"Party" sidethread-SH30th-ET- Ulder and Elaine

Moderator: Mods

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

"Party" sidethread-SH30th-ET- Ulder and Elaine

Post by Ulder »

There was another reason why Ulder perhaps wasn't his usual self. Beyond the stalled elections and the uncertainty of gifts and hidden meanings he had a secret to share and a question to ask, and feeling out of place in a party was causing his already brittle nerves to grate on edge that much more. He needed to pull away from the fervor surrounding the Duke and the hustle and bustle of the party and gather his head.

After speaking with several of the guests, Ulder whispered in Elaine's ear.

"Come with me please miss, I need to get away from all these people and have some alone time."

With her hand in his, he led her away from the others in the garden to a more isolated and secluded spot where they could be alone, and he could hear himself think. He found a bench for them to sit on, and he let out a deep breath to try and relax.

"I had to get away from all of that. As a Guard, it was easy to keep a distance and a clear head. When you're at post, you're watching for threats and problems, on alert for something that needs intervention or attention. When you're a guest it's quite different. So many people coming at you from so many different sides. It's almost like combat..."

He chuckled, both at his jest and at his own folly.
[url=https://tazlure.nl/board/viewforum.php?f=404]Ulder's Compendium[/url]

[size=67]Avatar by permission of Amok. http://en.amokanet.ru/[/size]
Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

Recognizing the urgency, Elaine nodded and followed his lead. It was a bit much, all these people around. If not for the fact that Ulder was with her, she'd never be able to manage. If he too thought of the place of too crowded, then of course they needed to find a place on the outskirts!

The garden smelled nice. The leaves were crisp and somehow held a spicy scent with autumn nearing. It was always the changing of the season that held the bard's fascination; the change of scents, the different sounds. Even the feel of opening the door in the morning would change soon as the wood would work under the weather.

Ulder explained. It almost sounded like he was afraid she'd mind. The young woman put her hand on his arm and squeezed. "Last time you were the guard. This time we are here together. I know that fact alone can both hurt and soothe you. And yes, it is a bit crowded, although most of the people in here are simply relieved and as unsure as you of what to do."

She stepped in and kissed him lightly on the nose. "It is combat. One of the senses. Sight, hearing, smell, everything gets assaulted at the same time. Where as a guard you'd know which part to defend, now you are left wide open to deal with all sides at the same time. Not very fair, I agree. So...I don't mind. I love the gardens."

Elaine smiled. "I love you. Don't worry."

A slight breeze made her shiver. Reminding herself strongly that it was probably the wind and nothing else, the girl held herself up.
There is so much to see, yet so few willing to.
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

She simply understood.

No pretense, no exposition, she simply understood.

Her gentle kiss to the end of his nose made his love for her swell up like a wave inside of him. Beyond all the things they had to endure both separately and together, she was content with who he was, and to simply... be.

But it was he, down deep inside that wasn't content with the way things were. Oh sure, he was very happy to be with her and deeply in love with her, but there was something more, a deeper part of his mind and heart that needed her to know it fully and never question it. He would not be complete until he knew she would be at his side until the end of his days.

When Luther handed him the small box earlier, Ulder knew that tonight would be the night that he would ask her to be at his side forevermore. That box now seemed to have a life of its own, and burning in his pocket. But was this the right place? The right time?

Ultimately it didn't matter. Tonight was about a celebration of victory over the darkness, and to rejoice in life itself. There would never be a better time, or a better place. It hit him all quite suddenly that a celebration of life was the perfect time, and that time was now.

He helped her sit and sat down himself, close to her, able to maintain the warm and wonderful clasp of her hand and the feel of her close to him.

"I love you." He replied in that way that one does where the last word is emphasized in response.

"I'm not sure I've ever appreciated the gardens fully. Coming from the open spaces in the West, I always found the wilderness more appealing. Plants and trees growing wild always seemed more natural and pure to me."

He breathed deeply, taking in the night air and the loamy scent of the Duke's garden at that moment.

"But I can see why you have this. In the closed up spaces of the Citadel, it's like bringing the wild to you, only you get pick and choose what you value most."

Seeing her shiver, he unfurled the given cloak from under his arm and tucked it around her like a blanket.

"It's purple, and little miss Harden would say it clashes with your dress, but out here, since it's just you and me, I'd rather have you warm and content."
Last edited by Ulder on Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

Elaine loved the little analysis the former captain made about gardens and their possible attraction. He was right in a way: the forests always appealed to her, and yet there was such beauty in a piece of freshness smack in the middle of a city. It was as if everything just gathered up there, as if all wild energies found their way there and collected themselves in the stylized plants and trees.

It was a different Song than that of the stones. It was different and more appealing. Mother's garden was indeed that: a garden. Yet it was more wild, more...free. Somewhere Elaine hoped to grasp that melody to spread that amazing feeling to those in need.

The warm cloak was a welcome relief. She felt quite silly for being cold. Something told her it was not the outside air but rather the inside struggles that kept the warmth at bay.

Ulder's remark made her laugh as she snuggled up in his arms. "Miss Harden can tell me whatever she wants. Since I am not bothered by it, I will simply take the effectiveness and leave it at that!"
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

That's one of the things I love about you Miss Bannon, you're eminent practicality..."

He leaned in and kissed her softly.

Excitement began to rise within him. He reached into the folds of his pocket to reassure himself that Luther's work was still within. It was the hundredth time he had done it since the Dwarf Lord handed it to him.

He leaned back, trying to relax, trying to remain calm.

"Where would I be without you? When I saw that thing carry you off, it took my heart right along with you. I couldn't think, I couldn't breathe, I couldn't do anything until I knew you were safe again. I tried everything I could think of to gather allies and support to get you back. Finally I got someone to listen. And now here we are. I've been thinking about it a great deal over the last few days."

His fingers played along hers. Intertwining and clasping and releasing all just to enjoy the smooth softness of her skin.

"But more than that, I've been thinking of the torturous days and nights without you after the riots. In a strange way, those days were more difficult, because I knew all I had to do was show myself to be with you once more. The torture was staying away from you on purpose. My greatest fear was always that you would never know how bad I felt for doing that. That something would happen and you would never know how much you mean to me and how special you are to me."

His eyes closed. His voice shook.

"When that thing carried you away it was all my greatest fears standing before me and when I vowed to get you back, I also vowed that if I got you back safe, you would never doubt how I feel about you. You would never wonder what it was I felt in my heart."

He cupped her face in his hand.

"I love you Elaine. Now and forevermore. Its not fear of losing you that guides my steps. It's not fear of any kind that orders my actions. It's that I love you. I didn't pull you from the darkness, it was you who rescued me. I was incomplete and empty, and now with you here, and through your love, I will never be that hollow man again."

He kissed her again, ever so softly.

"Tonight this party honors life. These people have gathered to celebrate victory over the darkness and to rejoice in the light. Thats how I feel tonight with you. I want to celebrate our love. I want to revel in you and be at your side from now until forever."

He retrieved the box from out of his pocket as he slipped off the bench to one knee and knelt before her.

"I once offered you my sword. Now I offer you my life, my heart, and my love."

He guided her fingers to the ring. It was a simple, delicate thing carved and wrought by the mastersmith Luther Dethrek. Intertwining strands of stone, birch, crystal and gold. It was beautiful, elegant thing that spoke of her love for nature, for the song, for the people and for the Mother.

"Elaine, will you marry me?"
Last edited by Ulder on Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

He was nervous.
Elaine smiled. The big party was getting to her too, so it wasn't that much of a surprise. She pulled the cloack close, feeling Ulder's warmth through the cloth when he started to reveal how he felt about all that happened after his reappearance.

It was familiar. She recognized the blow she had felt when something went amiss. She understood the lack of air at the possibility of never being with him again. And yet the strength in the sheer fact that somewhere, somehow he had to be alive. She could not believe in his death and it had proven to be her pillar.

Ulder told her much of the same. She shivered again, this time through the intensity of his emotions. There was a lot she could say about his decision to stay undercover. Yet it was impossible to speak right now. He was opening up in such a different way than before.

How curious that it would happen here, where we are bound to be disturbed. Is that perhaps the safety of crowds?

There was no time to linger on the thought. His voice shook. Elaine placed her hand on his face, just stroking his cheek. It was impossible to keep all her feelings inside her heart. It would just explode. Instead she radiated, beamed like a lighthouse on the shore. This was her man, her beloved. And he shared that feeling!

"My heart will always beat with yours." The young Achadhiel whispered. "I will not leave you."

The sound of something being retrieved from his pocket. Ulder's warmth moved to the front as his voice lowered itself to his knees.

Her heart skipped a beat. Surely he wasn't...he was going to...
Here?

Slight disbelief, built up through the yahren with an absent father who never bothered to marry because of differences in race. How could Ulder...

Because he loves me.

Breathing suddenly became very hard as a ring was slipped on her finger. Out of instinct her other hand came to the jewel, exploring it with her sensitive fingers.

"Elaine, will you marry me?"

From the ring her hand sought out Ulder's. There was silence for a few precious flickers while everything replayed itself in slow motion in her mind.

Because he loves me.

A smile grew, joining in the fanfare of her heart.

Because I love him.

The girl slipped off the bench, next to Ulder and threw her arms around his neck. Gone were all the words and speeches that might be appropriate in this case. Gone were the proper, sensible ways of dealing with this as her mother had taught her. Instead it came down to the all known, very archetypical answer or a woman who was simply sure about one thing.

"Yes...I will."
A long kiss followed.
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

He kissed her deeply, pulling her to him and holding her so closely that he could nearly feel her bloodbeat with his own. Everything but her disappeared.

In this moment, there was no garden, there was no party, there was no world. There was only her and now he knew that she would be with him and by his side. The only thing that mattered right now was her. The rest of the world could be damned. If it meant that they could feel this way forever he would burn it all down.

The air seemed to sizzle and crackle around her. Her lips were like fire, her embrace as if her entire body was alight. There was a warmth and depth to her that he had found in no other.

And now she was going to be his wife.

Forgotten were the hurts and frustrations of the past. Now there was only her, and their love.

Elaine
Royal Poet

Post by Elaine »

ooc
No way I can write anything ic after this without breaking the spell :) As far as I'm concerned this side thread has ended in a most satisfactory way :)
[i]Jonah Bannon[/i]

Ulder
Erstwhile Soldier

Post by Ulder »

OOC: We agree then. We are ~fin. :)

Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Thread archived without skilling though I was tempted to give you both True Love at Master. ;)
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]

Return to “Patrician's Ring Archive”