In Search of an Alchemist [MT Chyril 25th]

Moderators: Vanadius, Mods

In Search of an Alchemist [MT Chyril 25th]

Post by Guest »

Dort!

It was Amelia Decht's favorite place in the world ... not that she had much to compare it to. But this was the first time she'd been here completely on her own -- with only her wits, her luck, and the money in her pocket. Somehow, that just made it better; she'd been grinning since she got back, staring wide-eyed at everything as if the city was brand new and all for her.

And it is, too, she thought, if the lady allows it. Wandering with no particular aim around the city, the girl found her fingers slipping into her pouch, taking out one of the coins and rubbing it between her palms. "Please help me, golden goddess," she mumbled, focusing for a moment on the coin, and trying to imagine endless mounds of others just like it stretched out before her. Any path I pick will be the right one, she thought. I just need to follow it until it takes me where I need to go ...

Opening her hand, Amelia peered down at the coin, frowned in thought for a moment. It was time to stop gawking and get on with things. No more sitting around a stuffy trading house, running errands for her uncle. She was going to become an alchemist! There had to be one somewhere, who ... needs errands run, she admitted privately. But the gloom passes quickly, replaced by excitement. Dort! Everything's better here! She slid the coin back into her pouch, patted it into place. A small smirk curved her lips.

"If I were an alchemist, where would I be?" Rocking gently on the balls of her feet, she peered up and down the road, taking stock. Somewhere on the docks? She took a sniff of the air; yes, her wanderings had led her toward Watertown. "Bosh," she muttered. "What good does that do me?" True, there could be an alchemist working around the harbor, but wouldn't she rather associate with someone who at least had a stall bought and paid for?

At that moment, her stomach began to growl. Had it really been that long since she'd eaten? She was almost sure she knew where Market Square stood; she could find something for breakfast there, then start picking through the crowds of merchants. After all, that's where Pecunia's statue is! she thought. What better place to find luck than in Her sight?

So thinking, Amelia started to journey in that direction, weaving through the crowds, avoiding any knots of workers, and doing her best to dodge the most ominous alleys. Her eyes were peeled, but with something other than just the wonder she felt before. After all, she had helped herself to more than a little pocket money here on idle days ... other people's pocket money. If she was going to keep her luck, she needed at least one coin to pray on -- she could find the rest of her fortune as she went!

What does a real alchemist look like? she wondered idly, now walking, now skipping. Let's see ...
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

In the middle of the square, amidst the beautiful cascading waterfalls of the Aquaduct, the towering statue of Pecunia gleamed in the sunlight, smiling benevolently upon the hustle and bustle below. Today a couple of gulls were perched next to the great golden swift on the statue's shoulder, brought inland from the harbour by a light sea breeze which ran through the stalls, making their brightly coloured banners flap around gaily.

Meanwhile, all around Amelia, small businesses and shops displayed their goods outside in an inviting show to attract customers. The owners exclaimed their superiority proudly in a never-ending stream of catch-cries. Two Banner Two Banner Trout Roughie Mackerel Get Em While They're Fresh Blood Orange Five Banner Exotic Fruit From The Western Kingdom Annalee's Cake N Bake Hot Pies N Muffins Open All Day Muchislie Silk Six Banner For A Bolt One Mark Only!

As she wended her way through all this heady commerce, one narrow shopfront on the edge of the Tapestry Quarter caught her eye. Unlike most of the surrounding buildings it was a sober little place, built of dark weathered stone. Its window shutters were pulled halfway down to let some light in, but obscure most of the view inside.

Swinging above the front door was a polished wooden sign in engraved gothic script which simply read: Maximillian Sedge: Apothecary.
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Avatar by enayla at allavatars.com[/size]

Post by Guest »

Amelia paused beneath the statue of Pecunia, favoring the goddess with a beaming smile of thanks before she continued on through the Market Square. It sure is a nice day, she thought. Perfect for welcoming me back to town … and the gentle touch of the sea breeze more than made up for all the shouting around her, though she half admired all the determined merchants, too. Her head whipped about with interest as she walked, distracted by all the possibilities for a light meal. No good buying food on an empty stomach, she mused. Everything sounds so good!

She would have stopped for an orange, at least, but something told her she was not far from realizing her goal. Her uncle had always said that a little hunger helped a body to work harder, and though she wasn’t inclined to test this out with her own stomach, now seemed the best chance she had ever got. So, Amelia pressed on to examine the shops, checking out every sign she was unfamiliar with. Certainly, it wouldn’t be hard to find an alchemist, would it? Like anyone else who had a product to sell, they couldn’t hide.

It wasn’t long before Amelia found the door of Maximilian Sedge: Apothecary. It seemed lucky enough to her: the polished sign seemed to say Welcome! while the squat, stone construction of the building said I am here to last! … though, the location and shutters just might say Go away and bother someone else! She could imagine Maximilian Sedge hustling about inside, doing this and that mysterious thing that wasn’t very mysterious after all, when you knew anything about it. Perhaps he had a pointy beard and a laboratory with all kinds of flasks and beakers and such.

It sounded like fun to her. All she had to do was persuade him that her book learning, attended by her willingness (sometimes bordering on desperation!) to put it into practice, would benefit him. In hindsight, she really should’ve listened more closely to her mother’s speeches on which herbs do what … but the mere thought of the little village she left behind made her shudder, for more than one reason. I’m not getting anywhere standing out here and thinking about it! she chided herself. There’s an orange and an apprenticeship waiting!

She entered carefully, closing the door behind her so as not to disturb Mr. Sedge if he was in the midst of transmuting one explosive thing into another. For a while, if she went unnoticed, she would just examine the shop, looking about at its workings and trying to identify what some of its wares might be used for, though she probably wouldn’t have much success. Anything she could think of that might endear her or make her useful to Maximilian Sedge would be better than nothing at all.

Plucking up her courage, she would approach him after a moment (assuming he was there, and did not look upset or appear to be in flames) and strike up the conversation in a most simple way: “Excuse me, sir, are you Mr. Sedge?” Here’s hoping he isn’t Professor Sedge or His Holiness Sedge, or anything else of the kind. If he was, maybe there was an apothecary down the street she could check!
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

The door swung shut and a fusty odour filled Amelia's nostrils. Standing space was in scarce supply for customers entering the apothecary's shop - there was only a narrow strip running along the length of the room, about four paces wide between the wall and the front of the counter. Jars and bottles made of clay and glass cluttered the display shelves on the wall, filled with odd-smelling products and promises, ranging from the practical Flea-Be-Gonne to the dubious Gottfried's Hair Regrower: Results May Vary to the plain intriguing Goat Ointment.

The space behind the counter was no less restricted, although it was filled instead with sacks and boxes and jars of raw ingredients. These were mostly herbs and seeds, with a few rocks and minerals and some dried animal products. A set of heavy brass scales sat on the counter with counterweights stacked neatly beside it. There was also a space for the preparation of simple medicines, bearing the usual tools of the apothecary's trade such as mixing bowls, a pitcher of water and a stone mortar and pestle. It looked more like a kitchen bench than an arcane laboratory.

Sedge himself was not particularly arcane either - he was a dapper old halfling dressed in a tidy green waistcoat. His head would have been as bald as an egg, but for his impressively groomed, curling grey moustaches. He was rooting through sacks when Amelia walked in, but looked up to greet her immediately.

"Now where did I put that confounded bistort root... ah, good day to you young lady! Yes, I am Maximillian Sedge. Can I help you with anything?"

There must have been some sort of platform behind the counter, for he stood high enough to look at Amelia in the eye.
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Post by Guest »

Amelia had rarely seen halflings before, though she knew what they were, and had read enough to get some very basic ideas what they were like. Nothing she knew explained what this fellow was doing here; halflings tended to enjoy the easy life in their holes, didn’t they? But her smile grew a little bit wider, nonetheless. She was intrigued by the other races, and charmed by Mr. Sedge already, though it wouldn’t do to get comfortable already! There must be a reason I found him, time to figure out what it is!

“Oh! A pleasure to meet you, sir. My name’s Amelia,” she said, bobbing her head slightly in respect since there was no room to bow. She went into her explanation, letting it fall into place however it might. “Well, perhaps. You see, I’ve come to town hoping to learn more about alchemy,” she explained. “I read all about it when I was younger, but there weren’t any alchemists or any real apothecaries in my village, actually, and, well, most folks didn’t look kindly on me always thinking about stuff I’d never get to even try unless I left and come to Dort … so I did, and here I am.”

Slowing down, she makes herself concentrate, her narrative becoming a bit more focused. “I saw your shop and I thought for sure you’d be able to help. Whatever you need, I’ll do my best, and I won’t ask much in return but to learn. I used to work for my uncle’s trading house by the docks, so I’m used to long hours, and I bet I could help you sell even more of your products than you do already. And my mother was a healer, so I’m not totally lost with plants …” Though the exact truth is, she’d only know the properties of ones she’d read about in books on alchemy, and didn’t know much by sight.

“I’m really searching for a chance to put into practice all I know, and … well, be useful,” she admits by way of conclusion, a little sheepishly. Is that really all this boils down to? she wonders; she knows the answer is yes, but actually admitting it is strange. Beaming at Mr. Sedge, she has no idea if he’s about to welcome her or toss her out on the street (though that seems like it would require at least three halflings) but she’s not about to give up, either way. “So, might you be interested?”
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

"Oh, certainly, certainly!"

Amelia couldn't actually see the halfling's mouth as he spoke, only two great swirls of waxen hair bobbing up and down. His eyes crinkled and the moustache rose a little, as a gratified smile spread out underneath it.

"I could use a some help around here these days - my eyes aren't what they used to be I'm afraid - but first, my dear, you will need to be clear on what you are getting into. There are alchemists, and there are alchemists. Some, such as myself, work in the fields of medicine and healing but there are others," Sedge explained, "who pursue the art in more, ah, industrial applications."

"I've not much use for the transmutation of metals myself." He shrugged. "Or for the uses of saltpetre and so forth. But I understand if a young person such as yourself has an interest in such things. I would be pleased to refer you to a colleague, if that is the case? You can take as much time as you wish to consider your choices."

Post by Guest »

Amelia’s eyes lit up the moment she realized that she was not going to be tossed out, or even politely waved away. All this time wondering about alchemy, and all she really needed to do was walk down to the apothecary and just ask. That might be a discouraging thought for some, but she was too excited to fret about it. She listened carefully to Sedge’s explanation, nodding a bit as she took it in. For the first time, her enthusiasm was tempered by something a little more practical.

“I see,” she murmured thoughtfully, placing a finger on her chin as she considered. Visions of brilliant explosions and base metals turning into gold danced in her head, threatening to carry her away. After all, it seemed to her that minerals, not plants, were most likely to turn a profit somehow. No doubt the indecision played across her face as she considered. Maybe if I go along with this colleague of his, I won’t be stuck in such a stuffy place as this all the time …

But it wasn’t at simple as that. She had come with the intention of turning alchemy toward the healing arts … and she had reasons for it at least as important to her as money. The idea of being distracted so quickly from her goal rankled her. Unbidden, one of the many little sayings of her village intruded on her thoughts: If you chase two rabbits, you will lose them both. How all of that so-called wisdom had bothered her. There seemed to be a saying for everything! But now …

“Well now,” Amelia said brightly, no sign in her voice of all the mental heavy lifting she was doing. “It’s so kind of you to help, Mr. Sedge, and I think my decision is clear. Even if your colleague was half as welcoming, I’ve got a lot to learn yet, and I’d rather not risk putting great big holes in the landscape.” She grinned a bit. “What you do is much more helpful to people, I’d say. But maybe I should think about it over breakfast and come back in a mark or two.”

For her part, it was a good balance between her desire to get right down to work and his hint that she should take her time. She hadn’t missed it, eager though she was. Even among humans, most people took things more slowly than she, and she didn’t want to seem rash or pushy. Besides, her stomach was in full revolt by now, and it wouldn’t do to skip breakfast before her first day on the job.
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

"You have not eaten this morningtide? Tut!" The old halfling clucked his tongue at Amelia in a stern but kind manner. "Then you must run along at once and feed yourself, young lady. Good, nourishing food is better than a great many medicines for the preservation of one's good health. This is the first lesson I will teach you," he said to her with a twinkle in his eye.

"Should you choose to return for more, your rates for working at the shop will be fifteen lance a week until you have shown enough skill that I am satisfied you can practice on your own. Oh, and one more thing... will you stop by at the library before your return? I have commissioned a work to be published by one of the scribes there," Maximillian puffed up a little as he made this announcement, clearly very proud of this achievement. "A treatise on medicinal herbology, as it were... and I would very much like to know how it is progressing. Will you find out for me please?"
Last edited by Turi on Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Amelia had the sense to look slightly abashed at the halfling’s first declaration, though he seemed too good-natured for her to take it harshly. Fifteen lance a week didn’t sound like much, but she was used to working for room and board, with the tolerance of the locals sometimes included and sometimes not. Judging from his enthusiasm, she thought, maybe he cooks! That alone would be worth a little trouble, wouldn’t it? Who knew what kind of great surprises the other races had?

Then the subject turned to Mr. Sedge’s book. “Oh, sure! I’ll ask after it for you!” She nodded enthusiastically; the value of books was definitely something she could agree with. “I’ll head over there first thing …” A pause as she realized what she said. “… just as soon as I’ve had something to eat.” She grinned widely, caught in her own eagerness this time. “If that's all, Mr. Sedge, I’ll be off!” She gave a little wave and worked her way back down the aisle and through the door (unless stopped for any reason, of course.)

As soon as she was through the door, she took a deep, grateful breath. Hands on her knees, she let herself practically double over as she made her way to the curb, filling her lungs. The smell in that shop would take a while to get used to, for sure! After a moment to herself, she bounced back up and started off on her way, heedless to any confusion she caused bystanders, and whistling as she went. She’d see about the book first, then think about food; proving she’s worth more than fifteen lance a week was scads more important than getting something to eat …
Tristam

Post by Tristam »

OOC: Dropping in to tie over for Turi while she is moving.

The smells of roasting fish, fresh fruits and other tasties tempted Amelia from all sides as she made her way across the market square. Her destination was quite easy to find. The Library of Dort was housed within Castle Von Beersel in the public tower of the Duke's grand residence. His Grace believed that the way forward for his isle was knowledge and the citizens of Dort were encouraged to come and learn what they could.

At least that was the theory. In practice, the library was mainly used by scholars and those students in the public school hoping to be scholars. The crowds of the market thinned out as Amelia approached the older and wealthier area of Dort around the Castle. The people were dressed finer and finer with a few people like herself mixed in among the wealthy merchants and minor nobility. The air was clear of the smells of cooking and industry and instead was scented by perfumes and pomades.

At last Amelia came to Castle Von Beersel. Its three great towers of Dort's dark stone rose up above the rest of Dort. Colored banners with the Duke's crest fluttered proudly in the wind. Members of the Sunfire Brigade stood watch at the end of the drawbridge and gazed idly over the various people with business in the Castle. Across the moat lay the two paths that led to the governmental tower and the public tower.
[size=100]
Donald heard a mermaid sing, Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known, I've had to make myself.

Shel Silverstein[/size]
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

archived due to player inactivity

Return to “Dort Archive”