The Tazlure Crisis

Eyrekra da' Waelkyrige
Civus

Post by Eyrekra da' Waelkyrige »

Greeting to all...

It sadden me to think that all the great dreams and schemes of Tazlure will come to an end. I, like a lot of other people, have stepped up to try to fill the gap that are left in some of plot lines. I believe that downscaling will only work if we can find Senior Players to become Supporters, Supporters to be come Mods, Mods to become GDs. If I missed any steps please forgive me.This process should be done with great care. As Sebastian stated it was not for him. Yet I know that there are others out there waiting to apply their abilities. I thank all the staff that came before. They are the foundation that Tazlure now stand on. I like to thank all the staff that are now working to keep this Great Game going. To the GDs Maeve, and Syra I thank you for standing the long vigil. I know how hard it is to give up on a dream come true. I vote for downscaling first, and if not then closer. Anything else would just be a pale shadow of a great dream.

All great stories have a beginning, a middle, and an end.
Last edited by Eyrekra da' Waelkyrige on Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
[quote][size=117]Cold is the heart... Clear is the mind... Steady is the "Hand" of the Ice Queen.[/size][/quote]

Avatar provided by allavatars.com artist Flingling.
Shea Artrien
Civus

Post by Shea Artrien »

Tazlure has become something that's dear to me, and I would sincerely hate to lose it. This community is fun and quite endearing. It'd be a shame to lose everything here.

That said, obviously something has to change. My personal preferences and thoughts would go something like this:

1. Simply downsize the world. Whether by continental catastrophe or magical wonderful goodness, give the characters some reason to pool together...and basically keep the current mod set up. Perhaps see what can be tweaked to allow the Mods a bit more breathing room, but generally keep the very cool system we've got.

2. Tazlure - The Next Generation. Same as #1, but with the complete world reboot that Ssinith DIllil mentioned, but with a twist. What if you simply JUMPED a generation? It worked with StarTrek...why not here? If things are as dire as we all know they are, why not just Start Over? Yes, we'd all lose the characters we currently have (and admittedly I would be losing far less than most), but just imagine the storylines that could be written about the family lines of these heroes and rogues?

3. Freeform Tazlure. I'd stay for this and give it a go, but I'd be wary of things growing ever-slowly but ever-surely out of check. I happen to LIKE playing in a world where all the characters are governed by the same rules.

4. Start over at a different site. No. Honestly, I don't know that you could catch the same magick in the bottle. Might I try it? Possibly, but so much would be lost, players most of all.

5. Just stop Tazlure, period. This one just makes my stomach hurt. Tazlure IS something special. Seriously. Just try finding another site with anything like it ANYWHERE. You won't find anything comparable. Believe me, I've looked. That's how I found my way HERE in the first place. Go ahead, just try that Die Roller's 100 list that we vote on to keep Tazlure near the top? Check as many of the sites out on the list as you want...I've been to most of them. Not one can stand up to Tazlure in quality, setting, depth, feeling, or the just plain coolness of people that post on the boards.

Please, whatever you do, folks, DON'T let Tazlure just die. It'd be more than a shame...it'd be a tragedy.

~Shea

P.S. Just for the record, if I can be of any help either Modding or assisting a Mod in some way, just say so, and I'd be more than happy to pitch in.
Last edited by Shea Artrien on Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
[i]"Just because something you said makes a man at the bar want to use his sword to kill you...well, that doesn't mean that what you said wasn't funny."[/i] ~ Shea

[size=75]Avatar courtesy of nwvault.ign.com[/size]
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

Thank you all for the kind words *hugs*

I want to draw attention to the fact that just because Syra and I got mentioned a lot we are not by far the only GD's. In fact Meridiuz is the one who for the past year has carried the heaviest burden, one that has not been designed for one person only. There are other GD's who have since gone to a retired status that are still most heavily missed, both from the original table top game as its various online variations. I don't need to name you all, you know who you are. However being a GD right now is a lonely place, one where the loss of friends is keenly felt.

A decision has not been reached yet. I made the personal decision to have this debate open and clear with the entire community so that later we can look back upon it and feel that we have settled things in a Tazlurian manner: honest, open and fair.

For myself, I want to make sure that what for me is the core of Tazlure and its gamesystem can survive any measures. Remember that for me Tazlure is a very personal project, full of personal references. More importantly I once created my own game because trends in other games left a bad taste in my mouth, or those games ceased to be.

If it cannot remain Tazlure at its core, then is taking this lovely community, or what is left of it after this shift, and creating another game with different leadership not the better and more honest option for all concerned?
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Shea Artrien
Civus

Post by Shea Artrien »

What, then, do You consider the Core of Tazlure?

I'm asking this only for clarity so we all are on the same page here, since everyone could have their own ideas about what is essential Tazlure.
[i]"Just because something you said makes a man at the bar want to use his sword to kill you...well, that doesn't mean that what you said wasn't funny."[/i] ~ Shea

[size=75]Avatar courtesy of nwvault.ign.com[/size]
Fialessa Valenstri
Panling Priestess

Post by Fialessa Valenstri »

Woah scary ... I got a mail and thought I'd pop in while I could. I did a bit of a disappearing act (dead hard drive, now a dead motherboard). Despite my severe lack of involvement it makes me sad to read the possibility of no Taz. I really do miss you guys.

I think - if you'll permit me to say - that a total free form would be a bad way to go. Granted the skilling is really not that necessary and could go by the wayside (look for other ways to cut back on things that really have no real influence on play) - if you want even less moderator involvement then you gotta have something - some reason for the players to play together (for my part I was always trying to find a way to connect with other players and falling painfully short - took some doing but I figured out my issues). But you got to have edges - rules and boundaries that make people feel secure that no one is special-er than anyone else and there's no way to cheat - free forms are too full of that.

Closing up the world a little may help - players seem to grav towards a few areas mainly anyway. It doesn't mean those places no longer exist just that their stories are no longer being told right now.

Another thing to look at is who is playing right now and what are their playing styles - is there a greater number of people who seem to be fine out their on their own with no nets, ropes or lines to tread on? Take who you have and instead of trying so hard to stretch yourselves so thin with so many extra characters and modding on top of that - focus on who you really want to be as a character and start looking on how the world can accommodate those beings. Look at the pile of people you have and say definitively what parts of the world need to be open for them. Look at what you have and work the game out for them - new players (and old players that return) will come and fit into the new scope.

There have been some really really great stories in Taz - and some truly fun moments. All that's needed is a way to bring that all together and to pour into something that really resonates with all the players of Taz, however small the number. I know its hard to run a game that is meant to be peopled with a large number and just isn't. So many of you are such amazingly talented writers and a lot of you have a lot in the way of ambition and tenacity - it can be done. =)

- miss you guys really.
[i][color=black][size=84]There is a fine line between coincidence and fate...

[url=http://hito76.deviantart.com/]Avatar is 'Karelle' from the drawing Intimite by Hito, used with permission.[/url][/size][/color][/i]
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

That is all in the wiki of course. I refer to the Rules of Realism and of course The Tazure Game System. We also have data on our Game's Origins.

It is also, and this is undefinable, a sense of atmosphere.

Making further statements about what I want to see in a solution would limit the debate and push it into a direction that may in the end not prove to be a sustainable long term solution. Instead I encourage everybody to give their two cents. Thank you to everybody who has contributed so far :)
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

I am not a fan on any of the three options, but I do have a rather set opinion about one. Free-form just does not cut it. Sure it will let Tazlure live, but it will not be Tazlure. Simple as that.

Now, let us start with option number 3. It is simple, quick and relatively painless in the long run. Sure, it will cause a mess initially, but people will get used to it. The best part about it? It need not be final. In time, be it a week, a month or a year, Tazlrue could be back. Starting fresh and building from a bit more than a scratch. And in a way that would solve a part of the problems we face now. We have tried patching things up, when we may have needed a big overhaul. There is only so much that you can do while something you are fixing is still running. And we have tried to fix things while still keeping things running as best as possible.

Now you are probably asking how it came to this, and I too wonder that same thing. And for all my effort I do not have the answer. So, I will ignore the reasons and focus on what can be done.

Which brings me to option 1. Tazlure will still be around. Yaaaaaaay. Well, it is not that simple. There is going to be a big shift, and this time it needs to be sudden. Half-measures and gradual changes will just not cut it. At least I feel that way. There needs to be a cut and a new beginning with a smaller world. People will need to come up with reasons why they made a move. Maybe a new supersync, but on a shorter scale. Couple of days or weeks. But, that is only after we decide how much we will downscale. Will it be one area with all the players, or maybe two? I heard whispers that people would prefer two, but again we need to choose. I personally lean towards this and I would prefer it if there was one rural and one urban area, as opposed to say two urban places. KC and Citadel seem like an obvious choice, but then we will have two urban area with similar themes. Kind of boring and limiting to players. Yet, it might be just the thing we need. It will enable the mods to cooperate better. We will not need such great diversity of mods and so, training them will be easier.

Now, reading through posts here, I am not as opposed to option 2 as I was before, but I still have my reservations and I would rather close the game then reach for free-form. Because it will not be Tazlure anymore. But, I could be convinced.

Still, I think 3 is not such a bad thing. Since some day you might end up opening your e-mail only to find “Tazlure Grand Re-opening” invitation there. Don’t sound so bad now, does it?
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Meridiuz
The Webmaster & Game Designer

Post by Meridiuz »

Ok. This post is very personal and I write this straight from my heart. I am also one of the ones that has been here practically since the beginning. And it has been a great run. We have seen Tazlure grow out to be an amazing game and it has been an amazing journey. One that I am proud to be a part of.

But for the past 2 to 3 years we have been swimming against the current. Trying to turn the tide. But we continue to fail. We are down to only a couple of mods. Mods for whom I have a lot of respect. Mods like Haikan, Ashari, Brytan, Danny and Ulder who put in so much energy to keep the game running. Also the supporters that have been joining in the last couple of months have been helping out. And still there are many more that are trying to keep the game up.

The thing is, if I look at the options, I see option 1 as yet another patch. Every patch takes a large amount of energy to do and it is only after that when you discover if it was actually worth it. I personally don't think I have the energy for another one of those patches.

Then there is the option of pushing the reset button on Taz. Which is even more work, plus, I believe that if we are going that way, it would be better to start a whole new game. Not to be bound by any aspect of Tazlure.

The option of freeform or half-freeform personally makes me cringe. I agree with Grey Wolf on this one. It simply isn't Taz. Once again, a new freeform game could be created. But it is not Taz.

Then option number 3. Closing down Taz. I will be honest. It would feel as a relief. Knowing that it would finally be done. Every beginning has an end they say. And with every end, there is a new beginning. And that is something that I do believe. I don't think the community would go away when the game stops. There will be other games and we as players, mods and GD's, everyone who has every come in contact with Taz shares this special bond. We will always be each other's friends. And indeed, in time, there will be people who feel the need to start new games. Over the course of Taz new games have been started already. Maybe we can all enjoy those games with a fresh new spirit.
[i]Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger[/i] ~ Daft Punk
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Gwayne of Vendeling »

I think option 3 is the easy way out though. But it is the simplest to do.

shutdown -h now

But I think that at least I would never return. Not that I don't want to, but because I would move on. I am not going to wait for something that "maybe" returns. And if it returns it would not be the same again.

So if its option 3, then leave it dead. Then start something new, what has nothing to do with Tazlure. Even when it would be created on the same server ;)

Reuse the code, not the storyline.

If its one of the other options. Well maybe we should for now go back to only two area's and have a disaster that leaves the atmosphere there but destroys most of civilsation.. let the players be the last survivors and rebuild Taz from the ground up.

For those who want to do something like freeform.. well the roost has always been there. Still only a few used it regularly so I dont think thats the way to go.

Still I have the feeling that those who created Tazlure in the first place.. now are old and tired. So it all ends, what is natural, and doesnt make it less impressive.

At least Taz won't fade away...
Last edited by Gwayne of Vendeling on Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Goddess is at my side, until she decides to leave me...

Posting on possible days Avatar from our lady Finley.. a mistress of capturing dreams and nightmares in word and pictures.
http://pixieface.deviantart.com/
Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Brytan »

I...

There are no words to describe how painful it would be for me were Tazlure to close. For years I've played tabletop, but after moving to The Hague the only regular source of RPG income for me has been Tazlure. I have played this game for years with a great deal of enjoyment, and moderated it for years with the same.

Selfishly speaking, the only option I could go for is the dramatic downscaling. I am not interested in finding another site to play at, or to go free form, since I've already seen a number of systems and don't like what they have to offer. Tazlure is unique and the system works great. It started with something small (just the WK). We could go back/forward to something similar.

On a side note; I have not read the whole thread thoroughly due to me being in shock because of the possible repercussions. But I can't fail to notice that Maeve on a few occasions mentioned new leadership being an option. I say that would only be an issue if the GDs feel they need a break. Because personally I think you guys have been doing a great job and don't feel you need to be replaced at all.

A thought for the dramatic downscale, which is rather harsh, aside from the limiting in area to get more players together, would be to ask all players to only bring one character. That way the load is cut in half. I'm not saying kill off all the second characters, but leave them out of the rebuild for at least the start of it. Or just create an entirely new setting with new characters (cries at the thought of losing Callara).

As for the catastrophy; That would need some thought. I reckon though that the best way to start over would be to wipe clean all the areas and send everyone to a new one/a few new ones. Maybe some kind of temporal shift where only some people get sent far into the future (or perhaps the past), where a lot of the world is uninhabitable or gone and a new kingdom lies amidst the ruins? Maybe give the game another name, but keep the core the same (skills/rules). Like Gwayne stated; a sinking ship is best left sunk. Even though it would pain me greatly to start over, I would if it meant keeping the community and the system intact.

In the end, you are thinking of the game in terms of resources and customers. When businesses start running a loss because they spend more on resources than they make as income, they either downsize, merge or close. We should not forget that Tazlure is not a business. There will always be some people willing to play, despite it's numbers. If you have one mod and one player, you can play Taz. The question is; what are we (or you as GDs) hoping to get out of Tazlure that isn't happening now, and why is that? And...more importantly...to what lengths should we go to maintain it?

If the question becomes about the why rather than the what, descisions can be more accurately made. If Taz is being dropped by mods and players because it is boring, then perhaps a new game and setting should be crafted that is new and fresh. If it is about something else entirely, then I find myself at a loss for answers too.

Either way, I will gladly help in restructuring any way this turns out. I think we have a great community and no matter what happens, we can resolve this one way or the other. If push comes to shove and Taz does close down...I might just start something new myself. I have been toying with a few ideas which haven't made it to paper yet due to time constraints.

You have my sword...
Last edited by Brytan on Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:41 am, edited 8 times in total.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]
Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Ashari »

I'm of two minds when it comes to this discussion, and I'll state them bluntly.

Continuing to Run until the End I can continue with the same enthusiasm for King's Court as I've been able to have all along. My feelings for the location haven't changed. I have wonderful content and players that I'm excited about bringing together. In that way, I could happily plug along posting for my players and having a great time with KC.

Sadly, that isn't really an option. There needs to be change, and I don't think I can do it again. The restructurings are beginning to look more and more like work. They feel more and more like work. I don't want to watch Tazlure slowly (and bitterly) suffocate under its own weight. I could take on more players from other locations in WK (or abroad) and also bring in a few mods from closed locations, but that, too, is work, and much like Meri I worry about the "patch' mentality that has developed in Tazlure over the past few years. We're always grasping at the edges, trying to bring it all in when there's a loss (in the form of an important PC or, worse, a mod). I'm tired of it. I don't have the requisite energy for another big spurt to bring new mods in on my plots, nor the training involved with new mods to keep this thing sustained.

Closing down the Site Just the idea of it hurts. In that way, I agree with Brytan. I've put a lot of myself into this game, both in my characters and in my moderation. Through Tazlure I've gained friends, and met the man that I'm in love with. It's made me more worldly than any girl from New Hampshire has any right to be by way of the people I've been honored to meet. We have in Tazlure a vast resource, one I wouldn't be able to stand losing.

It seems that sentiment is shared by many - it's the community we fear losing above all else, but that community is driven by the stories we tell together. That is what binds us. Without Tazlure running as an RPG there isn't a community, except for one that says: Remember when?

In any event, I've come to my decision, the one that works for me. The Book of Tazlure is closed for me. That's not to say I might not open it again someday, if that is an option, but for now I'm going to have to move onto something else. In my heart I don't see any of the "options" for keeping it open working for the Tazlure I've been a part of. If I'm going to invest this sort of time and commitment into something I'd much prefer it to be something of my own construct.

What I suggest is maintaining the site as read-only so that we can visit the stories we loved for as long as possible.

I have to say thank you to Maeve for having made all this possible from the beginning and for letting a hormonal 16 year old like me in. This game has fostered my creativity for seven years now. I've yet to find another thing which has so easily consumed so much of my time. There are so many friends that I will speak to about this decision, I'm sure, but it is what it is. ::hugs::
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Viviana Kaleyis
Mod Trainee

Post by Viviana Kaleyis »

I suppose that those who have been here a long time and remember Tazlure's glory days might see downsizing as a bad thing. Yet it doesn't have to be. Moving to one or two locations would bring the players closer together and encourage more interaction between them. I think you would discover that less modding would be needed with more player/player interaction. A smaller playing area would also bring new challenges, such as larger and more detailed plotlines, with both mods and players working together to tell a beautiful and well-crafted story. One of my invitation-only games had less than ten players, and it was one of the best I've ever played. Going smaller can actually be better than going bigger. I had more fun in the above-mentioned game than I had in the one with over 200 players. The “paperwork” of the larger game was immense and therefore decreased my own enjoyment. I see unlimited good possibilities in downsizing.

If you need a new GD or just someone who knows their way around game organization and implementation, I volunteer. I have found that I have more time for this than I first thought I would and have thought of asking for more responsibility. And having created and GMed online games since 1996, I believe I also have the experience. I am willing to help any way I can.

Ultimately, the decision is up to Maeve, though. I, too, have had to make the wrenching decision to close a game. It is not something you take lightly, and it hurts. Badly.

If Tazlure does close, I am in favor of a new game, as Brytan already mentioned.

So anyway, just my two euro-cents.

Kittee
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Gwayne of Vendeling »

Just a statement.. as discussed Tazlure without Maeve is no Tazlure so if she stops it will lose its soul.

So if she stops, tazlure stops. And then one questions remains..

What characters escape from tazlure after the world destroying disaster and to where....

And at a practical level how do we organise that. ;)
The Goddess is at my side, until she decides to leave me...

Posting on possible days Avatar from our lady Finley.. a mistress of capturing dreams and nightmares in word and pictures.
http://pixieface.deviantart.com/
Azure Stonehand
Civus

Post by Azure Stonehand »

Looser moderation, not no moderation, is key otherwise stories stagnate.

I would love to be a contributor, but I feel I have not played the game long enough to enter the ranks of moderator.

I am not sure of a solution, but I do not want Tazlure to close.
Azure Stonehand
AKA Meisha
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

As said; if it really comes to that, I will be starting/joining something new if Taz closes. Preferably with other Tazzies. But... I really hope that won't happen, though it might be inescapable .

I would much rather see the phoenix rise from the ashes then hatch a freshly laid egg. Just know that I am not one to easily let go of something good, and I'd rather have Tazlure live on in another form, than lose it all together.
Last edited by Brytan on Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

Post by Aerin Penna Seleratus »

The poison is already in the bloodstream, let's kill it already.

I have noticed in the past 24 hours since this thread was started that the answer is the same in one form or another, no matter what option is picked.

If we downsize, we lose great characters and plotlines, we lose half of the buffet. We run the risk of Robert Frost-esqe regret when we ponder what would have happened had we picked the other character/path. Mostly though, we will lose players who LOVED the closed location(s) and do not care to stay around in what is left. Once our friends start to leave, the joy for those left behind leaves, and the downsized game will begin to die anew.

Same thing with freeform - there are others who would rather take up playing Freecell professionally than allowing Taz to go freeform. If we go this route then, just as above, we lose good players and the new version begins to die anew in their wake.

Even now, with this dark cloud hanging over us, I can feel the voices growing silent, their last utterances being "Why bother to be inspired? It is done." The poison is in the bloodstream - time to kill it already. Even if the GDs posted "Just kidding!", the damage is done.

I agree with Ashari and thank everyone who has played or is playing - it has been fun, but it is done. Time to type some closure posts and stop dragging this pain out.
”The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” – Nietzsche

Avatar by Draconis (Found and resized by Paige)
http://drakonis.org
Gaelena

Post by Gaelena »

You know, I can't help but feel a bit shocked as I read through here. Especially when I read things that boil down to 'shut it down so that we can start something else.' That's like saying to a parent, "You know, we really like what you've raised here. Wonderful child, smart, capable. But because the child is now really big, we're going to take them from you and turn him into what we want it to be. Thanks for the blood, sweat and tears. We'll take it from here."

Just because something is hard, that doesn't mean you throw it away. That's like getting a divorce just because your spouse develops a debilitating condition. If you really loved them, you'd stand by them, help them through the hard part, not dump them off at the nearest rest home and get yourself a 21 year old bimbo. Any one who does that deserves to have the bimbo run off with the pool boy and their life savings.
[i]Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.[/i]
George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

[size=75]Avatar by Lena[/size]
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

That is not what is being said though. What is being said is that Tazlure is unique. And we do not want it to disappear. The inevitable result of something stopping though, is that something else takes it's place.

No one has made any decisions yet. Nor is this the place to debate what thoughts or choices are right and wrong. We were asked for our opinions and they are being given freely.

As I read it, no one wants to let Tazlure go. No one wants to go elsewhere to have what we have here, because that is just not possible. And hopefully that won't be needed. But it is ultimately a call to be made by Maeve and the other GDs. I would ask not to presume lightly that we are ready to move on Gaelena. There is more pain behind the "let's call it quits" than you might see. I find it very brave that Aerin and Ash speak out as they do. I am far less brave in that respect.

I love Tazlure, as do we all. But the hard discussions have to be had some time...

Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

There have been enough posts in this thread that I probably won't be able to say anything that hasn't been said in some form, but I feel it necessary to say it anyway.

For starters, I've not even been playing for a year here, but my experience has been thoroughly positive. I realize that this is likely owed in large part to the fact that I play in one of the more active areas (King's Court), but I don't think that's the extent of it. My experience here has included not only the amazingly kick-ass mod known as Ashari (I'll be sad to see you go; you've been great!), but interactions with some great PCs (Tyrone, Haikan, Mikail, Matiel, Azure, etc.), as well as reading threads that have nothing to do with me and are addictive and captivating on their own merits, apart from gameplay itself. Furthermore, I've had a wonderful time simply conversing with other players in chat- forging what I like to think, anyway, are good, solid friendships.

What this means for me, most importantly, is that I plan to stick with Tazlure, no matter what form it takes in the future. I'm having fun, and that fun has been unflagging for me, but I want everyone else to be having fun as well. I'm willing to make whatever sacrafices are necessary- and I realize that probably a big part of my energy comes from still being new, as well. Those that decide to leave, while they will be missed, have made an understandable choice, I think; I merely hope that you won't be strangers.

I think a lot of good suggestions have been made that err on the side of the conservative. I realize that some big changes are going to be necessary, but I think that most of us would like to see the option prevail which preserves the most of what Tazlure is, particularly as a setting, as is possible.

Not having any kind of administrative experience, I don't know which option is best, but, as I said, good ideas have been presented. I understand that this sort of thing takes a lot out of people, and there are a number who understandably don't have the energy to engineer another massive change. As a part of the solution, perhaps, I am willing to take on some responsiblities; I was planning on joining the mod seminar before I became aware of this situation, and I'm just as willing to do it now, if not moreso, should such measures be helpful.

I'd like to see Tazlure survive, and if I can help expediate that process at all, let me know the best way for me to do so. If however, the site has to close, then I hope that this community will continue to exist, as has been suggested before- starting new projects and thriving in new and exciting ways.

In short, whatever happens, count me in.

-Dan
Meridiuz
The Webmaster & Game Designer

Post by Meridiuz »

Gaelena wrote:Just because something is hard, that doesn't mean you throw it away. That's like getting a divorce just because your spouse develops a debilitating condition. If you really loved them, you'd stand by them, help them through the hard part, not dump them off at the nearest rest home and get yourself a 21 year old bimbo. Any one who does that deserves to have the bimbo run off with the pool boy and their life savings.

I can't help but to reply to this. Don't think we are suggesting to call it quits because that is the easy way out. Don't think we are dumping our baby at the nearest trashcan. A lot of people have put in a lot of blood, sweat and tears in the last 2,5 years to keep tazlure afloat and the decision that maybe it is time to let the game go is a very hard one. But if you see that there there just isn't the support anymore to keep the game running and that there just isn't any energy left in people anymore, then maybe it is time to pull the plug.
[i]Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger[/i] ~ Daft Punk
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

Well, we all know that Taz is running on life support and the doctors around the area are trying to figure out the best options.

1) Remove an organ in hopes that it can live off of one kidney.

2) Switch the medication in hopes it will come out of the coma.

3) Give up on the patient totally.

... and my suggestion;

4) Give it an organ transplant

5) Sign the waivers of letting it be an organ donor and transplant the parts into a new body.
"If all things are energy and a wizard is a master of manipulating it, then as a politician am I studying the greatest sorcery of all."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Most Heroic Male PC (2008)
Most Religious PC (2008/2006)
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

I'd like to express my opinions on a couple things, now that some others have had a chance to weigh in.

First off, with the big reset idea where we jump to the future and restart everything: I think that will be the same as another supersync, only on a grander scale. And personally, if I were to lose my primary character, which I've worked for five years to build, and only in the last year have started to make real progress with, it would completely and totally take away any motivation I had for playing. If something like that were to take place, I'd be gone.

Secondly, if Tazlure were to close down - even were the community to remain intact and perhaps a new game arise in its place - again, most likely, I would be gone. It all goes back to the five years, going on six, that I've put into my character, into building her story. Even in video games - which I'm not comparing Taz to at all - starting over from zero after putting a lot of effort into something has been incredibly hard for me, and not very satisfying. If Taz were to close, I'd be devastated. It was my first RPG, and it's been my online "home" for going on six years. I understand if Maeve and the GDs decide to close it and move on, as it's their decision, but I'd be left with a pretty massive hole in my heart. Yeah, yeah, it's just a game and I'm being oversentimental or whatever, but there it is. When you spend as much time as I have stuck on a boat out at sea with only Taz to keep you from going insane, you start to really appreciate it.

Now, for my ideas, which I know have largely been expressed by others already. But I have to say them

What if we took some of the less key areas and converted them to a largely free form environment with only very basic oversight by mods. They could just look over posts to make sure no one's god-modding, and occassionally post for those threads that are in some way involved in larger plots. This would lighten their load, and yet not let Taz become entirely freeform. And of course, key areas and major plots would still be modded. This way, mods wouldn't have to post *every other post* like they do in many threads.

Secondly, what if we temporarily closed Taz to new players, to keep the work load from increasing? This would give people like me - who are soon hoping to get into modding - time to catch up and get our credentials so to speak, and then when we *do* begin modding, it won't be to take on new work loads, it'll be to take some of the old work loads from the current mods and GDs, so that their work is less and they can hopefully spend more time enjoying it and less time doing "work" on it. The feeling that I am getting is that the GDs in general are feeling like Taz has become "homework" for them, rather than a game. I've been there before, and it was for the same reason, too much to do, not enough people to do the work.

Thirdly, we could trim down some of the miscellaneous locations that are sparsely populated, or aren't playing much of a role in whatever central plots there are. Yes, this would involve sacrifices for players, in that they'd have to move their characters, possibly even restart a plot, but it could be done. Trust me, I've had to do it for each of the Recesses, and yes it sucks, and yes I bitched a lot, but now I realize that it was for the better.

These may sound like patches, but I think they're a bit different in that, we're not just restarting stuff or jumping things ahead. We're buying time for reinforcements to reach the field. I'm hoping to mod, GR said he'd be willing to get back into it, and I'm sure we can find another few people that are willing to do *something* to spread the workload. Hell, I'll even spend time doing things like skilling and other background work that doesn't involve posting, because I dig that kind of stuff. And now that I'm about to have more free time, I can do it.

Again, I know this decision ultimately rests with Maeve and the GDs. But it also seems to me like some of our players are all too ready to have the game end and either leave it, or restart somewhere else. I just ask that before you think that option is the only one, remember that there are people who are trying to lend a helping hand, and who would feel very badly if the game were to end.

Thanks.
Cowgirls Exotica's "Queen of Hearts" - 2008
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

Hey, remember when this was a joke?

http://wiki.tazlure.nl/index.php/%C3%9Cber_Sync

Hi guys. I know I haven't been posting recently but I was intending to come back soon. Seeing the changes now... personally, I'd like to move on but with a gentler transition than "shut it down and start again." Something a bit like the WM closure where existing storylines were shut down before players moved to a new location, except do it aether-style with some moderated threads and some free-form, depending on player preference, to lighten the mod burden. Gives the RP junkies their fix and buys those of us who wish to continue a bit of time to start up "Tazlure: the Steam Age."

No solution's going to be perfect but this way we keep the community as intact as we can, and we don't completely lose the quality of the moderating system. We make the old game's complexity and continuity work for us by maintaining the setting but make it much more cohesive at the same time by opening up much fewer new areas (say 2 big cities with the possibility of isolated adventures to rural regions).

The big con is that we lose all the characters we've put our hearts and souls into but as others have suggested, there are ways around it. Descendants. NPCs. Time travellers. If players don't mind their characters aging, there's no reason why some from longer-lived races might not still be around in 150 years.

One last thing: I agree with Finley that there are structural issues with the game that led us to this point in the first place. It's a discussion for another post, however.
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Avatar by enayla at allavatars.com[/size]
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

Steam Age! WHOOO HOOO! I love it!
"If all things are energy and a wizard is a master of manipulating it, then as a politician am I studying the greatest sorcery of all."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Most Heroic Male PC (2008)
Most Religious PC (2008/2006)
Damon Ryot
Civus

Post by Damon Ryot »

I'm very new with Tazlure, but because I have thoroughly enjoyed my stay so far, I thought I'd say something before the jury adjourns. I'll obviously repeat what has been said before; I honestly did not read every reply on the thread, but anyway.

Now, even as I am new to Tazlure, I am not new to roleplaying altogether. And, I would like to address the agenda that has been drawn up here.

1. To Downsizing. A problem solved, though I believe only temporarily, like said before me. The smaller and smaller you make Tazlure, the less and less interesting it will become, from my opinion. Imagine if Earth was merely half its, people would be much closer to each other in regarding distance. That would mean things would be much more alike in regarding environment, people, customs etc. That would somewhat dispel some of the intrigue that comes from travelling to 'exotic' and 'far-away' places.

2. Freeform. Absolutely not. This I use in reference to the many forms of those I have been playing for God knows how long. It will ultimately crash, as god-moding and powerplaying will come into bigger play; and I must admit that I'm also guilty of those in the past. No, such roleplaying communities that do not moderate or somehow control events on their boards eventually crumble, from within like now.

3. Admit Defeat. Sincerely, I think this would mean that. You have to keep on fighting till the bitter end, no matter what. Only when no other solution can offer anything at all, do you press the self-destruct button.
Although, this is partly from my own want (selfishness) to go on playing in this wonderful world of Tazlure; I don't think you should consider closing down until the statistics show that no other option remains.

Now, to what I think of as possible options; either standing alone or in combination.

- You could consider the doomsday device that has been discussed here previously. Plague, magic war; something that would compel people to unite. But, even that would be short-lived, and nothing lasts forever. That evil sorcerer threatening to destroy the world, the ravaging plague, or otherwise will come to an end at a point. It could be back to square 1, ladies and gents. Maybe moving things ahead...say hundred years or more? It could create something new and interesting, and just as well it could destroy and tarnish something that was Tazlure. I like the idea. Just sad that my character is yet to make a name for himself, hah hah.

- I believe another is time. Some people just don't have the time to contribute; be it work, education, or just general life issues. But, that does not mean they don't want to be here. They simply don't have the time. This can cause people that prefer to post more often to get frustrated, and well...maybe leave? I think you should relieve moderators and other such of some of their duties; make the game lean more towards freeform, but not so much that it is consumed by the idea itself. More player-to-player interaction, without mod interference where it is applicable. Maybe players can manage themselves more, take off some responsible, to help moderators; some who are even battling with their own characters. I simply don't understand how does Haikan, the moderator around the Mer cities manage...

- I think the inventory thing should be scrapped; only possessions that bear some importance to the character or a particular storyline should be noted. The players can even do that themselves. Then skills...a very integral part of Tazlure, yes. I don't wish to go too deep, because I'm new and don't exactly have the full understanding of its relevance here. But, maybe their relevance as well could be...minimised somewhat. I don't know how to put it exactly, but maybe players could somehow address them along with a mod; instead of letting the mod himself/herself do all the work. After all, to me, writing bears more meaning overall. This is no WOW or Diablo.

- Changes in Tazlure's structure, just as Finley said. People who move on should move on; even when you fight, you can fight forever. It may be just a short rest, or lapsing sleep; you can come back when you want or are able to. Let those still interested take over, and continue what you have created and done; and I must truly commend the GDs (past and present) for what I have seen here. Yet, if you are no longer interested or feel yourself losing steam, let the next generation take on your responsibilities, carry it on, as your legacy, no?

These are a few of the things I assembled. Repeated, I believe, but I just had to have my own say here. From the bottom of my heart I want Tazlure to go on, and am willing to make sacrifices to do so, as long as this place continues. It could close down, but only for awhile, because otherwise I'd come pounding on the door. The decision rests with those who have authority, and not me, so in the end it waits to be seen.

I would also like to apologise for any inconveniences, offences, or anything other else I have caused in the above written. My apologies for my seeming ignorance, or otherwise. Especially any remarks seem to have been intended at a particular person. Also for any errors in my writing, didn’t check it over.
Time fades, even legend...

Return to “Banter”