A Time to Heal - Alustariel - Sam 27, TT

Moderators: Syra, Dartimos Hammer, Mods

Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Post by Ashtallion Urdil »

Silently, Ashtallion sighed in relief. " Thank you Lord Argil, I would be honoured to stay at your Family estate, so long as I do not put anyone out of their way. I must collect my things from Lady Rhilana's estate first of all..... and then their is my studies....but I will find my way. ", he smiled and bowed to Argil before glancing to his sister once more. He nodded, almost to himself, before turning and striding from the temple with a swift pace.

" Oh.... Lord Argil, would it be entirely bothersome of me if I had the use of your coach once more, just to drop me off at the estate to collect my artifacts... I will send it back immediately... ", he looked on hopeful, otherwise it would be a fair walk for him.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

Post by Dartimos Hammer »

"Of course," Argil replied. "Please tell the driver to head back to the Palace after he has dropped you off at the estate. With the crowds gathering in the streets today I could walk back faster than he could drive, even if he gets back before I am ready to go. Someday we will develop a way to avoid congestion on our roads so that an adhiel can get from home to work and back without spending the entire trip staring at the back of the cart in front of you."

He gave the new Lord Alurl a pressed parchment card, slightly smaller than his hand, firm and inflexible with the initials "A.I." in gold filligree. "This will assure the driver that your request is legitimate."
[/i]
Last edited by Dartimos Hammer on Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comfort Level =D / Age = 41 (Gasp!!!)
Posting 1-2 times per week.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Post by Ashtallion Urdil »

" My thanks, Lord Advocate... ", he stood back a step and bowed his head before smiling slightly and turning in his heel in a flourish of robes. Asht made his way out of the temple and into the ground where the carriage still waited not far off.

He wandered over and showed the driver the parchment Argil handed to him. The mage announced where he desired to go, yet did not wait for the door to be held open for him, taking the handle himself and entering the carriage.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

With a determined stride Argil returned to the hospital ward of the Temple, nodding at people he passed until he reached the sheet hanging in front of Alu's bed.

Reaching up he rapped firmly on one of the wood supports holding up the sheet.

"M'lady Alurl? May I come in?"
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

Post by Alustariel Urdil »

"You musn't of heard me, Milord Insurinn, I already bade you to enter" Alu said with a smile, Argil must not of heard her the first time, but no matter. "Please, do. I would be grateful for some talk to while away my time here"

When he pulled the curtain away she nodded in a gesture of welcome, there was no other seat in the room so she once again offered that he sit on her hospital bed - she was, anyway, more comfortable sitting in her chair.

"Did you call me Lady Alurl? Please, Lord Argil ... Alu will do ... or Lady Alu at the very least" she joked with a smile "Yes, that does sound nice. But to be serious, that name and title is my mother's, so I'd prefer me to call me as you always have ... simply Alustariel"

Alu smiled and finished off the last of her water, she inspected her newly stitched arm to admire the work of Rafal and make sure that all was well there.

"I dont suppose you heard me thank you earlier ... " she said, looking up "The Priestesses said that a man dropped me off her and had to report back to you. My brother told me you were angry that you were unable protect me ... Either the man who saved me and knew you came at a very convenient time ... or he was meant to be there. I don't care, nor want to know why I was being tailed, if I was ... but it was that act that ensured that I am talking to you this Tradetide - so I suppose, I have you to thank .. if my train of thought is correct"

"But the main thing is that I am alive so lets not dwell on that, let's have a change in topic" Alu ushered Lord Argil to sit with her "Did you know my mother, personally?"
[i]Abara kadabara, alakazaaaaam![/i]
Posting on Tuesdays and Thursdays
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

Argil came in and sat down on the corner of the bed facing her. "I did hear your invitation, but after the time your brother and I spent talking, I did not want to burst in at an inconvienient time."

"I will say that due to events beyond my control, I needed to keep some secrets from the two of you until I could confirm certain things. Now that I am certain the time for secrecy is past. If there is anything you wish to ask me Alustariel, just ask."

"For example, the title in question is in fact yours, not your mother's. She relinquished it when she violated certain Kislovian statutes about inter-racial mixing and public relationships. I would hazard to guess that she did not even know that because the two of you are true adhiel, that the title and privliges could re-instate themselves. That is probably why you were never told. She did think there was any thing to tell."

"I personally never met your mother, she had left the island before I was born. She and my mother were quite good friends before she left. Pehaps she could tell you more."
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

"Lord Argil, I knew that my mother had an affair with a human freedman. I'm not sure whether she told Ashtallion too, she did not even directly speak to me about it. I overheard. I did not know she broke the code of conduct of the Kislovani nobility in doing so. To any other details of the affair I know naught"

Alustariel shifted in her chair and sipped the last of the water out of her glass and placed it back next to the pitcher.

"So, I am Lady Alurl then" she said with a weak smile, like a child who had seen the boots she was too wear ... and thought them all to large and more grand than she could feel comfortable with "Perhaps I may speak to your Lady mother, to see if there any of my mother, Elamshin's, family that would still be civil towards her ... or us"

At that last thought Alu rested back in her chair rested her hands on the armrests. "All the same, I'd still prefer to be called by both you, and Lord Morniendur, as Alustariel" she said with a smile "None of this Lady stuff ... at least when we're not in public"

"There is one major concern that I must speak on with you Lord Argil" Alu took a deep breath before saying this and her tone was considerably graver, her eyes - which seemed to sparkle with frivolity a moment before were now dark grey orbs of worry "As you know it was six humans that ambushed me ... what has it done to the Adhiel Human tensions at present?"
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

Alustariel shifted in her chair and sipped the last of the water out of her glass and placed it back next to the pitcher.

As she set her glass down Argil got up quickly and taking the pitcher, refilled her glass. Seating himself back on the bed, now sitting directly across from Alu, he listened to her continue.

"As you know it was six humans that ambushed me ... what has it done to the Adhiel Human tensions at present?"

"Nothing good certainly. The ganimor that attacked you", Alu heard the anger in his voice as Argil chose the word for demon or monster rather than the more common ninadhiel - non elf. "Were they simply acting out of some misguided attempt to avenge Souffiene, was this a calcuated reaction by the Brotherhood hoping to create a greater sense of terror, or was it about who you are and the title you bear."

"This is something I did not have time to tell your brother, but bears a great deal on why there has been so much interest in you by
some of the people watching you. The Alurl family is a small one, with a some farmland near Cerleannabh. Much more important is that it is a branch of the Anghiril clan. You are a cousin to both Mithuinn Anghiril,
the Lady Senechal of the Chamber and her son Cuhir, the current Lord Exchecquer and her heir. Given the current state of affairs and the twisted laws that form Kislovani Inheritance Statutes,..." as he spoke Argil gave a sad shake of his head, knowing this was a topic that would put any sane adhiel to sleep, but of which he was the Crown's own expert.

"you and your brother have a legitimate claim to her titles and lands, and when she is informed you exist, she may well choose to name one of you as her actual heir."

Knowing full well the weight of the words he had spoken, Argil reached over and handed Alu the now refilled glass of water. He wanted to give her time to consider his words in silence and respond to them before he continued on.
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

OOC: One issue, Darti. When Alu met the Lady Seneschal a few days ago, she was named Lady Faluinn Duedheal. More than one? What do we do? :D :P

IC:

"Thank you, Lord Argil" Alu acknowledged as he poured her another glass of water. It was a gesture she knew was polite and good to do in the company of a woman - but with what Asht had already told her, she had expected Lord Argil to be so charming towards her.

"Then this whole issue may be a little more advanced then you might earlier have thought" Alu said taking the first sip of her water "The Lady Seneschal already knows of our existance here, if it is the one and the same Lady Seneschal that I have met. I went to her when Asht and I first arrived in Kislovan - we were scared so we took the incognito travelling names of Lustra Silverhair and Lustros Goldeneye - She saw right through my ruse ... in front of her I revealed all including our true identities"

Alu took another, quiet drink from her water and took a moment to contemplate a little. "I had expected that the men who attacked me were in it for vengance over Souffiene - to which I might add, I deserved ... perhaps not as violently as they punished me ... but I will always rue what I did to that girl"

She paused a moment as the full reality of her next words hit home "But are you implying, Lord Argil - and any implication is safe with me ... our words won't leave this healing hall" she disclaimed with a polite smile, knowing well the complexities of political intrigue "You are implying that Lord Exchequer Cuhir took advantage of the current civil problems to strike at me and eliminate me as a possible threat to his inheritance?"

"Why would the Lady Seneschal change her mind - what is it about the Lord Exchequer that makes him an inadequate heir? .... though perhaps that is a silly question given the fact that he is willing to murder Asht and myself to solidify his claim"
Last edited by Alustariel Urdil on Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

"I believe you refer to your meeting with Lady Faluinn Duedheal. News of that meeting is part of what led me to discover your identity. She is the Lady Senechal of the City and responsible for the day to day civic operations. Those things needed keeping a city this size running. I refer to Lady Mithuinn Anghiril, the Lady Senechal of the Chamber, chosen confident of the Queen, and director of day to day operations of the Palace."

"As to Cuhir", and while there was no change in the controlled features of the Lord Advocate's face Alu could hear the same tone used for Cuhir's name that he had used to describe her attackers earlier.

"The fact that he is willing to have you killed probably would not really have displeased his mother. You are part of a powerful family that has played games like this for centuries. The problem is his issue, or lack thereof. Cuhir is now over 200 years old and without family. It is unlikely that he could start one now and this could lead to grave fighting in the family after his death over the next succession. Mithuinn is nearly 300 and determined to leave her house in order. She might well decide that you or your brother would make a better choice to be able to insure smooth continuation of the house."[/i]
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

"Ah, then forgive my mistake" Alustariel bowed her head ever so slightly in apology at mistaking the identities of the two Lady Seneschals - she was somewhat glad, the Lady Seneschal of the City was a stiff and stern biddy indeed - the thought that she might be related to her had caught her off balance.

"But in any event I do see your point. Cuhir sounds like greedy and ruthless - it is not an uncommon trait even amongst the Adhiel ... but it would be a shame to see House Anghiril fall to such" Alu placed her have finished glass back on the table next to her for later. She was calm now, even when she started to think that perhaps she and Asht had jumped out of the frying pot and into the fire.

"The way you talk of Cuhir, Lord Argil, you make it sound as though he commanded the attack on me - and those men ... their hatred of me and our kind ... could easily be members of the Brotherhood. Have you ever discovered any link between the Lord Exchequer and the Brotherhood or likewise human mercenaries? Do you suspect that such a link exists?"

Alustariel straightened out a few creases in her hospital robe, she could not wait to be back in her light Kislovani sari. The heat of the sun, even at Tradetide made her feel that the garment the Priestess' had put her in had the same effect as an oven ... but then again, she was used to the more moderate tempratures of the Citadel.

"And one other thing. Why would the Lady Anghiril see only Cuhir or Asht and myself as possible heirs. Are you telling me that there are no other Anghirils? ..... or Alurls? Did something happen to them, did it have something to do with the Brotherhood ..... or Cuhir?"
Last edited by Alustariel Urdil on Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

"And one other thing. Why would the Lady Anghiril see only Cuhir or Asht and myself as possible heirs. Are you telling me that there are no other Anghirils? ..... or Alurls? Did something happen to them, did it have something to do with the Brotherhood ..... or Cuhir?"

So far in the short time she had known Argil, he had impressed her as an adhiel who was not afraid of his emotions, but definitely someone who was in control of them.

As she spoke, however, the anguish on his face was plain and open for anyone to see. As Alustariel finished speaking Argil paused for a moment, inhaling a long deep breath, clearly centering himself before continuing.

"You were not here for The Disappearance. I will perhaps leave it to the priests here at the Temple to fill you in on the details, they have a greater understanding of the working of the Gods than do I. But a large percentage of the adhiel on Kislovan disappeared for several days. A much smaller percentage returned at the end of the ordeal. My wife and son were both among the taken. My wife returned."

"My son did not." His words hung in the air as he again swallowed, putting his pain back in whatever locked cupboard he kept it.

"It is wish of Her Highness that the Archrolilel, her dedicated servants, act as though nothing has happened as much as possible in public. We cannot let the citizens of Kislovan feel that the island is at risk. That way lies panic and chaos. We cannot let the Western Kingdom see any sign of weakness. That way lies invasion. So we continue."

"Lady Mithuinn Anghiril had three sons. Cuhir was the youngest, and never expected to see any position in the family and seem quite content in his position. However, his brothers and thier families did not return. Cuhir is now heir as her only direct family. Having been named heir, he is working hard to cement that position and his new found power."

"However, that position is not absolute. Lady Anghiril may name another relative, based on certain restrictions, who she identifies as better for her family and for the crown. House Anghiril is justifyably famous for its Battle Mages. If we are in for conflict in the future, Mithuinn may want that power at the head of the family. You two are not the only possible challangers to Cuhir, but you are the most likely."
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

Alustariel's face was fraught with concern. Could she have misjudged this Lord before her? She had thought him so common of all Adhiel nobility, distant and aloof - but perhaps he was for different reasons. The Loss of a child was near too much to bear, her own mother had grieved when they thought Alu lost all those years ago. But for your child to be whisked away to a different land, to live in total uncertainty until news of his unfortunate fate is reavealed - such must have taken it's toll on Argil.

"Oh, my Lord Argil, forgive me. My deepest sympathies" she took a moment to let these words fall. Even though Argil's countenance remained unchanged, Alu could guess that her question had caused moderate distress.

"I too know the Dissapearance you speak of. I was leaving Taquar at the time, many Adhiel simply vanished. Though the Queen's desire to keep this quiet is a wise one. Kislovan needs no external enemy to couple her internal strife."

Alu took a sip from her water and looked at Argil closely. Did she still think he was a Firelord? Could he be?.

"I am an outsider, despite my heritage here. But it seems that Kislovan is heading for dire straits, trouble from within and the threat from outside if our problems are told of in different lands, and an insidious Lord Exchequer does not help things. I want to help, Argil" she used his first name ... was that polite, or even allowed? She quickly corrected herself "Sorry ... Lord Argil"

"However, I am too powerless to perform such heroics, and if I am to survive Cuhir's designs I will need help. I need to speak to Chandi, she's a Battle Mage I was going to see when I was ambushed. I must continue my training. Can you approach her, on my behalf? Or see if she would come to me, I can pay and I would much rather spend my recovery time in the pursuit of knowledge" her tone was hopefull, but not pleading or begging, if she would have had the magickal prowess she craved the humans would have rued their encounter with her ... she was going to be a Battle Mage, that thought had never left her mind since fleeing the Citadel.
Last edited by Alustariel Urdil on Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

I want to help, Argil" she used his first name ... was that polite, or even allowed? She quickly corrected herself "Sorry ... Lord Argil"

"Just Argil is fine", he softly corrected before she continued.

As she finished Alu could see that he was slowly shaking his head, his eyes wide in wonder. He laughed, a dry chuckle with no humor in it.

"Chandi. The adhiel that even now the Brotherhood of the Wolf is painting as a callous murderess with no regard for human life wants to send a member of the Kislovani Government to request training from a woman who may well be the most powerful human battlemage of this generation. You do not aim small my lady."

He rose and reached down to take her less bandaged hand, raising it so that he could bow to kiss the knuckle. "Kislovan needs people that do not aim small. I will do what I can." Gently putting her hand back down he made ready to depart.
Alustariel Urdil
Civus

When Argil began to shake his head, Alu felt that she may have overstepped the mark, that Lord Argil would refuse her and feel her unworthy of his friendship, his dry laughter reinforcing her dread.

But then the Lord said something that caught the silver maid off balance. Chandi was a human. Alu took a breath that seemed as deep as the ocean in surprise. Chandi's race was not a problem - it was the fear that the Brotherhood's portrait of Alu would cause Chandi to refuse her.

She could clearly understand why her request was so improper, a member of the Kislovani cabinet, one who the Brotherhood would relish bringing down asking a powerful human mage to train another Adhiel.

Yet, surprisingly, Argil said he would do what he could, and that was simply enough for Alu.

"It is a request only, Argil, if you wish to decline I would not blame you. How could I? And do forgive my impertinence in asking you" she smiled as he kissed her hand, his touch was gentle and carefull and Alu felt no pain "But if will do this, speak to the Healers on the way out - they have my personal effects and therefore should have a letter of introduction from Lord Battle Mage Falgan's secretary Miranda. It is addressed to Chandi, I was on my way to see her when I was attacked"

Kislovan needs people that do not aim small, I will do what I can Argil had said. Alu felt a nice warm and fuzzy feeling that she had just won a certain degree of acceptance from the Lord Advocate, she beamed up at him.

"I do want to make a difference here" she said in response, holding his gaze, as he made ready to depart she let the gaze fall. "Should you find the time, I am always happy to have a visitor here. I shall loose my sanity if I am not out of her soon, but a good conversations will always do me well" she chuckled.

"Oh and ... Argil, please keep an eye on Asht ... just to see that he's safe" she said knowingly as if she suspected that Argil already was. Her brother was powerful enough, but despite his certainty that he would seek revenge for her wounding - she did not want him to. If Cuhir was behind this, Asht was also in danger. If she lost her brother she would be devastated and broken beyond repair.

"Take care, my Lord, Argil" she offered him a goodbye before he left her alone in the chamber. Perhaps the Healers would wish her in bed straight away, but she would like to sit up a while and think before she took her rest.
Last edited by Alustariel Urdil on Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dartimos Hammer
Mod Trainee

OOC: Plotting and planning. Planning and plotting. It takes so much time to organize and orchestrate random chaos and violence. :twisted:

Unless you have anything else you would like to do here I would like to close out this thread (see below) and start the ET thread.
--------------------------------------------------

"Oh and ... Argil, please keep an eye on Asht ... just to see that he's safe" she said knowingly as if she suspected that Argil already was.

Argil responded with a sketch of a bow while bringing his fist up over his heart. Then with a turn and a spring in his step he took his leave.

Alu was almost right. The staff did want her to rest, but sitting was as good as lying down they said, and they did hope she would eat something, at least some broth if her jaw was still to sore to chew.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Thread skilled.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “Kislovan Archive”