Samheen 26 - Early ET - THE LUAU

Moderators: Syra, Dartimos Hammer, Mods

Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Post by Ashtallion Urdil »

The mage slowed his steps, somewhat surprised that the Lord had requested a word with him, in truth he did not know the name, Is it Argil?, however he remained silent, not wanting to embarress himself by looking foolish. " Most certainly my Lord. ", he slowed even further, his stride becoming purposeful yet maintaining his graceful demeanor. " How may I assit you? ", his eyes glanced between the Lord Argil and the back of his sister, easily spotted by the shimmering silver hair under the moonlight. Trying to make himself look calm and natural incase the Lord wanted to discuss something delicate.
Sevti
Retired staff

Post by Sevti »

OOC: Because we have different PCs having different conversations at diifferent tables, we've split you off into different threads for those conversations. This thread will be temporarily locked until there is need for everyone to react to things again.

In the meantime, Alu, Loraith and Morn's conversation will be here.

Delenedra and Kaleen's conversation will be here.

Asht and Argil's conversation will be here.
"First let's just unzip your religion down" - [i]Crazy[/i], Tori Amos
Tickle-fight champion.
[i]Avatar is At the Edge of the World by Electra[/i]
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

Post by Dartimos Hammer »

The fire was lit and crackling, flames leaping a dozen feet or more into the air. The air was chilly this close to the water, but with the fire and the blankets to lay on prepared by the wait-staff, it was comfortable.

The band was playing off to one side, light and relaxing music; nothing that would interfere with the conversation.
Comfort Level =D / Age = 41 (Gasp!!!)
Posting 1-2 times per week.
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Delanedra nervously plucked the strings of her lute, going on ver the scales, with a finger poised just above the strings. I shouldn't be so nervous, I KNOW this song. But why am I so... ahhh... She paced as she walked back and forth still playing the notes over and over.

She cleared her mind as best she could. I'll play much better if I not worrying. Delanedra told herself as she worked. "Yes," she said aloud, smelling the smoke and the sea-salt air mixing. "I'll play so much better if I'm not focused on it..."
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

The party continued on for half a mark or so, before Kaleen stood up from where she lay on one of the blankets to walk over to where the band was playing. The were just picking up the beginning notes of an instrumental version of a common folk song. With out missing a beat, the adhiel, matched them, tempo and key, to provide the vocals that the band had been planning to do without.

Her singing was apparently effortless, climbing scales and carrying notes all without straining or ever appearing to need to strain to breathe. As she sang conversation around the bonfire stuttered and stopped, couples and groups turning to listen.

As the finished the applause was loud and spontainious, many of the partygoers rising to thier feet and calling out in appreciation. Kaleen bowed, her long hair falling off her shoulders as she waved back to the band sharing the applause with all who had made it happen.

As she stood up straight, Kaleen pointed to Delanedra and waved her over to join her in front of the band.
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Del's blood turned to ice and her legs to pillars of stone. She couldn't move, she could bearly breath. This performance was far far removed from all her previous performances- except the one in the inn, but that'd been another matter entirely. She'd had a few dozen people looking at her then, and she'd felt much more intune and ready to perform.

Each slow step was agonizing as she made her way towards Kaleen. Just do it, don't think. Don't think just let the words flow...water... I have to be like that, no worries or direction. She reminded herself, Delanedra looked back at the the band, her eyes moving to Kaleen. I can't match her. I can't match my teacher. No. I will match Kaleen's ability- one day- but for now I'll just be myself. I can do no more or less.

Delanedra took one step closer to Kaleen and waited, perhaps there would be some sort of signal that'd let her know what they were going to sing.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

As she approached the band, the adhiel around the fire grew silent waiting to see what was next. In the silence the fire crackled and the waves rolled, providing thier own rythem and melody.

Kaleen leaned over to the band leader and wispered something. He nodded and called out to the members of the band. They took a moment to tune up again in the chilly air before turning attentatively to the maestro.

His hand raised up and signaled a downbeat, just as Delanedra reached Kaleen. With his signal, the band started playing the opening chords to Love and Faith. Kaleen, having dropped her voice an octave, took the opening verse sung as the father, describing the creation of the world, the giving of life both to the mortal races, and to his own children.

Soon, Delanedra knew, the verse would end, and the second stanza, sung by the mother would be next. As the completion of the verse came and the band started to play the interlude, Kaleen gestured at her student, a look of what appeared as absolute confidence on her face.[/b]
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

The achadhiel listened to the music and verse. She knew this song, she smiled. Nothing to it. She let the music envelope her senses and consumed her heart and soul. She began to sing on the second verse allowing her mind to drift, using the way her mother sand it to her as as a child to act as a template for her own voice.

She let her hand move slightly in order to keep her on track, the music was the same but for some reason it sounded slightly foreign to her, perhaps it was the fact that she'd not heard it in so long. It'll have been... nearly five years. she said to herself trying to not to become distracted. If Kaleen was confident in her, then she could do anything. Singing her best, she took the part of the mother- her voice spreading out like a fine ocean mist.

Relaxing Delanedra picked a point - an object which she could focus on as she began to sing, she let her mind float away. She used the sound of the sea to help her mentally conjure images, ones she hoped would be universal, she carefully began to actually use the sea images in the song, not so much changing the words as emphasizing certain words. She brought the feeling of drifting free on the waves, borne aloft by sea foam and swiming beneath a calm clear waters, of the sea. Her heart pounded, she had kept the lyrics the same, but somewhere she knew perhaps the she had changed the meaning of the song. Letting her vocals turn into the soft sounds of the sea when all was quite, the sound of silence.

She blinked, realizing that she might have left herself slip too far into her own, she looked around at those assembled, attempting to gauge they're reactions. Did I do ok? I hope I've not made Kaleen feel like she should have taken me as her student. She took a wobble step back from the gather group. I put my heart and soul into that song, maybe... Kaleen probably didn't like it, it was probably awful. She berated herself as she closed her eyes momentarily wishing she could dissapear from the midst of the people, though she knew that was never going to happen.
Last edited by Delanedra on Tue May 02, 2006 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

As final chorus began Kaleen joined Delanedra she too had picked up the power and rythym of the sea. Her voice counterpointed Delanedra's, rising and falling, creating a melody between them that was both inexerable and irresistable.

She blinked, realizing that she might have left herself slip too far into her own, she looked around at those assembled, attempting to gauge they're reactions. Did I do ok? I hope I've not made Kaleen feel like she should have taken me as her student. She took a wobble step back from the gather group. I put my heart and soul into that song, maybe... Kaleen probably didn't like it, it was probably awful. She berated herself as she closed her eyes momentarily wishing she could dissapear from the midst of the people, though she knew that was never going to happen.

The silence stretched out giving the young achadiel time to think over all the mistakes she could see in her performance.

Then the applause started. It too was a wave, gathering strength as it rolled past each adhiel whose pounding hands added to the rolling roar. Kaleen reached over to pull on her wrist, gaining the stunned Delanedra's attention and together the two of them bowed, imersed in the waves of approval.
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Delanedra for the briefest of moments felt her leggs to turn to stone, but as Kaleen took her wrist she felt her entire body turn to water. She bowed, afraid to look out at the audience, to inturrept the dream she was immersed in. Have I done it? Did I actually do something right? She thought, she smiled widely enjoying the sound of waves of appluased crashing against her ears.

The young achadhiel, looked at her mentor smiling. And waited for a long moment unsure what would be said- a word of praise or admonition?
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

Kaleen said nothing for a long moment, just stood there drinking in the applause until it faded away. Then with a gentle tug on her wrist, she led her protge` back to a blanket to sit upon.

"Very good, songbird. Very good indeed. It seems I made the right choice bringing you in."

With a wave she gestured at one of the servitors who was bringing around glasses of desert wine. She took a light amber ice-wine and gestured for Delanedra to select something.

"But unless you never want to perform in front of a group larger than this we need to expand your musical vocabulary. Tomorrow we will start exploring the different forms of music and see what you feel drawn to."
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Delanedra walked, placidly off away from the crowd. She moved like as if she was in a dream, each step slow and delibrate. She nearly collapsed on the blanekt, she lay face down for a moment taking a few long deep breaths.

"Huh?" she asked at Kaleen's words of praise, her mind wasn't focusinging. She pushed herself up onto her elbows, then after being offtered the wine she chose the same amber ice-wine Kaleen had.

She shook the glass a little bit watching the ice and their small specs dance in the light colored liquid. "Oh ok." she said unconcernedly. "Do you think I'll be any good, at some other form of music?"
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

"Well you certainly have the pure voice to sing most forms," Kaleen replied. She paused for a moment in thought. "I don't think you have the lungs for opera, at least not without a great deal of work, but the biggest question is what do you have the heart for? And we cannot answer that question until you have studied how the various forms present themselves."

As the two performers spoke, several of the adhiel came over to pay their respects or raised glasses to them in a silent toast from the blankets where they sat.
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

More studies? She raged silently. Haven't I studied enough? Well I guess I could always use more learning... I wonder what other forms of music are out there. She wondered silently. She relaxed on the blanket and took a sip of wine, blinking at the fact that she'd underestimated the strength the drink.

She makes a bit of a face. " I don't think I'd have the ability to sing opera either. Kaleen, have you ever been outside Kislovan? Perhaps we should go see what the world has to offer,rather than just studying it out of books and through tutors?" she asks "Well, I think I'd like to explore instruments... and more vocal music." she says after a few moments of thought. She raised her head at the adhiel who'd come over to them, a smile on her face.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

Kaleen, have you ever been outside Kislovan? Perhaps we should go see what the world has to offer,rather than just studying it out of books and through tutors?" she asks "Well, I think I'd like to explore instruments... and more vocal music."

Kaleen's response to this question was to laugh so hard that wine bubbles came out of her nose. She coughed for a moment while a couple of nearby adhiel dug handkerchiefs or napkins out for her. Once her breathing was under control, she continued.

"Oh, my little songbird, now I know why I keep you around. It is to make me feel young again. Yes, I have been to many of the Seven Isles, over fifty at last count. Not to mention tourning the Western Kingdom. You cannot learn music from books. Theory, yes. The history that led to the creation of a particular form? That too is important, and be learned by reading. But the music itself can only be learned by listening, and performing, and letting it settle into your heart. Over the next couple of days, I want to introduce you to several styles and see what touches you. Once we know that, then your training can begin in ernest. I know teachers and masters of many forms, and I will be sending you there to study with them. You will pay for your studies with performances as you learn. And few of the people I want you to work with live here on Kislovan."
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

The achadhiel covers her mouth to keep from embarassing herself, but eventually her laughter forces her to double over at the sight of the wine bubbles coming from Kaleen's nose.

She took a moment to watch the reactions of the others in the nearby area, Didn't they find that at all ammusing? The young woman asked herself. "Young? You can't be... that much older than I am..." she says trying to be respectful, and yet not be rude. She leaned back in the chair. "You've been other places? It's must have been wonderful..." she coughs and turns to look at the cluster of others, then smiles. "So does this mean, I can travel? I can see what else is out there?" Her smile grows, widder. "Thank you Kaleen!" she nearly stands up and hugs the older woman, but she restrains herself- No need to make a scene. I think I've embarassed Kaleen enough for one day.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

Kaleen had wiped herself clean she joined in the general laughter. "Songbird, I am probably twice your age. While this may not make me an old maid for an adhiel, I can assure you that if you are willing to live every day for everything it has, you will be amazed at the life you will be able to look back on when that time comes."

OOC:

Is there anything else you want to do here? If not I will go ahead and close out and skill this thread. Let me know.
Delanedra

Post by Delanedra »

Delanedra nodded, "I guess not. Though I guess compared to you, I'm truely a child, unknowledge about the world and anything and everything in it." she told her mentor. She took a deep breath. "But it's good to know that I'm not going to have to do things alone." she smiles, listing to the sea.

OOC: Close and skill.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Thread skilled.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “Kislovan Archive”