Amun Rah (closed)

Moderators: Syra, Dartimos Hammer, Mods

Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Amun Rah (closed)

Post by Maeve »

The wonderful, dry, superstitious and oppressed land of Amun Rah captures the imagination with its xenophobia towards foreigners, the open slave trade, the Amunic magic based on their forefathers, and the sandcaves. Vast deserts make up the majority of the isle of Amun Rah. It is along the shores of Mu-at and in the Emphalis delta that most of Amun Rah life, under the reign of the Rafao, finds a place for itself
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Entrance Thread -- Foreigner's Court -- Abu`Sahir

The central square, grand and just north of the city center, is called Foreigner's Court. And this is for a good reason; it is here that visitors of Abu`Sahir are expected to report to the Desert King's Magistrate, and it is on this square that all foreign delights can be tasted.

Stalls here sell imported goods at such a price that the average commoner could hardly pay for them. Smiths born in another nation work the rare metal here, creating weapons unfamiliar to this culture, and charging a fortune for them. Citadel delicacies, common on the streets there, are sold here for those whose mouth is homesick and whose purse is too fat; inns are styled in the way of this or that country, offering luxury at the wrong price. All in all, Foreigner's Court is a cacophony of sights and sounds, and a haven for all those who are new to the land.

After being throroughly impressed by the surrounding atmosphere the Magistrate speaks up from his podium at you: "Name and reason for venturing to the Rafao's land, please." Grumbled the short and beared man with a raspy voice. He was baldheaded but adorned long whiskers that almost reached his sandaled feet. For clothing he wears a simple white toga like outfit meant to keep him cool. Gold embroidery raced around the edges of his tunic and he stares hard with cold blue eyes. "Come on then, I haven't all tide..." His dark wrinkled skin seems to have seen more days of sun than the sands themselves as he awaits a response.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The Royal Barracks -- Guard barracks and signup

Located just east of the Foreigner's Square is the royal barracks. Here, the men and women who serve in Amun Rah's city guard and army make their home. The complex is divided into several sections, including three training grounds, three different sleeping halls, three mess halls, an officer's keep, and two staff rooms. City watch, standing army and the slave members of both each have a different part to themselves, except when the slave in question is an officer - those get to sleep and live in the officer's keep.

The barracks, made of imported black rock, are a spartan building, with an armory that bears the traditional weapons of the country. Few armors are found here at all, as the army and watch are unaccustomed at wearing them, and would rather not, in such heat.

Visitors and staff alike enter through the gate and main hall, where staff may freely pass, but a sergeant approached any who are visiting. "Hello, may I assist you in something?" His voice was curt and no-nonsense. He was a 'right down to business' type of man, which made him perfect for the job as he carried a board upon which a several layers of parchement were affixed.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Anurith's Golden Ram -- Tavern

This tavern, located in the very center of Abu`Sahir, is patronized by the upper layer of commoners, merchants, as well as the lesser nobility of the city. Adorned with gold paint and alight with a thousand candles, it is usually near full, with servants hurrying to keep up with the crowd's demands. A band of regular musicians plays instruments specific to Amun Rah's culture; to these swaying tunes, girls that are perfectly formed dance in costumes that don't have enough fabric in them to qualify for the state of 'dressed' in any proper circles of nobility. Honeyed spirits, dried spiced meats, and fruit are the common courses here, although a more substancial meal is available when requested.

The tender is Yabal, a large man who keeps his head shaved. A polite smile is ever present on his lips, at least until some patron wears his patience to thin, in which case he demonstrates admirable skill in Amun Rah's very own Flowing Sand style of martial arts. None of his servants are female, except for the ones who dance. When approached about payment for some time with one of the girls, Yabal will happily offer his sheep instead, for half price. After which most drop off, confused or disgusted.

It was into this environment that you stumbled. "Hello, can I get ye a mead?" Yabal asked, his demeanor open and friendly. The sparkled gold sequins of the dancing girls reflects the candle light and the little dots of light race around the walls of the room, almost hypnotically.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The Amunic Simbahan -- High Temple of Anasis and Uphuron

A high structure, towering over all but the royal palace, sits in the very center of the city. Made of obsidian, jade, pearl, marble and black granite, it is a building the sight of which few ever forget. Grand and ornate, impressive and expensive, it is one of Tazlure's great wonders.
The famous Black Stairs, through which run red veins of discoloured jade, lead visitors three floors into the air before delivering them at two gigantic gates. The left, large and golden, depicts Uphorun as he is creating the world; the right, a blue gemstone creation, shows Anasis as she gifts rain unto the Amon Sabhaya.

The Doors of Uphorun lead to another flight of stairs, these down into the ground. Here, back at the floor level, lies the true temple to Uphorun, illuminated by a thousand torches, and by light through especially placed windows. It is a sombre place, cheerless and solemn. A huge altar made of obsidian lies before several tapestries that show the deeds and truths of the Master of Sands.

The Doors of Anasis lead down another flight of stairs, to the temple of Anasis. Given many colours and many windows, this place if always cool and alight with fires. Many statues and murals fill the room, giving an almost crowded impression even when the temple is almost deserted. Anasis' shrine is large and shaped as though it is flowing water.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

Palace of the Desert King

The magnificent structure, built of solid gold and reinforced with ancient magics and now extinct kinds of wood, lies in the middle of an ariticial and crocodile-infested lake. Reachable only by a large golden bridge called the Sacred Path, and a small earthen road besides it. Only the Desert King and his priests may follow the Sacred Path; others must walk the earthen road.

Due to many torches all across the palace, the structure continually shines, its gold giving a soft glow to the sky and the buildings in its vicinity. It is because of this shining that the city has been named the Desert Jewel, and that the people of the palace are referred to as the Golden People.

Within the palace itself, few ever go. Because audiences are held in the Golden Square and feasts are never attended by any but those of noble or sacred blood, almost nobody who lives within the city actually knows what the palace interior is like. Only the Desert King, his six high priests, and the royal guard could say. Not to say it's impossible to get into, there are always ways. It's just a matter of finding one.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The Golden Square

This place is surrounded by solid golden statues of Amun Rah's Ancestors of the Realm, thus earning its name. Round, wide, and easily able to accomodate a thousand people, it lies before the Sacred Path, which leads up to the Desert King's palace. It is here that the king summons the thousand most fortunate citizens of the great city when he has a public announcement, and it is here that the free people of Amun Rah may come between the fifth and sixth hours each day, to speak to their leader and archpriest, and to be present as the Rites of Passing are performed to mark the fifth and sixth hours of the day.

During the gravetide market, while the slaves meander around Foreigner's Court, and get a chance to meet with one another, and don't have their master watching over them, the Golden Square becomes rather busy. This is because many hand-fasting ceremonies take place, it's open and accomates a good many people, and being empty at night, it is the perfect location.

Outside of those marks, the square is usually deserted, with only a few royal guards to prevent people from walking on the Sacred Path. One such guard seems to always be around. His left eye is obscurred by a wicked scar, but it was one he gained while protecting his leader, so he wears it with pride.
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The Slave Quarter

Located in (and encompassing most of) the southern part of the city, this section appears slightly poorer than the rest Abu'Sahir. All buildings here are made of stone, just like everywhere else, but most are devoid of engravings and decorations that are found often enough outside the slave quarter. Additionally, only stone was used in the construction here, while the rest of the city also had the somewhat rare material of wood used.

This, then, is the slave quarter. No chains, no extra city guards, no bald men walking around in leather aprons, carrying black whips. The people here seem just like everybody else, even if some of them are poorly dressed. The whole quarter gives the impression that those who live here do so simply, but with pride of their own home.

A young man in his early twenties, sits on one of the stone steps infront of a rabbled building, and carves busily on a piece of wood. He had found it, and finders keepers was the rule of life here. It wasn't overly large, but he whittled it none-the-less, and it was starting to take on the form of a camel sitting down. His dark brown eyes looked up at those who passed by. Just by looking at him in his torn tan breeches and once-white shirt, he belonged.

Return to “Kislovan Archive”