The Goose and Gander [Chyril 27th, TT]

Moderator: Mods

Matthew
Civus

The Goose and Gander [Chyril 27th, TT]

Post by Matthew »

The Goose and Gander is a clean and quaint tavern which sits on the north side of town. The Gander seems to attract a more highborn clientele. Visiting nobility, well-to-do merchants, and other respectable people take their lodgings here when they are guesting in Roque. It is a peaceful place, well patrolled by guards. The rooms each contain a lockable chest, a table and two chairs, a comfortable bed, and a solid, locking door.

The Inn's large common room is cheerful and usually smells of food and lye soap. The darker wood tones of its original décor can still be seen in the long oaken bar and round tables, but the walls are now covered by dark red tapestries embroidered in gold thread. Servers thread there way past the tables as they bring customers their orders. To the back is a large bath area and steam room where travelers can wash and steam the dirt of the road from their tired bodies. A small stage is tucked into the corner for entertainers, the bar and its tender lie directly opposite the doorway. A staircase leading to the rooms upstairs sits next to the doorway. Its mahogany banister has been painted white and gold cording threads around it in a spiral.

Nestled at a little table in the corner of the common room, a young monk fidgeted nervously. Matthew had made arrangements for a fine lunch to be served, though to be fair, he had no real idea what he would get. He had chosen a more appropriate drink during his wait...bland water, for shame...but anything more might have seemed excessive. First impressions were critical in such luncheons, and in honor of this one, Matt had meticulously cleaned his best habit, trimmed his hair, and preened himself cautiously as if he were preparing to meet the woman of his dreams.

But no woman was he expecting. Instead, he was expecting Commander Lyndom Markham, the de-facto leader of the city guard...or at least as much of a commander that the guards themselves called him by name as their commanding officer (it had occurred to Matthew that Markham might report to a higher authority, no doubt a more affluent and somewhat detached administrative head). Ultimately, Matthew needed to sell his services to the Commander if he were to proceed with his particular duties here in Roque d'Ancourt. Indeed, if he failed to leave a positive impression upon the Commander, he would have a serious problem with which to contend. Having left word with the staff...and ordered his second water...Matthew stared down into the glass and waited.

He didn't drink it, of course.

It wouldn't do if he missed his chance at a first impression while making water in the latrine.
Syra
The Chocolate Game Designer

Post by Syra »

The sun had chased away the morning fog, leaving a warm day with promises of a thunderstorm later on.

Not that this mattered to any of the people in the Goose. While they were working or enjoying their lunch inside the outside weather was not even remotely interesting. Two gentlemen were discussing the price of Roque's Red for the coming season. Appearantly there was some worry about the lack of rain.

At the same time the weather did concern Lyndon Markham, current commander of the Roques. Opressive weather always did something to the mood of the people and he remembered all too well what had happened last time a storm threatened. The tall man bowed his head when entering the establishment, not wanting to start off with a bump.

His blue eyes peered around the room, resting shortly on all those present, waiting for some kind of acknowledgement other than the usual respect that he was due. The rusty tabard of the Roques stood out over his casual clothing -he was never really off duty anyway.
[size=75]Chocolate is not an addiction, it is a way of life.

[/size]
Matthew
Civus

Post by Matthew »

It was the tabard that drew Matthew's attention first, the subtle rust color having become somewhat familiar to the monk despite his short tenure in the city. The man beneath the tabard was more of a mystery, but that couldn't be avoided. It simply would not have done for Matt to poke around and dig up information on the commander prior to their meeting. It was entirely possible that he might have found out about the Inquisitor's inquiry, and that would not have been accepted graciously. No, that would have been rude.

Quickly getting to his feet, Matthew motioned to the staff at the Gander that his guest had arrived...a signal to begin the serial procession of dishes that would make up lunch. The monk had spared no expense for it today, of course...even though the monk had precious near funds to expend...including a strong padding of generosity to insure attentiveness.

Moving to welcome the Commander, the monk paused a few steps away and bowed. "Commander Markham, I presume?" he began. "I am Matthew of Havarti. Thank you so much for taking the time to see me today. Please...join me for lunch. I wish I could tell you what we're about to have, but I have assurances that we will not be displeased!"

Matthew motioned back to his table, pleased that he had managed a fine tone of civility and professionalism. Indeed, there would be time enough to talk business once lunch had begun. For now, he would get a feeling about Lyndam Markham to find out what kind of man he truly was (in so much as Matthew could accomplish). After all, professionalism and civility counted for much...but genuine regard counted for so much more.
Callara
Civus

Post by Callara »

Callara entered the Goose and Gander and looked around standing upon the doorstep for a few brief flickers. She had never been inside the place, previously preferring the more dangerous inns where she used to hang out with Jules. Mostly in front of them or occasionally inside when she didn't want to eat at her aunt and uncle's house.

"Damn, food. I have to find someone for that aswell..."

She'd been in the palace for a few tides now but with the Parade in between she hadn't organised the household at all yet, and the old household was very very absent. Save for Sun who always lingered around when she walked about the place.
Entering a few burns after, she was just in time to see Matthew direct someone wearing a Roque tabard to a table. A quick glance around the place did not reveal anyone else especially of note, not military wise anyway so Callara deduced the man to be commander Markham.

"Why in blazes would a monk want to talk with the commander of the guard? Doesn't that guy have divine ass to kiss or anything?" The blood stirred within already and for a flicker she felt like giving the good monk a brain displacement. A feeling she suppressed quickly as she reviewed her goals. "Get a feeling for what this commander is like, chat with him a little about some direct issues, maybe twist his mind a little bit...He'll be no good to me dead...yet. And killing his friends isn't going to help me either."

She nodded politely to whoever watched her enter, in the meantime removing her hood and walking towards a seat near the table where the friar and the commander were seated and sat down facing the two men and the door. She waved someone over with the intent to order some food and then turned her attention to the conversation at the other table, seemingly pondering her own thoughts as she closed her eyes for a burn, sitting back easily.

Her focus turned to her ears and to the auras and blood of the men at the table.
Last edited by Callara on Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You underestimate the Power of the Dark Side" - Darth Vader

Callara's Compendium

Avatar drawn and edited by me, tweaked by QC.
Syra

Post by Syra »

"Lyndon Markham, at your service." The officer gave Matthew a small, formal bow. "Thank you for your invitation. I shall not pass up on it when a day goes by so fast one might wonder where the time to eat went." A small grin touched his eyes as he took a seat. Once at the table the man's eyes wandered over the establishment again, making sure he was seated in such a way that he had some overview of the room.

Immediately the first tray with freshly cut bread and generous slices of cheese and meat came to the table, after which the waiter made himself invisible again until called upon.

"Ah, good!" There was real enthusiasm in the commander's voice upon seeing the table's contents. "And now of course I have to wonder what I owe this invitation to." He made no move towards the food just yet.

Meanwhile Callara entered the Goose. Markham swiftly surveyed the newcomer with a polite nod and turned his attention back to the table and his host.

Another waited made his way to Callara, looking slightly nervous at the presence of a commanding officer in the room. His youth might have something to do with it, or maybe he even dreamed of a career in the military. Right now, however, he was intent on making sure the lady at his table got whatever she payed for.

"Lady? A drink or a meal?" His voice betrayed the stage right between childhood and adulthood when it skipped over to a higher note.

[/size]
Callara
Civus

Post by Callara »

Callara looked up at the youth who had approached her as she beckoned. She hadn't eaten yet and even though for some reason she had found herself not to be very hungry for the past few tides or so, she decided to go with some food none the less.

"Both will be good. Nothing too heavy though. Something light." There was really no point in wasting time in an inn with just sitting and listening. Might aswell have something to eat while she spied on the dear commander and his companion...
"You underestimate the Power of the Dark Side" - Darth Vader

Callara's Compendium

Avatar drawn and edited by me, tweaked by QC.
Syra

Post by Syra »

ooc
This thread will be taken over by our own Ratface :)

[/size]
Gutter Rat
Retired staff

Post by Gutter Rat »

The waiter nodded silently and bustled off to fetch her something meeting those ends - fish and a light wine were often the most preferred by diners not wanting to feel glutted afterwards. Meanwhile, it appeared as if the soldier and monk were engaged in light chatter of no real interest to eavesdroppers*. If Matthew had anything interesting to - third parties anyway - to say to the man, he had yet to say it.

Within a few burns, the young man returned with her meal and drink - the fish was a standard staple and almost always being cooked 'just in case' and ordered up just as quickly, so it had not taken as long as an more specialized order.

"Will there be anything else, madam?" the waiter asked with a nervous smile, hoping to receive a tip for his expedient service as well as his eagerness to serve.

* I have PM'd Matthew - sorry this thread went stagnant...been waiting on his IC reply.
Daemons come out at night...and so do the rats.
Posting availability: Almost daily, if I can swing it.
Gutter Rat
Retired staff

Post by Gutter Rat »

Locked and archived
Daemons come out at night...and so do the rats.
Posting availability: Almost daily, if I can swing it.

Return to “Roque d'Ancourt Archive”