Pan's Isle/Ursa Etheria (Samheen 29th) - Ardal Awakens

Moderator: Mods

Pan's Isle/Ursa Etheria (Samheen 29th) - Ardal Awakens

Post by Guest »

As his eyes opened, Ardal's mind was completely blank. He could barely make out what his eyes saw, but it appeared to be solid rock. There was just enough light to be almost sure of that. He could feel that he was lying on his back upon solid ground, but it was uneven and he could feel pebbles sticking into his skin.

The memory of what had happened slowly drifted back to the young kanthrop. He had been walking along in the forest looking for plants, as his mentor had requested. There was a sudden, violent quake, far greater than the ones that had come before. He could remember hitting the ground. After that, his memory was blank.

Ardal sat up and looked around. He immediately wondered how he had gotten to this place. It looked to be a cave. Not far off from where he was sitting, he could see the opening.

Dear Ursa, what have I gotten into now?

The young kanthrop got to his feet and checked himself for injuries as best he could before slowly making his way toward the entrance to the cave, being cautious lest he trip over anything in the dark.
Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Brytan »

Memories of the past tides were vague. Ardal recalled waking up every now and again and seeing shimmery dark figures move around him, sometimes replaced by the visage of a person hovering over him, looking at him from close by as if something strange and alien. He recalled the crash, walking shortly afterwards and collapsing somewhere on the path out of Gnilwoh.

Now he found himself in a small cave. Outside the dusk was breaking as the sun rose somewhere over the treetops. A dense fog lingered just outside the cave, some of it drifting in aswell.

As he walked outside he stepped around various tidbits. Eating utensils, a doused fire, a bedroll and some other odds and ends. The sheen of metal reflected off of a spoon and knife as the sun shone a few rays through several cracks in the roof. This cave must be a fresh addition to the landscape...
Outside the landscape looked alien and desolate. He was obviously somewhere deep inside the Gnilwoh forest, as many trees still stood in some way or form, several tilted and broken, leaning heavily on their brethren around them. Spikes of rock protruded from the ground and stood among the trees like ragged teeth of some huge monster, it's jaws ready to snap closed and devour all that lingered within. The fog made everything look damp and mysterious, cold.

"Namaste stranger, I see you're finally awake."
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]

Post by Guest »

This was not the homeland he knew, at least not as he remembered it. Whatever the source of that great quake, it had decimated Ursa Etheria.

The thick fog unsettled Ardal. He could scarcely rely on his eyes in such an environment. He could feel the moisture of the fog dampening his skin, also troubling his breathing. He became aware that he felt cold only when he shivered. He was afraid to wander to far, as the earth had been greatly disturbed and he could easily trip and harm himself in this fog.

Seemingly out of nowhere, Ardal heard a voice greet him. It startled him and he inhaled sharply.

"Who is there? Reveal yourself!" he shouted into the mist.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

OOC: I'll be out of town for a few days so I'll leave you with this one to ponder upon...

Ardal was now standing just outside the cave. The voice had come from somewhere to his right, a light voice. Feminine and clear. As he turned to face the direction the voice had come from, a figure revealed itself from the mist. It was the figure of a slender, young woman. Short cut blonde hair revealed a pair of pointed ears set aside a narrow face with a clearly visible bone structure. Refined cheekbones offsetting the bright blue eyes.

Blue eyes?

Upon closer inspection she appeared to be dressed in leathers and cloth, geared like a hunter, but none like Ardal had ever seen. No, this woman dressed the way of a mainlander, leather breeches and tunic, belt accentuating the slender waist and bearing a sword and dagger on either hip, the metal glinting in the fragmented sunlight. Ardal had only heard of these people in the tales the Kanthan's and hunters told. Stories of the other races, humans, dwarves, gnomes. This one must be adhiel.

"Ishan tel'udren, take it easy. I don't mean you any harm."

She smiled as she took Ardal's left hand and checked the bandage on his arm. "Looking better, but you still shouldn't strain it too much. Sit down, I've brought us some food."
On the ground a bag, she went inside the cave and started work on re-lighting the fire. "Come, sit. I'll make us some food and then you can tell me all about why you were passed out in the woods, dressed like that. Can't believe you're not terribly cold..."
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

Post by Guest »

OOC: Okay, thanks for letting me know!

IC: Ardal did not move as the young woman approached him. His gaze remained fixed upon her face. He had never seen anyone quite like her before. She did not look like a fellow kanthrop, for her eyes did not appear as those of an animal. She used phrases that were unfamiliar to him. He examined the structure of her face and noticed her pointed ears. It struck him that he had heard from elder kanthrop of a race of slender, short beings with pointed ears and delicate bones. They were called elves as he remembered, or [i]adhiel[i].

Ardal remained still as the young woman checked his arm, offering no resistance. He was still in a state of slight awe at seeing his first non-kanthrop. He wondered if she knew what he was. His eyes were rather hard to miss. He remained silent as she started to re-light the fire. He had to think for a moment before replying.

"There was an earthquake. I was looking for some plants, I remember. The ground started shaking violently. I hit the ground. I remember walking for a ways and collapsing on the path. I remember dark figures around me, then a person. You, I suppose. Do you know where me are? I can barely see the land in this fog."
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

It was interesting to note that this woman, whoever she was, had a very heavy adhiel accent, making it sometimes rather difficult to understand what she was saying. She was obviously not used to speaking this language quite often, but did admirably considering.

"An earthquake? Pí'an kelo. You could say that. I doubt there's anyone who didn't see or feel that one for miles around. Islands don't fall from the sky every day." She poked up the fire a bit more, which lit up the surrounding cave nicely, giving off a comforting heat.
"We're in a forest on the strange island, I was scouting for Oneists when the thing practically took the trees out on top of me and figured it might be worth checking out."
She looked at Ardal, then fell silent a moment, the light of the fire reflecting off of the black surface of his eyes.

"You said you only walked a little bit and then fell?"

She got up.

"You mean you were on the island that fell from the sky? And your eyes..."

She drew her blade.

"Wh...what are you? I thought..."

Post by Guest »

Fell from the sky? That explains the quaking. By Ursa, what is going on?!

All kanthrop, Ardal knew, were now in danger. Their secluded home had been taken away from them. Even worse, Pan's Isle was apparently suffering from foreign invaders.

Ardal realized that he had made a mistake in his truthfulness when the elf woman rose and began regarding him with fear at the point of a blade. He stepped back and raised his hands defensively.

"Please, I mean you no harm. Put down the blade. I have had enough trouble today," he said, aggravation coming through his tone of fear. "You do not know anything about the inhabitants of the island that fell from the sky, do you?"
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

The adhiel woman steadied her weapon, then lowered it.

"I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me. It's just...these woods...they're so strange. For tides I've been hearing things, seeing things. Slipping in and out of the shadows. Makes you wonder what might be lurking everywhere."

She sheathed the weapon and crouched back down by the fire, eyeing Ardal intently as if looking at him for the first time. "You're...not human, are you? No, you're right. I don't know anything about...you...your people... There's more of you right? You say inhabitants...So many questions I have, I don't know where to begin. What are you called?"

Post by Guest »

Ardal was much relieved when the adhiel woman lowered her weapon. He was in no mood to fight, especially unarmed.

The young kanthrop wondered about these things that the elf woman had been seeing and hearing. He knew the forests of Ursa Etheria well, but he could not know what to expect after the crash. The gods only knew what could have invested the island.

Ardal was at first apprenhensive at the prospect of telling the young adhiel woman about his people. Like all kanthrop, he was suspicious of outsiders. However, it seemed at this point that it could do know harm. With the crash, the kanthrop had been left exposed.

"My people are called the Kanthrop. I have heard that some outsiders call us 'Shape-shifters'. I myself am called Ardal. What is your name?"
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

"My name is Elsina Nagoran, but most people just call me Elsi. You're...you're a shapeshifter? You mean like a werewolf? I heard of those. People who turn into wolves at a full moon, attack stuff on sight. You...you're not one of those are you?"

Elsi looked Ardal over once more. The light of the sun was coming into the cave now, regardless of the fog which seemed to be clinging to the trees and the shadows below their branches. The small fire Elsi had restarted cast flickering shadows on the curved walls of the makeshift shelter.

"So the island, where did it come from? I can't believe it came falling from the sky like that. Everyone on Pan's Isle must have been scared brainless when it came down like that. I'm just glad it didn't crash on Tal'Fea'Taur. Or maybe it should have. Pan damn the Oneist pigs who invaded us."

She took a bite from a piece of bread she had taken from her pack, broke it and offered half to Ardal. There was also a waterskin lying on the floor, which she handed over to him aswell.

"But you...I guess you know nothing about that, do you? Nothing about the war. Wow, it must have been really peacefull not having to live through all that." it was clear Elsi was somewhat uncomfortable, even though she did her best not to let it show.

Post by Guest »

"No, not like that. My people change at will and I doubt that any of them would go attacking anyone. We aren't always wolves, either."

Ardal now noticed that the light of the sun was filtering through the fog and into the cave. The sight of the fog, the light, and the trees had a peculiar sort of beauty to it. The kanthrop looked back to Elsi.

"The island? It has floated over the ocean for as long as any of my people can remember. It is said to be blessed by Ursa, the Mother Bear," Ardal paused and took the bread and water offered to him. He took a bite and drank some before continuing. "A... war? No, I know nothing of that. I have never left the island. None of my kind are allowed to leave the island until they have achieved their first shift. They tell me that I was born outside of the island, but I wouldn't remember that."
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Elsi listened to Ardal's replies. She also chewed some food while they spoke and nodded at his candid remarks about his people and his heritage. Her eyes revealed curiosity while they spoke, a certain youthfull interest in this new and strange area and culture. After Ardal had finished his reply she got up.

"Now that you are awake, I think we should leave here. When I found you I hid you here, strange things lurk in the woods and I didn't dare to move you, since I don't know the area that well."

She started putting out the fire and gathering her things while she spoke, not waiting for Ardal to make any kind of comment about it. A piercing howl emanated from the forest, scaring the adhiel visibly. "You are from around here right? Is there anywhere we can go? Some place safe? I know the way back to the mountains where I came through, we can go to Pan's Isle, it's maybe a few tides walking. Not sure if you're up for a hike that long though?"

The question was sincere but urgent. The howl they had both heard was unlike anything Ardal was used to. It didn't sound feral, not like the wolves his people were sometimes known to change into, but rather more ghostly, shimmering, terrible and dark.

Post by Guest »

The howl caused a tingle to shoot up Ardal's spine. He had never heard anything like it before. It chilled him to the bone.

"Yes, I suppose we should get out of here." Ardal replied, then paused. It was a difficult situation. Though he had seen no harm in telling Elsina about the Kanthrop because of the fact that the island had fallen, he was not ready to bring her to the village (or what was left of it.)

"I know this island pretty well. The village where most kanthrop live would be as safe as any place now, but I can't take an outsider there. I am grateful for what you have done for me, of course, but I can't do it. Still, we best get out of the forest. I think we should head south." he said.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

"Then let's go. The forest seems to be safer during the day, but we shouldn't linger without cover. There's some strange stuff going on here."

She stood outside the cave a while, getting her bearings it seemed.

"South seems as good a direction as any. At least it's away from that pillar over there." She pointed to the grizzly column rising from the canopy further to the north and east. "You lead the way, we don't need to go to your village just as long as it's out of here. We can track back along my path a while. Let's go."

Elsi checked to see if Ardal was up and ready before tracking back along a small and recently cut path which was clearly marked out in the thick layer of gravel and dust which lay on the ground here. It led around several large boulders and between fallen and erect trees, the path swaggering between them like a drunken man's path. They walked a while towards the south. The surrounding area didn't at all seem like the forest Ardal had passed through on his way here, although he did seem to be able to recognise a tree here and there.

It was difficult though, the ground was cracked and so was a lot of the plantlife. Animals were mostly gone, save for the occasional bird chirping a carefull song in the branches overhead.

At some point Elsi stopped in her track. The path she had plotted seemed to run off to the east, to the opening in the Skymyst, which was visible between the trees here.

"If we follow the path we'll get to Pan's Isle again, or we can go south. Seems the forest is thinner around here, feel free to take the lead and guide us out."

Elsi checked the distance to the south. "Seems the forest ends in a few kilometers, we should be out before the mark is up if all goes well."

Post by Guest »

Ardal had not noticed the column ascending through the forest canopy before. It did not look familiar, and he could see why it might concern Elsi. Such a thing did not look natural in the middle of a forest.

Ardal followed Elsi through the forest in silence. He could have believed that he was in a foreign land by the look of the woods. This was not the Gnilwoh Forest he knew. It made him nervous.

When Elsi finally stopped, Ardal knew why. The path ran off to the east. They would have to diverge from it.

"Then let us hope all goes well," he replied to Elsi. "Before I forget, there is something I want to tell you. When you leave this island, please do not repeat what I told you about my people. Things have changed, but it is still our custom not to tell outsiders about us. With everything that has happened, I am worried about what will happen to all of us. I also don't want to get into any trouble with the elders."
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Elsi was about to answer Ardal's request, turning around to face him while they waited amidst the silent trees when suddenly her face turned a rather odd shade of pale. She pointed a finger, aiming for somewhere just behind Ardal. Her face was a painting of fear and she seemed so in shock not even a sound emerged from her lips.

Then she ran.

She ran, away from whatever it was that was out of Ardal's sight. Ran blindly into the woods, seemingly forgetting everything she had been arguing before, about being carefull and getting out as soon as possible. Even though Ardal couldn't see what was behind him, his other senses painted him a picture that chilled him to the core. Whatever it was felt cold, like an icy wind hovering in the autumn breeze. It sounded like the rustling of leaves, like whispers in the canopy. It smelled like blood, mixed with cold snow on the peaks of the Skymyst.

And it was right behind him.

Post by Guest »

Ardal furrowed his brow quizically at Elsi's sudden change of color and expression. He was about to ask her what was wrong when her finger rose to indicate what had frightened her so.

Ardal turned around and heard Elsi take off into the forest. He could not see what threatened them, but his senses told him that something, some terrible, was there. His instincts screamed at him to run, and so he did. He ran after Elsi, ran like he never had before.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Turning around might not have been the best idea in the world, but it was a natural thing to do. Perhaps Ardal wished he hadn't afterwards. Behind him was something unlike anything Ardal had ever seen before. A nightmarish creature, seemingly consisting of nothing but shadowy mist, paired with a ghastly visage which only minutely resembled a face. It hovered at only a meter or two away, tendrils of fog already reaching outward to grasp at Ardal, a shivering cold passing through him whereever they touched.

As Ardal ran the thing shreeked, a sound similar to something out of a horrid dream. It was impossible to tell if it followed, but the fear that emanated from the creature was enough not to wonder too much. Elsi hadn't. Neither did Ardal as he made a break for it. He ran quick and hard, his feet almost naturally avoiding the undergrowth. The forest hadn't changed that much and yahren of training still had their effect on his pace.

How long exactly he ran he was unable to tell. The only thing he knew was that at some point the forest ended and he erupted from it onto an open area, littered with boulders and rocks. The sun shone brightly here which provided a sense of security somehow. Behind him Ardal could hear a final shreek and then...nothing.

Elsi was no where in sight. Where exactly he was was also a big question as the area didn't look at all familiar. Ardal gazed at a big hole in the Skymyst Mountains, a crack from the floor all the way up to the peaks above. A crack wide enough to let a man through...

Post by Guest »

At the moment he emerged from the forest, the open area was perhaps the most beautiful sight Ardal could have seen. He felt sure that the terrible creature would not follow him out into the daylight. He ran a good distance away from the last line of trees before he finally stopped. The young kanthrop bent over as he breathed heavily, putting his hands on his knees to support himself. When he had caught his breath, he stood up straight again and started to look around.

The terrain was unfamiliar and Elsi was nowhere to be seen. He wanted to go looking for her, but there was no way he was going back into that forest. He could only hope that she had escaped safely. He noticed the huge crack in the mountains, which certainly had not been there before. Ardal kept looking around, trying to find a landmark he might recognize. He also looked up at the sun to figure out which way was which. The nly thing he could think to do was try to find his way back to the village.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Inside, Ardal felt like he was being torn to shreds. The vision of the creature had been more than his nightmares had ever shown him and his Inner Animal was still tearing to the surface even after he started to calm down a bit. His heart was beating faster than usual and he was sweating like nothing else. His heart told him to go into the woods and tear the creature asunder. His mind told him to stay. The battle between the two entities was almost physical as it came paired with a nasty headache.

As such, it took Ardal some time to get his bearings. Even though the small island had been his home for so many yahren it's appearance had thoroughly changed over the past few days. Even so, after he had taken a few moments to catch his breath, it didn't take him to long to figure out which was the most likely way back to the village.

From what he gathered he was somewhere to the south and east of it, perhaps not too far from Harmony Circle. He reckoned if he tracked back a ways and kept the forest to his right hand he would find his way back there within a few marks.

Behind him the gaping hole in the Skymyst mountains loomed ominously over his head. Like the mountain was split clean down the middle, leaving a chasm wide enough for people to walk through. Above the cry of a bird could be heard, looking up, a large bird of prey soared along the skyline.
Last edited by Brytan on Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Stop... stop it!

Ardal pressed his palm again his forehead. It felt like his Inner Animal and his rational mind were tearing at each other inside his head. He wondered if he would ever be able to control his Inner Animal.

Fortunately, the changed appearance of the island was not so bad that Ardal was completely lost. He began to walk at a steady pace in the direction which he thought was correct, looking around every so often to survey the area. The great hole in the mountains concerned him. Without the protection of the Skymyst Mountains, the Kanthrop were in more trouble than Ardal had initially thought. He looked up to watch the large bird that was soaring across the sky. He wondered if it was a fellow kanthrop or just a normal bird.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

OOC: Due to missing PC (PMs anyone?) this thread has been locked and archived until such time as it may be resumed or restarted...

Return to “Kanthrop Archive”