Negotiations Continue~Hafne, Chyril 25th, MT

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Mairi Armstrong
Envoy

Negotiations Continue~Hafne, Chyril 25th, MT

Post by Mairi Armstrong »

Mairi made her way down to the harbour just before the fifth mark, and quickly located the warehouse in which she'd been able to borrow a room. For the last few days she had been thinking carefully about how to approach the next phase of negotiation.

Her mind turned briefly to the Citadel as she entered the warehouse. It was the day of the Coronation, she remembered - a shame she had to miss all the celebrations. It would have been a memorable occasion, and something to tell the kids about one day (I was there when the Caesar was crowned...of course I met him once, you know..). She hadn't voted for Andolin, but he hadn't made a bad impression as such, and she held no particular reservations about his rule.

Refocusing on the task at hand, she wondered which of the O'Briens would be meeting her. Would they have sent a small party? Perhaps she ought to have brought someone to back her up. Still, they were seemingly the most receptive of the Clans to some sort of settlement. Hopefully she would finally make some progress with her stubborn people.
~The shadowy mountains and the echoing sea~
[size=75]avatar made from a photo by [url=http://www.sxc.hu/profile/alesia17]alesia17[/url][/size]
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

Mairi didn’t have long to wait before the envoy from O’Brien began to show up. As it turned out, the Chief himself was unable to make an appearance but he had sent along the Tanist, a solid man in his early thirties who went by the name Tavis. Tavis was one of those highland giants that Clan breeding occasionally threw out. He was well known as a champion tree tosser, in addition to the other talents which had earned him the position of successor to the largest and richest Clan in Islay. Although he had not come alone, as soon as he saw that Mairi had he dismissed the man by his side and crossed the room to stand facing her.

“Mairi Armstrong.” He greeted her with a curt nod of his head and a quiet gaze, looking down from almost a foot above her. So this was the Count-appointed representative of Islay. She looked a decent enough sort, he supposed, although some had spoken of her as the Duke’s puppet after her high-fallutin’ at the Clanmeeting two nights ago.

“Tavis O’Brien. I speak for Jura,” he told her, referring to the four Clans of the roving, which also included the McKennas, O’Connors and O’Sheas. “Flint too, if the Chief can make ‘em see sense. An’ yerself, Mairi Armstrong?”
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Avatar by enayla at allavatars.com[/size]
Mairi Armstrong
Envoy

Crikey thought Mairi. I wouldn't like to run into this fellow on a dark night!. Still, he seemed fairly polite, dismissing his colleague in that way. She returned his nodded greeting.

"Well, as you may know Mr. O'Brien, I'm from Skara myself. My mam's a MacDermot. But I'm working for the Count and the Duke now, although I wouldn't say I speak for them," she said in her natural accent. "My job is to represent the interests of the Clans. I want us all to come to an agreement that works out well for everyone, without any more troubles for Islay. We've had enough, don't ye think?"

She paused for a moment and then continued.

"Mr. O'Brien - Tavis, if I may address you so - I felt at the meeting the other night that we may be able to come to some agreement. So tell me, what do the Clans of Jura and Flint want? And what can you give me in return?"
[size=75]avatar made from a photo by [url=http://www.sxc.hu/profile/alesia17]alesia17[/url][/size]
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

"Our wants are simple Mairi. To live in peace, an' to see our people prosper," replied giant man directly. "No taxes is always nice as well," he added with a grin, "but o'course, it cannae be so easy."

"You and I can come to an agreement just fine. All this talk o' rebellin' never sat so well wi' Jura folk. We live well under Duke Erwin. Truth be told, it's your Skara who're bound for trouble. Them an' those gypsy MacGregors." He shook his head and troubled creases wrinkled his brow.

"In case you haven't heard, I'll lay it out for ye. The MacGregor shaman, Milkhaire, he slew a demon last Samheen. Since then, all the Clans ha' been dancin' to his tune. I dinnae think the whitebeard cares much for politics, whatever those who speak for him say, but he cares even less for Pecunian folk and their ways. 'Tis known that he seeks a return to the old religion all over Dort. But the Duke will never stand for it."

"Now your Donovans and McDermotts are with him all the way. Sometimes I wonder if it isnae the other way around, the amount of time Kinlock Levan spends whisperin' in the ears of any MacGregor that'll hear him." Kinlock was the son and heir of the Donovan chief and Tavis' dislike of him was evident on his face.

"'Tis Kinlock who speaks of oppression and neglect by the crown. He makes it worse than it is, but he's not wrong. The Duke pulls his troops to Dort and the Sunfire Brigade leaves Hafne to burn. 'Twill be a hard year for the crops in Islay, but our grain will be set to make whiskey, instead of feedin' our own." The Tavis' expression grew increasingly frustrated as he spoke. "The Chief said to them, negotiate with the Duke. We don't have to fight to keep our food. But after Kinlock, none of them will trust a Clansman with a good word for the crown."

"As things stand, I can't speak against the uprising, Mairi. I can tell ye what I want," Tavis sighed. "But I'll be jiggered if I know what I can give you in return. I'm hopin' ye can tell me."
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Mairi Armstrong
Envoy

Mairi nodded as the large man described his desire for a peaceful resolution. She gave a large sigh - the clan factionalism he revealed was nothing new. And don't they just make everything a hundred times more complicated with their squabbling? she thought to herself. One might have thought that in the face of invasion, demon attacks and serious hardship the people might draw together. But no, got to make it hard on ourselves. Sounds about right for the Clans.

"Tavis, we're on the same page here, believe me. I know it was wrong of the Duke to leave Hafne like that, but he can make amends. I've been here working with him and the Count over the last few months and they do want to help us get back what we lost," she replied. It was a slight exaggeration, of course -she could tell that the Duke was mainly concerned with restoring his profits from Hafne's trades - but the Clans didn't need to know.

"You giving me this information and your support is a good start," she said. "But we need to think of some way to break the hold that those like Kinlock have over the opposing clans. Perhaps if we could show them that the Duke is willing to compromise? A public gesture of some kind? Although, we don't want to spark a riot. Is there a way we could discredit Kinlock?"

She clasped her hands anxiously.

"I wish this wasn't mixed up with religion. Milkhaire does seem to have a powerful hold over people, and it's hard to argue with a demon slaying shaman. If only we could conjure up someone with religious importance who might support ourstance. Then we might stand a chance of opposing him!"
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

"The Duke's serious about this compromise? Ye wish to discredit Kinlock and Milkhaire? Then give the Clans what they want, except for a fight." Tavis folded his arms and stared directly at Mairi.

"Milkhaire says that Islay cannae take our ill-use any more, that we must heed the old ways and live in balance with the land. We must hunt only what we need, or the game will grow thin. We must not clear the forests for our farmland, or the earth will turn to dust and wash away with the rains. If we do not keep what grain we have to eat, we will starve before the year is out he says."

"So if the Duke must forgo his profits from our whiskey, then he should do it, or he should use the coin to make sure we have enough supplies to see us through the poor season. We can build some other industry that does not see us always scratching in the dirt for our wealth. He's the the richest man in the Empire - I reckon he can afford it!" The O'Brien man scowled fiercely.

"But why, Mairi, should the Duke and Count tell us what to do just because their forefathers killed a bunch of ours anyway? It's not as though they're the only ones with the brain to know what's good for this country." For the first time, there was a touch of resentment in Tavis' manner. Even though some could acknowledge the benefits of the Duke's rule, the way in which the highlands had been occupied still rankled amongst the Clans.

Mairi Armstrong
Envoy

So if the Duke must forgo his profits from our whiskey, then he should do it, or he should use the coin to make sure we have enough supplies to see us through the poor season

Mairi bit her lip. The Duke was hardly likely to agree to foregoing the whiskey profits when that was his main interest in Islay in the first place. She might be able to persuade him to invest a little more of it back into the place, however - or get him to agree that she could find some other sponsors to donate aid money.

"Aid money I might be able to help ye with," she replied. "But ye'd seriously give up the whiskey trade, when it's been our people's livelihoods for gods know how long?"

She sighed.

"Shouldn't we move on from age old resentments? The point is, we're a lot better off in the Empire than out of it. The clans cannae agree on the smallest thing at the moment - I can't see us being able to rule oursel's while we're bickering in this way. Not to mention the fact that Hafne's in a real mess. Let the Citadel deal with the bureaucracy, it's what they do best," she explained.

"Tavis, would you like to accompany me to the Citadel? Together we might be able to organise some aid money to be sent. We could...hold some sort of event, and invite the wealthy, and tell them what's happening here. We could even ask the Caesar himself for some help - I've spoken to him before," she suggested, suddenly inspired. There were many Dortenese in the Citadel and she felt sure some would be moved enough to donate, perhaps even motivating the Duke to do so himself.

"Meanwhile, do you think it would be constructive to speak to more of your Jura kinsfolk? We need all the supporters we can get if those like Kinlock are spreading malicious views."
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

"I'd rather not give up the trade meself, so we have an accord on that. Bring food and grain tae Islay and we can keep the whiskey runnin'," the hulking Clansman replied to Mairi's first question. Persuading the Clans to unite in support of the Duke's rule was a trickier matter. As Mairi spoke about it, Tavis' expression grew more and more cynical. He stared at her for a long, silent moment when she was done, then put his hands behind his neck and sighed.

"I'll come to the Citadel if ye think it'll help. I'll speak with the Chief and see what we can do to counter Kinclock. But lass, I'll be straight with ye," the O'Brien said bluntly. "There ain't no way in the Nether we can convince the Clans of anythin' with the reasons you just gave me."

"Have ye so little pride in your own folk, Mairi Armstrong? Cannae rule ourselves? Tell me, how is our so-called 'bickering' in the House of Clans any different from your Council debates? You counsel us to let the Citadel deal with the bureaucracy - well, would Erwin let the Caesar 'deal with the bureaucracy' of Dort?"

"How can we move on from the past when the Northmen still treat us as backward savages and conquered people? Don't tell me you accept that judgment - then ye might as well be one of them."

His disappointment showed clearly in his eyes and his voice. He sighed one more time and folded his arms in front of him again.

"You're right about us being better off as part of the Empire. I'll give ye that one," the Tanist finished in a more measured tone. "But I'd keep in mind that Dort is not the same as the Empire. If Islay declares independence and the Imperial Council - what's the word - ratifies that decision... well, have a think about what that would mean for you..."

Mairi Armstrong
Envoy

ooc: sorry for slow posting, was on holiday

ic: "Council debates are not conducted with clubs and swords!" Mairi replied angrily. But somewhere inside she knew he was right - the politicians just stabbed each other in the back, sometimes literally, a different kind of conflict from that of the Clans but just as deadly.

She choked back the lump in her throat as best she could. Tavis was right, of course. Little pride - no pride - no people.

"I...I'm one of you, I mean..."

She trailed off, clenching her fists by her side to steel herself.

"Do you truly believe in an independent Islay? Do you think we could do it on our own? And defeat Dort when they come wanting what they think's theirs?" she asked, the waver banished from her voice at least temporarily. "I don't know what I think anymore. Honestly, Tavis...maybe it would be better to have our own indpendent state. I'm just trying to be a realist here. The Duke won't let us go, not when he's making money from us, and not if it would fragment his island."
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

"Ye'd know the Duke's mind best," Tavis conceded. He mulled over her questions carefully. "They'll be fightin' on our turf. And even with the Islay Brigade on their side, we'd have nearly twice the number of fightin' men. Aye, I think we could hold off Dort if it came to that," he said soberly.

"But it'd be a long and bitter war, lass. And we'd forever have to guard against the Northmen at our borders. Even without the famine, the cost in lives would be... I dinnae care to think about it." He shuddered.

"The way I see it, our best chances of standing up against Dort aren't goin' to be on military terms. The leaves us with a couple of choices. One, we make a claim for independence in the Imperial Council. Not quite sure how that'd work out, but if there were a chance of stealin' the Islay vote away from Erwin... we might find ourselves with a supporter or two. With the right trade negotiations, we might find even more."

"The other choice is to make peace with the North once and for all. Ye've heard all our grievances now, Mairi. I think..." the Tanist hesitated. "If anyone can hope to understand both sides of this mess, it's you. Ye've got the right head to lead us out of it. If ye've the heart and stomach... well then I'm with ye all the way. Jus' tell me what you're gonna do and what you're gonna need."

Mairi Armstrong
Envoy

"Yer right, it would be a very bitter war. I don't want to even contemplate that either," Mairi replied, shivering slightly.

She withdrew into thought for a flicker or two, imagining Erwin's fury if she told him what she was going to do. Imagining his disappointment. But if she succeeded? Maybe it was what Islay needed. Maybe they'd finally be happy.

"We might be able to prepare a political campaign," she said finally. "We'd need to do some leg work in the Citadel - well, I would - and find some powerful supporters. Maybe even the Caesar...it will be hard work, but we could at least try. And if we failed..."

She'd be out of a job and the Duke would probably come down on Islay like a ton of bricks.

"No pain, no gain, right?"
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

"Right."

Tavis let a huge rush of air out of his lungs. He ran a hand through his ginger hair and looked at Mairi with wide eyes, equally in awe of the magnitude of their plans. The lessons he had learned in the rough-and-tumble of Clan politics were coming to him, and he began to consider the potential repercussions of the envoy's decision.

Oh aye, she had the heart, and the stomach too. Having technically volunteered to commit treason, her life would be forfeit if Erwin ever got wind of her intentions before she was good and ready to announce them. It was one thing to speak of rebellion when you were a warrior-chief with armies at your disposal. Quite another when you were a lone woman with only your wits and your tongue to serve you.

"I'll buy ye what time I can," he promised her in all seriousness. Until tensions with Dort settled down, it was all the help he could offer her. "If ye'll keep to your word, I can likely convince the chiefs to stand down. And if we're really lucky..." He smiled wryly. "We'll have an armistice with the North by tomorrow."

Mairi Armstrong
Envoy

Mairi hardly knew what to do next. Her mind was filled with worry; but she had made her decision and she must now stay strong.

"So we can try and get an armistice tomorrow," she said, thinking aloud. "And then I shall return to the Citadel, briefly, and try and gather some support. Trade is a good weapon, I agree - if we play up the benefits of getting involved in whiskey then we might have some interested parties willing to vote against Erwin.

Then we'll have to make the council claim. And then I guess the sooner I get out of the Citadel the better, whichever way it goes."
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

OOC: Just a quick tie over post while Turi is away for her move.

"Watch yer back Mairi." Tavis warned good naturedly. "And make sure you have a way out." He urged her. "The portals are Pecunia's and She's always been in Erwin's pockets. The Mother go with ya lass. You'll need every bit of luck you can get."

Tavis wished there was more help he could give her. His own task of getting the clans to stop fighting was hardly an easy one but Tavis knew he got the easier task by far. "Use my name and the Jura if pressed for who backs you. I'll make it true." He promised.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

locked skilled and archived
Last edited by Turi on Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Dort Archive”