The Punt Den - ET Samheen 29th (Darjan and Marcus)

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Darjan Cain
Criminal at large

The Punt Den - ET Samheen 29th (Darjan and Marcus)

Post by Darjan Cain »

The Punt Den
Deep in SouthBridge lies a small, but locally well-known pub. Shabby where Ranley Tavern is considered clean, unsafe where Ranley Tavern is considered safe, hostile to newcomers where Ranley Tavern is considered welcoming, and shady where Ranley Tavern is considered honest.

A crude, wooden sign swaying and creaking in the wind hung above the entrance. Once it had depicted a pretty barmaid and a stack of cards, now those were barely recognizable, and the crude lettering was not easily read: 'Punt Den'.

Strategically situated between the Promenade Theatre and Madame Panicci's brothel, Punt Den holds open only from eveningtide third mark, but its doors remain welcoming until morningtide. Spectators of the later and more dubious shows of the Promenade Theatre often spends the marks after in the Punt Den, discussing the night's performances, and indeed some of the girls of the Theatre comes here looking for an extra coin after having advertised their looks on the stage. But these are the lesser stars, many the crowd's favourites usually head straight for Madame Panicci's or take their leave with clients when the show is over.

It is the less attractive and less professional of Madame Panicci's girls who attend the Punt Den, and the connection between the brothel and the pub is a silent one. Where Madame Panicci houses guests from both the upper and lower classes and emphasizes privacy and discretion, it is the latter classes who frequents the Punt Bar where whores and their clients finds themselves a corner rather than a private room. Even so, relaxing with a beer in the Den is popular sport either before or after a visit to Madame Panicci's.

A wooden door opened into the main room of Punt Den with its long bar and crowded tables. Barmaids hurried between the guests, successfully and unsuccessfully evading pinches and grabs from the male customers, who were the definite majority in the establishment. A few daringly dressed girls scanned the guests for potential customers, and indeed a few already had clinched with clients in corners or behind tables. There was a stench of sweat, beer, smoke and even congealed blood in the air, mixed with raucous laughter, the clink of glass and loud conversation.

A stairway led down to the basement where the gambling took place. Stakes varied from a mark at Madam Panicci's to crown upon crown in games of all varieties.

This was not the place Darjan wanted to be he reflected, as he pushed open the grimy door and quietly slipped through it into The Punt Den. Alas, there was nothing else for it. He would much rather have been relaxing in The Ranley Tavern, a far more pleasant place and the clientele was certainly several cuts above the dross that flowed through The Punt Den's doors. That, however, was just the reason Darjan found himself slithering through the drunken crowds that stood within the tavern. These damned Oneists required that he have an Exemption Licence or he risked being ejected from the city. Certainly he could find his way back in, and make whoever had dared question his loyalty to World's Mouth pay in whatever manner he could, but it was far more convenient to secure a licence. Except they required more money than he had. He was certainly not entertaining the thought of working to make the money, or at least not the honest and toiling work that was so poorly paid. No, he intended to secure an Exemption Licence through far less legitimate means, or at least begin to make the money for it in such a manner.

That, then, was how the achadhiel found himself amongst the plebeians he so detested. His eyes naturally strayed around the room, taking in those who looked like plausible marks to have their purses lifted, mainly the more drunken customers, but such petty activity was not his prime reason for being here - he wanted to establish who it was that could set him on the right track to getting an Exemption Licence, and to discover who it was that gave out the less than legal jobs in this part of town.

Naturally one did not simply waltz in and ask the first person one found. Even if that was the done thing, it was not Darjan's way. Instead he fought his way to the a table, managing to keep a disdainful sneer from his face, and waited for someone to take his order. The smell was terrible, and he suspected there would be no palatable wine. Even if there was, it was unlikely that such an order would endear him to the people present - that was also why he had chosen to wear the dark and common clothes he owned, rather than the finely made and expensive fabrics his father had so mocked him over. But then his father was a drunken sot whose opinion counted for less than nothing. Darjan wore a knife at his belt, though it was further round than usual so that his cloak obscured it from easy view. A stiletto was housed quite comfortably within the bracers on his arm. He wore his white shirt over the bracers, but the cuffs were cut in such a fashion that he could reach the knife if needs be.
Last edited by Darjan Cain on Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2nd PC for Corbin Dillon

Avatar by Sedone Thongvilay at [url=http://www.epilogue.net/cgi/database/art/list.pl?gallery=2145]Epilogue[/url]
Maeve
The Dragon & Game Designer

Post by Maeve »

A serving wench took his orders, leaning into him so that he could not miss her low cut neckline and fine chest. Ale was the poison of the Den and its smell filled the air, mixing with the stench of wet wood and people smoking. Like all evenings the Punt Den was busy. The bartender gave a friendly wave, even though he kept a weary eye on the achadhiel. There were several tables occupied with that looked to be regular patrons.

All around him Darjan heard whispers of the ULT, the labor union that was taking the Mouth by storm.
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Darjan Cain
Criminal at large

Post by Darjan Cain »

The ULT Darjan thought to himself with contempt. A collection of the poor underclasses trying to deprive their betters of wealth. It sickened him - but then again their name kept cropping up. Undoubtedly they were involved in less than honest measures - any body comprised of the poor working classes would be. And that was what Darjan was seeking, less than honest employment. He didn't like the ULT, but then he didn't like most people, and he had no particular compunction about taking money from them. If of course they would offer him anything - after all they didn't know of him, nor of his talents. Indeed he prided himself on that being indicative of his talents. One could steal, but to steal only a little did not raise too much suspicion or ire.

The harlot that served him his drink leaned in towards him, exposing her ample cleavage. Darjan sniffed, slightly. As if he would be prepared to touch such a foul creature as would work in this dive. The bartender was barely better, such presumption as to wave at him. Yet, Darjan was no fool - he knew that the staff of such places often knew of those that were important and well connected. So, with an inward sigh of distaste he offered the pestilent wench that was taking his order a flash of a charming smile.

"Good even tide to you my dear lady." He observed with a quick glance at her chest that she would certainly notice, though he was loathe to do it. "An ale, if you please - and the name of a man I could speak to about securing one of those deuced inconvenient Exemption Licences." He said in his silky tones.
2nd PC for Corbin Dillon

Avatar by Sedone Thongvilay at [url=http://www.epilogue.net/cgi/database/art/list.pl?gallery=2145]Epilogue[/url]
Maeve

Post by Maeve »

She giggled at his use of the word lady, a really nasal sound, before swaying away to the bartender.

"The word on the street is that you ought to inquire after Bishop," the wench whispered as she came back with a foaming ale, presenting her bosom should he be wanting to have a taste or better still drop in some coin for her services "He comes here often," she assured him, "Why he was here just days ago."
[i][b][color=orange][size=92]Smile and carry a big stick.[/color][/b][/i][/size]
Darjan Cain
Criminal at large

Post by Darjan Cain »

Bishop? Well there was a name to begin with. He wondered whether it was truly the mans name, or perhaps one of those epithets the criminal class were so enamoured with. Though if the man was able to help Darjan in the manner currently necessary it was unlike he had any strongly held religious beliefs.

As the barmaid moved back towards him it was impossible to avoid the surplus of breast that she had on show. The prospect of playing any part of his body within, on, or even near the sweaty flesh was a revolting one. Of course he knew that a woman such as this would demand payment for the services she had rendered, and so he reached into his belt pouch and withdrew a banner. He idly wondered how much more expensive it would be to bed her - for he was sure that such a woman as this in such a place as this could be bought. No doubt not very much, but then one got what one paid for, and Darjan suspected that he would be paying for discomfort when he passed water for weeks.

Yet despite his coarse thoughts he kept a smile on his face and offered a customary, complimentary leer at her breasts, before dropping the coin in between. He almost shuddered.

"Well, my dear - you have I name I hope? - I should like to speak to this Bishop." He said pleasantly. "Do you see any of his acquaintances here this eventide?" He said with a smile, forcing his eyes to take another look at her chest, though the thought continued to repel him. The things one did for ones ease of mind.
2nd PC for Corbin Dillon

Maeve

Post by Maeve »

"I am Norina," she giggled once again, in a high pitched voice that was likely faked as she retrieved the banner "Bishop's not here, nor are any of his.. friends.. Which is strange. But he's said to hang out with some of the Hart guys sometimes." She pointed to a couple of thugs that were sitting broodingly together, whispering over their mugs of ale, a game of dice forgotten.
Darjan Cain
Criminal at large

Post by Darjan Cain »

Norina. The name dripped with ugliness and poverty. How a parent could cripple their child in such a way as she entered the world was beyond him. Darjan may be cruel, but he was not that cruel.

"I am delighted to have made your acquaintance, Norina. Truly it is a name to make men sigh." He said. "Your information is much appreciated - mayhaps you have prolonged my stay in the city with your assistance, and for that I am grateful. I would also be grateful if you could bring two mugs of ale over to the gentlemen you indicated to me." He said, slipping another banner into her cleavage, plus the payment for the ale. "I trust you shall enjoy yourself this evening." He said with a smile.

No doubt enjoyment to her was rolling around in a filthy bed, sweating and grunting with an overly drunk patron atop her. The activities of the poor were simple and base.

He straightened up, away from the piggy little woman and surveyed the two men he was intent upon speaking with. They seemed thuggish, sullen and secretive. Criminals in short. Detestable, of course, but necessary. After a moments survey he walked calmly over to the table they were sat at.

"Good even tide. I would speak with you about an acquaintance of yours, who I would like to become an acquaintance of mine." He said, deciding against any prolonged introduction - he was worried he might overly confuse the brutes before him.
2nd PC for Corbin Dillon

Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The two men, eagerly drinking the ale that Darjan had bought them, looked at him suspiciously but drew him a chair "Sit down and drink with us. We might consider it."
Darjan Cain
Criminal at large

Post by Darjan Cain »

It appeared his time with the ruffians was to be prolonged. Not to sigh required a great exertion of will, but he won that battle. The one thing he was grateful for was that the general smell of the tavern must surely counter the terrible fragrance he expected came forth from these hooligans.

Setting his ale down at the table, Darjan drew over a chair and placed it by the table, before sitting down in it and taking a sip from the ale. Despite having had several tastes of it, he was not getting used to it. The rather unpalatable flavour filled his mouth.

Yet, despite the discordant thoughts currently running through his head, his face had a harsh set to it. His features might have been seemingly fragile, and his frame more slender than a humans, but his face had a stoney look to it, and his eyes carried a hint of menace.

"I am looking to speak with a man named Bishop." Darjan said before slowly raising his tankard to his mouth.
2nd PC for Corbin Dillon

Maeve

Post by Maeve »

The men looked at each other, then took a large swallow of their tankards. The most burly of the two burped loudly and then announced "He's dead. What else do you need?"
Darjan Cain
Criminal at large

Post by Darjan Cain »

Dead? Darjan put serious consideration into walking back over to the foul barmaid Norina and ripping the bribe he had given her out of her sweaty little trotters, and then perhaps waiting in a side-street nearby to teach her a lesson about giving him false information. A final lesson. But no, she was barely worth it.

"Dead, you say?" Darjan said, cool despite his moment of inner fury. "That is... inconvenient. I was hoping to secure myself an Exemption Licence and perhaps someone who might be able to put some well-paid work my way. Perhaps you know of such a person?" He enquired, his lips quivering as he lifted his mug of beer to his lips and tasted again of the liquid.
2nd PC for Corbin Dillon

Maeve

Post by Maeve »

A huge grin appeared on one of the man 'Well such a fine business is unlikely to die, now is it? Them merchants its hopelessly efficient about that. Word on the street is... oh now.. what was it again?" He stopped, waiting on Darjan to smooth his memory. This was fresh gossip and he was milking it for what it was worth.
Darjan Cain
Criminal at large

Post by Darjan Cain »

It would seem that a single drink was insufficient to loosen the tongues of these thugs. Greedy fools. Darjan wished there was some way that he could teach them a lesson in honouring an unspoken contract, such as a drink for information. Sadly there was, at this moment, nothing he could do to them, other than perhaps ambushing one of them outside, but he had little interest in dirtying his blade on one of these.

Darjan reached to subtly withdraw a banner from his coin pouch and place it on the table before the man.

"Perhaps that might jog your memory." Darjan said with an easy smile. "And should what you remember prove useful, it may get some company."

He hated these sort of people so very, very much.
2nd PC for Corbin Dillon

Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

The man reached for the coin almost as soon as it was offered, picking it up and eyeing it and it's previous owner with satisfaction. Apparently, this kind of bartering was exactly the kind he'd been hoping for.

"Yeah... seems to be coming back to me again, amico... I seem to remember it had something to do with the ULT, or is that just my memory playing tricks on me...?" He enquired of his friend, who merely shrugged and grinned - he would not say anything, since he had not received a sniff of the bribe. "I think that was it, the ULT. See, I always know more when I've been drinking, and these days a banner buys very little of the rat's piss they call beer in this dive."
Darjan Cain
Criminal at large

Post by Darjan Cain »

Well, at least this man had taste. Or perhaps didn't have a complete absence of taste, was more appropriate. His dislike for the beer in this place mirrored Darjan's, though the achadhiel refused to believe that a fine wine would be the man's taste. Probably marginally better beer would be sufficient to please him. But Darjan didn't need to discover the man's drinking habits. Indeed he didn't need to discover any of the man's tastes at all. What he needed was information, and it seemed all he needed to do was tip banners onto the table to achieve this. And so he did so, tossing three more banners to the man.

"Perhaps four banner shall be able to buy you a little memory." Darjan suggested. "And perhaps it will relate to where I could meet a representative of the ULT with sufficient standing to facilitate my needs." He suggested.
2nd PC for Corbin Dillon

Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

At the appearance of additional money, the thug looked pleased, first, and then thoughtful. In truth, he'd heard rumours but didn't know the whole of it - and this was apparent as he began to speak.

"Well... truthfully, amico, I know the ULT had something to do with it - and as everyone knows, Niccolo Alvero would be the man to speak to with anything concerning the ULT. He saved the little man, they said, from the Unions by making one of his own..."

"He's no saint," snorted his friend as if such an idea was ludicrous, "Signore Alvero just walked in where no-one else had gone and set up shop! I'll bet it's the power he's after, though I hear he's in Hart's pocket as sure as the rest of us are..."

"He's no saint, that's as maybe," The first man replied, evenly, "But that doesn't mean he's done no good for the working man, and you'd do well to remember that. Honestly, I know no more than that. But find Niccolo, and I'm told you'll find what happened to those licenses too."
Marcus Eramo
Criminal at large

Post by Marcus Eramo »

Eramo opened the door to Punt's Den and walked in slowly. As a boy he heard many tales about the Den, and used to enjoy sneaking in to rub shoulders with the murderers and cuthroats. Later he avoided the place like a leper colony when trying to pawn stolen goods. The rulers of the underworld did not like freelancers cutting into their territory without paying the proper dues and respect, and Eramo had neither to give.

And now, here he was again. Looking for a man he spent the last twenty odd years fearing; Hieronymus Hart.

It felt almost good to confront his demons, but he had butterflies that even alcohol could not diminish.
Marcus scanned the room for familiar faces then moved to the bar; his front to the Den it's self. Only a fool would leave his back open in a place like this.
Darjan Cain
Criminal at large

Post by Darjan Cain »

The little man? Did such a person deserve saving? His father was a 'little man', the smallest as far as Darjan was concerned and Darjan would not be inclined to save his father. Still, for the moment Darjan did not have the luxury of being able to choose who to work with. No, once he had his licence, and once he had a bit more money and greater experience in the underbelly of World Mouth society, then he could choose who he worked for, or indeed who worked for him. Yet, he had to play it carefully for he had no intention of becoming someones 'man'.

"So, Niccolo Alvero is the gentleman with whom I need speak." Darjan repeated. "Now, have you any idea where I might find such a man? And perhaps you might tell me who Hart is?" The bar-maid had mentioned the name as well. From the way he was referred to, Darjan suspected he was powerful, and it always paid to know powerful men.

As he spoke to the men his eyes caught sight of another man quietly entering the Den and glancing about before moving to the bar. Darjan focussed very briefly on him, and only when he was not looking. The man had entered not too long after Darjan - could it be the man was following him? Unlikely, but it paid to be cautious. After the glance, he swiftly moved his attention back to his temporary acquaintances.
2nd PC for Corbin Dillon

Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

The Den was busy tonight, and Marcus found moving to the bar an activity which took several burns and a lot of moving around strangers. Eventually, his goal was reached - the worn and grease-stained bar of the Punt Den, surrounded by a haze of strange faces and voices. Nobody appeared to notice him at all, least of all the overworked and underpaid barstaff. At least for the time being.

Only a foot away, and conceivably within eavesdropping distance, Darjan framed his questions to the two semi-sober strangers. He was just beginning to get an answer out of them as Marcus managed to reach the bar.

"Hart?" The first of the two men - the one who did most of the speaking - belched loudly and then laughed, though it was unclear for a moment if he were laughing at the belch or the question. "You want to know who Heironymous Hart is? Well, truly amico, you are new to these parts!" His companion laughed too, apparently finding the situation very funny.

"With those ears of yours, boy, I'm not certain it will matter for very much longer anyway, so I suppose I will tell you! I am a very generous man!" The first man grinned and took another swallow of his beer before continuing. "Signore Hart is my brother's keeper, so they say - and my keeper as well, come to that! He's the only name you need to know round these parts. This side of town, he's the only name that matters. You steer clear of him, unless you wish to become part of the family, and even then boy, you approach with great caution."

"And you speak to someone like us first." The second man, slightly more sober and slightly less prone to showmanship added, in a marginally quieter tone. "Hart is the head of the family, amico. He calls on you when he needs you, and you do as you are told. That is how families work."

"Yes yes yes..." The first man interrupted, banging his fist upon the table for emphasis, "His is the only family that matters in Southbridge! Now, were you wanting the family, or were you wanting the ULT? Because I can find you the family if that be your desire... but if you're wanting the Signore Alvero, then..." He shrugged, sadly, his enthusiasm draining from him, "Eh... I can't help you there..."

"All over," The second man ventured, vaguely, "The Union are all over the city, now. Wherever you find labourers, there you find the ULT and their badges and their men and their... work ethic..." He shrugged himself now. Clearly, the conversation was venturing into unknown territory for these two drunkards.

At this point, for Marcus, a barmaid had finally taken notice of him and presented herself as prettily as she could manage, leaning forward over the bar to offer him a quite unrivalled view of her bountiful cleavage from within a very low cut neckline. She wiggled, attracting his attention, and then smiled a slightly gappy smile. "Eveningtide, signore. What can I do to please you?" Norina's voice was somewhat nasal and high-pitched, and the little giggle she offered afterwards perhaps a little faked. A girl did what she could to earn a coin in the Den.
Marcus Eramo
Criminal at large

Post by Marcus Eramo »

Marcus gave the girl a knowing look.
"Be a dear, and get me a refreshing beverage. I need something to quench my thirst."
As she turned to go, he touched her arm.
"And there is more than a Banner in it for you, if it's better than the watered down swill you pass off as authentic Mouth Ale to the wayfarers."
At the end of his demand, he hooked in a little smile just to let her know he appreciated her many efforts.
Touching his cainine teeth with his tongue, Eramo returned his gaze to the table with the half breed elf and the two locals. Surprise, Surprise, they knew Hart. Or at least they knew a man, who knew a man that knows Hart from the look of things.

Never the less, Eramo's interest was more than slightly peaked. Turning away, he scanned the room again for familar faces then walked over to the table in question.
He made eye contact with the two locals, ignoring Darjan for the moment.

"Evening Gentleman, beautiful night to floss this half-breed behind the Den for all his money. And by the look of him, he must be an extremely good bird to pluck." He said sarcastically turning his gaze to the the half-elf.
"I couldn't help but overhear the jingle of two near empty money sacks. Being the caring person that I am, I would like to remedy that problem if you could get the sale overwith and direct us both for an audience with Hart. Here is two Lance, and there is more jingle when you tell me that ..."YES...Hart does want to speak with both you..RIGHT away" and get me to the man in question without second thoughts. Because let me tell you gents, this pointy ears could slit both your throats before a second thought could even be conjured. He's a regular butcher." He ended with a smirk. "How's that work your way?"
Last edited by Marcus Eramo on Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Darjan Cain
Criminal at large

Post by Darjan Cain »

Darjan listened impassively as the men spoke. The gentle impulse to pull his knife and lunge at the one that spoke of his ears was suppressed. Darjan was good at suppressing his rage - he had a lot of practice. Most likely the poor sap was jealous of his superior blood line. Jealousy often found release through insults. It was easier to mock someone than to admit that you wanted to be them. Had Darjan been a rational man he would probably have accepted that the man had given him information, and let the perceived insult slide away as a quid pro quo. Darjan, however, was no rational man, and as far as he was concerned quid pro quo was him giving the hoodlum before him money for the scratchings that he produced. Perhaps he would have occasion to even the scales at some time in the future. He committed the man to memory.

Even as his mind tossed over numerous unpleasant thoughts, he took in the information. Hart, then was the big man. No wonder he had heard words spoken about him. Now he could afix some meat to the bones that he already had.

He certainly did not want to become a member of some criminal family. He would do work for them, if needs be, but he would never become one of them. If he did that he would be set upon a path of mediocrity and servitude. Darjan's path was much steeper than that, and its terminus much higher. He needed a Licence, so he would get a Licence. He needed money, so he would get money. He needed to know how the under classes worked, so he would get knowledge. But he was, and would be, his own man.

He was about to respond when the man that had entered the Den came over to them. Darjan mentally braced himself for action, should this man be a threat, but his body stayed relaxed. As Marcus referred to him as a 'half-breed' another impulse of rage coursed through his body, and he felt himself wanting to reach for his blade. But that was not who Darjan was this evening. Instead he fixed cold eyes on the man with a steely gaze of distaste. When he spoke of Darjan as a butcher, his gaze changed fractionally as he looked at the man wondering how much he knew about Darjan. But it was only for a flicker or two, as he turned his eyes back to the thugs, saying nothing but awaiting their answer. Meeting Hart could not do too much harm.
2nd PC for Corbin Dillon

Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

The two men seemed passingly amused at Marcus's interruption, but they warmed to him as soon as he produced the two lance. Money was the heart of almost everything in World's Mouth, and could buy you almost anything. Here in the Punt Den, the Mouth's dark heart, money was the best way to introduce yourself.

This marginal warmth faltered a little, though, when Marcus began to circumspectly threaten the two men with an achadhiel. For a moment, it wasn't clear whether they would laugh or punch him.

"Amico..." The quieter, soberer man began, nothing particularly friendly in his voice, "Are you telling us you know this halfbreed, then?" He fingered the coins and then left them on the table, pointedly, "Because it sounds to me like you're threatening us with him..."

His friend snorted, unamused, saying nothing.

"...and I don't know how much of a... butcher this gentleman is, but there's plenty of money in plenty of pockets, and the way to Hart's pockets ain't through threats. Not to me, and not to him..." the soberer of the two jerked a thumb at his now silent companion, "...and not to Hart neither. Now, I suppose we might go for a walk, we might introduce you to Signore Hart... but I'm not certain he wants to meet two such rude and dangerous men, what do you think...?"

His friend shook his head, an unimpressed look on his face, and added in a slightly drunken slur, "I vote you boys tell us what your real game is. Throwing money and threats around, approaching us one all cautious and the other all up his own arse. What sort of game are you two playing here, then? Is it like, good human bad elf, or what? 'cause we were enjoying our beer and our conversation til the pair of you came along."

The soberer man nodded, slightly, and eyed Marcus with dislike, "What's your game with Hart, eh? The pair of you?"
Last edited by Finley Ward on Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darjan Cain
Criminal at large

Post by Darjan Cain »

It appeared, then, that the threats of the newcomer had no effect. No effect, that is, except to make the thugs angry. Such a thing was not particularly difficult, especially when they had been drinking. Darjan considered his options. He could of course disown Marcus. He owed him nothing at all - side with the thugs, assist in the administration of a beating, and thus gain their trust. Well, as far as such animals could comprehend the concept of trust.

The first crack at his heritage, Darjan could take, though coming on the heel of Marcus' words it rankled even more. But the second slight was too much. In truth it was not too bad at all, though incorrect because he was no elf. It was the tone of the man that caused Darjan's ire to raise once again. Even so, he controlled his temper as much as he could, his eyes merely growing colder, and a hard set taking his face.

"I belief you speak in error." Darjan said coldly. "You have no occasion to call me rude, nor justification to call me dangerous. I note that you are enjoying the drink that I bought for you."

"I may have a game, I may not, but rest assured that if I did I would not tell the likes of you, and even if I did its sophistication would be entirely too much for you." He added with a sneer. "Now, I have said all that I intend to. I want an exemption licence. You have told me where I can get it. As you have intimated that Hart has no time for my type I shall seek out the ULT. Let us hope that your Hart does not regret it." Darjan said as he turned to leave. He had had his fill of the two thugs. For the moment, at least.
2nd PC for Corbin Dillon

Marcus Eramo
Criminal at large

Post by Marcus Eramo »

Marcus smiled warmly at the men as his drink arrived. He took a sip waiting for the elf to finish. With a stronger, but slower tone he began to speak.

"Forgive the jest gentlemen. It was all a jibe at the elf's expense. To merit him a butcher, should be seen by men as yourself.. humorous."

He paused to take another sip, then calmly continued.

"Now as my coin has purchased your patience, I would see that it's weight bear upon you the importance from which my need stems to see your employer. It is still of an hour from which an audience may be received without being thought ..inconsiderate. I would request such a meeting.. that being myself and this fine young lad with me.
By delivering us to meet Mr. Hart, you will not only have the thanks of two very.... dangerous... men."

Eramo paused with a dry sarcasm. He smiled at Darjan with a knowing look as the man stood.

"But perchance fall into the favor of your employer as well, for these endeavors should both play to his advantage. To be clear gents, I have no relationship to the Half-Breed other than my need to make him the target of my distain, but seeing a friendship deteriorate so quickly on my account brings the eyes to tears."
Marcus raised his glass to the three men, making certain to hold eye contact. When speaking of the half-elf, his tone lingered with more play then spite.
Last edited by Marcus Eramo on Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:24 am, edited 5 times in total.
Finley Ward
Retired staff

Post by Finley Ward »

"To be clear, gents", the soberer of the two repeated with a snort. He had obviously had enough of them both, and reached some form of decision. As he got to his feet, it was apparent that this was one of those decisions that could be communicated with just a look - and his less sober friend joined him, an equally impenetrable look upon his face. As the drunker man stood, it became apparent that though rendered slightly unstable on his feet by the alcohol, he might well have had the half giant blood in his lineage at some point. He may not have been sober, but he was very very tall.

"Are we escorting one of you, or both?" The soberer, the speaker now, added with something very taunting in his face and voice. "Wouldn't want one of you ladies to get lost in the dark, after all." He fingered Eramo's coin, lazily, and then pocketed it in a very deliberate manner. And unlike Darjan's earlier bribe, Marcus's two lance went into the thug's pocket, not his purse.

Return to “World's Mouth Archive”