Troth: RoW The Juund Wastes

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Troth: RoW The Juund Wastes

Post by Guest »

After dark, Lori hurried out to the meeting place with Mother Eirrin. The canvas sack with food and supplies was on her back, the crystal spider in her cloak pocket, and her little bone dagger tucked into her belt. She'd never had to use it properly before,it had only occasionally been put to use in the kitchens, and she had no idea how to handle it as a weapon, but knowing that it was there, pressed against her hip, made her feel somewhat more secure about heading out into the unknown.

When she arrived there was no immediate sign of the clan leader, and the young slave paced softly and nervously in the snow, waiting for her to appear.
Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Post by Vanadius »

From the near total darkness, Lori could hear the crunch of footsteps in the snow approaching. Somewhat surprisingly, it wasn't Mother Eirrin that met with her, but instead it was another slave of the Margeir clan named Hauk.

Hauk did a great deal of labor for the tribe and was often taken on caravan trips back and forth from Grimkell. He was known to posess a strong back, a silent mouth, and a discerning caution. What most of the clan didn't know about Hauk, was that he was very skilled as a trapper, and had several traps of his own along the trade routes. It wasn't exactly stealing from the clan, but it wasn't exactly being completely forthright either. Lori knew him from the many meals she had prepared.

"Lori." He started. "The mother sent me to meet you, as she is in Council meeting, and could not do it herself. I have something for you. Its a message."

His eyes looked up and far away as he tried to recall the message to the best of his ability. She had made him memorize it, and he'd been practicing it for the better part of a mark.

"Follow the great ridge north until dark of the first day. For the second day, head west until you reach the great white tree. This is where I found it. It was hidden in the roots of the great tree. There may be more, seek them and they shall lead you to the Gjof, the gift. Once you are there, it will lead you to what I am seeking."

His eyes shimmered in the dark.

"That's it. Listen, this sounds dangerous. You want me to go with you?" Hauk's feet shuffled in the snow anxiously.

Post by Guest »

Lori's head snapped up when she heard the footsteps, and she drew herself upright, preparing to see the fierce, stony countenance of the clan leader. Her eyes widened with surprise for a flicker as she saw the bulky figure approaching through the snow, then she relaxed her posture and grinned as she recognised Hauk.

Once he had finished reciting his message, Lori too stared off into the middle distance, digesting his words.

The Gjof she racked her brains for some recognition of that word....the gift...have I heard stories of a gift? Of course, the Ice Queen gives us many gifts..the crystal...the hippogryphs...but somehow I don't think this is the same thing she thought.

Hauk's offer to accompany her took her by surprise, and immediately she was torn between Mother Eirrin's obvious wish for this quest to remain secret, and her own desire for some company. Well piped up the little voice in her head Mother Eirrin obviously trusts him enough to deliver you that message..why shouldn't he come with you?

"Hauk..that's a very kind offer, thank you. I'd certainly be very glad of your company. But if you do come with me, we must leave in secret...no-one else must know that we've gone. Do you think you can spare the time without being missed by the clan?" she asked.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Hauk gave Lori a pained look, full of uncertainty and concern. He shuffled his feet once more in the snow, obviously very uncomfortable.

It was then that Mother Eirrin made her presence known.

"Thank you Hauk. That will be all." She told the man.

Hauk gave Lori one last uncertain look before he retreated into the darkness.

"Well..." Eirrin began. "I wasn't quite sure how that little test would play out. Secrets are a funny thing, and the lies they perpetuate are like ripples in a pond. It seems they just grow and grow and grow."

There was irritation and sarcasm in the Mother's voice. He tone was as cold as the snow beneath their feet.

"I told you this was for you and you alone. Perhaps you failed to hear that. Perhaps you chose to ignore it. Both are a little troubling when it comes to my trust. As luck would have it, I chose Hauk to be my eyes."

The last bit was her acknowledgement of Hauk's reputation as a silent witness.

"Now then. Shall we go forward with my damaged trust? Have I mislaid my faith in you to remain quiet about this? Or have you seen the error of your ways...?"
Last edited by Vanadius on Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

As the tall figure of Mother Eirrin detached itself from the shadows, Lori's stomach did a backflip.

Right....so that was the wrong answer then said the little voice, helpfully.

Lori gave Hauk a hint of a smile as he shuffled off, and let Mother Eirrin's words wash over her like angry bees. She clenched and unclenched her fists at her side, furious with herself for having messed up already.

When the clan leader had finished, Lori remained silent for a while, cheeks burning. Eventually she plucked up the courage to answer.

"Well...it's just...umm...Hauk's right...it does sound quite...err...dangerous, and...and I thought that maybe it might be safer with him to pr...protect me....or something" she mumbled, dreading the look on Eirrin's face. Staring hard at her feet, which seemed to be shuffling of their own accord in her discomfort, she ploughed on.

"I see now that I was wrong. With this test you have shown me the importance of secrecy and silence on this quest, thank you. I'm sorry that I have already failed you, and I promise that I will not make such a mistake again. You have my word. Please give me another chance, Mother Eirrin...I know I can do it...I'll...I'll be as quiet as the falling snow....quieter even." Shut up Lori, you're babbling again
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The clan leader regarded Lori cooly, her face dispassionate and stoic in the darkness. Finally she spoke.

"I don't think relying on a man to protect you is a precedent you want to set for yourself girl. Perhaps its time to temper that lack of self assurance with another test of sorts..."

Mother Eirrin shifted her feet underneath her, balancing herself on the balls of her feet, which were now shoulder length apart. The Mother's eyes closed, the flecks of reflected light Lori had been seeing in them was now gone, and only a blank mask of darkness could she see now.

Light came from elsewhere, a violet glow emanated from the cloth wrapped spider in her pocket. It's light reacting to the magic the mother was now weaving before her. The hairs on the back of Lori's neck stood up, and she could feel the presence of... something.

There was warmth at first. Slow and steady on the back of her neck and spreading downward across her back towards her legs. It grew hotter and hotter until it felt as if her flesh were blistering away. Eirrin's head snapped back, and her arms stretched out to her sides, the clan leader's hands were stiff and claw-like. It was difficult for Lori not to scream and her knees buckled and gave way beneath her. The force of the fire and heat forced her to her knees in the snow.

Then, faster than it had come, the heat and pressure were gone. In a heartbeat, Lori felt cool and unhurt, and in a strange way, almost refreshed. Eirrin fared much differently. If it were possible, she looked older and more frail. A streak of silver hair now fell from her once dark locks. She teetered and steadied herself.

"No questions now. You will know when the time is right, and that time is still before you. Seek the great white tree. Find the Gjof. Then the nature of what has transpired here will be revealed."

Post by Guest »

OOC: Sorry for delay, am feeling better enough to post now I think.

IC: Another test thought Lori I hope I don't mess this one up too.

She was about to speak when the warmth began to tingle on the back of her neck. She suddenly felt like a rod of hot metal had replaced her spine. She couldn't move.

It was almost as if she could feel the connection between Mother Eirrin and the spider in her pocket...as if there were strands of...of energy passing between them. Without really knowing what she was doing, Lori tried to focus on this energy...or whatever it was...this magic. She was fascinated and terrified and bearly breathing.

And then the wall of heat enveloped her and she was down on her knees in an instant, the cool snow beneath her doing nothing to ease the rippling, searing heat or quell the fire behind her eyes. From her position on the ground, Eirrin looked like a great bird...terrible and wonderful and powerful.

Then it was all over, and the young slave felt most peculiar. Like she wanted to laugh and cry all at once. Above all she felt... purposeful....like she knew what she must do...where she must go and that although she had questions they didn't matter because she herself had the power to find answers to them in time.

She looked at the clan leader, who staggered forward in the snow looking haggard and pale. Suddenly she wanted to cry again. Whatever had just happened had come from Eirrin into her...had weakened the great clan leader...even aged her. Fighting the instinct to run to her...to flap around her, and offer aid and support and make noise and get help, Lori rose slowly. She had the feeling that Eirrin wished to be left alone.

"I don't know what just happened, Mother Eirrin," she said softly, "but I feel I have been given a great gift...and I thank you with all my heart for giving me the direction I needed. I'll go now...and I won't fail you again."

Shouldering her pack, Lori trudged off into the snow, heading northwards and repeating her instructions under her breath.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

OOC: All righty! Per our conversation, lets move this along quickly.

The Gjof stood before her, as when she saw it she knew it could be nothing else. It was a magnificent thing. A giant white tree with its great trunk spreading its branches out wide towards the heavens. This was no living tree, for it was made entirely of ice. Every root, every branch, every twig, every leaf was a magnificent crystalline form of shaped and sculpted ice. It stood vast and huge before her now, it's highest branches nearly six hundred feet above her head. It's massive trunk was nearly as thick and large as the trade tent back in Rimmerhold.

It was a breathtaking sight and after her days of journeying here, Lori knew this could be nothing else, but the Gjof. Upon seeing it, the young slave girl heard Eirrin's words echoing in her head.

...the nature of what has transpired here will be revealed...

Yet no revelation came yet. The great white tree stood before her. The Clan leader's words were in her mind, yet nothing else happened. Only the sound of the whispering wind reached her. No figures were here. She was the only living person for days in any direction.

...was hidden in the roots of the great tree. There may be more, seek them...

She could almost hear Eirrin's voice.

...will lead you to what I am seeking...

Post by Guest »

Lori had first seen the magnificent tree rising tall and imposing in the distance at least a mark ago. But it was only now, standing right at the foot of it, that she could take in its true beauty.

And once she reached the gjof, its beauty was all she could think about for several burns. Her mouth rounded in an "o" of awe, and all other thoughts seemed to float gently from her mind, as if carried away on a soft breeze. The trunk was knotted with age, and every tiny leaf was so delicately, perfectly veined that it took her breath away. This could only be a work of divine craftsmanship, she thought, and offered a fervent prayer of thanks to the Ice Queen for creating such a beautiful thing.

Lori could quite happily have slumped in the snow and stared at it all tide, but Eirrin's ringing instructions pushed their way to the forefront of her mind. She pulled the spider from its resting place in her cloak pocket and dropped to her knees by the roots of the great tree, her sharp eyes scanning the snow and ice for anything sparkling and crystalline....or indeed anything that may have been hidden among the trees roots.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

As Lori dropped to her knees and withdrew the crystal spider a wondrous change came over the figure as it neared the snow.

It came alive.

It crawled and skittered in her hand and as it reached the icy roots of the great white tree, it began to dig. The violet glow brightened and grew as it worked, and several more began to appear from under the huge ropey tendrils of ice that anchored the monstrous tree.

In mere flickers, hundreds of the spiders appeared, all with the same purplish glow, all working to clear the snow away from the roots. More flickers passed and thousands of them were working, creating an embankment of snow and ice about thirty paces away. In a few heartbeats, it grew in size as the supernatural creatures took heaps of snow over to it and deposited them before heading back to repeat that process. Within half a burn, it was as high as her waist and still growing fast. It was as if an anthill of spiders had erupted at her feet and began to carry out some unseen, unspoken command. They made no moves towards her, other than scrambling away from her feet if she moved.

As the crystal spiders worked, they began to uncover something. Stretched out before her was a wide opening that went deep underground. It was slowly being revealed as being large enough for two carriages to ride into the tunnel side by side and the glow from the thousands of spiders gave it an surreal violet tinge.

Under the snow was handworked stone. Everywhere the stone was exposed bore rougher and more crude carvings of a younger Trothgardian people, but it was still beautiful and elegant. Closely fitted stones created an intricate archway leading into blackness.

It would be easy for someone Lori's size to simply walk into the tunnel at this point with no fear of snow touching her at all. The wide opening loomed before her.

Post by Guest »

At the first sign of movement from the spider, Lori recoiled, shocked. Keeping her distance, she peered at the thing as it began to dig. It really seemed alive, it crawled and wriggled with all the ease and bizarre grace of a real spider...it didn't seem mechanised, or controlled by anything. Lori didn't like it one bit. Still and safe in my pocket I can just about handle she thought but this.....this is weird

And then the ground was crawling with them, a heaving mass of crystalline legs all scrabbling around, united by one purpose. She shuddered and shuffled further back, at once disgusted and fascinated. What in the Ice Queen's name was causing them to behave like this?

Her eyes were so fixed on the mass of insects that the opening was already half exposed before she realised what was happening. She crept closer to the opening, desperately hoping not to hear the unearthly crunch of squashed spiderthing under her feet as she moved. Thankfully her path remained clear, and she lifted her hand to trace the carvings around the arched opening into what now was evidently a tunnel.
How long has this been hidden? she wondered. Her knowledge of runes and carvings was pretty much non-existant....but it seemed to her that this archway, and the tree that grew above it were ancient.

She could see no light in the tunnel, only the eerie purple from the many spiders. Mother Eirrin had certainly not been wrong...this was a pretty clear sign of what she was intended to do. She took a few steps forward into the tunnel, and halted. How do I know those bugs aren't just gonna close this in with snow and trap me here? she thought, her breath catching at the thought of being stuck underground with no way out.

Well....I guess I've got two choices...trust Mother Eirrin's judgement and go off down this tunnel...or stay out there with the spiders.... again she shuddered at the thought of all those legs. She knew which option she preferred, however unknown it was. She had flint in her pack, and some dryish tinder from her camp the previous night which would do as a torch if the darkness got too much. Taking a deep breath, she started down the tunnel.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The wide maw before her was steeped in the legends and myths of Trothgard's past as the walls were are intricately chiselled with the myths and legends of old. This was no shaping. Every stone was lovingly placed. Every inscription and carving had been hand tooled.

The glow from the moving spiders made the walls look as if violet tinged water was cascading down the walls, so shadows danced and moved and the carvings looked as if they were alive themselves. everything held the purple, iridescent glow and gave Lori the light she needed to navigate down the tunnel's slope.

At the bottom was a large statue of a hyppogryph. The Beast's wings were outstretched and the detail was great enough that the beast almost looked real and about to take flight. It's sharp beak was as large as Lori's legs, and its carved eyes were as big as Lori's fist. The stone work towered over her and the tunnel terminated in a large cylindrical room with the statue as its center piece. The ceiling was lost in darkness, but Lori had the sense of great space above her. The walls of the round room were covered in hammered, foil like metal with symbols that had been punched through them. In the dim, near darkness, it was almost impossible to tell what the symbols were.

Silence reigned. It was silent like a tomb.

Post by Guest »

Although the spiders had provided enough light to get by, Lori had taken the tunnel very slowly, edging her way forward a few steps at a time in case of holes in the floor, or traps of any kind.

Reaching the bottom safely, Lori felt a state of almost religious awe and calm come over her. It was so quiet. In the dim light she could make out the shape of the huge hippogryph, towering above her. Reverently she ran a hand over its carved talons, noting the immense skill involved in its creation. What is this place??

Whereas in the tunnel itself she had paid little attention to the carvings on the walls, wanting simply to know what was at the bottom of the passage, now, something told her that she needed to see what was written on the walls of this strange, cavernous space.

She felt in her bag for flint and tinder, and after a few sparks, her makeshift torch sputtered into life, shedding a warm and flickering light on her new surroundings.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

A spark.

Another spark.

Another and with gentle coaxing, her torch burned, shedding light and throwing the room into stark shadows.

The symbols on the walls were things that Lori had seen dozens of times in her life. Runic scribings of magic and wonder. They were illegible to Lori, for she had no education in such things, but she had some skill at charting, and she could discern a rough map on the stone walls behind the foil like metal etchings.

It was an old map. Old because the ice flows and glaciers had altered the shorelines it depicted, and the icy wastes were once much smaller than they now were. It was curious old thing. It marked several locations that Lori knew now as being nothing but snowy plains. Even this place, the Gjof, had it's own mark, and Lori could make out the faint pattern of the marking on the map, like a constellation in the sky. It was an eagle, the White Eagle of the Ice Queen. The Gjof was the point of one of it's talons. The eye was marked with a star...

Something shuffled behind her...

Post by Guest »

"What is it that you seek?" her voice asked.

She was a slight woman, thin and willowy, and barefoot of all things on the cold stone floor. She wore a simple white shift, no protection against the cold, nothing to keep her warm in this cold, cold place. She wasn't young, nor was she old. Her face had an ageless grace. Her arms and hands were delicate and lovely.

"Can you hear the whispers?" She asked.

"Can you hear them crying out for release?"

Post by Guest »

Lori was glad of the fire. It calmed her. As a child, she had loved to find pictures in the flames of the Margeir kitchen fires, excitedly pointing out galloping horses or fine ladies in long gowns to Rosa who had laughed, unable to see anything but flames, and called her a "funny thing".

Now, her little torch danced and flickered, making the walls seem etched in gold and leading Lori to the map. For a while she stood there, seeing only how much her homeland had changed over the ages, and then suddenly she spotted the faint shape of the eagle. Something happened inside her as she looked at the etching, first at the talons and then up to the eagle's eye. Something clicked into place. In the same way she had on her knees in the snow in front of Eirrin, she felt purposeful, and strong. Whatever that star signified, that was where she needed to be.

She ran the tip of her finger slowly along the outline of the eagle, and a shiver ran up her spine when she reached the starpoint. And then something moved behind her.

She whirled round, all at once flooded with fear. She had heard nothing approach, no hint of a footstep down the tunnel...and outside there had been no evidence of another presence for miles in any direction. Her torch picked out the delicate features of a woman.

What is it that you seek?
Her voice asked.

It was a face at once completely familiar, and utterly alien to her. The figure in front of her seemed almost etherial, she was so slender, and with nothing to protect her from the cold. Lori shivered inside her furs, unable to speak.

The strange woman seemed almost at home here, deep under the snow.

Can you hear the whispers? Can you hear them crying out for release?

All Lori could hear was the roaring in her head of fear, confusion and something else that she couldn't quite place. Suddenly she found her voice.

"Who are you?" she asked, the fear making her voice come out shrill and shaky.

Post by Guest »

A faint trace of a smile crossed the woman's lips, but no answer was forthcoming from her, yet.

"What is it that you seek? You bring fire to a place of Ice. You bring life to a place of death. Yet you do not hear the whispers. You do not hear them crying out to you."

The woman walked slowly and confidently towards the etched wall. Lori's fire had tiny rivulets of melt beginning to run. The woman seemed unconcerned with any of it.

"Child Eirrin has marked you with a gjof of her own. Do you know what it is? Can you ever know?"

Post by Guest »

"I seek answers and acceptance".

The words were out before she even realised she had been thinking them. They seemed not to come from her mouth but from a place deep inside her.

She saw the dripping channels start to run slowly down the walls, but still she clung to her torch for dear life, she wasn't ready to be alone in the darkness with this woman.

How does she know about Eirrin? And what does she know about me? A thought flashed into Lori's head for a flicker, clear and blinding bright could this be.....her? She hardly dared believe it.

The young slave suddenly felt very small, dwarfed by the size of the questions in her mind, and oddly on the verge of tears from being near to this....woman.

She closed her eyes and breathed deeply before speaking again.

"I do not hear them...Lady...I...hear nothing....but it is not because I wish it to be so. I believe it is because I do not know how to listen..." This thought seemed to her to be unutterably sad.

Her voice was still shaking, piping out in a much higher, softer tone than usual, it was the voice of a frightened little girl, but still her words spilled forth, and she spoke from the heart. "I want to hear these whispers...to hear them and to..to help them...can you teach me how to listen, my Lady?"

Lori still wasn't sure who she was addressing, but she couldn't shake the image of the white eagle from her mind. She was in the presence of great power, of that she was certain.

Child Eirrin has marked you with a gjof of her own. Do you know what it is? Can you ever know?"

I don't think I really know anything any more, not for certain...it seems that no-one's life path is set in stone...nor is it as changeable as the winds...it is...as the snow...that must be shaped and moulded as we grow and learn. Again...these thoughts hit her in a rush and she wasnt sure where they came from. She felt as if the woman standing before her was already in her head...could read what was going on in her whirling mind, and yet she spoke.

"I hope to know when the time is right." It was a simple statement, but it was the only answer she could give truthfully. The girl fell silent, hoping for some answers from her mysterious companion.

Post by Guest »

"Answers change with the nature of time. What was once truth is now a lie and what is come, will only be reborn with ages and cease to exist."

The woman closed her eyes.

"Acceptance can only be found in death, for the only thing that truly embraces us completely is the quiet dark of eternity."

When Lori spoke of teacher to hear, her eyes snapped open and she cocked her head to one side, as if listening herself.

"Madness is what you ask for..."

She trailed off, not in uncertainty but rather to keep her own counsel.

"Help them you shall."

With these words, Lori could feel the stone beneath her rumble and move. A chill went up her spine. If anything else happened, Lori was quite unaware of it.

"You shall be the first of the last. Hear me now. Seek the Chronicler, the Warrior and the Shaper. They will help you and you will help them to change the old and birth the new."

The woman's fingers trailed along the surface of the statue as she walked away from Lori and back to wherever it was she had came from. With every padded step of the woman's bare feet, Lori's eyelids became heavier and heavier until at last she was asleep.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Locked, Skilled, Archived

Return to “Trothgard Archive”