Sabata Discoveries - Chyril 22 Mid TT

Moderator: Mods

Lir Calysta Markby
Civus

Sabata Discoveries - Chyril 22 Mid TT

Post by Lir Calysta Markby »

The one eyed healer headed out of the Laughing Dwimmerwick to pick up a couple of supplies before it got too late.

She remembered eyeing a two-story blue building with an elegantly scripted sign that stated it was named 'Rare Blessings' and began to retrace her steps.

Also by the end of the trade tide she would like to pick up more comfortable suitable clothes to 'blend in' more readily. Also any reference materials of the culture, language and history of the lands that she had just arrived at might be helpful, but she wondered who if there would be such a thing.

First and foremost, she needed herbs for healing and being in a new area, Lir had a feeling that they would not be the same as the ones she was used to in Nether's Gate. A properties study would be a good place to begin.
Beautiful avatar by [url=http://nairohe.deviantart.com/]Nairohe![/url] ^_^
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

One of the strange rarities in Sabata was paper. It wasn't that paper couldn't be manufactured here...indeed, Sabata exported salts that were genuinely useful in the preparation of pulp...but wood and paper did not fare well in the extreme dry airs of the desert, and only those treated with some of the local curatives could last for any length at all. Sadly, paper was not easily protected...and so literature seemed largely unavailable among the curious merchants Lir passed in the streets on her way to the remembered shop.

There were some documents, though. Papyrus survived well in the desert along with vellum...though even these had to be treated carefully to maintain. Still, they simply weren't available enough for the kind of tomes Lir might hope to find, and it might have left one to ponder just how these people recorded any knowledge, much less their own history and custom. Despite this significant omission, though, she found plenty along the roads and squares of the Great Dome that lured her interest.

Thankfully, the peddlars and merchants of Sabata were drawn to colleagues of their trade...so the Great Dome's market might be readily divided into specific areas where merchants of a specific kind might be located. Lir's first path brought her along a street crowded with furs, bones, and skins harvested from creatures she had never seen before...including a skin from an animal that might have been the size of a small dog, but with a massive tail not unlike a squirrel...and colored in alternating rings of black and white. Another skin was of mottled, smoked grays, and clearly from a cat of some kind...a cat larger than most common mousers, but not as large as a lion or puma.

These products gradually gave way to produce as she rounded the corner. The assault of smells here was not at all unpleasant, but the sheer number of odours might have given anyone pause...and Lir could not instantly identify many of these odours. There were fruits, fungus, barks, and vegetables presented by street vendors pushing their wares upon carts and wagons...and presented through open shambles, she could see dried varieties of the same along with rows of hanging fish, bloody mutton, desert rabbit, and various other foodstuffs.

And then there was the Rare Blessings. The two story building stands out in the crowd of buildings surrounding it with its flamboyant blue paint and elegantly scripted sign simply stating the name of the shop. Inside is a cool haven from the hot streets of the outside. The cleanly swept shop is lined with various potted plants with signs in front of them proclaiming the name of the plants, its various uses, and symptoms that the poison will induce in the intended target. At the front of the shop on the counter is a tank containing curiously spiked fish, whose barbs are deadly to anyone who doesn't know how to handle them.

Da-ding!

The chime of a brass bell lured a feminine voice in the back..."Coming!"...shortly before it's owner glided into sight, her hands obscured in a dirty rag that she used to scrub at her hands vigorously. "Welcome, welcome, welcome. How can I help you today?" she intoned, giving Lir a casual examination.
Maeve: It starts with ambition
Meridiuz: It ends with Grant
Lir Calysta Markby
Civus

The second walk through the Market was not as glaring now knowing what to expect. It was fascinating how people filled up the market to find something or sell their wares.

It was disappointing not to find any tomes or maps at the moment but it did make her wonder how information got around. She figured it might be through story telling or passed on from a teacher to a student but those methods often were not as reliable but what is?

As she entered the Rare Blessings, Lir felt her body temperature lowering after the hot trip outside. It was definitely a welcoming start. Her violet gaze looked about for words, knowledge, and rested on the spiked fish for a moment until the owner made an appearance.

"Hello." She greeted the woman and smiled politely but was all business, "I have recently arrived in Sabata running low on herbal and medical supplies and was wondering if I could get a brief refresher on the pertinent herbs that most healers use here?"

Lir paused a moment and then added a list but made sure not to sound pushy. She wanted to assist in narrowing her search and giving them both a starting place, "Something to slow down bleeding, an herb for poultices or pastes that promote faster healing, a draught to assist a troubled patient with sleeping, and something to dull pain are a few things to start."
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

There were twenty points of raw jojoba nuts in her backroom that Zhanna needed to crack, drain, and prepare for rendering. Jojoba oil could be purchased rather easily from the manufactory, already rendered...but she preferred to do it herself, considering the cheaper supply and the better quality. Try as they might, a manufactory just couldn't compare to what she could produce herself.

"I could spend tides discussing herbs, hun...and it would serve you no purpose, as you won't find any of them in the open desert. Most of the herbs you see here were grown in plantations or by private farmers. In the wild, you could travel for weeks without seeing any living thing at all...and what few things you might find will most likely be deadly," she explained. "The desert nomads have a knack for finding useful materials in the wastes, but they tend to keep to themselves...and they've only traded some of those herbs with the people here in Sabata."

"However, there are a couple things you can put in your bag to manage well enough during your travels. Take this," she said, turning and taking up one of several imperfectly-shaped bottles of amber fluid on a shelf behind her. "This is laudanum...an alcoholic tincture of opium. It eliminates pain, treats loose bowels, and with a sufficient dose, will induce sleep. It is potent, so you must dilute it well...perhaps a few drops for pain."

Placing the bottle on a table near her, she pointed to a large, wooden box on the floor near the entrance. The wooden box was dilapidated and probably wouldn't survive being shifted...but it was clear that it was routinely refilled, perhaps daily. Within it was a large stack of curious, thick leaves...upwards of an inch thick...ridged with serrated spines. "That is aloe. Cut it along it's length to reveal the meat within, and use this as a poultice. It will speed healing, treat burns, and cure rashes. It must not dry out, though...keep it wrapped in lard or wax until you use it."
Lir Calysta Markby
Civus

When the shopkeeper spoke of her first object for sale, Lir observed the bottle of laudanum and listened to all of its properties. She took note of the shopkeeper's mention of potency.

Then quickly moved on to what the shopkeeper had stated was called aloe. It seemed high maintenance, but the properties that the woman was listing off would be helpful. "Very informative and a great start, thank you. Coming to this city, I noticed that there are not very many books or documents here. Some people had vellum and papyrus documents but not in any great quantity either. I was wondering how one stores and passes on various references of customs, history or even maps?"

She picked up two bottles of laudanum to place them on the counter and hoped for a discussion on reference materials then figuring out the best way to transport several thick leaves of the aloe without drying them out. It was tempting to talk with the shopkeeper about herbs all day but figured that the shopkeeper was busy as well. Lir remembered that the Zhanna was also doing something prior to her arrival.

As a passing thought, the healer wondered if four drops would also cause an ogre or half giant to sleep or would more have to be needed for bigger people. Not that she was going to use the tincture on them but just as a matter of reference.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"Trona or Saltpetre are often used to preserve wood, but for paper, there is a salt...I forget the name...that can be dissolved and used as a preservative against the extremely dry climate. You see, the winds here are very dry...the desert turri...and it gives woods, leathers, and papers to dry out and grow brittle very quickly. This means that precious few books or scrolls survive for long in the desert unless they're protected in some way."

Rhanna had a small library of her own documents...about a dozen tomes, ledgers, and compendiums all told...but they were very prized, and despite her desperate efforts to protect them, some were already showing signs of deterioration. She transcribed pages routinely, as an eveningtide exercise, but she could not stop the relentless attack of the dry desert air.

"As for maps, you'll have to speak to someone else about that. The Longfellow Institute would be a fine start...they specialize in charting expeditions into the desert...but I know of no maps in circulation, and I don't know if they could help you. You see, the desert...doesn't lend itself well to traditional charting. The great ergs of Terra Incognita shift routinely...and the distances are too far to accurately track. The caravan routes through the desert are certainly documented, but not in any traditional sense. Only directions and distances from one oasis to the next are recorded. Straying from that path is considered fatal, of course."
Lir Calysta Markby
Civus

The healer listened intently, but Zhanna's explanation did not cheer her up much. "I figured as much. Thank you!" She stated as the shopkeeper answered her question about maps which gave her a slight bit of hope and something to look into. The Longfellow Institute...

"Where is this institute found?" She asked, her curiosity evident. As having some experience while on ships, she recalled that the navigators used the stars to guide them on their course, the Mer not having any obvious landmarks like a city would. She figured that the sand travelers had some similar study to keep them on course as well.

"I think I'll have a few more questions and then I'll make my purchases. You have been so very helpful. I think I'll start with two of those aloe leaves, but their size is a bit awkward for comfortable traveling. I might just start with one and come back often if I run out but wondering if you might carry some wax or lard just for the purpose of perserving the aloe once the leaves were cut?"

She would pause giving the woman a bit of time to answer her inquiry, but then another question popped into her mind and she asked it instead of her original second question and asked it before she forgot it, "I am also looking to start an apprenticeship with a local healer or you, if you are in need of assistance." It was a spur of the moment idea, but it was important to fully assimulate into a foreign environment. Of course, food and shelter was also important and currently healing was her trade.

Lir decided to wait now instead of blurting out anymore questions not wanting to seem crass, but knowledge seeking often thrilled her. Her curiosity was considered insatiable.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"Apprentice? Oh, no, not at all...I already have four. In fact, you'll have some trouble finding any work at all in Sabata just now...and certainly not any apprenticeships. The guilds approve new franchises frequently, but it'll be yahren before the city grows enough to keep up with all the refugees we have. I've even heard rumors of Master Craftsmen, recently arrived, applying for apprenticeships or journeyman licenses, just so they'll have some kind of work. Most guilds...my own included...aren't hearing any rank petitions just now due to...the saturation of our populace."

Rhanna didn't mention that she was one of the Guild Masters responsible for that very decision. The sudden influx of refugees included several would-be masters of the craft from Pan's Isle and Taquar. Those people were good at healing, herbalism, and even poisons...and if they were allowed to operate legally, they would have cut prices to the bone, generated competition for supply, and driven several Guild Herbologists...possibly even Rhanna herself...out of business. Thankfully, Sabata used a very traditional Guild system to control all skilled craft in the city, and this offered her and two other Masters considerable protection from the influx of people. Their decision to hold all rank petitions was also a careful decision designed to protect their own apprentices and journeymen, giving them a fighting chance to complete their development and potentially acquire franchise before the new immigrants. It was preferential, biased treatment...but it was the way of any Guild.

"I'm afraid the only job prospects in Sabata just now are caravan guard, bandit, or slave. If it weren't for the slavers, the Great Market would be flooded with beggars every day. It's a horrible situation," nodded the herbalist. Curiously, her face didn't show any kind of compassion towards those less fortunates...but she hadn't demonstrated too many expressions during Lir's entire visit, anyway.

"But then...I had assumed you were traveling. Why would you be seeking a map and medicine preservatives...and an apprentice placement? I had taken you to be preparing for some great trek, and yet I find you inquiring about work," she added, leaning back against the table upon which she had placed the laudanum earlier. Oh, sure...Rhanna knew that Lir might have wanted the laudanum and aloe to stock her personal cupboard here in Sabata...but that didn't require a map. Only travelers...or treasure hunters...needed a map.
Lir Calysta Markby
Civus

The shopkeeper's bad news was met with an unreadable expression on Lir's face. It did disappoint her to some degree but it did not surprise the ship healer. The shopkeeper's options also made it quite clear where the real money lay. She imagined that the herbalist was probably relieved that the slavers were taking away the skilled beggers from over saturating, or rather using Zhanna's word, flooding the Great Market.

"I guess you can call me curious." Lir said with a quick smile. "Often when one comes to town, it is important to get the lay of the land. If I wanted to travel, I would like to know what I have in front of me." It was none of the shopkeeper's business what her motives were. Her tactics were to confuse and with her curiosity about maps it seems to have done the job.

As she made ready to pay for her purchases, she gave a slight frown and looked at Zhanna. "I heard something earlier today that I was wondering if you could clarify a bit. It seems that there were some shifting of politicians lately. Does that happen often?" Lir wondered if the shopkeeper would drop some big names to see who might actually be running this town.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"Ha!" barked Zhanna, the smile on her face perhaps the first display of clear emotion Lir had yet seen on the woman. "Half of those in Sabata hardly know we even have...politicians. For the most of us, there is only Boss Harkhebi. His word is good enough for law here, for better or for worse. It is he that has hired many of the refugees. He hires them, and dresses them, and sends them to the streets to keep order."

It was clear to Lir that Zhanna's impression of this Harkhebi wasn't unlike her opinion of the slavery process. Perhaps not pleasant, but not without some kind of merit. "If you are taken up by Harkhebi's men, you must take my advise in this. Pay them. It is far cheaper than whatever law we have...and far faster as well."

Wrapping up the leaves and the laudanum, Zhanna continued to provide her distinctly colored version of politics in Sabata. "There are six Councilors, though I do not remember their names. There is Ramessu...and there is Bock...but I do not recall which one recently died, and who they have elected to replace him. You see, the Council does city works, but Sabata also has a mangai of guild Grandmasters that also meet to assist in this. I cannot remember well, but I seem to recall that the new Councilor works for the Company."
Lir Calysta Markby
Civus

Harkhebi, can be paid off? Lir thought to herself and took note. Then there was mention of six Councilors. Ramessu, Bock are two of them, and then there are the guild Grandmasters.

"The Company? What does this organization handle?" She asked curiously, still not knowing who the new Councilor's name was but perhaps if there was more information on what he works for might jog a name either from Zhanna or someone else.

It seemed like there was not one force of power but several that tugged interest one way or another. It made her wonder how chaotic everything got and if it could be exploitable.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

Zhanna paused. It was not a pause of fear or contempt, but one of surprise. "The Company. It is...The Eastern Sands Trading Company. Search the city for weeks, if you wish, but you will not find any trade or business worth doing in which the Company has not had a hand. The Company brings many caravans from the West...from World's Mouth...here to Sabata, and takes many local goods...including great supplies of laudanum, aloe, spices, glasses, metals, oh, the djinni know what else...back to World's Mouth. The Company also hires many local toughs, for any task. Some are hired to guard warehouses and markets, some to guard caravans...some to guard the manufactories...some are marched out into the desert for some purpose."

Zhanna presented the two bundles to Lir, but she was not done speaking of the Company. "They keep offices here...and they fund many of the public works required for the city to grow. It is said they have spent great moneys to win the hearts of the nomads, but such a thing is hopeless," she added, a strange conundrum given that Lir had seen plenty of indigenous People in the city already. "It is a popular trade among the local mercenaries to take up guard jobs with the Company. They frequently join caravans to Dragon's Keep, in the Howling Ice Mountains, where they depart the caravan and await a returning one to accompany it back to Sabata. The money is perhaps reasonable, but in recent times the risk has become almost too great."
Lir Calysta Markby
Civus

It sounded like this Company was the one to answer to. She also suspected it was the one to be careful of if she wanted to set out on her own.

Again there was mention of being a guard or escort type for caravans. She had a feeling she wouldn't make a good one and that would just lead to her demise. Inwardly, her resolve stiffened. She hated being weak and she gave herself a mental nudge.

"Who is considered the leader of this Company and how does one seek employment if they are interested?" She asked wanting to keep it on file to perhaps seek out the person later. Lir accepted the bundles and paid the shopkeeper readying herself with leaving the shop.

"You are very helpful. Thank you so very much...uh...." Then frowned slightly, "I do not believe I know your name, ma'am." It was not very customary to actually ask for a shopkeeper's name, but it would not hurt to network a bit. It also didn't hurt to just know a person's name especially if you might see them often enough because of their trade.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

"The leader? Hahahahahaha!"

It took a very brief moment, but Lir came to know that the shop keeper did not laugh from derision or contempt. She found Lir's question genuinely funny, for reasons entirely her own. "The leader! Oh, my dear, if you can find any one of them that might actually know who among them is leader, you will be far better informed than I! It is the Eastern Sands Trading Company...and they were born not here, but in the distant city of World's Mouth. They keep a holding...an office...here in Sabata, of course. Somewhere just near the well. I suspect you might go there and speak to them, if you wish, though I wonder if there truly is one leader of such a vast and ponderous organization?"

Zhanna didn't actually understand the specifics of the Eastern Sands Trading Company...but she knew that various people in Sabata actually owned part of "The Company". But that was a fairly simple thing to do...thousands of people owned at least a piece of the Great and Powerful Company. But a leader? Perhaps the one who owns the most of these pieces?

"My name is Zhanna, Master Healer and Herbalist. I am also the Grand Master of the guild. If you even find a willing teacher to make you an apprentice to the guild here in Sabata, then we will meet again," she said, taking her payment and palming it for now. "Good day to you, traveller, and good luck. If you need anything more, you can always find me here."
Lir Calysta Markby
Civus

If the ship healer was caught off guard by Zhanna's laughter, Lir didn't show it. She let the shopkeeper explain herself and again was not surprised that it seemed that she will have to do a whole lot more digging. "Interesting to say the least." Lir remarked on the last tidbit about having the most shares in this company.

As she prepared to leave, the one-eyed woman noted Zhanna's name and replied. "Well met, thank you, d'war. My name is Lir Marks. I will not doubt we will meet again." The name she gave during the war, a temporary name for a new place. With the packages in tow, she left to finish off the last of her errands before heading back to her temporary place of rest.

She managed to get healing supplies and know a bit more about this new place she had arrived and sighed softly. It was not enough. Going to several stalls, she picked up some clothing. Lir had a feeling that wearing so much leather would not be good while she was here and decided for a new look entirely.

Her eye was met to catch off-whites to blacks and blues. Loose fitting pants, a short sleeved kaftan that still enabled freedom to move about, sash, water pouch, sandals and a long scarf to swaddle her head and maybe even from time to time use as a veil to cover her mouth. She would probably use one of her blouses or tunics underneath the kaftan to soak up what sweat she could to keep it close to her body for better ventilation. The leather was getting to confining and having a constant layer of sweat would eventually break down her skin.

After all this has been gathered, or whatever she could find, she would head back to the Laughing Dwimmerwick for some supper.
Grant
Retired Game Designer

Post by Grant »

~Fin!!

Zhanna says, "The next time Grant spells my name with an 'R', be sure to thwap him for me!"

...sent for skillz and arcs.
Morg

Post by Morg »

Skilled :)
[size=84][i]"She told me I had too much to dream last night..."[/i] - [i]Apprentice of the Universe[/i], Pure Reason Revolution
Avatar by [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com]Liz Green[/url][/size]

Return to “The Sands Archive”