Trothgard - The Embol Rises - Ch 24th - MT

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Trothgard - The Embol Rises - Ch 24th - MT

Post by Vanadius »

A new day dawned in the frozen north. Last night's horrors of combat and death lead to new horrors in the early light as dawn broke. Bodies of the fallen lay stiff and frozen where they had been slain. Patches of red snow snaked out from the under the hard and unmoving like violent flowers. Dogs worried about the corpses, snatching and tearing flesh from the bodies and scurrying away.

The Embol himself, who some knew as Skaalyr, could be found in the middle of the town of Rimmerhold, out in the streets, half sprawling and half leaning against a dog sled. He was enjoying a long pipe carved from bone and the blue-gray smoke could be smelled in nearly corner of the capital of the North. The heads of the Kona, Thaara and several other prominent tribal leaders lay morbidly at his feet. He kicked away a stray dog that sniffed a little too closely to one of his trophies.

The nearly silent Hrut stood at his elbow and was casually eating a leg of roasted chicken. The angular warrior had a large bloodstain on his left arm, but whether it was his or someone else's was unknown. The dirk that he had used to kill the Kona was sheathed at his hip, almost forgotten now as he broke his fast. Several other warriors stood nearby, and groups sat in various places stitching one another up, laughing and enjoying the spoils of war.

One woman could be seen. She was unbound and walked freely. In the village of Freehold she was known as Kari. She never spoke, but she was very vigilant and alert. She carried a waterskin and handed it to Hrut, then stood quietly beside the slayer of the Kona watching the dogs warily.

Two men approached carrying a litter between them. When they neared Skaalyr, they sat the litter down and the Embol looked to the wounded man that they were carrying. It was Kaarl, the renegade priest and scribe of the Elders.

Kaarl lifted the heavy skin that covered him and showed Hrut and Skaalyr his wound. It was a long, ugly cut from under his arm down past his waist on one side. Runnels of fresh blood gushed from the wound as he moved.

"That bitch Thaara gave me this scar." He spat angrily, nodding towards her severed head that lay a few steps away.

"I won't be able to make it back to Grimkell like this. You'll have to carry me."

Hrut tossed the remains of his breakfast away without thought, and gestured for Kari's short spear. He tested it's weight for a few flickers before whirling about in a blur and finished by driving the razor sharp steel point through Kaarl's mouth and out the back of his head into the frozen ground underneath. He jerked the spear free and handed it back to the silent woman.

"Carry him..." Hrut said, laughing. The warrior shook his head mockingly as Kari and Skaalyr chuckled along.
Last edited by Vanadius on Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Edmond walked aimlessly through the city, viewing the carnage of the night before. He was tired, but could not find sleep. His mind was far to restless. He had remembered vaguley the events of last night, and he couldn't understand why he had commited such atrocities. His mind wandered, and before he knew it, he was in the town square. Viewing the town, Edmond's breath haltered, he viewed the Embol. The man he had fought for. He was disgusted by the man, and he stayed on the outskirts of the square.

Hrut, the man who had, somehow, convinced him to join in this battle. He could feel nothing but animosity for the man now, and reeled slightly when he saw him drive the spear through the mouth of the helpless Kaarl. He felt the need to run, to get away from this place. However, doing so would surely cause his demise. The soldiers of the Embol now controlled the north. He would not be able to leave without attrackting attention. He reasoned he would have to stay in town for a few days, hopefully finding voyage on a merchant vessel. Where would he go? He had no idea, maybe to the Western Kingdom, anywhere but here. For now though, he would play the part of any other soldier.
Hamar so`Bergliin
Civus

Post by Hamar so`Bergliin »

Hamar too was watching from the distance though more from a desire for to be alone with his thoughts. He had his revenge on those that would have used him and the goddess who froze but could not break him. Still, as Hamar watched Hrut spear the wounded Kaarl, he could not help but wonder if that is where Ruud was to lead him.

Hamar noticed the tall southern man recoil from the Kaarl's execution. A kindred spirit, perhaps? Hamar rose from his crouch and walked over to him. "Did you feel that too harsh, Outlander?" Hamar's voice came from behind him. "Most here would willing cut their own throats before being a burden on a fellow warrior and taking meat and milk that the whole could use."

Post by Guest »

Edmond made little recognition to the man who spoke for a long moment, before turning his head. Brown hair fell over his eyes, and he was forced to brush it out of his face. He stared at the man for another moment, taking note. He was fairly slim, and not entirely tall either. But, Edmond reminded himself, he had fought with him just the night before, and he knew the man, Hamar was his name, was quite capable. "I find it harsh, yes. But it's their way, and I shall not intrude." He replied, choosing his words carefully, as not to stir anger in the man.
Hamar so`Bergliin
Civus

"Yes it is their way." Hamar echoed. "But I sometimes wonder if it is mine." He admitted. "Life for a man was tough under the Kona but they never put the wounded down like a dog." Hamar spat into the bloody snow. "I fought for a better life. "That wasn't what I pictured."

"How did you come to join this fight, Outlander." Hamar asked. "Were you a slave?"
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

The Embol looked in the direction of the two men speaking quietly to one another, but said nothing. He continued his conversation with Hrut and Kari for a few more burns and then walked off alone in the direction of the Temple.

Hrut and Kari continued to speak to one another in hushed tones themselves, and some men began to assemble a stack of wood and other consumables for a fire.

Torches were brought forward and a bonfire was started. Workers brought bodies of the dead and after stripping them of their valuables, they were heaped on the fire.

The sickly sweet smell of burning flesh soon permeated the town.

Kari raised her spear in silent tribute to the dead, and the skin of a great white bear was carried around the flames as the men danced and sang an ancient song of battle and conquest...

"Our axes hew the enemy down
Over rill and dale
We fight and die for iron crown
and pierce the dragon scale

Spear points bright and sharp as sin
Old Braagi comes to call
He comes to take both kith and kin
He comes to take us all..."

The men paraded the skin of the white bear around for another turn around the flames, enjoying their victory and it's spoils as they shared roasted meat and horns of mead.

The bonfire grew, its flames leaping towards the heavens above, the dense and sooty smoke trailing off in the chill morning air.

Post by Guest »

(((Sorry for the delay.)))

"Then why did you fight against the Kona? Surely you realised what would happen if you fought with them?" Edmond said, his voice a shadow of a whisper. His eyes trailed back to the bonfire now lit. The sickly smell of burning flesh permeated his senses. It was... unpleasent. He cringed a moment when the man mentioned slavery. He debated whether to tell the man of his past or not.

"Yes, I was a slave. I was born in Sabata, I don't know if you know of it, but it's a dreadful place. Slavery run's rampent their." He whispered, it seemed to be difficult for Edmond to say those words. "I was bought by a merchant at the age of sixteen, and served under him for a very short time. I was sold to the military..." He paused, it seemed he was to say something more, but he decided against it. "Now I am here."
Hamar so`Bergliin
Civus

"Why did I fight the Kona?" Hamar echoed. "Because she and the rest of the Wise Women betrayed me. They saw that I had a rare and special power and claimed that they would help me to control it and make it grow. Instead they used me to find Skaali and planned to kill us both." Hamar spat onto the bloody ground. "No, Trothgard is well rid of them."

"But I fought for a land where a man could rise as far as his talents would take him where all men were brothers." Hamar went on. "Not a for a land where the reward for being injured in loyal service is a spear to the throat."

Hamar listened to Edmond's tale. "I know not of Sabata but we have slaves here too. We try to treat them well." The words were meant to be reassuring but even to Hamar they sounded hollow. "In a sense we men were slaves to the women and then we took slaves of our own so we could feel strong. Perhaps that should change."
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

"You there!"

A voice shouted, causing many eyes to turn to see the source of the distraction. It was quickly apparent that many of the eyes were on Edmond and Hamar and it was Skaali himself that was trying to hail them.

"Both of you!"

Skaali waved his arm, beckoning them to come forward.

"Don't be shy! Come and get your reward!"
Hamar so`Bergliin
Civus

Hamar shook himself from his reverie and clapped Edmond on the shoulder. "We are hale and we fought well in the battle. Surely we shall fare better than Kaarl."

Hamar walked briskly over to Skaalyi and leaned casually on his hammer. "The battle was bloody, the spoils plentiful, and I have feasted well." Hamar smiled at his master. "What further reward would you give me?"
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

OOC: Was giving Edmond a chance to jump in, but I think we'll just keep a little forward momentum.

Skaali looked down at the body of Kaarl and smirked. It was a mocking, all too knowing grin.

"Kaarl brought that much upon himself long before he was wounded in the battle. His betrayal runs much deeper than perhaps you will ever know. But that is a story for another time."

The sorcerer's eyes locked with Hamar's.

"Well shaper. None of this would have been possible without you, so if it is within my power to grant you a boon, I would do that as well as repay you in spoils. Name your payment, and I will do what I can to make it come to pass."

He gave Hamar a chance to mull it over and turned towards Edmond next.

"And you outworlder. I'm sure this all seems grim and bloody to you. I admit, the ways of the north are not for all men. But should you wish to stay, I can make use of you as a guide of sorts. The Kona had allegiances in the southlands. There will be those that are coming to my court to either kill me in retribution, or those willing to pay tribute to a new king. Our ways are not for all, so you can be an... intermediary if you wish it. Someone to explain things to other outworlders. If not, you are free to do as you will. All of Trothgard is free now. The reign of witches is at an end. We will turn our attention to others now. Those that have been long ignored. Freedom is freedom for all."

Post by Guest »

Edmond approached silently with Hamar, not wanting much to do with Skaali. However, when he was directly confronted by Skaali, Edmond knew he must say something.

"It is true I find these ways... different. But from where I hail, such a death would still be welcomed." Edmond replied, his face square and unreadable. He ventured this was what was looked highly upon in the North. "However, I have been away from the South for a number of years. I sought asylum here from those who would want me dead. I'm not sure if they have given up on me or not." Shifting his weight and crossing his arms across his chest, he was silent in thought. A sudden gust of wind blew a few strands of his chestnut hair into his eyes. Brushing it away, he looked back at Skaali. "I could help introduce diplomats to the ways of the North. Of course, after I refine my own knowledge of the customs." Nodding his head in respect, he waited for Skaali's reply.
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

OOC: Giving Hamar a little more time.
Hamar so`Bergliin
Civus

Hamar was silent as Edmond spoke. It gave him time to organize his own thoughts. "When first left Rimmerhold, I wanted many things. A workshop to make fine crystal. A wife that would increase my standing. Power. Repsect." Hamar shrugged. "Now I just want to walk my Ruud and climb the Vaal." He decided. "Any aid or advice you can give, my master, I will take to heart."
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

"The Vaal? If you want that than it is beyond my power to give to you. The wall was here long before you or I and will likely be here long after we are but dust. Few can or will walk that road with you sir."

The man shifted his weight from one foot to the other.

"If there is any advice I could give, it would be to watch for the White Ones. Bears and trolls and beasts of the white wastes can be easily frightened off, but the White Ones know no fear, and will seek you out for your hot blood. Do not stray far from the wall, and keep to the south of it, the protected side if you can. Avoid the Oracles as well. They are nothing but nasty, confusing old men that will wrap up your mind like Kaarl, and have you spouting nonsense and gibberish. Take a good spear, a good woman and something of color. Everything up there is white, and a man's eyes could grow weary of it."

His eyes traveled to Edmond again.

"Good. It is done. When outworlders come, you will be my voice and my eyes. You will tell them of our ways, as well when their ways will clash with ours."

The sorcerer smiled a feral, wolfish grin.

"And when those that would see you dead arrive, be certain to tell us which, and they will be dealt with."

"So shaper. Gods be with you. You shall always have a place in our hall."
Vanadius

Post by Vanadius »

Locked / skilled / archived

Return to “Trothgard Archive”