Pinching Pennies - The Gaol, Chyrl 22 ET

Moderator: Mods

Pinching Pennies - The Gaol, Chyrl 22 ET

Post by Guest »

Located directly on the waters of the harbor, the heavy, narrow form of the Gaol dominates the Eastern edge of the harbor with its dark, forbidding appearance. The building was designed to appear bleak and uninviting, and its rusty portcullis that guarded the ten pace entrance arch did little to settle the nerves of those unfortunate enough to be brought here under arms. This was the city's infamous prison, a place rumored to reach as far beneath the ground...into the rocky shelf below...as it did into the sky, its topmost battlements reaching heights of almost one hundred paces.

But the bleak exterior of the Gaol was little more than a clever ruse to dispirit those brought before it. In truth, the building quivered with life and activity, for it was here that the city guard found their home. They slipped into and out of the massive, heavy construction by way of a smaller portal located to the side of the building, a door freshly painted in a bright, cheerful color of red and guarded at all times by a pair of city guardsmen. Visitors frequented the Gaols often to visit prisoners within, for while the place did house the city's incarcerated murderers, it also housed the debtors and defaulters prison, a lower security area of the Gaols and one that allowed for visitation and even a few luxurious amenities.

Just within the red door was a small room where visitors were received. A hallway led deeper into the fortress prison directly across from the entrance, its length dark and obscured due to the lack of natural lighting in the interior of the building. The reception room featured a broad carpet of woven thrush, a long, stiff bench that was unfriendly to the backside, and a small, cluttered desk opposite this behind which the watch sergeant took his ease, greeting those that entered with a gracious nod as he stood. "Greetings to you. Your business here at the Gaol?" he would ask, his voice low and even.

Laibach pulled his grey cloak more closely around him, staring at the Gaol with a look of utter whimsy upon his face. To think, a few simple whispers and betrayals, and he could be inside those very walls. It was a wonder that he hadn't, considering how difficult the past few months had been. Nonetheless, it wasn't exactly as if anyone in the Outer Ring could claim to be completely innocent. Everyone washed everyone else's dirty laundry. Everything was paid for by drugs or blood or worse.

He had grown frailer and more pale since the last time he had visited the Gaol, though he still wore the recognizable smirk and still dressed only in shades rather than colors. The bleakness of his appearance suited him in his new role at the top of Thomas Crane's trafficking and smuggling business, and it also suited how bleak his personal existance had become since taking over at Thomas's in absentia request.

"I'm here to speak with Ranier," the frail boy said to the guard. He didn't know if the man would recognize him and didn't particularly care. Laibach wasn't in a particularly caring mood at any rate. His fortunes, while certainly quite impressive from the outside, were in reality slowly decaying due to the heavy tax which Michael Ranier had placed upon the price of his watchful eye. It had made sense at the time: danger all around, death threats, stab wounds, addiction, the business deteriorating before his eyes... but now it suddenly didn't make sense to be losing money in a highly profitible business.

It was for financial discussion that Laibach had come, and he knew he had few bargaining chips to choose from. Nonetheless, he had to try to reason with Ranier, and the young trafficker certainly had a few tricks up his sleeve... if only the Captain of the City Guard would just play into his pocket.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

It was no wonder the streets about the Gaol were so deserted, especially at night. Not many moved along the well lit streets and alleys apart from a guardsmen going on and off duty. There were no roughs at street corners, no whores touting their wares, no shady characters luring in the darkened corners. This was the City Watch turf and no other gang was allowed to trespass. Those that did ended in the Gaol itself, and people did not leave Gaol unchanged often. The watch sergeant, cast one glance at Laibach and tilted his head for a flicker, waving a man from the next room closer. "Take him to see the Marshall."

No questions were asked, nor did the man who led Laibach up say anything. Silently they moved up the stairs, till they reached the top floor, the man nodding at a pair of female guards standing watch before a door. "Wait here." He knocked and entered swiftly, and half a burn later was out. "The Marshall says you are to go right in." The nameless guard held the door for Laibach and then closed it behind him, the room he found himself in well furnished and somewhat hot. A desk sat opposite the door and behind it Michael Ranier sat, leaned back comfortably in his high backed chair, smiling lazily. "And to what do I owe this pleasure?" No seat was offered, but a chair similar to the one Ranier sat in was available before his desk.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.

Post by Guest »

Laibach sighed lightly, settling himself into the chair opposite Ranier, recognizing that Michael had not changed even one bit since they had last met. Decadent as ever, and with a kind of careless charm that was probably the reason why the Marshall was so prolific with women. Laibach had more important things on his mind than reminiscing or recalling the past.

"You're doing a great job of protecting my interests, Michael." It was an introduction to the subject without immediately sounding either desperate or aggressive. The pale, frail man was not the most experienced of negotiators but he knew enough about human interaction to ease into delicate subjects. Especially when money was involved. "And I'm really thankful for it, but I'm sure you can imagine that the costs we discussed before are... restricting the possibility for expansion."

Laibach looked at the ceiling, acting as though doing some basic math, though he had already done whatever number crunching was necessary long ago. "I'm planning on expanding my interests toward the more... upperclass portion of the city, but I don't have the money to fund any sort of expansion. Business is healthy, but it seems like people are spending more money on espresso than kemp lately." He laughed slightly, though in truth that may have been nearly on the mark.

"Addictions are best fed by a large pocket," Laibach began, smiling at the thought of the mist waiting for him at home. "And I think that expansion into the Patrician's Ring would make both of us wealthier in the long run. Not to mention that the market is less well controlled and territorial among the nobility."

"But of course, with our current arrangement, I simply don't have the funding to begin such an endeavor..." The pale young man let it hang in the air, well aware that Ranier might simply laugh at him or dismiss him. If that happened, there were still a few options, but they were nowhere as easy or simple.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

There was a lazy smile upon Marshall's lips as he listened to the drug-dealer before him, stretching in his chair, shifting his shoulders as if seeking the most comfortable position. Eyes half closed, he rolled his head to relax his neck, before finally focusing on the man before him. "Hmmmmmm, I see your plight and I see the benefit of such an expansion." The man took a deep breath and closed his eyes for a flicker more, reaching for a glass upon the edge of the table and taking a sip, lowering it into his lap. "What I fail to see is what I stand to gain from this. What's in it for me if you will? And please..... Don't try to sell me that crap how you will make it worth my while when you establish yourself. I want an incentive before I consider changing our current arrangement. And a promise that my losses that come from this change will be reimbursed one day. So...." Another sigh and a moment of rest as Ranier closed his eyes. "I know you did not think you would simply get what you want for free. You aren't that stupid. I am listening."
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Archived without skilling due to inactivity.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “Inner City Archive”