To Choose and Be Chosen - Delanedra (Sam 24, MT)

Moderators: Syra, Dartimos Hammer, Mods

Twilight
Retired staff

To Choose and Be Chosen - Delanedra (Sam 24, MT)

Post by Twilight »

The sound of rain outside the arched window did not speak well the day’s weather, but the enticing aroma of fresh baking and savoury eggs from the kitchen was promising, despite the greyness of the Morningtide outside. The rain had begun the Eveningtide before and had continued off and on during the night. It was not cold, but it was certainly humid, even when it was not raining. Fortunately, the bedding of the inn was sufficient protection against the damp.

A soft knocking called Delanedra to her door, even if the smell of breakfast had not yet tempted her that far.
Last edited by Twilight on Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

(avatar by Talon Yoseijo)
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Pulling the covers over her head, Delanedra attempted to sleep, but the knocking was insistant. She slipped from her bed, as one foot touched the floor she shivered. "Cold." she breathed, now she wanted more than ever to return to the nice warm bed. She dressed quickly, not wanting to catch chill, her eyes glanced towards window-- rain was falling. She nodded to herself and walked towards the door. "Who is it?" she asks shivering.
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

“’Tis Sundari, Mistress,” came the sleepy reply of the young chambermaid. “There a note for you. Arrived just before closing last night, but you were… already t’bed” she explained, with the sound of a stifled yawn causing the pause. It seemed the Morningtide was not Sundari’s best time of day.

Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

The door slowly opened and Delanedra stepped out. "A note?" her voice sounded hopeful. "Thank you, Sundari." she smiled warmly. She slipped back inside her room and retrieved her lute and backpack, rummaging through the contents to make sure she'd removed nothing. Her eyes scanned the room, as she shouldered the pack and then walked out the door, smiling. Though the rain would make most people bored, Del thought it was a perhaps a good sign. A new begining.
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

The chambermaid handed Delanedra a piece of folded parchment and bobbed a quick curtsey, before returning to her other duties. From the sounds in the rest of the inn, others were waking now, and a few early birds had already taken tables in the taproom below for breakfast. Once again the tempting aroma of that meal assailed the Achadhiel maiden’s senses.

The note too held an invitation, of a more direct nature. It read:

Delanedra,

I hope you are still interested in meeting with me and my associates. Between us, we are sure to find you a good apprenticeship. I have spoken well of your abilities, and my friends are eager to meet you and hear you for themselves.

Please come by my apartment just before Noontide and we will have a light meal and get to know one another.

It went on to provide instructions to reach Maloth’s home, and was signed informally by the bard himself.

Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

The smell of food tickled her nose. She scanned over the note again and then carefully folded it up before slipping it into her bag. She walked down the steps, and mentally retraced the letter. After reaching the bottom step, she took a deep breath inhaling the scents that reminded her vaugely of home. She fixed her hair, and made sure the ribbon was tied.

She left the Inn, and headed towards the place, she and Maloth were supposed to meet. As she passed market stalls her eyes fixed on the various merchants who were just begining to hawk their wares.
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

The market was just waking up, and yet it was bustling with carters bringing in goods to stock shops and stalls alike, despite the inclement weather. Bird calls mingled with merchants’ and carters’ voices and the rumbling of the carts over cobbled streets.

Laksha and her granddaughter were setting out their seaming wares, fresh from the ovens, and the old woman raised a hand to wave at Delanedra as she approached. As with many stalls that did not have some sort of a permanent roof, they had raised a sort of canopy to keep their wares from the drizzle, and to prove their customers with a little protection from the damp as well.

Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

The market was just waking up, and yet it was bustling with carters bringing in goods to stock shops and stalls alike, despite the inclement weather. Bird calls mingled with merchants’ and carters’ voices and the rumbling of the carts over cobbled streets.

Laksha and her granddaughter were setting out their seaming wares, fresh from the ovens, and the old woman raised a hand to wave at Delanedra as she approached. As with many stalls that did not have some sort of a permanent roof, they had raised a sort of canopy to keep their wares from the drizzle, and to prove their customers with a little protection from the damp as well.

Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Making her way over to Laksha and her grandaughter's stall Delanedra smiles. "Morning." she says warmly. She speaks as if there's not a cloud in the sky nor is it drizzling. "How are you both?" she hands a coin, a bit more than for a pastery, over to the woman. "You haven't seen an Acadhiel by the name of Maloth have you, Grandmother?" she waits quietly, though not as patiently as she normally would be.
Twilight
Retired staff

Post by Twilight »

“Namaste, my dear!” called out Laksha. “Come! Come! Under the shelter,” she urged, encouraging Delanedra with a gesturing hand.

“Good Morningtide, Mistress Delanedra,” chirped the young girl, with a huge grin. It seemed that the vitality of youth was not at all dampened by the weather today. “Apple pastry?” she offered, extending a basket of hot pastries toward the young woman. Cinnamon and apple met her nose and tempted her tastebuds.

“First one’s on the house, dear,” Laksha added with a wink. “Now what’s this about that charming young Bard? Has that sweet songbird caught your eye already?” the old woman teased affectionately.

Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

"Yes please." she said calmly. Delanedra smirked,as she moved under the shelter quickly. "Thank you, Laksha." she murmured taking the pastry, trying to avoid eating it right away. "Caught...." she seems hesistant. "perhaps. But in truth he belives to have found me a job as an apprentice." she looks down at the basket of pastry again. "Though admitedly he's is rather charming..." a slight blush formed on her face.
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

Grandmother smiled "So will you take him up to it? Or are you hesistant.. I can sense that you are, girl." She gave a teasing wink " Follow your heart. What is it that you would like to know of this young man?"

OOC: tie-over post for Twilight :)
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

A bit of laughter from Delendra. "Hmm... nothing at all. He's actually been very helpful." she smiled, breaking a small peice of tart off and eating thoughtfully. "I've been just thinking on what sort of job he's managed to procure for me..."
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

ooc
Ello songbird! You're mine for the time being :)

ic
The older woman smiled. It was the kind of expression archetypical to those who have seen the world and the people in it...and the very same expression which was capable of frustrating the younger, for it usually meant their grandparents were right in whatever opinion or view of the world they were discussing.

"I see..." Laksha added, completely unnecessarily. "Have a bit, love, you don't want to step inside with an empty stomach now, would you? Don't want you fainting on your first job...you do want to find out what it is he managed for you, don't you?"

The girl by Laksha's side giggled and blushed vehemently. "Oooooh, Grandmother! You're meddling, aren't you? And da said you weren't allowed to meddle anymore!"

"Hush, child." The greyhaired woman smiled indulgently. "Come now, eat your pie, take a deep breath and go find out...unless there are more excuses you can think up to stay with me a little while longer?"
[size=75]Gavin:She's the emerald eyed agent of chaos
Vanir:She's cute, it's her personality that gets in the way
Ulder:Syra is a great shredder of paralysis through analysis
Elvin:We call it the Law of Improbable Syrabilities
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

She began eating her pie a bit more vigoriously. "I suppose fainting would make a very poor impression indeed." she grinned. "Your grandmother isn't meddling-" she tells the young girl. "She's offering me sound advice." She moves alittle closer to the older woman, and then glanced back out into the rain. "Does Maloth find a lot of jobs for people such as myself?" she asks calmly, finishing the pie and beginning to get some of the rain from her hair by running her hands through it.
Last edited by Delanedra on Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syrawenn
Baroness of Creiddyladd

Post by Syrawenn »

Laksha chuckled at the gentle admonishing of her youthful help. "Well, how could I possibly answer that about Maloth...after all, I am not supposed to get involved in other people's affairs!" She gestured theatrically and ended with a playful wink at Delanedra.

The girl laughed out loud, sticking out her tongue at the older woman. "I'll tell da you're teasing me!" She threatened.

"Then tell him I will cut off your tongue if you ever stick it out in my general direction again!" Laksha offered in turn, the grin betraying this to be a favourite game of the two women, so different in age. "Come on now, these pastries won't sort themselves." She ruffled the brown curls of the girl who immediately started working on their presentation of goods.

It was important to stand out when the rules were strict in where the foodstalls were placed. After all, it simply would not do to have a fish stand right next to delicate spices or even freshly roasted meats next to the finest of linens. As such there were mostly bakers and other edibles around Laksha's own table. With every sales-department having their own corner in the market, there was not much other than food to see in this corner, although the smells were good enough for one to want to stay here if only to try out every single of the wide variety of tidbits. After all, who could resist such enormous spickled eggs or that strange dark root some of the running children were munching?

Sounds betrayed merchants starting to advertise their wares. It was hard to make out exactly what they were selling with the rain and the gentle chatter around Delanedra wiped out most of the background sounds. The birds were unusually quiet as well, awaiting the end of the rains.

Another few children came running past, the tallest urging the smaller ones to hurry so they might still be able to help set up his uncle's stand.

Laksha grabbed Delanedra by the arm, gently, but firm. "Dear girl, I am glad you are finding your way around. Just don't be blinded by the appearant glitter, alright? Trust your instincts and you'll be fine."
[size=75]Gavin:She's the emerald eyed agent of chaos
Vanir:She's cute, it's her personality that gets in the way
Ulder:Syra is a great shredder of paralysis through analysis
Elvin:We call it the Law of Improbable Syrabilities
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Delanedra watches the young girl-Laksha's grandaughter with interest. "Laksha, if you don't mind would you like a hand with the stall?" she asks removing her lute from it's straps and tuning it slightly.

With the rain gently falling she looks up and down the street,surveying the various merchants. "Perhaps I can get a few more customers..." she begins to play, her fingers moving across the strings as she begins to make up something on the spot.

"I know of a food that's perfect and golden,
So sweet that bird's envy the fruits within
The sun desires the fruits, and takes delight in
The taste, so pure- like a fresh mountain stream
It makes the heart light, and helps one to dream
"

She sings as she plays, hoping that her on the spot musical composition isn't too bad. She continues to play a few more notes on the lute, but does not sing any more lyrics. She looks at Laksha and her grandaughter and whispers. "Lets see if that doesn't draw a few people over here." she smiles conspiritorially and then looks around for the achadiel songbird who'd stolen her heart, and possibly her good sense too.
Syra
The Chocolate Game Designer

Post by Syra »

"I'd be a fool to decline any help." Laksha scolded the weather with a raised fist. It was the worst of weather to be on the marketplace, even worse to be one of the sellers, meaning you were obliged to stay on through the entire drizzle, despite the minimum of customers.

"More buyers would be welcome, someone to buy up everything in one go even more so!" The grandmother continued, shoving the girl out of the way to get to the next crate of fresh pasties. "Today I hope we will do well in the freshly baked goods. They're still warm. Can't imagine anyone not wanting something warm in this weather. I know I would!"

Muttering on the old woman's face softened as soon as Delanedra started her song. Ah, that voice...truly inspired. Sing on, little bird, sing on. Don't let yourself be caged!

Laksha shook her head, trying to clear it of all chances lost throughout her life. She was here now and would make the best of it. She'd not had a bad life, in fact even a rather good one. No use in crying over spilled milk. Now was the time for a new generation and from the looks of it Delanedra might be setting her first steps to something bigger.

Everyone was slow today. Whereas on a sunny morning everyone would have been busy for marks already, people were only now warming up when customers were already looking to make a quick buy before returning to their warm houses. Delanedra's cheerful advertisement brought several women closer, inspecting the goods with a smile on their wet faces. More smiles went around at the sound of her lute and clear voice, but there still wasn't much to do.

Laksha sighed. "Move along, girl. I'll manage here. Didn't you have some appointment to keep?" A sly look at Delanedra and the woman giggled again. "I am so sorry....your da is right, little one...I really should not meddle...but it is so much fun! Come, off you go! Shoo! Go do what you were supposed to do!"

With a friendly gesture she practically pushed the young singer on her way. Another merchant took it as a sign to haul her in as a potential customer. "What, the old bat doesn't want to sell her pies? Come in here, miss! Taste the best minced meat pies you've had since you left home!" The bearded man praised his wares, safely under the cloth that kept the rain from spoiling the goods.
[size=75]Chocolate is not an addiction, it is a way of life.

[/size]
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Delanedra turned towards the crowd as the moved around her and towards the stall. "I will." she said getting to her feet. She puts her lute away and then scanned the crowd a second and then a third time.

The familar shape-or at least shape she thought familar- made her pick more quickly that she'd meant and she nearly ran over another young woman. "Sorry." she called as she bolted towards the direction the figure had come. It had to be Maloth. She told herself chasing after the figure. She paused a moment to look at the letter. Checking the local area and directions again she smiled, she'd reached the appointed place, with not a moment to lose.
Syra

Post by Syra »

"And off she goes...finally." Laksha sighed and ruffled her grandaughters hair for no appearant reason.

"Hey!" The girl protested out of habit.

"They tell me youth is always in a hurry, but to me it seems she is holding back...what do you think, Keilen, is she scared?" The old woman looked at the brownhaired girl with a smile.

Brown eyes turned golden as the girl stared into the distance. "Hesitant, old mother." Her voice sounded hollow all of a sudden. "Without clear direction she will get lost."

"Will she find direction?"

"With the right person."

"Is she heading there?"

"No." The girl blinked her brown eyes and smiled adoringly at her grandmother. Her voice was back to normal. "Want me to open another box with applepies?"

"No, love, it's alright. Run along now." Laksha brought a finger to her lips in thought. Things would get interesting soon.[hr][/hr]
The directions on the note were very clear, down to a description of the trees opposite the house where Maloth would be waiting. The weeping willow touched the small pool, creating little circles together with the raindrops on the surface.

The door opened before Delanedra had a chance to knock, revealing a brightly smiling Maloth. "You're here! Enter, dear lady, enter!" His green eyes sparkled "The day is young and full of possibilities! Tell me, tell me without thinking what it is you'd like to do RIGHT now! No thinking! Just tell me!"

He ushered her inside, quickly closing the door behind the young woman as he lead her towards the main hall, which held a high ceiling and long, growing vines hanging down into a little inner atrium as if to mimick the same pool outside.

"Tell me!" He whispered urgently in her ear from behind, his hands on her shoulders

[/size]
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Delanedra smiled at Maloth, though she was taken aback but his sudden question. "I guess I want to see what kind of work you have instore for me." she said. She brushed her hair back, and freed from the droplets of water. "How are you?" she asks turning the conversation to pleasantries.
Syra

Post by Syra »

"What kind of work..." He chuckled. "Remarkable...quite remarkable. You are an entertainer, yes? Of course I'd find you something fitting! Ah, and here I had hoped for an original thought...a creating though...but I guess you are a focussed little bird, aren't you?"

In the meantime the young man guided her through the greeneries in the hall to a circular room entirely decorated with vines and flowers. The ceiling was at least two stories high, a skylight adding to the feeling of being outside -only now without the rain which tingled on the window so high up.

Rounded benches made a smaller circle in the middle, rounding a small indent in the floor with half-steps down, all in marble. Three persons were occupying the benches, of which one was clearly Adhiel. They all watched her with something akin to anticipation.

"Gentlemen, lady," Maloth spoke to the threesome on the benches. "Allow me to introduce Delanedra. She will sing and play for you now." He nudged the young woman forward towards the two men and the female Adhiel, who all smiled pleasantly enough. Strangely enough he did not give out their names.

[/size]
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

As she and Maloth passed through the greenery, her eyes wandered from plant to plant and then to skylight as they passed beneath it. Delanedra looked at the sky from beneath glass, both delighted and a bit taken aback at the lavishness of the house.

Delanedra glanced at Maloth upset that'd he given her no warning or time to prepare. She took her lute out and then started to play, but after a few moments she stopped. She put her lute down, and looked around to think of what she could sing about.

"Any requests?" she asked rather quickly, feeling that the awkward silence had lingered too long for her own comfort.
Syra

Post by Syra »

The older of the men raised his white clad arm in a nonchalant gesture, looking slightly disappointment at the fact that she stopped after only a few notes. "No, no, no requests. Just sing what you'd like to sing, please." His greying head turned towards his companions on the bench to see if they had anything other in mind.

The other two were sitting at ease, watching her with some interest. The woman's soft purple sari was wrapped with cunning, exposing just enough of her legs to make it interesting for any free man without exceeding the boundaries of decency. Her long, chestnut hair was bound up with several ribbons which hung down over her shoulders. Overall the picture was very artistic as if the Adhiel was posing for a picture instead of listening to Delanedra perform.

The man next to her was probably human, judging by his sheer bulk. The broad torso was clad in a dark blue which fitted the white marble as the night sky to it's stars.

The trio seemed to be made for the surroundings, blending right in while they waited for Delanedra's musical talents to be displayed. Maloth stayed carefully out of sight, leaving the entire stage to the girl.

[/size]
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Delanedra nodded, and sang softly, in a-cappella, the only song she knew she could with out musical accompanyment. Her foot kept with the the music in her head. Even the rain outside seemed to help create a beat.

The music music of nature conjured up images. Of waterfalls and open green grasslands, a forest or two, ancient green places were Adhiel still roamed, where peace ruled and one could walk without fear or sorrow- a truely otherworldly place. The very place in the song seemed to be echoed by the very room they were in.

Her voice seemed to bring to life, the sound and smells of the very dream-world. The grass beanath the feet of mother and daughter and as they ran free through the woods, the lessons taught about and through the great trees of the forest.

Everything seemed to spring to life, till the Achdiel opened her eyes and ended her song. She looked tired and even drained, she took a few steps backwards wobbling a little bit. "How was that?" Delanedra asked softly.

Return to “Kislovan Archive”