Sense of Scent on the Scene 19th mid-GT

Moderator: Mods

Jadmai
Civus

Sense of Scent on the Scene 19th mid-GT

Post by Jadmai »

Ailla had gone long ahead of Elaine and Ulder, she was not even in sight by the time the couple reached the palace, the place was buzzing with Purple Guards though most were gathered together as they recieved the order not to enter the scene.

The area around the palace did start to draw a small amount of citizen's, though none of them really had an idea as to what was going on, they simple peered at the number of Purple Guard in one place. Some where huddled together, against the chill of the night, and there was even a couple reminding Elaine and Ulder of there recent situation as they shared a kiss outside.

Indeed it might seem morbid to the pair riding in on Adil, but then the lovebirds sharing a moment probably had no idea as to what had just happened inside the palace walls, and perhaps that was for the better.

The small throng of people parted as the Purple Guard captain and his companion passed through, however, as soon as they were in the midst of bystanders, the couple that was sharing a moment split apart instantly almost as if they hadn't actually having romantic moment in the first place.

The man seperated from the woman, and took to walking in stride with Ulder and Elaine.

"'Ey, Adil, girl!" The man said enthusiciaticly as he walked along side the beautiful mount. "Have you been treated well? Ya such a good one, you."

A quick look at the source of the voice complementing Adil, and Ulder would see it was a buddy from his old post. The rat-like nose, the scruffy beard--unbecoming of anyone, but especially a member of the Purple Guard--and the use of his favorite form of cover: the company of the lady. It was unmistakenly Quall.

After taking care of some business, Quall would forgo formalities and go straight into the information he had aquired, indeed he was a joker, and probably could a be a jester on most courts, but his speciality was information, and it was his job, and he took pride and great seriousness in it, he did not even give a greeting before speaking his real business.

"Awright, Cap'n Ulder, we have two males deceased. One killed by poision in da drink, the other by a sword into the chest--there was no sign of struggle. The man killed by poision is main concern, his name is Pietro Soldiaccio, and wit a name like that I assumed he was from the Worlds Mouth, after some questioning I found out I was correct. He was indeed born in Worlds Mouth but was raised in Kings Court, and that is where he 'ails from, in fact, as I am sure you were told, he was an ambassador. Not a very 'igh ranking official, rather small fish, if ya savy. The other male was the ambassador's son, Aldo--found 'em stuffed underneath 'is own bed."

He paused for a moment, and the wind from the sea reached the trio filling Elaine's ears with music of wind but also the cacaphony of the horse steps and passerby gossip, her nose could still pick up the scent of the sea though it was faint, most strong was the scent of Quall. He must have recently come from some sort of evergreen tree or the wilderness in general as he had the slight smell of freshly fallen leaves and pine on him.

The wind--in an almost polite fashion--picked up Elaine's hair and let it fly with in the wind, part of her bangs falling over one her eyes. To the two gentlemen she was with the wind did not muss her hair, but gave it life, and it was most beautiful and becoming. Quall, always the ladies man took notice, with just a simple and polite smile to Ulder as if to compliment him on find such a woman.

"That bein' said Cap'n...it's a real blessin' to see again. I almost got myself to thinkin' ya thought yourself too good for us lowly Guard who still prowl the street. Ya know, I jest, Cap'n. Gods, it's just good to see you again."

He turned loudly to face Elaine, "And my Lady Elaine, it is a pleasure to finally meet you. The Royal Poet, I have read your prize winnin' work and it is most wonderous. So that must be what it takes to snag ol' Ulder, huh. You have to be a prize winning poet, and if there was a prize for it, prize winning beauty." A soft laugh was followed by the statement, he was charmer. "Hang on to Ulder, though."

He paused for a moment, and Elaine could feel him and hear step closer, "But seriously, my lady if you ever need anything, just call on Quall!"

Quall's curly locks swayed in the slight wind as he turned back to his Captain, "Cap'n Ulder, sir, if you would like to lead us to your office. It is the only part accessible at the moment. It is also the most secured with the best of swords guarding the way."
"...war is the last flower on the evil tree."-- Betrand Russel
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

It was a strange night, but then again: when had her times with Ulder ever been normal? Either there was something weird going on around them or they were providing the necessary toothgrinding themselves.

The buzz around the palace caused some concern. It was usual for deaths to get noticed by the people around, but to have so much activity already? Nothing like this had been noticeable when they left the palace. This kept only a narrow timeframe open between the discovery of the bodies and this abnormal gathering.

Another of those interesting swirls of energy? Or just a lot of people outside at gravetide...no, this does not make sense. Something has been rousing these people. This scenery is absurd.

Someone approached them. A little grin split Elaine's worries when the man actually addressed the horse over the captain, much as Ailla had done. Soon it became appearant that this was no coincidence as this had to be the man Ulder had talked about just a few burns before.

The information was quick and to the point, much to the young woman's delight. It did not make sense to observe niceties when there were urgent matters to deal with. The poison did not come as a surprise, the weapon did.

"How much do we bet the man was stabbed with his own weapon or that of the other man?" She mumbled, more to herself than any around her.

Stuffed under his own bed..."Were they found in the same room, sir?" She inquired softly, trying to get the picture complete, completely forgetting that she might have made a working deal with Ulder and Ailla, but this man might not know she had been allowed to work alongside the professionals.

"The stabbed one probably got in the way. Strange though, no struggle. So either it was someone he knew or perhaps he was asleep in his bed? How were they dressed? Maybe it helps knowing what they were up to this time of night."

The wind blew the loose strands of her hair back into her face. Without thinking the girl brushed them aside and braided them back in with the rest as far as she could. Never bothered much by how she looked, she was much more interested in how she sounded -or rather whether they'd think her questions worth answering.

Quall's next comment caught Elaine off guard. "You -read- the song? How...I mean...I just...they wrote it down? My sincere apologies, master Quall -at least I take it you are him, or there are many more old acquaintances of Ulder than I thought."

Quickly she regained her composure, finding she rather liked the way this man talked. It was bold, unabridged and simply fair by the sound of it. This made accepting the compliments all the harder.

"I will do my best not to loose him, sir, if you will allow me to work with him rather than await his return anxiously?" She tilted her head, wondering about the reaction that would get. It was best this man knew her for who she was instead of having false ideas of pining women in a high, ivory tower.

"Your offer is greatly appreciated. I hope never to have to take you up on it other than share a good meal over an undoubtedly fascinating tale." Elaine replied, nodding sincerely.
There is so much to see, yet so few willing to.
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

As Ulder took in the scene, he was already assessing some adjustments that needed to be made. This many people around and about wouldn't do. The person who committed the acts could be in the crowd watching, and with this many people milling about, identification would be difficult to come by.

It was the familiar routine of Quall that caught his attention. He'd been down this path before, and despite the grim circumstances, he found himself fighting a wide grin. He forced himself to make it a small smile as to not look the fool. He took in Quall's report, nodding along as the man relayed the information.

"Great work Quall." He grinned a little more widely this time and clapped the man on the shoulder affectionately. It seemed like it had been a long time ago that he stood face to face with friends. Friends he genuinely trusted. Seeing Quall and Ailla made him miss Xyale a little less, and a little more. He continued on with Quall at a lower volume, words just for the two or three of them.

"Let's clear some of these people out shall we? The killer could be standing here watching his handiwork, and we have no way of identifying who's here right now. Let's call it four guardsmen in the hall and two at the door. Everyone else can go, or needs to be gone. Let's try to identify as many of the onlookers as we can. Once we get everyone cleared and secured and make a plan, we'll come back and examine the room. And one more thing... Once, just once, could you acknowledge me before the damn horse!"

The last was said with a wink and a knowing nod, playing along with Quall's games was just so much fun again. It was almost like coming home. He wanted Quall to know he would never abandon their friendship, and the best way to accomplish that was to play along.

"It's good to see you again too. Thanks for sending Ailla. That was an unexpected surprise."

He turned to let Elaine and Quall have a word as he scanned the throng of soldiers guarding the way. Elaine's questions were along the lines of his own thoughts. She seemed to have a knack for this, despite her gentle nature. He had simply wanted her to "feel" the room, but it seemed she was giving the investigation her all, and he was very grateful to have it.

He waited for them to finish and nodded when they were ready. He started walking alone at first, then quickly remembered Elaine was without her staff. After two steps he turned to take her hand, so that he might lead her to his office. He leaned over to a nearby guard, and spoke in a hushed tone.

"Please have Guardsman Valsert Forrell and Sergeant Zimphander brought to my office, and allow the one called Ailla entrance as well."

He let the order hang there for a flicker before turning and placing Elaine's hand on his arm and led them to his office. His mind was already churning with possibilities, but he wanted to hear from the others as well.

He let two guards stand at his office door, to control traffic, and led Elaine to one of the chairs, and waited for everyone to arrive and settle in before beginning.
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

<html>
OOC: I am doing the smallest of timejumps here, basicly two marks, accounting for the time it takes for the orders to be placed, and get everyone into Ulder's office. However, these marks will move us to dawn on the 20th, (we were already at mid-gravetide) I will edit the thread topic accordingly. You don't need to post like a normal timejump as I will just push the time ahead, with commenment of action.

IC:

Quall listened closely to Elaine's question's, "I wouldn't take that bet milady, ya have got it right on the head. He was stabbed with his own sword, the son dat is. In the room of his father the ambassador, then stashed underneath the bed. The ambassador was also found in that room, poisioned--awful stuff must have been, 'ardly any of the drink was taken, but obviously some."

Quall walked ahead a little to the front of Adil, and softly rubbed her head between her eyes, Elaine could sense the pine and foilage scent drifting away, and the constant, almost too familiar, scent of Ulder was most prevelent. His scent had been quite constant for last few marks, so perhaps now she could put into the background, as she could Quall's footsteps.

"I shall get the identities of those around, see if we 'ave anyone around besides drunkards, or those who 'ave 'eard some gossip. Then I'll fetch Ailla, and meet you in your office--after getting some proper guards posted. I could also plant a seed of disinformation...hmm. Meet you soon, Cap'n."

Just after Ulder had ordered for two specific guards, from inside the palace a bell tolled, it was one more mark until the dawn of the 20th. The stars starting to fade with the light of a new day, and Elaine was acutely aware of the scent and probably the feel (her hair probably collecting a slight bit of moisture), of freshly settling dew.

The clearly of citizens out front, and the extra Purple Guard, who in fact, probably caused most the stir, took a painstakingly long time to the couple under the situation.

Inside Ulder's office he waited alone...finally, with Elaine, be it only for ten burns or so. When Quall found his way in to Ulders office, offering a quick salute and a nod. Ailla soon made her way in, not obliged to salute, she offered a small bow.

"The private and sargent you sent for will be coming straight, the sargent was making sure part of the palace was empty, and the private has been sent for." Ailla told Ulder.

There was a small note addressed to Ulder inside his office:

<center>
By Gods, I am cursed when it comes to the seas
</center>

There wasn't a signature, and the ink was badly smudged, probably by a careless messenger. The message didn't say much, it was a simple fact, though it seemed a bit cryptic.

Sergeant Zimphander finally entered the room quietly, saluting, and standing near the door, as he closed it.

Quall took this as a time to speak, "Cap'n, I must say that so far an assumption has been made by all of us. Aye, it's the dead of the night, the marks when these type of things seem to happen, but I think this tradgedy happened earlier in the day, indeed, I have seen bodies, and I think they were just not discovered until now. The two were after all lodged away in a room, perhaps they were not expected to come out all night? There is something else--the stabbed yonger man was also hit in the head--"

At the point of Qualls ponder where he mentioned he had seen the bodies, Elaine could easily hear Ailla turn her head quickly towards the door. Elaine could also hear, it was just footsteps though, heavy ones, the guards outside in the hall or by the door didn't move, it was likely the private Ulder had sent for, but there was another sound too. It was smaller footsteps directly behind the larger ones that were odd, they were coming at more quick pace.

Finally, the steps came to the door, but the men of the room seemed relatively unalarmed, as the guards seemed to have to no concerns.

Ailla couldn't help but wrinkle her nose however, as quite the unpleasant scent filled the air. It held the sea in it, but also the smell of pitch, like that they used to on boats. Ailla was rather overcome, Elaine could easily enough pick it up.

Finally a voice came from the hallway, it was a gruff tone, as if someone was trying to mask there tone, and make it lower, and it was talking to someone outside the door.

"So what are you going to do with that thing, huh?" Asked the gruff, voice muffled through the door. "Do you know how to use it?"

Elaine having used her sense of hearing her entire life could tell that the source of the voice was coming from lower to the ground, perhaps only as high as her hips.

Was this a dwarf?

"Draw it out and slay me then." The voice said.

This caught the attention of all in the room. Quall and Ailla quickly started into action, as a team they flowed as smooth as a gentle stream, with the force of river rapids.

Quall stepped quickly past Elaine, his scent flying past her. He went to the door and grabbed the handle, and looked back at Ailla.

Elaine could hear what sounding the strecthing of fabric, it was in fact Ailla bow string, arrow already knocked, and at the ready to fire, as soon as Quall would open the door.

"Oh, no, you got me! Gods!" The voice said before the door was opened.

However, then Quall flashed the door open, Ailla stood on her chair, to get a vantage point which would allow fighting in the door way if needed. Zimphander, rushed to Elaine's side, putting a hand on her shoulder, "I am right here, I'll lead you to saftety, if needed."

It was a smart move, as Ulder was far more capable with his blade.

The door now flung open, Quall looked out as Ailla lowered her bow in a confused expression.

When Quall stepped out of Ulder's viewpoint, he could see a child standing atop of large man, very muscled, laying down with his eyes closed, a child's play wooden sword being held between his arm and his side and a most familiar face, his old mentor he might refer to him, Xyale.

All the Purple Guard where surprised to see him, Ailla spoke first however, "Xyale, aren't you supposed to be in Kilsovan?"

Xyale laying on the ground, playing dead, his would be victor standing on his chest no more than six yahren old, opened one eye, and looked at Ailla, and spoke out the side of his mouth, "I obviously cannot talk right now, Ailla, I am quite obviously dead." He said nodded slightly at the sword he had 'plunged' in his side. "Okay, Dade, I have to talk to these people now." The young boy stepped off of Xyale. Xyale turned to the two guards at the door, "Could you watch the boy for a just a moment, he's a wild one."

The guard at the door just shook his head, obviously thinking himself to good to babysit, however as Xyale stepped into the room, the boy did show his wild side by picking up his practice sword, and just before the door closed all could see him take a full wind-up, and smack the disrespectful guard in the shin with his wooden sword. The guard took to hopping one foot, and the door closed.

Elaine could tell now, Xyale had been on his knee or bent over talking to the child in a playful voice.

"Captain Ulder," Xyale said with a nod, and a smile. "I am curious to know if you have any command over the sea vessels, because I was not aware that two ships could possibly run into each other. One would think, it's not much to ask, in all the sea in the Seven Isles that two ships not collide. I have spent the entire 19th, helping nurse a ship back to port. The waters do not like me."

Quall could not resist, "And I am beginning to think you are not fond of the waters judging by the stench...Xyale...Captain...sir."

"Shut up, Quall."

"Thank you, sir."

Xyale turned and took a step toward, Elaine, "This has to be Elaine, but the anecdotes I have heard while being breifed on my way from the docks and through the palace, are misleading. The descriptions of your beauty, are better left to the likes of yourself, a poet. My name is Xyale, I took on Ulder's intial training and with much pride did I do so. But also admit, before I was taken onto the gods forsaken ship, I caught wind of your prowess of verse, and I am quite the fan." He cleared his throat, "If I may:

A song speaks up from deep within
The city sings for you
A melody so sweet and pure
A song that must be true

A song that tells of dreams of old
Of harmony we know
The promise that’s been made today
Will add to this, to grow."

His voice was of a deep bass, but strong and held a tone quite handsomely. Though the melody was slightly different, for the most part Elaine's song has traveled well and been kept accurately.

"I think it is a lovely song, and that is just my favorite part. As I said, I've become quite a fan." The gushing was most out of place. Elaine could now tell this was a very large man, and could feel him towering over her. Sterotypical he was the type of man that wouldn't take to song, or at least singing.

Quall chimed in, "You voice sure is purdy."

"Quall, go ahead and start doing pushups, until midday." He looked over the group again. "Of course, I was not brought here to regale you with my voice. Captain Blye sent me here to aid you Captain Ulder, in whatever way you seem fit, I am not here to lead, just to be utilized. That being said, I think I found a witness, he was in the hallway in the time of the murder, though he did not see the murders. It is Dade, the child, but he will not talk with me even though I let him kill me twice. I don't know, I think he is afraid of me." He said in disbelief, however, clearly the man didn't recognize what a man his towering hieght, and stature, could do to a child. "Once I heard you had gathered here, I thought I would bring him. He only says one thing to me, and he won't elaborate."

Xyale opened the door, and instead of one hopping guard, there was two. Dade had even managed to steal a helmet, and wore the large bulky thing on his head, as he strode proudly in the room, his small play sword at the ready.

Dade allowed Xyale to pick him up, and set him standing on a chair, so that he was not so towered over.

"Dade, we Purple Guard sheathe our weapons when there isn't danger, and around ladies, and there are two beautiful ladies here." The boy responded by saluting and sticking the tiny sword into his britches the hilt still sticking out for obvious quick access.. "Now, will you tell everyone what you have been telling me?"

Dade looked down at his feet, and scraped the chair with his foot, still a little intimadated. "I dun...I will tell. I say--I mean, I saw a flower."

Xyale looked up at anyone else who might have an answer, "That's all he'll say to me. No idea what he means. But he was in that hallway all day playing, and hiding. I'm not much for interroating...especially children, so...go ahead, if you think you can get more out of him."

Dade looked around, and drew his sword, and eyed everyone up, though he had a playful smile on his face.

To Elaine she could hear him moving around, but more so, she could pick the smell up of a pampered child.

Again the bell sounded to show a mark has past.

Ailla perked her head up and said quietly, "It's dawn. Word will travel with every flicker."

OOC: Sorry that I wrote a book-lenght post, and for all the NPC's. But they will all have a purpose. I think they all are unique enough for them not to get confused. If so, just drop a pm, or chat, and I can clear things up.
Last edited by Jadmai on Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:59 am, edited 7 times in total.
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

ooc No probs here :)

Elaine could not help it. It was simply too funny to hear Ulder comment on the 'damn horse', especially since she'd been thinking the same thing. She laughed out loud, quickly stiffling the sound by clapping a hand to her mouth. It was so obvious these people belonged together that it grabbed her heart and squeezed it tight. It almost hurt, for no other reason than hearing the complete contentment in her guardsman's voice.

Ulder's hand was gratefully accepted. "Maybe I could simply go get my staff?" She mumbled. It wasn't that the young woman did not enjoy the feel of his warmth, but rather that she'd prefer to have his hands free in case of trouble and still being able to feel her way around.

The blind woman let the questions rest during their little walk to the more secure office. It would not do to give away her train of thought to those that might benefit from it in a different way. Yet once in the office she felt safe enough to venture further. The different scents around her were starting to fall into place, making it easier to feel around them instead of being blocked by her intrinsic need to identify new impressions before being able to move on.

The bells evoked a yawn. This had been a remarkably short night and now it was turning into an even longer day. Hiding it behind a hand the girl promised herself to somehow find a use for her senses before going to sleep...if at all. Somehow it started to sound like this would simply be one of those days where the situation took precedence over personal needs. She felt a bit ashamed for actually thinking of something like sleep on a moment like this. Luckily the freshness of a new morning was of assistance in turning her mind to matters at hand.

New people entered the office, soon identified. The news brought with the new arrival was not good. Elaine frowned. "If it has been that long, it will be hard to pick up on any lingering scents. I hope nobody has been airing the room. Can anybody tell me how they were dressed? It would say a lot about the time of day or their activities at the time of ...death, especially since we are talking political officials here."

The girl made sure to keep her tone soft, not wanting to go over anyone's head with her questions but not wanting to let them hang unanswered either.

New footsteps interrupted whatever other questions Elaine might have posed. The actions of the people around her made her extremely skittish, ready to bolt out of the way of those more skilled. All her senses acute, she tried to anticipate whatever might happen next. The sea air and the heavy footsteps pointed towards sailors, but what sailor would have business at the office of the captain of the Purple Guard at this time of night?

Morning. She corrected herself, feeling another yawn grow. Already she missed the feel of Adil's movements under her.

Sounds got more confusing with the moment as the Achadhiel tried to make sense out of it all. It was a great relief to have people around her who knew how to handle themselves, as once again she found herself glued in her seat. Despite knowing she would always have a little edge whatever she tried -because nobody expected her to- there were too many fresh memories of coming too close to failure.

The voices did not hold any real menace, which only added to the confusion. The room exploded into action, the door opened and as fast as everyone had jumped up, the entire situation died down again with Ailla's simple acknowledgement of yet another familiar face.

Laughter bubbled up, as much out of relief as because of the absurdity of the scene. Ulder sure knows how to pick his friends...This is unbelievable!

Elaine kept quiet, leaving them all to get reacquainted. The little boy's presence peaked her curiosity, but the answer would have to wait as yet another of Ulder's companions launched into a series of compliments that she would have been glad to hide from. Her mouth opened in surprise as the big man started to quote the verse she had spon at the engatement dinner.

"How did you...I mean...that's the song I heard for the Caesar!" Blood rushed to her cheeks as she was very aware of the mountain looming over her, laureling her accomplishment. "Master Xyale, thank you for your kind words, but I assure you I have heard enough to last me several yahren in a few marks alone." She tried desperately to explain her awkward feelings over the attention they were giving her in the midst of a dire situation.

Finally -and saving the shy woman from having to say more- the boy's presence was explained.

A witness! I doubt he's afraid of Xyale, though, or he would not have played with him. The way the great man handled the child made her smile. Despite his own misgivings Elaine felt he'd be perfect with any child. There was simply something kind about this tower of a man.

Dade's words made her catch her breath. A flower! Perfume...roses, Isabella?

Careful not to scare the child with yet another stranger interrogating him, Elaine quickly wrapped her mind around the world of a child's perception. He'd categorize what he saw, most likely. Was it possible that Isabella was in the room? Or maybe one of the other Roses? For a moment Fauna came to mind, but remembering she only used the name 'Flora' for her inn visits, she skipped the woman.

This boy is well taken care of. There is no reason why he would fear anyone without reason. He's even playful in the midst of so many strangers!

"Well done, Dade." She praised the child, nodding at him when it was obvious Xyale felt a bit at a loss. "You know what to look for. Very important for someone like you." Elaine had no idea what family the child came from, but hoped she'd appeal to his sense of feeling valuable. "Did you like the flower?"

If it was Isabella, I doubt he'd answer that with an affermative. Somehow the woman does not strike me as one to bother with making an impression on children. Yet, let's check something else.

"Did she smell like flowers?"

Only one woman who smells like roses. Isabella told me it was made especially for her. I don't want to put words into his mouth, though. Now let's see if he will chide me for being stupid in not realizing it was not a woman...I'll take the punishment, but I'm betting he means a woman. Can't be sure about him recognizing the kind of flower, though. I wonder what made him think of flowers in the first place if it wasn't any perfume.
Last edited by Elaine on Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder glanced over at Elaine after her outburst of laughter. It was look of mock annoyance at best, and he could not conceal the smile that followed no matter how hard he tried.

"We'll have to get your staff later, I can't afford to take the time right now, I'm sorry. I had no idea our little rendezvous was going to turn into all of this."

Because she knew him so well, the murmured response showed that even he was a tad uncomfortable by the sudden gathering.

When Zimphander stepped in, Ulder's face split into a wide grin at the sight of his old friend. He took a moment to go over and shake the man's hand and give him an affectionate clap on the shoulder.

"Good to see you again. Welcome, welcome. I'll need you to do something for me, but we'll get to that a little later. Until then, make yourself comfortable."

As Elaine began to ask questions, he remained silent, wanting to hear the answers himself as he began to organize the events in his head. He was trying to put together a mental picture and timeline of events, so that they might better solve the crimes. While they spoke he read the note from his mentor, instantly recognizing the handwriting from all of the orders that he was to carry out.

Cursed when it comes to the Seas... He must have had a rough trip there...

He looked up at Quall and was about to reply when loud voices in the hall and mention of killing made the room explode into action. Ailla had an arrow ready to go, Zimphander rushed ready to escort Elaine to safety and Quall was at the door ready for anything. He was so impressed and confident in their abilities to handle the situation that he did not even bother to unsheathe his sword, although his hand went to the hilt by reflex. These men and women were a well versed and experienced fighting unit, and he felt proud and privileged to be a part of it. Rank notwithstanding, he felt like he had come home.

Then Xyale stepped in, and everything fell into place for Ulder. He simply felt as if everything and everyone he could want to solve a problem was now in the room with him. His love, his mentor and his friends all willing and able to help. It gave him a feeling of near invincibility.

"Good sir, if I had any control over the sea vessels you would already know, and besides, if I had my way, you wouldn't set foot on one unless it was by your choice. The waters may not like you old friend, but I can assure you the Guard does, at least this guard."

Ulder joked about Xyale's less than sterling reputation among his trainees. He was certain that the others would get the joke as well. Elaine's proximity would tell her how he felt about these people, and how glad he was at this time and place for their presence. Ulder was simply a changed man around them, and they raised his confidence to new levels while at the same time transforming him from the somber and serious man she first met, to a person she might not instantly recognize.

He was surprised as any about Xyale's reaction to Elaine. He simply had no idea that the mountain of a man was such a fan of songs. He watched and listened to the man sing with great delight, as well as Quall's ever present jokes.

At the mention of Dade, the young witness, Ulder was instantly grateful that Elaine seemed to be taking the lead with him.

A flower? Gods above and beyond! What the hell am I supposed to do with that? It was then a sudden thought struck him.

"Quall, we'll need to either speak to Lady Rioja, or perhaps we can summon Mister Barrett Threespan. Maybe this flower was used in the ambassador's drink as the poison. One of the two of them should be able to tell us if there are such poisonous flowers and the signs of death they would cause. Perhaps we can even get one from somewhere to see if Dade will tell us if that was the one he saw."

He took a moment to outline the events in his head and express them to the group.

"Right. To me it seems like the son was killed first. It was violent and hurried, and it might teach us the most about what happened. I think afterwards the body was hidden so that the assassin could take their time with the ambassador. Perhaps it was a woman who wore a flower in her hair, or carried one to put in his drink. A man with a flower would likely be remembered, so let's start asking around to see if anyone remembers anything unusual from yesterday. We'll need to talk to the royal gardener, flower shops, apothecaries, anyone who might deal with flowers as part of their business."

"Xyale, will you please handle the palace security? We'll need things to be locked down pretty well. Ailla is right, word of this will spread quickly and things will need to be tightly controlled here. The men are used to you giving them orders."

"Quall. Now's the time to gather as much information as you possibly can. The assassin is still close unless one of the portals was used, so information of any kind about this is power to catch the assassin. I'm trusting you to pull whatever is out there together for us. Match any faces in the crowd earlier with anyone pointing fingers today. You are the Minister of information for this little group, and we'll be relying on you heavily for it."

"Zim. I need your eyes and ears inside the ranks of the Guards. You are trusted and well liked, and perhaps if anyone knew about the attack and didn't try and stop it because of some slight or dislike of the ambassador, they might be talking today. Will you be the spy within the ranks?"

"Ailla. Not being Purple allows us some leeway. You can move in and out of places that we can't go. Please go to those unsavory places and find out what people are saying, and tongues often wag in the presence of a beautiful woman."

"When Valsert arrives, I want him to check with the University to find out if any of the portals were used last night and if not to stop them from being used until the assassin is caught."

"I think it's best if we all go over to the scene right now to see if anything there corroborates or refutes any conclusions we have this far. Then Elaine and I are going to visit a friend. The healer Math may have some additional insight for us."

"Let's keep a close rein in on what we find out. We'll need to share information often and under tight security to avoid rumors, gossip, and giving the assassin any clues. Thanks for your support and help. Let's do a good job on this and show Commander Sosa that her soldiers know what they're doing if she is here or not."

OOC: Was going for the longest post in Taz history... did I make it?
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

Quall listened intently to the orders given by Ulder and gave a small salute, then as an afterthought he remembered to answer Elaine's question, "Oh yes, Lady Elaine, I'm sorry. Nah, the clothes they were wearing were nothing special. The type of clothes you would expect from them folks. Aye, but not night clothes, if that where ya gettin' at." The master of gathering information turned to Ulder, Elaine could hear his boots softly change position, and the source of his voice changing. "I think I will make my way along the palace then, I don't spend a lot of time 'ere, and I think perhaps with a nice new accent and a change of clothes, I could move more freely. I will see what I can gather and meet you in the room. Don't worry about not being there, I'll find ya."

Quall opened the door giving a theatrical bow, and disappeared down the hall.

Dade had been looking at Ailla for sometime, and then finally turned to Elaine, "No, no, no, she didn't have a flower, she was a flower, or at least that is what my mother said to call them, she doesn't like them much, and doens't think they deserve to be called by that other flower. And she had hair, like that--" He said pointing his toy sword at Aillia's golden locks. "Mmm, I don't know, but not as pretty. She also had a black bottle."

Zimphander jumped up, "Well that is enough for me, I'll start be seeing who was on duty last night--or I guess yesterday at this point. See, if I can randomly bump into any of them, if you catch my meaning." He gave a quick salute and he also went the way of which Quall went.

The solid, tower of a man, Xyale spoke up, he strong sent of the ocean makes with the scent of the scents that accompany that of someone who has been surrounded by sailors was still rank in Elaine and Ailla's nostrils, "I don't think we should lock the place down, that will cause too much of a stir, and the next thing that will happen is gossip will be flying everywhere, and there will be a hundred people who saw a dozen different murders or suicides. But yes, I will make entering and exiting just a tad harder, than it was yesterday. However, I will be going with you and Elaine to that Ambassador's room. Now, I know you don't need a body guard, but we don't know what could be up there lingering around. And yes, I want a crack at the bastards too if they show there faces." Xyale looked around and realized he wasn't in a Purple Guard barrack, but in mix company of women and children. "Oh, pardon me, I just get a little heated when people are harmed on my ilse." He shifted his eyes for moment, "That's right, it's my isle."

Ailla just shook her head, "Well, do not worry about me, Xyale, I am sure I will be hearing much worse in the coming marks. I suppose I had better learn how to be sexy."

"Probably want to hunt down, Quall for that." Xyale interjected.

"That's actually probably not a bad idea."

"Try to refrain from beating anyone up as well."

Ailla shook her head, "If I came back and enlist, I had better make sargent immedaitly for this. I shall return to the palace as soon I hear word of anything."

Muttering a few adhiel curses as she left, which probably Elaine could only hear or understand, she took her leave.

Now, Ulder's office contained his mentor, his love, and a child. Certainly a rich mixture of sounds and scents for Elaine. The boy looked at them in askance, as if he wondered how he could be of help next.

Xyale nodded to himself, "I suppose it is time to take a look at the mess. I am sure we can find a private to babysit for us at in the hall. Probably want to give them shinguards. C'mon sargent." Xyale said as he picked the boy up and threw him over his shoulder, "It's time to get to work."

As Xyale led Ulder and Elaine out of his office, and through the palace. The small boy was no burnden at all on the large man, and as he briskly passed other purple guard he would give them breif hand signals, and they would ran off to perform some unknown task. Ulder had seen Xyale use this language before, and it was a quick way to convey simple orders.

Soon Xyale had them to a more lavish part of the palace, though with the increasing number of purple guard, and the sounds of armor clanking and that detestable ordor of chainamil would fill Elaine's other senses. It defintely took away from the splendor and oppulence of this section of the palace.

Finally they reached a hallway, with an entrance filled with four stalwart Purple Guard, guarding the entrance. They saluted the two captains (Dade would also salute back) and parted to let them pass.

Xyale stopped at one guard in particular, and set the boy down in front of him, "Your mission now, is the boy--watch your shins." He was about to walk away before he noticed soliders weapon, a large staff. "And yes, I will take that. You can have yourself a nice..." The captain searched his pockets. "dagger, yes, nothing like good close combat."

He turned to Elaine, "Here you go, Lady Elaine, I know it's not yours, but it will have to do."

Xyale just a few paces further down the hallway, and to a set of closed double-doors, linen stuffed in the cracks to keep the room from airing out.

Tearing away the linen, Xyale pushed open the doors.

A burst of air slapped Elaine in the face, it was obvious that the room was sealed off quite well. The smell of stagnant blood rushed up her nostrils, a long with the weaking smell of purfumes just underneath.

Ulder could see the ambassador, his mouth agape, laying on the ground. His goblet still rested on the table. Bloodstained clothes lay on the ground, along with several sheets, and pulled slightly from underneath the bed lay the blugeoned and stabbed son.

The stab wound was sloppy, though done by the sword on the floor which seemed in fair enough shape, it looked as it whoever made this wound was not strong enough to make a clean thrust into the chest.

Behind them, the door closed, and was the linen was replaced. The air became quite stagnant again, and it would not take the acute senses of Elaine to feel the difference in the room.

Xyale looked around at the bodies, and then at the door, "It feels like we have just been buried alive."
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

The boy's answer confirmed her fears. A rose, and not just any rose, but a Rose. Female, but not Isabella. Not a chance that any man -no matter how young- would say she was less pretty than any other. There simply was something to her demeanour that seemed to turn men's brains into mush. At least that ruled out one candidate. But which other female Roses were still near?

Is Fauna a Rose? I don't think so. Who else...

How does he know what to call her when his mother was not near to tell him? Her hair is like Aillia's. I hope that means something to the gentlebeings here, for that tidbit of information does not do me any good. The rest however...plenty to work with. Let's try a last few. Dade is far from shy.

"I understand you, Dade." Elaine spoke with a serious undertone. "Was your mother near to call her a flower, or did you know because you noticed something else besides the hair and the black bottle?" The young woman paused a little to grant the boy time to answer. It would not do to ask too many questions at the same time.

When he had answered, she decided upon the last details before releasing Dade into the care of another: "I wonder what time she went in. Do you remember if it was before or after dinner?"

If she was wrong and the boy had seen the woman exit, he would no doubt correct her again. That was the beauty of children, never afraid to show off their own knowledge if given the chance. Hopefully her reference to dinnertime would trigger a frame of reference for Dade.

The blind Achadhiel followed the men out and waited until Dade had been delivered into the safe hands of another before daring to share her thoughts with Ulder. The presence of the guards made her think better of it and she waited a little longer until they were safely inside the dreaded room. Elaine took a deep breath before entering, steeling herself against possible remnants that she needed to pick up on instead of filtering them out.

Strangely enough the mingling of metal and leather around her helped the girl prepare. It was an old game to seperate scents and name them before moving on to the next one, only in older days it had been flowers and grass, whereas now...Her thoughts were interrupted by the sudden feel of wood in her hands. She smiled gratefully at Xyale.

The door opened, the sound of tearing linen making the girl wonder. There was no time to draw conclusions, because a wave of another kind of metal invaded her acute senses. The young woman recoiled from the bloody scene, remembering the smell all too well from her late encounter with Navonod.

Forcing her breathing back to regular, she stepped inside, her face wrinkled in disgust. "Oh dear Mother..." She mumbled, realizing what a slaughter this must seem to the others. "As foul as foul can be..."

It was incredibly hard to filter out the overpowering smell of blood, so strong that she could taste it. Yet it was the perfumes underneath that caught her attention. The blood was visible to all, she'd have to search for clues that would help them further, not state the overly obvious.

"A Rose." She muttered to Ulder. "This will reflect badly on all the Roses that managed to flee the establishment before it was shut down. I hope we can find out about the motive and identity or there will be a witch hunt before long."

She turned to Xyale as well. "Is there any chance of this information staying private for now? Maybe keep the boy safely out of the way of possible gossipers? I guess that will be impossible, seeing how he has to be returned to his parents. Perhaps there is a listing somewhere of all indentured Roses? It should be possible to find out which of those are still in town."

Again the scene invaded her senses.'There is blood in here'...great powers of observation! Let's try to do some work...

"Ulder, they spoke of poison. Is there anything around the wounds speaking of a poisoned weapon? Or is there food, maybe drinks in here? Maybe you could lead me to what you believe to be the source of the poison. I promise I will not touch...merely try to get a whiff. If it were deadly by scent alone, I believe the woman would not have survived either."

It was more for her own sake than for any others that she spoke the reassuring words. Elaine was going on instinct and logic here, rather than experience. Poisons had never entered her life, but somehow she could not imagine them working any different from the herbs her mother had used on minor injuries and illnesses.

Before the girl would try anything beyond her usual senses, she wanted to be able to use the regular information available.

Buried alive...wonderful comment. She gulped, trying very hard not to think of the rammifications of what she smelled and felt in this horrid room. It meant two people were dead, never to get up again. Two people that might have had so many plans. Elaine shook her head, trying to clear it.

There is a difference between letting in the information that you need and letting it overwhelm you! She admonished herself sternly, then strengthened her birchtree shield a little more so she could hide if necessary.

Perfumes and poisons...identify whatever you can, girl!
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

A Rose with Golden hair... That will help narrow down the list quite a bit. A black bottle too... That will help with the search of the locals to see if such poison were recently purchased, as well as something to look for when rooms are searched...

He mused over the possibilities as they made their way to the room where the murders took place. He watched Xyale's silent signals and it reminded him to ask his mentor about them. He leaned in so that only Xyale and probably Elaine's sharp ears could hear him.

"Don't you think it's time to show me the sign language of the Guard? Or is that some big secret so that you all can talk about me without me knowing what you're saying?"

It was so good to have the big man back, and Ulder spoke with little fear that his mentor would not understand that he was kidding about talking about him.

Xyale knows better than almost everyone how little I care about the opinions of strangers. Oh who am I kidding? He knows exactly how much I care what people think...

As they stepped into the ambassador's chambers, Ulder narrowed his eyes in disgust and fought off the distasteful air that greeted them. Careful not to disturb the scene too much, Ulder made sure Elaine was well situated at a safe spot before he let her loose. He walked over and crouched by the body of the ambassador. He took a moment to answer Elaine's question about the poison and her comments about the Roses. He kept his voice low, out of respect for the dead.

"There might be a witch hunt alright. Led by me. Xyale is right, this can't happen here. People come to Citadel from all over the world. They expect to be kept safe, especially Ambassadors from other countries. What will the West think if we let one of their own and his family be killed without an answer? There are some diplomatic considerations to consider here that make our jobs a little more difficult. This type of thing can't go unpunished. I'm not taking about sweeping the city again, but this investigation is going to be fairly aggressive. It has to be. Our relationship with the West is tenuous at best as it is. We can't afford the luxury of whoever did this getting away."

"Yes, there is a goblet here, still has some of the liquid in it. Whatever it was, was strong enough to kill him without him drinking all of it. I'm thinking that fact might help with Threespan or Rioja as well. It might reduce the number of likely poisons and give us something to work with at the local shops."

He moved over to the other body. Shaking his head at the sight.

"Yes, definitely someone without good knowledge of how to use a sword. This is a sloppy wound, indicating someone who thought of the blade as a nothing more than a large knife. Doesn't look like he expected it though. I'm not seeing any defensive wounds on the hands or arms. They may have known the person who did this, so that might narrow our list down even more."

"A Blonde Rose woman, who might have had prior contact with the Ambassador or his son. Not any or much experience in sword work. Black bottle to carry the poison in. Had to have taken place yesterday. Quall will have a field day with that kind of head start."

Ulder walked over to Elaine to make sure she was alright and to speak with Xyale. He checked her mental state with a familiar and telling squeeze of her arm and hand.

"My question about all of this is why? Nothing much is disturbed. There doesn't seem to be anything missing, although if something was it will be difficult to determine what it might be. We can ask the serving staff once we remove the bodies if anything seems to be missing. I know what I'm missing and that seems to be a motive for all of this. Revenge, politics, money, ambition... none of them seem to work for this situation..."

He let his last comment hang, inviting the comments and thoughts of the others.
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

Dade had answered Elaine, they he only saw her leave, and nothing more. And that this rose was with a bunch of other Roses when she was pointed out, by her mother.

Part of the linen that covered the door to keep the scent in was lifted up, and inside slipped a note.

Elaine would get whiff of the poision in the goblet, surprisingly it wasn't all that foriegn to her, it just had some different overtones to it, but she had probably, couldn't be certain, but possibly. smelled this before.

Xyale pondered a bit, "Well, we could offer them a nice extended stay in palace treat them like royals, they will probably stop thinking about all that has happened by then."

As somoe would make there way to the note, they would read:

Found the guards manning the gates where a golden hair rose slipped through. They are a little spooked, they saw her approach and pass by, but they could do nothing about it. As if they were froozen where they stood.
Zimphander
Currently in your office.
Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

Ulder noticed the note slip under the door as he was already pointing that direction to face Xyale. He read it with great interest and passed it to his mentor.

"Well then, it seems we may have a couple of guards who witnessed this blond haired rose pass yesterday."

Not wanting Elaine to miss out, he informed her of what the note said, certain that she had at least heard it shuffle under the door.

"Elaine, Zimphander just passed a note in stating that he has found the guards manning the gates and they saw the blonde Rose pass by. They're a little nervous it seems, as they couldn't move as she passed. That indicates to me she's got some power or talent. Zim's waiting in my office."

Then he spoke to both of them.

"We'll use the guards to identify her. Now we just need to get a list worked up of all the blond Roses and start paying visits to them. We'll search quarters for the black bottle as well. Looks like the witch hunt can be avoided. We're getting closer already."

Ulder looked around at the room.

"Well, unless Elaine has something else to go off of, I think we're done here."

He opened the door and issued his orders to the guards outside.

"Get a sample of the liquid in the ambassador's cup. We'll want to save that to search the killer's home for similar ingredients. Also, let's get the bodies removed and find out if there is any remaining family here locally. We'll arrange to have their remains given over to the family , or make arrangements ourselves for a proper burial if they wish it here."

"I'd like to have the serving staff interviewed to see if there are any additional witnesses, and have them go through and see if anything is missing from the home. If anything is missing, we'll need a list of what those items are to better search our suspects."

He once again turned to Xyale and Elaine.

"We'll update Quall and Ailla when they report in. I'd like to go back to my office and speak with Zimphander. After that I need to get some sleep."
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

Familiar, but not entirely correct...now what is this?

Elaine frowned, recounting the herbs she actually knew were used for cooking, then back to the ones her mother used when helping out with small ailments. Maybe it would give her a clue as to where to look.

The young woman was careful not to inhale too deeply, remembering how she was warned that digesting only a small part had already killed a man.

Ulder's words registered through her mental search. The frown grew deeper. "I can't say I'm surprised. I am still surprised, however, about the current lack of motive. Why would a former Rose murder a foreign diplomat? Can this have anything to do with the closing down of the Rose or is it yet another brick in the chaotic wall of darkness here in the Citadel? Would she have powers of her own, or is there someone behind her, some patron?"

Another yawn stiffled whatever comment she still wanted to make. Instead the girl let her senses wander over the room in a last attempt at finding anything out of the ordinary besides the two dead bodies. If the Citadel's Song sounded in here as well, there might be a discordance found, something of a signature melody. Softly humming the girl carefully tapped her way through the room, straining her acute senses to the best of her abilities, trying to find the regular tune and any irregularities attacked to it.
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

It was well past time to sleep. There was no point in continuing tonight, as everyone was feeling the late hour, not to mention shock and stress. The bodies were quickly cleared away and the doors resealed, with a guard set to ensure that, if they needed to search further, nothing would be disturbed before they returned.

It quickly became obvious to Ulder that his body needed rest. Thus the interview with Zimphander would have to wait until at least the first mark of Tradetide, with the key people reassembling in Ulder’s office at the second mark.

No matter how large or how urgent the workload, sometimes sleep had to take president or things would get missed, overlooked, forgotten. Besides, sometimes a good night’s sleep allowed the brain a chance to work on the findings of the day. Everyone departed with the hope that this would be so, and with a determination to solve this mystery.

((OOC: Sorry for the character control there, Ulder, but the timeline’s stretched as far as it’ll go now. :wink: ))
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

(avatar by Talon Yoseijo)
Jadmai
Civus

Post by Jadmai »

((OOC: You may wake up, slightly refreshed at mid tradetide, how fun...there will be word there is news in your Ulders office, if you'd like to convine there. This concludes the worst timejump ever))
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

((OOC:
This concludes the worst timejump ever

Why thank you, Jad. :wink: ))
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

(avatar by Talon Yoseijo)

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”