A sad but fond farewell: Gary Gygax

Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

A sad but fond farewell: Gary Gygax

Post by Maeve »

Aerin already brought us the news in chat tonight. This morning it was in our national news as well.

I'm personally very sorry to learn of Gary Gygax's death. Gygax was the co-creator of Dungeon's and Dragons in 1974.

Tazlure started as an Advanced Dungeon's and Dragons game, even though we've since moved to our own homebrew system. We all would not be here without it though, of that you can be certain.

*gives a respectful bow* Thank you for bringing us hours of fun Gary :)
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

Post by Aerin Penna Seleratus »

Not stealing another's work, but I saw this in the Fark.com forum and had to repost it here, with credit given, of course...

"In a thread that is already a strong eulogy for the passing
of a great man, I will only say without any fear or self
consciousness that I owe all that I have achieved in this
life, both directly and indirectly, to my love of RPG's.

They sharpened my math skills when I was a poor math student as a lad.

They gave me confidence to interact with people and work with them to tell fun stories.

They taught me how to think things out and how to think on my feet.

They taught me how to deal with unexpected situations without panicking.

They taught me, above all, how systems work and can be subverted if you know them well enough.

In short: he gave me the tools to get ahead in life, and for that I am eternally grateful."

DjangoStonereaver

R.I.P. Gary

Without you, my dice bag will always feel empty.

Chris
”The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” – Nietzsche

Avatar by Draconis (Found and resized by Paige)
http://drakonis.org
Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

I think it is safe to say that none of us would be here without his creations. He started RPing in all forums and made it socially acceptable. We all owe him a bit of thanks for all that spawned from a simple roll of the dice.
[color=green]Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something right." [/color]

Avatar by the wonderful Finn. Much thanks!!
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

In the words of some internet wit:

Let us all observe 1d4 minutes of silence in his honor.

Rest in peace Oh Dungeon Master.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Hastarl Ras'diath
Simaldi hand

Post by Hastarl Ras'diath »

This is sad to hear.

I've never actually played D&D myself but I know none of this would ever exist if D&D hadn't been created or become so popular.

For that I am grateful.
[i]"Abandon the Search for Truth... Settle for a Good Fantasy"[/i]

Quote [url=http://www.rpggateway.com]RPGGateway[/url]
Matiel Escariot
Civus
Location: In a place surrounded by farms I my family does not own.

Post by Matiel Escariot »

I'm glad Maeve started this thread. Everything that we are as both gamers and storytellers is thanks to Gygax and the ideas he shared with us. It's heart warming to think that he was just a regular guy who loved to play. A guy who saw the world as a game and played it, played it well. He turned us all into warriors, knights, paladins, priests, and the occasional halfling rogue. In all honesty, even the harshest and most evil of characters would bow their heads and genuflect at the old man's passing. I say old man because history may not choose to remember him as it did Roosevelt or Aristotle, the so called great men, but to us he is as good as them or something even better. He is someone that gave us something, something that belongs to us. For this he changed the world in which only a geek could.

For he who rolled first I salute you.
Elsor
Civus

Post by Elsor »

Thankyou, you are a hero to us nerds everywhere. You make us into heroes, and popular heroes into nerds. You right the world with your balancing act of intellect and imagination and make the world, undoubtedly, a more colourful place to live.

*salutes*
Thanks to allavatars.com for my avatar!

Return to “Banter”