Demon Hunt: Into the Vault - Samheen 28th GT

Moderator: Mods

Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin approached Barret, at his instigation, and listened with interest, and attention, as he spoke. He understood what the man said about the dangers of darkness and how they might be destructive. Certainly he had plenty of anger in store for this demon, but he had been determined to face the demon with a level-head, and he was even more determined given the warnings.

As he moved on to speak of the positive emotional energies that could be unleashed, Corbin knew that he had these aplenty. His family, the Citadel, the memory of Bregana - for whilst he was angry at the Changer, he also cherished the memory of the young elf who had so willingly given up her life to save his life, and by the Citadel more time to prepare for the demon. Indeed, had it not been for her the demon may well have already attacked the Citadel proper when it had been fully occupied.

As Barret finished, Corbin nodded.

"What you say strikes true. I admit that I harbour a deep anger and hatred for this thing, and I fear that is something I can not get rid of. But I know too that I have plenty of more positive feelings to draw on - and they shall be the base for my defence, and indeed attack." Corbin said resolutely.

"Indeed, I think this" and at that Corbin pointed to the amulet he had lately received "shall aid in that. It seems to encourage one to draw on such positive things, rather than those negative feelings that you spoke of."
Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Ashari »

Ashari moved with many things on her mind, and so as she passed her comrades she didn't nod or say hello or try to be the flirtasious girl she might've been if they'd met in the tavern. This was something different. Her mind was closed.

She did watch the things they got with interest, however. Ash had no idea what sort of thing she'd need. Her mind was as sharp as a blade - and she had no need of one since she hadn't the skill. Defences. It could easily be her undoing. She was a take charge sort of woman, and would quickly find herself at the frontline. Her shielding was a weak point in her magick - something she planned to remedy, however, that wouldn't help if she didn't survive the Changer's wrath.

"I'm in need of a shield." She said to the Vaultkeeper.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The Vaultkeeper nodded at Talanwei as he asked his question. "The blade is enchanted in a most unusual fashion, Aspirant. Most blades enchanted for battle use earth magics to grant the blade exceptional keeness or damaging energies to greater wound a foe. Your blade has been forged heavily with the energy of life. This makes it potent against beings not of this world. It is also said that a Warden's Blade can never harm an innocent."

--------

The Vaultkeeper nodded at Becca's request and spoke quietly to one of his assistants. Several burns after she returned bearing a wand. It was made of mahogany about as long as her forearm. It was capped with a minature version of the optical illusion sphere that Imrelinda had let her use in her first lessons on illusions. To her Aetheric sight, she held a massive grimoire of illusion brimming with energy.

---------

The Vaultkeeper nodded to Ashari and spoke again to one of his assistants. He was gone but a few flickers before he returned bearing a set of bracers. They were made of beaten brass and inscribed with many arcane wards. It would be the magical equivalent of walking around in a suit of heavy armor.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Barrett
Priest of Aurelius - Querist

Post by Barrett »

“Ah, yes. A talisman of confidence should help. But be careful. Having handled several objects of power recently, I find that they each come with some added price or unexpected responsibility. But then, you should know this yourself from the Rosestone. And, Master Corbin, I see you carry a sword as well. Might I enquire as to the nature and depth of your training with these weapons?”

“Your anger… you were close to one of Changer’s victims?”
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

"Ah yes, the Rosestone." Corbin said with a slight smile. "It is said that with age comes wisdom, but I assure you that despite aging at least a yahren in a single day I feel no wiser at all. I feel cheated! And you are right, I suspect there is a price, or at least downside to this charm. One would think that the downside would be over confidence, arrogance if you will - I shall certainly be on the look out for that." He said confidently - he was not entirely sure whether it was something you could look out for if you were wearing this charm.

"As for my sword, I am skilled with it. I've been trained since birth to wield it, indeed I suspect my skill with it is at least a match with my magic. I suspect, or at least hope, that it shall be something of a secret weapon - mages are generally not known for their skill at arms, especially those who are not battle mages. If the demon, or its minions, get too close they shall certainly no about it." He said with justified confidence.

His face lost its smile for a moment as he reflected on the loss of Bregana, though it was not a solemn face, merely the usual mask.

"Indeed. A friend of mine, a fellow student, fell to the Changer when we went to investigate the source of the Nether in the catacombs beneath the Citadel. We didn't even know there was a demon there, it was simply an exploration. Suffice to say that she saved my life twice that day - and the last time she did so by sacrificing her own." He said impassively. "The worst of it is that when we went back down, we never found her body." It was left unsaid that this meant it was possible that she had been possessed by the Changer. Corbin did not even want to contemplate that, for she would be suffering a living hell - yet he still could not ignore the hope that if she was a slave, the death of the Changer might free her.
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

The brunette beauty looked at the brass bracers and nodded. "Thank you - not just for myself, but for everyone - beyond those who will be fighting, for all the people who can't fight for themselves." There were so many. The children are what she thought of most in times like these. In King's Court it had been their faces that pushed her on. It was violence that stole her family away from her at much too young of an age and she wished to spare as many children that hardship as was possible.

Her eyes stole over to Becca with a smile. "Good luck," she said looking between the girl and the wooden wand. "Ash," the woman stuck out her hand to be shaken, if the girl would accept such an offer. She'd found many of the women of the Citadel to be lacking in their social graces toward their own gender.
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]
Aeris Mourir
Civus

Post by Aeris Mourir »

The secret of Aeris being a powerful being was still hidden from everyone, including herself. The only people who might have been able to see it, was the mages who she passed and who stood around gawking at their new, mighty possessions. The meek woman stood in a cream colored dress, nothing special, nothing extrodinary. The only thing of any true worth was the silver, swan pendant that dangled between her chest.

She wasn't even supposed to be here. Ashari had briefed her on the way her, and the maiden told her it wasn't the best of ideas. They were going up against a very capable demon - something not to be taken very lightly. The mind-crafter simply assured her that the mother would take care of all her children.

Her eyes watched as each being got an item to future there existence on this plane. She waited and waited, and almost didn’t say anything, but suddenly she felt a compelling shyness so she backed up slightly. Her animal instincts screamed through her mind run. Flee this place. Aeris was able to coax her fear into another part of her mind, but soon it found the way out and that’s all she could think about. She wasn’t worried about the demon anymore, that was something that she could face, mages, however, were a completely different story. The woman realized that she would get nowhere in this place, a place filled to the brim with spell casters, if she didn’t face what she was so terrified of. She stepped up to the gentleman and said, “I am in need of,” she paused for a flicker, grabbing her pendant. Jin, and Akuta and everyone else she had ever met ran through her mind. “I am in need of an effective weapon.” What that actually detailed, was beyond her sight.
[i][color=brown]"I am that merry wanderer of the night."
--William Shakespeare[/color][/i]

Avatar manipulated by Ashari with stock photo by LaraFairie
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

If the Vaultkeeper noticed the hint of orange at Aeris's lips or the feathery nature of her hair, he gave no sign of it. However, he did take the time to examine her for a time. Unlike the others, she bore no weapons and thus gave no clues as to what she could wield. However, her training in the martial arts were clear in the way she stood and the fitness of her body. Of course, the vaultkeeper would have to that conclusion regardless. Only one who trained their body as a weapon would come unarmed to a fight like this one.

An assistant was sent back into the depths of the vault and he returned with a set of black leather gloves. They covered half way up her forearm and were covered in stylized runes of silver thread. "These gloves were made for those that fight with their hands. From the inside, they are supple and will not impede your movements. From the outside," the vaultkeeper picked one and struck it against the stone table. The collison produced a loud clang. "they are as strong as steel and strike like a mace head. I hope I have gussed aright the nature of your skills." He commented as the gloves were given to her.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Something about the pale-haired young woman’s stance attracted Barrett’s eye. And something more, on the Aether, attracted his mind. There was a peculiar energy about her that caused him to look further. Perhaps, had he not been reading or discussing the lore of Swanmaidens only the prior morning, he would have missed it.

What an extraordinary coincidence! Unless I misinterpret…? I wonder if she is the lady of whom Danomel spoke? And the gloves… for a fighter.

He approached Aeris carefully – not unlike the manner in which he had tracked and approached the lair of the Thothos in Amun Rah.

“My dear. You fight with only your hands? Perhaps you would be interested in sparring at some point. I am only a novice, so any experience would be good. You see, I am not allowed to carry the weapons of man. My name is Barrett, by the way. And this fellow is Corbin.”
Talanwei Fortisse
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Talanwei Fortisse »

Talanwei looked on the blade as the vaultkeeper spoke. His words about the blade being forged in the energy of life were unexpected. That demons would fall to this blade, given if he wielded it expertly enough, was more than sufficient for the young Achadiel. It seemed a fitting weapon for one that was to be a paladin someday. It was no sword of Anochrim but it was more than enough for him. Talanwei had to remind himself that his future may be depending on the outcome of the hunt. He sighed deeply and nodded satisfied with the blade. The Achadiel sheathed it on his right hip so that his left hand could draw it swiftly and reaffixed his short blade in a makeshift position on his back tilted to the right. This was so he could draw each independently.

"A thousand thanks, good sir," said Talanwei and with a bow, he made his way out of the vault.
[b]Convo Kill Count[/b]: 1
[b]Funny Chat Moments[/b]: 3
Aeris Mourir
Civus

Post by Aeris Mourir »

The meek and rather fragile appearing woman took the garments and looked at the keeper with worried eyes. She knew slightly what they were up against and hoped that she would be able to help in the least. Whether or not he knew what was going was not to her knowledge.

Aeris slipped the gloves on after he had handed them to her and formed a fist, getting a tight feel for her new accessories. "Thank you," she said candidly. Coming from an ancient race of immortals, she was inclind to such arcane objects, however, she knew nothing about the art of rune crafting. She made a mental note to never where these in public, since they felt like ordinary sleeves, the last thing she needed was to bump into someone and break bones.

"You have it quite right," she said peering around at the group. "I bring very little to a fight, only the things that I absolutely need," and she figured it was hint enough that herself and Anasis were her actual defense.

Stepping back, a stranger didn't hesitate to introduce himself to the odd woman. She waited from Barrett to finish and thought before she spoke. He is kind and light hearted. optimistic, and hopeful. Someone to bring serenity to the worst of chaos. "I am Aeris Mourir," the downy haired woman replied. With a nod she added, "A pleasure to meet both of you. Yes, only my hands," she left religion out of the discussion. "I occasionally use a whip, but that didn't go with the dress," she said with bright smile.

Barrett

Post by Barrett »

“A whip, eh?”
Barrett smiled.
“You’d like my friend Scatha then. She caused quite a stir with one in the palace gardens recently.”
Would that that were the only scene the girl had caused…

“I was taught weaponless fighting by a Red Priestess on Oracle’s Isle. Unfortunately we only had time for one or two lessons. I myself am Order of Aurelius.”

If anyone had been able to sense the Thinker’s presence, they might be shy to say so, but if he mentioned it openly it was okay. This was not the place for keeping secrets. Well, except for the Bough. That needed to remain secret until the proper time.

“Do I detect a hint of Amun Rah in your speaking?”
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Corbin turned to meet the young woman with a smile as Barret introduced them both. He remained silent as they spoke, surveying the young woman for she was certainly a striking example of womanhood. She stood slightly taller than the average woman, but that was not what made her different. Her face was very pale, which was set dramatically against the pair of black eyes that say in her innocent looking face. All this was framed by white hair, though it seemed to Corbin on observation that there was a hint of blue to it.

As she mentioned using a whip Corbin struggled to maintain the pleasant smile on his face, as he wished to grin broadly. Perhaps now was not the moment for immature thoughts, but apparently that did not matter to him. Fortunately he managed to maintain control of ihs features, but found that he had to speak to keep up his composure.

"An absolute pleasure to make your acquaintance Aeris Mourir. I should sweep up a hand to place a kiss upon it, but I am not entirely sure it would react well with your new-found clothing." He said pleasantly, with a slight grin, casting a quick nod at her gloves.

He wondered whether or not she had a dress that went well with her whip...
Aeris Mourir
Civus

Post by Aeris Mourir »

"Born and raised," she replied with her voice that hinted a heritage. She didn't know exactly how much she wanted to tell these people, let alone Ashari, so her actual life and where she came from would remain a secret.

"Scatha, you say? The woman from Dort? Curious," she trailed off. It surely was by the gods that she had joined the fight for the Citadel. She had no real reason to be here other than the sheer well being of the vast city, and so she sat and mingled with strangers.

She was scanning the other man when she noticed the twinkle in his eyes. He wanted so bad to comment on her whip skill, and she knew the connatation that went right along with such an art. The barely noticable curl of lips was confirmation enough that something must be said before the mind wandered even more. "Not a word," she half demanded half played. "You wouldn't want me to slap you, would you now?" she cheerfully said. Knowing that the gloves would almost nearly kill him, it was a rather humerous predicament.

Aeris looked back at the priest and added, "Lady Anasis has my devotion. Our faith will do much against the nether creature... even though we have powerful weapons, be on your best guard. Shield, if you can, and pray for the best of outcomes. I do not know what will happen, but we are in for a fight," she concluded.

Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

Not too hard were the words that begged to tear forth from his lips, but certainly it was not the time nor place for such banter. Still, he found it comforting that even in these times of mortal peril a quick word and a cheeky comment came willfully to mind. The Changer had not managed to chase that away from him, not yet at least.

"A slap would be a sign of your disapprobation, and thus it is the last thing I should want from you, my Lady." He said, dipping his head into a bow, a wry grin etched on is face. "Let me merely say that I am sure you shall find yourself served far better by your gloves than by your whip."

He listened as she spoke to Barrett.

"Ahhh, I may be able to shed some light on that for you." Corbin said pleasantly. "What shall happen is this - we shall sally forth, the Changer shall send against us every minion it has. They shall all be dispatched with haste, we shall then proceed to meet the Changer, who shall suffer the same fate as its slaves and shall find itself either utterly vanquished, or cast back to whatever depth it has risen from. We shall then carry back with us the freed prisoners, and return to the Citadel to be feted as heroes and never have to pay for a drink in the Dragon again." He said, his smile still broad. "Nothing to worry about at all, though we are in for something of a late night. Bags under the eyes could be a concern, to be sure."
Fauna Winthrope
Student of Magick

Post by Fauna Winthrope »

"It will be more than a fight, Woman of the Desert." The Dark Enchantress heard that familiar accent and like a bee to a honey, she couldn't help but be lured by it, the voice bringing her back to the desert dunes of Amun Rah and she sleekly moved forward with her Audrey design Mage Robe, the Dark Purple hugging her like skin itself. Imperiously, she nodded at the pale woman Aeris, her eyes curious, looking at the woman from the sole of her shoes to the tip of her hair.

"May the great Anasis guide you, sister." the Amunic woman greeted the woman formally, her voice betraying a small hint of Amunic accent, which was being replaced by the Citadelean court cadence.

"It is not that easy as you imagine, Corbin." She looked at him, amused, her blue eyes twinkling mirthfully, the mirror of her black staff gleaming with silvery hue. "But I dare wish, your words would come true. Battling with the Nether will take everything you have." Her blue eyes returned to the Amunic Pale Woman. "It will barrage you with lies, falsity, terror, destruction, anger, disunity, corruption and confusion. Be on your guard, Sister of the Desert, have faith in Anasis."

"You are going to watch over her, are you not Master Barret?" This to Barret. "Because if you all fail, Master Priest, there is nothing left for me to do but..." She trailed off. I do not know how to stop it if you all fail and the only thing I can do is to side with the Daemon and it will be more than powerful. The silent thought could be clearly seen upon her fearful blue eyes. "So you better watch over her and Ulder. His grief may be interfering with his thinking and he needs someone logical, someone like you, someone who can advise him."
"Cruelty has a Human Heart,
Jealousy a Human Face,
Terror the Human Form Divine,
and Secrecy the Human Dress."

-- William Blake
Ashari

Post by Ashari »

When Ashari had seen Aeris she knew there was something there and as much as she would've wanted to protect the fair skinned young woman, she knew that she had to see what she was capable of. For that reason alone she'd told the swanmaiden about the crusade and what it would mean to help. She would be a hero something she'd almost had the chance to be in Amun Rah, if only things had turned out a small bit differently. She did not, however, speak to the girl now. Considering Ashari's talents, her friends in odd places, and her general touch of death, it seemed best to allow Aeris to mingle. She could question her later about her converation with the Querist, Magelet and and someone she didn't recognize one bit who happened to be named Corbin.

As she passed them by, with gauntlets in hand, she gave Aeris a nod. It was subtle to be sure, but still evident to anyone who might've been watching her. She caught the end of Corbin's suggestion they ought to be wary of bags under their eyes and the young woman smirked and shook her head. Don't be fooled by Fauna. Use your head. She's sweeter than honey and more poisonous than a scorpion's sting... Ashari sent a penetrating thought to the swan, whether she recieved it or not was unknown. Either way, Ashari kept walking and left the group in the vault to their talking.
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Inwardly, Barrett spared a smile at Corbin’s youthful bravado. It sounded better than any of his own projections for the battle and its possible outcomes.

“Indeed, Scatha and I were recent travel companions to the desert isle. Amun Rah has some most fascinating, exotic and formidable waterfowl. But I hardly need remind you of that.”
He was speaking of the Thothos, but hoped the words applied to Aeris herself as well.

“I am afraid I did not have time to spend learning the lore of Anasis and Uphuron, although I did encounter the spirits of the desert. Come to think of it, it’s possible that I owe Uphuron an errand in exchange for- ah! But I do digress.”

Fauna’s cloudy speech marred the feeling of camaraderie that the Querist had hoped to build. Still, she was useful in that dislike or distrust of the “Dark Queen” unified what was otherwise a diverse group of people gathered to battle the Nether.

“Let’s just leave it at there is nothing left for you to do, Miss Winthrope. There are instructions for your own imminent death should we fail to come back from this mission. So, perhaps you would do best to stop speaking so pessimistically and consider the various ways that you might actually help the effort.”

“As for Aeris here, I think she’ll need little of my help with the Defender of Life as her patron.”

As Ashari passed, there was a… something, the Aetheric equivalent of a faint fluttering of mothwings. With so much potent magic present, it was difficult for Barrett to pinpoint.

Perhaps it is nothing.
He did not connect it with the mysterious Lady Gywien or with Aeris.
Perhaps I conjure ghosts of a talent I feared used by one that I loved… Or perhaps the demon watches us even here…

“Excuse me, friends.”
He suddenly felt the need to be on their way. So he approached the keepers of the vault with his own request. These were keepers of secret things: as such, Barrett felt a certain kinship to them and afforded them the outmost respect.
“If I may… I seek neither weapon nor shield from your treasure trove. I ask only a list of items distributed and the known properties of each. This will be useful both in formulating strategy while under attack and keeping track of any possible abuses in Citadel after these events are done.”
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

After a moment of whispered conversation, the Vaultkeeper nodded and wrote out the requested list. Now equipped, the Demon Hunter moved out into the city.

Fin

Thread archived with no skills awarded only neat magical goodies. :)
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “University of Magicks Archive”