Finding the Revealing-(Jygust 31st, MT)

The glorious Summer City upon the white cliffs of the magical Mer de la Luna in the Western Kingdom that harbours many nobles. Home to the Summer Palace of the former King as well as vineyards that produce the city's famous wines. Anything is possible here, if you are willing to bring the right sacrifices.

Moderators: Ashari, Haikan

Thalia Maelstrom
Civus

Finding the Revealing-(Jygust 31st, MT)

Post by Thalia Maelstrom »

cont. from : Jumping Ship

The Dog's Home Inn is a clean and quaint tavern that is nearly twin to the Goose and Gander, which sits on the north side of town. The two Inns were started by brothers and originally had the exact same décor and set up. Later on the brothers had a falling out and the Goose and Gander changed its look, but the layout remains the same. While both inns share similar pricing and attractions, the Dog's Home seems to attract more common guests. Visiting traders, mercenaries, and other legitimate but modest businessmen take their lodgings here. It is a peaceful place, well patrolled by guards. The rooms each contain a lockable chest, a table and two chairs, a comfortable bed, and a solid, locking door.

After the Red Storm swept through Roque, many buildings were devastated. Not so the Dog's Home. The only thing that changed here is the owner. Nowadays a dark-haired woman named Haifra orders the personnel around.

The Inn's large common room is cheerful, though decorated in dark shades of wood and earth tones, and usually smells of food and lye soap. Servers thread their way past the solid, well made round tables and Haifra stands behind the long oak bar. To the back is a large bath area and steam room where travelers can wash and steam the dirt of the road from their tired bodies. A small stage is tucked into the corner for entertainers; the bar and its tender lie directly opposite the doorway. A staircase leading to the rooms upstairs sits next to the doorway, its mahogany banister covered in intricate carvings.

Thalia stood outside the welcoming doors of the Dog's Home Inn ignoring the looks of any walking past her in the street as she surveyed the slowly drying salt stains that were beginning to show up on her leather pants. Both hands squeezed the tightly twisted mass of her long hair, and sea flecked eyes watched as a small puddle of briny water spattered the dirt at her feet. Having recently fetched herself out of the warm sea waters of Roque's waterworks edge she still had yet to fully dry off. Even after being led helter skelter through the busy lanes of Roque's constant sway of busy people, Thalia still found herself slightly shivering from the various breezes that managed to fight through the crowds and touch her chilled skin.

Taking a moment to turn her downward eyes up, she overlooked her guide from the docks, and apparently, her new partner in the first real adventure of her new life. She had refused Shea's arm when he offered it back at Master Navirez's office and had instead stepped closely behind him, quietly taking in her new home's daily sights with a half smile constantly playing on her lips. She did her best to ring out the water from her thick hair that, from the puddle at her feet, vaguely wondering why she had never realized what a great sponge her hair was, before she walked into the warmth of the Inn. She didnt think any owner would appreciate her dripping upon their floors and she hoped to spend enough time in here to dry completely and figure out what the next step she and her fellow investigator needed to take.
Last edited by Thalia Maelstrom on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Our being is subject to all the chances of life. There are so many things we are capable of, that we could be or do. The possibilities are so great that we never, any of us, are more than one-fourth fulfilled.
-Katherine Anne Porter
Shea Artrien
Civus

Post by Shea Artrien »

"Well, here we are. This should do for a start." Shea spoke reassuringly and with confidence. "We could do worse than a meal and a poke-about here. Perhaps someone's seen one of the fellows we seek."

The former sailor had made a point of giving the lass her space, as she seemed to him determined to make her own way through the town, albiet, following his lead. Still, now seemed the time to make up for the lack of conversation they'd enjoyed through the streets.

His vibrant green eyes flashed with mischief as he turned to address the redheaded woman. Shea gestured towards the door with a flourish, "After you, miss...er, you know, I don't believe I caught your name."

"Shall I call you Lady of the Deep, or simply Mistress Mermaid? Hmmm?"
Last edited by Shea Artrien on Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[i]"Just because something you said makes a man at the bar want to use his sword to kill you...well, that doesn't mean that what you said wasn't funny."[/i] ~ Shea

[size=75]Avatar courtesy of nwvault.ign.com[/size]
Thalia Maelstrom
Civus

Thalia lightly flicked her now thoroughly squeegeed hair behind her back and looked up to Shea as he spoke, a flash of a wicked grin passing across her mouth as she remembered his earlier reaction to her prank at the docks.

"You can call me Mistress Mermaid, if I can call you Master Gape. But for now I think Thalia will do."

She gave him him a slight curtsy to match his own flourishing lead and with eyes dancing with self-pleased mirth she turned to walk within the warmth of the Inn. She spoke to him over her shoulder as she passed the sturdy frame of the doorway and surveyed the seating arrangement within for a comfortable seating. It seemed a good place to sit for a spell and learn the ways of her new life and the newest companion in it.

"What sort of investigator are you, Sir Shea? You mention it to the dock hands when...er...we first met..." Again, that grin appeared momentarily at her lips.

"Thalia Maelstrom, to be exact.
Our being is subject to all the chances of life. There are so many things we are capable of, that we could be or do. The possibilities are so great that we never, any of us, are more than one-fourth fulfilled.
-Katherine Anne Porter
Shea Artrien
Civus

Post by Shea Artrien »

Shea chuckled lightly at Thalia's digging response, his own grin matching her own. So often back home he'd found himself saddled with wenches and maids with little more going for them than the offering of their buxom comforts, and the promise of a warm bed for an evening. To hope for conversations that would include more than the proper way to cook a fish, or the latest girlish gossip, was to hope for the sun to stay out drinking for the night.

It was rare that he'd encountered a lady of the sort of substance who could hold her own in a battle fought with sarcasm and gumption. Rarer still to find one this attractive who could surprise him not once, but twice in the same evening.

A woman of wit. How refreshing.

"Thalia is a fine name indeed, if you were simply a merchant's daughter rather than a noblewoman of the deep. However, if you would prefer to keep your true name secret for now, then I shall endeavor to keep my curiosity in check...and at the same time, refrain from stepping on your tail." All this was said with a small smirk as Shea stepped past the damp red-head and into the tavern proper. Glancing back over his shoulder to see if she would follow, the dark-haired swordsman made his way to the most secluded table he could obtain.

Giving the wooden surface a slight frown, Shea moved the few stray wooden bowls and mugs that had been left behind by the table's previous occupants to one side, then with an overly dramatic flourish nearly equal to his bow outside, he pulled out one of the chairs for Thalia.

"Er, not this one." A quick puzzled look crossed the sailor's face as he realized that the one of the chair's legs was loose and would probably not be safe for sitting. Losing his cavalier demeanor, but still maintaining his status as a gentleman-at-heart, Shea sighed and switched the shoddy piece of furniture with another from far side of the table. This, then, he offered her with a grin.

"As for my profession, no, I am afraid I didn't have time to offer it when I was so fortunate to witness your arrival...I was a bit preoccupied with the task of picking my jaw up off of the wooden planks of the dock." His eyebrow went up in an arch as he gently rubbed his chin with his thumb, "I think I've still got a sliver there to prove it."

Shea raised his other hand to shoulder level, in the hopes of gaining the attention of one of the tavern maids, then added, "Investigation is something that I have just recently stumbled upon as a profession, Mistress Thalia, and I am still slightly unsure if it is worthy to be called my true calling."
Last edited by Shea Artrien on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[i]"Just because something you said makes a man at the bar want to use his sword to kill you...well, that doesn't mean that what you said wasn't funny."[/i] ~ Shea

Thalia Maelstrom
Civus

"Thalia will have to sate your prying mind for now then, for I have given up any underwater kingdom I may have been offered"

The statement held humor with perhaps only a slightly biting edge as she reflected how closely the jest struck home. Shaking any flashback memories that might have arisen however, she quickly stepped after Shea and let him lead to the back, taking a moment to look around for any help that might offer a warm drink. Not seeing anyone at the moment, Thalia followed him to the table and watched with laughing eyes as the chair defeated his generous offer of chivalry. Biting her tounge at any remark she might have made she sat lightly in the new and more secure seat murmuring her thanks with a face tilted up to his form above her.

"...So what was your true calling before you decided to take on the mysteries of the docks? Waiting for mermaids surely doesnt pay well these days." She crossed her legs and laid her hands demurely in her lap as she waited for him to sit down, her face giving him a mask of pure innocence."
-Katherine Anne Porter
Shea Artrien
Civus

Post by Shea Artrien »

Shea's eyes twinkled with mirth as he moved to his own side of the table. Sitting in a straightforward manner, the former fisherman leaned an elbow on the table, setting his shoulder weight upon it. "Waiting pays not well at all, it seems, and far less than capturing one. I'm sure you can attest to the fact that the time and effort it would take to entrap a beauty such as yourself might be more than a humble fisherman could afford."

The dark-haired swordsman paused a moment, taking her in, her high cheekbones and copperspun hair. A small sigh, and his face seemed suddenly a bit serious, "Alas, I have yet to attain my true calling, Mistress Thalia, though with some luck, I may yet make a name for myself, one that I may be proud of."

Shea blinked once, then seemed to collect himself and suddenly his all-is-right-with-the-world-because-I'm-in-it smile was back in place. "As for my future plans...?"

He craned around, looking for a tavernwench to take their order, "...I would truly like to have some ale, and hear a bit more about You."
Last edited by Shea Artrien on Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thalia Maelstrom
Civus

At his flatter words a blush flushed her cheeks lightly and she looked down only to notice an edge of green sticking out of folds of her blouse at her shoulder. Tapered fingers quickly plucked at the spot and she withdrew a handsbreadth length of kelp from beneath the pale cotton. Her eyes widened in embarrassment and the blush bloomed into a more crimson shade.

"Yes, beauty indeed" She replied with a mocking tone. Her eyes lilted up to the man before her and she shut down any emotion of pleasure from the compliment. As sweet as his words were, she refused to let herself be carried away like so many of the foolish worker girls of the manor. To many that she had known had sighed over pretty words only to end up in tears later. No matter how dashing the man was trying to be.

She watched for a moment as something passed across Shea's face as he too avoided the details and whatever memories his mind tried to dredge up. Did everyone have a past they we're hiding from?

"For one Sir, it would please me if you stopped calling me Mistress. I am very happy with the idea of never becoming a mistress so Thalia shall be name enough for me"

She looked around as well across the empty floor of the Inn. "Why thank you kind sir, I to could go for something." She shivered slightly and hugged her arms about herself. "definatly something warm." Spying a working woman emerging from the kitchen she waved her over to the table.
Last edited by Thalia Maelstrom on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
-Katherine Anne Porter
Shea Artrien
Civus

Post by Shea Artrien »

It was difficult, but Shea Artrien managed somehow to keep a straight face when Thalia produced the stray bit of kelp from her clothing. It was far less difficult to admire the way in which her blush set off her features so nicely.

"Then Thalia it shall have to be." Shea grinned at Thalia to console her, then followed her gaze to the wench, admiring her approach only in a distractedly sort of way, glancing back at his firey haired companion with a smirk. "And what will Thalia be having this evening? Dinner's on me."

"For myself," the dashing swordsman spoke in a consiritorial manner to the tavernmaid, as if they were sharing a secret of some import, "I'll be having a bit of bread with whatever broth you have cooking, and an ale or two."

Thalia Maelstrom
Civus

Thalia watched the man's easy manner and wondered absently how much of that was truth and how much was a mask to the man's inner nature. No one was that easy going, were they? She could only imagine the situations that would end up badly with such a manner. Not everyone took things lightly.

She shook herself out of her thoughts long enough to notice the server waiting for her order.

"I'll have the same as he, just with mulled wine instead if you please. Warmed, if possible" Again a slight shiver trembled her frame, but they were fewer now that they were in a breeze free sanctum. Ignoring her own state however, Thalia turned back to Shea and watched him musingly, her thoughts once again taking over her manners.
Last edited by Thalia Maelstrom on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Katherine Anne Porter
Shea Artrien
Civus

Post by Shea Artrien »

"They make them nicer here in Roque than back home, that's a certainty." the dark-haired swashbuckler watched the serving girl stride away with a smirk.

Shea turned back to his comely companion, noticing her own smirk of amusement lighting her face. There's a sharp intellect behind those eyes, indeed. This may prove an eventful encounter, to be sure.

He gave a casual shrug and said only, "Its part of the job. She'll do."

Thalia Maelstrom
Civus

Thalia's other eyebrow raised at his remark and she leaned across the table towards him with a grin on her face.

"Sir Shea, I imagine with charm like that you'll find yourself with more then just broth and weak ale."

Clasping her hands together infront of him she tilted her head slightly to the side, absently blowing at a curl that strayed across her face.

"However, before you take our kind server there as a wife, you've promised to be my guide in this city. So where should we go next to find these men?"
Last edited by Thalia Maelstrom on Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Katherine Anne Porter
Shea Artrien
Civus

Post by Shea Artrien »

The swordsman sat back straight in his chair, a look of mock horror on his face. "Tsk, tsk, my dear. You wound me."

Shea spent a moment feigning a bruised ego, then grinned, "Thalia, we are where we need to be to get started finding our quarry. If they are working men, as we believe, then where better to begin then a tavern, eh?"

"And if we play our cards right, or rather I do..." A small shrug, "...then perhaps that tavern maid will be more than willing to assist us in our search of this very room for the men we seek."
Last edited by Shea Artrien on Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thalia Maelstrom
Civus

She rolled her eyes slightly at Shea's small flaunt of ego. I obviously cant bait this one anymore if we want to leave with his head fitting through the door.

"Do you mind leaving off seducing the poor girl till after we've sated our appitites? I have yet to fill my stomach today and I dont want to lose a meal because of any offenses you might give." She grinned to him as she spoke to soften the blow of an insult he might take from that.

She leaned back in her chair, stretching slightly and pulled most of her curls over one shoulder, braiding them slowly in an old childhood habit. Her eyes took on a more serious cast as she gazed into the face of the man that she assumed she would have to learn to trust.

"Until then, perhaps we could talk about what we need to know of each other to make this work to it's best advantage." A small smile upturned a corner of her mouth. It seemed it didnt take much to put her in easy spirits again. Atleast it seemed that way. "I'll answer your questions if you answer mind. Truthfully."
-Katherine Anne Porter
Shea Artrien
Civus

Post by Shea Artrien »

Shea cast an admiring glance Thalia's way, enjoying her unintended display of her firm form as she stretched, but then sobered as she stated her plan of action.

He held up his hands in mock surrender, "Alright, then. No more teasing...for now. I enjoy a bit of verbal give and take with a gifted opponent far too much to swear it off for long."

The swashbuckler ran a hand through his dark hair, exhaling slightly as he straightened in his chair. The clever young woman had surprised him yet again with her no-nonsense approach to their common problem. He pondered for a moment if he was losing his touch.

Not possible. She's simply exceptional.

"Where shall we start then, eh? Hmmm. Howabout this? We shall each offer the other enough of our past histories as we deem necessary, and then we shall play a game of question for question...or tit for tat."

A quick wink followed, "I can be serious, if need be, but I will excel far more often when I can make a game of things. So, what say you, Lady of the Bay?"

Thalia Maelstrom
Civus

Thalia smiled to Shea in reassurance again blowing at a swaying curl of hair in front of her eyes.

"You jests and wit are more then welcome, Sir, and found to be quite refreshing. We'll play the game with the minimal amount of serious moments if you like. Shall I begin?"

Thalia took a deep breath, pursing her lips slightly. How much should I say, does it really matter at this point?

"Alright. You struck close, my name is the name of a merchant's daughter. I am not however in that line of trade as of recently, nor do I wish to be, as I see nothing profitable in being a merchants wife...at least, not for me."

Her face clouded over at her own words and she brooded silently for a moment as if Shea was not there. Once again, though, the darkness in her face wiped clean and she smiled once more to him, even if it was a bitter one. "...It seems I don't know how to really begin. You may ask whatever you like on that matter and others. I really cant see any reason to hide my past and having had never needed to share it, perhaps questions would be an easier start to my giving the answers."

Thalia glanced towards the kitchen in hopes of spying food joining them presently before turning to the handsome rogue across from her for a final thought and a disappointed ache in her stomach.

"Perhaps sharing your past will better unlock mine, as then I'll know what it is I should say. So ask or tell, Im more then curious." She grinned delightfully to him, the truth of her statement obvious. Thalia was nothing if not curious about others, which is probably what led her to find herself in an Inn with a cunning stranger to begin with.
Last edited by Thalia Maelstrom on Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Katherine Anne Porter
Shea Artrien
Civus

Post by Shea Artrien »

He'd sat silently as Thalia spoke, and now Shea gave a warm smile. "I'll share first, if that will help your state of mind. I've found that, for better or for worse, I'm rarely without something to say."

A glance towards the kitchen showed little progress with their meals, but he did see that the barman was working the tap. Perhaps his ale was coming soon? Thalia's wine would be coming with their food, like as not, but he found that his mouth was a bit dry and he coughed lightly.

"In any event, my own tale to this point pales significantly when compared with the momentous event of spotting and then meeting an actual mermaid..." Shea gave a small wink, "But I shall endeavor not to bore you with my tale."

"My mother was, or rather is, a tavern owner, or more correctly she actually runs the tavern, in a small town west of here. She's a good woman, and hardworking. What few virtues I may lay claim to, are due to her efforts, and she is to be commended for her hard work. She taught me swordplay, believe it or not...surprisingly, really, as I was a rather unruly child, and hardly an agreeable student."

Shea gave a small snort of amusement, as if a stray memory had reared its head, but instead of sharing it, he said, "My father, simply said, was a pirate...or at least he was hanged for the offense. I have no doubt that if, perchance, the title was improperly placed, it was simply an error in definition. From what I've learned of the man, he was nothing less than a brigand, and possibly something far worse."

Surprisingly, as the roguish young man spoke, neither his tone nor his demeanor darkened. As a matter of fact, he seemed bemused with the idea of his father's dark deeds. Was this acceptance or something more?

"I can thank him for little in my life, as I met him only twice," he continued, "...and of those times, I was only old enough to remember that he was drunk and smelled of brine."

A small shrug of his eyebrows, "I knew my grandfather as more of a father, and he was a fisherman, before he passed. A fine man who taught me alot. I don't think I ever made him very happy, truth to tell, but the few times he claimed to be proud of me, I think on as moments to cherish."

Shea spotted their food, or at least the young wench that had taken their order bearing a wooden tray laden with dishes and cups threading her way through the crowd towards them, and then finished with, "I have chosen to be an investigator, Thalia, because it serves my purpose for now. I am smart, and I am clever, and I am stubborn...and from what I've been told, that sounds like all the qualifications I need."

Thalia Maelstrom
Civus

She watched him with unfaltering attention, her face and smile warming at the praise he gave his mother and her eyes widening at mention of his father's possible adventurous trecheries. She couldnt help but admire him more with his tale, simply as he told it.

A man who admires women as more then just things...how...unlikely..and refreshing

She found herself only distracted when the swaying of the tavern woman's tray stopped at their table and the bowls of thick broth and drinks were ladeled out. She took an appreciating sip of her drink, relishing in the warmth and spicy aftertaste of the wine before speaking.

"I find your tale more then admiring, and simple as your life may have seemed to you, it seems almost heavenly to me. My life was in no way a nightmare, on the other hand, but it's not the life I would choose for the rest of my years."She smiled happily to him and a personal image of a younger version of Shea sparing with his mother at swords. "Your mother sounds devine in her own right."

Taking another deep drink of her wine she leaned back, rolling the heavy cup between her palms, tilting her head slightly as if surveying Shea anew.

"Alright, it's only fair I share my half before I ask you of anything, I would think...and you tale in no way bored me, so I shall try to do the same"

" My father is a merchant in King's Court, and while his name is not well known, his trades are. He's good at what he does, I can openly state that, so I have not lived a life in want. I had the best of what my parents wanted me to have, tutors and the such and there for can be very polite when I need to be." She grinned at this, taking on a simpering form and holding out her wine cup with the grace of a lady, tipping it to him slightly in acknowledgement before sipping delicatly from it.

"Thats where the fun ends however. My parents were dissapointed to have had a girl instead of a son. And since my own birth was so hard to come by, they didnt see the chances of adding other children as good. I heard rumors of other children being born before me, but not living long enough to be considered siblings. So they took what they could, and made the best of their situation. They trained me to be a merchants wife, and only that."

Thalia shuddered dramatically at the horror of this, and grinned in jest at him.

"I guess I was an unruly child, in my demanding curiosity atleast. I refused only to learn what I was given, and wanted more. So I took advantage of their lack of care. Our household was large enough to consist of a moderate staff and I turned to them for my teaching. I found several friends amoung them, my own tutor being a beleiver of learning was easy to sway into teaching me more then just numbers. The cook and the gameskeeper were harder to win over, but Im stubborn when I need to be." She raised and eyebrow at him as if in challenge.

"I eventually was accepted as a constant thorn in their sides and they showed me enough that I can cook a decent meal, and catch it if I need to. I fell in love with the stories told at the hearth at night when everyone was done for the day, and soon learned that there was, as I had always suspected, much more to life then trades and decorating one's household. It wasnt long after that that I was called to finally fulfill the destiny my father had picked for me."

She took a moment to swallow more of the wine, realizing with suprise how quickly the cup had emptied it's contents. Her fingertip toyed with the damp spices that had settled against the edge of her cup, gazing into the depths of the last of the wine as she finished speaking.

"He had found a husband for me, one that was known to give most women dread at the idea of marrying him. And I refused." Her face lifted to Sheas in another challenging stare. "I dont think any woman should marry for money, especially when the groom is a baffoon."

Her eyes dwindeled back to the secrets at the bottem of her cup. " It wasnt hard to leave, there wasnt a future there I was willing to partake in. So I snuck aboard the next merchant vessel I could find, promsing the captian pay I couldnt make, which is why you ending up discovering a mermaid." She smiled up at him from under her lashes and downward turned face. "So I chose to be an investigator, because who am I to turn down the first adventure offered to me, especially when I have no where else to turn. It's what I asked for after all, when I jumped off that ship."

She looked up only long enough to motion to the woman for another fill of wine before looking to the man across from her for his reaction.
Last edited by Thalia Maelstrom on Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Katherine Anne Porter
Shea Artrien
Civus

Post by Shea Artrien »

One god & many... He thought, She's actually telling me the truth. It wasn't hard to see that the woman that sat across the table from him, and smelled slightly and sweetly of sea salt, was being completely earnest in her tale. In a town like Roque, and in a tavern no less, how rare was that?

Shea wasn't sure what exactly it was that disconcerted him most. The fact that Thalia had so easily shared her story or was it something else? Something she'd possibly missed?

"I'm sure you're aware that your Father may send men looking for you?" the swordsman's tone was straight and to the point. Shea accepted her tale as told, and would not tease or mock her with any details of it. He did indeed have questions, but the most important issue, first. "As may your betrothed...especially if he has the assets you claim. Have you thought of that?"

Thalia Maelstrom
Civus

She knew it. She knew she had said to much, and while she regretted that, she also knew the other side of her tale. Her demeanor stiffened slightly, not in fear or reproach, but anger, towards Shea. Her eyes took on a steely look and her arms folded tightly across.

"There's very little chance of that. My father is prideful, not of me, but of his business. I am a shame to him, from the start, and a disappointment in even my sex. He trained me to be a merchants wife only because thats the only option he thought he had."

She leaned towards him, the anger simmering to a challenge as she drew up as close to him as the table would let her, her hair falling in a curtian towards him, hiding her flashing eyes from anyone who would look upon the couple at that moment. Her eyes stared into his, from the half a foot that parted she from he, the silver green depths taking on a dark cast.

"There wont be any reward for any that returned me, if that's what your implying sir. My father will probably gain more credit in the wrong doing of my disappearance then he would from the marriage. The man I was to marry, well, he's never met me, and Im sure my father will feed his ego enough lies about what really happened to me that all will end well. My father is nothing if not good at trades, as I said, whether they are good or bad, and I was nothing but a trade for him. If I was to be out of the picture, they would just agree to another trade, one that made me look the fool, and them look the victims. I will be shamed and they will reap the benefits. There are a numerous amount of things that they can say really happened to me, and as long as I never return to prove them wrong, then it will all be for the better."

She wasnt angry, not really at Shea atleast. She knew she had spoken to much when the words tumbled from her mouth. She blamed the wine and the welecome wit of the man across from her. She wasnt used to either in ernest. Thalia reached out, her palms pressing into the tabletop between them both, the pressure of the stable grain beneath her fingers hiding a slight tremble Though whether the shiver was out of anger or fear was uncertain. Thalia sighed softly, still leaned towards him as the angry look in her eyes was replaced by a bitter smirk.

"You dont think I would honestly give you all the facts, do you? My name is known only to me, and my face and self can be easily changed or hidden if I feel I need to leave any impression I've made on you behind. I tell you these things only because I feel there can only be so many lies between us if we are to actually do anything towards this mission that has been placed before us. We have been made a team, atleast for now and I think we could do each other credit. It may be a foolish choice to put any trust in you..." Here her eyes took on an almost wounded look, something in them perhaps reaching out to be proven correct, or perhaps just shamed to have put herself in this possible corner so easily.

"So you do as you will with the information I have given you...I jumped a ship once, I can do it again."
Last edited by Thalia Maelstrom on Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Katherine Anne Porter
Shea Artrien
Civus

Post by Shea Artrien »

Shea cocked his head ever so slightly to the left as he listened to her tirade. When she finished, the dark-haired rogue blinked twice, then glanced down at his mug.

"So. You would have me believe that either you think me to be a scoundrel of the knavest sort, who will turn you over to the first set of hunters to offer up a few coppers, or, that you have rather cleverly cast a web of half-truths and distractions in the telling of your tale, so much so that there would be no way that even a talented investigator could discern your origins?"

His piercing eyes flickered up to meet hers, "Perhaps you have acted hastily, true, to offer up so much background to a complete stranger...but I'll not call you a fool, Thalia. I'd rather call you friend."

Shea's lip twitched into a small, but friendly smirk, "Though if you'd prefer to leap again into the bay, I'd be more than happy to watch and see if you grow a tail, Mistress."

Thalia Maelstrom
Civus

She almost turned russet with the blush of embarrassment that rushed to her neck and face. Thalia dropped back from her fervent speech with dropped eyes that wondered exactly how long would would take to melt into the grains of wood below her.

God's above, and to think I could have spent that time better filling my mouth with the food then the words

It didnt surprise her though, that she had once again made a fool of herself. Imagine that, a woman that was willing to speak her mind had once again stuck her foot in her mouth. A credit to her sex she was now. Her chest rose in a deep sigh and she abashedly looked up to Shea, in a faltering apology.

"Forgive me, Sir Shea, for assuming anything and speaking everything...I said my Father taught me etiquette, I didnt say I learned it well. I do take credit in not trusting anyone in a predicement as I have placed myself, but I happily take humility in accepting your offer of friendship."

She smiled sweetly to him, her apology laid out as quickly as her sharp tounge and raised an tapered eyebrow aswell as her empty glass in salute.

"Shall I ask anything more of you, Lord Shea, or shall you spill your guts in an embaressing rendition so that I shall not feel so alone in my foolishness??
-Katherine Anne Porter
Shea Artrien
Civus

Post by Shea Artrien »

Shea's tongue touched his lips for a moment, a bemused look on his face. "First off, if we are indeed to call upon one another in friendship, let us away with all these titles that in truth are far from accurate."

"I am no lord, and neither am I a nobleman," the swordsman's words held no rancor, but were merely stating fact, "I am simply Shea."

His eyebrow arching, Shea motioned dismissively with his hands, "As for the rest of that talk of foolishness? Let it be past us, eh? We have more important issues to discuss...such as, where the targets of our search might be."

Thalia Maelstrom
Civus

Thalia's smile brightened at his easy dismissal at her foot in mouth extraction.

"Fine, we shall avoid revealing stories of your own for now. But...I will claim one one day in the future. Perhaps you will tell me of this. "

She leaned foreword in her seat, her fingertips reaching out to almost brush his chin where a long scar traveled down his face. She had noticed it earlier when he had turned to the serving woman and was quite willingly to blame the still coursing wine for her brash move now.
Her fingertips were apparently less willing to make herself look foolish again however, and stopped a hairsbreath from touching his skin. She quickly sat back in her chair again, giving her wine glass an accusatory glance.

My gods, things are more potent in Roque...

She lightly sighed again, and shook her head softly as if having a small personal war in her thoughts before looking up to the debonair man across from her.

"Shall we pursue someone to question, or do you have secret contacts you can turn to in your new career as an investigator. All my contacts are too wet to turn to and I think in having given up my tail I've given up the rights to ask any favors from them." She grinned to him, hoping the continuing jest at their meeting would be distraction enough from her almost invading movement towards him the moment before.[/i]
-Katherine Anne Porter
Shea Artrien
Civus

Post by Shea Artrien »

The dashing swordsman stiffened slightly as the auburn-haired beauty reached towards him, though it passed nearly as quickly as it had come. As a matter of fact, he had just started to lean into her hand when Thalia withdrew it.

His voice betrayed little as he grinned, "Alas, my secret contacts seem to like to remain secrect, my dear, even from me. So, I propose that we must make do with what modest means we have available to us. Shall we ask the bartender?"

Thalia Maelstrom
Civus

She nodded absently as she mentally willed her mind and body to obey her rational mind and stop acting impusivily. She refused to be a pawn to one good cup of wine!

Thalia clasped her hands together, binding them in reprimation for reaching out unbidden and glanced over to the bar.

"Perhaps we should go to the bar then, I doubt the bartender would be happy to come to our bidding when we need the answers they might supply."
-Katherine Anne Porter

Return to “Roque d'Ancourt”