DK: Recruitement for a Holy War [Sam 30th MT]

Moderator: Mods

Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

DK: Recruitement for a Holy War [Sam 30th MT]

Post by Maeve »

A tent was all the recruitment center had, yet in these parts a tent was more than sufficient, shielding those within from the hot winds coming from the desert. It had been ordered by the Holy Sister that Dragonskeep should do its part in the recent crusades. The war against the demons of T'aquar might have been a success but more pagans remained to be converted. It was everyone's holy duty to pick up arms and follow the avatars creed.

On a more basic level, as the old seasoned soldier was patiently explaining to a group of youngsters, the legions of the king provided a steady income, food in your belly and a chance at heroics and possible wealth when one was lauded after the War.
Last edited by Maeve on Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Grimhyge

Post by Grimhyge »

The place didn't look like much to the dwarf as he approached it, just a tent among other tents on the desert's edge. He was irritated at having to pass so close by his previous employers; nonetheless, Grimhyge was on balance in a much better mood than he had been the previous day as he approached the 'Recruitment Center'.

A war! An actual war! And for the glory of Dominicus, no less. His blood quickened at the prospect of fighting the Imperialist infidels, of running the spike of his poleaxe through their idol-worshipping hearts. He did not need to hear the recruiter's talk. Let him save that crap for those foolish youths who weren't sure if they were ready to have anything sharp pointed at them.

"I'm in!" Grimhyge announced, interrupting the recruiter's speech to the humans who were listening to him. "I'm Grimhyge of the Howling Ice Mountains." That didn't sound good enough, so he added: "Grimhyge Blood-ash." Pleased with himself for having furnished himself a surname, he concluded: "Where do I sign up to fight the pagans who plague our kingdom?" The dwarf looked expectantly up at the recruiter, waiting to be given his hero's welcome.
Last edited by Grimhyge on Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

The soldier grinned and pushed forward a parchment, offering Grimhyge a quill "Right here. If you can't write a large X will do."

He waited for Grimhyge to manage that, adding "You'll be assigned as auxiliary troops to the Legion Purificatio. If you'd care to step inside you'll be fitted with armor should you require it and we have a functional portal to bring you straight to the battle field. Things can't be more easy these days. The things technology and magick do for us, eh?"

OOC:
You can post here but also post your entrance here. You appear to be traveling in time but that is because of timezone issues ;)
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Grimhyge

Post by Grimhyge »

[ooc: Didn't realize there had been a double-post, and I edited the second one before I realized it *was* the second one. Please ignore this one].
Last edited by Grimhyge on Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grimhyge

Post by Grimhyge »

Grimhyge grinned as he peered down at the parchment to find the place where he was to scribe his 'X'. It was a pity he did not write; he was still congratulating himself on inventing 'Grimhyge Blood-ash' and would have liked nothing better than to set it down on parchment for posterity. But his mark would have to do for now.

Looking up from the marked document, Grimhyge scowled at the recruiter as he listened carefully to what the man said next. The young dwarf realized that listening to and remembering exactly what was said was important. He did not need more armor, he ticked off in his head; though some day he would not mind learning to wear better armor than leather, there did not appear to be time for that. Straight into war with the infidel! he thought. THe prospect made his heart burn with ardor. Already he could feel Dominicus smiling down upon him as he slew the barbarians who denied His sovereignty over Tazlure and the heavens.

"Let's go then," he said, grasping his poleaxe and snapping to attention. "I don't need armor. A portal, you say? Hmmm. Don't know those things. But we'll see."

Without further ado he marched into the tent, dipping the tip of his weapon so that it would not catch on the cloth across the top of the doorway. More apprehensive than he would care to admit about the coming journey, the dwarf knelt briefly and offered a short but earnest prayer to the One God, thanking Him for such an opportunity to serve, and humbly begging His protection and blessing in the trials ahead (by which Grimhyge meant the travel through the Portal as much as the war itself).

[ooc: woohoo! I'm off to post in the portal thread. Thanks!]
Last edited by Grimhyge on Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “The Sands Archive”