Theology Seminar with Brother Felton

Moderator: Mods

Theology Seminar with Brother Felton

Post by Guest »

The Library of the Temple of Illuminatus was one of the most jealously guarded resources of the order. And with good reason. It was rumored to be one of, if not the, largest collections of scholarly, magical and cultral works in the Empire. One of the conference rooms had been converted into a lecture hall for tonight's gathering.

The cool white marble of the floors and walls reflected the light from magically powered chandeliers hanging from the ceiling. Several small study tables were arranged with a pair of chairs at each one. A lectern at the front of the room drew focus to the rather bearish looking man who stood waiting for those invited to trickle in after the evening meal. Bushy black hair and beard were joined by tufting hair at his sleeves and collar- giving the man a wild look despite the sober gray tunic and leggings he wore. Large, languid brown eyes calmly surveyed the scene of the discussion to come.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

OOC: Okay, I guess I'll start. By the way, what's the timestamp for this thread? My current solo thread is on Samheen 20th, by my estimation.

IC: Galliban entered the Library, having made her way there after she had finished her evening meal. She no longer wore her armor, as she had taken the opportunity to change before the evening meal into something more appropriate for study. Her clothing was not flashy, just a white robe over her tunic and leggings and a pair of leather shoes. Her silver pendant hung from its chain, resting on her chest atop the fine cloth of her robe.

Upon her arrival, Galliban took a moment to take the sheer volume of material visible in the Library. She had expected the Library of the Temple of Illuminatus to be large, but it was still a sight that impressed her. Not wanting to keep anyone waiting, she then proceeded to the conference room.

Upon entry, the young half-elf stopped near the doorway and looked around the room. Her eyes quickly shifted to the man standing at the front of the room. She did not know quite how to introduce herself, as she usually looked to someone else to start the introductions. Seeing as there was not anyone present to do so, Galliban decided to take the initiative herself. Though the man looked a little wild, his eyes signaled to Galliban that he was not a stern man, putting her a bit more at ease. That is not to say that Galliban had any issues with sternness, but a lack of it made a person easier to approach.

"You must be Brother Felton. I am Galliban Tyren," she said in elvish, bowing her head quickly but still in a respectful manner. "I am pleased to make your acquaintance, sir." she continued.
Last edited by Galliban Tyren on Fri Nov 26, 2004 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear."- Mark Twain
Finodborn
Special Branch

Post by Finodborn »

OOC: Sorry for intruding. Rhoddin never used timestamps on the Oracle's Isle. This to accentuate the special properties of the place. Considering the fact tha it is so isolated, it doesn't offer cause big problems. Don't know what Scytale will do with it, though.
Verum et factum convertuntur.
Avatar by the Artist Currently Known as Eira.

Post by Guest »

Marek headed to the library right after he had finished his evening meal. Having asked for directions as he left the dining hall, finding his way posed no trouble at all this time. He ignored the wealth of books and made a beeline for the open door leading to the conference room. “Brother Felton’s theology class?” He asked as he walked in. Apparently so.

A cordial nod given to the furry man behind the lectern, “Good tide, Sir.” Marek greeted, and added, as much for the teacher’s benefit as for the other students, “I’m Marek Vellion.”

Noticing the study tables and chairs being readied for tonight's class, Marek chose one and lowered into a seat with a pleasant nod to his fellow students. As he waited eagerly for other students to arrive, his gaze travelled to the door. Perhaps he would have some time to browse the library later. Oh, not that there’d be time for extensive reading this tide, his muscles were all but begging for sleep, but perhaps he could browse… just a little.. before calling it a day.

That was for later, though, and the young man swivelled his gaze back to the conference room, amusing himself with speculations about the upcoming class. What did Felton have in mind? A lecture or a debate? The teacher presenting knowledge or an exchange of ideas? Either way, this should be interesting.

Leaning back in his chair, Marek made himself as comfortable as his sore muscles would allow, and waited for the lessons to begin.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

OOC: Thanks, Fin :)
Yes, timestamps will not be used on the Isle unless absolutely necessary (i.e. There is an outside influence which dictates a need for it).
Students on the isle are meant to concentrate on their faith and self development rather than the outside world and its time constraints.

Post by Guest »

The deep bass of the man's voice gave his use of the adhiel language an odd accent as he replied to Galliban.
"A pleasure to meet you, Galliban. I trust the use of Human for the rest of the discussion will not be a problem? Not all of our students are versed adequately in Adhiel, and we want everyone to be included."
"Please have a seat", he continued in Human, "Hopefully some others will be joining us shortly."

A few burns passed and a couple of students wandered in and sat down together at one of the tables.

Marek was the fourth to arrive.
"Ah, Master Vellion. Our newest addition to the order. Glad to see you here. I hope you won't be shy about sharing in the discussion. You all have equal voice in my classroom."

The small desks each had several sheets of paper, an ink pot and a selection of quill pens.

Brother Felton waited a few more burns, but no other students appeared. He let out a low rumbling sound of dissatisfaction.
"It appears our recent trend to intensify novice training's physical aspects has left some of the students too fatigued to appear in class. So be it."

Felton ambled to the back of the room and closed the partition. he put a solid hand on Marek's shoulder on his way back to the lectern.
"Master Vellion, I commend you on your ability to endure. I understand you had a particularly rough morning at the hands of Father Bane."

The young man sitting nearest Marek cast him a sympathetic look.

"So we begin. I would like each of you to write down on a sheet of paper the one or two words that you most strongly associate with Illuminatus."
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

"I do not think that it should be a problem." Galliban said in response to Felton's comment concerning her language, her amalgamated accent prevailing but not dominating in her use of the Common tongue. Galliban indeed did not believe that the use of the language would pose a problem, so long as Brother Felton's words did not become too complicated. She gave him a final nod and took a seat as per his instructions.

Galliban sat quietly for the next few burns, watching the students as they arrived and giving both of them a polite nod. She also watched Marek when he arrived. When he nodded to her, she returned with a nod much the same as she had given to the other students and then returned to her quiet waiting for the next few burns.

Galliban's eyes shifted back to Felton as he spoke to the class and Marek in particular. She had not met Father Bane, but she guessed that he had been Marek's first trainer. She could not help but feel slightly sympathetic towards Marek, remembering her own first training session.

After Brother Felton finished with his instructions, Galliban began to think about the task at hand. She rolled it around in her mind for about half a burn before picking up a quill and dipping it into the ink well on her desk. She brought the tip of the quill to the paper and began to write. She wrote slowly and carefully, making her letters as neat as she could. When she finished, the word "Eali" in Adhiel script was written on the paper. She dipped her quill once more and touched it to the paper again, right below the first word. She wrote the letters as carefully as she had the first, and when she had finished the word "Light" in Common script had appeared below the first word. Galliban then scribed the Adhiel word for wisdom below that in the appropriate script, then wrote the Human word "wisdom" below the third word.
Last edited by Galliban Tyren on Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear."- Mark Twain

Post by Guest »

If the other students had been whipped through the training he had received, Marek could only sympathize with their absence. Not everyone had the good fortune to have a healer for a neighbour. Felton’s hand came down on his shoulder, and the young man smiled, bowing his head unsure whether the praise was entirely deserved. He had had help after all. Bless you, Zinia, he thought, I hope your evening is as relaxing as you needed it. He might stop by later and tell her about the compliment; she had looked like she could use a smile as well.

He returned a quick smile to the one seated nearest to him when he caught the look, and reached for the quill, dipping it lightly in ink. Waiting for the excess to drip back into the inkwell, Marek composed his thoughts. What words would he use?

My Will? My will is the will of the Father and of the Mother and of the Balance between them: the well-being of all.

Now is your first lesson, Marek Vellion. To be safe in my Presence. To call upon the light.

One or two words. He needed four. Which meant he had to choose between them, weigh them against eachother. “Balance” was the first word he wrote down. It was that which Illuminatus had focused on in their brief conversation.

The second was not as easy. The word “Light” came to mind strongly. Illuminatus very name reflected it. Still, the word “Light” was a rather universal one, and it came in many forms and shapes. Daylight, for example, he did not associate too closely with Illuminatus. No, when he thought of Illuminatus' Light, it was more of a Light against darkness, or a light in the dark. A candle flame at night, or moonlight reflecting in a still pool.

Semantics. A frown creased the youth’s brow. Stop over-analyzing. This isn’t a test. He’s just making you –think-.

With a slight, inward chuckle directed at himself Marek wrote the word “Light” beneath “Balance”.

Post by Guest »

Felton collected the words submitted by each student and looked them over for a flicker.
"Ah, so we have a consensus on Light. But we also have Wisdom, Reason, Balance, Protection and Righteousness."

He paced as he spoke, approaching the tables rather than standing at the lectern.

"Wisdom, Protection, Reason and Righteousness are all, I believe, reflections of the major themes of Light and Balance. The Light is literal of course - as can be seen in our usage of candles, lanterns and even magickal lighting throughout the temple complex. But it is also figurative: the light of enlightenment, Wisdom and Reason. This includes both Knowledge and influence of Balance that leads to wise use of such knowledge. Balance, of course, is a key aspect of our Lord. He exists as the balance and mixture of the influences of the two oldest deities: the Mother and Father. It was in balance that Illuminatus was created. So Righteousness, Wisdom, Light ... the qualities we seek out in ourselves and in seek to promote in the world around us, are all to be viewed with an eye towards maintaining the Balance that exists in creation. It is this key aspect that separates our order from, say, the followers of Dominicus in the Western Kingdom. Dominicus is a deity of Light, but without Balance to temper it the Light can be a destructive force that ends up ruining what it seeks to protect."

The large priest continued in this manner for a while, noting the subtle aspects that supported what was generally known about the faith of Illuminatus. He sidetracked several times to include contrasts with, or just plain criticism of the priesthood of Dominicus - the Tyrannical One God.

“Does anyone wish to discuss a particular aspect, or are there any questions any of the group would like to bring forward for discussion?”

(OOC Note: Obviously we will be closing this thread fairly soon, but feel free to ask questions of Brother Felton, and if you have a point to discuss, feel free. )
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban listened attentively to Brother Felton, especially when he spoke of Dominicus. She had always been curious about the religion of the so-called One God, having learned about it from clergy members she knew at the Holy Church and having never been to the Western Kingdom herself. She knew only a little about the practices and beliefs of the followers of Dominicus, and wondered how the religion came to be in the first place. Perhaps she would one day make a point of studying the subject. However, the day's discussion was on Illuminatus.

"I have a question," Galliban spoke up in the common language, setting down her quill. "I understand the aspect of Balance as it applies to the Mother and the Father, but I am not clear on how it applies to the Light. What is it exactly that balances the Light?" she asked. She had her own ideas about the answer to her question, but she was curious about what Brother Felton's reply would be.

Post by Guest »

Marek toyed with his quill as he listened to Felton and the other students. When Galliban posed her question he sat back, frowning as he tried to come up with an answer of his own. When he thought he could answer, he hesitated and looked from Galliban to Brother Felton.

“Would it be alright if I try to answer, Sir?” Most likely he would not be able to give a full or perfect answer, but he was eager to partake in this discussion that held his avid interest. Even if his reply was wrong, he could only learn from it.

The young man waited a bit longer to see if anyone objected before starting on his explanation. “What I think balances the Light is the same that balances everything else.”

He straightened and lowered his quill to the desk as he attempted to detail his reply. “If I understand Brother Felton correctly…” The young man swiveled his gaze to Brother Felton . “… in the Faith of Dominicus, we can see what happens when the Light is unbalanced. There – it seems – the Light goes untempered by wisdom or moderation. Light has become the ultimate goal, not the good it can do.”

“For Illuminatus, Light is a part, albeit an important part, of maintaining the Balance. Here, Light is not the goal, but a guide to protect the Balance, used in cooperation with wisdom and righteousness.”

Draping his arm over the back of his chair, he turned fully to Galliban. “To answer your question in short. The Light is balanced in the weight that it’s given in comparison to other important aspects.” He grinned slightly, “It’s not unlike spending coin. You can spend it all on housing, but then you have nothing to eat. Only by spending it wisely and distribute it to cover all the necessities, you can lead a balanced life.”

He looked a bit bewildered when he shut up and ran a hand through his hair, dislodging his ponytail in the process. “Err… this is what I thought.”

Keeping his mouth shut never had been one of his strengths and he only hoped he hadn’t stuck his foot in it this time.

Post by Guest »

Brother Felton took a moment to consider the question.
"I am not certain I understand your question. We do not speak of an outside influence for balance. Balance should exist in the manner in which the Light is brought into being."

When Marek entered the discussion, the burly man nodded thoughtfully and listened to what the newest student had to say.

"That was actually a very good explanation with a concrete, if mundane, example for comparison. Does that answer your question, Galliban?"
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban's attention turned to Marek as soon as he began to speak. She was almost impressed with the new novice's knowledge. In fact, the right corner of lips curled upward ever so slightly in a sort of quarter-grin. When he finished speaking, Galliban's eyes moved back to Brother Felton.

"Yes, it does, and I agree. Perhaps I can offer my own opinion on this subject," she said, in a tone that made it apparent that her question had been more for the sake of conversation than finding an answer. "The Light inherently possesses Balance, and it is through ignorance and arrogance, or perhaps an intentional attempt to unbalance it, that the Balance can be undone. However, I believe that the Light itself should be as much a goal as using it to do good and protecting the Balance within it. If one simply pursues the Light in order to use it, does that not lead to the very ignorance that destroys the Balance?" she continued.

Post by Guest »

The young man listened thoughtfully, offering the occasional nod as the discussion progressed. A frown creased his brow, a sign of the intensity with which he was following the discussion. When Galliban gave her view his frown intensified somewhat.

“I am not sure I understand, m’lady..” Marek turned to Galliban respectfully. “or maybe I do, and I just disagree slightly.” He gave her an apologizing smile. “Most likely I misunderstand..”

“I do not mean to slight the importance of Light. Yet, when Illuminatus welcomed me to the Isle, His words stressed the importance of maintaining the Balance.”

“I agree that Light is a goal to be mastered but so are Wisdom and Righteousness. To seek Light as a goal in itself, as you say, I can only applaud when it is done with keeping the Balance firmly in mind. Without that restraint, we might walk closer to the path of Dominicus rather than Illuminatus.”

Again he tried to think of an example to illustrate his views, “As with many good things, too much can be harmful. For example: a Light that shines too brightly only blinds those who look at it.”.. The young novice sought Felton with his gaze. “Perhaps that is what is happening with Dominicus’ followers, Sir?” he offered pensively.

“Err…for that reason, I don’t think Light should be separated from wisdom, righteousness and –in my opinion- moderation as well. All to keep in mind that ultimately, it’s Balance we strife for.”
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban reacted much the same way as Marek had to her, listening thoughtfully and offering the occasional nod. Galliban's face, however, did not show as much intensity as Marek's. Her expression was more one deep concentration coupled with amusement. A good conversation was something that the young woman had always treasured.

"I understand your point," Galliban said, then paused for a moment as she remembered the name of the novice. "Marek, is it? I believe that I understand what you mean to say, Marek. Illuminatus once told me, in so many words, that knowledge without wisdom is often a destructive force. The same applies to Light without Balance," she continued, then paused to shift her weight in her chair. "However, I believe that Wisdom and Righteousness are innate to the Light. I do not believe that they are seperate. Without these qualities, the Light is no longer the Light. This can happen when one takes it upon oneself to define the Light according to their own wants. It seems that this is what the Dominicans have done in their arrogance. Illuminatus is the Light, and by His grace one can understand the Light. As such, it is not within the ability of any mortal to define the Light without His grace." Galliban finished. Even as she spoke, she thought her speech to be pedantic and was frustrated by the fact that her ability to speak the common tongue was limited as it was.
Last edited by Galliban Tyren on Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Marek gave Galliban a reassuring smile, having taken no offense to the woman’s manner of speech.

“We seem to have reached a consensus on the fact that without Righteousness, Wisdom, Light there can be no Balance although we disagree on the emphasis upon each.” He surmised neatly.

“You asked what it was that balances Light, and your own reply, if I am correct, states that it is Light that balances Light because by being Light it innately possesses the other traits mentioned in this class like Wisdom, Righteousness, Protection and Balance and if it does not, it is not Light.” He smiled somewhat, enjoying the discussion. “To me, this seems a bit like circular logic and makes a further discussion on what balances or imbalances Light rather moot.”

“So, we agree that Wisdom, Righteousness, Light and Balance should all have their place, and that without it there can be no …Light or Balance ..whichever you wish to choose to define the end result.” Sitting back in his chair, Marek concluded, “To me, it seems we’ve reached agreement on the most important issues and also..” a sudden playful grin sparked on the young man’s face, “we seem to agree that although Dominicus and his followers may call their Faith a Faith of Light, it is not a Balanced Light. Whether or not to call it still Light, that’s a choice.”

He winked at Galliban, “Perhaps we could come up with another word for this thing they call Light in a next session?” He almost added ~or over a mug of ale~ but reminded himself to behave just in time to hold back the invitation.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

As soon as Marek finished speaking, Galliban gave him a half-smile and a nod.

"Yes, it seems that we do in fact agree. Perhaps we shall indeed get the oppurtunity to converse on the topic of the Dominican perception of the Light." she replied, thinking nothing of the wink Marek had given her. It suddenly occured to her that they were drawing too much attention to themselves. Her gaze shifted back to Brother Felton.

"Excuse me, sir. I did not mean to distrupt your class." she said.

Post by Guest »

The old priest seemed anything but upset.
"No. No disruption at all. The reason for these meeting is for you to explore the theories that are at the base of our beliefs. I am happy to have such active participants as yourselves."

For the next two marks, Brother felton brought up various ideas central to the faith of Illuminatus and allowed his students to run with their ideas - only inerjecting the occassional correction or clarification.

"Now, I think we all have plenty of material to meditate upon for the next few days... what say we meet again three days from now at the same mark? Good. I can usually be found around the grounds and temple garden if you have any questions that cannot wait. Or if you have any other problems that require a sympathetic ear - for I was once a novice and remember well the trials and questions that plagued me at the time - please feel free to seek me out."

And so the class broke up, the other students were rather quick to leave. Felton hung behind a few burns gathering books and scrolls and taking some notes before departing the library.

OOC: Class finished - feel free to stick around and interact or explore the library for a few posts if you'd like. :)
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

As the other students departed, Galliban finally rose from her seat and went to leave. After taking a few steps toward the door, she stopped and turned toward Marek. She remained still for a moment, then began to approach him. She halted a couple of feet away from him.

"I do not believe that we have been properly introduced. I am Galliban Tyren, paladin initiate. I thank you for the stimulating conversation earlier." she said in a clear but unassuming tone.

OOC: Yeesh, sorry about the post quality.

Post by Guest »

“Galliban?” Marek folded the used parchment and tucked it away as he turned on one heel to face the paladin initiate. A hand was immediately extended, accompanied by a quick smile. “Good to meet you. I’m Marek, brand new, but you heard that.”

“Glad you didn’t mind the debate.” The young man look a tad apologetic at Galliban. “I enjoy discussions and when you asked that question to Brother Felton… I just couldn’t resist jumping in with both feet.”

He grinned at her. “But I’m pleased how it turned out. You are a good sparring partner in a discussion, Galliban. It was stimulating and I’ve gained several new insights. Hopefully we’ll get to do it again in three days.”
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

Galliban shook Marek's extended hand with a firm but gentle grip.

"Yes, I too hope that we have the oppurtunity to have another discussion soon," she replied with a nod, pausing for a brief moment after finishing the first sentence. "I have not seen you at the services before. Did you just arrive on the Isle today?" she asked.

Post by Guest »

“Several marks ago.” The young man confirmed in reply to Galliban’s question. He released her hand after a pleasant firm shake and turned his head for a friendly parting smile to the other two students. Most of his attention remained on Galliban, and almost immediately his gaze rested on the young paladin again.

“From what I’ve heard it’s not the best time to arrive. One of the healers told me there has been trouble… Attacks?” He added that last after a flicker of thought, the word ‘trouble’ could mean a phletora of things after all.

Marek reclined against the desk, making it obvious he wasn’t in a hurry to go anywhere.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

"Yes," Galliban replied, looking away for a moment. Her expression changed for a flicker to one of remorseful reflection, then evened out a bit as her eyes went back to Marek. "Indeed, there have been attacks. A paladin of our order as well as a priestess of the Red Warrior were killed as a result." she continued, her tone suggesting that her mind was somewhere else.

...As a result of my faults.

The young paladin diverted her eyes once more, then slowly returned to her comrade before she continued speaking.

"I apologize for my manner, Marek. I am afraid that I was more involved with the situation than I would have preferred."

Post by Guest »

Marek courteously pretended to have found something interesting to look at just towards Galliban’s left. When she returned her gaze to him however, his focus swept back to her with a smile. “There is nothing to apologize for, Galliban.”

“If you feel up to talking, I would gladly hear more of what happened…And most of all, why.” He leaned a palm on the desk. “Ever since I arrived it was as if a cloud hovered over the complex.” It was his time to cast his gaze down, and he shook his head slightly in dismissal of disturbing thoughts. When he lifted his solemn gaze to Galliban’s, his voice was low and steady. “Whatever happened, the effects linger. I can tell that much with the bits and pieces I’ve heard. Rumors of demon summoning, deaths, swords and poison.“

His hand swept sideways, palm up, in an inquiring gesture. “All fragments, but the full picture is missing.”

Marek gave the young achadhiel a friendly smile. "But should you rather not speak of it. I will understand that too, Galliban", he reassured her. Although he badly wanted to hear the full story, Marek had no intention of forcing Galliban to recount events she might rather forget.
Galliban Tyren
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Galliban Tyren »

"I thank you for your consideration, Marek." Galliban replied, pausing for only a moment before continuing.

"I know some of the details of the situation due to the fact that I was present during the attacks. However, many details are still unknown to me. I can tell you that I was assigned to protect a young Aurelian who had been involved with an incident involving the attempted summoning of a daemon. I was partnered with a very skilled and experienced paladin of our order, a man by the name of Thean. I was not with them when they were attacked in the gardens. I was with my mentor, but I heard the disturbance and rushed to their aid along with my mentor and a priestess of the Red Warrior, Lana, who was with us at the time. The attackers were fought off, and Thean was injured in the process. One of the attackers fled and Lana and I pursued him. We were ambushed in the forest, and Lana sacrificed herself so I could escape," she went on. Galliban paused again and shifted uncomfortably upon the completion of her last sentence. "I returned to the Temple complex and informed my mentor of what had happened, then remained behind with the Aurelian and Thean. Thean started to behave oddly and become more and more agitated. He attempted to attack the Aurelian, and I was forced to put myself between them. Thean nearly killed me before a guard stopped him. Unfortunately, Thean was killed in process. The blade that had injured him had been tainted with poison, which had caused him to lose control of himself. Lana's was eventually found in an abandoned enemy encampment." Galliban continued. She bowed her head for a moment, then returned her gaze to Marek.

"That is all I know. I hope you found my words informative." Galliban finished. She was visibly affected by her recounting of the story, but the young half-elf remained very composed.

Return to “Oracle's Isle archives (old)”