Tips in Beauty - Jygust 30, TT 3rd mark

The glorious Summer City upon the white cliffs of the magical Mer de la Luna in the Western Kingdom that harbours many nobles. Home to the Summer Palace of the former King as well as vineyards that produce the city's famous wines. Anything is possible here, if you are willing to bring the right sacrifices.

Moderators: Ashari, Haikan

Alexandrya L`handriel
Tazlure Supporter

Tips in Beauty - Jygust 30, TT 3rd mark

Post by Alexandrya L`handriel »

The silver-haired achadhiel had completed her chores with the help of Angelica. They had a peaceful dinner and cleaned up after themselves. As the third mark approached the two had done their stretches and practised different dance movements that Alexandrya had observed. It was nice to spend time and keep each other entertained. It was wonderful to hear the child laughing as Mojo jumped up and down trying to play along with the two dancers.

After their dance the two cooled down with more stretches and used a cool cloth to wipe themselves down. Angelica headed off to bed and her guardian followed with a story book at hand. After reading two chapters, Angelica was nestled peacefully against the pillows. Alexandrya kissed the child on the forehead and rubbed Mojo's ears before wrapping a shawl around her shoulder. She secured the door before heading to the Fowl's house.

"Solange?" Alexandrya called out as she headed upstairs to start her search for the owner of the house.
Avatar is ©Nairohe, used with permission because she is the awesomest! [url=http://nairohe.deviantart.com/]Nairohe[/url]
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

Post by Viviana Kaleyis »

Children! Why do we even have them? Solange shook her head as she picked up something unidentifiable and slimy from the floor of her son's sleeping room. Wrinkling her nose, she tossed the nasty thing into the bag at her feet. Why couldn't boys learn to clean up after themselves? Hadn't she taught Wes better than that? She'd raised him as best as she could, but now that he was growing up ...

“Solange?”

Alazandra's voice interrupted her thoughts. Ahh, a welcome respite from an unwelcome necessity. She hoped the girl would stay awhile.

“I'm up here, Alazandra,” she called, appearing on the landing at nearly the same time as her silver-haired visitor. She stepped aside for Alexandrya to join her at the top of the stairs. She knew she must look a fright dressed as she was in an old tattered shirt, worn breeches, and a scarf tied around her head. Hopefully, though, the young woman wouldn't mind.

“Please forgive my appearance,” she said, smiling at Alexandrya. “You caught me cleaning Wes's room. A word of advice ...” she leaned forward, as if imparting a secret. “If you have children, have only girls. Boys are impossible.”

She led Alexandrya down the short hallway into the small study that served as her office. Books lined the walls, mostly volumes of old plays which sometimes served as inspiration for the Fowls' impromptu stunts. A desk sat against the far wall, holding an open book, assorted pieces of parchment, an inkwell, and a lamp. A simple wooden chair sat in front of it, a red ruffled cushion covering its seat. A small table flanked with two comfortable leather chairs made up the only other furniture in the room. The table contained another lamp and an open journal, which Solange quickly closed before motioning Alexandrya into one of the leather chairs. “Please take a seat,” she offered.

Crossing to the desk, the older woman closed the book and placed the journal on top of it. She was quite fond of Alazandra, although she doubted the girl had told her the complete truth about herself. When you had been acting for more than half of your life, you learned to tell when someone was holding something back. Body language, facial expressions, the tone of a voice ... everything told a story. Unless you were well trained, that story was difficult to hide, especially from someone who was.

It was none of her business though. Everyone had the right to a few secrets. Solange had quite a few of her own, some of which were written in the very journal she had just removed from her guest's view.

“So what brings you to see me today, Alazandra?” she asked, returning to the girl and taking the other chair. “Nothing too serious, I hope.”
Alexandrya L`handriel
Tazlure Supporter

The achadhiel giggled softly at the mention of girls and boys. "Well if one had a choice, I suppose a girl would be delightful but with their own set of unpleasant qualities."

Alazandra grinned and shook her head. "Nothing serious. I have been feeling much better and working just as hard as you are." She relaxed a little in the chair that she was offered and sighed. "Well, I knew this day would come. I was wondering if you could go over some beautification techniques with me."

The aspiring actress looked like she was trying to hide a blush and failing miserably. "I have never formally learned and I would think it would help with getting myself as well as the other actors and actresses ready a bit faster when out on our impromptu acts. Also, it would not be so bad to look a bit more glamorous every now and then when the time permits itself."

Alexandrya hoped that Solange remembered the request about it yesterday, but she understood that the head of the Fowls had a lot on her mind these days. "You said you might have a bit of time so here I am at your disposal."
Avatar is ©Nairohe, used with permission because she is the awesomest! [url=http://nairohe.deviantart.com/]Nairohe[/url]
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

“Why of course.” Solange smiled, although she had, indeed, forgotten Alazandra's request. She'd been busy thinking up new stunts for the Fowls, as well as interviewing a person she hoped might be the newest member of their group. He certainly had a few tricks up his sleeves where disguise was concerned, and disguise was most definitely needed now that her actors were becoming more and more recognizable.

“I have plenty of time right now. Cleaning can always wait, as far as I'm concerned. And this will be a great opportunity to break in the room I have redesigned especially for getting ourselves ready for performances. Come on, I'll show you.”

She guided Alexandrya down the stairs and into a room formerly used for storing costumes and props. The props were gone, but the costumes were still there, hung neatly on rods suspended from the ceiling. There was a large folding screen in front of the nearest corner, creating an impromptu dressing area. A sparkly robe was draped haphazardly over it and a feathered hat hung from one corner.

The most impressive item in the room, though, was the large mirror nearly covering the far wall. A mirror that size must have cost a fortune, and Solange was not a wealthy woman. Yet she had obtained it somehow. On each side of the mirror, there were three small shelves on the wall. The lowest shelves were at the level of an one's face if one was sitting down. The middle ones were on the level of one's face if one was standing up, and the highest were close to the top of the mirror. Each shelf held an oil lamp. A long table with several drawers along its length stood beneath the mirror. There was space for four chairs, and each one's seat, covered by a red ruffled cushion similar to the one in the room upstairs, was pushed under the table.

Solange beamed as Alexandrya looked around the room. “It was just finished this morning,” she said proudly. “It gives us one central location in which to dress and do our faces before we perform. The women will go first, since it usually takes us longer to get ready, and then the men can use it afterward. I'm afraid I didn't have either the space or the resources for two such rooms. But we will make do.”

As she spoke, she lit the two bottom lamps on either side of the mirror. Although lighting lamps during daylight was rather frivolous, the flickering light did enhance the image Alexandrya saw of herself in the glass.

“For nighttime performances, all six lamps can be lit,” she explained. “That way, we'll never have to do our makeup in dim light again.”

She pulled out two of the chairs. Plopping herself down in one of them, opening one of the drawers and pulling out pots of various colorful substances. Smiling at Alexandrya through the mirror, she asked: “So what do you think of the room? And what would you like to learn first?”
Alexandrya L`handriel
Tazlure Supporter

"Oooh, so this is what you have hidden yourself away for?! It's magnificent!" Bright, curious eyes took in the lamps, and the large mirror. "It would help the others a lot getting ready. Of course, with Antonia not here, the set up time is cut in half." It was not supposed to be an insult to the girl that had left the Fowls, more like fact, the girl tend to take so much time to get ready most would think she was growing a whole new person to look just like her as part of her process of 'getting ready'.

"Learn...uhm...hmm..." A long pause to ponder where to even start. "I guess at the beginning. In all honesty, I've only had others doing my hair and make up and well often times I just wash up and put my hair in a ponytail to work. Not a lot of make up is used, not even kohl or rouge. I do not want to look like a painted hussy but perhaps to outline my features?" She started to blush. "It has been a long time since I have looked glamorous and I would like to know how to do it."

Alexandrya sat down in a chair and looked at all of the pots of colors and instruments. "Does one do their hair first before putting all this on, or am I mistaken, or does it really matter? Do you have a daily ritual Solange?"
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

Again, Solange wondered about Alazandra's past and what she was holding back. So she had always had someone else to do her hair and face. Was she a noble, perhaps, running away from a marriage she didn't want? A companion who no longer wished to be at the beck and call of a man? Solange supposed it was possible, although most likely her imagination was running away with her again. Hmmmm ... might be a skit for the Fowls ... a beautiful girl running through the crowd begging them for help while an older man chases her, pleading for her to come back to him. Could work.

She compared her own face to Alazandra's in the mirror. She had been beautiful herself once, but those days were long past. She was most definitely showing her age. Yet that was how life went. She had had her day in the sun. Now it was Alazandra's turn.

The girl was beautiful without makeup or a fancy hairdo. But Solange knew she couldn't tell her that. The young never listened to such advice. Neither had she when she was young. Still, a little kohl around the eyes, a bit of color to her lips, and definitely some rouge ... she thought Alazandra looked so cute when she blushed.

“I guess it doesn't really matter," she said. "I find it easier to do makeup first. That way you can tie back your hair while you do your face and you won't get anything on it. Makeup is not easy to get out of hair, especially hair as light as your own. And no, I don't have a daily ritual. I very rarely wear makeup anymore, and you can see how I usually do my hair.” She shook her red ponytail for emphasis. She couldn't see the point in wearing makeup when she knew more effective ways to change her appearance. But Alazandra was not here to learn that, thank goodness.

Solange excused herself and left the room, returning in a few short burns with two bowls of water, two white cloths and a black ribbon. She placed one bowl close to Alexandrya and the other one beside her own spot. “This is for mess-ups,” she said. “I've been doing faces for yahren and I still don't always get it right the first time.

“Now sit still for a moment while I tie back your hair.” She gently lifted Alexandrya's hair from her neck and tied it loosely with the ribbon to keep it out of her face. Then she sat back down and once again observed her guest through the mirror.

“I usually start with the eyes.” She set a pot of black powder and a stick with a small rounded end in front of Alexandrya. “Watch what I do.” Solange picked up another stick and stuck the rounded end in her own kohl pot. Pulling it out, she outlined both the eyelid and the bottom of her left eye in two smooth strokes. “Now you try.”
Alexandrya L`handriel
Tazlure Supporter

Grey eyes watched Solange's actions intensely, never blinking to ensure she did not miss a stroke. It seemed simple enough and she has had some practise with some of her disguises but most of the time the make up artists often did her make up.

She picked up the other stick and trying to mimic Solange's movements stuck the rounded end into the provided kohl pot. Carefully pulling it out, she held her breath as she tried to outline the eyelid and the bottom of her right eye using the boss' two stroke method while watching herself in the mirror trying to not poke her eye out.

Alexandrya could not believe women did this every day to become beautiful. As a child, her father would often given her compliments of how pretty she was, and her mother approved of her cleanliness. It was only in the World's Mouth production that she was ever described as beautiful and seductive. Strangely, it was often times when she did not feel like either. People were odd. She continued to stare into the mirror and resisted the urge to make a funny face.
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

Solange thought Alexandrya did rather well, although she was a bit heavy-handed with the kohl. “Very good,” she said in encouragement. “You have a steady hand. But you need to draw a much thinner line. Just barely touch the stick to your skin. It will be lighter and thinner that way, and will look much more natural on your fair skin. Close your eyes.”

She stood up, dipped Alexandrya's cloth in water, and gently wiped the kohl from her eyes with only two strokes. Kohl did not usually come off so easily with only water and a cloth. Solange set the cloth down, the stained corner resting in the water bowl. The stain slowly dissolved.

“Now try again.”

Alexandrya's second try was nearly perfect.

“Now you just need practice,” Solange said. “We're going to do something different with the other eye. I learned this trick from a friend who came from Amun Rah. It makes you look a bit exotic without being too obvious about it.”

Solange lined her right eyelid as usual but added an upward flick at the outer corner of her eye. She did the same with the bottom of her eye, blending the two flicks together. Now she had a small but subtle upward curve to her eye. It made her look, at least in her own opinion, elegant and exotic. “I wouldn't do this every day, but it makes a nice effect when you really want to impress. It doesn't look good on everyone, though. Try it and see how you like it.”
Alexandrya L`handriel
Tazlure Supporter

The silvery head bobbed up in down in understanding as she watched Solange with blue-grey eyes. It almost seemed like she did not blink during the moment that Solange drew on her face. Her mother long ago had her practise her alphabet as well as painting but it did not take quite as well as her cursive. This felt a little of both. The positive feedback did help ease some tension in trying something new for the first time.

Alexandrya tried once again with the subtle change that Solange suggested. The exotic little touch made her smile then she made a face in the mirror. "I do not know how people do this every day, but I suppose they get to be quite professional at making their own faces." She even crossed her eyes dispelling the illusion of beauty with silliness.

"My mother always looked quite elegant and untouchable. Sometimes I cannot believe she is gone. At times she looked like a queen made of ice and then there were times when she was as warm and alive as my father. I guess I have a little of both of them inside of me." She gave a small little smile and even managed a chuckle. "The past is the past but always unforgettable no matter how much you try to forget, but I wonder why it all flooded back right now. I guess I just remembered my mother putting make up on her face, preparing herself for one of her grand balls. Solange, have you ever been to a ball?"

Slender fingers examined the water that made the kohl disappear and wondered about it as she listened to Solange's answer if there is one. Then interjected another, "What is in this water to make the smear disappear?" Curiosity tinged in her voice.
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

The girl learned fast, Solange thought. She drew the little curve perfectly. It looked good on her too, made her look just a little bit mysterious. She smiled when Alazandra pulled a face and crossed her eyes. Solange used to do that too, back when she was young and beautiful. She had never seen herself as beautiful, although other people had told her so constantly. Perhaps Alazandra felt that way as well. Now whenever Solange made a face, it just made her tiny wrinkles more pronounced.

She sat silent and still as Alazandra spoke of her mother. She didn't want to call attention to herself and stop the girl now that she was speaking about her past. Not only was Solange curious about her, but she loved to learn people's stories. Often they served as fodder for the Fowls' impromptu skits. Inspiration could come from anywhere or anything and Solange tried not to miss any opportunities.

It was sad that her mother was dead, though. Solange's own mother had never shown much interest in her, leaving her to be raised by her father and older brothers. She had run away to the theatre when she was only fourteen. Three yahren later she was the most sought after actress in Roque d'Ancourt.

“Oh, I've been to many balls, Alazandra,” she said in answer to the silver-haired achadhiel's question. Her eyes clouded as she remembered. “Thinking back on it now, I went to so many social events that I am surprised I had any time to rehearse or act. Life was one big party before Wes was born.” Wes. The love of her life. He was the son of one of the powerful nobles she had dated during her heyday. She had not been sure who his father was until a few yahren ago, when the resemblance began to show. One day she would have to tell him, but the time was not yet right. She couldn't wait too long though, because the likeness was becoming stronger. One day someone was bound to notice. Someone who might try to take him away from her.

“Balls are fun, but ... I don't know ... I find them a bit fake. Everyone pretends to get along with each other, but you can nearly see the emotions seething inside them. Resentment, envy, anger ... any negative emotion you can think of. I was actually happy to leave that life behind me. The Fowls may have their little spats, but it is not nearly as tense as dealing with the wealthy and powerful.”

She watched Alazandra swirl her fingers in the water. Her question was unexpected. Inwardly Solange panicked, although on the outside, she looked as calm as she always did. Once an actress, always an actress. It wasn't actually the water that made the stain disappear; it was the cloths. She had picked up the wrong ones by mistake. At least she knew the spell had worked, although she couldn't tell Alazandra that. She would have to make up some kind of excuse. And fast.

She waved her hand dismissively. “Oh, just a little strong soap, that's all it is.” She quickly changed the subject. “I am curious, Alazandra. What did your mother do, that she painted her face every day and attended so many balls? Was she an actress as well?”
Alexandrya L`handriel
Tazlure Supporter

Alexandrya was not entirely sure but felt a twinge of oddness at Solange's reaction to what she believed was an innocent question about the water that cleans the makeup so neatly. Of course, outwardly Solange was nonchalant and it did make the achadhiel curious but thought against it. She could try to lower her own shields that protects other people's emotions, but the aspiring actress did not want to pry into a person's emotions especially if it is none of her business.

It was Alexandrya's turn to become the little actress as her own features and body language gave off one of nonchalance as well. "I actually do not really know much. My mother was a very private person even though she was quite active. She was indeed someone important but not entirely sure what her trade was. We were quite well off I can say that, but I do not know how she made it."

It always helped to mix a bit of truth with falsehood but even she did not know much of what her mother did. They were never hungry and lived in a gigantic house with servants. Her life after her mother had died became difficult but it was actually the first time she felt free. "I never attended the balls myself, but I do remember my mother always telling me to watch behind the screens and learn of the interactions of the people that were there. I was never given names but always asked questions afterwards." Not necessarily innocent questions, odd questions like did that mustachioed man seem nervous, or did the woman in the red dress seem to be distracted when another couple would enter into the room.

"At times, I feel that I never knew my mother at all, but she must have loved me greatly..." She halted. The achadhiel could not believe she was going to tell Solange that she was kidnapped from her father by her mother. "...in her own way." She ended awkwardly. It was meant to be, no one having this conversation could be completely heartless. Just then Alexandrya exhaled and shrugged her shoulders. "It is the past and nothing I can do can stop what happened." At this point she attempted a smile. Even she was surprised that the smile reached her eyes. Sadness but none of the revenge that she spewed at Jonah when she had one of her break downs.

Curious eyes searched out all of the other pots that Solange had placed in front of her, "What are all of these other ones for?"
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

“It sounds as if you had a very strange upbringing,” Solange said. She knew Alazandra wasn't telling her everything, but at least it was a start. She did not know why, but she wanted the girl to confide in her. “You and I have at least one thing in common besides our love for the theatre, Alazandra. My own mother was quite distant as well, always wrapped up in her own affairs, of which I knew very little. She never had time for me or my three brothers. Her indifference was the main reason I ran off to the theatre when I was fourteen. I was growing up; I had questions I couldn't possibly ask my father or brothers.” She laughed. “It would have been too embarrassing and they probably wouldn't have known the answers anyway.

“I found lots of motherly figures in the theatrical world and I have to say I was happier there than I ever was at home. Alazandra ...” she paused and leaned a bit towards the younger woman, hoping she would not frighten her off by her next words, and not even knowing herself why she felt the need to say them. “... If you ever need a motherly figure, or just another woman to talk to about anything at all, you know where to find me.”

Again, she quickly changed the subject, arranging the pots in front of Alexandrya into three little groups. She indicated the first group, which contained various shades of blue, green, silver, gray, and pink. “These are for your eyes, and these ...” she pointed to the second and third groups in turn, “... are for your cheeks and lips. The colors of the last two groups consisted of soft pinks, corals, and one vivid red. “I chose these colors because I thought they would look good with your complexion. You can see I chose different colors for myself.”

Solange's pots contained colors that complemented her golden skin, green eyes, and red hair. “I have many more colors. You can experiment with any you would like, but I thought we would start with those I know would look good on you. Now ... watch what I do.”

She applied a bit of green to her eyelids with a small, cloth-tipped applicator, accenting it with a touch of gold. The effect was very subtle and elegant. Dipping a layered cloth very briefly into a pot of coral rouge, she dotted a tiny bit on her right cheekbone, and blended it so that it showed only the barest hint of color. She was about to do the same with her left cheek when she heard someone knocking at the front door.

Now who could that be? She wasn't expecting anybody today. Her new recruit was supposed to come by tomorrow, but she supposed she could have misunderstood what he'd said. The man had a rather odd accent. Shrugging, she pushed back her chair and stood up, observing her cheeks, one with color and one without. “I have no idea who that is, but they certainly have great timing,” she said wryly. “Feel free to experiment while I'm gone. Hopefully, I won't be long.”

With an apologetic smile, she hurried from the room as the knock sounded again, leaving Alexandrya alone with the pots full of color.
Alexandrya L`handriel
Tazlure Supporter

The actress stared at herself in the mirror. She practised different expressions but strangely knew sadness most of all. Carefully, she schooled her features into serenity and exhaled softly. As if remembering what she was doing here she looked down at the pots of colors. Jonah is back...should I tell him about my date? I mean is it really a date? Why does it matter, he would not care one way or another.

She reached for the small, cloth-tipped applicator that Solange had used for her eyelid and used some of the gray trying her best to copy what the older woman had shown her. Gently, she tried blending the kohl with the gray, and out of curiosity reach for a new applicator to apply a bit of silver color to hopefully cause a shimmer and the same effect that the actress had used with the gold. To have a mother again... Alexandrya liked Solange a lot but it was her natural instincts to keep people far enough away to prevent any sort of hurt. Not that she would inflict any of it but her mother was dead and it was not of natural causes. Maybe she was next but the silver-haired achadhiel did not want to bring anyone else down along with her.

Nimble fingertips worked at mimicking what she had done with the first eyelid with the second. Cool and mysterious. She almost looked like her mother with this expression and this makeup but she had hair was black as a raven's back. Certain features were hers including the eyes that they shared. If she tried she could look just like her mother but would that scare her murderer out of hiding? Is that what I really want?

Gently, she dotted a cheekbone to blend it into her skin, her cheek imitating a gentle blush, then finished with her other cheek. The last was a soft pink which she used for her lips which she softly pressed her lips together. The made up woman stared into the mirror. Eyes lit up by the lighting. I wish I knew you mother...but is that what I would have truly wished? How could you take me away from father? She shook herself out of the trance trying to remember that the past was the past and she had other responsibilities now.

A smile slid across her painted lips as she worked at brightening her eyes. Often times makeup was not needed if one could control one's expression. Curiosity got the better of her wondering who Solange's guest was and it gave in as soft, silent steps padded towards the door. "Solange?" Her voice was soft on purpose as her eyes darted about. Her make up lesson forgotten and as well as her painted face.
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

The door was wide open. The older woman stood with her back to Alexandrya, blocking the girl's view of the person she was conversing with. All she could see was a bit of long blonde hair. At the sound of Alexandrya's voice, Solange turned her head and acknowledged her with a smile and a small nod, but then turned back to her visitor.

“I'm sorry, young lady, but I do not understand you,” Solange said. She sounded a bit impatient and more than a bit perplexed. The leader of the Fowls was a consummate actress, and had the knack of adapting herself to any situation that came her way. She always appeared in control and unruffled. But this mysterious visitor seemed to have shattered that control. “Perhaps you should speak a bit slower. And please ... come inside so I can shut the door. People are starting to stare.”

Alexandrya.

A pleasant voice insinuated itself inside Alexandrya's mind. It was feminine ... soft and soothing like the sound of waves lapping gently against the shore.

Alexandrya, help me. The language has changed so much since I last walked upon land. I will assimilate it quickly, but I need to hear more of it.

The visitor stepped around Solange so that Alexandrya could see her clearly. Solange quickly closed the door behind her, and it was plain to see why the woman was so eager to get her inside: the absolutely beautiful young woman was naked, her pale skin adorned with nothing but the thick, white-blonde hair that fell to her calves. A pale blue streak ran down the right side of her hair.

She did not seem to be aware that she was nude.

Her face was innocent and young, but her eyes ... the exact color of the Mer's waters ... looked as if they held countless yahren of secrets in their depths. She turned those eyes upon Alexandrya now.

The voice spoke again in Alexandrya's mind. You do know who I am, don't you? This morning, you and the child/woman Angelica played upon my shores. I am Merissa, the Spirit of the Mer de la Luna. Will you help me to communicate until I am able to do so myself?
Alexandrya L`handriel
Tazlure Supporter

The aspiring actress was about to head back into the dressing room when a voice stopped her. She hesitated and looked about to determine the source of the voice. It felt familiar and non-threatening so there was no need to resist it, or fight it. Then Alexandrya blinked...and blinked again. If one's heart could come up the throat and be swallowed a couple of times, this would be one of those times.

"Y-yes, of course, I was not expecting you." It did take even Alexandrya a couple of moments to come back to the present which she did when she shook her head. "By the gods, Meri, did I forget our meeting?" It was her turn to talk for the both of them. "Solange, I am so very sorry, my cousin is from another country that does not really concern itself of clothing." It sounded crazy to her as well but it was the best she could do with her brain scrambling about in 16 different directions. "Do you think we can use one of the dresses from wardrobe for her? I must have completely forgot to find her when I agreed to practise my massage techniques with her." At this point, Alexandrya wanted to smack her forehead with her palm. That was the best you could do? Sheesh.

"I-I would imagine something blue or even the evergreen gown might be suitable for her until I can get her home." Hoping that Solange felt that this was an opening to excuse herself to find something suitable for the young woman. Of course, Alexandrya was brimming with questions if she did not faint first.

Hopefully, her story was not completely lame and even if it was, perhaps Solange would keep her curiosity to herself until they were a bit more settled and Merissa honed her communication skills. Of course, she did not know the first thing about massage and relaxation even though she could imagine winging it. "I thought we were going to meet at my home, Meri." A "pet" name for her "cousin". "I am sorry, I work for an impromptu troupe and your visit completely knocked me off guard. I hope you do not find it too odd to be a cousin while you are visiting." She was trying not to be pushy and made sure that there were not too many pauses as they spoke in silence.

Oh boy, and Jonah's going to be floored. Soo many guests in his home. Another thought that was for herself and not for the Spirit of the Mer. That made her giggle because she highly doubted that he would object if Merissa did not have a place to stay during her adventures on land.
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

As soon as Alexandrya mentioned the two of them being cousins, Merissa imperceptibly changed her features so that she somewhat resembled the silver-haired achadhiel.

Solange looked from one young woman to the other. They did look a bit alike. She had also heard of certain areas where clothing was optional. She wasn't sure whether she actually bought Alazandra's story or not, but for now, she would go along with it it. It did make her wonder even more about her young friend's mysterious past. There was a story there somewhere, and eventually Solange would find out what it was. For now, though, Alazandra was right. Meri needed some clothes.

“Clothes. Yes, of course.” She looked Merissa up and down. “I'm sure I have something that will fit. And, young lady, it doesn't matter where you are from. You should know that walking around the city nude is not safe. It's a wonder you weren't attacked.”

Actually, I was attacked twice. The voice inside Alexandrya's mind chuckled. The men are unharmed, but they are very, very wet.

Solange put her hands on her hips and glared at them. Once again, she was in charge. “Now, both of you. Back to the dressing room and I'll find Meri something to wear.”

She herded them back into the dressing room and then walked over to the wall where the costumes hung suspended from their rods. She gave them barely a glance and sighed. “No, none of these will work. They're too flashy ... unless you want to call attention to yourself.”

Merissa shook her head.

“I didn't think so. I have some costumes suitable for every day wear upstairs. Please excuse me for a few burns. I'll be right back.”

She smiled at them both and left the room.

Merissa walked around the room, stopping every now and then to study something she found interesting.

It has been so long. The world has changed so much.

She paused for a moment and then continued. I thank you, Alexandrya, for your quick thinking. I am so used to going where I wish that I never really think about the consequences. I suppose I will have to do so from now on. The world has changed too much for me to act as I did before.

I would also be delighted to stay with you while I am here, although I will have to go back to my home very few days. I cannot neglect my duties there.

I will also leave you occasionally for I have other many things to do while I am here. Yet I trust you the most to teach me about this world. I am eager to know everything there is to know. After all, you are one of the reasons I chose to walk on land again. I cannot read minds, but I can sometimes sense thoughts if they are on the surface of someone's mind. Yours made me curious during the times you tried to contact me.

The nymph walked over to Alexandrya and stood in front of her. Her smile was gentle and serene, and she smelled softly of the sea.

You look as if you have many questions. Ask them, and I will answer if I can.
Alexandrya L`handriel
Tazlure Supporter

Alexandrya blinked at Merissa's remark about being attacked and beamed, "You will need to teach me that trick." It fascinated her how the spirit of the Mer had commanded her features to look similar to her own to appear related.

"You are here because I called you? I would not know where to start. I guess to start I should explain that I am on the quest to learn about the elements of nature. It has been presented to a small number of us that there is a Blood god that is trying to take control over and have embodied a person that I had called friend. We have grown apart even though she believed she could control her powers and another friend and she had a fight causing this rift and concern. I have also been told that there is someone more powerful that had defeated the Blood god in the past. Someone that had embodied the spirits of the elements of Nature. It was just a story at the time, but I have already been given the responsibility to meet the spirit of Wind and now the avatar of Water. I feel that there is so much to learn and I desire to know more so I can protect this fair city."

She hesitated a moment so she could collect her thoughts. "I have also thought that you were angry at this town due to the people's ignorance. I wanted to try to help you and to let you know that there are people that need you and will need you always." Grey eyes assessed Merissa's reaction. "I am not sure if it is possible but would you be able to teach me how to control my innate abilities as well as teach me how to continue on this elemental spirit quest?"
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

The voice inside Alexandrya's head laughed softly. You do not ask for much, do you?

The water trick is a simple one. Just call on me, and it is yours. But only use it when you really need it, not just to show off. I can revoke anything that I give.

You did not exactly call me here, Alexandrya. You are simply one of the reasons I became curious about how the world has changed. You are correct in that I do not believe the people need me anymore. They used to toss offerings upon my waters; now all they toss is rubbish. They swim in my waters when the heat is high, yet never thank me for providing the coolness. Merissa's sweet, calm voice turned menacing and the colors in her eyes churned like the vilest storm. They use me. They take me for granted. And yes, I am angry.

Even now, as I walk among them, the people do not care for me. There was a time when I could rise from the sea and walk about this city and they would bow to me and show me respect. Now all they do is gawk at me or attack me. Part of that, I suppose, is my own fault. My anger has caused me to stay away too long.

I wish to understand what the world is like now, so that I can bring the people back to me. That is why I am here. Her voice softened again. Despite my anger, I still care about this city and the fact that a blood god is trying to take over distresses me. I do not know how powerful this god is, but I know that he cannot hurt me. A blood god needs blood, and I am devoid of it. However, I am only a spirit and my influence is limited, even with the elemental power of water at my disposal. As for that, I believe that it belongs with me, and I will not let it go lightly.

She began to roam around the room again, eventually stopping at the table where Solange had been giving Alexandrya makeup lessons. She picked up a pot, smelled its contents, and put it back down. However, if the people begin to care for me again and it is the only way to distroy this threat, I will gladly give it up temporarily. Combined with the other elements, perhaps it will be enough. I know where the spirit of Air is, as do you. But I do not know who controls the elements of Earth and of Fire, or if they will willingly let them go.

Although I do not doubt the validity of your story, I am not sure if one mortal could successfully wield all the elements and survive. But there is a lot I do not know about mortals. To me they seem very fragile and fleeting; yet on occasion, they have shown a strength I would not have believed possible.

You say you have some innate abilities. You will have to tell me what they are and I will help you control them if I can. I do know that you have the ability to communicate with at least one spirit. Perhaps you can also communicate with others. She dipped her finger in one of the water bowls that had been used to soak the dirty makeup cloths, then picked it up and drank the contents. She stuck her finger in the second bowl.

And now I have a question for you. Since you have these special abilities and have met the spirits of both Air and Water, do you believe you are the mortal who can use the elements to defeat this blood god?

At that moment, Solange walked back in, just in time to see Merissa drink the contents of the second bowl. She gave the nymph a strange look as she handed her the pile of clothing draped over one arm. “Here, Meri. I think at least one of these should fit.” She indicated the folding screen in the corner. “You can try them on over there, although I guess in your case I guess it doesn't matter if anyone sees you without your clothes.”

She is funny. Merissa laughed and obediently went behind the screen with the clothing. Think about my question for a few moments. Alexandrya. That responsibility is not something to take lightly.

Solange looked from the screen back to the empty water bowl. “She's a nice girl, Alazandra, but your cousin does have some rather strange habits.”
Alexandrya L`handriel
Tazlure Supporter

The aspiring actress listened to Merissa's words. She understood it as they shared a conversation. Grey eyes watched the spirit of the Mer as she wandered about exploring the dressing room. Alexandrya did not know how much more she should say about the other elements but knew that Gerben as well as Callara's master had keys to those puzzles. Of course, she had no idea how both of them would react to her plans for the Blood God.

"I agree that a lot of us are fragile and most fleeting, but in times of need there are a few willing to do what is necessary to save the masses even if they do not understand what is going on. Most people close their minds to such things and turn them into myths and superstitions. They had all experienced the Blood Storm and yet most have rubbed it out of their minds as the city underwent its rebuilding and growth. It is not something to hold against them, often times it is just ignorance or even fear. As for my innate abilities, it seems that I am some sort of empath. I can feel other people's emotions and even at times magnify existing ones but it can be a powerful thing often times enveloping my entire being as well. I have been working on my defenses to prevent a direct attack against someone who can also control this. That is what I have discovered so far but who knows what else I am capable of."

When Merissa drank the contents of the first bowl and stuck her fingers in the second, Alexandrya had started to open her mouth to speak but nothing came out at first. A smile slipped across her lips as Merissa informed her of her feelings towards Solange. She also took that time to formulate an answer. Solange's comment made her giggle and nodded. "Her family is quite protective of her, shelters her somewhat from the 'real' world, as some would say...it will take a bit of time for her to get used to our customs and she will fit right in. I would imagine she is hungry or thirsty. I could not stop her in time to explain what the bowls of water was for. Do you think you could get her something to eat, and perhaps a whole jug of water if some is available?" She felt bad for having Solange run about like an errand girl but it did give Merissa and herself some time to talk as well as giving some opportunity for Merissa to adjust to her new surroundings. Alexandrya had no idea how Angelica would take to this news but it did not seem that Merissa is going to stay too long in one place. Regardless, it would be an interesting gathering.

"I have left it up to the fates to decide if this is indeed a part of my destiny. I am the first to admit that I am unsure and fearful of this quest mainly due to the dangers that I had experienced the last time I went up against this force with my friends. It does not stop me from trying to find out how to lock this blood god away. I know despite all of my own doubts that I am determined enough to do what is needed to protect this city, if not this world from this entity. If I am not the one to wield these elements, than hopefully I will be pushed in the right direction to find out who will and guide them to their destiny."
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

Ahhh, I see. Well, if not you, perhaps we can find the person who can effectively wield the elements ... if indeed that is the best way to defeat this menace. I will help you all I can. I would like to meet the person controlled by the blood god. I wish to know how powerful it really is. Some minor gods are quite harmless, at least the way I look at things. They can still work wonders or wreak havoc among mortals, but have little true power.

And yes, mortals do seem to push away those things that they do not want to acknowledge or do not understand. It could be part of the reason they have forgotten me. I understand emphatic abilities quite well, as I, too, can sense emotions as well as reading surface thoughts. Sometimes their thoughts are quite entertaining. Even now, a young man sits on my shore writing a play. He has a big secret, and as it is never far from the surface of his mind, I know what it is.

Solange thinks I am a bit strange, and she is not sure whether or not she should believe your story that we are cousins. She believes there is more to the story than you are telling her, and she is, of course, correct. She also has a secret, and I know what that is as well. Because of that secret, she will prove useful, I believe.

I can probably help you better understand your abilities, and perhaps help you learn to shield yourself from the emotions of others. As far as helping you build a defense against someone who might be able to control you, I do not know. I do not have to worry about that myself. Maybe I can test you to see what exactly you can do, and we can take it from there.

The nymph stepped from behind the screen, clothed in a simple blue dress with a brown border and a corset of the same brown embroidered in blue. Her feet, however, were still bare. “Fits,” she said, but it sounded more like “feets.”

Solange, however, got the idea. “Yes, I can see that it does. What about the other two I gave you?”

“Fits. Have?”

“You want all three of them?” The woman looked over to Alexandrya. “I'll let her borrow them if she has nothing else, but I do want them back. They are some of my best costumes.”

“Give. Back. Yessss.”

“Ok. It looks like I'll have to find you some shoes as well. But first I'll get you something to eat and drink. Alazandra, you know where the kitchen is. Just bring her there when you are ready. I'll set out enough food for both of you.” She bustled out of the room without a backward glance.

Merissa chuckled inside Alexandrya's mind. I do love to eat, although I do not need to do so to sustain this body. Still, while I am here, I might as well enjoy myself. You will have to show me all the best places to eat, and don't worry about the cost. There are many treasures under my waters, and they are mine to do with as I wish. I will also need to order some more clothing made, so I can return what I have borrowed, but that can wait.

And thank you for asking Solange for water. That I do need, and frequently. You seem to know me better than I thought you would. You will have to teach me the manners of this world. I did not know the water in the bowls was not for drinking. Long ago when last I walked on land, water was often drunk from bowls, and it was no cleaner than what was in these. I do purify it before I drink it though. That's why I stuck my finger in it first. And that trick ... she laughed softly, ... is one you cannot have. So don't even ask.

She looked around the room again. This is where actors dress for performances, is it not? And you are an actress? I wonder if a play will suit my purpose for making myself known again in this city.
Alexandrya L`handriel
Tazlure Supporter

"I will see what I can arrange with meeting the host, but I am not sure how easily accessible she is to find and have a meeting with." Wondering if just a note to Callara asking to have brunch would be odd after their last encounter. The bits and pieces of people's lives were interesting as Merissa shared. The young man, Solange's secret and the offer to test her abilities against mental attacks. "It does sound interesting what you offer and I hope you find me a willing and ept student to your teachings."

When her boss spoke about shoes and food, the silver-haired achadhiel gave a grin, "Oh, thank you, Solange! You are the best." When Solange headed towards the kitchen, Alexandrya giggled softly at the mention of not teaching her how to purify the water she would drink. "I think I shall be fine without that special skill but it helps me further to understand someone when explanation is given and process it as best as one can. I guess most could say I try to be very open-minded. I do not know if I should ask because it makes sense to keep it a secret, but I only ask out of concern, is not having water a weakness? If it is we should get you a water pouch, some get quite dehydrated and keep it at their sides in times of need. I would not want you to be without, this area has been experiencing a lot of heat and drought so I would not want it to make you feel faint when we go exploring."

Alexandrya nodded at in response at being an actress. "That is an interesting suggestion. This man you speak of that sits on your shores, does he write a play suitable for your purpose? We do mostly improvisational acts, but it is an idea that can be offered."
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

I do need to keep hydrated. I would not call it a weakness. I can call water any time I wish. Watch. The nymph held out her hand, palm up. In less than a flicker, a fountain of water bubbled from her palm. She bent her head and drank deeply from it. The problem is that I don't want to call attention to myself, not until the people realize who I am. Producing water this way is probably not a good idea when I am around others. So, yes, a water pouch would be nice. Two or three of them, if possible.

As for the play, Alexandrya, you just gave me a wonderful idea. Her eyes took on a far-off look, as if she were communicating with something unseen. As soon as they came back into focus, she smiled. Mister Dylan Oralia believes that he gets his best inspirations while writing his plays on my shores. Now it is true. He is editing his play to my specifications. And it looks like I will be making a trip to a building called the Performance Hall this evening. You are welcome to come with me if you wish. With any luck, I will have assimilated enough of your language to get by.

“I am learning quickly,” she said aloud, although she spoke slowly and her words were not easily understood.

“Yes, you are.” Solange walked back into the room, frowning slightly. There was something not quite right about Alazandra's cousin. It wasn't her place to pry, though. The truth always came out in the end. She could wait for it.

“I also thought you were hungry. I have food for you in the kitchen.” She smiled at Alexandrya. “Enough for both of you.”

“Yes.” Merissa said. “Hungry. And thirsty.”

Solange led them to the kitchen. A loaf of bread, several different cheeses, and a plate of fruit awaited them at the table. There was also a large pitcher of water and two already-filled glasses. Merissa sat down, picked up her glass, and gulped down the contents. She reached for a piece of cheese and then stopped herself, her hand falling back to her lap.

I do not know the manners of this time. Please, Alexandrya, will you tell me what is appropriate and what is not? And I am sorry for imposing on you so. That has never been my intention.

Return to “Roque d'Ancourt”