Hope is all one can have -- Samheen 23 ET

Moderator: Mods

Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Ashari »

"Yeah, you've already told me that." The young slave gave her a brighter smile, one of his more impressive ones and then grabbed a light chair which he pulled over with him. He wanted to sit across from her, and look at her as he spoke, no matter how uncomfortable it made him to do it. He would not hide - not from her. Of all people Aeris would atleast know it all. Perhaps it would only be her and him who would know the entire truth, but then again, he could only know what he saw. No doubt, Akuta had her own idea of what really happened and what it all meant for them.

Jin sat down on the chair and leaned forward. They still had a decent amount of space between them, but it was a gap that could be easily crossed. There was no uncomfortable chasm between them now. Aeris had stepped all over it when she walked toward him in the Market.

"I.. I uh don't really know where to start except from the beginning." He said. "There's no 'long story short' sort of thing here, so you better be in for the tale." He placed his elbows on his knees and looked up at her. His jacket bunched up around his shoulders and his hands clasped together between his legs infront of him.

The young man chewed on his bottom lip for a moment, as if collecting his thought before he proceeded. "My mother - our mother - died, when we were very young. I was ten yahren, and Akuta was about four - I guess." He shrugged. "I mean, I was so young I didn't really care old my kid sister was, and she was so young she didn't either." His mouth lifted to a small smile. It would be one of few. "We had nothing, really as it was. My father worked hard and my mother did all she could, but they were just workers. They were not slaves. When he left us, he left us with less than nothing."

"I took what we could find for food and money... Aeris. Th-this is hard." He looked down then, "My mother, I mean. My father he left first, shame took him away with a bender and gambling. We had nothing then, you know? Everything they saved we had to use to survive. When my mother took the fever we sat with her.." The young man swallowed and thought of her dillusions in those final days - how she had called out for her husband who had been dead for weeks, though none of them knew it. Or atleast, it had never been confirmed. "Sat with her and waited for her to die. We took everything we could then. I packed Kuta up with a bag and filled it with food and our money and.. their hand-fasting rings." He had to barter them, and he'd gotten cheated, but they were starving, and they needed food. He never intended on selling them, but one does what one has to to survive.

The young man pushed against his knees and straightened his back, rocking against the chair as he looked to the ceiling with a sigh that brought his eyes back down to her. "We lived like that for a few yahren. I was twelve when they caught us, caught Akuta, and brought her to the orphanage." His jaw clamped shut. "I got away, and if I knew then what I know now of that place, I would've gone with her to protect her. I thought it would be better for her though, atleast for a bit, that she would have a roof over her head and food." Jin shrugged. "Things I couldn't guarantee for her. I thought maybe, because she was so pretty and little that someone would take her in..."

His eyes had drifted away, and he tried to hard to reign them back, but he just couldn't, and so he stared off into the distance. "The orphanage trains the children for tasks. They know damn well that no one of influence or power wants some mutt slave-child, so instead they train them like animals. The bigger ones are taught to fight so that they might become guards or bodyguards, the quick learners are taught letters and maths so that the might work as as a scry or book-keeper-" He shook his head. "But it's the beautiful ones, the ones that try so hard to please, they are trained as personal servants."

"If I had known... Aeris.. I never would've let them take her, I would've let them take me instead." He seemed so indignant about it. About the atrocity of it. "I hadn't seen her in about three yahren when I snuck into the Orphanage to give her a present. (I'd been saving some money)." There was another hinting at a smile. "She was.." He pointedly looked at the swan and the smile was gone. "She was so young." Jin continued, but it was painfully obvious that wasn't what he was going to say. "Just nine or ten. They had her - with a man." He took in a breath through his nose and sniffled a bit, trying to push away the shock and horror that had coursed through his body.

Jin pressed onward, however. He had come this far, he wasn't about to stop now, no matter how overwhelming it was. "..There are things I did that I'm not proud of. I left there and promised myself, Anasis and Uphuron as well as my mother that I wouldn't let them hurt her anymore. I promised I'd get her free no matter what I had to do."

It was one thing to talk about the things that had happened to poor little Akuta, the innocent child done so terribly wrong. It was another entirely for him to dig into the things he had done in order to free her. To give her a freedom which she now threw in his face nearly daily with the things she did. He had never even told Akuta how he made his money, and she never asked. "I didn't do good things for myself." He licked his lips and leaned forward again, resting his weight on his knees with his feet firmly planted on the floor. "I was with women - foreigners and local aristocracy and merchant's wives. They paid me a lot of money for my silence, for my indifference of their standing and doting attention upon them."

He expected her to leave then, to be aghast at what he'd done, but if she didn't, he had worse to scare her away with. "And when I knew they were tiring of me, I'd blackmail them, and they'd give me anything I asked for. Then I'd move onto the next one, and none of them could warn their little friends because that would mean owning up to both being with an orphanned mutt and to being had by him - outsmarted. If they shame didn't keep them quiet then the embarassment would." It was an absolutey devious plan, one that had worked most amazingly.

"I got the money in about a yahren, and I gave it to Nadia, and she bought Akuta. I was a lost cause though. I had taken a loan against one of the underground gangs to get the last bit, and then I defaulted on it." He sighed. "I was making so much, and then nothing, and then all of a sudden it went horribly wrong. They threatened Kuta and I didn't know what to do, so I killed one of them." He frowned. "Not in cold-blood, he attacked me, and when they realized I actually fought back, they turned me in as a debter. I went to jail for a stint, and then was released into slavery. As if that's a release..." He didn't say how long the stint had been, but infact it was about three yahren. "And I've been trying to scrape and save since then so I can buy my freedom." Jin looked at Aeris. "I've done.. so many things, I'm not proud of them, but I am proud that I got Akuta free, even if she spits on the memory of it. She doesn't know what I did - really, and she doesn't know I was in jail."
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Aeris Mourir
Civus

Post by Aeris Mourir »

The meek woman who sat in her pale blue dress just simply sat and listened to the story. It was not a tale for everyone or even a small few. As he spoke it was twisted with malice and hate that didn't seem to flicker as the events went deeper and deeper. She sat up about half way through it so her legs overhung the side of the chair, pointing towards the slave. As it wound down, and Jin told her about blackmailing nobles and being quite promiscuous, she didn't budge. It was something about the fact that he had to survive that made him do the things he did. It wasn't for the pleasure of it it was the selflessness and utter love for another person that drove his ambition. It wasn't an ideal that Aeris was willing to walk away from.

She looked into his eyes and everything and nothing swam behind them. The maiden wasn't good at reading people yet, but oh did she try. It was easier since the emotions and his aura seemed to burst just below the surface. However, the tragic story was the true key, since no one could tell such a tale and not have the emotions well and hurt. Aeris herself wanted to cry. It wasn't the type of crying that was happy that he had lived through it all and wasn't insane. It was the type of tears that needed to be expressed, since he attempted to withhold. Aeris wanted to cry for the man, the suavest of individuals.

"Nadia is a great woman," she said. "In a lot of ways me and Nadia are so very alike and then in others we are so very different. We both have the dire need to help people. She has taken in Akuta and now me. The biggest outcast in all of Amun Rah," Aeris added. She wanted to stand from her seat and give the story teller a comforting hug, a hug that meant everything he desperately craved and needed. "Jin, you're not a bad person for helping your sister," she bluntly said. "It makes you who you are and I wouldn't change a single thing about you," the swan voiced.

The Amun Rah denizen sat for a second and looked at him. I wonder how deep Ionis' thanks runs. Will he do a bigger favor for me than I did for him? I shall not forget to ask him, it was thoughts that betrayed her face. If Jin even glanced at the woman he would have seen that her mind was else where, but only for a flicker.

Aeris had finally found out the true story behind the consuming vortex of Akuta's mind. It was a bleak and chaotic one, but one that the apprentice could comprehend. There were concrete reasons why Akuta did the things she did and now Aeris understood. She could no longer pass judgement on the little tyke, but the woman didn't have to like what she did. Hate the sin, not the sinner. It was a more difficult concept to follow through with than it appeared.

Oh, Anasis, Mother of Mercy, why did you plague such a man with such dire consequences. Do you test only the worthy with hardships? Malice is not what you are about.. does Uphuron toy with him? I don't think you would allow such a thing, but even you are a defender of life. Jin shows that same characteristic ... I thank you for bringing us together.

"Come here," Aeris said with a warmed smile only Jin seemed to pry from her.
[i][color=brown]"I am that merry wanderer of the night."
--William Shakespeare[/color][/i]

Avatar manipulated by Ashari with stock photo by LaraFairie
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Jin smiled. "You're too kind, Aeris. There are plenty of things I would change about myself. I suppose we all feel like that about some things, though, right?" His voice was hopeful, though. She hadn't left like he thought she might, and that was a greater showing of faith than he could've imagined.

"You understand though, that she can't know? I could never tell her, I can't burden her with the thought of me being in jail because of her." He protected her even now, but it was a sigh that fell from his perfectly formed lips.

"Uh-... Ok..." Jin said as he shifted from the chair that was infront of Aeris to move next to her on the cushioned recliner. He didn't know she would request such a thing, but somehow it felt better to be next to her. By the light how he wanted to just lay her back, to kiss her, to run his hands over her soft white skin - so pure and downy.

His hand reached out to take hers in his, exuding his warmth over her. He ignored the webbing, or didn't notice it. His thumb rubbed the back of her hand. "I would take back what I would've done tonight though, because I was doing that for the wrong reason. Since I got out of jail I've been doing good, I swear it. I stopped with the women, and the blackmail. But.. I don't know.. I felt so ashamed of being a slave with you. You deserve so much better than what I am, Aeris." He couldn't believe he was talking, that he couldn't shut up. "There are real men that could do better for you and give you so much more than I can." He lifted one of his hands and motioned around them.

"All I can offer you is stolen nights and a chance to see the stars. I can tell you the plans that I have for us, the things I can see when I think of you, when I think of your eyes. I'll give you all of me, all that I can, but that's what I have for you - all I have." And I pray that that is enough... Oh Anasis... don't be so cruel, don't tempt me with her, don't bring me such a treasure then pull it away.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Aeris Mourir
Civus

Post by Aeris Mourir »

"Stolen nights and the stars are what I want. I believe there is always someone better for you out there, but I have found the best," she said after he had finished speaking. As they sat there and a desperate look crossed his face and he went on to talk about Akuta and how she must be kept in the darkness of it all. She understood, and just nodded.

"Jin," just said placing a finger over his lips.

"I don't have much money but boy if I did I'd buy a big house where we both could live," and she truly considered askin the Rafao for a home to live in. Of course, it was the least he could do.

It wasn't until then a melody caught to her voice. She let it flow through her vocal cords, and had a little fun with it.

"If I was a sculptor, but then again, no
Or a person who makes potions in a travelling show
I know it's not much but it's the best I can do
My gift is my song and this one's for you.

And you can tell everybody this is your song
It may be quite simple but now that it's done
I hope you don't mind
I hope you don't mind that I put down in words
How wonderful life is while you're in the world

I sat on the roof and kicked off the moss
Well a few of the verses well they've got me quite cross
But the sun's been quite kind while I wrote this song
It's for people like you that keep it turned on

So excuse me forgetting but these things I do
You see I've forgotten if they're green or they're blue
Anyway the thing is what I really mean
Yours are the sweetest eyes I've ever seen

I hope you don't mind
I hope you don't mind that I put down in words
How wonderful life is while you're in the world," she sang with everything that welled inside of her heart.

It was confirmed. Aeris loved Jin. The problem was, that he thought of himself as a lower being than her. She was a creature, an abomination to some people and a goddess to others. Aeris was just a swan maiden, a race that appeared extinct, rare at best. She had never seen any of her kin since she had left the flock, and she was content with it. Oh, how she missed her sisters, but she had found a new family. Jin and Akuta, however, how destructive she was. Nadia who just loved to help people. The people in the bazaar that fateful night. Everyone and no one in the entire city she now had an intimate bond with, a bond that bound her to this desert place. Aeris was happy, happy gazing into the slave's eyes. Happy that she just have might found her lot in life.

"Hey," she whispered, emitting her own warmth back to him. She inhaled deeply and took in the aroma of texts and literature and knowledge. "I love it in here, and I love you."

OOC: Your Song by Sir Elton John.

Ashari

Post by Ashari »

Jin hushed as she placed her cool finger over his warm lips. His eyes flicked between hers, and as she sang, he took her hand into his and listened, and tried to hear, but it was so hard to listen past his own insecurities. He sat aside her, and as she said she loved him, he smiled, but then looked to her lap.

The slave held her hand in his; "And I love you," He said. "But, I should warn you..." He shook his head, and he found his own voice, a way for her to listen as he took up the melody. It was pained.

"Things you're feeling
Aren't normal now
Think you need me
It's not easy
To let you go somehow."

Swallowing, he slid his body off the seat, and knelt infront of her. He paused long enough to take a deep breath, before he continued.

"And now we're too far gone
Hope is such a waste
Every breath you take
You give me the burden's bitter taste
You promised that you'd stay
You say you want to go
Your lips provide a shelter to the
Things that I don't know

Please speak slowly
My heart is learning
Teach me heartache
Stop this burning now

Wishful thinking
Patience shrinking
Bliss is far away
North is callin'
Now I'm fallin'
At your feet
Please stay

And now we're too far gone
Hope is such a waste
Every breath you take
You give me the burden's bitter taste
You promised that you'd stay
You say you want to go
Your lips provide a shelter to the
Things that I don't know

Please speak slowly
My heart is learning
Teach me heartache
Stop this burning now."

His hand had stayed with hers the entire time, and he looked at her. "You say you love me now, Aeris.. but that is all I can see, see you realizing the beauty that you are - the spendor that surrounds you - and you too will tire of the slave-boy." Jin's dark eyes shimmered. "And then you will leave, and that song will be all I'm left with." He kissed her hand. His skin was so very warm to the touch. "And won't want to let you go once you give yourself to me."
Aeris Mourir
Civus

Post by Aeris Mourir »

The orange-tinged lips didn't move as soon as he was done speaking. Her mind worked and if one was quite enough could almost hear her thinking. The considered many avenues to take, and just one suited this circumstance.

It started out as a normal voice. "There's a good kind of pain," and then the melody kicked in. She couldn't help it, it was the right moment for everything that was happening. The majestic being was happy and she didn't want any of the positive events to ever end.

"An insane kind of sane,
When I'm around you.
When I'm around you,
There's a chill in the heat.
Feel the sky at my feet
Cause I adore you
I can't ignore you, yeah

There's a left kind of right
There's a blind kind of sight
Looking at you
I looking at you
There's no light in the moon
And it's winter in Jaym
When I'm without you

And it trips me off my feet
I think I'm falling in too deep
Do you feel it too

I'm not ill
I don't need to take a pill
To fix what you do
Cure can't come through
Cause baby, all I do is suffer from
Symptoms of you," her voice cut off.

Aeris' heart had shattered into thousands of uncountable pieces. She laid it all on the line.

"Jin," it started off as a mere whisper as she peered into his eyes. "I have seen you fend of numerous foes, at once, and for me. I have seen you beat another to an inch of their life. I have seen you be gentle, kind, flirtatous and even know what you have gone through to get here. I have seen your sister toy with families including her own. I have seen much in this desert city that should have made me run. Yet, I do not. I sit before you as calm as ever. It is you who has the doubts about us and whether or not I will walk away from you. It is you who is scared of the furture," she stated. All of what she had mention thus far was complete truth. What she was about to say would mold the rest of the time she remained in Amun Rah.

"If you are so doubtful, I will not hold you back. If you want to leave, do it. All I ask is that you do it now, before we get too emotionally involved. If you truly think that you will become a bore to me, than this was never meant to work. If you honestly think I see you as a mere slave and that I am so much better than you, than this, us will not work," she said, praying to Anais that Jin was a smarter man than his title suggested.

"Let me ask you one question before you decide though. Will you risk everything for a better us?" It was a question that had plagued her mind for candlemarks now. It was something she was willing to do, and she concretely believed it.
Last edited by Aeris Mourir on Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ashari

Post by Ashari »

"I'm scared of the future because I know the past..." he said with a soft voice. "I've seen many things, too, my dear, and I don't want to ruin the beautiful, pure, woman that you are." He squeezed her hand. "And I can't promise I won't, but I won't let you go."

"There is nothing I wouldn't risk for you, for us... I hope you are prepared for that promise." His other hand went to her face, and he cupped her cheek in it as he leaned in for a kiss. Jin's lips were soft and he pressed them against her sweetly, not delving in for a full kiss as he might've wanted, for, in truth, he could imagine nothing sweeter than laying her right down on the couch to explore every single bit of her body with his eyes, his hands, and his mouth. Her milky skin next to his appeared ghostly white, and he loved it.

Jin craned his neck up to her looking between her dark inkspot eyes, and then crept back up onto the sofa he had slid off of. "Can I show you the stars, now?" He asked her, looking heavenward for a flicker. "And I don't mean the ones in your eyes - I don't think you have any idea how bright those are." He grinned and lifted her hand to his lips for a brush of his lips.
Aeris Mourir
Civus

Post by Aeris Mourir »

Aeris didn't really know what to say. She was expecting him to walk, no, run. She expected him to throw Akuta into the mix, but he didn't. The pale woman expected more self-loathing comments of pity and disgust. Yet, none of that happened. No negative comments and surely no more self-doubt, or so she registered.

"It will take much to taint me," and the flicker she said it, Aeris knew she was lying right through her teeth. Falling for a slave was to be tainted, or so society considered. To give up everything for someone was to be so enwrapped with love and sacrifice that you gave a little piece of your soul away. Amun Rah was slowly turning her into the person her colony hated so much; someone who accepted others for who they are.

She took the kiss with a sweetness that only they would share. It didn't take long for the notion of stars to bring her colliding back into the room and staring into the man's eyes. "I've seen all the stars I'll ever need," knowing that Jin would know that the compliment that he had given her was returned in the same sense.

Ashari

Post by Ashari »

~~Fade to black~~

I think we've accomplished all we're going to with this scene! Sexcellently played. How about -another- time jump?! Yes, I knew you were excited. Post a new thread to bring you to the 26th, and I'll work on skilling your numerous threads...

Return to “Amun Rah Archive”