The Tazlure Crisis

Hastarl Ras'diath
Simaldi hand

Post by Hastarl Ras'diath »

I can't really say I was shocked when I read Maeve's first post. We've been seeing the tendencies for a long time, personally remembering the Recesses, the Mouth closing and the drastic rescaling not so long ago.

These have all been patches along the way until we stand before another patch. What I'm saying have already been said and we've heard terms like homework and chores when it comes to modding. If the mods aren't having fun they burn out and the best for them to do is to take a break.

The big problem is when a mod takes a break and there isn't coming a new mod with long-term energy to fill in. We've been downscaling a lot and I don't think another downscale will solve our problem. It might push it though and with all the help being offered we could continue for a while until the inevitable burnouts storms in and a nother crisis emerges. As Arnholt said it might work for a while, we might have fun doing so and I'll be willing to support it, but it is another patch.

I wouldn't go for free-form. A great thing about Tazlure is the moderated system. It demands a lot of resources but it also gives a lot to both players and moderators alike and it opens possibilities which free-form doesn't include.

On the third option I agree with Finley and I couldn't have put it better than you did. Closing might be good thing and give everyone a break to fill up with energy. Some might work on their own setting and one day we might attract a group of mature players again and bring forth Tazlure's core principles to the next generation of roleplayers.

Last but not least I have had a great time at Tazlure, although I never really got back after the Mouth closed. Tazlure was the first place for me to roleplay and the experience I've acquired means a lot to me, as will the memories of the stories I've been a part of and (hopefully) will be a part of in the future.

I leave the decision in your capable hands.
Last edited by Hastarl Ras'diath on Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[i]"Abandon the Search for Truth... Settle for a Good Fantasy"[/i]

Quote [url=http://www.rpggateway.com]RPGGateway[/url]
Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Post by Vanadius »

There's probably been 10 replies since I started my post, so please forgive me if I re-tread over old ground...

When I came in this morning and started to read this, I found myself awash in a mixture of emotions;

Sadness: That we're struggling at all
Fear: That Tazlure might be going away
Anger: At some sort of incorrectly perceived 'failure'
Relief: That others were seeing and feeling many of the same things
Accomplishment: For what we have accomplished here over the years
Loyalty: To my fellow Players and Mods
Determination: Not to let Tazlure die
Hope: That we can continue on in some way, shape or form.

The truth is, I'm struggling to imagine not coming into work in the morning, and logging into Tazlure to see what happened over the weekend. That's like having a piece of me gone. But at the same time I realize that it hasn't been fun for a lot of people for a while, and given that Tazlure is first and foremost a game that is supposed to be fun, I can understand the tendency to draw back and retire from that.

There's been a lot of blood, sweat and tears that has gone into this site over the years. A lot of time and effort and man hours have gone into making the game look and act the way it does, and just even casually clicking through the wiki will tell you how much thought and creativity has gone into making this game what it is.

But also what it is, is dying. That's a cold hard fact. I have had several conversations with people about Tazlure "missing the spark it once used to have." People lacking inspiration to post has been a real problem. To its credit, the game continues to change and evolve, and sometimes that means it changes to a level or into something that isn't as appealing as it used to be. It's not a zero sum equation, but it is true that what is fun for some, might not be for others. Part of what makes Tazlure great is that it's flexible enough for all to play out their character's desires, no matter what they might be.

To keep it going, sacrifices must be made. Some drastic changes will have to be not only endured, but more importantly, supported. I don't imagine a completely freeform Tazlure working for anyone. Its like ripping the core out of many of the aspects that make this a truly unique place to play. To me, freeform RPGs are a dime a dozen, and having Tazlure devolve into something everyone else can have or do cheapens and dirties it's name and reputation in my opinion. Shutting it all down and pulling the plug is a viable option, as painful as it may be. I think it was Walt Disney who said "Always leave them wanting more." And shutting down would certainly do that for many of us. Many of us will remember fondly the great accomplishments of our characters, the interaction and challenges from our Mods and fellow Players, and most importantly the fun we had. You guys are all roleplayers, you know that half the fun of playing is reminiscing about these things before and after RP sessions. Tazlure will live on that way no matter what happens.

My most favored option is downsizing, rescaling, and adapting the mods and locations to better fit the true player base. I would rather have a smaller and leaner Tazlure, than no Tazlure at all, but having said that, it also has to appeal to the majority and to Maeve.

As many others, I freely offer whatever I can bring to the table to help it continue, or to reach a satisfying final conclusion.

Whatever happens, I just want to take the time to express my love and gratitude I have for all of you. The Tazlure spirit started with Maeve, but without all of you, it would not be as strong or special.

Thank you.
Last edited by Vanadius on Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

Okay... how about this, then? Close for now, keep in touch. But before we close, keep the Tazlure lore in archives for potential future use. If we decide to reopen it, have it in the far future and we can decide what happened to the land and the PC's later. Maybe before we close, write the 'ever after' like in the Tapestry thread.

... Sorry if I'm being obnoxious about this, but I'm just trying to find a happy medium
"If all things are energy and a wizard is a master of manipulating it, then as a politician am I studying the greatest sorcery of all."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Most Heroic Male PC (2008)
Most Religious PC (2008/2006)
Arnholt
Civus

Post by Arnholt »

Before any final decision is made, perhaps an informal poll is in order?

A: I will stay to try and make this work.

I am a mod or I seriously want to be a mod. If I am not yet a mod, there is no "if" or "I guess" or "maybe" about it: I want to be a mod. I am tanned, tested and ready. I am in it for the long haul and I have no thought of leaving any time in the foreseeable future.

B: I'm done.

I've given it my best and I have nothing left. I'm finished. Done. I'm leaving no matter what. Tazlure has a special place in my heart but I am utterly drained and right now not even an act of god could convince me to stay. All the best, my bags are packed, farewell.

C: Neither of the above.

I'm staying... I think. Or I'm leaving but might possibly be back later, I guess. Or I'm staying only under the following conditions. Or I'll be a mod, but only out of a sense of duty, and in the back of my mind I know I can't handle it for long. Or I'm simply afraid to commit myself either way.

If there's only a couple of folks who can honestly say they're As, and a vast number of people are Bs or Cs, that would seem to indicate that the RP is done. If there are enough committed A folks to continue running even a downsized Tazlure it seems to me that they ought to have the chance to do it, and to continue grappling with potentially Tazlure-saving changes as they go.

I say "they" because I personally would be a C person. I'd love to stay but I am absolutely not prepared to mod. Been there, done that, burned out, can't handle going through it again any time soon.
Paige
Civus

Post by Paige »

I am pretty much a "C" person as well. I know for a fact I do not have the time to become a full-blown moderator, but if there is some way I can be of help where I wouldn't be putting a lot on my shoulders and letting people down, I will definitely try something.

Anyway, I think the poll idea is a great one. I think that if there are people out there who fall into the "A" category they should be given the opportunity to try. You never know what will happen unless you try and sometimes you have to do things over and over again at times before you see a success.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do than by the things you did. So, throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

Tazlure and what it means to me.

Post by Raevyn D`Altamooriana »

Tazlure for me, has honestly become a way of life for me. That may sound strange but there is reason why I say this. I've been on board here since, if my memory serves me correctly 2002 when it was on EZ boards. The relationship that I have with Tazlure has lasted longer than any relationship I've ever had. There was a time in my life that I wasn't even happy living life. The only thing I had to look forward to was coming to the boards to write, and into the the chat room to hang out with people like, Antos, Muddy, Thranny, Oskaar (I don't remember if that's how he spelled it) Maeve, Sosa, Syra, Caelin, Meri, Ash, and a many others.

In my self destructive life it allowed me to create, instead of destroy. It allowed me to be and feel happy when I couldn't stand anything else or to be around anyone else, including myself. It was an outlet for my frustrations and anger. It was also a sort of safe haven for me when the temptations to just say fuck it, why don't I just go get so high that I overdose were almost too much to bear.

Thanks to Tazlure I've been blessed with meeting some of the best people in the world. Tazlure is more than a game. It’s more than just some random ass online community. It is family and it is friends. Doing what they love and enjoy with those that they share common interests with. Doing them with people that care about them and they care about. So much so that people have met here, played here, and ended up getting married because they found someone that they connected with on more than a game playing level and wanted to share the rest of their lives with. How fuckin cool is that??

We share our happiness with each other. We share pictures of ourselves and our families, friends and loved ones. Even our pets. We've shared triumphs and tragedies with each other. Everything from the loss of loved ones to births of our children, those that have them. That is why I say Tazlure is a way of life. Hell I can go as far as saying that it may very well have saved my life.

All of my time here hasn't been peachy keen either. I've done and said some terrible things in the past. I've poked my nose in matters where it didn't belong. I've hurt people's feelings. I've been banned more than once. Some of the trouble I got into was due to my passion for this game and for the people that created and played it. Ego too, I won't lie. BUT through it all... through it all I can honestly say that being here has made me a better person in real life now than I was before I joined up. More in part to people like Maeve, Syra, and Ulder putting my ass in place and keeping my then ego in check. I may not have liked it then, but I thank them now.

It’s that same passion that I have always felt for this game that leads me to write this. The game is in a crisis one that can quite possibly shut down this game that so many people including myself have come to love over the years. There is a problem, one that we can fix if we put our heads together. Now through my life’s experiences I’ve been gifted with the ability, I guess you can call it that, of being a problem solver. It’s helped me advance t management level in 3 of my last jobs. So this crisis that we are having I would like to approach in such manner that I would if I were at a job and trying to fix a problem there.

I will start with the first option which is downsizing the playable areas. I agree that this is perhaps the first and perhaps most important aspect of restructuring Tazlure. I’ve been opposed to the opening of new areas for quite some time, feeling that Tazlure was becoming too big. With new areas you needed more mods, more work, more players. So I would suggest closing all areas accept for the three most active. It will turn some people away granted, but I think that is a small sacrifice to pay for the overall good of the site. Closing area’s is depressing for a player, I know I’ve been in four or five areas that have closed down for whatever reasons. I just took it as a challenge for my character in a new area of play. I focused on the positive instead of the negative. I think that players will eventually warm up to new areas that they find their characters in.

The cons:
Plotlines are ended.
Some players will be dissatisfied and possibly leave.
Some editing of backgrounds may need to take place.

The pros:
More player interaction due to less areas to play.
Less need for an abundance of mods.
Allows for easier plotting due to a scaled down world.

There are more I’m sure but those are the first three that I can think of for each.

Option two going free form. Free form rp’ing has already been proven to work. It take maturity as well as teamwork for those involved. It has worked in the Aether threads but I do not think that for Tazlure as a whole it would be a viable option. Moderation will always be part of what keeps this site exciting and has helped it endure over the years where other games have failed. I say keep the Aether as it is and keep it as an option while retaining three areas that are to be modded as an option for players who chose that as opposed to going totally free form.

The cons:
Players power gaming.
No control.
Could cause some players to lose interest due to free form nature.

The pros:
No power gaming
More control over the playable environment.
Keeps player interest with the choices already enjoyed.

Option three is not an option in my opinion so therefore I won’t comment on it other than by saying it would suck ass. Moreso I’d feel as though I lost someone/something very near and dear to my heart.

As for my other suggestions to what I’ll call Project Talure Makeover will be to do away with areas that aren’t necessary for the survival of the game. These are just my suggestions and as such are open for discussion.

Do away with unnecessary forums such as:
Tazlure Chronicals,
University Publications
Player Journals
The Drawing Bard
University of Scribes
Scribe Library

With the inception of the Tazlure Wiki those areas are also obsolete in my opinion. They are rarely used and things such as the player journals can easily be converted over to the Wiki with the player being responsible for moving the information over if they so chose. The success of The Aether threads has made the Roost pretty much obsolete. What’s posted in The Roost can easily be done in the Aether forums.

GD, Coordinator, Mod terms.

What I mean by that is if a player qualifies enough to be a coordinator, it could be set for set time period, a term. Example if Guido is the Coordinator of Pax, he agrees to be a Coordinator for a term of 4-6 months. If after that term us up he’s burnt out, another Coordinator can then take over Pax for a ‘term’. So forth and so on. I feel that it will help alleviate some of the burn out. It can help keep Coordinators and mods fresh if they feel like going to a different location.

The same goes for GDs as well. It’s definitely a burden as Sosa Grant, Meri, Maeve, Syra, Shae, Tygress can all attest to. So if a player is qualified enough to be a GD then they too can be a GD for a set term pending Maeve’s approval. I also feel that no less than 3 GD’s should be maintained at a time, with maybe one other ‘on call’ so to speak if the need arises.

Maeve is the owner of the site. So let her be the owner much like a CEO or owner of a company. That doesn’t mean take control away from her. What I suggest is that her role as owner would be having basically final say over what goes on in the her game. She would have final say in who can be a GD and frees her up to get back to having fun with her creation once more. Leave the day to day operations to the GD, and let Maeve have funs once more.

This suggestion obviously is a rather out of the box approach, but I feel that it could work. If players are properly trained, mature, and responsible enough I feel that it could work. It will take some effort at first if we are to take such an approach but I feel that it could be beneficial for everyone who plays this game and runs it. It will be less of a burden and people only sign up for what they can handle.

There are other aspects of the game that I haven’t touched yet but can get to. I just wanted to get this up before time runs out so to speak. Things such as skilling, character sheet approval, and other things that I may not be aware of but would like to offer my input and suggestions.

I ask you to please consider these suggestions and if there’s any way that I can take part in helping the site please let me know. I love this game. I love the people that I’ve gotten to know on a personal level. As I said earlier, Tazlure IS a part of my life. I love it and cherish it and the people involved.
The fiddler fiddled his violin which smelled horribly like fresh afterbirth boiled in cabbage.

© Marta @ www.marta-dahlig.com
Shea Artrien
Civus

Post by Shea Artrien »

I like alot of what Raevyn is saying, and I think there are more than a few folks here that would echo what was said.

IF a decision is made to close the doors, about taking the basics of Rae's and some of the other posters' ideas, and then do a partial shut down?

That is, if there's a mod or two willing to run even a few threads, let some of us continue to play in whatever areas of the Tazlure world that are kept open? Obviously, this way, the GDs and Mods could then take a step back, rejuvinate, and peek in when they felt like it to make sure that things were staying true to the Tazlurian ideals, and those of us that want to continue...can.

Who knows? Perhaps seeing things moving along without them could re-inspire both players and mods to return, sans Burnout...

Just an idea to add to the pot.
Last edited by Shea Artrien on Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[i]"Just because something you said makes a man at the bar want to use his sword to kill you...well, that doesn't mean that what you said wasn't funny."[/i] ~ Shea

[size=75]Avatar courtesy of nwvault.ign.com[/size]
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

Post by Raevyn D`Altamooriana »

Also I would like to say. That if it's in Maeve heart to close the game down. I will full respect her decision to do so. It's her right as it's her game. I thank her for allowing me to take part in the great experience that Tazlure has been for me over the years.

Should she decide to keep it open, one I'll jump for joy, but I'll also do whatever I can to help her keep this dream of hers going. Either way and I'm saying this personally for every to see and read...

Thank you and I love you.

Keith
Last edited by Raevyn D`Altamooriana on Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The fiddler fiddled his violin which smelled horribly like fresh afterbirth boiled in cabbage.

© Marta @ www.marta-dahlig.com
Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

*does not want to lose his kitty*

I guess im a C person, I'd like to mod, but im not in a situation where i have a reliable enough connection to the net.

To be honest, Id like to get a clear picture of what the problem actually is. If the current system (im thinking skills/inventory rather than plot modding) is too labour intensive then it can be revised in a relatively painless way. If the content is not compelling enough then there is more of an issue because that requires a painful rewrite, loss of characters and interesting plots.

Personally I see only two options.

One - revise the existing system

Personally I like the way taz works. I like the recesses, i like getting stars every birthday, I like spending them, I like getting skills and playing with magical shapeshifting characters. But I can appreciate that this is a large burden on moderators who need to coordinate these shifts and re-read threads to judge skills and whatnot. Why not simplify the skill system and the inventories so they are easier to maintain? Something like a simple(*cough*) level system (*cough*), where your character can progress from basic to master level in their repertoire chosen skills with a corresponding value for the inventories. Something where the mod simply chose whether to advance them a level and the player could redistribute their skills to correspond to a period of training or enlightenment. The more I write this out the more of a headache it seems, but it seemed like a good idea when I started.

Ultimately, I like the setting, I like the plots, I like my character, I enjoy writing with the people I'm playing with. If the rest of Taz left and died and it was just Brytan and the 'throps I'd still log on every other day to check if they had murdered each other in their sleep.

I wouldn't mind downscaling, I could drag my pc over to WK. I could quite happily run some pc-pc interaction threads with a really low level mod imput. I could stand to see my charactersheet simplified, my inventory consist of only what she could carry at any given second. Infact, I think I'd really like to see a more intimate interaction between mod and player, perhaps more freedom to the plots since they wouldn't have to be part of a massive world-wide orchestrated whole.

two - Stop, consoildate, and create something new using the same moderation (which i think is key to Taz play) but perhaps in a different setting or with different systems.

NO!!!! I like it how it is.

But if that is how its going to role then I don't mind putting my e-mail onto a batch list. I'd look forward to a mail saying "Taz mk3, come pick up your plasmeraygunuke'a Bomb" I think as long as everyone enjoyed the setting it wouldn't matter.

my only Caveat with this is that I'd like to see realistic alternative plans in motion before someone just hit the big "off button"
[url=http://wiki.tazlure.nl/index.php/Isle_Cat]Isle Cat[/url][size=75][color=darkred]

I'm not here to play who's the better killer.

[i]But it [b]is[/b] my favourite game...[/i][/color][/size]
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

Post by Viviana Kaleyis »

Egads! I just reread my post and realized it could be taken the wrong way. :oops: By no means was I wanting to take over or anything of the sort. I was only offering to help out whenever, wherever, and however I can. I would also never suggest that the game be given over to anyone else. As my daughter would say: “That is so wrong on so many levels.” Maeve is the game's heart and when the heart is gone, everything else goes with it.

I just found out my cat has diabetes, and I guess my mind is just not working that well as I contemplate what to do. Maybe I am overreacting and no one even thought that my post meant that, but I wanted to clarify it just in case. If not ...well ... just ignore the ramblings of this crazy old cat lady. :D

I do like Raevyn's idea of specific terms for mods and coordinators. It worked well in one of the first games I ever joined. It's a great idea for those who want to try out modding without a long term commitment. If you like it, you can stay. If not, then you can leave without feeling you are disappointing anyone. In the above-mentioned game, I took a term and didn't like it. No one thought bad of me when I chose not to take another term and I didn't feel bad about my decision.

Kittee
Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

The problem with specific terms is that they cannot always be fulfilled. People come and go, it's part of the nature of the beast. You also dont want to make the mistake of people thinking they are obligated to do more than they can. If it isn't fun it don't get done, Taz is a game not a job.

What about an limit system for Mods? So they set a limit on how many threads they want to run then they stick to that limit. That prevents overstretching and, essentially - if you want to start a new thread, you need to find a mod with a free slot and ask if they are willing to run you - give a synopsis of your goals. Might help mods find stories that they are interested in running.
[url=http://wiki.tazlure.nl/index.php/Isle_Cat]Isle Cat[/url][size=75][color=darkred]

I'm not here to play who's the better killer.

[i]But it [b]is[/b] my favourite game...[/i][/color][/size]
Thrandil
Hunter, Lieutenant Emerald Guard

Post by Thrandil »

Alright... I'm a totally option 1 guy.

Option 3 is out of the question for me. I can understand if it'll be the final decision, but selfish me, as mod and player, says no.

Option 2... well... Anyone want to be in my team for FreeCell World Championship next year? Only 32000 games to learn by heart and -1 to -4 aren't able to be finished. Do I know? Yes I do.

I've been a player basically from the start seeing many come and go. A few times RL was too busy and I dropped Taz, only to return after a few months because of missing it.

It is not a drag to me. Not as it is. That being said, I'm not the most active mod/coordinator there is, but I try to let my players have fun. As a player I'm far too inactive, but trying to get the better now the busy times are over for me.

It pained me when I heard about this in the moderator chatroom, and it pains me to read all of this. If option 1 is chosen, I'll be one of the first to drop his FIRST character and continue his second and to jump into the ditches of the modlines to prepare for the first wave trying to overwhelm us. If option 2 is chosen, I'm gone. As said before, Taz won't be Taz anymore. I'll pick out those people I really really want to keep talking to and continue to be their friends, but will lose many contacts that are not my regular contacts or hold that dear place in my heart. When option 3 is chosen, I will be there to help someone out to start a new game (Brytan?).

Tazlure has found me love, and made me lose it again. It has provided me with mental support while in the airforce or when having a hard time. It has brought me friends, both online as in real life... <explicit>, Tazlure has landed me a great job due to which Maeve and a few of the original players will stay in my life.

I want to see it continue, but save for going free form in any which way, the GDs will have my complete support whatever their decision.
Last edited by Thrandil on Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mithril Dragon Awards:

NOMINATION:
Most Heroic PC - 2008
Chrisaliel Mithroldyn
Civus

Post by Chrisaliel Mithroldyn »

Warning: heart-felt ramble to follow...

I have played here, been staff, felt very much part of the family, left, and returned to be just as welcome. I began during the transition from ezboards. Yep, that long ago. This is a remarkable and entirely unique community. The people here, as well as the rpg, have seen me through the worst months of my illness. I don't know that I'd have managed not to loose hope of recovery without Taz.

There are people here that I have come to love dearly, and who I hope I shall always have in my life in some way or another. There are those I have loved, but who have moved on, and I wish them well. Friends are too dear and must be cherished. That won't change.

The challenge facing Taz, I think, has been brought on by its success. It has grown from a small, manageable size to something far greater, and far more difficult to manage. Because RL must always come first, Taz cannot but have a person-power shortage. It is the bane of any volunteer organisation. And a game no longer serves its purpose when it becomes work, especially unpaid work. Maeve and her staff over the years, have done something utterly amazing here, and that it has lasted this long is a testament to a fabulous concept, superlative organisation, stunning imaginations, excellent writers (staff and players), and dear friendships.

I don't want to see Taz close, but I understand why it may have to be. Perhaps it shall rise from the ashes one day in that previous much smaller, far more manageable scale. I would be more than delighted to be a part of that.

I just want to take this opportunity to say that many of you are very dear to me, and that won't change if Taz closes.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Post by Ashtallion Urdil »

I have no shame in admitting that upon reading Maeve's initial post last night, I was literally left welling up with tears at the prospect of Tazlure closing completely. Whilst still only an option, the thought of not having this site to write on leaves a certain void in my soul....for that is what Tazlure has given me over the years.....it has given me soul. It has helped my talent, regardless of the amount of talent I possess, be it little or large. Yes, their have certainly been times when I myself have 'dropped off the radar', but I have always come back to this wonderful world.

Ernest Hemingway said, 'When writing a novel, a writer should create living people; people, not characters...' it is the latter of this that I believe is a truth of this site. That is what we have accomplished here. This is not just a 'site'. This is a world. One that has fed our imaginations and like wise, in turn, we have fed it with our words, words that stemmed from our hearts and souls and minds.

To consider closing this site, in my opinion, would be akin to killing a part of someones soul, the essence of their creativity. I can however fully appreciate the reasons behind needing to consider such a bold measure. I do not pretend to know the depths to which Maeve, Meri and the other GDs have supported and ran this world, along with the brilliantly skilled Moderators and Supporters. The work and raw creativity that has went into Tazlure to mold it into a work of sheer magnificance yet astounds me.

I can feel it within me that I still have so much potential that I can learn from writing on Tazlure, and for extremely selfish reasons I do not want it to close. Downsizing would be my prefered path, as making the site Freeform would lose a certain quality that makes Tazlure the world it is today.

If the decision to close the site is taken, I want to express my eternal gratitude and love to everyone that has ever stepped foot upon Tazlure's shores, sailed it's seas and soared through it's skies, for adding to the beauty of a World that has helped me to grow and mature in my Craft.

Love and prayers,

Martin
Last edited by Ashtallion Urdil on Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gotham Devoue
Civus

Post by Gotham Devoue »

Wow. I have missed a little bit, since I haven't read my email. Umm... pretty much anything and everything has been said but here's my two cents.

One of the big reasons I enjoy playing here so much is that the game isn't freeform. That's why we all play Tazlure. If we didn't appreciate and value the rules and regulations, we wouldn't be here.

I'm split on the idea of condensing the game. On one hand I love being able to pack up my bags and squirrel and move to where I please. However, on the other hand, isn't that how Taz started? One area? A handful of people?

My suggestion is that we condense down to an area (or two) or close the game on a temporary notion. Close the game down for six months, even a year (365 days is a lot less than you think), and see where everyone stands.
"Protect life... until death."
--Leeloo, The Fifth Element.

Avatar by Ashari with stock photo of [url=http://www.myspace.com/jamesson]Jamesson[/url].
Matiel Escariot
Civus
Location: In a place surrounded by farms I my family does not own.

Post by Matiel Escariot »

I know it may be too late but I just thought of this now and maybe it might be a good idea for any future attempts of something like this at its current scale now.

Instead of area oriented moderation, why not campaign oriented moderation? By that, I mean the mod don't moderate areas, they moderate stories. And when it comes to dev work, the mods just group together and share background material and use it in more games.
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

Doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. Perhaps it'll work in future endeavors. While we're on the subject, out of curiosity, do you have any ideas for a game? I'm no good at setting things up and hammering out game mechanics. I can write, but that's about the only skill I have, so I won't be whipping anything up myself. :P

It's been fun playing with you, by the way. It looked like Matiel and Anistis were on the brink of some really interesting character development.
Hex da`Bergliin
Warrior Priest

Post by Hex da`Bergliin »

Hi,

So I have been here a long time and have worked through most of the mods and a chunk of the locations. I have had to move on when my location closed 3 times. In truth, yes it sucks not to finish something but good characters will add that to their makeup/ history and move on.

Downsizing seems to be the viable choice. Some form of sync would need to be required and time should be taken to give logical reasons for time/space moves.

All this will be for naught if the real problem of mods to players ratio/ needs are not addressed. People also need to be on the same page when it come to realistic posting rates.

I would also be willing to discuss senior player take over of threads/ locations but I think strict overview would be needed. I can exspand on this if people wish.

Hex.
~
[i]The [b]Kona[/b] is dead, long live the [b]Witches[/b][/i]
Elsor
Civus

Post by Elsor »

Well, Here's my opinion, although it's not likely anyone will like it.

I've found that the best RP forums I've been a part of, are the ones where creativity is greatly encouraged.

I think that the best idea is this structure - and yes structure is a key part of all writing, creative or no;

1: Use Tazlure as a setting. Sure, Tazlure can't step up and do everything for the web public but it can provide the unique atmosphere that only Tazlure can give.

2: Sure, you do need more players and people keep leaving after they join, leaving very few who stick to the plot. I think that you need to stop making major storylines and just let what happens happen. If there is a large event, such as perhaps a war between the Citadel and Roque De Ancourt, invite the players to join and give their storylines a little nudge in that direction.

3: Instead of one mod per forum category, make a mod per storyline. That way they don't get confused, are aware of what's going on and can pay more attention to building up the characters. The mod has to be part of that storyline and volunteer for it, therefore showing interest into the plot.

4: Give people time. Advertise in other fantasy forums and let them advertise here. It's school season in some parts of the world and there will be people heading back. There will still be people stumbling across tazlure so don't stop a good thing once it's gone for so long.

Keep it going, but I think you need to update the quality of the forum, not the quantity. The type of forum you were catering for late last year was for close to seventy players. I don't think you have that much and so downsize it to key playing spots plus a 'travelling' forum...and you'll be set to go.

Good luck and all the best!!
Thanks to allavatars.com for my avatar!
Meridiuz
The Webmaster & Game Designer

Post by Meridiuz »

I would like to thank everybody for their input in this thread. It really means a lot to see that everyone is so involved with the game, even those who had just joined us or who had been away for a while.

Unfortunately, the decision to close down the game has already been made and thus further discussion about options is not necessary anymore. Therefore I am locking this thread. Please post your thoughts in the Announcement thread of the closure of Tazlure.

Once again, thank you all for your input.
[i]Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger[/i] ~ Daft Punk

Return to “Banter”