Ursa: First Blood - Scarlet - Chryril 22nd ET

Moderator: Mods

Scarlet
Civus

Ursa: First Blood - Scarlet - Chryril 22nd ET

Post by Scarlet »

EEEEAAAIIIII!!!!

A piercing howl tore through the darkness. A howl the Kanthrop were quite familiar with. It's sound was not like any animal they were familiar with, no wolf nor bear nor eagle could produce such an agonising wail. It sounded most like a man's call upon death. Final breath released in painfull agony. Soon after the first cry, a second and a third could be heard, deep within the Howling Forest.

The Cryers had awoken.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Elsewhere

Scarlet shifted her weight onto her other foot and picked idly at a loose thread on her Kanthar, heedless of the dark night that stretched about her. She hated first watch.

She gripped her shoulder and massaged it, wincing as she felt the bruise. Her muscles were still sore after a long day's 'tuition.' Wrestling Tab had certainly been an education, the lad was more bear than boy. Petran had matched his opponents well in theory, her speed off-setting his strength. Somehow a careless opening had ended the fight and she had the marks to prove it. Next time he wouldn't be so lucky... She narrowed her eyes at the thought of it, felt the eager surge of her inner animal. She felt her free hand tighten around her bowstave, heard the leather creak as her skin whitened with the pressure. She was going to take that ox down.

Slowly, she relaxed, letting the tension ebb away. She stretched her arms, feeling the muscles tighten and relax in turn before she lent against the hut, staring out over the southern roads. She rubbed the sleep from her eyes and considered the lectures she had endured.

Rauwolfia and Lemon grass in a honey tea for a weak heart. The essence of the first must not exceed 1 part of the fifth? Or was it ten... Ursa damn it all.
Last edited by Scarlet on Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Brytan »

First watch on the outside perimeter of the village was usually boring. With the large fires burning all around it was uncommon for any Cryers to get really close, as they had always seemed to be terrified of the light. The cries from the Howling Forest were a warning, but as far as Scarlet knew, she would be safe while watching out for those within the walls.

As she sat for a while, contemplating her day, she heard a sound of movement to her left, and shortly after the deep voice of Kaern who was in bear form and making his round around the village. "Ah, Scarlet. Didn't know we had you on guard this eveningtide."

"Damnit, not another one to watch out for. I shouldn't have listened to Oni..."

"All's well around here I hope?" The large bear sniffed the air and looked around searchingly.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]
Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

How in Ursa's name does a bear move that softly?

She smiled and teased the fletchings at her quiver, smoothing the goose feather between her fingers.

"Yeah its you're lucky day Kaern. But no, its as quiet as it gets." She cast her eyes, the colour of bleached amber over the darkness of the southern roads. "Not heard a peep since nightfall till just now. Something's stirred 'em up." She yawned, rubbing the wetness from her eyes.

"Is the atmosphere this jovial everywhere?" She asked, nodding back the village. Nothing was going to happen this early in the day... that must have been why she was posted alone. Cryers waited till the dead of night, when the shadows closed in and they could move undiscovered. The bright bonfires behind her were protection enough, at least in her mind.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Kaern shifted as Scarlet seemed at ease in her current surroundings. The fires around her were lit, each of them with guards posted near. Not like the other side of the town, where Xenovia faced the challenge of Awakening alone. He had not been pleased with the idea, hoped her blood would not be on his hands by the time gravetide turned to morningtide.

"Guard duty isn't a trivial matter Scarlet. You've heard the Cryers, there is indeed something going on. Man your post and do not stray till your watch is over and you're relieved. The light of these fires is your friend."

He sounded serious and resolute. His eyes reflected the light of the fire, making him seem more fierce than he already looked in his massive bear shape. Slowly moving on, the bear glanced back at Scarlet once before continuing along the wooden wall to see about his guards around the perimeter, all his guards except one.

In the woods, something stirred close by.
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

In the darkness she blushed indignantly but said nothing. As if she would stray from her watch..

"Surely it's too early for Cryers..." she uttered softly as the bear retreated down the picket line. Even so she felt her pulse beat a harder rhythm. Looking down at the bow in her hand she chided herself. Even her eyes could see only so far into the shadows and Cryers were all but invisible save within the light of the fires. If they did come, it would be spears and knives for all the good they would do. Scarlet let her eyes drift out over the southern lanes as she walked over to her knapsack, it was all to easy to jump at shadows but she twisted her daggers in their sheaths, freeing them from the grip of the leather.

Within she felt something stir. That aching presence that dwelled within felt disquiet, a sentiment she shared all too strongly. This was no bloody thirst as she had often felt before, this was caution like a wolf approaching a foreign den. Suddenly she felt something, sensed either through scent or sound. Regardless she became aware, and as her hand closed about the polished wood of her spear she backed towards the fires a few paces and felt her knuckles whiten on the wood.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Beyond the ring of light, outside of Scarlet's vision, something stirred in the bushes. The cleared space around the village was only a few meters wide, but gave the defense ample opportunity to strike when potential intruders might show. None of the other kanthrop who took position along the wall seemed to have noticed anything. Most fires were manned by two people, Scarlet being the odd one out or so it seemed.

Again, the bushes rustled but no wind around to stir them. A pair of eyes glared at the young kit shortly, reflecting the fire light briefly before vanishing into shadow.

A cry tore through the sky, seemingly coming from the far side of the village. The others turned to gaze in the direction of the sound, but did not seem to move. All had orders to stand their ground.

Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

Her eyes narrowed, the bush her only focus. The cry behind her just noise as she gazed into the dark night that shrouded the open road. Behind her she felt the reassuring heat of the fires. Cryers were creatures of shadow, expose them to the light and they could not stand to be... surely that was the case? She felt a cold sweat slick her back as the adrenaline coursed through her, causing her heart to pound and her breath to shake. She gripped the spear tighter and in a clear voice called out.

"You, in the bushes. Come into the light." A traveller or intruder would know they had been discovered and would either flee or present themselves. What would a Cryer do? Scarlet wet her lips and held the spear extended in one hand, the blade catching the light as she tried to reflect it into the bush.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

OOC: Sorry for the long delay in this thread. Been a bit preoccupied ;)

The light? But why? When darkness is your salvation?

The words came to Scarlet as if carried on the breath of wind. The fire seemed to flicker a bit, noises on the edge of her hearing, bushes rustling in a chilling breeze.

I am injured. I can not come closer. Why do you not come to aid me?

It sounded compelling, demanding. Scarlet's Inner Animal shuddered and recoiled, sensing danger in the darkness. Yet the voice sounded earnest to her ears. Her mind in conflict with her instincts.

Tis hard to walk with danger so near, injured from a long fight in the woods. Help me.

And then, a more familiar voice, cracked and worn yet distant and far away came to Scarlet. The voice of Analor Goldenback.

"Help me..."

Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

Scarlet narrowed her eyes, trying to source the voice. Her sight was good, in the moonlight her perception of the world was more detailed than most, her eyes sensitive to even the slightest shimmer of light. But seeing a shadow was different, they were voids against the landscape, occupying the darkness where no light fell. She felt her heart pound deep in her chest. Was this a trick? A deception by the Cryers to take one more victim? She eased her daggers, feeling the sheath stress and squeal as she twisted the blade - freeing it from the leather.

"Analor?!" She called out in a clear voice.

She couldn't ask for the other sentries to leave their post, that could be the very trap the Cryer's were hoping to spring. Scarlet grimaced and stepped back to the fire.

"I hear someone on the road." She called out to the other sentries, she had instructions not to leave her post; but the voice sounded distressed. If she left it till she were relieved, Analor could be dead. She sighed, committed to her course of action. Again she dropped her spear and took one of her long knives from its sheath then, with a burning brand she stepped softly into the shadow.

"Analor?" Her voice was a breathy whisper, her heart in her mouth. She had never yet fought a Cryer and she had no wish to.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

As she moved from the light into the shadow of the trees, the voice seemed to call out to her once more, appealing to her very core. She felt her Inner Animal shudder, crying out to her not to heed it, and yet...something so familiar.

Help me...

Save me...

There was pain in the voice, genuine anguish. As she approached the edge of the treeline she could make out a figure in the shadow, a humanoid shape covered partially in the branches of a bramble bush.

Save...

Silence remained. The shape held still. It was but a few meters removed from Scarlet.

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Locked due to inactivity of player. Will be archived in favor of threads matching the synch date.

Return to “Kanthrop Archive”