[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tazlure • View topic - Tazlure: The Way Forward

Tazlure: The Way Forward

Tazlure: The Way Forward

Postby Maeve » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:12 pm

Last edited by Maeve on Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[color=orange]
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Postby Quinlan Corodin » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:09 am

Last edited by Quinlan Corodin on Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Quinlan Corodin
Condotierre Lieutenant

Postby Grant » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:21 am

Maeve: It starts with ambition
Meridiuz: It ends with Grant
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Postby Quinlan Corodin » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:45 am

Quinlan Corodin
Condotierre Lieutenant

Postby Maeve » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:09 am

Last edited by Maeve on Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
[color=orange]
Maeve

Postby Mairi Armstrong » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:20 pm

Okay. Firstly - some brave and very bold moves here. It can't be easy to take a system that has been tried and tested for so long and remould it.

I suspected that you might introduce a regular recess after the first one recently. I had a look at Age of Intrigue with a view to playing (although I never got round to it) and they seem to employ a similar system there. I'm in favour of it, but only if it remains once anually - I think that's an ideal amount of time in which to enjoy the current time period. I'm in favour of this because it solves a lot of problems which I've observed in Tazlure over the years - for example, it allows the various training systems (magic colleges, bardic college, Abbey etc.) much more realism, with students able to build skills and graduate in a far more realistic time frame than previously. It allows ic consqeuences such as pregnancy and illness to beproperly implemented and played out (pregnancy in the old system being fairly impossible, unless magical). Relationships can be made more solid, and again more realistic, as they would be based on months rather than days of contact. Furthermore, I suspect we will see yet more PCs in high status and important positions, which is fantastic - it means that players are literally in charge and creates, imo, a far more exciting world in which to exist.

With regards to the wealth skill, as I understand it it would place restrictions on what players want to buy. It's a shame that the inventory list will be reduced, but then again as you say not many people check it. Maybe the inventory list will become more of a decription of individual items, such as clothing?

I'm not sure whether I will want to use the multiple PC option - I don't even have a 2nd pc yet. I guess if I see Mairi running out of steam I'll use it...I don't know. But I think it will be great for a lot of people, and it might also come in handy when you want to open new areas (like the EE...long way off, I know) and lots of senior players have 2 characters already. So in conclusion, some brave moves, but I think they'll do the site good. Besides, if they don't work out at least we tried them :)
~The shadowy mountains and the echoing sea~
Mairi Armstrong
Envoy

Postby Maeve » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:36 pm

[color=orange]
Maeve

Postby Shaeliana » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:59 pm

Last edited by Shaeliana on Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Postby Grant » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:32 pm

Maeve: It starts with ambition
Meridiuz: It ends with Grant
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Postby Raevyn D`Altamooriana » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:51 pm

The fiddler fiddled his violin which smelled horribly like fresh afterbirth boiled in cabbage.

© Marta @ www.marta-dahlig.com
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

Postby Shaeliana » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:33 am

The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made.
- Andolin
Shaeliana
Retired Game Designer

Re: Tazlure: The Way Forward

Postby Hex da`Bergliin » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:26 am

~
The Kona is dead, long live the Witches
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Postby Med » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:07 pm

well just going to go for it.. No ones answers will ever be right. To me it's about themes Shae would beat me down any day writing a romance type piece. I did okay with action adventure, but based on players. Wicker Needle cool idea should use that again it didn't go away.

Otherwise not sure what to say here.
There are two ways in life everything can go. Think about consequences and what doing bad will reflect on your future and vice versa. Karma is the mantra of life.
Med

Postby Elvin Motricé » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:57 pm

I would like to make one remark on awarding skills like the Taz Birthday and the Recess.

It would help a lot if you could actually use those stars to get above journeyman in literacy and language skills that you already have. Language and literacy training during play are boring and language is something that improves as well when a character actively participates with others in that language. Most skills I can get by playing but upping my language skills? Frankly I don't want to write a thread about improving my language skills. Recess and timejumps might be an excellent way to address that problem.

Just two random banners I found laying around in that chaotic room that sometimes works as a brain *goes back to revising for his exams*:)
"- and so's Mister Motricé." Becca smiled wryly. "He's probably going to go - he's not set anything on fire for a few months, so he's got to be going through withdrawal by now." ~ Becca Acerbi
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Postby Quinlan Corodin » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:34 pm

I would think that birthday stars remain the same in that they cannot be used to raise a skill above journeyman...

...although perhaps they could be merged with the recess posts? Much like you are expected to explain your skill choices in your background, birthday stars could become part of the recess posts, and in the recess you explain why they're going where they are? The gains wouldn't have to be tied hard and fast to the birthday stars, but it provides a tidy IC way to account for them...

...and seeing as how the recess posts are as IC as any other thread - just an accelerated time version - that any skill could be raised to any level within reason. Obivously trying to obtain Master of a skill in a recess post would be frowned upon, but surely a star or two in Journeyman wouldn't be outside the scope of what is good and right?
Quinlan Corodin
Condotierre Lieutenant

Postby Maeve » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:41 pm

We are currently deciding what to do with the skills. As times move faster this may be the time to make skill advancement more realistic (aka slower for some skills while deliberately upping language and literacy skills that have a more long term view and get snowed under in threads). We are not decided on what to do with that.
[color=orange]
Maeve

Postby Vanir Alfheim » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:10 pm

Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something right."

Avatar by the wonderful Finn. Much thanks!!
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Postby Finley Ward » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:14 pm

Finley Ward
Retired staff

Postby Vanir Alfheim » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:19 pm

Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something right."

Avatar by the wonderful Finn. Much thanks!!
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Postby Maeve » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:25 am

Before we sink deeper and deeper into some favorite topics like sex.... let me just mention that we've made a start to add modding seminar material to the wiki. Of course updates still need to be made to reflect recent changes.
[color=orange]
Maeve

Postby Reinhard » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:04 pm

I like the idea of advancing language/literacy skills in the recesses (assuming the character is in a position to do so!). They do tend to be very boring to roleplay, and are often neglected.
Reinhard
Civus

Postby Kaelara Mentahn » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:39 pm

Being newly returned, I have to admit that one reason I decided to come back and actually play again - instead of just glance around and enjoy the stories from a distance, per se, - was directly related to the recess concept. It also gave me an easy way to rejoin the game, without getting stuck trying to unravel storylines and find out how things would work.

I can see that, if people get waylaid by life, the Recess periods will allow people to catch up, dive back in... get involved without throwing a huge wrench in what is already going on or trying to pick up their own stalled storylines.

Just another thought, from someone returning. :)
Avatar courtesy of www.allavatars.com - Electra
Kaelara Mentahn
Shopkeeper

Postby Abner Klop » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:35 pm

I've been on vacation and only checking in periodically, so I missed this announcement until now. But anyway, I think this is a good step. I had mixed feelings about the last recess when it was announced--because Abner was about to culminate what had been a *very* long story arc and I felt a little cheated not getting to play it out--but when I actually sat down and wrote his recess post, I found it very fulfilling. I definitely feel like I've moved him forward in some interesting directions as a result. With my second character, who was still rather "young" when the recess hit, I wound up doing something like a reboot: cutting ties with his past and moving to a new location. Again, though, I feel like I added some depth to the character and developed a better sense of who he was as a result.

So, kudos to the GDs for taking this step. I'll be looking forward to seeing it play out.
"Wel loved he garlek, onyons, and eek lekes,
And for to drynken strong wyn reed as blood"
--Geoffery Chaucer
Abner Klop
Civus

Postby Maeve » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:05 pm

It has been more than 9 months since the conception of Tazlure's new concept. Time for an update.

The Dip
First of all we apologize for the dip that has occurred especially since last autumn. Due to personal circumstance several GD's had to take a step back, leaving the rest to struggle. The same goes for moderators. Most of us are now back in full force and intending to stay. We even have new moderators join the team through our modding seminar. Our thanks go especially to Syra and Grey Wolf, and their great moderator team, who have kept the game afloat doing a zillion things at once. At the moment our activity has gone up with more than 25% since our deepest low, so we are going forward.

Closure of the Old, Opening of the fresh
Moderators are remarkably like players (well, DUH). Sometimes we need new horizons as a person, and for the game as a whole. Concepts may be worn, players less interested, or the moderator simply no longer inspired for an area. In true Tazlure style we have not shied away from closing areas, no matter how legendary, if on the whole the area proved too draining for the game. At the same time we've allowed moderators to find new loves. Dragonskeep, the Eastern Empire and Nether's Gate are but the first of these new areas that we hope bring new life to the game.

That is not to say old areas will never be around again. World's Mouth, Terra Incognita, Amun Rah, Trothgard.. they all but await new players and new moderators, two necessary ingredients for keeping an area afloat.

Wealth and Player Freedom
As of today, all players have been screened for the wealth skill, that is replacing our inventory. You can read details here:
http://wiki.tazlure.nl/index.php/Wealth

Your coordinator will be checking my work. If you think something is being overlooked please use the thread in the Approved Sheets forum.

Reminder of Changes that are now implemented
The following is now standard procedure:

1. Players can retire their characters at will and create a new one. This retirement need only be temporary. You can dig up an old character later, for instance after Recess. The only rule is that you have only two active PC's at a time.

2. Restricting rules have been dumped, such as the three thread rule of thumb. If you feel a rule is still restrictive feel free to discuss it with your coordinator.

3. You can request any change to your sheet in the Approved Sheets forum. We will try and keep an active moderation of the sheets, so please do point things out there.

4. The new Modding Seminar allows all senior players to enter and find what they need. The treatises are in the wiki, and participants in the seminar will gain a supportership place in one of the areas in Tazlure, with good feedback on how you are doing.

5. The wiki has been reorganized. More details may follow, because a wiki is never finished. We encourage everybody to participate in the wiki!
Last edited by Maeve on Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[color=orange]
Maeve

Postby Maeve » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:03 pm

Recess
We have not forgotten our plans regarding recess.

Despite our dip we expect that we'll jump into Recess by the end of of May or the beginning of June. The reason for that is the cycle of the game. Our quiet periods are Mid June till Mid August and December till mid February. In the summer break we can cover for Recess, while winter break will be used for the TMA's and general evaluation of the game.

This also means that we'll have frequent Sync Events to keep us on track for the Recess.
[color=orange]
Maeve

Return to Banter