Dancing on a Dragon's Back - Samheen 28 ET

Moderator: Mods

Morg

Post by Morg »

(OOC: This seems like a good point to wind this thread up for the super sync. You may post here once more if you wish, and then please continue by posting your recess write-ups to this thread, which also contains a summary of other events in Terra Incognita over the three-month period of the recess. Also feel free to discuss how to progress with each other OOC. Note that Maverick's been retired, for the short term at least. If you have any questions, you know who to ask! :))

Maverick grinned and nodded dutifully at Arigha's instruction, his eyes only partly on Temi. The rest of the time they were exploring the form of his instructor. "In that case, me and my mount have something in common," he responded lazily. The Sabatan seemed comfortable enough on the camel's back.

Blesson listened attentively as Jack told his story, finally emitting a low whistle. "That's some story," he admitted. "I wouldn't have believed it, but your shaman certainly put on quite the light show for us, so I can't write it off out of hand. Anyway... if all that's true, you wouldn't say no to a beer when we reach the camp, I'll wager."

The sun sat just above the horizon when the small party arrived at the caravan camp a short while later, nestled between two broad dunes. At first there was some consternation. Whatever the Company men had been expecting, strangers on camels did not figure in it. Still, the tension quickly evaporated once it became clear that Lazare and Blesson were present and unharmed. T'kil was lowered gently from his steed and hustled straight to the caravan's healer, while the others were invited to join the caravaners and Company agents around the campfire as the sun set.

They soon learned that the caravan was on its way to Sabata from World's Mouth, only partially laden with finished and manufactured goods for the rich traders in the City by the Water. It had been underway from Dragonskeep for many days now. The two women of the People were treated with more than a little suspicion, especially Amica, with her guarrdi clothing and shaman's trappings. There was no hostility, however. In fact, the caravan employed a scout who was of the People, a confident young man who hailed from a Yellow tribe in the foothills of the Howling Ice Mountains far to the west. He was particularly keen to talk to the two women, and Arigha in particular, who he spent all eveningtide making eyes at.

Salted meat and pickled vegetables were brought out and offered freely to the "guests", and a barrel of beer was tapped. It was agreed that the caravan would continue on its way towards Sabata the next morning, although it would take a detour via the Dragon's Backbone to pick up as much of the goods from the Scillus as possible. The visitors were invited to accompany the caravan as far as the city should they so desire.

It was late eveningtide before T'kil emerged, and the fire was dying down. The shaman's arm was strapped tightly into a sling, fortified and given structure by slim wooden slats, and his other wounds had been cleaned and bandaged. He looked drained, and remained untalkative despite the curiosity of the caravaners about his profession, a silent shadow behind Amica. About this time, Lazare took Jack aside. The man revealed himself to be an agent of the intelligence services of World's Mouth, and requested that Jack deliver a report on the situation to a certain man in the Eastern Sands Trading Company offices at Dragonskeep or even to the Office of Foreign Affairs in World's Mouth itself. In exchange he would give him the benefit of the doubt as far as the goods on the Scillus were concerned, although the Company would be claiming a fee for their services in recovery.

Two tents were set aside, one for Amica and Arigha and one for the three men, despite the young Yellow tribesman's protests that T'kil should be given a tent to himself. When the fire finally burned out, the caravan's complement retired to their tents and huddled together to counteract the effects of the freezing desert night-winds.
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]
Jack Farrell
Civus

Post by Jack Farrell »

ooc: Thanks to everyone for an ace story, but I think I am going to part ways
ic:

Lazare's offer took the young man's breath away. It was over and above what Jack could ever have hoped for or imagined. Jack could do little more than hide his awe as he agreed, promising to take the first caravan to the worlds mouth. From slave to merchant, Jack could scarce believe it.

He spent the night in fitful sleep, but awoke with the grim certainty that he would have to return to the site of the Scillus and do what needs must there. Jack might have been a mercanary, but he did not welcome the thought of burying the dead, certainly not those he knew - however breifly. He bid his farewells to Amica and T'kil who he assumed would continue their suicidal quest. Jack had had his fill of dragons.

"I pray for your success Amica, but I am of no use to you here. To battle these creatures requires more than I can give. If there is any way I can help, ask - you will always have a friend in me."

He bid his farewells to Arigha and Mav then left at dawn to begin his work on the Scillus.

Post by Guest »

Arigha was pleased. The caravan at least fit in with her original plans. She found herself quite at ease in the young guide's company. He seemed less... frightening than Amica and her shaman. She spent the evening marks in his company and much of the following days. She questioned him on his craft and his decision to work for guarrdi, careful not to sound disapproving of the latter.

Arigha joined in the work efforts and added her own expertise to the handling of animals and navigation of the local sands. It was important to her to be seen as competent and cooperative, for she hoped to have the option of hiring herself out as a guide or caravan assistant of some sort when she reached the city.

This did not prevent her practicing her music and dance skills for fireside entertainment in the evenings spent at camp. Indeed, having a captive audience allowed her to gauge what worked and what didn't of the songs and dances that she had hitherto performed with only the wind and sands as audience.

Hopefully, by the time they reached Sabata she would have the names of several contacts either for caravan work or for hire in taverns or places where she could further her arts.
Morg

Post by Morg »

Skilled! :D
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]

Return to “The Sands Archive”