Samheen 27th - A Cat for a Mouse

Moderator: Mods

Lir Calysta Markby
Civus

Samheen 27th - A Cat for a Mouse

Post by Lir Calysta Markby »

Lir growled, her cheeks puffed up in anger as she searched the entire common room. Where the fuck are you? She thought as she kept searching for the furry nemesis. Her violet eyes caught a movement close to the fire place and she tried to intercept the quadruped that seemed faster than her. She was two seconds away from grabbing her knife and thrusting it into the unsuspecting back of the mouse as it escaped death by broom. It ran into a crack in the wall by the fire place and her expression darkened. I can't have these rodents running around leaving little fecal gifts for me and my patients mostly me...

She tapped the broom against the crack and stood close by with the broom ready to trap the mouse but seemed to know that it would be foolish if it did. I can't waste my day trying to kill one rodent, and where there is one, there is bound to be more. She had made a decision. "A cat. A grouchy mouse hunter." She murmured as she grabbed her leather backpack and leather hat. She put the hat on her head, her thick hair was tied by a leather strap.

The leather backpack had a variety of herbs as well as torn strips of cotton as well as a small kit of needles and thread. Lir was dressed in brown leather pants, dusty black boots, a dark brown leather jerkin, and a white billowy shirt. A black patch covered the left eye which she seemed to be used to by now having worn it for roughly 4 years now. It was more of an act but also it was of a moment in her past that she kept as a reminder of an event that only she and her mentor knew of.

In another time she would have been known as a flawless beauty except for the black eye patch and perhaps if she smiled every once and awhile. Instead, her gaze might bore holes through anyone that was willing to give the healer trouble. Today was an errand. She needed to keep her home rodent free especially while she was away for work. There are stray cats everywhere, but what if it does more damage that outweighs its usefulness? She was determined and had made sure to her dagger and knives on hand in case of trouble and headed towards the docks to look for her next looting trip as well as a tom cat that was willing to be hired on by her. If there is no luck, a trip to the Onyx might be more fruitful.
Beautiful avatar by [url=http://nairohe.deviantart.com/]Nairohe![/url] ^_^

Post by Guest »

Perhaps it was due to that piercing gaze she shot towards any who got ideas of approaching her, or perhaps it was simply down to pure luck, but Lir did managed to find her way towards the docks without encountering any trouble at all. True, she did receive the odd bawdy comment from one docked pirate or another, but then that was only to be expected from a place such as Nether’s Gate.

The docks would prove a familiar sight to the healer, the almost invisible boundary between water and land providing a recognisable landscape for the woman as she approached. As per usual, a number of vessels had been docked here, each with an even more insinuating name than the last, but these were not the reason for which she had came. Stray cats could understandable be found about this place on what was quite a frequent basis, but today it appeared that good fortune was simply not on the healer’s side. Where she did not want a cat, she would see many, and yet now that she wanted to find one, they had all managed to come down with an acute case of timidity.

A brief and luckless look up and down the wharf would reveal nothing, though a slightly more thorough one would grace Lir with the sight of one feline in particular, the brownish colour of its scruffy fur marking it as almost indistinguishable from the wooden planks below on which it sat. It had chosen one of the protruding docks as a makeshift seat, its tail swishing from side to side in time with a drunken sea shanty garbled out by a nearby pirate, slumped against a pile of crates and rope. Staring down into the murky waters below, it looked to be fascinated with something which lay therein, unmoving as its rapt gaze held firm, unwavering.

How, though, was she supposed to catch a cat that by nature was a stray? Would it be a simple case of “Here, kitty, kitty, kitty…” or something much grander? The decision as to what to do was Lir’s to make, if this cat even happened to be one that she wanted.
Lir Calysta Markby
Civus

Lir felt that Krynsathis had distracted Ithrainne as she was not harassed on her way to the docks. It was good to put people in their place so she would be able to walk more freely. She frowned darkly as her thoughts flittered across more unpleasant memories and then she shook herself out of it and on the task on hand.

Of course, when she got to the docks she left off a string of expletives. "Perhaps, I spoke too soon. It was an illusion that I was not under the shadow of Ithrainne. Of all the times, I decide to hunt for a mangy cat, I find none, have all the pirates thought to become domesticated or is something stealing cats for a stew?" She continued to grumble as she looked through everything. Knowing the docks well enough, she stepped around unusual spots as well as the vagabonds that were found along the walkway that had moved their way up from the Stews.

Her persistence finally panned out as she eyed a brownish feline. She was curious as she watched the cat swishing it's tail in rhythm to a roughen drunk's sea shanty and looking down at the water. She cautiously moved towards the edge parallel to where the cat lingered but far enough not to spook the animal to see what held the cat's attention.

She did curse again at her stupidity for not getting a net or something to catch a feline but also the promise of food was the easiest of incentives for a stray...stray animal as well as vagrant. She tried to determine of the cat was wily or not very bright. She assumed that the actions of the cat would definitely determine if the cat would be worthy to be brought under her care. She did not want the cat to be an even bigger problem than the mice.

Lir caught sight of a pile of crates and rope. A trap came to mind, but first she had to make sure the cat did not belong to anyone, and secondly, it would be smart enough to be a good mouse catcher.

Post by Guest »

Looking down into the murky waters below, the cat was apparently preoccupied with something which was moving around down there- to Lir’s eyes, something living, and caught within the rushes- a fish, perhaps, or some other poor mite wriggling about like no one’s business. It was hard to tell in those dirty depths, but the cat was completely focussed on it nevertheless, green eyes never leaving it for a flicker as the thing continued to move about below. Likely it was because of the water and the distance between them, but the feline made no move to reach for the object, even though it might have wished to. Tail continuing to swish, and every now and then the cat would make to rise, before allowing that plan to subside as it made a decision for the better and sat right back down again.

When Lir had approached it graced her with an indifferent gaze, as cats were wont to do, but otherwise ignored her, deeming her as insubstantial in the grander scheme of things. A scheme which apparently involved moving objects caught within bodies of water. Whether this was a sign of intellect or not was for the healer to decide- the feline looked to be pretty apathetic concerning <I>that</i> either way. If anything at least it was not diving headlong into the water in pursuit of its prey.

The washed-up pirate who had previously been singing a particularly bawdy sea shanty ceased in his vocal abusing just at the point when a particularly voluptuous maiden was going to take off her shirt as he noticed Lir standing there.

“Avaste, little lady. What be ye standin’ thar for? Shouldn’t ye be gettin’ yerself back to the brothel? Or did ye come ’ere specially to give me a little company, eh?”

He was a shoddy looking thing, and eyed Lir’s shape quite openly, oblivious to any hard stares she might have given him in exchange through his drunkenness. If she wanted to set a trap for the brownish cat then she was free to do so, albeit to the potential discontent of this drunken swab, or else she could wander off to look for another mouse-catcher instead. The choice was up to her.
Lir Calysta Markby
Civus

Lir was concentrating on the cat as much as the cat was on the object in the water. She noticed the cat's actions and then when she moved closer she would give the cat enough wits to not run off too quickly. The woman figured the cat and quite a bit of nerve to know she was not a threat. The indifferent gaze from the cat definitely put a spark in Lir's eye and perhaps even patience for the thing in the water. This did give her a bit of hope that the this cat would be the likely choice to appoint as head mouse-catcher in her home.

The dark haired woman heard the shanty stop and grimaced before she heard his crude words. She turned towards the washed up pirate and in a commanding voice barked, "Belay that talk! Use your blurry deadlights, matey! Do I looks to be one that comes from a brothel?" She asked coldly and smirked a she sized up the smelly drunk.

Then a wicked smile appeared upon her lips as her purple eye sharpened towards an idea, "I suppose the drink has yer 'eart more than any woman?" She said to the man as she crossed her arms akimbo for a moment as she looked down at the pirate and took a more relaxed stance. She curbed her tongue of all the thousands of curses that came to mind but instead opted for something more amusing and perhaps even lucative, "You may be able to get something much more than a kick to the face...perhaps splice the mainbrace?" She clucked her tongue to the roof of her mouth, "Nay, I doubt ye'll be able to do what I was to receive that Clap of Thunder." She made to walk away, but she laid out the bait. She ignored the lewd stares and the slobbering that might had occured but refrained from rolling her eyes at the poor disposable being.

"If ye are interested in the grog, ye must keep your foul mouth to yourself. Unless you wish to lose any important limbs," as she eyed his crotch and then smirked, "Or I can sew your mouth shut so ye won't have grog or the pleasure of your own shantys to entertain the birds."

Her plan was to bait him with booze, and to make him catch the cat. This would give her enough action to see how the cat would react and if the man catches it, a cold, hard rum, if he failed, it would still be amusing to see the cat thrash him thoroughly for her and she might just by the rum for the man even if he lost. If he accepted, she would tell him his task, "Capture that cat." If he did not accept her bait, she would have to make another plan to test and capture the cat.
saskia
Game Designer
Game Designer

Post by saskia »

"Ahw, me lady" the drunk stuttered "I was not meaning anything, mind yer. Just some friendly conversations.."

He licked his lips, in anticipation of a drink, looking at her hands, pockets and backpack, scanning for hidden stacks of booze while he crept closer.

"I knew you were a real friendly lady right when i seen you!" he drooled, holding out one grubby hand in expectaion.
[size=100][color=red] It takes a red-headed woman, to get a dirty job done[/size][/color]

[size=84]Bruce Springsteen[/size]

[size=75]http://www.dreslough.com[/size]
Lir Calysta Markby
Civus

The dark-haired healer noticed the drunken pirate eyeing her and stepping forward, does he think I keep it on hand?, as if she was dumb enough to carry a jug of rum around with her, it was like pouring honey over herself and sitting on top of a ant hill.

Lir smirked, "I don't think ye wants to know how friendly my blade is if you take another step towards me." Her eyes never left the man's as he crept closer to her. "Now will ye do as I say, or would ye want to take a swim in the Mer?" There was always the promise of a good bath that would often cause people to grimace and stop what they were doing.

The drool that started around his mouth sort of made her stomach turn and as he drew closer the smell of booze was even more noticeable. "Smartly! The cat is over there." She pointed towards the brownish feline and waited.

Her hand was resting on one of the handles of her daggers. She was preparing herself for any possible trouble that the drunkard would give her. You never knew with pirates.
saskia
Game Designer
Game Designer

Post by saskia »

the drunk sat on hands and knees for quite some time. Weighing his chances and opportunities. On the one hand there was the promised drink he needed so badly.
On the other hand were a mean looking cat, and an even meaner looking woman.
He looked from her, to the cat, and back. "Are you sure about that drink? I want a full bottle if I have to grab that cat. It looks like it's got some disease" he said, leaving Lir to wonder who would be the most hazardous to whom..

Slowly he crawled in the direction of the cat mumbling "Here kitty..come on kitty..I'll be nice to you...the loverly misstress is gonna feed you !!"

the cat crept back, one green eye on Lir, and one on the drunk, making it look a bit silly and cross-eyed..
[size=100][color=red] It takes a red-headed woman, to get a dirty job done[/size][/color]

Lir Calysta Markby
Civus

A violet eye took in the scene of cat and man. Who will succeed? She nodded and grunted gruffly, "Aye, I am very sure, and ye can have a bottle once I get that cat." Disease? As if he knew. She watched the washed up pirate going after the cat.

She watched to see if the cat was infected with anything that would cause problems. Lir did not move any closer to the cat or man, but she watched for any foaming at the mouth, any kind of rash or something that would cause concern of disease.

The look on the cat alone threatened to cause giggles in the pirate healer, but she bit her lip and watched on. Man or beast...who will win out?
saskia
Game Designer
Game Designer

Post by saskia »

There were most certainly traces of foaming, and a severe rash around the whiskers, but since they were on they man, and not the cat, Lir did not have to worry much.

During the conversation the cat stretched, looked a Lir, close one eye for a moment and started to wash her behind with lots of slurping, sniffing and stretching of paws.

The drunk sensed a chance and crawled slowly towards the cat. wether he did this because he thought this was the best tactic, or because he was too drunk to walk remained a mystery. But he managed to get nearer to the cat, who was still doing her washing. Doing so, she managed to creep slower to the waters edge.

Finally the drunk figured he was close enough, and he jumped for the cat, his hands forward, his arms stretched his mouth in a victorious grin as the cat managed to slip out of his grab.
His grin changed into a howl as he tumbled over the edge and into the water, making the cat move again to avoid getting wet.

Lir found herself between a grinning cat, and a spluttering drunk, who did not seem to swim very well...

Lir Calysta Markby
Civus

This is not going to be pretty. She thought as he crept close to edge to jump on the cat. She winced as she heard a splash as the drunk went into the drink. A hand came up to her mouth to press against her lips to suppress the laughter that threatened to escape. Although with this amusing distraction, she hoped it was all she needed to accomplish her goal to catch the wily cat.

The young ship healer had taken her leather backpack off her shoulder. She opened it quickly and checked that most of the items in her bag were protected in their own leather containers. Anything that the cat could destroy wrapped in leather cloth. I hope this works.

Lir moved with as silent a step she could manage to the grinning cat and hopefully before the cat would notice, she wanted to try to catch the cat by the scruff of the collar and put the cat in the backpack up to its neck like a straightjacket. She hoped it would keep the cat calm too and protect Lir from claws.

If she managed that without any harm, she would gather up the rope, tie and wrap it around something sturdy so the drunk could pull himself out but it was her goal to catch the cat first.
Morg

Post by Morg »

Skilled :)
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]

Return to “On the Water Archive”