Ophelia's Arrival - Chryril 25 MT

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Ophelia da Yrsa
Civus

Post by Ophelia da Yrsa »

As the stormy woman eyed the Trothgardian girl she started to get an idea of why she must be angry. She's jealous! Ophy could've laughed out loud, but managed to contain herself as she was questioned by the well-to-do stranger who had no shortage of beauty herself. "I, well... let me just start by saying that I'm not trying to get between you and your fellow - alright? So, quit looking at me like I'm some sort of man-thief or something. This guy you're meeting for lunch, nether, I don't even know his name.

We met in the market and he asked me to pick up a few things for him so that he wouldn't be late here. If I were guessing he wouldn't want your mood to be spoiled especially if he's supposed to be sharing an expensive lunch here," her eyes shifted from the predator as the woman looked her over. Ophy wasn't afraid of her so she didn't feel like she needed to watch her all that carefully.

"It is a really nice place," she almost whispered as the assumed noble bridged the gap between them. Ophelia swallowed and used all her acting ability to feign a smile. "He told me to meet him in here, but I'd be just as comfortable outside if you'd like to take a seat and wait for your friend." The bard suggested keenly. Angering noblewomen was not high on her agenda for the day.
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain"
~Bob Marley
Avatar by the ever so lovely [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com/]Finnyface[/url]. Full size in journal.
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

“Oh, no, I couldn’t possibly let you wait outside. Please, take a seat so we can get better acquainted before our mutual friend arrives. And, he is not “my fellow” as you so quaintly put it.” The woman’s tone was superficially friendly but an icily sharp undertone was never far from the surface.

“Now what are these few things that he wished you to bring him? I am his dear friend so he has no secrets from me. However, if you need a little assistance in recalling…” The noblewoman let the words hang in the air and produced a small bulging purse from which she extracted a few coins and laid them on the table.
Ophelia da Yrsa
Civus

Ophy nodded to the woman's suggestion to take a seat and did as instructed. "Thanks," she said as she pulled one of the available chairs beneath her rump and unceremoniously placed her elbows on the edge of the table. Her body leaned into the posture of comfortability rather than formality. Such wasn't likely to be a surprise considering the woman's initial judgment of the farm girl.

As the noble was quick to procure payment via a lovely pouch Ophelia was just as quick to protest, though she did so with less tact than was common of the aristocracy. "If you're such good friends then I'm sure he'll tell you all about me," she grinned. "As well as all about the stuff I've got." Bright blue eyes sparkled with the teasing that was well kept from appearing in her voice. It was one thing to play around and another to taunt someone powerful. She wasn't about to step too far onto the stranger's toes.

"He didn't mention you and I'm not the sort of girl whose about to give away secrets. For all I know it's a present. I'd hate to ruin the surprise." Her fingers laced together on the tabletop. "So... I guess we're gonna have to wait on our Lord then. Ophelia," she indicated herself with a nod. "And you?"
~Bob Marley
Avatar by the ever so lovely [url=http://pixieface.deviantart.com/]Finnyface[/url]. Full size in journal.
Guido Cercatoro

Surprisingly, the blond woman took Ophelia’s reply with apparent good grace. “Well, I had best leave you to it then,” she said, striding back to the door through which she had entered and making no reference to her name. With a final insincere smile, she left through the door, pulling it shut behind her.

It was a mere half a burn after the woman had left, that the door opened and the tall Lord entered through the main door, ushered in by the obsequious waiter. The nobleman was dressed in a high quality velvet doublet and hose. He slapped a pair of fine gloves down on the table but said nothing until after the waiter deposited a silver tray containing a wine decanter and glasses on the table before leaving the room.

The man turned an icy glare towards Ophelia. “Do you have it?”
Ophelia da Yrsa
Civus

Had Ophelia been a more thoughtful girl, she might've wondered over whether or not the woman had been a friend of the nameless lord. She also might've guessed at the notion of having been tested - and passing. Sadly, Ophy wasn't one to consider these sorts of things. Instead, she watched with surprise as the chilling, but beautiful, woman disappeared as if she hadn't been there at all.

It was actually rather rude. O's mouth was still open as the stranger strut into the room. A flicker after her lips snapped together she realized it was the lanky Lord from before. Thank the gods... she would've muttered had they not been in mixed company. Her mother had been insistant that she mind her tongue as far as reference to deities - especially in King's Court. One didn't want to get taken to Pax.

"Of course I have it, or.. atleast, I have something that looks enough like it that I think it must be it. No way of knowing till I see those coins turn." She rummaged about in her purse and clamped her hand around the curious item and began drawing it out, albeit slowly, while awaiting the nobleman to procur her payment.
~Bob Marley
Guido Cercatoro

A smile of satisfaction crossed the noble's face as he caught sight of the object.

"I am pleasantly surprised." It was evident from his demaenour that he was more than surprised, he was very relieved. Digging into his pocket he produced two crowns. A slight noise came from behind the rear door. The man frowned but then shrugged returning his attention back to his guest.

"Here is what I promised, now give it to me." If Ophelia handed over the object, she would receive the coins.

"You may have a drink for your troubles," he said, nodding towards the decanter. "And then be on your way and do not mention this to anyone."
Ophelia da Yrsa
Civus

The young woman grinned and felt quite good about herself, as well as for the weight of the coins replacing that of the interesting object. Offering a drink brought a more surprised face, one she didn't bother hiding the way a trained noble would. "Well, thanks," she said without pretense and poured herself a glass of the fine drink. "Would.. would you like me to pour you some as well? Or are you waiting on your lady friend before having a drink?"

She had an insatiable curiosity, this girl. Ophy just couldn't help picking at things. She just had to know. The thing was, she wasn't entirely sure that that woman was actually a friend of her secretive nobleman. There was an increasing feeling, one born both from her demeanor as well as her quick exit, that she wasn't what she claimed. Maybe that was why she had to ask, or maybe it was just the fact that she wanted very much to throw some little tidbit of knowledge into the man's face. A man who had already made it quite clear that he thought Ophelia to be a lesser person.

Her hand hovered over the second glass in waiting for him to either say yes or no.
~Bob Marley
Guido Cercatoro

The nobleman appeared puzzled for a flicker. “Yes, I will have some wine, thank you. But tell me, why do you assume I am here to meet a lady?” After a flickers pause he answered his own question. “Well I suppose it is a reasonable assumption given the private nature of this room.”

“The lady concerned is a great beauty,” he continued with a hint of satisfaction in his voice. “Yet she can be jealous. If she saw you here, she might decide to cut off your ears for her own amusement. Lingering here may prove your downfall.”

There was another slight noise behind the door. The nobleman glanced to the door, a wry smile on his face. “Of course, the lady’s worst sin is her inquisitiveness. Such a poor feature in a noblewoman, don’t you think?”

“And what about you my dear?” The nobleman hovered close to Ophelia. “Do you have any sins? You have been useful to me. Perhaps I might have need of your services in the future.”
Ophelia da Yrsa
Civus

The surprises just continued as the previously rude noble said thank you and warmed alarmingly. Ophelia, though fairly naive when it came to many things, did have a pretty good concept of people. Well, she liked to fancy that she did, that was. Without further word she poured him a matching glass of the wine and then took a slow, deliberate, sip of the beverage. She used the gulp as chance to let him pass from his original question and answer it himself, only to offer some words about the unknown woman. Silently she passed him his glass.

When he suggested she might cut off her ears her eyes widened and Ophy gave a mild meep. She didn't doubt that the woman had the capability, but O was hardly one to give up without a fight. If it came down to it, the Trothgardian felt she'd have the upperhand.

"I didn't think nobles had any bad features," she said politely, minding her place expertly and not wanting to overstep her bounds by much. As the gentleman drew closer to her she bit her lip and nodded her head. "I don't know when to keep my mouth shut, usually, my mother called it a sin - said it was a sin that I couldn't be easily married off, too," she shrugged and swallowed, feeling increasingly uncomfortable by his close presence.

The girl had noticed his darted attention, and the subtle noises behind the door. Her voice dropped low to a hoarse whisper. It was unaccustomed to such quiet tones. "I think that's your girlie, sir. She came in here, lookin for you and steaming when she found me. I made it through with my ears though," she smirked. "You're right, she is very beautiful."
~Bob Marley
Guido Cercatoro

The nobleman’s arrogance appeared to have changed into something akin to sardonic amusement as he listened to Ophelia. When she had finished, he bent his mouth close to her ear, his warm breath blowing into the orifice.

“The skill of when to keep you mouth shut and when to open it is one that is most essential,” he whispered slowly. Whether the remark was made with sincerity, in amusement or with an underlying hint of menace was difficult to decipher.

With no further comment, the man strode to the door and flung it open. The lady, who had been listening behind the door, stumbled into the room and fell flat on her face in a most inelegant heap.

“Angelique,” said the nobleman in apparent surprise. “I thought that it was some rat or other pest behind the door. But no, I find that it is only my beautiful dinner guest. Let me assist you.”

The blond haired woman was pulled on to her feet and brushed down her dress. Her face betrayed no emotion and when she had finished rearranging her dress she smiled at her dinner date. “You are so vigorous in all you pursue, my Lord.”

“I believe you may have met my other guest,” continued the Lord.

“Oh yes, indeed,” said the woman called Angelique through gritted teeth. “Such a pretty little thing, for a commoner. Still, I expect you are about to go, aren’t you, my dear. The fare here would be too rich for your tastes.”
Ophelia da Yrsa
Civus

"I'm doing my best to learn, my Lord," she replied unsure of how cryptic he'd meant for his words to sound. In her imagination she saw him using his strange rune-imbued trinket to hunt her down should she ever mention it to anyone. Visions of it glowing and throwing magickal sparks of power flooded her mind as demons erupted from it's core with their only purpose being silencing her. If she could've managed a sound she might've meeped but found herself incapable.

The moment passed quickly as the Lord left her side and was so swift in opening the door that the poor noblewoman spilled right onto the ground. Ophelia gave a desperate, sudden laugh which was louder than she realized. By the Queen's nips! Get me out of here... Awkwardly she had a sip of the wine and managed to finished it off as Angelique suggested not so subtly that she leave.

"It's too something for my tastes, that's for sure," she said with about as much charm as could be expected of one of such a low class. Continuing the theme of her lack of etiquette she turned to the still un-named Lord and offered him her most winning smile. "Pleasure, my Lord, thank you for this afternoon, it was really fun." If one could 'turn on' a blush, she did it just then, and merely for Angelique's burning jealousy. "Enjoy your lunch."

And with that Ophelia headed out of the private room in the hopes of finding Sam and Jaaz.
~Bob Marley
Guido Cercatoro

The nobleman gave a thin smile to Ophelia as she opened the door to leave. “Should you be in need of employment in the future, I may have some work for you. Call here and ask for Lord Alexandro Sanguine.”

Sam and Jaaz were waiting where Ophelia had left them. The young boy was wide-eyed with expectation. “Did yer get the money?”
Ophelia da Yrsa
Civus

"Will do, thank you," she said and left the couple to do whatever it is nobles do in expensive restaraunts. Seems a waste to just eat in such a nice secluded room...

"Yes indeedy, Sam!" Ophelia announced. There was a great measure of relief in seeing the scamp. He was much more pleasurable company than either the Lord or his Lady. For that, she was glad to have found him. Reaching into her purse she retrieved one of the two coins and held it palm-up for him to inspect. "Here you go, for all your help," she said with a bright grin and slid her thumb under the coin to give it a playful flick toward him.

Once it left her hand she was busy giving Jaaz a nose-rub. "What a good boy, eh.. standing around must drive you wild. You just wait until we've left the city, then you can run," she placed a foot in the stirrup and lofted herself onto the steed's back. "Think you can help me get to a better pub? I'm as hungry as a half-starved Gulandurian!" She'd never met anyone of the race, but the phrase still stuck - whether or not it was polite was up to someone else to decide. Being politically correct was very low on her agenda.

"I heard something about a Giggling Prince or something?" She knew it was the Laughing King, but couldn't help playing a bit with the amusing boy. Lending a hand she helped get him onto the saddle with her again so that they might continue on their way.
~Bob Marley
Guido Cercatoro

Sam deftly caught the coin, his face lighting up with undisguised glee. “It wer’ a good day when I met yer, missy.”

Ophelia was soon in the saddle and helped Sam up behind her. Jaaz felt solid and reassuring and continued to attract glances from those with any knowledge of horses that passed by.

“Yer mean the Laughin’ King,” replied Sam with a chuckle in his voice. “I knows the way, it ain’t too far.”

It was only a few burns ride to the tavern and Sam quickly slid off the back of the horse. “Well, I guess its goodbye missy, unless yer want me fer anythin’ more.” There was a hopeful look on the boy’s face as he gazed at his companion.

At the head of the Avenue of Trade in King's Court overlooking a small plaza of cobbled stone sat the Laughing King's Tavern. It was a large inn, as large as any rural coaching inn, and would feature a small, enclosed coach way along with three full stories with a regally steeped rooftop, at least when it was complete. While construction of the Laughing King's Tavern had left two floors complete and largely functional, the top level with it's steep rafters and sturdy walls remained a skeletal frame awaiting completion.

Due to this incomplete appearance, it was with some relief that the weary traveller found the taproom of the inn complete and still the regulars were found beyond the large, thick door through which they would gain entry. The room was low and hazy with the smoke of burning wood and pipe smoke, air that both obscured one's sight yet left behind a pleasant scent to mix with the rich, earthy smells of the dusted floor. To the right was a grand staircase of carved wood leading up to the floors above, and beyond this was the long, broad bar of newly-polished wood. To the left stretched the commons itself, with several small, round tables filling the expanse and several private snugs lining two of the walls, each spilling out more of the soft, golden light that filled the cavernous interior from countless lanterns and sconces. It had been a rough time of rebuilding, but regular patrons of the inn were set upon making sure their second home stayed. Mostly wayward warriors, rugged veterans, and the occasional regular merchant from the Avenue of Trade could be found here. The tavern was ran with exceptional care by the proprietor and with many loyal regulars and seasoned veterans it was no place to look for trouble.

If Ophelia entered the tavern, she would find it half full with plenty of vacant tables. Anyone sitting at one of these tables would soon be approached by a young, dark-haired waitress. “What can I get you, madam?”
Ophelia da Yrsa
Civus

"I was thinking I might wish for your help in Pax, actually," she said giving the boy's hair a gentle tussle. "I'm not sure how I'm getting there yet. I'd be thinkin' that Jaaz and I will be going on a long walk. We could stand for the company if you think you'd want to see more than this city." There was a large part of her that couldn't leave the poor kid behind - though she didn't know what path lay before her in Pax, nor of what dangers it might present. She imagined it'd be less dangerous than a life on the street with only other kids to maintain him.

Ophelia made short work of tying Jaaz properly to the post for just that purpose and made sure to leave the local attendant a tip to make sure he was kept an eye on. She pulled her pack from the saddle as well, and was ready to drag that inside for a proper lunch. Something smelled divine - sweet and delicious, though she could already feel the craving of a more substantial meal. Stew, she thought. Something heavy to make me feel like I've finally landed from that boat ride.
~Bob Marley
Guido Cercatoro

“Pax?” Sam’s jaw dropped and a look of incredulity fixed itself onto his face. “I could go ter Pax with yer, missy? Always wanted to travel, see all of them mountains and the like. I’d love to go wi’ yer.” A smile wider than Ophelia had ever seen emerged on the young boy’s face.

A young lad appeared from the side of the tavern and gratefully took the horsewoman’s coin, promising to keep an eye on the horse. Sam stood nervously to one side, ready to follow his new companion into the tavern should he be bidden to do so.

If Ophelia entered the tavern, she would find it half full with plenty of vacant tables. A delicious spicy aroma floated through the tavern. Anyone sitting at one of these tables would soon be approached by a young, dark-haired waitress. “What can I get you, madam? We have a special spice stew that I would recommend if you wish to eat. ”

(OOC: unless there is more you want to do here we can wind this up soon and “fudge” Sam and Jaaz accompanying you to Pax.)
Ophelia da Yrsa
Civus

OOC: I love fudge! Sounds good to me. Sweet, now I magickally have a horse & a small boy in Pax... it is a wonderous place, that Paxland. Pleasure of a thread, Guido. Thanks.
~Bob Marley
Guido Cercatoro

(OOC: ok here’s a big helping of fudge)

After an appetising meal in the tavern, Ophelia retired for the might. The next day she departed for Pax accompanied by Commander Carbonneau. Sam and Jaaz followed a few burns behind. The poor urchin had balked at travelling with the army Commander for the boy’s activities on the streets of King’s Court had taught him to be distrustful of those in authority. Once Ophelia had obtained her new home from the Provost in Pax, Sam and Jaaz had gone on to investigate the White House.

(OOC: you will find Jaaz and Sam at the White House when you post there)
Guido Cercatoro

Locked for archiving
Guido Cercatoro

Archived and skilled

Return to “KC Archive”