Anurith's Golden Ram~Reinhard

Moderator: Mods

Vanir Alfheim
Priest of Joy

Anurith's Golden Ram~Reinhard

Post by Vanir Alfheim »

This tavern, located in the very center of Abu`Sahir, is patronized by the upper layer of commoners, merchants, as well as the lesser nobility of the city. Adorned with gold paint and alight with a thousand candles, it is usually near full, with servants hurrying to keep up with the crowd's demands. A band of regular musicians plays instruments specific to Amun Rah's culture; to these swaying tunes, girls that are perfectly formed dance in costumes that don't have enough fabric in them to qualify for the state of 'dressed' in any proper circles of nobility. Honeyed spirits, dried spiced meats, and fruit are the common courses here, although a more substancial meal is available when requested.

The tender is Yabal, a large man who keeps his head shaved. A polite smile is ever present on his lips, at least until some patron wears his patience to thin, in which case he demonstrates admirable skill in Amun Rah's very own Flowing Sand style of martial arts. None of his servants are female, except for the ones who dance. When approached about payment for some time with one of the girls, Yabal will happily offer his sheep instead, for half price. After which most drop off, confused or disgusted.

It was into this environment that you stumbled. "Hello, can I get ye a mead?" Yabal asked, his demeanor open and friendly. The sparkled gold sequins of the dancing girls reflects the candle light and the little dots of light race around the walls of the room, almost hypnotically.
[color=green]Jayne Cobb: Shepherd Book once said to me, "If you can't do something smart, do something right." [/color]

Avatar by the wonderful Finn. Much thanks!!
Reinhard

Post by Reinhard »

Reinhard left the gates, unfazed by the guard's words. It wasn't the first time he had been given that warning - or having a guard act on his word. Still, it was quite disturbing that he had woken up in such a strange city seemingly a long way from the mansion.

The young elf brushed his hair back with his hands and approached the bartender with a friendly smile.

"Hallo, how's things around here? I'll have a light ale." He put down the money for the drink, along with a small tip.

"Say, I'm new to this city. What seems to be happening around here? I've noticed the guards are a little tense."
Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Ashari »

OOC: Thanks Van! Sorry for the delay on your post Reinhard. I'll try to make sure it doesn't happen again.

IC:

Samheen 21, 1224

There was papable tension in the air of Abu`Sahir the likes of which only follows a battle or an assassination. Last night, there had been many deaths in the streets, and what Reinhard might not have realized, was that the road called Foreigner's Court, where all the merchant stalls resided, that he had just passed through, was not supposed to be red. It was bathed in the blood of countless slaves and guards alike, though few of the true warriors of Amun Rah had been wounded. It was a riot, and the gossip mill was in full swing.

However, Anurith's Golden Ram was a sanctuary for second sons of nobility and rich merchants, none of which had been involved in the riot scene the night before. That paired with the obvious lacking of women prevented much in the way of rumor mongering in the tavern. Instead, like any other day, the sat appreciating the dancing girl as she wriggled like a serpent. Dominicus would be ill with the sight of it. Her body writhed and glistened in the candles, shimmering.

Yabal nodded as the request came across the bar. "Sure thing." He reached behind him and procured an earthenware mug which he filled with a golden alcohol. "Here you are." The tender said as he slid the beverage over to the achadhiel. He saw very few pointy eared fellows in his place, and even fewer of mixed blood, so he was intrigued, and more than ready to pass along the events of last night, mostly because he had been closely tied to them.

"They've every reason to be tense!" He said heartily. "The slaves of Amun Rah rioted, right out in those streets you passed through, but the true battle was further up the road. It was just last night, and quite the fight ye missed, I must say!" Yabal took a sip of his own drink. "Name's Yabal, and who you be, lad?"
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Reinhard

Post by Reinhard »

"Hmm, interesting." Reinhard listened intently. "Reinhard. My name's Reinhard."

For a long time, he sat at the bar, drinking the ale and deciding on his options. He could explore the city further and perhaps find some work, or find a way to return to World's Mouth. On the other hand, Amun Rah presented the perfect opportunity to do some profiteering.

A few quick strikes on the wealthy noble homes, then onto a boat and back to World's Mouth before the guards could catch him. Sounded like a good plan.

"A slave riot, huh? Haven't come across one before. I'd better stay out of it. Actually, I was just looking for passage home, back to the mainland. I just got a bit lost and ended up stranded here, y'see. Where might the nearby docks be? Don't suppose there's still ships heading out?"
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"Reinhard it is then." He nodded and took another sip of his own drink before resting his elbows on the bar. "You're better off away from the riot, that much is for sure, but I think with everything that happened, it should be done with. I heard there is to be an execution later on today, at sunset." There was a somber edge to his tone. "It should be an interesting affair. The Rafao, Ionis, will be presiding over the entire event. Supposedly to stop an assassin/treasonist."

"Mainland?" Yabal looked at Reinhard with curiosity in his dark eyes. "And how else would you have come to be in Amun Rah aside from the docks?" His brow furrowed as he refilled the young achadhiel's cup. "You don't much look like you've come from the great desert, and the desert and the docks are the only way to get into our fair city. Unless you've come from the Nine, but you don't much look like the type for that either. Not strong enough." He winked.

"But, uhm, there are always ships departing from our port, though there destinations are of little concern to me, I've lived here in Abu`Sahir for my whole life, and have no need of leaving the isle, for anything."
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Reinhard

Post by Reinhard »

"A-right, thanks. I'll be seeing you around." Reinhard finished his ale, and stood up, leaving a few coins as a tip next to his cup. The young half-elf headed out, walking straight to the docks.

(OOC: Is it alright to continue in this thread for the docks, or would you rather set up a new thread?)
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: Did you recieve my PM?
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

OOC: TO THE DOCKS!

IC:

The hot air washed over Reinhard's skin as he stepped from the cool and dark tavern into the streets of Abu`Sahir. His fair skin felt the glaring look of the sun overhead as it stared down onto him as if casting his as an obvious outsider when compared to the natives with their dark skin and nearly black eyes.

His own blue eyes would see many things as he passed through Foreigner's Court, the name for the local merchant road which he wound through on his first pass to Anurith's Golden Ram. Stalls sold much, most of which was targetted to the many tourists who wandered the road. Amun Rah was an exotic locale still close enough to the Citadel to allow for visitations. Now, with the wide-spread usage of portals, travelling and tourism had increased greatly to the desert locale. However, a similar sentiment was shared by many of the trekkers: Beautiful place to visit, but they wouldn't want to live there. It made sense. The heat was oppressive at best and deadly at worst.

The nobles greeted the achadhiel with the same contempt they did the natives. The natives greeted him with the same contemt they did the tourists. It was a difficult place not to belong to.

It wasn't long before the scent of the sea filled Reinhard's nostrils and he passed by the gates once more, now manned by a pruned old man rather than the hot headed young guard. "Will you be coming back, again?" A guard asked, if the answer was yes: a pass was handed to the achadhiel as he went through the massive gates, it would allow him passage without the scrutiny of the guards a second time, if no then he was waved through without further questioning.

Many ships were in the harbour, some just entering, and one had just left the port. A man in a white tunic stood at another podium where he was accepting fees from the captains of the boats as well as discussing the schedules of those freigters. After a bit of quarelling with a captain who said he only needed the spot at the dock for three days, not a full week, and thus shouldn't pay full price, he finally conceeded and paid the full week in coins then stormed off. The man at the podium stuffed the extra coins into his own purse once he left then jotted something down on an open book.
Reinhard

Post by Reinhard »

Reinhard cast his eyes around as he made his way to the docks, noting particular points of interest. As he entered the docks, the half-elf proceeded up to the man with the white tunic.

"Greetings, sir. Would you happen to know if any of these ships are heading to World's Mouth? I'm seeking passage there, and would be quite happy to pay for it."

It was unfortunate that most of his funds were back at the bank in World's Mouth, but at least he still had a bit of money. Perhaps more, if the robberies were successful.

He held out a handful of coins - enough to pay for a week's meals - to the man.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"You're right out of luck, my pointy-eared friend, for that ship left port yesterday and there won't be another for..." He paused and looked down at the ledger that was at his podium. "Atleast three days." He finally said and looked back up at the achadhiel.

"Would you like to book passage anyway?"
Reinhard

Post by Reinhard »

Reinhard sighed. In fact, he was secretly pleased; three days was good time to go on his burgulary spree. But he didn't show it.

"Hmm, three days." The half-elf frowned, thinking. Stake out the houses tonight, acquire any information he could the next night, then commit the crimes within three hours of the ship's departure. If everything went according to plan, he would be sailing to World's Mouth with enough loot to set himself up for a while.

Everything would be fine.

"Very well, then. I would like to book the passage for three days, under the name of Rain. How much will it be? Also, let me know any information about the passage, such as what day and time it departs, and where and whom I should meet."

Reinhard reached into his pocket to bring out the money.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The man scooped up the coins from the podium and looked at the achadhiel before him, as if musing now that his purse would be even more ladened with goods. "Hmm. So, a boat's passage. Do you want to pay in full as a customer or are you looking for a traveller's discount working the ship? Many boats are looking for extra men, and they give better prices to someone who helps out." His dark eyes stared deeply into Reinhard's.

"Up to you of course." The clerk said as he pocketed the money. "But, if you are looking to pay for it yourself it depends if you want a ticket in highclass, medium or down below in steerage." Pausing to look down at the book of parchment infront of him he made a quick: Ah-ha noise before continuing. "Here we go. Two crown for highclass, one medium and steerage is looking about... two coronet."

He nodded succinctly. "And it's less for steerage if you help out. As far as when the vessels will be leaving, three days from at noontide would be one, and another at the third mark of tradetide." He flipped a page and scanned down it quickly. "Then four days from now one leaves at nearly dawn." Licking his lips he gazed back up at Reinhard. "Would you like to book passage?"
Reinhard

Post by Reinhard »

"I'll take full customer, high class. With a seperate room, if possible. The ship leaving in three days, three marks from tradetide will do fine."

Reinhard's mind continued to think through the possibilities. He would need to spend the day scouting, perhaps posing as a beggar. The night could be put to good use taking a few small shops or merchant homes. As for the rest...well, that would depend on the situation. The half-elf never liked planning too far ahead.

"And er, would you mind me asking where the nearest temple of Pecunia might be? I've recently heard about these portals and wish to investigate on academic interests."
Last edited by Reinhard on Tue May 31, 2005 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Amun Rah Archive”