Dinner with the Avatar [Kes 27th ET]

Moderators: Syra, Mods

Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Dinner with the Avatar [Kes 27th ET]

Post by Yin Lorin »

The evening was cool, and the sun had set early, leaving the night to reign over the sky. The firelights in the trees made them look festive, most of the people were off the ground, and only the shops near the docks were open still, aside from that, the ground was dark.

The room where those who received the note were gathered was large, it held three couches that were finely crafted of an old wood rarely found in the forest, from fallen logs. The wood was polished and gave off a very fine luster naturally, it was not cheap, and never sold to outsiders of Taquar. The couches were padded with a velvet cloth in deep greens; little leaf patterns stitched into them finished the natural feel of them. The table at the end of the room was shaped, a length of a branch that reached out over a balcony, and it was flattened for a bit to allow people to sit at it like a long banquet table with no head and no foot.

The table was set, roasted tusslenuts, steamed as well as pickled vora fish, wild rice cooked with a red bean. The scent from the food was really inviting.

Hesper had arrived, Pemy was there as well, E’uinn was standing with a cup of wine, pouring a bit for Elvie. Elvie had her personal guard, though E’uinn had none. Kormus stood in a corner, his leg looked much better then the other day. All were on time except for E’uinn who was late, but then, the Avatar was even later.

Kormus stood up and walked over to Hesper. “I hear rumor you are to be the next Queen. The Avatar has her heart set on you. I wonder if this dinner is to make such an announcement.” He walked very close to her. “Will I be taking my orders from a young girl like you. I am impressed, you did Melor over well, the poor man did not know what sort of wildcat he tangled with. I mean, shooting him through the mouth, that was classic. Did he beg for his life before you did him in?” he reached out to touch Hesper’s hair, stopping as Pemy laid a hand on her sword. “I bet he did. You put him to rest though, sunk him deep in the earth. Cold hearted killer, you do the family name proud.”

Elvie looked tense, she looked uncomfortable, and the whole while here she complained to Thrandil about not being able to carry a couple of swords. Here she was though, in a long satin gaown the color of moss. It was not full or bustling like the gowns one would think a lady of court should wear, it was as if she had taken a long length of cloth and wrapped it around her. It was clipped at the shoulders with pins the shape of flowers and painted crimson, the neckline plunged a bit, showing off her womanly assets while keeping herself decent, and the back plunged even more. Her waist was tied with golden cord, accenting her very lovely shape.

E’uinn on the other hand was dressed in his uniform, breastplate and all. The light leathers were washed, but still it had a traveled look to it, and a sword was strapped to his side. It was his right as royalty to carry it. He watched Kormus, Hesper could see that, though he feigned disintrest.

Thrandil could feel the anger coming ovv Elvie as Kormus spoke, he was sure if they were still on the ship the General would have a dagger in his back.
Last edited by Yin Lorin on Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)
Thrandil
Hunter, Lieutenant Emerald Guard

Post by Thrandil »

Thrandil had told the princess every time that she complained that she would be fine and could always improvise a weapon if need be. So far, it wasn't needed, and the head of Elevie's bodyguard hoped it was just enough that he stationed the men outside, looking for any significant threat and alerting the dinner guests if that was the case. All the hip and happening of Taquar were there, save for his friend, Commander Draydis.

Kormus, the 'General', was once again treading on quite some toes here. At least Elevie's as wel as Pemy's and probably E'uinn's too. Thran had a hard time keeping his head cool too, but managed. Thran complimented Elevie for the second time that evening on her beauty. How she was a light that gave hope back to the people.

The young adhiel watched Kormus closely, still not really trusting the fellow, yet he wasn't judging him yet. He made that mistake before, and wouldn't do so again.

As steam could almost be seen coming from Elevie, Thran took one of her hands and said "Squeeze me as hard as you want and let out your irritations with that man, Elevie. He's not worth it. Focus on the good things in your life. You must've had enough. Try to forget about him. Both Pemy and E'uinn keep a close eye on him, as well as myself. And please keep remembering we're not on the Attica where all of the crew would've helped you killing the man if you wanted it done."

He stood close to Elevie, wearing a set of normal clothing, but with half arrows in his boots, in case he needed a weapon for close combat quickly. He wanted to look more civilised than usual for this dinner. For respect to the Avatar, but mostly for Elevie, to show her that he his life wasn't only that of a Emerald Guardsman, but also that of a normal elf.
Last edited by Thrandil on Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

Elvie turned and stepped away as Kormus eyed the hands touching. He did not say a word, but kept close to Hesper. E’uinn did not move but spoke softly. “I think Pemy is the only one in your family line to have the right to get that close to the royal blood, Kormus. Careful that you do not get what ever touches her chopped off with your father’s sword.” The dig cut to the quick and Kormus stepped back, his face was red with anger.

E;uinn shrugged and smiled a alarmingly casual smile.

Elvie however turned and released the hand she was holding, stepping to the balcony away from the others. She whispered, knowing Thrandil would be close enough to hear. “I do not like any of this. I know my mother respected the Avatar, but to come home to all of this. I had forgotten why I left and I am reminded very clearly of it now. It all stinks like bilge water.” She turned a good ways away from the others, looking at the group. “We could leave, Thrandil, there are ships in the harbor down there.” She noted looking down from the tree they were in. “There would still be good weather to sail.” She half jested.

Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thran reacted a bit surprised at Elevie's reaction. As E'uinn started to speak, the young adhiel observed general Kormus very closely, paying attention to every movement he made and every emotion that could be read from his body. As the prince smiled, Thran turned his attention back to the lady he had to protect and followed her to the balcony.

The guardsman let the words of Elevie sink in as they hit his heart. He didn't want to leave his land again. He had to once, but he didn't want to again. It was his mission to bring Elevie back home, and so he did, no matter wat it would take.

"Yes Elevie, it's quite good weather to sail, yet I wonder..." and he paused for a few flickers. "None of us likes what's happening here and none of us likes to be here. But you know... there are so many helpless people here. Elderly, children... They need you, Elevie, princess... They need someone they can look up to, someone like you. You give them hope, and that hope is what brings us the victories we need to stay alive. To keep the Kingdom going. Elevie, don't go. If you leave, I'll come with you. I've sworn to protect you to Dray when he gave me this assignment, and I will. No matter where you go. Please Elevie, let me fight with my friends and family alike. Let us put a stop to this war. Please Elevie..."

That said, standing just behind the princess, he laid his hand on her shoulder.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

She sighed and nodded, still looking out at the sea. “Yes, I know, and you are right. I will stay because it is what needs to be done. Thrandil, you seem to be my compass, always pointing in the proper direction.” She turned as the door opened.

Laliel and the Lord Un’qyn entered the room. She walked with an easy stride, though the Lord looked quite sour. “Ahh, good you are all here. I am glad you could make it.” She looked at the Lord. “Quite a collection, I would think this group could perform any task the Mother would ask.”

She turned back to the people there, looking at Hesper especially. “Shall I get to business or should we eat first?”

Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

As the door opened, Thran said to Elevie "Do not sigh, princess, for the tides will turn.". With that said, he turned around again and bowed his head as Laliel entered. He gave some thought to what the princess had said, him being a compass? Always pointing in the right direction? It wasn't that there was a right direction, it was just that Elevie needed to be reinforced in these times, for she blamed herself part of all this and that made her lost in some kind of way.

As he wasn't officially invited, but was there to perform his duty, Thran waited for all the others to react. If they would sit down, he'd stay near the balcony, to look out for any men who would try to access this place by it.

Post by Guest »

Hesper stared evenly at Kormus, amber eyes holding an amused irony at his being present and close. "I did my part, but he would have done much more harm to himself if he had stayed alive... Melor, I mean. I did what I had to to survive, and so did Melor. It's a shame Thelon didn't see it coming." She remembered his name, the name of the body. The one she had felt and discovered cold, the one she had taken from the knife from. "It's a coincedence, that was Thelon's knife buried in Melor's shoulder. It's my fault though, that he passed away, you're right. I'm very sorry, Kormus, if you cared for him at all." She took a sip of wine, "But if not, then please stop the cheap manipulation tactics." Her eyes lost their merry glimmer for a moment, and spared him a serious glance.

She had barely caught E'uinn's eye, and waved, wondering whether or not he saw, her smile returning. He's quite cheeky. And there's Elevie! Oh, I wanted to say hi! She quietly surveyed Thrandil and Elevie, feeling her stomach turn. Love had brought her a lot of grief and muttered at how easy it was to find or fall face-first in it.

"Love is a sad sickness," she muttered to her drink. Smiling at Pemy, wondering if she would agree.

And then Laliel Saliu entered the room, as glorious as ever, though Hesper felt some of her initial aura had worn a little since Hesper had first met her. Mayhaps it's because I've seen so much of her. Maybe she's tired. I should like to ask her about Berehta and .... Lamarli? Was that his name? Oh, and Draggo! I hope he's well!

"Well I'm famished and news in this gathering is always bound to offend someone. I say we eat before we lose our appetites!" She cheered with great enthusiasm, greeting the Avatar warmly.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

“Of course Princess.” The Avatar said with a smile and led them to the table that was all set. “I have heard that a good many things are being done in the city to make it more fitting for the people. Remember though, this is just a temporary location until we can claim the Mother tree back from the demon and her armies.”

E’uinn sat next to Hesper and smiled taking her right side as the Avatar led her around to sit at the head. Elevie sat on her left and looked very upset at Hesper, her dress had a much lower neckline then Hesper’s and was a great deal less formal.

Kormus was quick to take the seat next to Elevie as Thrandil was helping her to her seat. He smiled at the guard. “I am sure you would like to watch the door or something else, incase of a threat to the second Princess.”

“Kormus, please move close to me. I would not think you should sit so close to my sister.” E’uinn said before any could respond. The look Elevie was giving the man was enough to tell Thrandil what he should do to him. “I would hate to think you would have motivation toward her.” His eyes fixed firmly on the man. “I know your history with women, and I will not have that repeated with her.” He smiled a little. “Consider it an order from your Prince.” Kormus started to stand.

“She is a Princess, General, there is no first or last.” The Avatar said firmly. When Kormus looked at her, she appeared to wilt, just a little. She showed a bit more resolve as he walked around the table, sitting next to E’uinn.

E’uinn, having the floor to speak did so. “We have more trouble then just the demon. My patrols have reported that the armies have stopped advancing toward us, and are moving south. It may be another day before I receive word as to why and what is to the south. What ever it is, it is either more tempting or more dangerous then us.”

The Lord Sorcerer nodded. “I could use a seer spell, and see if I can see what she is looking at. With some of that blood from the arrow the Commander had, I can use the blood for divine her intentions. It is dangerous though, as it will connect me to her for a moment.” Lord Un’qyn said serving up some of the rice and beans. He looked at Elevie. “If this acceptable.”

She smiled and gave him a soft nod. “If the Princess Hesper would think it wise.” She looked at Hesper with a raised eyebrow.

Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thrandil, after helping Elevie to her seat, crossed his arms in front of his chest and stood right behind her. Looking at Kormus, he said "Sir, I am watching it from this place. That way I can respond quicker is something or someone might be a certain threat to her.". The look on Thran's face showed enough for all who looked at the two. He did not smile, nor did he frown. It was a blank, yet hard face.

As Kormus left to sit beside E'uinn, Thrandil did not attempt to take the seat next to Elevie. He kept his position behind her, but with a less hostile stand. His hands were at his back, and he still tried to keep a straight face. His eyes moved from one to another in the room and to the door. He'd just have to hope his eyes outside would be enough, in case someone would be so stupid to come and try to assassinate yet another person.

As Laliel finished her words, Thrandil cleared his throat. "Laliel, you know my loyalty lie with the Tari and the Mother and I will do anything to protect them and Taquars citizens. However, you are giving Hesper, who as far as I've seen, isn't completely up to the task of making such decisions on her own, the responsibility to make a choice like this. Even after saying that there is no first princess or last. As long as there's no Tari in this room, I must say that according to you the princess's and princes are all equal in standing. Thus, such decision would have to come from their collective, not from one person that seems not to be up to this on her own. No offense meant to you, Princess Hesper." Thrandil said and bowed discreetly towards Hesper upon his last remark.
Last edited by Thrandil on Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

The full gaze of the Avatar fell on Thrandil, and the power she was channeling could be felt by all in the room. Her body practically glowed with the power. “You have been here but a short time, Sir, I do not think you have had any time to see the Princess make any choices at all.” The Avatar stood, and all eyes fell on her, she was shorter then Thrandil, but her body radiated power.

“You were not here on the night of chaos, you were not here in the days following when we had no order. You, Sir are in no place to judge.” She looked to Elevei. “Your feelings are not as well hidden as you think Princess, and your selfish desires have not helped our cause. Even now the army of the One waits at our gates while we have an enemy within.”

“We must cleanse our own house of evil before we can have the favor of the Mother again. We must destroy the Demon Blayvanna before we can even consider returning to our home, or an future of our land.” She looked at the occupants of the table one by one.

“The teft of the crown by the demon is more then just the stealing of an artifact. Lord Un’qyn and I have uncovered a old ritual that could send her to her demise. This ritual calls for the use of three artifacts, a crown, that the demons possess, a mirror, that a Paladin of Illuminatus and a powerful Shaper have gone to reclaim, and lastly, and arrow we think is in a fortess to the east at the base of the mountains.”

Her eyes looked at Thrandil and Elevei. “I have asked you here tonight so that you, and your brother to go to that fortress and recover that arrow. We have an old map of where the fortress is, but it has been ages since any adhiel has been to this part of the woods.” She looked at Thrandil. “This is a request of the Mother that you go, that this arrow is returned so we may send this demon back to her own realm.” She then looked at Lord Un’qyn.

He nodded. “The spell employs an old magic, left when the Noble blood was established. It is a spell that must be preformed by someone who is born of the noble family, until E’uin and Elevei returned Hesper was the only one of the royal blood. The others were attacked, we can only assume the Demoness knows of this plan.” He did not stand as he spoke, but rather sat and started to fill his plate. “The safety of the royal blood is paramount and so your job,” looking at Thrandil, “is most important while you go to get this arrow.” He poured himself some wine and smiled.

“Prince, I will get you the maps you will need, and you should have some of your best scouts with you, as this is the more wild part of our home, and, though you follow the Mother, and are under her protection, so are those who walk in those woods. Do not think of them as evil, or good, but of being like Her who we worship.” He took a sip of the wine and smiled. “You will be ready to go in the morning, Yes?”
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thran fell silent as the Avatar gazed upon him. The power that radiated from her was quite displeasing him, but he had made his point and would stand by it. He did not step back when she talked to him, nor did he turn his head away. The young guardsman was furious and barely managed to keep his cool as the Laliel even started to attack Elevie.

Laying a hand on Elevie's shoulder, for reassurance, Thrandil cleared his throat again after having listened to all Lord Un'qyn and the Avatar had to say to him and the royal siblings.

"Ladies and gentleman, if I may, especially asking you, Laliel, Commander," he said, the last words certainly with a negative emphasis, "First of all, I wasn't there during the Night of Chaos and the following days because I was still on a mission issued by the Queen. No word had arrived for me that I was needed elsewhere and thus I was just carrying out my orders. I do not judge, yet I do doubt the answers you will get from our brothers and sisters when you ask them what they think of Hesper. For it's Elevie and E'uinn that they know, not her. What is it that Taquar wants right now? A nation that seems united but hasn't got full trust in it's government? Or do we give the people what they want, a government with the faces they know? A ruler whom they look up to? Who can give them their hope again? Who, to them, would seem like a savior in dire times?"

He took a moments pause to let the words sink in with his 'audience'.
Then Thrandil continued "Whatever her feelings, they are not important. It is what she does for Taquar that is important. Taquar will be a nation that can do quite fine by itsself. The army of the One you say? Lead by who? King Balthasar by any chance? I have my doubts as to why he wants to be at war with us. And that demon of yours, E'uinn and the Border Patrol, as well as the Emerald Guard will do anything to stop them. You all know that, as do our people, whom fully trust our skills."

Looking at the Avatar and then to E'uinn, he continued "Sir, since I've been dispatched by Supreme Commander Draydis to protect your sister, I, and the unit under my command, will assist you in this matter. I'll make sure tonight that we are able to leave, whenever you want. And as for that army of the One, if I did not have this mission to take care of, I'd walk to their camps with a flag of truce myself for diplomatic matters. For they will not kill someone carrying a flag of truce, not if they have some dignity and honor left in their souls."

All through this display, Thran made sure to cut off anyone who started to speak immediately by either starting to speak again or by raising a hand somewhat. At this point, the anger that resided in him had been turned into energy in his speech, trying to make it sound more convincing. Especially when he adressed the matter about him judging princess Hesper.
Yin Lorin
Retired staff

Post by Yin Lorin »

The Avatar stood, lifting a hand. She was followed by Elevie who turned and looked at Thrandil with pure anger. “What makes you think you can speak to us in this manner?” She said with a firm voice, the one she would use on the ship when calling down men who had screwed up under her command. “You were not asked for your opinion, so keep it, until you are told to spill it. If she is your commander, then you should have the good sense to keep your opinions to yourself.”

She turned and looked at her brother. “I will see me and MY guards are there tomorrow.”

The Avatar spoke then. “We could possibly have had a better ally with the King if he was married to the daughter of Taquar like she was supposed to be. If anything the people see that failure in her. Thrandil, the whole uprising, the existence of the Thorns was discontent with the Queen and her children, and her lack of compassion and action in the face of political turmoil.” She did not waver from looking at him, as if she were his Mother looking at a wayward child. “You wish to lecture us on a people I doubt you hardly know. Do you doubt my ability to make sound judgments? Do you question my foresight?”

She looked at Elevie. “If the King Balthazar comes here, I will do your mother’s bidding and deliver you to him for a wife. Perhaps we could make amends, perhaps he will be civil. I doubt however he would wish us to continue in our own faith, and our own traditions.” She looked at them all. “We cannot fight the demon with our armies, this much I know. If the King slays this demon for us, we will owe them a boon. We stand at a point in time when we could see the extinction of all adhiel, and the loss of our magic from this land. Do not take this task lightly.” She stepped away from the table, quickly and left the room.

Once she had left, Elevie turned and walked out as well, not looking to see if Thrandil followed her.

Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

As the avatar left, Thran felt a little triumph in his heart, except that it was all wiped away by the pain it caused him that Elevie, too, left the room. Putting him in his place was one thing, this was something that caused him to ache deep inside.

Thran looked at all those in the room, feeling as if every eye in Taquar was looking at him. "Ladies, gents, in response to Laliel and the Princess, who are absent at this point, I would like to comment that I think a Commander should know what lives among his troups. Aside from that, I do not judge any of her abilities, but questions I do have. I hope the Mother can answer them and therefor I will be leaving for the Temple to pray." he said, and bowed slightly.

Turning to E'uinn and then Hesper, he said "Please excuse me, your Highnesses."

Walking towards the door, he stopped as he passed E'uinn and spoke to the Prince. "Your Highness, could I come to you and speak to you later this evening, when my dealings in the temple are done?" he said and waited for the answer. When he'd received it, Thran walked out the door and headed straight for the Temple.
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

Before Thrandil or anybody else could do anything, a messenger came running into the dining room, seeking out Lord Un'qyn, kneeling for him with trembling hands and whispering to his ear only. The adhiel paled, and a dreadful silence settled on the room as those remaining awaited what news had come.

"Your highness," said Lord Un'qyn gravely "Be they our enemies or our staunchest allies, I no longer know. The West is on the march earlier than we expected. They are burning the forest and taking no prisoners."
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thrandil looked up flabbergasted as Lord Un'qyn told the grave news. Were they starting war on the adhiel people too now? What has become of their alliance? This can't be... Someone has to go over and talk to their Commander were the first thing that sprang to his mind.

Standing at attention by now, Thran looked at Lord Un'qyn as well as E'uinn in turns as he said "Sir, Your Highness, I might not have made too good a start with you, please let me and two of my men venture there to meet them to talk with their Commander. There must be a way that this can be explained and that we can put the Alliance we had with them back in place. Please let me go and do this."

As he finished, still standing at attention, Thrandil waited for the answer of his King, as that was what he thought of E'uinn, and of the other men.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Lord Un'qyn kept his eyes focused on the prince who listened in bewilderement "Your Highness, at this point it is unclear why the West is marching. It appears they are headed straight for Taloh, so for all we know it is our own enemy they seek to strike, yet without forewarning us. Our scouts tell tales of many whiteclothed soldiers among them, but they counted several legions."

E'uin stroke his chin as he listened "Well, well.. have they come to liberate us from this evil, or are they harbingers of something worse? Strange methods they use. What good will the forest be to us burned. The loss of life.." He swallowed. It was a ruthless method, clearing their path for their horses and warmachines, and yet it would in the end not destroy the demons. Did they realize they were walking straight into a trap. "Perhaps they think," he added softly, "That their god will save them."

It was only then that Thandril's word got through to him and the prince looked up "The commander? I'll bet a thousand crowns that it is King Balthasar himself who leads his troops. A young brash human or rather achadhiel of questionable breeding, infused with the light of his own god to become his living avatar... honestly, he would not give up the chance to shine like that. " He muttered softly before adding "However, you are right. You can take five men and Elevie. Present him his bride. Remind him of the alliance. We will see if he is our enemy or not."

Lord Un'qun protested "But the Avatar, she clearly said.." Now E'uin's tension got the better of him and he bellowed "Who rules here? The avatar? Or me? Are we like those humans to blindly follow faith? I pray we have more sense than that. Inform her Holiness of the latest news, and of my decision. The arrow can wait a few days, or there will be nothing left to save."
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thran nodded at what the men said and after they finished, he spoke to the King, as he regarded E'uin. "Sir, I will ride with 5 men and Elevie towards their army. I would like to take one of our banners though, for diplomatic means. Aside from that, I'd still like to first go and pay a visit to the temple, if you would not mind, and afterwards a small chat with you, in private, if that could be arranged." he said.

After Thran got his answer, he turned to Kormus, the dreaded man he didn't like yet, but did apologise to for his behaviour the other day, whether or not Kormus accepted it. "General Kormus, I know you and your Thorns are a close-knit unit. Yet I would like to ask one favour of you. Can I take Theorn along with me, if he wouldn't mind accompanying me on this quest?"

The adhiel still stood at attention, and awaited the next answer. After it was given, he asked E'uin for permission to leave and select the men that would ride with him.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

E'uin nodded and waved Thrandil away, his face filled with worry and his mind distracted by dark thoughts. He fully expected the Emerald Guard to discreetly remove himself.

General Komus looked up at Thrandil as he approached, lost as he was in his own thought. "No, though I would love to have one of my men with you, I cannot grant you Theorn. He has been assigned to other, equally important tasks." Without mentioning it the general assumed Thandril knew that if this diplomatic mission failed, it was akin to a suicide mission. Not something he would risk his best people for. As far as he was concerned talking to King Balthasar was a lost cause, and should be reserved for cannon fodder. He only regreted that the princess was send into danger as well.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

General Komus waited for a burn for a reaction from the Emerald Guard but when none was forthcoming he shrugged and made to leave.

OOC: I suggest you start a new thread :)

Return to “T'aquar Archive”