GD Announcement: The Fate of Tazlure!

Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

GD Announcement: The Fate of Tazlure!

Post by Maeve »

Dear players,

You have all read about Tazlure's Crisis. To briefly recapitulate we have dealt with a problem of a declining staff, as well as apparent structural problems for over 2,5 years, causing a general feeling of inertia and players not being moderated when they want to be. Repeatedly we have called for help, for extra staff to come forward, for people to help out as supporters but though your input and energy has been overwhelming most of you could not keep it up for long. Measures we have taken did not live up to its expectations.

What is worse for our most senior community members, including the GD's and game owners, Tazlure was slowly loosing its glory, its sparkle. Seeing patch after patch, for the oldest community members Tazlure became an obligation rather than relaxation. We have tried our hardest. However in the end we believe it is only fair and honest to step forward now and say: we cannot continue Tazlure in a way that we think we owe it to everybody to run it. We will not connect our creative legacy to an ever declining game. There fore, with a heavy heart, the Game Designers of Tazlure, in full agreement with the owners, have decided to close Tazlure.

There will be no relaunch of the setting in an another time frame or as a free form. No relaunch at other sites either. Permission will not be given for such use. We apologize to people who would have dreamed other options, but Tazlure is a very personal world to me, filled with old friends, old jokes, memories. I don't want to see it outside our creative control. This refers to anything that can be defined as a Tazlurian particular in that context too.

Banter will continue to be available to the community to keep in touch, as will some other OOC forums. The game forums will be closed on Wednesday. The Aether will remain available for another week for those of you who would like to do their goodbye threads, their happily ever after threads and.. their Aether threads. All of the game forums, the archives and the wiki will be available read only.

If any of you want to run a game using the Tazlure Game System (but not its setting!) or any part there of, we ask only two things
  • That you ask permission
  • That you give Tazlure credit

This includes any use of our OOC material in the wiki. Most of us will remain available for advice should you seek it. We encourage people to discuss what new games they are pondering. We would love to learn where you are going. We would like to encourage Tazlure to become a community of new games.

Please note that under current TOS first rights clause, you are allowed to use anything that was your own, specifically your PC's, in any setting of your own choosing. You can't withdraw it from Tazlure's legacy though.

Countless people have contributed to Tazlure and put in time, energy and a lot of energy, for which we are eternally grateful, especially to the supporters, the moderators, the secret side line advisors. Your help has always been appreciated more than you can ever know. We could not have had so many glorious years without you. We hope that you look back upon our time together with a smile.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

There are too many things I could thank you for, Maeve. I think I've said most of it in chat already. But still - I want to add here. Thank you so much, for everything. *hugs*
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Post by Ashtallion Urdil »

I cannot begin to express by mere words how I feel.

Grief is the closest emotion I can ascribed the tears running down my face at present to. There will always be a part of me in this world, and of that, I am proud and am offered some small comfort. Also too will Tazlure be held cherished in my heart for the time it has given me.

Whether or not I will continue to be present around the Banter section, I will decide later. This is a great loss. To me, to every player, the Staff....and I feel most importantly, to Maeve. Thank you, Maeve for bringing Tazlure into my Life. God bless you, and those that helped bring this world into Creation.

Martin
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

A tip my of hat to all of you for the last seven years. Thank you for the memories and the lessons learned, the tearful scenes and sudden, milk-through-the-nose laughs. I can't wait to see what new frontiers ex-Tazzies will explore next!

*closes his big book and puts away his crayons for good!*
Maeve: It starts with ambition
Meridiuz: It ends with Grant
Adanedhel
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Adanedhel »

I must admit, I had seen it coming, yet kept up my hopes. Now, even though expected, it still brought tears to my eyes. For over 7 years Taz has been part of my life and has gotten me through a lot of hard periods as well as taught me a few things. I have gained friends whom I hold dearly and sure will not get out of touch with.

I want to thank Maeve and the GDs, the mods, the other staffers in whichever function and the players for one of the best periods of my life.

Those who know me in real life, we shall continue contact and to see each other. At least, I will do all I can to make that happen.

I hope everyone will be great in their own way. With another game, in real life, whichever is best for you.

There's so much to be said, but unlike usually, the right words just don't enter my mind.

Again, thanks for everything!
Something wicked your way comes...

Posting rate: 2/week

Special:
[b]OOECP[/b] - [i]Grant[/i]ed by Maeve & Sosa
Chrisaliel Mithroldyn
Civus

Post by Chrisaliel Mithroldyn »

I don't think I need to say it. You all know, especially Maeve. And Grant, that includes you too!
Elvin Motricé
Retired staff

Post by Elvin Motricé »

Perhaps later on I will find more eloquent words to express what I feel...

Tazlure has been a part of my life for a long time. I'm sad to see it close. I do not use the word go because the memories of all the challenges I found here will always be with me.

I know this is a decision that is difficult but often it is better to be responsible and take those decisions instead of letting the problem continue.

Everyone who has lived, breathed and spun this world, this magnificent story: thank you...

Game Designers, those gone and those still here, I can only imagine how difficult this must have been.

Let us not become strangers... Not on the internet and not in real life. Lets still meet up. It's our love for a story, for role-playing, for Tazlure and for each other that binds us together. For yes, in all the years I've been here, I've come to respect and love the people here. Some known to me in real life, some only by the medium of these boards.

Lets not become strangers!
Last edited by Elvin Motricé on Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"- and so's Mister Motricé." Becca smiled wryly. "He's probably going to go - he's not set anything on fire for a few months, so he's got to be going through withdrawal by now." ~ Becca Acerbi
Abbott
Mod Trainee

Post by Abbott »

Fair winds and following seas, Tazlure.
~AbboTT
Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Post by Vanadius »

"And they all lived happily ever after..."

Thank you Maeve. Thank you everyone.
Fialessa Valenstri
Panling Priestess

Post by Fialessa Valenstri »

As I said in the chat... Thank you Maeve for sharing your world with us.

That said - thank you to everyone I've met and played with and chatted with here at Tazlure. We are all better for having known each other - so many different people from all over the world with one shining commonality - a belief in fantasy and dreams.

We move along this digital world greater people who have shared something special in whatever small or big way. The people who were strangers are now friends, loved ones and family. Whatever we do, where ever we go it is my great hope that we all meet again.

Thank you all and you have my love such as it is.
[i][color=black][size=84]There is a fine line between coincidence and fate...

[url=http://hito76.deviantart.com/]Avatar is 'Karelle' from the drawing Intimite by Hito, used with permission.[/url][/size][/color][/i]
Thalia Maelstrom
Civus

Post by Thalia Maelstrom »

It's with a heavy heart that I say goodbye, and I havent even been here long. I can only imagine the grief of those that have been here for years.

I just want to say thank you, for the little time I did have here. It was an amazing opportunity for me and my first pbp rpg site. I was really looking foreward to making friendships with those that were new and veterns here but I can understand the need to move on. I have to say though, that if this is Tazlure declining, I can only imagine it in all it's glory and Im sorry I missed it.

I hope everyone on here, especially those that have poured so much of themselves into this site will still have the smiles, the jokes, and the good times that Tazlure provided, with many of the same people that they have become close to over the time here.

Thank you Tazlure, Thank you Maeve, Thank you Haiken (my mod) and all the others I didnt get to meet. Maybe I'll find you again sometime. Somewhere. You never know. I hope.
Our being is subject to all the chances of life. There are so many things we are capable of, that we could be or do. The possibilities are so great that we never, any of us, are more than one-fourth fulfilled.
-Katherine Anne Porter
Becca Acerbi
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Becca Acerbi »

I keep trying to think of something to say, but nothing's coming to mind. Tazlure was the place I cut my RPG teeth, back in the days when I was a ditzy fourteen-year-old newb, and I don't even have words to express how I feel seeing it go.

I just. Thank you everyone, I've loved reading and playing and talking here, and I hope it all goes well for everyone.

*hugs*
<Becca> I am all in favour of getting Elvin laid. I am not in favour of getting Becca blown to little squishy bits
<Sevti> That's a sig line if I ever heard one.
Avatar drawn by the amazing Finn!
Eyrekra da' Waelkyrige
Civus

Post by Eyrekra da' Waelkyrige »

Goodbye. Hugs and Kisses to all. A special thanks to Maeve, and the Mods group of the Triangle Islands for giving me a chance to grow as your Supporter.

Eyrekra da' Waelkyrige.
[quote][size=117]Cold is the heart... Clear is the mind... Steady is the "Hand" of the Ice Queen.[/size][/quote]

Avatar provided by allavatars.com artist Flingling.
Hastarl Ras'diath
Simaldi hand

Post by Hastarl Ras'diath »

So, it did after all come to this.

This saddens me a lot as I have spent many hours enjoying myself here. I owe Tazlure and my mods a great deal after these couple years and I owe them for opening up this world of roleplaying to me. I will plan to stay around in the Banter and hopefully I'll meet some of you in another game someday. A chapter has ended and another is about to begin.

Thanks for all.

~ Jonas
[i]"Abandon the Search for Truth... Settle for a Good Fantasy"[/i]

Quote [url=http://www.rpggateway.com]RPGGateway[/url]
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

Oh sweethearts, this saddens me so much.

I look at Tazlure and I remember.

I remember Eilish being the same person in real life as she was here as our NPC, blond and hopping and sometimes very wicked. I remember Anochrim, slowly growing a beer belly and never quite admitting to what we showed on the boards as being his queer side. I remember Manyana, a rotund bald man with a goatee and a ready laugh. I remember Silk, a blond rogue with a little twinkle in his blue eyes who never could take anything serious. I remember Sosa, the elf in her leather jacket and her harley davidson who will always be the rebel. I remember Ionis and Isis, siblings and one and the same player, enjoying the seductive side. I remember Darion, the low level paladin who thought it was wise to attack a dragon and reincarnated as a sword who in real life has sought and found adventure as well. I look at Duke Erwin von zu Dort Billigh, his wicked grin, his smooth tongue, and see the man I love every day of my life.

Closing Tazlure as a table top game was one of the most difficult things I had ever done. Yet the game moved on, with permission of the original players. We tried Pbem. We tried other variants. After play testing we arrived at what you've know for the last seven years: Tazlure.nl

So many people of the past have come and went, sometimes with drama. Chung. Kymberly. Bronwyn, David, Mac, LC. So many people I have met and are now my friends. Sue. Brian. Liz. Steve. Koen. Danny. Oscar. Miroslav. Sanneke. George. Suzan,. Nicolette. Will you believe that despite this at times Tazlure became almost a lonely place? Dragons pay a price for longevity.

It is well. We can look back upon Tazlure and be proud. We did not allow it to be a mere shadow. Stopping with over 80 players is fairly decent, I think.

*raises her glass* to all of you!
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Deianeira Saitheria
Civus

Post by Deianeira Saitheria »

I have to say, I enjoyed my time here... as short as it was. I do want to start something knew, but how does one go about getting the 'game system'? How can on go about developing a new land a new place for these players?

How can one replace Tazlure You' can't? But I want to develop something new... anyone want to help? My email is attached

spiritsongtress@gmail.com I am IMs as well if anyone wants to talk to me.
RP Prefs:Any thing goes Really, on Camera--ot doesn't matter.
Shea Artrien
Civus

Post by Shea Artrien »

Seriously, for a verbose as I am in real life...I barely have words. I'm sitting here at my computer, seriously choked up. Coming to these boards each day has been a highlight in a very difficult time in my life. I'll miss Tazlure horribly.

*Raises his glass in toast and stifles a tear* To Tazlure. May she live on and on in our hearts and dreams.

I'll still try to be around so long as the community boards are open, and am willing to find a way to continue storytelling with you fine folk, even if its not within these fine lands.
Last edited by Shea Artrien on Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[i]"Just because something you said makes a man at the bar want to use his sword to kill you...well, that doesn't mean that what you said wasn't funny."[/i] ~ Shea

[size=75]Avatar courtesy of nwvault.ign.com[/size]
Amber Kynterle
Adventurer

Post by Amber Kynterle »

Well, it seems after all, my worst fears have come to pass. Yesterday afternoon, when I was making my IC posts, I had every reason to believe that Tazlure would be a part of my life for years to come. Then, yesterday, when I found the discussion, I knew hard times were ahead, but I seriously thought we could find a way through them. And now, barely two days later, it's all over. Not even a chance to hold onto what has been part of my life for almost six years. Grief would be a poor word to describe it, and shock has left me numb and will only add to the sting later. The fact that there's been no way for those of us "not in the know" to prepare for this makes it even worse.

The fact that I am currently stuck on a Navy ship at sea is even more difficult for me. It took me ten minutes just to get this page to load, and now somehow I have to find enough time to try to say goodbye to those I count as good online friends, many of whom my only method of communication was chat. Many of whom I know I won't ever see again, because that's how things like this work. I can't even get into chat to say a more personal goodbye. That hurts doubly...

All that is left for me now is to save my character sheets, and hope that somehow, I can find some home for them in the future. And try to figure out what in the world I have to look forward to now, during these long days and nights at sea...

Since I'm not sure I'll be able to get another page to load before I must return to my duties, I will post my e-mail here, should anyone wish to remain in contact with me. I can be reached at daxionsfire@hotmail.com when I am in port. I hope to hear from many of you, and would be greatly saddened if I did not.

Farwell, and thanks, to those I have played with and especially those who have been my mods, past and present. You will be missed. And farewell, Tazlure. You were splendid, and glorious, but for me it seems, you were, after all, but a passing dream...
Cowgirls Exotica's "Queen of Hearts" - 2008
Syra
The Chocolate Game Designer

Post by Syra »

As many I have a little trouble finding the right words.

When tabletop disappeared because of people taking up work, I looked online for an rpg. Tazlure was the first one that jumped at me from google and it's the only one I needed. Never looked further, specially not when I found out it was in fact a Dutch game and the owner lived about 30 minutes away from me.

That was 7 years and a bit ago.

Grew from a two-line-writer into a GD and enjoyed everything in between. This is where I learned the art of writing together and it has been a valuable step in dealing with situations good and bad. In fact, when our manager asked me to become the team coordinator at school and asked me worriedly if I was okay with leading meets, I told him with a big grin I was quite used to dealing with groups of people.

So yeah, Tazlure has been more than a game. It's taught me lovely things, it's gotten me into friendships and countries I never would have imagined (another trip to Serbia, anyone?) and most importantly: I might have to leave Tazlure behind, I know I will not loose the people behind it, nor the fun they brought with them.

This is not the end of the world, but it is the end of A world. A world that meant THE world to a lot of us.

I propose a toast to the insane creative minds who got this going, who kept it going and who were wise enough to know when to call it quits.

To Tazlure.
To it's people.
And to the future in which those people still play a part.

Cheers!

...and here I am left feeling I did not say half of what I needed to say and did not need to say half of what I said...
Love you all anyway.
[size=75]Chocolate is not an addiction, it is a way of life.

[/size]
Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

Thank you for letting us play with your world
[url=http://wiki.tazlure.nl/index.php/Isle_Cat]Isle Cat[/url][size=75][color=darkred]

I'm not here to play who's the better killer.

[i]But it [b]is[/b] my favourite game...[/i][/color][/size]
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

That's all there is,
There isn't any more, my sweet.
I've gone about as far as I can go.

I realize the things you did
You had to do,
And they weren't so terribly bad to do.
But you shouldn't have told me,
I didn't want to know.

Maybe I tried too hard,
I thought that we could reach the sky.
I guess
The mountain was too high to climb
I put a sign that says, "FOR SALE"
On all my dreams
And a permanent lock on my door.

That's all there is,
There isn't any more.

But if you need me,
Call me, baby...
Call me.
Paige
Civus

Post by Paige »

While I am saddened by the closing of Tazlure, I know that I am not the only one and I know that the decision coudln't have been easy for any of you. All I have to say is, thank you for the wonderful writing experiences and the interesting conversations in #tazlure. I know it will be difficult to find another pbp site such as this, but I will never cease to write. Reading the stories I have and the backgrounds of so many of your characters, you have truly been an inspiration to me. I wish everyone well, and should anyone wish to keep in touch my email is:

seashell83p@yahoo.com

Take care to all and I hope life treats you all wonderfully.

With Love,

Michelle
Last edited by Paige on Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do than by the things you did. So, throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain
Trajan Constantine Aeneas
Civus

Post by Trajan Constantine Aeneas »

What do I have to say for me, myself and I as we sit here and mourn, for no other word could aptly encompass what I am feeling. Tazlure.nl/board has been the most visited site on dozens of computers since I discovered it, those thirteen (almost to the day) months ago.

It feels as if someone very close to me had died, even though it had been years since i've been with them personally, their death still cuts deep, like a straight-razor. So fast and clean that you aren't sure what's happened until the wound throbs and you feel the blood running down your skin like the tears off your face.

In this time of hurt, I turn to Nikki Giovanni who wrote so beautifully about pain and loss and love and moving on. As Finn says, today is for remembering, tomorrow is for the future. I have taken some liberties with Ms. Giovannis words, just to make them suit.

I will always remember you Tazlure. And the people I knew. Go with God all of you, Long Days and Pleasent Nights to each and every one. And for the GD's and Owners who allowed us, however fleetingly to sojourn in their lands, May the Road rise up to meet you, and may the wind always be at your back, wherever the journey takes you, may you always find shade, water and salt.

Phillip Coss

Trajan Constantine Aeneas
Nar'zul Qa'dar

We are Tazlure. We are sad today; and we will be sad for quite a while. We are not moving on; we are embracing our mourning. We are Tazlure. We are strong enough to stand tall tearlessly, we are brave enough to bend to cry and sad enough to know we must laugh again. We are Tazlure. We do not understand this tragedy, we know we did nothing to deserve it. We are Tazlure. The Tazlure nation embraces our own and reaches out with open heart and hands to those who offer their hearts and minds. We are strong, and brave and innocent and unafraid. We are better than we think and not quite what we want to be. We are alive to the imagination and to the possibility we will continue to invent the future. Through our blood and tears through all the sadness we are Tazlure. We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Tazlure.
Everyone is a hero in their own way, in their own not that heroic way. - Joss Whedon

Special thanks to Drakonis.org for the avatar!
Aerin Penna Seleratus
Civus

Post by Aerin Penna Seleratus »

"The deed is done..." begins the line to one of my favorite Roger Zelanzy shorts, a small story in which a creature named Bactor chose to freeze his most formidable enemy in time rather than kill him outright. You may ask what that has to do with Tazlure closing, but to answer you have to look to the end of the story where his Master asks "Why" and Bactor voices the words which end the spell, his enemy completing the killing stroke before turning on the Master.

In that aspect, Tazlure was my warrior and I its Bactor, knowing when I hit 'submit' on my first character sheet that it would, inevitably end, because nothing good lasts forever and I knew that, should I 'freeze it' and grow to know and love each and every one of you instead of staying distant and playing the game without any cares outside of myself that, when the end did come, it would hurt me very badly.

And so now is the moment when Tazlure moves, the sword of its demise ripping my soul in half and spilling my toils upon the earth, so many stories in progress leading to only a blank page - so many future tales not to be written in Tazlurian ink.

premeditated_road_rage@yahoo.com is the address that I give only to friends - which means all of you.

Thanks to everyone who ever hit 'submit' on a post in here be you game designer or newbie...true, the GD's *did* invent the world but, without players, it would not be the same game that we all loved.
”The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” – Nietzsche

Avatar by Draconis (Found and resized by Paige)
http://drakonis.org
Ssinith DIllil
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Ssinith DIllil »

*Raises a glass*

I remember playing Adrian Elsonrae and the person I fashioned him after dying suddenly IRL. S'sinith after that has become my all-time favorite character to play in an RPG.

To all of you; my myspace is;

www.myspace.com/oldskoolangel

If you want information like my chat or e-mail, PM me there.

This stinks, but at the same time, I understand the meaning behind it. If it has to go, then let it go with dignity. I'll respect the notion by its original creators, and bid it farewell. Now all I'll need to do is find a proper place to replay good ol' S'sinith.
"If all things are energy and a wizard is a master of manipulating it, then as a politician am I studying the greatest sorcery of all."

~S'sinith

NOMINATION
Most Heroic Male PC (2008)
Most Religious PC (2008/2006)

Return to “Banter”