Big city, big expectations (Jygust 30th MT)

The glorious Summer City upon the white cliffs of the magical Mer de la Luna in the Western Kingdom that harbours many nobles. Home to the Summer Palace of the former King as well as vineyards that produce the city's famous wines. Anything is possible here, if you are willing to bring the right sacrifices.

Moderators: Ashari, Haikan

Damon Ryot
Civus

Big city, big expectations (Jygust 30th MT)

Post by Damon Ryot »

Damon had just gotten through the city gates; nothing substantial in its ability to hold out intruders, instead its significance lay in its symbolic representation of Roque itself. A partition rather than a hindrance to one, it divided people into two distinct castes; those who were in and those wanting to come in.
Guess I'm part those inside now; sort of a citizen. He thought, glad there'd been the trouble he'd expected, being unaccustomed to city rules and norms. However, his father was a citizen; exiled perhaps, but his birthright demanded his presence in such a place. Problem was that now he'd gotten in, where was he headed next?

He kept to the narrow streets, alleys and wandered around corners; his mind racing for as to his next destination. Should he heed to the earlier advice and go to the merchant district, perhaps seeking to establish the alleged business; gather a little capital and then pursue other interests. There was of course as the other option to go and work as a mercenary like his father had been, he had the wits and some of the brawn required.
No! He told himself adamantly. You came here for one reason and one reason only, remember?

He-His mind was right. His father had told him that in Roque it may be easier to pursue his dreams, wildest in the extreme ambition of one so young. He wished to join the ranks of magic-wielders; practitioners were often mistreated and downright persecuted. He'd have to extremely careful in a city where the worship of Dominicus was apparent all around him. No wonder there were no institutions taking promising youngsters in; they would be hiding underground. He had to find them now, that is if there were any in the first place.

But what first?
He began to slow his pace, noting the sun was increasing its rays intensity to near lethal. He took cover quickly under the towering buildings that cast a shadow over him; not that it was any better under there. He thought of removing the cloak, which would have eased his situation considerably, but stubborn as he was; he chose to suffer to maintain anonymity.

The young achadhiel didn't realize he was probably getting more attention than was due; standing as he leant against the building, clad in a heavy brown traveller's cloak, eyes moving from here to there under the hood that cast a partial shadow upon his face. A good observer would notice he was uncomfortable as he stood there; his hands moving relentlessly as to his anxiousness, like said his eyes glancing rapidly and a certain composure that told the watcher he wasn't from around here.
The man was utterly lost.
Uli Orange
Civus

Post by Uli Orange »

Uli gazed casually about the square and replied to the ladies’ glances with a smile. While Uli wasn’t always roused and alive for the early morningtide, he did enjoy the crispness and optimism of the morningtide scene. Everything was ahead, in your future, and possible. Such a revelation, Uli reckoned, deserved a celebratory toast. He’d need a drink anyhow if he was to stay energized throughout the day. His first day in Roque would be a busy one, no doubt. With his mind made up, Uli waited in ambush for the next attractive young lady to pass by him, rolling a halfie of hemp during the wait.

It wasn’t long before a tall, lithe human woman smoothed her yellow dress and gave Uli a polite nod as she made her way past him.

“Excuse me madam. I’m in dire need of assistance,” Uli managed to say just before they lost eye contact.

The woman’s green eyes brightened further before she stepped close to Uli and replied, “Ummm, I would be glad to help you if you promise me one thing.”

“And what’s that?”

“That you’ll share that halfie with me,” the girl said with a broad grin on her face.

“Sounds fair to me. So, where’s the best place to have a drink this early?” Uli questioned.

“Well, if you want company then there’s really only one place which will have broken the spirits out already, the Freely Poured Inn.”

Uli had heard of the place from his brother’s letters but he couldn’t remember much about it. He figured it was worth a shot though, so he attempted to remember the directions as the woman relayed them to him between hits on the halfie. The sun seemed a little brighter and the morning even more optimistic when he disengaged and returned to his sight seeing. The walk towards the Freely Poured was pleasant and Uli walked slowly to take in the sights on all sides. Noticing a man standing alone near a wall, déjà vu hit Uli and he was back at Roque’s gates telling a joke to the guards. Then he realized who the man was that had triggered the déjà vu. It was the young achadhiel whom Uli had teased about the brothel. He looked, currently, like he had walked in on one of Pan’s grand orgys and hadn’t been invited. As Uli felt sociable and wanted to voice his satisfaction with Roque, he decided that he may as well see if the man wanted to celebrate his arrival in Roque as well.

Uli walked over to the man whose attention was now on him and said, “How do you do, brother? As we’ve both only arrived, what do you say we have a drink to celebrate our arrival down at the Freely Poured? I'm Uli Orange by the way.”

Uli was unsure if he had offended the man with his joke at the gates and, so, presented a peace offering in the form of offering the man the hemp halfie he was still smoking.

OOC: After you reply to my question and such, just go ahead and finish their trip to the Freely Poured. That way, we’re already in the tavern for the next round and can get to the good bits quicker.
Last edited by Uli Orange on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F**k today, it's tomorrow!- Freddie Mercury
Damon Ryot
Civus

Post by Damon Ryot »

Damon had noticed Uli as he approached him, sauntering towards with an air of outright arrogance, and caught a whiff of something else unfamiliar to his nose; as most city scents were. However, he hadn't prepared for trouble this early in the day, why he had been caught off guard by the stranger; a familiar stranger actually, though he just couldn't quite place the man. The young achadhiel remained wary still, as the fellow youngster called him his 'brother';, a gesture he didn't quite know how to interpret as of yet. He listened to the offer that followed next, trying hard to place as to where he'd seen him as he talked. The voice was as familiar as the face was, and knew that it had been a recent sighting, but since it hadn't been converted to his more powerful long-term memory he didn't press the issue.

"I am well, sir." He answered with utmost politeness, which may have annoyed the other. As to the outstretched hemp, which he quickly associated with the peculiar aroma encasing their immediate ambit; he ignored it and let the owner know it was for him to finish by himself.

He removed himself from the wall he'd leant on, coming to stand closer to Uli; their eyes watching each other on equal level as they stood the exact same height, though that was where the similarities may have ended. His father had told him that people in cities weren't anything like those few that inhabited outskirt settlements like he had so far. Most of those people didn't care anything about you; didn't want anything to do with you or seek a confrontation, and there was no use of even attempting unless they approached you first. What were the rest than? A fine partition of those who could help you if you got to know them, people you could call friends, and those who would stand in your way; trying as best as they could to inflict the worst upon you. Damon had a hard time of evaluating Uli; his façade could fall of like the masquerade masks, alas, what horror could be conjured of the possibility what the man was thinking this very instance.

"Alright, let's go to this tavern, no?" His answer was amiable, yet was clung to its civil format, which most wouldn't have believed once they'd heard where he grew up. "You lead the way then."

He didn't think of asking for a name, after all he' been approached first and etiquette demanded a stranger who initiated the meeting introduce himself first; he would follow suit. The sun was still lethal up there, worse now that he abandoned the safety of convenient shade, and wordlessly he cursed himself of having worn the thick cloak which his mother had coaxed him into taking along.
In case it gets cold, dear. He vividly remembered her saying wearing that mask of pretended sadness and misery when he'd refused the first time. Guess what his second and final answer had been.

They didn't bump into anything serious along the way, just a few women whose eyes strangely steered their way while they passed through. Damon couldn't ascertain which one of the duo they were actually looking at, the women were too subtle and skilled at that, but he did begin to seriously think about possible ventures in the city. He had no experience of women to talk of, and wondered whether the man walking ahead of him might have been able to shed some light on the topic; he certainly looked qualified to a degree, though he would be in awe of his extensive knowledge in it considering the meagre looks he'd been endowed with.

They reached the building eventually. He couldn't place the exact time it had taken for them to get there, but judging from the sun's persevering heat, it hadn't been a notably long journey. Uli proceeded inside after checking that Damon had followed him, and he was only left to follow again, not too sure what would wait the two once inside.

OOC:We're in now. If you want, you can make Damon sit down with you or whatever fits your unfolding plans.
Uli Orange
Civus

Post by Uli Orange »

A crooked wooden sign, nearly falling free of its hinges, depicts a drunken man adorning a wooden table, an empty beer mug and money pouch resting next to him. Welcome to The Freely Poured Inn, established by a wandering minstrel as a place where fellow travelers could come and quench a throat parched with the dust of travel. This Inn caters to the lowest common denominator of Roque. Here the smugglers, lower class, scattered thieves, and shifty bards gather for a drink or take a room for the night. A few of the braver – or less respectable – nobles find there way here, but it is for the most part the home of the common man. Here, if you ask nicely or look hard enough, you can find food and lodging, spirits, gambling, information, and above all else job offerings. So pull up a chair, drink heavily and quickly, and remember always hold tightly to your money pouch, for everyone is welcome at the Freely Poured Inn.

The Inn's front doors are slightly warped, and the stairs to the upstairs rooms creak when stepped upon. The wooden floors are worn, and the long wood bar splintering. The large round tables that dot the common room are scarred and ugly, and the chairs that surround them are no better. The man behind the bar is tall and fierce looking with massive eyebrows and a ready glare. A large club hangs on the wall within easy reach of the barkeep, and bears signs of frequent use.

Stepping into the Freely Poured was like waking to find yourself not in your bed, but in the middle of a party and extremely intoxicated. All around were strangers boisterously toasting each other and their various deities. Uli would never have conceded that it was actually Morningtide had he not just come from outside. There were men and women all around who seemed not to care or know what time of day it was. They were likely sailors, Uli guessed. No one celebrated like sailors and they often made port at late hours and spent all night unloading their wares. Uli also took note that, where there were sailors, there were smugglers. He would probably be returning to the Freely Poured on business before too long, but now was a time for drinks.

A young adhiel woman moved up and down the bar like an elusive ocean tide, her red hair escaping to cover her green eyes every time she bent to fill a glass. Uli shifted his focus back and forth between her darting eyes and her cleavage until she came near enough to his new comrade and himself.

“Good to see you!” Uli shouted in her direction.

She raised an eyebrow before replying, “Why? Have we been acquainted?”

“Not yet, no. I’m just thrilled to meet a devilishly good looking lass that can do battle with such a vivacious crowd. Do y’all by chance have a statue of Pan hidden behind that bar?” Uli voiced before adopting a slight smile.

After a chuckle, the bartender replied, “Pan would turn his little goat tail and run at the prospect of working a night here. Can I get you something to drink?”

“Two shots aye something local and strong for my friend and I. And add a glass of your best dark ale along with whatever else my comrade would like. I'm Uli by the way. You’ll have to ask him his name yourself though. He says I don’t pronounce it right.”

“Hmm, I’m Laurelye, but don’t go shoutin for me every flicker just because you know my name.”

She then turned to Uli’s comrade expectantly.

With his thoughts once again confined to his head while Laurelye engaged his new friend, Uli could feel Pan massaging his throat into action. Before he knew what he was doing, Uli was singing,

“I’ve come at last to the city Roque
where guards give threats and can’t take a joke.
Lucky for me there’s a lady at hand,
who pours most generous in all the land.
If she comes your way then I pray you say,
thank you miss for you’ve brightened my day!”

Those in the inn who had stopped to listen, at least the male contingent, let loose a chorus of cheers and whistles. Whether they were for his song or for Laurelye mattered not to Uli as he met Laurelye’s eyes with a smirk on his face.

After taking a sip of his ale, Uli asked his comrade, "So friend, what's your name and how are you finding Roque? Quite attractive, no?
F**k today, it's tomorrow!- Freddie Mercury
Damon Ryot
Civus

Post by Damon Ryot »

Stepping inside the tavern was like coming home to him. The noise and ruckus within the complex was much like what he'd had at home, though in a relatively smaller scale. What had been the name of the local bar back home again? Every time his father had come back home to take a break from work, the old man would take his son there, and by the end of that session his coinpurse would have diminished considerably in size. Mother had always been angry, both at corrupting him as to wasting away their savings, but alas. He recognized the rowdy sailors, who made most of the noise and ruckus anyway, with suspicious characters floating here and there; his hand immediately went for his coinpurse that is if he had had one.

The young achadhiel relaxed a little, since he had nothing valuable to hold onto, but what he wore around his neck, and a little surprise package for what might come their way. He kept very close to Uli, not too close to look vulnerable, but within a talking distance behind him. As they came to settle down by the bar, Damon couldn't help notice the...quite attractive adhiel woman who was serving the drinks. Uli had seemed to have seen her too, not shying to hide his...inspection of her, while his friend decided to see what the man was going to do next. As he'd expected, Uli came out with the most deplorable method of getting to know her better, to put it so.

He took a backseat to all this, only occasional hearing this and that the two conversed, while he took a better view of his immediate surroundings. He was secretly trying to spot out any magic-users, sorcerors, or so; yet to be very honest himself, he had no idea what one should look like.
Not that any of them would come here, anyway.

Uli had just finished talking to the adhiel woman when he returned back to his more immediate environment. What had brought him back was the feeling he had of someone looking at him, which he thought to be his new found friend with more obscenities to note. However, to the young man's shock he found himself face to face with the woman Uli'd been talking to, noticing she was much more attractive up close, especially while he gazed into her green, almond shaped eyes.

"What will it be?" She asked him. However, he didn't understand her. The boy was nervous, and he wasn't still too confident in speaking the human language.
"Sorry?" He said, quickly trying to decipher what she'd said.

She however didn't have the time to wait, seeing his discomfort, switched to his mother tongue.
"What will it be?" She asked again, and this time he understood her perfectly.

"Oh!" He said, now with a slight smile adorning his lips, realizing how simple the initial question had been. "Just give me what my friend asked for, in addition to the previous request."

"Alright." She said, almost ready to leave. "And the order would be to Uli and?" He first raised a questioning eyebrow, puzzled as to what she meant. Then she noticed the devious glint in her brilliant jade eyes, his face flushed instantly, while his eyes fell away from eye contact with her.

"Damon, I guess." He said in a low voice.

"I'm Laurelye." She introduced herself, but he still didn't look up at her.

When things couldn't get any worse, Uli had to step things up a notch. Damon trying to gather even the remnants of his shattered confidence, heard someone singing just beside him, and before he even looked at him he knew who it was. His voice wasn't bad, but Damon hadn't too many musicians in his short life, so could not attest his judging not to be slightly biased by inexperience. When it was finished, finally, their drinks were on the table while the entire tavern was applauding Uli for his performance.
Next they will ask for an encore He thought sourly.

His friend took a sip of his ale, proceeding to ask questions afterwards.
"My name is Damon." He told him, not sure whether he'd heard him telling it to Laurelye earlier. "And yes. I must say Roque is quite attractive." He laid heavy emphasis on attractive, catching a quick glimpse of the adhiel woman from the corner of his eye.

"But, my friend. You are yet to introduce yourself to me." He lied. Damon had heard him telling his name to the woman, but decided it better not to leave any room for misunderstandings between the two.
"And may I ask you. Now that we are here, in the Freely Poured, what would you dictate as our next move?"

He kept his gaze on Uli now, leaving his ale untouched for now. He was intrigued to know what he had planned for this occasion, or if he was just going on a long, fruitless ride with him here.
Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Brytan »

OOC: Locking temporarily, will PM shortly with the how and why of it.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]

Return to “Roque d'Ancourt”