back. No one will bother you."

The room was small, just one small bed, barely big enough for one person. There was a washbasin, a trunk, and a very small mirror. The window was too narrow for Amber to get out of.

Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Amber stepped into the room and looked around. It was small, far smaller than her room back home, even, but there had been nights she'd had to sleep with no bed at all, so she knew better than to complain. Especially to Envergine.

She sat down on the edge of the bed silently. She had nothing to say, and frankly, she needed some time to process everything that had happened over the past few minutes. She'd gone from being in control, certain of where her life was headed, to having absolutely no control at all. Despite Envergine's promise that she'd be left alone, she wasn't certain that she'd even survive to see the sun rise in a few hours.
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

Amber was alone for about a burn before there was a knock on the door. "Ma'am? I'm the healer. Ma'am?," came a tenative voice from behind the door.

Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Amber had curled up on the small bed, and was just beginning to doze off into an exhausted slumber when the knock woke her up suddenly. She sat up with a start, for a split second seeing Envergine's crop swinging toward her face in her mind. She sat there for a moment, shaking off the bad dream, and realized that someone was at her door.

She sat up and stretched, wincing as tired muscles protested. "Come in," she called softly, wondering what exactly a healer could do for her. True, her wrist hurt like hell - it was a wonder nothing was broken - but she was uncertain as to whether or not anything but rest and not using it much could help it.
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

A small man stepped through the door and quickly closed it behind him. He was neat in appearance, though otherwise unremarkable. He had dishwater brown hair, regular features, and dull eyes. "Miss Envergine said you hurt your wrist. May I see, ma'am?," he asked, his Human without any distinct accent. It was almost as if he weren't real, as unremarkable as he was. He held out his hand, standing a respectable distance away, his eyes never straying from her arm.

Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Amber regarded the man carefully for a long moment, but he didn't seem to be any sort of threat. "I didn't 'hurt my wrist,'" she said sourly. "Envergine smacked me with that damn metal thing of hers. I wasn't even doing anything except sitting there."

She held out her wrist to him, and noticed for the first time how badly bruised it was. It hurt to even move her fingers.
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

The man didn't comment on Envergine's brutality. It was more commonplace than she might know. Still, he took it gently, examining the bruises. "Hmmm. Its sprained. Let me just..." He reached into his bag and pulled out a jar, some sticks and some bandages. The ointment was cool to the skin, the pain immediately starting to fade. He then splinted her wrist gently, the bandages soft, keeping her wrist straight. "I shall come back tomorrow and remove those. Keep from using it for a few days and the swelling will go down. Drink this. It will help you sleep." He reached into his bag and pulled out a small flask, handing it to Amber.

Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Amber watched silently as he worked on her wrist. She was surprised at how quickly the pain started to fade as he applied the ointment. She didn't like having her wrist splinted so that she couldn't really use her hand at all - after all, a knife fighter lived or died by how well she could use her hands - but if she wanted it to heal, there was no point arguing.

She pushed the flask away, though. "No, I don't want to sleep," she said. "Envergine will come for me soon. I don't want her to go about thwacking me again because I can't wake up."
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

The unremarkable man nodded. "As you wish, ma'am," he said, putting the flask back into his bag. "I shall be back later. Rest well." He moved back out of the room, leaving Amber to rest. The sky was still dark and would be for a while.

Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Amber laid back on the bed as the man left. She was tired, but the visit had ruined her desire to sleep. She lay there for a long, long time, endless thoughts running through her head. Sleep eluded her completely. She knew she wouldn't be able to sleep until she knew what Envergine had planned for her.

The time passed, and still, she just lay there, awake, afraid, and uncertain.
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

The door opened with a bang. "Okay, lets go. Time to start training. Hope you got some sleep," growled Envergine, holding the metal baton in her hand. "Is that hand your primary?," she asked, gesturing towards the splint wrist.

Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Amber nearly fell out of the bed in surprise as the door slammed open. She looked up at Envergine with wide eye, unable to disguise the fear this woman created in her. She felt her heart pounding in her chest.

"Um... no," she stammered. "My... my right hand is my... primary." She stood up slowly, wondering what her training would consist of.
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

"Alright then, come with me," the woman barked, then turned and moved out of the room, expecting Amber to follow.

She moved them out into the open air, the stench of the close quarters gone. She turned and held out the metal baton. "We'll start with this. You need to know where to hit to silence an opponent." She waited for Amber to take hold of the stick.

Return to “Roque d'Ancourt”