Palace: The Imperial Archives (ET, Sam 24)

Moderator: Mods

Grant
Retired Game Designer

Palace: The Imperial Archives (ET, Sam 24)

Post by Grant »

Opening at the northern wing of the Citadel was a five-storey library. A balcony extended the full length of the wall, with a grand staircase rising to the left and another descending to the right, and providing access to this level from either side. The vast open space before them provided a view of each level, rising up to a tinted glass dome at its apex. There was row upon row of dark wood bookcases, filled with tomes, scroll tubes, tablets and all manner of other materials that could hold the written word or image. At the bottom of this grand entry, were many desks and tables, some occupied while others were spread with all manner of materials, as if someone was in the process of studying their contents.

The Archives were empty at the mark...or perhaps due to some of the unusual occasions befalling the Citadel this eveningtide. No candles burned, no lamps were lit, but the soft, night sky filtered down over the vast chamber filling it with a soft, ghostly light. From the entrance, a small number of hallways exiting outward to chambers and cells used by the staff for whatever mundane tasks they had, though most of the Archive staff lived in the city surrounding the fortress.

No sound could be heard...and there was no movement at all, like a great, abandoned cathedral...and something about the floorplan of the place seemed...instantly recognizable, and soon enough Corbin found himself expecting the turns taken by Ailla as she lead him downward and to the main entrance of the area within the Fortress itself.
Maeve: It starts with ambition
Meridiuz: It ends with Grant
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin followed Ailla, generally in silence as she guided him all the way to the Archives. As Corbin entered the Archive he felt a warm sense of envy. This collection of books and knowledge was astounding. He longed to start pulling books of the wall and sit down and read through them all, but he felt that that longing was for a different Corbin - the Corbin of the safe Roque d'Ancourt, not the Corbin of the Citadel who had fought, and almost died, against a demon, who had scaled the wall of an Elven maidend and seen a different Elven maiden slip quietly and admirably to her doom. When he thought back on it, he knew without a shadow of a doubt that when he died, he wanted to die on his feet like Bregana, rather than cowering in a corner, or fleeing. Her death was so recent, and her loss still burned within him, but he knew that what he needed to take from it was inspiration. Perhaps he would be able to write to her family to let them know she had died heroically. He hoped he would, and he hoped her loss was not in vain.

He was following Ailla, his thoughts occupied and didn't initially notice the recognition of the route that was filtering into his mind. He had certainly never been here before - he would have definitely recognised this. So where did he know it from? He began to wrack his brain. Was it from the map? He groped his body for a moment, before pulling out the map that had been bestowed upon him by Professor Moore. Was it on here? He had spent so much time staring at the apparently inaccurate map that much of it had sank into his memory.

As a precaution, Corbin opened himself up to the Aether, taking control of the strings that were flowing around him in the room, and tried to divine any patterns, hints or lingering traces of people who had recently been here. Whilst it seemed quiet, he was not intent on being surprised.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

Indeed, since he had emerged from the Heart of Tribus...the curious, triangular room, the map had instantly come into it's own. It was a good representation of the lowest floor of the Citadel, the dungeons clear to see below them, and the strange catacombs through which he had entered nowhere upon them whatsoever...as if they never really existed. And here, the Imperial Archives were clearly marked...as well as the small area that had been tagged as strangely empty of activity or energy.

...and then he saw it. Corbin didn't need Ailla to show him where the Rosestone was...indeed, she wouldn't know, either...but below the lowest level of the archives themselves were a series of chambers designated for the Archive staff, and in one of those chambers was the stone. And even from this distance and through the heavy stone of the floor he could detect the Rosestone despite detecting nothing else through the floor, an area of pitch black void that was below him and to the right.

The Rosestone.

It wasn't a crisp sphere, but a hazy one...with an effect that dissipated as it reached further away from it's center. And what lay at it's center was certainly beyond Corbin, for it was as black and indomitable as anything to his attunement, black and obvious, as if it sucked the very Aether energy out of the world around it and left behind a black hole of almost chilling absolution.

"I...don't know what you're looking for. What we're looking for," murmured Ailla. "I hope it isn't a book..." she added, her eyes glancing over the countless volumes stored upon countless shelves upon give different levels of knowledge.
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin was puzzled - the Profesor had given him the map to help him in his search for the demon and it had been of absolutely no use at all. Yet it was of absolute use now that he was searching for the Rosestone - it guided him straight to it. The absence of magic that Professor Moore had been interested in appeared to be this Rosestone that he had been sent for.

It would appear they would have to keep going down again and he hoped Ailla wasn't as uncomrotable going further underground as Bregana would be. He fought away the pangs that recollections of his former colleague induced, and found that he was finding it easier to suppress these emotions which was promising. The thought of Bregana brought back a memory of something he had intended to ask her, but never got around to. He had needed a translation of what was on the necklace given him by his young Elven friend from the mansion.

"I'm not entirely sure what we are looking for either, but I'll know it when I see it. And I'm pretty sure it's not a book. We need to go down as far as we can in the Archives. And then go down further. There appear to be some chambers below the Archive and I think that is where the Rosestone is." Corbin announced. Could it be the chambers were specifically built to hold the Rosestone?

As they continued their descent, Corbin fished out the necklace than hung around his neck, took it off.

"Excuse me Sergeant," he said pleasantly "would you be so kind as to tell me what this says?" Corbin said, holding out his gold necklace to her. "It was a gift, but I do not speak, or read, the language and as such am at a loss as to its meaning."
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

The servant's quarters were actually below the main floor of the Archives, through one of the side hallways and down a flight of stairs that opened out into broad, columned hallways that held the chamber above upon their sturdy, thick trucks. As they moved...forward and to the right, Corbin could see the hallways ahead...he displayed the locket to the adhiel near him. It took Ailla only the most brief of glances to read and understand it.

"It says Adessa Anghiril. It's a named locket...it means nothing, save that the locket once belonged to...Adessa Anghiril..." she stopped, her tracks freezing for a moment. Adessa Anghiril?!? "I hope you didn't steal that, milord. Lord Tamrial Anghiril is the Lord Privy Seal of the Empire, and Adessa is his daughter...but they say she's bewitched and plagued and cursed, the poor creature, and Lord Anghiril does not bring her into public...ever. I don't know how you got that...I don't want to know...but it would be wise if you didn't show it to very many people..."

And indeed that would be wise. Lord Tamrial Anghiril was not only Lord Privy Seal of the Empire, but he was also a Knight of Kislovan and...rumor had it...a dreaded Firelord, a man who took Kislovan's festering racial division to extremes, going so far as to burn and lynch humans that become too troublesome in his homeland. Oh, he was rumored to be a fair and just man, all things considered...but like so many officers for the Empire of the Seven Isles, his was a loyalty that went second to the Empire...and first to Kislovan.

In moments, they had reached the intersection where they would turn right, the Rosestone just beyond one of the doors after the turn. But it was here they encountered...Mistress Tabeann, Mistress of the Imperial Archives. Corbin saw her as a regally aged woman of some advanced yahren...though still quite lovely...and where she stood she was dressed in only a simple vestment of off-white, a garment that might be appropriate for priests, clerks...or librarians, though hers was a more leisurely, casual choice given that she was the head of the Imperial Archives.

"Mistress Tabeann!" gasped Ailla, clearly surprised to see her. "Ah...Mistress Tabeann, this is..." Ailla didn't know Corbin's name. She might have been told, but in the suddenness of the moment she had forgotten. "Ah...sir, this is Mistress Tabeann, head of the Imperial Archives..."
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

So he had made the acquaintance, and made a favourable impression, on the daughter of the Lord Privy Seal of the Empire. A decidedly perilous situation to be in, and for the first time that day Corbin allowed a proper smile with feeling to crack on his face. Corbin had heard of Lord Anghiril, as would anyone who had an interest in current affairs. By all accounts he was not the most genteel or pleasant of characters - especially to non-elves and Corbin could now see why those rogues he had interrupted had been unleashing the amphibians on his house.

"Don't you worry Sergeant - this was merely a token bestowed for a good turn. I knew her name, but not what the writing meant." He said pleasantly as they walked onwards.

The apparently sudden appearance of Mistress Tabeann failed to take Corbin by surprise, and he bowed to her in greeting.

"It is my pleasure Mistress Tabeann, I am Corbin Dillon, of Rqoue d'Ancourt, and lately the University of Magic." Corbin said with a gracious tone - he had a split second to make the decision between bluffing and seeking her assistance, and he knew that one did not attain the rank she obviously had by being stupid or easily deceived.

"I am glad we have found you, we are on a most important task and I would be most grateful for any assistance you might be able to provide." He said with as much charm as he could muster.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

Ailla was amused...and clearly intrigued. "I think you're trouble, milord," she quipped silently, their pair's steps echoing through the vast hallway beneath the Archives as the pushed onward, moving with some speed. "And I think trouble suits you, perhaps...EEEP!"

The matriarch...her sudden presence catching the Sergeant off guard, merely accepted Corbin's introduction evenly. "Welcome to the Imperial Archives, Corbin Dillon. A most important task, is it? So long as you need not view Imperial Documents or our secured vaults, then I will speed you along directly. Although I suppose it was not...literature that brought you at all, was it?" Mistress Tabeann gave Corbin a critical look. A student in the Archives? Perhaps Barrett's and Rioja's Rosestone, she predicted, which would naturally create a problem. Better they should ask for Tal'Alkeen for all the willingness she had to part with her material...but still, if there were some great need, then it would be a need she would address.

"May I presume it is the RoseStone Artifact that brings you? I can scarcely imagine why you would be in a great hurry to inspect it, but I have known many a great mystery in my many yahren."
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

"You are most perceptive, Mistress." Corbin said pleasantly. "It is indeed the Rosestone we seek. There is an alarm in the Citadel and we have been commanded by the Major Domus to fetch the Rosestone. It is vital that we know as much as possible about it before we employ it." He said, the sense of urgency hinted beneath his calm words.

He did not know how she would react to this. The Rosestone was no doubt a reasonably precious item - hence its secluded location, and it was quite possible that the Mistress would not want to part with it, especially to two people who had arrived unannounced. He hoped he would be able to persuade her to assist them, for he could not see what other options presented themselves, or at least he could see a plethora of entirely mroe awkward options that he did not want to entertain for the moment.

"Perhaps we could talk as we seek it?" He asked.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"Of course. This way..." Mistress Tabeann motioned to the very door that Corbin knew would hold the magical anomaly of the Rosestone, pacing forward to one of the doors in the hallway. "The Major Domos is a pompous ass if he feels his title grants him the privilege to seize personal properties. The Rosestone is not held by the Empire, but it belongs to Master Threespan, my apprentice. However, I will loan the Rosestone to you on Barrett's behalf, Corbin Dillon, if the need is sufficient, for only then can I be certain that Master Threespan would accept such a thing. But I will loan it only to you, Dillon. It is not to leave your possession until you return it here to me. I will have your vow on this."

Tabeann stopped at the door and considered Corbin carefully. "It is not an...easy burden to bear, sir, as you will soon enough find out. Why do you seek the Rosestone? Are you studying it or have you some more...direct application?" she asked, as she unlocked the cell and pushed the door in, revealing a small room within dominated by a similarly small table that held the very same Rosestone at it's center, surrounded by papers and a few ledgers. There were no sources of light within, and the Rosestone was, despite it's legendary status, hardly anything great to look upon...little more than a curiously shaped quartz rock that took on the vague shape of a rose...but there was no mistaking it where it rested at the center of the room.
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin nodded gratefully as Tabeann led the way, and Corbin felt that it was most certainly the righ way. The Rosestone was pulling him towards it, well, perhaps not pulling but it was certainly making its presence known and Corbin could feel the power. Corbin let a smile briefly crack his face as Tabeann referred to the Domos as a pompous ass - she was, of course, correct. He had not struck Corbin with awe in their brief meeting. It was quite possible that he did not know that the Rosestone was the personal property of someone - he seemed to understandably have little knowledge of the item. But if he had known it, Corbin suspected that would not have interfered too much with his decision. Corbin brought his features under control, and swiftly the smile slipped from his face, and the normal and unemotional facade reappeared.

"You have my word, Mistress, that I will be in its presence until it is returned to you, or until I am lifeless." He said sternly. "But I do not think I can promise for it to be in my possession all the time - I have been told that only an Adhiel can handle it?" Corbin said, the statement also a question.

He paused before he answered her question as to the application of the Stone. But she was the Mistress of the Archives, she was no doubt party to many secrets which she kept. Besides it would not be long before most of the Citadel was aware of the goings on, unless of course they could stop the demon before it got too strong.

"There is indeed a direct application, Mistress. There is an entity that is lurking below The Citadel, though I fear it will not long stay below. It is a demon, a malevolent creature and it must be stopped but it has been resistant to our attempts to stop it so far, and it is growing stronger as we speak. It has been suggested by Lady Bannon that the Rosestone may be able to blanket the creature and remove some or all of its powers which would leave it vulnerable to assault. But I must confess that my knowledge of the stone is extremely limited and relies upon that which Lady Bannon has imparted to me. Any information you have about it would be most welcome, and may make all the difference in our coming struggle." Corbin had not intended a soliloquy when he started, but found himself giving in as he spoke, the words rolling from his tongue. He hoped to persuade Tabeann how imperative the task was, and he suspected that she would understand the necessity of the task, at least he hoped she would.

After he had spoken the stone itself became apparent to him. He was not sure what he had expected, but it was not what he saw. Perhaps a large jewel, shining with glory, or a perfectly sculpted stone mimicing a rose. But it appeared to actually be just a stone. It was obviously the stone, he could feel it. Perhaps Tabeann would be able to offer some insight.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

Mistress Tabeann smiled sweetly at Corbin. Oh, he told the truth, and that was refreshing in the Citadel...and she knew he spoke the truth, because she was quite adept at recognizing falsehood thanks to her rather unusual history. And he asked the appropriate questions. But the nature of his requirement was one that left her surprised for a moment, noticeably pausing her.

"Well. You are a student of the University, and therefore you must have a mind for logic. I will tell you what I know based on Barrett's research, but how this logic is applied is in your hands," she said. "First, be at ease regarding it's rumored danger to humans. The Rosestone has the same affect upon humanity as it does upon adhiel or any other race of Tazlure...including the birds, the plants, the very soil around it. The first of it's affects are what must have brought you to me, for you will notice that you have no power whatsoever. Try it, Corbin...try to see the Aether...and you will see nothing at all."

And indeed, it was true. There was simply...nothing there. In fact, Corbin knew he was attuned properly, but the Aether was gone, and he could not even see it in any distance. It was as if his own magic had been robbed from him, rendering him...mundane. Powerful it might have been...but the nature of it's power was something with which he had never before experienced, a complete lack of power, and an affect that reached out all around the stone, like a mystical load stone that rendered the power of the Aether...out of existence.

"The Stone acts as a seal, isolating the Tether. No spell, ward, hex, or enchantment can survive the passing of a Rosestone, for it sunders all Aetheric connections, and it irrevocably denies the Aether from touching the Tether in any way. The same might be said for...other forms of power...or other planes of existence," she declared, reaching forward to touch a finger to the rosestone with something that Corbin would recognize as reverent awe. She knew so much more about it, too...about how they were to be used when the adhiel race was collected in the desert of Amun Rah to challenge a God himself. Indeed, whatever evil Corbin faced, the Rosestone would make it vulnerable. It was the ultimate tool to battle that which was not...natural...to the Tether.

"But there is a price to it's influence, Corbin Dillon. Even now as we three stand before it, our very souls are cut off, trapped within ourselves and within the Tether. This is no great danger, but it gives our bodies to advance in their...natural progression of life. For every tide the Rosestone lies near, you will age an entire season, Corbin. For every day, a full yahren. And you will not survive the sudden aging if you expose yourself overlong. As you can see, even though this affect is consistent between human and adhiel, it is the adhiel race that has...so very many yahren to spare..."
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin struggled for a flicker to stop himself from recoiling from the stone, and with difficulty mastered himself. A look of concern flashed across his brow as Tabeann revealed the secret behind the stone. If he had it but for a day he would lose a yahren. He didn't have that many to play with at all, and he could now understand why Adhiel generally handled it - as the Mistress quite rightly pointed out - they had the yahren to play with. For a mere moment, Corbin thought about giving the his Adhiel escort and having her walk in front of him, independently. But it was only for a moment, and his thoughts disgusted him and he put them down to a tired mind and a fatigued body. As Tabeann had said, the stone was for him to bear and he could not shirk his responsibility. It truly was a powerful item, and could turn the battle against the demon in their favour. But what was obvious was their need to get it to the University quickly so that they could assault the demon with all speed. Though from what Tabeann said, it seemed likely that the final assault would have to be physical rather than magical, but that was something they could discuss later.

"I thank you for your words of advice, Mistress. It truly is a powerful tool - and one to be employed quickly. It would appear we have no time for rest or consideration. I must bring this to Professor Moore at the University and hope that he will know what to do with it - it is likely we will descend once more within the day to do battle with this creature. You have my word that I will deliver this back to you once we have despatched the fell creature." Corbin said, then paused. "Might I advise you that you secure the Archives and abandon the Citadel for the moment?" Corbin asked. "Our sucess is by no means guaranteed, and it is possible the demon shall advance into the Citadel, if it has not done so already. I would not have you at unnecessary risk, esepcially after your help." He said.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

Tabeann paused, her eyes turning hard for a moment. There were so many things she might say...so many arguments regarding the dangers in Corbin's approach. But she dismissed them...she did not understand the full nature of his task or his obligations, and she would not interfere. Still, she would offer at least one piece of advise, and hope that Corbin was certain of his actions. "It is well...I release the Rosestone to you. Just remember, sir. Everything of the magical world fails to it's touch. You will be powerless while you carry it, and so too will those that stand near you. I am only an Archivist, so I defer to your judgement in it's handling."

"Milady, as Cor...Master Dillon has indicated, it would be wise were you to evacuate..." emphasized Ailla, clearly anxious to be away. For reasons unknown to her, the presence of the stone was...uncomfortable, like the air itself became heavy and oppressive around her and brought out her breathing in labored, forced gasps.

Waving off the Guardswoman, Tabeann nodded. "Of course, I will do as you ask. Once you've departed with the stone, I will insure my staff are away and seal the archives. Now do not hesitate with me another moment, Corbin. Good luck, and remember not to keep the Stone overlong. It's affects will be...horrifying upon you at any length," she said, stepping away and leaving the infamous artifact for Corbin to take and depart.
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin made a mental note of her words of advise - everything of the magical world would fail. Perhaps a change in plan was needed. He couldn't bring it to the University of Magic - who knew what havoc that would create in the University. He had to consult with Professor Moore, and perhaps other of the wizards, but it could not be done in the University. They must come to him, or more correctly they must be brought to him. Then another thought struck him. The Citadel's mages had erected barriers to stop the demon - if he wandered through the Citadel he might bring them down and unleash the demon on the Citadel. For a moment a wave of fatigue crashed through his body - who was he to make these decisions? He'd been at the University for days, how should he know what to do? It was not bloody fair. He raised his head and caressed his forehead, dipping his head to gaze at the floor for a moment. When he raised his head again, the forthright look was back on his face. It may not be fair, but it was necessary. He was here now, and it was his duty to do his best to protect the Citadel, and who knew what else from this demon and if he had to give up yahren of his life, or even the whole of it then he would. He must lead by example.

Corbin bowed to the Mistress, truly grateful for her words and her concerns.

"I am much obliged to you, Milady. I hope that I shall be able to return it to you in a less than horrifying state. I have yet to make my debut in The Citadel's society, and I do not intend to be a grey haired youngling when I do." He said, cracking a smile as he joked. "Until then, I wish you the best of luck."

With that he turned with Ailla and left the room. He could tell by her disposition that she was not comfortable - and he was reasonably sure the stone was a contributory factor to that. He too felt strange, worse than that - the new found magical power had deserted him. He was suddenly very glad for the sword at his side and the lessons he had had with it.

He stopped Ailla with a touch on her shoulder.

"Ailla, you must do me a great service. I can not bring this stone to the University to discuss it. The risk is too great. I shall take it too...." He paused, where the devil was he meant to take it? He could not take it away from the University. If he did he could be exposing the Public to the powers of the stone. "I must remain here, in the Archives. You must find Professor Moore at the University and deliver him this message with all speed, minutes are now imperative. Advise him that the demon took Bregana, that I am in the Citadel archives with a rosestone - explain to him its properties if he does not know them, and impress upon him the fact that it advances ones age at a very fast rate and its negatory powers of all magic. Tell him the demon must be confronted immediately, that it is far stronger than we thought. It has the ability to posess people, it can invade their minds and appears mostly as a gelatinous creature. He must bring whoever he things necessary to combat this demon." Corbin said sternly and quickly. He hope dthat Ailla being a Purple Guardswoman had a good memory for details such as this "Can you do this for me?" He asked in earnest.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"I will take your message, but the Major Domos has ordered an evacuation of the Citadel," replied Ailla evenly as the paced out of the archives. "Even if they could respond, sir, they would not be allowed inside without his approval. It could be morningtide before he allows that. And I have my orders, Dillon, and those orders are to get you out of the Citadel as well."

Ailla was perhaps torn. She didn't know what had to happen...and from what she had seen, no one knew what had to happen. Still, something was wrong...and when they stopped, she finally put voice to her concerns. "Corbin...you're carrying the Rosestone. If you gathered up all the strongest mages of the world to you now, you would render them useless. I'm no wizard myself, but it's a pretty fair bet that they can't help you so long as you hold that thing..." she glanced down at the stone critically. The Rosestone was not large, but it was extraordinarily heavy, far heavier than it's modest, grapefruit size would suggest.

"If you took the stone back to the Major Domos, and he collects the mages there, again, all you'll do is render them powerless. Are you sure you even need that thing?" she finished, glancing down at the rust-red quartz one last time.
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

It was deuced troublesome. There was no-where that they could go that was safe, some people would be affected by this Stone. He nodded slightly at Ailla, he guessed that it was probably for the best that they quit the Citadel, and he would not argue now - it was not worth the effort.

"As you wish, let us move with haste though." He said, and picked up the pace to a fast walk, resisting the urge to run. "I understand what you say - this will remove the power of the mages, but not their knowledge. That is why we must speak with Professor Moore and his colleagues - they will have a better idea of how to combat this demon. If they don't need the stone, then that is fine - we can return it and descend to meet the foe. However, the demon is incredibly powerful - if we can remove its power then it can be combatted with physical means - our numbers will count, and a large body of well-trained soldiers should be able to either kill it or drive it from this plane. Once that is done the stone can be removed and the rift can be closed. That, at least, is the general plan that I have, but I need to consult with my Professor."

He paused for a moment, the plan still seemed to him to be the best they had. A picked group of soldiers and mages to descend into the caverns to hunt this beast - once they found it the Stone would theoretically render the demon powerless and vulnerable to an assault. Theoretically. Of course it was possible that Professor Moore could lead a group of mages to hunt and destroy the demon without the need for the Stone, but that was why he needed to consult with him.

"We must discuss it with Professor Moore." He affirmed, his stride still swift and determined despite the heavy weight he carried. "Perhaps you should go on ahead to seek the Professor." Corbin suggested to her - he knew he would not be able to travel as swiftly as her after his recent exertions, and the weight of the Stone - plus he felt it unfair to expose her to the malevolent influence of the Stone.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

Ailla gave Corbin one last look of strong uncertainty. Of course she was uncertain. She had no idea what was about to happen, or what needed to happen...but she was certain that the Rosestone had changed things completely since he had first touched it. Nodding once to him, she raced off to do just that...to find these University Lectors and deliver his message. She might first check in with the Major Domos...update him on events...but she didn't know what to say, much less how to inform him she left Corbin behind...

So she would have to delegate. She would send someone else to update the Major Domos, and she would carry on to the University herself, though it was unlikely anyone would be awake at this mark. She could always throw around authority, but her rank wouldn't take her far. No, it was likely Corbin was in for a very, very long night.

With a demon.

And so Corbin was left alone, standing in the Imperial Archives. It was Mistress Tabeann who found him next. "Gods above, are you still here?" she called from down the hall, her habit shifted and a bag in her hand. She approached with every appearance of astonished curiosity, watching Corbin's face to insure he had not already begun to suffer from the Stone's...unusual affects.
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin nodded as Ailla went off. He hoped that Professor Moore would arrive soon, or another Professor. Or anyone who might be able to make an informed decision of what action should be taken. It was not a decision Corbin wanted to take.

He turned round as he heard the voice of Mistress Tabeann, it was a reassuring voice and Corbin half-wished that she would tell him the best plan of action, though he was aware that she knew nothing about what was happening this night.

"I'm afraid so, Mistress." He said. "I am making my way out, but I must admit that this Stone is heavier than I expected and I am slightly wearied by my recent activities. I am making my way out, but I have sent my companion on ahead to fetch my Professor. I hope to meet him outside The Citadel, or between here and the University. Obviously I can't take the Stone there - who knows what havoc that would cause, and I don't want to affect other people with this Stone's powers. By the way, do you know what the radius of the Stone's effect is? Is it quite small, or a wide area? It could be very important when combatting the demon." He asked her, everything he could learn about this stone could be important.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"No I don't. Barrett would have detailed notes and observations, but he's away," replied the matriarch evenly. Of course, the nature of Threespan's departure was one of the more curious and secretive of errands, and while Mistress Tabeann could speculate for marks and marks, she had no great desire to waste time on uninformed hearsay or rumor. Still, she knew to expect her apprentice back soon, and no doubt he might be at leisure to share with her a few hints regarding the nature of his trip. "Regardless of what you choose to do with the Stone, Corbin, you must do it...outside the Archives. I am charged with their safety and protection, and so long as you remain, so I must remain. And I don't wish to remain. So I must kindly beg you to depart immediately so I can seal them properly," she added, only subtly hiding her real concerns.

Many that worked in the Archives were Aurelians, of course, and Mistress Tabeann was in the same practice whether physically or spiritually. The idea of a monster loose in the Citadel was shocking enough...but to risk the same creature invading the Archives and destroying the knowledge stored within was perhaps similar in her mind to the End of the Known World. Such an atrocity would be inexcusable, indecent, and horrible, and she would happily surrender her life and any number of other lives...including Barrett, Kordan, and even this Corbin Dillon...to see to it that such a fate was avoided. That was the nature of any adherent of Aurelius, and it was largely the reason behind their preferred appointment to the Imperial Archives.

"I will have you consider this, Corbin. If the Major Domos has ordered an evacuation of the Citadel, then your Professor will not be allowed into the fortress, so it's unlikely you'll meet him here. Perhaps you might meet him at the gates, and perhaps you might convince the guards to let them pass? I can't imagine how you could accomplish this, though. The Citadel Garrison is...unaccustomed to disobeying a direct order from the Major Domos even in the worst of circumstances, and their orders to evacuate leave little room for negotiation if indeed this was the order," she postulated, though she knew little of Lord Azarin's order. She was, however, a very astute woman, and she learned as much through observation and logic as she might from interrogation or conversation. "No go and find the gates. If any action will be taken in the Citadel this eveningtide, it will be decided there. I must ward the archives, and I can't do that while you're here with that."
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin listened patiently to the Mistress' words, and he could see then as being true - it may be difficult to get back into the Citadel, but there were ways around it, be it getting official permission from the Domos or persuasion.

"I am sure that when these problems are encountered we shall find a way past them - I just hope they are the worst that we shall face before I return this stone to you, but I fear they will not be. But until then I shall bid you farewell, and take this stone elsewhere." He said with a nod to the Mistress, and with that he turned and began to walk as swiftly as he could without running and with the encumberance of the stone. He heeded the advice of the Mistress, primarily because he had little else to do at this moment in time, and paced in the direction of the Gates - that would naturally be the direction from which the mages would come, if they came.

As he walked, he paid particulat attention to his surroundings - he did not want the demon coming upon him unawares. It was quite possible the demon was nowhere near, but he was not willing to take that chance - he had seen how quietly and deftly it could approach, and he did not know how many of the creatures abilities would be blocked by this stone.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

In moments, Corbin was beyond the Archives leaving Mistress Tabeann to seal them in whatever way she could. It would be perhaps hopeless, but like all wards in the Citadel, they could at least confine and hopefully slow the creature and keep the city safe for a time, and for the archives themselves, they might serve to dissuade the monstrosity from destroying the documents held within. Such a loss would be a horrible tragedy to the Empire as well as to Tabeann herself, and she would happily defend the chambers with her bare hands if necessary...but her own devotions gave her perhaps more options to see to their safety.

Pacing through the halls of the Palace, Corbin didn't know what to expect from the building. He wouldn't know that the halls were unusually dark and empty, for in times past the Citadel was alive with activity even in these very late marks. Now it was not unlike hell itself, with it's dark, stern stone reaching up to a gloomy ceiling shrouded in shadow, with few candles left burning to light the way down it's lengthy and often enough jagged corridors. What few souls Corbin could see were moving to the same gates as he, each carrying what items they considered too valuable to leave behind....clerks with reams of paper, chambermaids with assorted treasures and garments, and even soldiers carrying far too many weapons and tabards. They migrated to the Palace Gates and through the courtyard beyond at ragged, uneven intervals as the Citadel Palace was evacuated, at least during the current crisis.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Skilled by a rosestone.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.

Return to “The Citadel proper Archive”