Night to Remember – Underside

Moderator: Mods

Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Post by Ashtallion Urdil »

Ashtallion regarded Danomel's back as he wandered further along the sewer before his attention was drawn back to corpse as Corbin turned it over. He wanted to grimace, personally he would have used magic to flip it over, but the result was the same he supposed. The mage peered at the tattoo of the light house.

Light-house....was there something there. Why did the light-house stick in his mind?

Mentally shrugging it off, he once more focused on the body. Ashtallion agreed that the man must have suffered for sometime before being discarded. It was a pity he never dabbled in the Arts of Life and Death....othewise he could have contacted the spirit of the man and gained some answers.

" I doubt we will find out this eveningtide whether he gave in or not. Do any of you recognise the tattoo's as a.....I don't know....a symbol or some such? I don't, though the light house sticks in my mind. ", he shook his head slowly, his sorcery was draining him, he was tired and smelt like he had just.....traversed through a sewer. Sighing, the magus glanced to Danomel once more. " Did you find a way out along there? "
Last edited by Ashtallion Urdil on Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Tearing his eyes away from the gross, but somehow fascinating, visualization of the corpse Danomel glances back up the tunnel. Turning his attention to the Adhiel mage, he nods. “Looks like about seventy five to a hundred paces there is some sort of opening, at least the night sky is visible. To see it at this distance, the opening must be at least man size.”

Pausing for a flicker, Danomel considers the mages comment. Light house? Nothing, though most are usually distinct, should be able to identify which one possibly? Taking a good look at the tattoo, hel fixes the details in his mind.

“Not much more to do for this poor fellow, other than report his presence here.” Danomel comments. “Though with the fire and all it might be a few days. Speaking of which, it is probably still be burning up there and we have no idea how structurally sound these tunnels are, so that is probably another reason to get moving!”
Last edited by Danomel on Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By all the Dodos! these are thoughts of weight,
Most venerable, wise, and out of date.
(from [i]The Paradise of the Birds[/i], by [i]W. J. Courthope[/i])

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Their travels have brought them away from the burning wreck the Red Banner has become, streams of water pouring down through the grates behind them filled with soot and ashes from the flames, as citizens sought to avoid another fire like the one brought by the riots last year. The image upon the dead man's back was quite detailed and very well done, though it could still be just about any lighthouse in the world, not reminiscent of any they have seen before. Someone had taken great time to painstakingly draw a lighthouse with all of its details, every brick it was made of easily distinguished. Upon closer inspection a seated figure of a bearded man sat near the base, leaned back in a chair, seemingly busy fishing and smoking something, though the picture was not detailed enough to make it possible for them to distinguish pipe from something else.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Not seeing to much more to be gained by standing around a dead body knee deep in sludge in the sewers of the Citadel, Danomel once again turns towards what he hopes will turn out to be a man sized exit.

“Hopefully his soul is resting in the peace he seems to have missed out on in the last part of his life” he comments. “But I think it is past time we really got out of this place. I am heading over to check out the break over yonder. I hope it is big enough for us to get through.”

Danomel heads towards the opening he saw earlier.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion took a final lingering look over the corpse, especially the tattoo, bunring it into his memory for future reference if need be. He looked up as Danomel once more headed further down the sewer towards the strip of moonlight coming from the surface.

The sorcerer, in silence, followed Danomel, thinking Corbin and the other would be just behind them.
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

"I'm inclined to agree with you Danomel." Corbin said as he inspected the body more closely. "It looks like this man suffered a lot before he died. The brothel security would no doubt have killed him quickly, and dumped him." It was a mystery, to be sure. Corbin liked mysteries - though it seemed he had quite a few on his plate at the moment.

He inspected the tattoo carefully, taking in the details. Nothing sparked a detailed memory, though it did seem to be of some importance, hence the detail. He consigned it to his memory, and decided to try and establish what it might be.

Corbin stood up and released the body, letting it slide back into its putrid grave. Turning he jogged a little, kicking up the filth he walked in, to catch up with his companions. He would be glad when this evening was over.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

It almost turned out to be another dead end, the exit closed with a set of thick steel bars, squares of about foot across affording the view of the harbor beyond. Only once they cam close did it become clear that a number of bars were missing a hole about a yard hight and twice as wide gaping in the obstacle. They would however have to submerge into the much and refuse to slip under the bars and out to fresh air once more.

OOC: I think we are nearly done here. Do post a short summary when you get out.
The diplomacy is the art of saying "Good dog", while you are searching for a big rock.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

“Well does this not just complete the evening?” The question is obviously rhetorical, as Danomel surveys the exit.

“Well I suppose it is better than stumbling about looking for another exit.” Danomel comments, trying real hard to convince himself of that fact.

“Say, could not one of you mages maybe bend the bars for a bit more clearance?”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

"I'm filthy enough as it is." Corbin grumbled as his tired body sought to take control of the magic that always filled the air. He sought to take control of bind the bars with magic and knock them clean from their position, or at least bend them. This was no time for finesse, and he concentrated on brute force to move the bars.
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

Ashtallion regarded the bars with an exasperated frown. No doubt the bars where there to ensure that illicit groups and thieves could not use the sewers as a means of easy movement, however they seemed to serve little other purpose other than a minor hinderence. Any with enough skill or strength would have been able to bypass these things.

The sorcerer felt the familiar twinge of magic being used, and watched Corbin intently as he sought to take action upon Danomels' suggestion. Despite being physically exhausted, Asht surmised that he could have aided the younger mage, but decided to reserve his own strength. They were not out of the sewers yet, and who knew what they have to face on the streets, although they were some distance from the Banner.
Grey Wolf
Furry Game Designer

Post by Grey Wolf »

Though there was hardly a need for such expenditure of magickal energy, but in the end it worked. The power came out of Corbin in a sudden burst of force, pieces of iron sent flying outward and into the night. A single spark fell upon Ashtalion's cheek, burning a scar the adhiel mage's skin, his flesh sizzling for a flicker before the metal cooled. Corbin, already weary from their tunneling effort before, felt his head swim for a moment, his sight narrowing to a small point the world around him going hazy. It was the splash of cold water upon his face, as he fell forward and into the water about them that brought him back to his senses, the achadhiel mage sputtering and coughing as the foul liquid threatened to fill his lungs. There was little real danger of him drowning and the quartet made it out without much bother, finding themselves near the docks with way to the city clear of any obstacles. Half the Citadel was already busy putting out the fire at the Red Banner, and they were doing a damn fine job of it.

OOC: Fin?
Ashtallion Urdil
Battle Mage

The golden haired sorcerer inhaled the fresher air once he had emerged from the sewer, however the stench that clung to him, periodically overpowered even that. Ashtallion turned and regarded the others, " I wish I could say this was a pleasure, gentlemen....but it was never the less an experience. I bid you all a good eveningtide.... ", his eyes strayed in the direction of the Banner. " I doubt I will be needed for anything else. "

His golden gaze fell upon Corbin and a mask of cold professionalism slid into place. " I will surely see you about the University, apprentice Corbin. And in future, be careful with the amount of force you put into your weavings.... ", slender fingers rose to gingerly touch the slight burn mark on his cheek. " ....had you put any more into that spellwork, this could have been far worse. ", without another word, the sorcerer spun on his heel and headed back towards the University. It would have made sense for the adhiel mage to accompany Corbin back to the magical school, yet the younger wizards weaving made him less inclined to do so, seeing as the result was a mark upon his otherwise flawless complexion.

There was another reason for his hastey farewell....but one he was not about to share with anyone else. All the way back to the University, the mage stuck as much as possible to the shadows.

OOC: Finished for me anyway. Thanks guys! :)
valsert
Sergeant of the Purple Guard

Post by valsert »

The idea that danger had passed some how seemed wrong. Flickers before, Valsert had been on the brink of nothingness...prepared to be done with his life in exchange for the victory at the Banner.

And now... freedom and air.

The reality that his eyes offered him was all he could have hoped for. The fires being put down expertly, coming to the surface at such a distance from the 'crime', and in the end even the stench filled near death experience under ground had resulted in an untrackable escape from any who may have followed him.

'Bagh..paranoid' Valsert thought, thinking of how best to return to the Sentinel. The noise and damage was sure to attract attention at some point, and the young Purple Guardsman had not intentions of being around when it did.

"Yes. Good night Gents." he spoke after Ashtallion. Then moved off to shadows of his own.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Upon emerging from the sewers, Danomel took a burn or so to look around the area. Lost in thought, he watched in silence as some of the others began to wander off. Something was bothering him about the whole evening’s experience, but he could not quit put his finger on it. So he took the time to fix the area they emerged to in his mind, not that he really wanted to ever come back here.

Having done what he could to satisfy his curiosity, Danomel decided that what he really wanted was to find some place to wash the filth from his body, and a good long soak in some hot water definitely seemed in order.

He nodded to those remaining. “It has been an interesting evening, but I think I need to get cleaned up, and probably find some new clothes. Well that gives me something to do tomorrow anyway. So I must take my leave of your company.”

Danomel sighs and heads off into the night.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Corbin Dillon
Noble Apprentice

Post by Corbin Dillon »

The exertions of the evening took its toll on Corbin as he toppled forward, momentarily dazed until the cold water awoke him again. The sensation of swallowing the fetid water was entirely unpleasant, and Corbin barely managed to keep himself from vomitting, but by force of will he did so, and clambered out of the mess, his good nature still intact.

"Well, I suppose being filthy inside as well as out is a fitting ending for the night." He said with a wry grin, wiping his face with his hand to clean some of the muck off.

He nodded as the Professor said he would see Corbin back at the University, and the others bid farewell.

"Good evening to you all." He said with a bow, and then turned to make his way home through the streets of the Citadel.

OOC: Yep, I'm done too!
Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Post by Vanadius »

Locked, skilled, archived

Return to “Outer Ring Archive”