The Regent's Office (Samheen 22nd early MT, Demetrion &

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

The Regent's Office (Samheen 22nd early MT, Demetrion &

Post by Maeve »

It was early morningtide on the 22nd of Samheen. The grey light of dawn had just left, and in the palace only the servants scuddled through the halls. Most courtiers were still abed.

A man in a purple cloak, the hood up, walked through the hallway catiously. He did not hesitate one moment which turn to take, knowing his way around in the palace, but he avoided passing people, keeping his head low, or taking another turn if that was convenient.

He was not stopped by the guards next to the Regent's door, showing his face however briefly. The two men, old hands of the Kingstone Guards, widened their eyes but their training showed itself. They said nothing, merely clicked their heels together, when the cloaked man brought a finger to his lips.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Demetrion was just arising for the day. He liked to rise in the morning, unlike the nobility, for it allowed more light into his office. Candlelight could only accomplish so much and his eyes were tired. He needed a secretary, and soon. A junior priest would be ideal.

Rising slowly from bed, he donned his simple white robe again. He made a not to acquire a few more nice ones. Perhaps ones with trim in gold or silver would be nice.

It was time for his breakfast, which he would take in his Office, as usual. It promised to be another long day.
[i]Someone has to be in charge, so it might as well be me.[/i]
Andolin Avatar by the Nice GD
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

A man in a purple cloak entered and watched Demetrion for a burn before lowering his hood. It was the blond curls of Balthasar, his blue eyes excited about the prospect of the work that was to be done today. He looked much healthier than he had in a long time.

"Father Demetrion, between you and Shaeliana, you have kept me very much up to date on what is happening in the Citadel. The time has come to seize the moment," he announced with a flair for dramatics "Today heralds will announce the coronation is on the 23rd."
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Startled by the sudden appearance of Balthasar, he bowed deeply as he recovered. "Your Majesty!" A look of reverence filled his eyes.

"A coronation? Tomorrow? How can we prepare the logistics in time?" he mused aloud. This was going to take a good deal of work. "What did you have in mind?"
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Balthasar smiled "Good Father,"he said gently "I have gone behind your back I fear, and have already arranged much of what I wanted to accomplish. As we speak many heralds will hit the streets to announce the news. Already the Basilica is being prepared. You yourself ordered the bishops here a few days prior.."

The young king was radiant, full of his plans, yet for a moment he stopped "Time is of the essence Father which is why I dare not delay any longer. The future is misty." Balthasar got a foggy look in his eyes. Demetrion found something oddly fascinating about that.. it was as if the blond man was momentarily somewhere where else.

"The coronation will see a new period, a glorious reign. I have so many plans..." his voice trailed away.

The young monarch turned and smiled at Demetrion "Father, I have already arranged some talks with some of the people you were familiar with. Lady Tinally, Lord Anton. I have also ordered a trial of one Lord Tigrin of Taquar, formerly a Vanguard. Now what remains for you is to point me to the people who have been loyal to you that I have somehow missed. What promotions shall I offer them?"
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Encouraged by the confidence shown by the new king to be, Demetrion allowed his mind to forget for the moment the threats of civil war. He smiled in satisfaction at the thought.

Finding it odd that Balthasar called Tinally and Anton lady and lord, Demetrion wondered whether some elevation was in order. "There is Sebastian Beauvais. He led the Vanguard in the defense of the city and his loyalty remained true, even in the darkest of times. Then there is Miri Madelyn, a recent arrival from the Mouth. The One has shown her to be one of his chosen in the days ahead ... but perhaps you have heard the name. She is loyal."

At the mention of Tigrin, his nose wrinkled in distaste. "Lord Suere was loyal in going to bring the food to the city. Baron de Rohm led the Kingsguard after the murder of Reginald," he added.

"I have met Tinally only briefly. I am in need of a personal secretary, but I suppose I should have a priest for that. Perhaps she can be a royal agent here and abroad, She seems to have a skill at investigation. Anton, is a herald and diplomat. Perhaps he could be given some minor office to test him. I was tasking him to establish an awards ceremony for the heroes of the seige. If he performs well, he could be promoted again."

Surprised that heralds were already in the streets proclaiming the coronation, Demetrion asked, "what else may I do to help bring about a grand ceremony for you, my King?"
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

There is Sebastian Beauvais. He led the Vanguard in the defense of the city and his loyalty remained true, even in the darkest of times.

Balthasar nodded "His loyalty and bravery will of course be rewarded. I am considering a knighthood and perhaps a new assignment. Of course he is on a little detour now as I understand. I hope he returns to us quickly"

Then there is Miri Madelyn, a recent arrival from the Mouth. The One has shown her to be one of his chosen in the days ahead ... but perhaps you have heard the name. She is loyal."

A strange smile played on Baltashar's young lips and he plucked his blond goatee, while he walked to the window and watched the courtyard, with the servants scurrying to get ready for breaking the fast "Yes, the prophetess they call her. I... I dreamt about her, as she confronted a daemon from the Empire. A very devoted girl to be sure, though I think she feels uncomfortable with the goals of the Purificatio."

He left the window, and left his reflective mood behind "Lord Anton and Lady Tinally have been assigned to the Citadel, with your herald as the newly appointed ambassador. I am sorry to rob you of qualified men and women like that, but that is a rather urgent vacancy that needs trustworthy people. I also added Father Ottavio to the delegation, over some protests from the Purificatio. Thankfully, I am still the leader of the Church, even if that has never been put in practise before. In the end they dared not refuse my "request". "

Balthasar sighed "Father, I need you to assist me in a most delicate matter that we discussed before. I need to bring unity in the Church, both its official representatives, and the common folk, our devoted followers. Increasingly this Jaxis with the Gray Robes have become an embaressement, a political risk. I need to know where their support rests. Who is financing this? Dominicus accepts their goals as his own, but it is not written all their methods should be condoned."

He fell silent for a moment before adding "I will be mollifying the rightwing of Our Church by banning all pagan worship from Kings Court. I will also not marry that adhiel woman for it would give to much of an outrage." His blue eyes sought out Demetrion, his eyes full of regret for the steps he knew he must take "Is it enough to keep them with us? Does more need to be done? What about the left wing of Our Church, those that I"ve heard are following Miri Madelyn's teachings. She's been heard preaching on street about how our Church should be a shield, protecting the people, not executing them."
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

It seemed as if everytime Demetrion made an acquaintance that person was taken from him. So it was with Anton and Tinally. Sebastian was absent but would hopefully return. "A knighthood would be most fitting, my King." Yes, once he was knighted, it would become harder for the nobility to frown upon him. As for reassigning him, the man had done wonders with the Vanguard since the traitorous Mazus was chased from the city. It was all but decimated in the battle with the dragon knights, and needed to be rebuilt. One positive from the new unit was that the taint of Mazus was removed by the deaths of the old guards.

"I shall work towards the unity of the Church, as you say. In these troubled times, we must cease pitting friend against friend. When one is about to be overrun with rodents, the first task is not to execute all cats simply because they do not follow your ways. In my opinion, it is a time for gathering allies. Yet, we should use the sword to strike the rodents, and their allies, even as we hold out our hand to our allies. It is a time for both peace and war," he added solemnly.

It was just as well that Balthasar was not marrying an adhiel, even though Demetrion had pride in his race. Princess Elevie was nowhere to be found and tensions were running high. Perhaps later.

"We will work to have a large ship for the Church, with plenty of room for all factions to join us on our voyage ... for together, though we would accomplish it differently, the destination is the same."
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Balthasar seemed to draw great strength from Demetrions support, as if he had hoped for and gotten approval. For a moment the set of his blue eyes was young, very young, a shadow of the young man that had set out on his journey only weeks ago, to return so changed.

"Right, then I shall leave you to it. My offices will start to take over the burden of government on the 23rd, so your hands are free to do what you must. You still have my confidence of course and I hope you will remain in attendence in my council of advisors."
Andolin
Caesar

Post by Andolin »

Bowing to the Prince, Demetrion uttered, " I shall be happy to serve you in any capacity, Your Majesty. With you rests the hope of the Kingdom, and the One." He did not envy the lad.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Closed and send for skilling!

I do not have to tell you that you are free to enter any thread and do what you will ;) Just a small note though: we have arrogantly assumed Demetrion will be leading the service in the Basilica on the 23rd. That still leaves you with plenty of time between Tigrins trail and the coronation.
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

THREAD SKILLED
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

(avatar by Talon Yoseijo)

Return to “KC Archive”