Crying Dragon - Samheen 22 TT Open

Moderator: Mods

Jack Farrell
Civus

Post by Jack Farrell »

Jack relaxed a little as the soldiers made no move to challenge them. He smiled at Rezon and followed dutifully. He was not as lithe in weaving through the crowds, but it was no hardship to make headway. Jack glanced at the dwarf, but he looked sickly and Jack decided it wisest not to risk incurring disease if possible. He and the rest of the crew moved through the tavern like a procession - Jack wondered how many tables they would eventually fill.

Curious he strode through the double doors - perhaps there would be chance to let his hair down a little before he hit the hay. He hoped his diversion had given Amica enough time to stow away, he bit his lip and rolled the fat golden coin over his knuckles. It was time to spend this thing.

Post by Guest »

It was as if his sensory organs were being besieged. Besieged, while already engaged in destructive civil wars. Yet out of it Jaeger managed to single the ill boding of his condition and the ensuing silencing of the speaker. Was he? Was he dying? It should scare him, he knew, but his mind was too occupied with fighting the pain care. There was no room for anything further, even such a prognosis would only spill away like does the water tapped in an already overflowing glass.

It took the dwarf two deep breaths before he was able to answer the men. "I arrived with the Mindakor," he managed weakly, studying the men, his drained eyes meeting those of the man asking. In his current state, applying a skeptical and questioning approach towards these strangers was no attainable reality. "From Abu Sahir, not the Citadel. It was..." But the dwarf trailed off, realising he knew not how many days past it was his vessel had reached Sabata. "How so, my good man...I'm afraid I know nothing of the Kaeru."

Post by Guest »

Maverick stepped inside the Crying Dragon with a terrible thirst. He longed for a good beer, or perhaps an Islay whiskey. Traveling for weeks through the desert did that to a man. In fact a day would have been enough in that scorching hot sandpit of the Nether. He had decided to forego his family home for a little while more. It held little attraction since his mother died and it would have ment cleaning up. None of that.

He scratched his stubbles as he walked with a slight swagger through the establishment to the bar, watching the patrons with only slight interest. His traditional camel robe fell open to reveal his leather breeches and jerkin underneath, all lightly dusted with a fine layer of sand. His turban and face scarf had already disappeared in his backpack. Slowly Maverick Delora was transforming from one of the People to a guarddi, which he was and would always remain, no matter how familiar he was with the barbarians.

Leaning on the bar, putting one foot on the railing by the floor he grinned at the familiar bartender "Give me a beer and an Islay whiskey. Can't decide which one suits my mood, so it will have to be both." He dropped enough coinage on the bar from a fat purse that jingled on his belt, and it included a fat little tip which hopefully would smooth the conversation. "What's been happening in Sabata while I was gone? Anything good?"

Post by Guest »

OOC: Sorry, Jack. My bad. I meant to indicate that Gharibu took you to your tables and then went through the double-doors. You need a special invitation to get into that part of the Dragon. I’ll assume you went to the table.

IC:

Jack ~

Pulling out a chair for Jack, Rezon sat down at one table with the most senior members of the crew and his officers. The first to approach the group was a wisp of a slave girl. She wandered over to the group of sailors that had taken the back table without a carrying tray or food. Few needed to guess what she selling. Rezon, the obvious leader of the bunch, politely declined but did not refuse for his men. He brushed her into the rowdy sailors beyond and turned to his table.

Beside Rezon sat the ship’s rigging expert, Slippin’ Tom, so called because of the countless times he’d ended up overboard. On Rezon’s left was the ship’s quartermaster, Luis Viggio, a stern man with dark curled moustaches and a penchant for swearing that left even the most senior sailor blushing. The fifth member at the table was a man Jack had barely seen during his day on the airship. Rezon called him Fairmount, and the man was obviously of military bearing. Yet, he wore no distinguishing uniform or weapon. His only tell tale trait was a Western accent. It was similar to Rezon’s but seemed somewhat more refined and polished.

Smiling at his assembled crew, Rezon said, “A drink or two before we set sail, men, but be cautious. The winds can be nasty coming in from the sea. I’ve no desire to see how well she moves in the sand!”

The men chuckled and leaned back into their chairs, to the man, trying to catch the eye of the bubbly serving girl heading their direction.

Jaeger ~

The leader of the pair looked suspiciously at the dwarf before answering. Jaeger could tell the man was trying to determine if he should discuss the situation.

“It’s a good thing you weren’t on board,” he sighed, “one of the passengers was murdered. It seems he was a friend of someone here in the city.”

“Are you all right, sir?” he asked, his face trying to hide disgust. Disease was not uncommon in Sabata. The city was not a center of technology or magic; healing was rare unless you knew one of the Shamans of the People.

Maverick ~

The bartender shot Maverick an un-amused look and slapped both drinks on the counter in front of him.

“Lately,” he replied, “is a relative word. But, if you’ve been gone for more than a week, the place has been turned upside down, if you ask me. A curfew’s been established and most folk won’t be too disappointed. Over the past few nights, this city’s been so dangerous, I’m even suspicious of me own mother.”

The bartender put his arms, great hairy things, on the bar and leaned in closer.

“Rumor is it that a boat full of slaves or prisoners from the Seven Isles broke loose and is terrorizing the city. No one’s saying for sure, but with the recent animosity between the locals and the Imperial Trade Guild, there’s not a soul in town that won’t believe it’s true.”

Done with one rumor, the bartender looked around at the bar for any other interesting gossip. His eyes lit up as he found Jack’s group clustered near the back.

“Back there’s the crew to the Scillus. It’s some grand, magical airship if you can believe that. It’s supposed to leave tomorrow, not sure where. They’ve been pretty hushed about where they’re heading. I’ll be disappointed. They pay well and they’re not as rough as the traditional sailors.”

Post by Guest »

"Curfew?" Maverick echoed in surprise as he downed his beer in two easy gulps, using the back of his hand to remove the foam from his chin "For a few slaves? Why haven't they simply chased them to the desert. They'll be back in a few days, begging for their iron collars. Those imperial guarddi never last out in the Sands."

He shook his head and sipped his whiskey, in a slightly less enthusiastic manner. His thirst had been lessened and this was for the pure pleasure of it. Yes... the desert was a fine place to be, but it lacked certain luxuries.

As the bartender indicated the crew, Mavericks eyes narrowed with interest and he turned to observe them. "An airship.. I've heard rumors of such things back in the Mouth when we made the last delivery... never did see one though. It puts new meaning to the words riding the storm, eh? The possibilities for trade are huge, though it would make my work of guarding caravans obsolete. They say a ship can contain up to 150 persons." Probably more if stacked properly, Maverick thought shrewdly. The thought of shipping 200 slaves at a time was... lucrative. He ought to inspect the possibilities.

Sauntering to where Jack and Rezon sat Maverick made a greeting gesture, his hand over his heart "Welcome to Sabata, dear Sirs. The fame of your ship proceeds you. Maverick Delora, Sabata trader. My family traces back to the Mouth. What is an expensive, magickal ship doing so far away from home? Perhaps I can offer my assistance as a certified local?"
Jack Farrell
Civus

Post by Jack Farrell »

Jack felt he was not alone in leaning back on his chair to keep his eyes on the young girl. Now there would be a night well spent. He smiled. Jack let the coin slip out of his hand and onto the table. It was a fat coin, heavy and solid to the touch - it would last well into the night he suspected, it was almost a small fortune and he would be sure to spend it wisely.

He called over the serving girl.

"One room for the night then keep the ale flowin' least till this runs dry." He held out the glistening coin. "My friends here could do with a drink after a hot day." He smiled and gestured to take in the table. His feeling of hospitality was not insincere - had he the coin himself he would have done just this in gratitude of his new employment. Yet Jack had no intention of spending the rest of his night in the bar, he would have a drink with the crew, swap a few lies and let the tales drift around the bar. He knew a good one about a drunken sailor who would forever rue the day he pressed his charms on a powerful witch. That one usually got a few laughs once the drink was flowing.

He kicked back and drained the last dregs of one flagon just as a tall young man wandered over. He seemed a little older than Jack, a man more toward the fulness of his prime whilst Jack still had a few vestiges of boyhood - his uneven stubble being just one. As he introduced himself, Jack raised one eyebrow.

"Why my friend, whilst I am curious to understand how you know it is we who crew the airship I must confess I am not suprised." He grinned and shifted along the table, making room for the new guest, he instantly bought him a pint himself - staying well clear of the Dragon's tears this time.

Jack smiled and listened politely to the niceties of conversation, laughing in all the right places but listening more than voicing his opinion

Before long he made his excuses and headed out into the courtyard, explaining to the guards that he was not leaving the premises, just getting a little air. Jack needed some air, he felt like he needed to be doing something. He was not sure how much more help he could be to Amica, he had precious few skills that could be of any use to her. The falchion he carried was becoming as much a burden as it was a tool. He began to wonder if it had been such a wise purchase. It was a weapon of war, something to be used on a battlefield. He needed training in it and he was not sure where to get it from. Surely a few of the crew knew how to fight - it was something to think of once they got in the air.

Jack rubbed his hands through his hair, tousling the dark locks out of his eyes. He sat on the ground, back against one of the supports that held up the stables. His hands found his bootknife and he used its sharpened edge to trim the rough edges from his nails. It was an idle habit, one he had cultivated early in life and never shaken. Suddenly an idea struck him, inspired by the memory of a dream.

He undid the sash holding his falchion on and left his satchel on the flood next to the pillar. Taking his boot knife he stood a few paces from the pillar and began chucking the blade at the wood. His throws were crude and the knife struck the wood by the hilt as often as not, but it was simple practice and it gave him time to think. He did not throw overly hard, and the blade only just stuck in the wood - he did not want to leave a dirty great score on Gharibu's property afterall.

The blade clattered to the floor. Jack stepped over and retrieved it. His mind full of dragons and whispy slave girls he hurled it again.

He wondered how much it would cost to buy her freedom.
Last edited by Jack Farrell on Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

OOC: Hi Jack, I assumed you left without paying attention to Maverick who.. ah.. was talking to you. Please let me know if I should edit ;)

IC: Somewhat taken aback Maverick noticed one of the officers rise and excuse himself, without even acknowledging the wanderer before them. Good start, Maverick. Already they consider you a barbarian, beneath their notice.. He grinned instead at Rezon "That one holds his liquor badly, if you ask me. "

Post by Guest »

OOC: Seems he answered, pulled you up and chair and then walked off. Some people's children! ;)

IC:

Rezon watched Jack respond and to the newcomer and then head out into the courtyard. Maverick could see the look of concern creep onto his face. By the way the others deferred to him, Maverick knew this man was one of the leaders of the band.

"Forgive my . . . colleague, my friend. Delora was it?" Rezon stood and offered his hand. "My name's Rezon."

Rezon was a tall, imposing man with an air of superiority and confidence Maverick found appealing. It was easy to see why men would follow his command.

"Have a seat, join us if you will," offered Rezon waving toward Jack's recently vacated seat.

"A fellow Mouthie, you say? Indeed! My ship's the mighty Scillus, recently departed from our fair city." He waved over the serving girl who was approaching, balancing precariously perched mugs of ale on a tray.

"As far as local help, we appreciate the offer, but I'd say we're covered there. Weather holding, we'll be leaving tomorrow."

He grinned knowingly at Maverick. Unknown to Maverick, Rezon was well known among the merchant circles of Sabata. The dashing pilot had the confidence, and cargo, of many of the city's wealthiest families in his hold.

"The Deloras . . ." muttered Rezon, scratching his chin and trying to place the name, "dealers in spice, wasn't it? You heading west again soon? Or did you just get back?"

Maverick caught Rezon's eyes look over his shoulder to where Jack had gone to be alone. Silently, he exchanged looks with man with dark, waxed and curled moustaches. Responding with a nod, the moustached man excused himself and followed Jack.
Jack Farrell
Civus

Post by Jack Farrell »

ooc: :p i did pm him... tis my fault, i drafted the post up before he posted then missed his post.

ic:

Jack slung the blade again, letting it fly from his hands at a different angle this time, trying to get the blade into the wood as opposed to the handle. It was difficult to control the spin against the distance - he supposed with enough practice it was possible to do it every time.

His mind was not on his task though, it wandered from idle musings of the slave girl to Amica's plight and suicide. Would he follow her? He was not yet decided. Sticking with Rezon would be an interesting life, at least for a time, travel between the mouth and the eastern shores would be profitable were he to invest in the enterprise... But he was young, did he want to while away his time traveling from port to port as a crew for a merchant vessel? He was not sure. But did he want to risk life and limb for some slip of a girl he had met only hours before. Perhaps not.

He needed time to think this through, perhaps a few hours meditation would do him well before sleep this night. Jack smiled, hearing the noise of the common room inside. At least Rezon's crew seemed to be enjoying themselves. He would go back in soon he supposed... He slung the dagger into the wood and it stuck a little this time. He smiled and walked over to it, collecting the blade.

He played it over in his fingers, stepping back to his mark and looking around the courtyard. He had thought himself alone but he could have sworn that this was not the case. Ignoring it, he hurled the dagger again.

Post by Guest »

"Just returned," Maverick said, shaking Rezon's hand before taking a Jack's vacated seat,"The family is into spices, dies and .. some of other profitable trade." Maverick was careful not to mention slavetrade right away. It was good money but not always respected by fellow traders. "I did not know my family became so notorious as to be known to Mouth captains."

He accepted a drink from one of the waitresses and took a deep gulp of beer "So, I've heard yours is a magickal ships. I've heard rumors about airships, but I never did see one. What is your destination?"

OOC: LOL! yes, it is okay ;)
Last edited by Guest on Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

At Maverick’s questions, Rezon smiled dipped. It was not anger that crossed his face but neither was it delight. Maverick could see it on the looks of Rezon’s crew as well.

“You’re family’s known well enough to those who want to ship the goods,which is how I’ve heard about’em. I’ve been through this little port too many times to count, but this is the first on the airship.” He took a swig from his mug, obviously having calmed down.

“You’ve really never seen one? She’s a wondrous, mechanical beauty. She’s out in the warehouse district. We had to rig a special landing area behind some of the buildings that weren’t under a dome. If you’re over that direction, stop in, I’d be happy to let you have a look.”

“As to destination,” continued Rezon, smile dipping again and his eyes turning slightly suspicious, “Sabata’s just one of the many ports on our trip.”

“So, are you looking for another job, or just being friendly?”

~

As the dagger clunked into the post, Jack heard the sound of a door creaking. Luis’ mustached face appeared in the yellow doorway.

“You okay?” he asked sternly. “Rezon sent me to check on you, make sure you weren’t getting cold feet. You ordered a lot to drink and then just took off.”

Post by Guest »

Maverick could taste the reservation of the crew in the air, and was no stranger to it. He let it slide off his lizard skin. Walk long enough in the desert with a caravan of slaves and you develop one.

He laughed as he took another swill of beer "I'm a generally nice person, but truth is, as you so rightly guessed, that I would not mind a job. I've got no new job as of yet, and it will be a while before my family has another shipment to accompany."

He shrugged "If you haven't got any need for an extra pair of hands, I'd still take you up on your offer of a tour. I'd love to see your mechanical beauty. Got a professional interest in ships."
Jack Farrell
Civus

the wit...

Post by Jack Farrell »

ooc:sorry about the delay, just gone to uni and it took a while to set up my connection. :roll:
ic:

Jack saw Luis appear at the doorway and felt himself startled, the courtyard was quiet. But he recovered himself quickly and spoke, walking towards the post where his dagger now stood proudly.

"Luis it has been an interesting day. This morning I was..." He trailed off, having been about to say property, but that was not something he wanted to advertise. "I was nothing, I had no prospects, no future." He worked the dagger loose and slipped it into his boot. "Call it an overwhelming of circumstance, but I just felt like I needed to go and get a little air. This has been a little much for one small severn Isles boy."

Jack laughed and walked over.

"You ever wonder how you got here? If maybe something different had happened, a conversation gone the wrong way, a word spoken badly - maybe you could be somewhere quite different..." Jack felt his mind ring back to Dejarek's caravans. Those were dreams he could afford to forget.
Jack looked at the stern man, he wondered what life had lead him to this path - and where it would lead jack.

"Come on then, I suppose I had better teach you how we drink in a real desert." He smiled and prepared to re-enter the bar.

Post by Guest »

Rezon scrutinized the young trader before him. Maverick had been bold approaching the group. Rezon liked that. And, the man had experience both in the city and the desert. It was rare to find someone who could blend in both places. Typical caravan personnel weren’t usually good at either.

“Actually, I think we might be able to use another hand. Especially, if your familiar with the desert. Problem with these airships is that setting them down in the water isn’t as simple as you’d think. I’d much rather rest her on solid earth.”

He paused, realizing he’d pulled himself onto a tangent.

“Yes, I can offer you a job, though it might be swabbing our deck and some rigging work. I hope you’re not afraid of heights.”

~

Luis curled his lip in disgust at Jack’s boasting. None too gently, he placed his arm on the young boy’s shoulder and guided him back toward the table. Luis wasn’t the friendly sort. He looked more like the kind of man who might slit his mother’s throat. Jack noticed a few of the patrons specifically move themselves out of the pair’s way as they returned.

~

“Ah, Jack!” said Rezon, turning from Maverick. “Sabata at night is a dangerous place. Even in a courtyard of a fine establishment such as this,” he warned, face growing dark. Rezon was a superstitious sailor at heart. Losing a man the night before a voyage was the worst kind of omen.

“Stay close.”

“The pilot speaks wisely,” declared Fairmount ominously. With a sigh, he pushed away from the table and stood. Fairmount cut an imposing figure in the dark and smoky common room. To Maverick, the tall man screamed military. With his long woolen jacket and wide sash covering the hilt of short sword, he looked too similar to the naval officers that frequented Sabata. He wore black to match his thinning dark hair that he’d tied back in a leather thong; practical but fashionable.

“And I too, share his feeling of wariness. Sirs, I beg your leave for this looks to be an entertaining evening, but I must see to my duties on the ship.” He bowed stiffly and turned to leave.
Jack Farrell
Civus

Post by Jack Farrell »

Jack felt his grin drop at luis's words. It was fine though, Jack could be a bastard too. He refused to be sullen though, settling for a reserved wariness, taking his seat and taking a slow deliberate draught of his ale. He watched luis with careful eyes, he could sense some potential friction there - ah well, it had still been a good day and a good dust up wouldnt ruin the trip, even if he was a superior officer.

Jack nodded to Rezon but superstition had no place for him. The fact that Fairmount was trusted to leave was not lost on him however - A military man must be counted to take care of himself but Jack knew it did not matter how good you were if someone got the jump. He had proved it himself on the caravans...

He drank back his pint and wondered how much coin was left after his round. He was brigand enough to pocket the difference. Besides, Amica looked like she had enough to go around anyway.

Post by Guest »

Maverick grinned at the mention of heights "Are you kidding? I've accompanied trade trips on a ship since I was a kid. You'll see me fly. I'm none too proud. Just a job with a meal and a hammock is fine for me." He shook Renzo's hand "You have a deal."

Maverick took good note of the military man. What precisely does a military man do on a trading mission. It is curious. Maverick hid his curiosity in his glass, staring over the rimm of it.

Post by Guest »

Rezon watched his companion leave and then turned back to the table with a small look of relief on his face.

"It's a shame he had to leave with all this drink still here," chimed in the man known as Slippin' Tom.

"You make an excellent point," replied Rezon.

"To our voyage," he said, raising his tankard.

"Tomorrow, weather holding, we head north, over the sands and then east into the lovely forests of Taquar. I can't wait to get rid of some of this cargo."

The rumble of thunder rolled through the Crying Dragon, answering the pilot's very challenge, spiting him for his bold words. Rezon's face dropped instantly as heavy rain began pelting the roof of the inn.

"Or perhaps not," he said flatly. "Perhaps it will be the day after tomorrow we leave. One day delay shouldn't hurt." Jack and Maverick could tell Rezon was trying to sound more confident than he was.

"Well, I bet that little tribeswoman friend of yours is happy, Jack. This rain should give her plenty of cover to escape whoever's chasing her. Maverick, you're the local here, any idea on how long this storm will last? I've been here in Autumn only a few times and we never hit any squalls like this."

OOC: Jack and Maverick - we'll be moving on to the 24th shortly. I have to square away a small piece of the plot with another player first and we'll be on our way. :) You will have the 23rd "off" to do what you need to get us to the 24th.

Post by Guest »

Maverick rose his tankard with the rest of them, celebrating the good wishes with another good swill, emptying his beer. A pity He stared at the bottom of the tankard with regret. "What cargo are you carrying then, that Taquar is waiting for so urgently?"

When he put it down with a little bit of force upon the table, thunder sounded outside. Oops.

"I fear it will be the day after tomorrow then," Maverick sadly informed Rezon after the man's inquiry "If this is a desert storm it is fairly dry and merely sand, which will pass out into sea and die quickly, but by the sounds of it this one is filled with water and desert bound. It will ram into the heat there as if into a wall and cannot pass until enough water has been shed right here into Sabata. More often than not no water reaches the Sands at all." Maverick shrugged "The desert storms come in the summer, the sea squalls are something for late Autumn and the Winter. They are early. Then again, the weather in the Western Kingdom has been off too. Perhaps there is a trade off."

With some interest in his green eyes he watched Jack "You befriended one of the People of the Sands? They usually keep to themselves. What was she running from?"

OOC: Woot, a timejump already ;) Maverick will pay a courtesy call to his family on the 23rd (catching up on gossip and trade info) and report at the airship on the 24th :)
Last edited by Guest on Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Farrell
Civus

Post by Jack Farrell »

Jack nodded as Maverick foretold the weather. In honesty he knew virtually nothing about weather patterns - but weather was always worse by the coast. He took another draught of his ale and almost choked it up again at Maverick's question. He did not want Amica remembered if at all possible. With any luck their presence on the airship would go as unremarked as a night breeze and he could move along with his life.

"Friend?" He smiled and returned to his drink. "She was young 'n with child t'boot. Did the right thing as best I could. He finished his pint and set it down.

"Said she had some problem with Ramessu - wouldn't go into it though, cant say I blame her... Guess we all done sommat worth running from." He smiled and looked around the table.

ooc:Jack will probably spend his extra day's leave around the ship - familiarising himself with the layout, doing any jobs that need doing or meditating on his dreams (which have been interestin) perhaps working on his knife throwing or swordplay if he finds a quiet spot - driven by his need to feel useful or counted.

Post by Guest »

Some problem with Ramessu, and with child? Maverick immediately thought a visit to his family might be in order. What would get one in trouble with Ramessu these days? Of course their patron didn't always enlighten them but usually the Delora family had a pretty good idea. Perhaps they even knew the name of the girl.

He grinned non-commital at Jack and took another swill of his new beer.

Post by Guest »

OOC: Jack and Maverick - please continue here

However, please feel free to continue this thread and get to know one another. You may be together for a very long time. ;)
Last edited by Guest on Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morg

Post by Morg »

Skilled :)
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]

Return to “The Sands Archive”