All in a Days Work (Archives MT Chyril 22)

Moderator: Mods

Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Each word was spat out with barely checked fury. "You. Had. Better." She commanded. "No doubt the Caeser and Major Domus will send an auditor when they hear of the incompetant way this archive is being run. Rest assured you have not heard the last of this." She hissed. Lucienda spun on her heel and stalked out of the archive. Her loudly mumbled invectives grew fainter and fainter until Danomel was sure the demon had been exorcised.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Watching Lucienda depart, Danomel could not help but wonder about how some people were never satisfied. He was sure Lucienda would never be satisfied, even if she got everything she wanted.

However, she had indeed brought something to his attention that was worth looking into. He would have to look into exactly what happened to the book. Besides, it would give him an opportunity to become familiar with another aspect of work at the archives. And he would definitely have to swing by the Repository to see if they had a copy of the fifth volume. Not that he wanted to get involved with whatever nefarious schemes Lucienda was planning, rather just to satisfy his own curiosity.

But then all that could all wait for another day.
By all the Dodos! these are thoughts of weight,
Most venerable, wise, and out of date.
(from [i]The Paradise of the Birds[/i], by [i]W. J. Courthope[/i])

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

OOC: Are we fin then?
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Barrett
Priest of Aurelius - Querist

Post by Barrett »

(OOC: I hope this is alright?)

Having taken care of ambassadorial business, Barrett Threespan was free to check in at last with his official office in Citadel. Besides, he had already instructed several folk to contact him at Archives and it would be uncharacteristically inconsiderate of him to not at least check in with more detailed instructions and messages. Hopefully Tabeann wouldn't mind the potential intrusions.

Well, at least one scholar in languages will be welcoming to any visiting gnomes.

The Querist swept into the Archives with a familiar stride - although with his balding-greying hair and new mustaches, it might take a few flickers for those present to recognize him.

Certainly the disgruntled noblewoman he passed in the hall was a distraction unto herself.

Hmph. We perhaps we ought to be more discriminating in allowing access...
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

It took Danomel a moment to notice Barrett. But when he did, he motioned him over. What luck, I may not need to dash over to the Repository after all.

Picking up the ledger he had been working with, Danomel moves over to join Barrett. “Ah, Barrett, good to see you again. Something of a new look? I hope you did not get run over by her royal pain in the arrears, The Lady Lucienda! She seems to be somewhat miffed at not being able to get access to a book, though she does not strike me as the scholarly type, but then one can never tell.”

“Would you have a moment or so, I have a few queries you may be able to shed some light on. But maybe someplace a little less public, in case her royal pain decides to return suddenly?”

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

"Danomel... I am pleased to see you again. There were times these past few - well, never mind that. Lucienda you say?"

Although clearly excited to be in the company of a fellow scholar, the priest allowed his voice to lower to a discreet volume.

"Best use discretion in expressing one's opinions: with a new Caesar one never knows who will end up in favor or in new positions of authority. Not to mention that some have spies even among the archives staff."

"I am happy to oblige a fellow thinker. Are you quartered here as staff, then? I imagine my own room might be a little dusty after so much time away."

Thinking of his own quarters brought other concerns to the forefront. Gently he reached out to the Aether, seeking the familiar energies of the Archives and its environs. Among other things he hoped to sense the Rosestone still tucked away in safety.
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

The energies of the Library were comforting, a familiar balm of latent knowledge. As his senses approached the Vault, Barrett felt the disturbing nothingness that the Rosestone exuded. All was as it should be on the Aether.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

As you say, politically uncertain times. But then when are times not politically uncertain? Let us adjourn to the staff wing.

As they walk, Danomel asks Barrett, “What do you know of the fifth volume of Meriklar the Wanderer? I remember the Repository had a few of the volumes, but I don't recall if they had the fifth one. I need to ascertain what that specific volume contained. I am hoping you might have read it and have some recollection of the content. That would save me a trip later in the day. I seem to recall it dealt with his journeys in the deserts between the cities of Sabata and Dragonskeep.

Barrett is right in not discussing issues in public, but sometimes he seems to be a bit overcautious. But I suppose that is not a bad thing, Danomel thinks to himself. But I don't know if I am cut out to be overly paranoid.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Barrett's eyes seemed unfocused for a moment, the Aether draw of the place of Knowledge calling him to explore... but the spell was broken when he touched upon the fringe of the Rosestone's field of nullification.

"Meriklar the Wanderer, you say? I have encountered some of his volumes..."
The thought set Barrett off upon an excited meanering speech that was a bit more romantic and spontaneous than was normal.

"There's a fellow after my own heart you know. And now that I've my own ship, hehe - I do hope to start my own travel volumes. Of course with the airship technology increasing, we may even be able to expand upon the Wanderer's travels a bit. He had the Gates, but was limited to where they were networked. Yes, how does that sound..."

The wild enthusiasm was gone just as suddenly as it had appeared, the priest having regained the thread of Danomel's question.
"But you were asking about specific volumes, eh, let's see..."

"I take it you have already checked here? I knew we were missing the Fourth volume at least, but I had not checked on the others. The Repository now... I believe they were missing the Stanis mentioned the Second was missing. He sort of implied that they had all of the others. Hmph. I was supposed to check the Archives to see if we had the Second, wasn't I... so little time for such things... "

"Is it for this Lady that you seek such a valuable volume?"
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

“Air ship you say!” Danomel responds as they make there way to the staff living quarters. “I've only had the chance to see the one. But your own? Now that is something. How big is it? Do you have a crew?”

Once they reach the staff wing, Danomel leads the way to his room, which tends to be a reflection of his personality. On the one side the desk and book shelves. A few volumes from the Archives neatly ordered, several neat stacks of notes, writing materials and the like all in their proper place. On the other hand, the bed was rather poorly made, Several drawers in the small wardrobe were open with various articles of clothing in a state of disarray, and the wash basin water in need of changing. Danomel closes the door behind him, plops down on the end of the bed, leaving the chair for Barrett.

“Oh if things were so simple. Yes the lady was looking for the volume, and rather insistent about finding it. But let me back up a step here.” Danomel begins, now that they have some privacy.

“The short of it, she has been given access, and the staff told to help as much as possible. Today I was the one unlucky enough to not see her coming. She was seeking the fifth volume. Which turned out to have been sent to restoration awhile ago, with some torn pages. It should have been back, and when I went to check on it, well I had to really search and all I could find was the binding with the pages missing.”

Needless to say, the Lady was not thrilled with the news that it was unavailable. Then she immediately started asking about books on ghosts. She also asked who the last person to check the book out was. Wonderer if she will realize she never got the name. Which reminds me, I need to check what books the Lady has been looking at recently.”

“I have to say, the Lady Lucienda seems a very ambitious person. She obviously hates her to be mother in-law. And she probably desires to be queen of the world, though I doubt that would really satisfy her. She is smart, I will give her that, and dissimulates like a real pro. Seems to have a problem with her temper though.”

“I did not mention to her that the Repository might have a copy, I would not want to wish her presence on them. I was going to check and see if they had the fifth volume, and maybe find out what she was so interested in finding out. Obviously something related to the super natural.”

“With the exception of what happened to the copy here, I should probably let this one go, but unfortunately my interest has been piqued as to what she is up to. Though no good will likely come of it.”

“From your response, I take it you have not read it. So I guess I will have to go to the Repository later today anyway, and check into the missing pages tomorrow. I should also probably check on the status of other books sent for restoration.”
Last edited by Danomel on Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

Barrett chuckled and retrieved a sheaf of papers from his satchel.
"The specs for the Grace are all in my report, which will be available for review once I submit it to Mistress Tabeanne. Ownership is a bit tricky. Officially it is an Imperial vessel: funded by the Trading Guild and Dort Companies, designed and built by the master engineers of Nipponar - a group which now includes me, I might add."

"Lucienda... Lucienda Marcada? That would make her future mother that duplicitous Mouthie woman. Distress is a natural reaction to the union for any number of reasons. But why the sudden special access treatment to the archives? By whose instructions?"

Barrett had his suspicions, but there were a number of more legitimate avenues by which such a request might have been made.

"Ghosts... did she mention any specific hauntings or locations?"

"Incidentally who was the last to check out that volume? Whoever sought it out previously might be able to shed some light on the lady's interest. Then again, her interest in that area could be strategic from a family standpoint, if she were to successfully research some manner of gaining influence in trade patterns of Sabata it might change the way our trading efforts there have been going while also snubbing the Mouth representatives."
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

"Good question, but she and her brother have been granted access to all but the most restricted sections of the Archives" Danomel responds to Barretts question.

"From my limited observations, her dislike for her mother-inlaw borders on psychotic. My guess would be that she has somehow interfered with one or more of Lucienda's future plans." Danomel continues with a frown. "I find it hard to fathom where that much hate comes from. After all it is not like they are going to see each other outside of formal official functions?"

"But I would surmise her intent as far as the supernatural is control" Danomel says as he recalls the earlier conversation. "She made two quick changes to the subject when I mentioned dealing with ghosts, neither of which made much sense, though they were beautifully executed."

Shuffling his notes, Danomel nods. "The book was last checked out two yarn ago by one Simon Ginneke, listed as the Imperial Thaumaturge."

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Barrett

Post by Barrett »

"Special access, special reasons. Perhaps Mistress Tabeann can shed some more light on the subject. In the meantime, I would suggest you be conveniently busy when Lucienda returns. Certainly don't mention anything you find at the Repository."

"Hate is somewhat natual considering both 'mother' and 'daughter' seek to be women of influence. At the very least, Lucienda's inheritance is lessened. Perhaps it can be played upon by a shrewd outsider for some manner of alliance. But with whom... ah, I digress once more."

"So you got the impression she wanted to control a ghost or ghosts... I wonder if it's something to do with established hauntings or with whoever she has bribed or blackmailed for special access."

Barrett laughed at the last lendee of the volume.
"Ha, Simon. I wonder f he forgot to return it. If it was on his desk during the Oneist attack, I can see why it might be irreparable."

Of course, mirth could not last long at the thought of the loss of such a valuable volume.

"Quite a shame. We might consider drafting a replacement copy for the Archives if we can find another."
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

"Well the volume did make it back, and with no report of damage." Danomel comments about Ginneke. "And there are other more mundane possibilities for the missing content. For instance since there were damaged pages reported, the content could very well be in another section being recopied. As the cover was in the binding area, not the most pleasant of environments to copy in. Something to look into."

"But concerning the ladies activities," Danomel continues. "Since she was extremely interested in the fifth volume, I suspect part of the answer might be found there. There was something else, she almost... I really need to look at that volume, she might have let a bit of information slip. It was such a small thing, but..." Danomel frowns as he tries to recall something, but seems to be drawing a blank.

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Vanadius
Moderator & Coordinator Terra West

Post by Vanadius »

Skilled to this point and locked. Archived due to inactivity.

Return to “Patrician's Ring Archive”