in search of a place to rest a weary head (26 ch gt)

Moderators: Vanadius, Guido Cercatoro, Mods

Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

in search of a place to rest a weary head (26 ch gt)

Post by Raevyn D`Altamooriana »

The day had been long. It was taxing on the nerves and like all things whether they be good or bad, this one was coming to an end. The aspiring priestess was glad for that. There was still one necessity that she needed however, Raevyn needed a place to sleep. She could've slept with the rest of course, but decided against that. Raevyn thought that it would be rather risky for her to sleep with the rest of the people she arrived with this night. Tempers could still be flaring and perhaps when the dawn next came, tempers would have cooled off and calmer heads prevailed.

That was one reason Raevyn decided to sleep in town. It was going to be damn well cold out it seemed this night and for who knew how many of the next. She also didn't know when she would have the comfort of sleeping indoors in the foreseeable future. The adhiel was going to make certain that at least one night in this new land she could sleep comfortably, and out of the elements.

Suddenly the comforts of the Citadel seemed all the more appealing to her. Yet it was a comfort she knew she wouldn't be able to have any time soon. Besides, she was here now, and she wasn't going back through another one of those blasted portals any time soon. The small inconveniences now would probably be well worth it in the long run.

Raevyn had wandered into town and with a bit of luck, and directions from the locals she was able to locate the inn that would serve as her home, even if for only one night. Fate was a funny and there was no telling where she would be laying her head this time tomorrow.

After hurrying in from the night's chill Raevyn quickly went to whom she presumed was the innkeeper to get a room for the night. Although money wasn't an object for the Guardswoman, she didn't want to appear as though she had alot of money. Not here, not in this new land where the only people she knew were very pissed at her. When she reached the innkeeper she would ask if he had what she needed available.
The fiddler fiddled his violin which smelled horribly like fresh afterbirth boiled in cabbage.

© Marta @ www.marta-dahlig.com
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

Nether's Gate stands just across the way from the Provost Office, and is near enough to the portal and large enough compared with the other, scant dwellings to dominate the newly formed and mutable skyline somewhat. Though only a mere three stories tall this is more than enough to dwarf the other buildings in it's shadow, and it is wider and more strongly built than many of the surrounding homes - built along similar lines to the Provost Office itself in choosing practicality over aesthetic appearance. Two large firepots sit either side of the wide door, and lit at night create a welcoming glow to tempt passersby into the interior.

Inside the shabby tavern is surprisingly clean and well lit, the floor strewn with clean straw among the polished but worn wooden tables and chairs. There is a long, wooden bar that dominates one wall of the place, though it is the most basic of things and is as practical and wooden as most of the rest of the place.

Beyond the main room, the 'Gate, as it's fondly known by much of the Pax Honestus, hosts a number of more intimate delights than mere beverages can provide. For not only is Nether's Gate a tavern, entertainment hall and gathering place for all, it also serves as brothel. Upstairs one could hear the sound of giggling and running feet. The girls of the Nether's Gate knew how to please a man, and keep his mind off the rough daily life of Pax.

Despite the late hour, the Gate tavern was still relatively full. As usual, many of the patrons were members of the local legion using their off-duty time to participate in a combination of drinking, singing and the delights of the women of the tavern. In one corner of the room sat a group of three soldiers, one of whom Raevyn recognised as the very Sergeant who had ordered the adheil to set down her bow during the disturbance at the portal. The sergeant was laughing with his companions and took no notice of the new arrival.

At a table in another corner slouched a large, red-faced man, mopping his perspiring face with a white cloth. As he deposited the cloth back in a pocket, his belly heaved and folds of flesh rippled across his body almost oozing over the table. Sitting opposite the bloated man was a small, angular faced gnome with a worried look on his face. Leaning against a wall to one side of the large man was a tall, bearded man attired in a rough black jerkin and knee high boots. The man cast a cold, serpent-like eye in the direction of the adheil as she moved across the room.

It was a mere flicker after Raevyn had arrived at the bar when a cheerful, redheaded woman bounced into view and quickly confirmed that a room was available. “Room is free. Clean and plain, you won’t find any better in town. The charge is four banners a night but drops to three if you pay in advance for two nights or more. If you stay for the full week, we will do your laundry and throw in a bath for free as well. And, of course, we always offer an ale on the house on your first night. Would you like to take the room?”

“Oh, by the way, I’m Melissa. Melissa LaRouge. For my sins, I own this place.”
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

"I need a room," Raevyn answered while her eyes took in her surroundings of the establishment. "One that is private if you have it," she then continued making sure to use her best common. "I do not know how lon I will be staying, or if they will be on nights that follow each other," Raevyn then added.

Upon spotting the group of men, one of which Raevyn remembered from earlier, she reached into her purse to pull out enough coin to pay for two weeks worth of nights. The adhiel then pulled out a few more coins and gave Melissa a few requests.

"A round of drinks for the Sargeant and his men. Also I want no visitors ever unless they are with me. Any other time I would see no visitors unless I am made aware of who they are and what their business with me is. I am certain that can be arranged Melissa."

The assassin waited for her response.
The fiddler fiddled his violin which smelled horribly like fresh afterbirth boiled in cabbage.

Keaira Morgandy
Tazlure Supporter

Post by Keaira Morgandy »

"I'm afraid all our rooms are side by side, but I can give you one of the rooms on the far end. I don't believe anyone's staying on the one side of it, so that's the best I can do for now." Melissa smiled in an accommodating manner, though her eyebrows raised with obvious interest when she spied the substantial coin Raevyn withdrew from her purse. Well now, better make this one comfortable!

After Raevyn named her stipulations for visitors, Melissa smiled dimly, her bubbly demeanor unchanged. "So you would like a room and a secretary? That can be arranged easily enough, for a small fee," she added with a slight nod. "Drinks for the sergeant and his men'll be 16 banner. Room's four, and I'll regulate your visitors for...three more."

"That's not what we agreed to, is it??" The words were accented with heavy breathing, but Raevyn's ears -- sensitive to both danger and sound -- easily heard the threatening tone in the overly large man's slightly elevated voice. The gnome sitting across from him cowered in his seat, looking distressed and trying fruitlessly to fumble out a response. The man did not relent, the folds of flesh on his body rippling from his effort. "I suggest you find a way to pay me what is due, before I become impatient and decide to take it from you. Now get out."

The gnome didn't hesitate, fleeing the scene almost immediately. The bearded man continued to watch Raevyn carefully. Obviously, he was guarding the fat one, who was now breathing heavily and trying laboriously to pick up his tankard and bring it to his mouth.

"Is that acceptable?" Melissa was looking at Raevyn with raised eyebrows, and features that told the Dark Adhiel that the woman before her remained blissfully unaware of the incident. Or perhaps she was simply ignoring it.
[size=75]'All things truly wicked start from an innocence.'
-- [i]Ernest Hemingway[/i][/size]
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

Was that acceptable? Nether no that wasn't acceptable, not to Raevyn at least. She had always been one to do things on her conditions, not vice versa. If Melissa thought she would be the first, she was wrong. After giving the woman a shrewd glance, Raevyn was about to let her know her disagreement when the large man began his outburst.

It caught her attention immediately and she looked over in that general direction to see what the disturbance was about. From what the adhiel gathered at first was that the little fella was in debt to the obese man. A gentleman he couldn't have been. Raevyn then met the eyes of the bearded man that stood beside him.

Interesting...

The plight of the gnome bared little if anything at all on the conscious of the assassin. She was more intrigued by the rotund figure that sat at the table. Finding out who he was and what he did where the first thoughts that came to Raevyn's mind. It was clearly evident that he was a bully of sorts, which was a point in his favor, Raevyn did the very same thing, just differently.

An ally or an obstacle...

She wasn't sure which and the only way to find that out was to ask Melissa about him, which in turn, brought her attention back to her. Originally Raevyn wasn't going to agree to the price as Melissa had stated, but information was very important to have. Especially considering the plans Raevyn had for being in Pax from the start. Sure, Ulder's cause gave her an excuse to come to Pax. But her motives, above all else came first.

"I will pay for two weeks stay at three banner a night," Raevyn finally answered now that she returned to the business that was currently on hand. "Your services to me, are worth two more banner." Raevyn paused briefly. "The information I may require of you, well, that could be worth more, depending on how useful it is." Raevyn then gave her a look that could only be described as one that meant one thing, don't cross me if you know what's good for you.

Which, to be honest, was exactly how the aspiring priestess felt right now. She had a long day, that included being hurled through the gods know what via portal to get here, a trial, and later on a falling out with one of what she considered to be her best friends. The end of the day couldn't come soon enough for the young adhiel, but somehow that didn't seem to be too likely.
Last edited by Raevyn D`Altamooriana on Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keaira Morgandy
Tazlure Supporter

The bearded man shifted almost imperceptibly nearer to the fat one -- whom had successfully brought the tankard to his lips -- as Raevyn turned to look his way. Ale dribbled down his many chins as he drank, but few else in the establishment noticed him (save for the occasional drunk staring in blatant awe of the ripples of flesh dancing over his belly). In fact, some almost seemed to be doing their best not to notice him.

One of Melissa's slender red eyebrows plucked itself upward slightly when the Dark Adhiel shot back with a counter-offer, though the twinkle in her eye remained firmly in place. Mel was a business woman through and through, and it was rare for anyone to try and barter with her. The woman's gaze shot momentarily to the large man toward whom Raevyn had glanced. She wants to know about Morton? Melissa had dealt with her share of "unsavory types," and part of her wondered if Raevyn was one of these. Not that it matters!

The dangerous look given to Melissa was returned only with a wide smile and a carefree laugh, as if the redheaded woman didn't quite understand just who she was dealing with. Indeed her friendliness toward the Dark Adhiel didn't diminish one bit when she responded.

"Well then, you certainly drive a hard bargain! I admire that." A flicker more she seemed to consider Raevyn, then she nodded. "Agreed. Now, what sort of information are you looking for?"
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

"None for the moment," Raevyn answered while keeping her focus mainly on the goings on around her. It was nothing for the aspiring priestess to answer blankly, she had done it enough times in the past. "However," the adhiel paused, "you can start by showing me to my room."

This wasn't the place to discuss things. That much Raevyn knew. If there was information that the assassin could pry from Melissa it would have to be in the privacy of her own room. That way prying ears couldn't hear and spying eyes couldn't see.

Keaira Morgandy
Tazlure Supporter

Melissa nodded agreeably, turning quickly to catch a young, blond-headed girl by the arm. "Rosie, keep an eye on things, will you? I'll be back in a few burns." The girl shot a look at Raevyn before nodding quickly and moving away with a bit more speed than before. Melissa chuckled lightly.

"All right then, please follow me!" With another carefree smile Melissa turned her back to the woman and walked at a steady pace to the stairs, guessing (probably correctly) that the Dark Adhiel wasn't the type to be kept waiting. Up she went, the sounds of the goings-on downstairs dying off as they ascended. Other sounds soon met Raevyn's ears, however: soft giggles, steady thumpa-thumps against the walls, snoring here and there. Melissa grinned.

"Don't worry, I make 'em all get quiet in the later marks," she reassured Raevyn, ere pausing at the last room on the left. "Here we are," she said with a smile, opening the door for the woman and waiting for her to enter.

The inside of the room was as simple as the rest of the establishment: the walls and floor were wooden, the floor covered with a layer of clean straw. The bed was simple, well-made, and big enough for two (very snuggly) people. A small table with two drawers sat to its side, two candles with bases sitting upon it, and a wooden chair occupied a corner. The room was hardly good for more than sleeping, and would hold only three, perhaps four people before it was uncomfortable -- but it was quaint, and well-priced.
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

It wasn't as nice as some of the places that she had stay in before, but it would do. Perhaps this was the best that Pax had to offer. Beggars couldn't be choosers though Raevyn thought as she plopped herself down onto the bed. Had she not been so tired she probably would've been more graceful about it. Right now though, the assassin could care less.

Raevyn took a moment to take of her boots that at the moment felt like they weighed more than usual. Once her feet were free she took a moment to simply wiggle her toes. It felt good to do that every once in awhile. Then she looked up at Melissa.

"Very well then," she said as she looked around the room some more. "If you could be so kind as to close the door we shall begin," Raevyn said abruptly. Now that she could at least rest her tired body, the adhiel would be able to talk business with a little more ease.

Guido Cercatoro

The red-head looked uncertain for a flicker but then shrugged and closed the door. She crossed her arms and remained standing, looking intently at the Dark Adhiel as if still appraising the newcomer. When Melissa spoke, it was in a business-like tone.

“Very well, then. What is this information you require?”
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

Raevyn was straight to the point as well. For she saw a town ripe for the picking. Information was power, and this girl could possibly be they key that Raevyn needed.

"I want to know of this place," Raevyn replied. "I want to know the history, I want to know who is who, like the gentleman downstairs for example. He is obviously someone of small importance to this town. I would like to mayhaps meet him in the near future."

There was more that Raevyn wanted to know. After all she was also here on a crusade of sorts. Ulder had brought her here and she was going to live up to her end of the deal and help him out whether he wanted her help or not.

"More importantly though, this place...." Her words trailed off as she stood up momentarily. "There is something wrong... I can feel it almost." Raevyn then turned to Melissa. "It is something strange, something dangerous." Her voice took an almost solemn tone.

The little gnome popped into her mind as her thoughts whirled about her head. He too was something that had at least piqued the aspiring dark priestess' interest.

"The gnome," Raevyn said. Her common language was getting better but she still found herself sometimes searching for the correct words or phrases to use. "What kind of trouble is he in, maybe I could help the poor fellow."

This of course was a ruse. Raevyn wanted to for the moment portray the image of a warm, kind, caring person, despite the fact that she was a dark adhiel. The more people thought of her as a benevolent person. The easier it would be for her later on.

"Yes I would like to help him."

Guido Cercatoro

Melissa grinned as Raevyn listed her questions. “You certainly intend to make me earn my banners,” she said ruefully.

“Well, I will begin with the fat bastard downstairs. Morton Wanesman is his name. He likes to hold court in the tavern although he is by all accounts building some new office in the town now he is a member of the Council.” The red-head paused before continuing slowly. “There are…rumours…he is involved in activities which are not altogether legal but there is no proof. It is said he helped smuggle pagans out of the Mouth. Not through altruism but for money. He became rich in the process and has lent some of this to a few people to help them start up businesses. And that makes them beholden to him, of course.”

“I suspect that the gnome whom you saw owes Morton money and the slob now wants to collect it. If you want to speak to the poor fellow, he often drinks in the Father’s Grace tavern, as do most of the gnomes here. He’s called Jermaine and he’s a relative of the owner of the tavern, Jake.”

"More importantly though, this place...." Her words trailed off as she stood up momentarily. "There is something wrong... I can feel it almost." Raevyn then turned to Melissa. "It is something strange, something dangerous." Her voice took an almost solemn tone.

The woman frowned. “There are many strange things in this town, the walls…the wolves..the buildings..it is difficult to know where to start. Perhaps the best thing is to tell you and tale of what transpired in this tavern.” Melissa recounted the strange tale of Torc, Angelo and Ranna…

(OOC: you can assume that Melissa tells you the main details of this thread)
Guido Cercatoro

(OOC: Rae do you wish to continue here or wind this up with a final post given your likely later visit to melisssa?"
Raevyn D`Altamooriana
Mercenary

Raevyn listened intently as the young woman went on to tell her about the recent goings on. Raevyn also paid attention to how she told the story as well. The assassin looked for any signs that would lead her to believe that what the woman was made up or in fact truth. When she was done Raevyn politely thanked her for her information.

"You have been very helpful," the adhiel told her. "I will give you this now for what you have told me this evening." Raevyn reached down into her purse and pulled out a few banner which she then handed to Melissa. "I do not know when I will need your services again, however when I do I assume here is the place that I can find you."

Raevyn didn't wait for an answer really. She gave Melissa her her leave. Once Melissa left, Raevyn locked the door and went to the bed that would serve as her resting place for the night. The priestess' body ached for a long peaceful night of slumber and she was more than willing to call it a night.

Sleep would come quick this night Raevyn found out. It seemed like as soon as her head hit the pillow and blankets covered her, she was out. Her mind which usually kept her awake thinking about this or that went black. Chances are Raevyn wouldn't wake until the sun's rays would cover the village of Pax Balthasar once more with it's luminescent glory.

Guido Cercatoro

With a grin, Melissa took the coins and departed.

Raevyn had a peaceful sleep. Yet, when she awoke she could not escape the nagging feeling that there was something in her dreams...something she could not recall.....perhaps, something to do with birdsong? But it was gone, probably just a simple dream...

(OOC: finished and locked for you know what)
Turi
Special Branch

Post by Turi »

skilled, summarised, archived
[size=75][i][b]"If it were clear in my mind, I should have no incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood; we write in order to understand." -C. Day-Lewis[/b][/i]

Avatar by enayla at allavatars.com[/size]

Return to “The Baron Estates Archives”