Howling rant of a Grey Wolfie

Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Howling rant of a Grey Wolfie

Post by Grey Wolf »

Now, this here thingy is a challenge. There has been attempts to see why people think being a mod is scary and frankly I ain't convinced. So lemme just give you a personal account of what it's REALLY like. And I dare you all to convince me otherwise.

Lemme start with a story if you will.

Been a while since I joined. Four years and a bit more. Been playing for a while, and even had a pair of characters going. Then I got talked into taking the seminar. Been a bit scared. At first. Then breezed through it and enjoyed it. Some pretty fun stuff written there. You just have to read it right and see the stuff written as guidelines that are meant to give you one view on how you could mod. Not should, could. Because you can do it differently, and tweak it to suit you. This is just to provide you with a tested solution others have found to be working well.

Then came the really scary part. Citadel and its political scene. Or rather it was scary and made me nervous, but I was far too stubborn to let it stop me. It turned out it was not really that scary. A bunch of NPCs which have been described in the Mod forums. And you take them, post a few times for them, get a feel how they behave in your hands and you are doing the modding thing. After a while when someone meets an NPC you just feel the reply flowing out of your keyboard.

Then came the Coordinator's position. Somewhat suddenly I was given the entire city and after initial shock once more realized that it was real easy. You had more responsibility sort to speak, but if you see it as fun and not work it is not that scary. Plotting bit is easy-peasy. You just think of a logical, fun event that could take place. Or even not that. You think of a logical reaction to something players did. Think who would be present. And then you post a thread or simply put it into a post for the existing thread. And you got yourself a plot going.

Now, I saw a lot of you being worried their writing was not up to the standard expected from mods. Pffffffffft. Don't make me laugh. Why do you think mods post as good as they do? Because they are fancy writers from birth with special cool-writing superpowers? Yeah right. It is simple. Practice, practice, practice. You post as a mod and your posting improves. Just like it does when you are a player.

Worried about the abundance of existing content? HA. You don't like it? Change it. Simple as that. An NPC might be having personal problems. He might have been dumped by a girl. Thousands of reasons why he changed. Usually players won't mind it if you change the NPC when you take over. They will offer advice, give you links to threads where the NPC appeared and help you get the feel of him or her. But, you can always say, no "he is like this now" and think of a simple reason why.

Think you can't handle the pressure? Then why not mod only two threads? Maybe just one? Get into modding slowly. See if you like it. I bet you will like it. And always remember one thing. Players love to get their posties. By posting you make people happy. Don't you like to see when Wolfie has been online and posted to your thread? Do ya? Do ya? Do ya? Well, I do like when my mod posts and makes me think and makes my char squirm.

And last, but certainly not the least, when you are a mod you do not have to do all yourself and struggle alone. There are other mods there. And guess what/ They help. Offer advice. Support you. Help you solve problems. Guide you. Do all sort of cutesy friendly stuff to get you through. Cause they went through it. And they know what made it better. Sure, we got that scary dragon lady in the cave. But, guess what. She is cute under all those scales. And nice. As are the others. So, hug your mod and see him or her as a person who dedicates just a bit more time to Tazlure than a regular player. They give and do so gladly. Don't you want to do so too. Father of Heavens, Pan and even Dominicus like those that give.

Now, that dare thingy. Think I am full of it? Think you can prove it? Let hear it. Show me I am wrong. I dare ya.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Thrandil
Hunter, Lieutenant Emerald Guard

Post by Thrandil »

I don't know if you would even want to get replies, but....

I think rant is a big word for this. You described it wonderfully, Grey Wolf. I still remember how you started... And what you just posted... it's kinda nagging at me to join you again...

Hmmm... maybe I should?

Anyway, from a retired mods view for all those players out there:

There's no better thing than being a mod. Any cruel ideas? Any fun ideas? Use them. Your creativity is the limit... accept for a few hindrances like the pantheon and some stuff, but still, mostly creativity is.

Grey Wolf, very well said and let's hope some players will see the truth of your "rant".
Last edited by Thrandil on Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mairi Armstrong
Envoy

Post by Mairi Armstrong »

Grey Wolf, you are an awesome mod and much better than me back in the day when I used to mod in Dort!

I would definitely back you up on your point - modding is great fun, and I would still be doing it if it weren't for my pesky degree. Everyone should give it a go!
~The shadowy mountains and the echoing sea~
[size=75]avatar made from a photo by [url=http://www.sxc.hu/profile/alesia17]alesia17[/url][/size]
Morg

Post by Morg »

Yep, I started the poll on the Poll Board, but I wasn't attempting to show why modding was scary. Just genuinely bemused at why more people didn't.

For what it's worth, as a writer I think that modding is the bees' knees. The amount of power you have for instant creativity is succulently liberating. =P~

In other words: yay for Grey Wolf, and yay for mods in general. :D
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Gwayne of Vendeling »

O stop nagging like a old man ! I am just a lazy guy and a poor writer besides that. So I have no reason to be a mod anyway.

By the way its because people like you and Syra that people won't become moderator, you guys are just way to good, we feel outclassed everytime we read your posts ! Maybe we would be just as good if we actually post a bit more often, but that's not guaranteed, and very unlikely. So we just don't try and wait until you guys serve us a nice story so we can post and enjoy ourselves.

We players are lazy by nature and refuse to become mod !

Now shut up and post !

:twisted:
The Goddess is at my side, until she decides to leave me...

Posting on possible days Avatar from our lady Finley.. a mistress of capturing dreams and nightmares in word and pictures.
http://pixieface.deviantart.com/
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

Gwayne of Vendeling wrote:By the way its because people like you and Syra that people won't become moderator, you guys are just way to good, we feel outclassed everytime we read your posts!

LOL - too true! Hell, I feel outclassed nearly every time I read their PLAYER posts. Hm... most player posts come to think of it. But you know what? That's a really dumb way to approach this whole modding gig.

The way I try to see it is that it's not my job as a supporter to look awesome - what I should be doing is giving my players an opportunity to look awesome. And it's funny - once I realised that they were having a good time, it stopped mattering how good a writer I was compared to the other mods around me.
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Avatar by enayla at allavatars.com[/size]
Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Brytan »

I enjoy being a mod immensely. Brytan started out as a PC, but rather quickly (post recess) faded into the background to make way for my modding under his name. Even though there have been times I've had less time to dedicate to the game, and there have been moments when I've felt overwhelmed by all the game's information, there have always been two things that kept things interesting;

(re)Creating environments (dev)
Writing environments (modding)

Being dropped into a strange world as a player is not the same as when you're a mod. Being a mod you need to know the environment well and I've found it a great challenge to do this. Usually with the added bonus of being able to write on a foundation others had started, that is one of the things I find most fun about modding, creating fun places for people to write in.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]
Med

Post by Med »

Got to say you guys do it well and it seems far more organized now.

I do get your point though Grey when I first came in I was totally lost. I am also not a great writer I just use what I feel best at the time. Sometimes you need to do a little research (Yes you should do that) but all in all it always seemed more about the fun of making stories with the players.

It's really something you learn as you go much like being a player. Same exact thing actually. Like when you start out if you don't get a bit invested in others and umm stretch or fudge things a little it's going to be difficult. Don't be a rules lawyer, because your life will be boring as heck in this game. Try the new things even if you might fail. Speaking on my own behalf I know if someone gave me an inventive post trying to do something I would definitely give encouragement. Because heck mods are human too and they have to read our posts. So if it's a bland one liner of "Terra enters the ciatdel" there isn't much excitement there for them.

Now you go "Terra enters the Citadel a dark lust in her eyes.. She had heard her former husband's concubine resided down at the Burpin' Dragon. This was more than a sore spot for her as she felt for her hidden knife. It would be used for one thing this night."

Short example but help your mods out to give you more.
There are two ways in life everything can go. Think about consequences and what doing bad will reflect on your future and vice versa. Karma is the mantra of life.
Syra
The Chocolate Game Designer

Post by Syra »

*Cheers Med on*

You got it, mister, and it's usually the first thing we advise players who feel troubled in actually moving their character in their post.

Many good points made and dear people, luckily Ez-boards disappeared because when I read back my posts as Syrawenn....the mod was lucky if he got 8 lines out of me cause I was just about as hyper as Syra, used to tabletop direct reactions.

So yeah, then I started to play Elaine and needed different ways of describing things due to her blindness. Around that time I started to mod as well and gosh golly, that WAS scary. Sometimes I was just staring at a post, hoping the player would accept whatever I was doing.

Then suddenly it clicked: players accept it. And why? Because they are here for the surprise, for the thrill, for a bit of nice self punishment to get their characters to develop. They are here for the same fun as the moderators: to write a story together.

And yes, I learn and steal LOADS from my players! New words and phrases every day that I can use in another thread. So to me it was a great way to improve my very minimalistic way of posting.

Good example for me: my current thread in Roque with Alexandrya is one that gets me itching just as badly as if I were a player in that thread, because the interaction between her and some npc is just so lively.

My reason to start moderating was indeed: to get more fun out of it. To get more posties in. To try out everything I wouldn't try as a player cause you can have no more than two characters.

And boy, did it ever work :)
[size=75]Chocolate is not an addiction, it is a way of life.

[/size]

Return to “Banter”