[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
Tazlure • View topic - People

People

Postby Maeve » Sun May 06, 2007 6:18 pm

Oh, I need to include this in my princess collection, for sure!
[color=orange]
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Postby Syra » Sun May 06, 2007 6:56 pm

Hmm warm :)
Syra
The Chocolate Game Designer

Postby Finley Ward » Wed May 16, 2007 5:00 pm

Morgan. :D
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Postby Morg » Wed May 16, 2007 5:18 pm

This. is. so. awesome.
Morg

Postby Gwayne of Vendeling » Thu May 17, 2007 4:26 am

uh wow....
The Goddess is at my side, until she decides to leave me...

Posting on possible days Avatar from our lady Finley.. a mistress of capturing dreams and nightmares in word and pictures.
http://pixieface.deviantart.com/
Gwayne of Vendeling
Tazlure Supporter

Postby Turi » Thu May 17, 2007 5:15 am

Turi
Special Branch

Postby Craghley » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:59 pm

Now I see why so many people have awesome avatars here.
*kowtows to Finley*
Craghley

Postby Finley Ward » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:22 pm

Aster Lu'ulnen. :)

Leon Crowley...

Last edited by Finley Ward on Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Postby Yelena Kintessia » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:41 pm

*_*~ So... Awesome...
Yelena Kintessia
Civus

Postby Finley Ward » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:44 pm

Beccaface. :D

Finley Ward
Retired staff

Postby Turi » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:06 am

Oh, she looks so grown up in this one...
Turi
Special Branch

Postby Keaira Morgandy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:43 am

(Moved. :) )
Last edited by Keaira Morgandy on Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keaira Morgandy
Tazlure Supporter

Postby Grey Wolf » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:40 am

I notice a definite change in style here, Liz. A bit more details in these than before. I do love Becca's new avatar. The hair and hint of ear make it look very real. I love the way shadow is created.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Postby Finley Ward » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:44 am

*nods to the Wolf* Yeah, I've been working at it these last few years. Switched drawing program from my beloved shareware (or is it freeware? matters not) Open Canvas 1.1, which produces very smooth results, to Corel Painter XI, which is capable of much much more texture, which I appreciate. Though I pretty much only use one Painter brush - 'smeary palette knife'. Probably should branch out, at some point.

As for details... I guess it's just stuff I've picked up along the way. As my art tutor back in college said, very wisely (and I appreciate this more and more as I get older), art is all about learning to see. Not about what you think you see, or what you've learned from translating the world around you into simplified, iconic ideas that are easy to think about and store and share, but what is actually there, how it actually appears and works and fits together, and how and why it changes when it moves. And also, importantly, how that relates to what you (and everyone else) translates, the icons we all use every day to simply the complexity of what actually exists - how you can use that to show what is there, and what is expected to be there. And how much of that you actually need to show, or simplify, or omit (and that's an incredibly broad field which all artists everywhere have been exploring for as long as art has existed, hurray).

The example that springs to mind is a tree. If I ask anyone at all to think of a tree, then what you think of is an iconic general tree. It might even be the lollipop tree you drew when you were a kid - a brown stick with a green cloud on top. It might be more complex, and actually have leaves. But it's a basic "tree"; archetypal, without genus or history or specifics. It's probably green, and you probably couldn't tell me (unless I pressed you) what kind of bark it had, or if it produced fruit, or how deep its roots are, or where it lives, or anything.

And what you think if you want to draw a tree, (and understand a tree - for the sake of argument the same thing), is (should be, isn't always - art's a learning experience and everyone starts in completely the wrong place) completely different from that. There's 'tree' as concept - the overall tree feeling you want to express, which is a vague thing encompassing an entire broad category (everything you can call 'tree'), and can be implied by triggering all the right impulses in the viewer - by expressing certain iconic aspects of 'tree' general. And then there's knowing exactly how light reflects off bark that's smooth, or rough, and what shape that bark is, and why, and how the leaves are - shape, texture, luminosity, density, and how that all affects everything around the tree, and what might live on that particular tree (and how) - moss, flowers, vines, birds, insects - and more, how a tree works, exactly, and about a bazillion other things you could or might know about a tree, a very specific tree. And not even taking into account the fact that everything else in your 'tree' drawing (sky, light, ground, everything) is going to affect your tree in some way, so repeat all the steps above for 'tree', with absolutely everything else in the drawing.

And then you gotta draw a line between which of that information you need, and which you don't, assuming you know everything there is to know about this specific individual tree (different from all other trees everywhere), which you don't and never will. And all of this suffering the disability of being fundamentally human and thus cursed to accidentally simplify the individual complex 'tree' specimen into the vague mass 'tree' icon, unless you're incredibly incredibly careful not to. (This is why life drawing is so important).

Every artist everywhere first draws the iconic tree - the tree they already know. Even if they're sitting in front of an actual specific tree trying to draw it and no other, what they draw is an icon, a general tree based on what they know is 'tree'. Step two is to learn and draw the actual tree - the tree they don't know. Step three is the hard bit - learning which bits you need and want.

And that's just a tree. It's the same for pretty much every object ever. Another good example is glass (or for that matter, water). Both appear to be completely clear, but if I only draw completely clear you ain't gonna be seeing any glass in my drawing. I've got a lot more to learn about specifics before 'glass' makes sense to your eyes, and then what you see, in your mind, is simplified to 'clear'. Even though it's not.

And... etc etc. I'm lecturing. Sorry. I'll stop - I don't want to bore anyone, but I fear I've bored everyone! :)

I've still lots to learn, though - and probably always will have. I'm still a long way from where I intend to be - and probably always will be. I'm not certain I'll ever get 'there', to a position where I feel finally happy and that I've learned everything - or if I even want to, if it's possible, which I doubt.

's fun though. Usually. ;)
Last edited by Finley Ward on Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Postby Kaelara Mentahn » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:31 pm

*Drinking all the advice/thoughts in*

While I've always kind of looked at a scene, wondering how I might describe it, the last few weeks I've been imagining how I would draw it... and getting a bit overwhelmed by the complexity. So what you're saying really does make a lot of sense, good thoughts to ponder.

Where -is- a good place to start? I don't want to completely just run away with your thread, but you mention above that beginners generally reach to grasp the more complex things too soon -- I find that my personality of perfectionism might be a big barrier to me ever completely succeeding with capturing what I see or imagine on paper. I don't like being defeated so easily, so I'm trying to figure out how to train my eyes and fingers to communicate a little better without my head always getting so much in the way. lol. I hope that makes sense....
Avatar courtesy of www.allavatars.com - Electra
Kaelara Mentahn
Shopkeeper

Postby Finley Ward » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:09 pm

Finley Ward
Retired staff

Postby Finley Ward » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:20 pm

Last edited by Finley Ward on Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Postby Kaelara Mentahn » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:23 pm

Thanks for sharing your insight, that vast process of how someone thinks about drawing is something I think gives me a place to start.

As to seeing things... I never put it into words before, but come to think of it, there are a lot of things in life that are relegated to 'icons' and our expectations of how they look, when a second's deeper glance reveals an amazing breadth of complexity you never noticed before.

Now if only I can practice dragging my sketch book everywhere, hehe...

*Shuffles off to think...*
Avatar courtesy of www.allavatars.com - Electra
Kaelara Mentahn
Shopkeeper

Postby Finley Ward » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:50 am

Yelena:

Did this tonight, 'cause I felt in a painting mood and avatars usually don't take very long. I intend to do more tomorrow - would do more tonight, but it's getting late already.
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Postby Maeve » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:20 am

Love the detailing on the mouth!
[color=orange]
Maeve

Postby Finley Ward » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:38 pm

Thrandil

(Man, lots of elfy folks about, ain't there? :P )
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Postby Ly Binh Hue » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:08 pm

Woo Thrandil finally got an avatar! I really appreciate that you don't just draw people head on, you give them slouchy or casual poses and facial expressions. I simply cannot draw realistic faces..but I never practice, so it's my own fault. XD
Ly Binh Hue
Civus

Postby Finley Ward » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:41 pm

Elvira...

Finley Ward
Retired staff

Postby Elvira Rodriguez » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:31 pm

*gushes and hugs both the avatar and the author* She is perfect. Simply adorable. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I loooooove the smile. So her. You deserve a big box of candy for this. Real big.
Last edited by Elvira Rodriguez on Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oooooh, is that your money pouch, or have I just landed meself a husband there, luv.
Elvira Rodriguez
Civus

Postby Maeve » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:43 pm

I love the cleavage best!
[color=orange]
Maeve

PreviousNext

Return to Drawing Bard