Hunting the Hunter... Hafne, Chyril 22nd late ET

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Craghley swore - the night had been trying in every aspect so far, which included remembering fresh curse-words for each new danger. At least the wounded weren't likely to try and tear his throat out, or spear him like a pig on a spit. He quickly checked the man felled by the Hunter. Blood ran freely from the wound, which was concerning. But at least it wasn't particularly deep - Craghley doubted he'd have the skill to treat that kind of injury, even with the bistort root.
As it was the Achadhiel did his best to wash the wounds and used an agrimonia compress instead of just the usual nettles. That seemed to be about it, for the serious injuries. The work was far from masterful but at the very least it would do until they all got to a decent physician (if such a thing existed in Hafne). He was confident that his collection of medicine and rudimentary knowledge would do well against later infections and fevers. Craghley asked a couple of Leaves to keep an eye on the 'patient', and to tell him if they noticed a change in his condition while he went about looking over the other, less injured Guardsmen.

"Yer a lucky one, you are," he said as a parting remark to the inert Leaf. "Asides from me, you're now the only one here that'll be able to grow a proper beard."
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

"You both speak of wishing to further the Grand Cycle of Tazlure yet bestow the blessings of the Hunt on so small a part of it." The Mother sighed. "Yet you both chose gifts that will only increase your understanding and ability to act and this pleases me."

"Thrandil, if it is truly my way you wish to follow then understand that the animals and all of nature shall never heed your commands. Yet I shall open within you the eyes to see and the ears to hear the nature about you. In time, you shall know the ways of the animals as you know your own ways and the words to gain nature's aid will be on your lips. Beyond that, I place the burden you have asked for upon your shoulders. Where you sow the blood of the Hunt shall become fruitful." The Mother pronounced.

"Draydis, you have ever been true to me and to the lands you hold dear. From within the firm rock of your spirit, a spring of my power shall flow. Pray to me devoutly with clarity of purpose and that spring shall grow into a raging torrent. Learn my ways well and teach those that you find worthy. When you call upon my power, others shall see my mark upon you and know you as my favored. Grow in faith and you shall also grow in speed, power, and cunning.”

“As for the Leaves of the Emerald guard, they too shall share in the visions you have seen and shall hear my voice if they shall listen.” The Mother assured them. “Good Hunting, my children. May your prey be ever worthy of the name.”

---

Craghley had just finished binding the last of the adhiel’s wounds when his eyes were opened. He saw the blood of the Hunt nourish the land and the land in its turn nourish the Hunters and saw his place in the great web of the Mother’s Wyrd. Though he knew it not, all around him the adhiel too shared this vision and felt the touch of the Mother grant them eyes to see and the ears to hear nature at work around them.

Yet of them all, only Craghley heard the Mother speak. “Craghley,” she called, “to you has been given a portion of the power of the Hunt. As the animal knows when to fight on and when to retreat and lick their wounds, so shall you hear your own speak to you of its fitness and ailments. More, you shall know this in others and find your hands guided when called upon to heal them. Grow in faith and you shall not even need your hands to heal, Craghley. Be well, my child.”
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Thrandil
Hunter, Lieutenant Emerald Guard

Post by Thrandil »

OOC: I trust the moderator to delete the past few OOC posts if he/she deems it necessary.

IC:
"Thrandil, if it is truly my way you wish to follow then understand that the animals and all of nature shall never heed your commands. Yet I shall open within you the eyes to see and the ears to hear the nature about you. In time, you shall know the ways of the animals as you know your own ways and the words to gain nature's aid will be on your lips. Beyond that, I place the burden you have asked for upon your shoulders. Where you sow the blood of the Hunt shall become fruitful." The Mother pronounced.

Thran kneeled and bowed his head. "Yes Mother, so I will. Open my eyes and ears, show me all there is to see in nature, but how will the blood of my part of the Hunt become fruitful? Is that yet another thing to be shown when my eyes and ears are opened up? I thank you, Mother, for all you trust me with, but please, do not be taken aback when I say that Pan is my true shepherd. That I have followed him to here and how I think I am part of his plans. I will do as you say, but I will not give up my faith in Pan and strife to become his most valued warrior. Imbued with his strength and fighting skills, combined with what the spoils my part of the Hunt has given me, I will do good and make sure both your ways will be known throughout Tazlure." he said.

He then raised and turned to see if he could find his fellow Guardsmen again.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

None noticed Craghley pause and gawp, as all those around him were doing as well. But did they hear the voice? It brought him to his knees.
His hands dug into the earth and he wept. Something was stirring in his bones and mind, the Wyrd showing itself in a sense that Craghley could not have contemplated beforehand - best described as feeling the web as intimately as a blind man running his hands over his lover's face, but could a blind man understand sight? Could another contemplate feeling the worms squirming under the earth, the sap pumping industriously through the trees, the blood of the Hunter seeping through the earth, congealing like the wounds of the Guardsman, all as though it were ones' own flesh? He turned his face up and watched as his breath went out and floated, up and up, disappearing into the boughs of a sighing tree.
"Oh Mother, You leave me with a heart heavy with joy unsurpassed. You have my unshakeable faith, and I know the lands of this world will be better for Your interventions. Your will be done."

Craghley leaned back from all fours, instead kneeling straight and upright. He closed his eyes and would remain savouring the overwhelming sensation of the Wyrd as long as he was able.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre
Wolf, Commander Emerald Guard

Post by Draydis Quinn D`Anorre »

Draydis listened to every word the Mother spoke, and thought about it for some time before replying to her in his thoughts.

~What do you mean that we have put the blessings of the hunt on so small a part of the Grand cycle of Tazlure? Please show me more, if there is, my Mother.~

Draydis truly wanted to understand all of it.

~If there is more I can do for you or for the world, please let me know.~

He quieted his mind then to allow himself to focus on what the Mother would say...
Raevyn: Serving billions and billions since Sam. 15.

DMD Member since 2005
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Thrandil

"The ritual of the Hunt shall be clear to you when you choose to use it." The Mother assured him. "Claim the Hunter's Horn. When in the center of the greatest blight, issue the challenge and the prey shall come to you. Succeed, and the blood shall water the land and make it fruitful."

"Your loyalty to my son is no disloyalty to me, Warrior of the Blood." The Mother intoned. "Serve us both well."

Craghley

The vision of the web of life stayed before his eyes like the flash of a lghtning bolt still searing his eyes. Only instead of being blinded by light, he saw the world more clearly than ever before. Looking at the wounded adhiel he just treated, Craghley could see the ragged edges of his wound beginning to heal with old flesh dying and new being born. The clarity of sight faded with the presence of the Mother but Craghley was sure it was within himself to call forth that vision again and with time to speed the healing that he can now only watch.

Draydis

"It is true that the power of the Hunt was placed in only one man but that man was tied to the isle of Dort. Through the Hunt his actions nourished all of the isle fed the thousands that lived here. You have split the power from one person into ten. In that way, the power of the Hunt can reach more people. But none of you are tied to the land. None of you have chosen to sink your roots deep into the earth and let the power within you nourish a whole people." The Mother explained but her voice softened.

"That choice is still available to you." She added. "That sacrifice for others can still be made. For now though, your destiny lies elsewhere. Live your life to the full. Spread my word and influence where you will and when the day comes that you find a place you would give your body and soul to nourish, I will be here to awaken that power within you."
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

Thrandil took a look at the Hunter's lifeless body and kneeled aside it. Taking the Horn in his hand, he held it above his head and said "By the words of the Mother and my vows to her Son, I claim this Horn to purify blighted lands across Tazlure. To cleanse them of Evil and draw prey towards me so I can once again make Her lands fruitful."

"I will fight in the name of your Son and honour both you and him in my fight for justice. I will bleed for you, Pan, and when all ends, when my last breath leaves my body, I will die for you. Give me the chance to become your Champion. To rally the Blood to do justice in the world. Give me the chance to find help from them as I fight for you." Thran prayed and held the sword vertically upwards, the flat side of the blade touching his nose, in his mind one side of his body signifying the Mother, and the other signifying Pan.
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Craghley offered two last words of prayer which faded on the wind, disappearing upwards much as the Wyrd departed from his mind and body.

"Thank you..."

The last vestiges of the vision were gone, the change within Craghley setting like clay in a kiln. For some reason although he had been aware of the pain in his arm it had been irrelevant before... in light of everything else opening up around him... and now it struck again. Craghley gritted his teeth and grunted as he tried to flex the arm. Lucky that he'd had enough strength altogether when his blade had met the shaft of the Hunter's spear.

Unable to see the full extent of the damage he pondered moving to the fire to use the light, but instead made his way over to the body of their fallen quarry. He stood silently by as Thrandil and Draydis stayed in prayer.
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

~I understand, my Mother. Thank you for your words. I know what I need to do, and I will strive to always honor you.~

A temple to the Mother would be built. From there, Draydis could train others, he could build his unit of holy warriors, the poor and defenseless could seek shelter, and the hunt would have a land that it would protect and serve. He knew that this place was not proper, but in time, the Mother would reveal it to him.

The horn was claimed by Thrandil. It was appropriate for it would be used to call the animals of the world to him. The spear was claimed by Craghley. It would serve the healer well, as it would allow him to fight in combat, while also keeping his enemies at a distance so the healer would always be able to survive the fight.

That left the armor. Draydis was a warrior, and armor was a necessary tool of that trade. The Hunter's armor would need to be repaired and fitted for his much smaller body, but Draydis would wear it with honor.

With that, Dray began to remove his opponent's armor. Once complete, he looked upon the Hunter. "This is a noble creature. He deserves a burial, along with his wolves, that gives him the respect that is due to the Hunt."

The words were spoken as the adhiel looked at the body. This night would continue to be one of ceremony and honor. "Many have fallen under the weapons of the Hunter. Tonight we honor the past, the present, and the future. We honor the Hunter. We honor his victims. We honor the Mother and Pan and the gods of light. We honor our duty to those that we will aid in the future. We honor our brotherhood that has now been forged in blood and faith."

DMD Member since 2005
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

Thrandil

Pan was not a talkative god. Thrandil felt the heat of his blood warm his body in the night. Even after this night of exertion, Thrandil felt he could ran forever and catch his prey be it for food or for satisfying other hungers. His god was with him and he was pleased.

All

No one denied Draydis's right to the armor. It was a curious thing of hides, layers and layers of different colored leathers stitched to each other. Draydis would expect an armor of such thickness to be stiff but it bent as easily as a single piece of leather. He could see where arrows and blades had pierced it but never through the whole to reach the Hunter beneath.

The Leaves nodded with respect at the instruction for burial. Spears and blades were not the best of tools for such work, but it would be the first time warriors had to make do to bury the fallen. The graves were shallow but the Hunter and his pack would nourish the land instead of scavengers this night.
[size=100]

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Draydis Quinn D`Anorre

Draydis took a few moments to make certain he had all the parts of the Hunter's armor. He then wrapped it up in his blanket so he could keep it protected and carry it easier.

Eventually, the guardsman would wear the armor, but first, he wanted to have time to pray over it and have the Mother bless it for him.

Digging the graves was tedious work, as nobody had a shovel. They made do with what they had, and after each of the bodies were placed in their graves, the commander took a few moments to pray over each of them; asking the Mother to allow them to join with Her in the cycle of life and help them to find the peace that they did not have while living in Tazlure.

Once completed, he looked to the others.

"Our mission is done in these lands. Tomorrow brings another mission. For now, we have earned a time of celebration and rest. Your time is free to do as you please. It was an honor to fight alongside each of you."

Draydis would spend the rest of the night in prayer with the Mother. He would ask Her to bestow her blessings upon his armor, and he would ask Her to give him clarity in thought so they could move on to a new place where they would be needed.

He knew that the morning would bring many answers...

ooc: I'm done now if everybody else is.

DMD Member since 2005
Thrandil

Post by Thrandil »

OOC: Done
Craghley

Post by Craghley »

Done.
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

Nice job lads. Mighty skilled ye be.

Locked, archived.
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Avatar by enayla at allavatars.com[/size]

Return to “Dort Archive”