An Assembly of Merchants (Chyril 27th, ET)

Moderators: Vanadius, Guido Cercatoro, Mods

Kaelara Mentahn
Shopkeeper

An Assembly of Merchants (Chyril 27th, ET)

Post by Kaelara Mentahn »

In the middle of the Main Street (Pax) is a large wooden building erected by the leading merchants of Pax to be the location for their council meetings. Although primarily wooden, the building is better constructed than most buildings in Pax, benefiting from the services provided by the local tradesmen who sit on the council. Inside, the building is little more than functional, consisting of the Office of the leader of the Council,a large hall where the meetings take place and two small side offices. In the larger of the two offices is the clerk to the council, whilst the other contains the clerk's assistant, who also acts as caretaker and odd-job man. New arrivals should report to the assistant's office. Knocking on the door, they will be greeted by the sight of a smiling, well-built young human. "How may I help you?"

The morning's conversation with Elaine had been followed by a visit to Annuir. Drained by the experience of drawing out Seth, it had taken a good mark, mindlessly sorting stock in her cellar, before she had calmed and refocused her mind, drawing to the fore the ideas she planned on setting forth to the council.

Despite her vociferous opinions and suggestions to change items proposed by others to the council, this would be her first time presenting an idea wholly her own. As such, the Adhiel's slight frame swept into the Merchant's Hall with a steady step that belied the unusual sensation of butterflies fluttering in her middle. One palm lifted briefly, flattening against her stomach as if to cage those unfamiliar tenants.

Having every right to enter, Kaelara let herself into the building, nodding to the young man who attended it. "I am here for the meeting... has Master Klebb arrived?" Intending to arrive a few burns early, her eyes flickered across those already assembled, trying to determine who was present, and weigh what little she knew about each. Will the apathy have stretched it's greedy fingers this far? Or will these see the dangers in what I am seeing?

Considering those present, as well as those likely to make an appearance, Kaelara swiftly tallied up how many Oneists versus her kind might be present this evening. She herself felt a prevailing disdain for those Dominican opportunists, but business was business, and she pushed aside such foibles for the time being.
Avatar courtesy of www.allavatars.com - Electra
Guido Cercatoro
Moderator & Coordinator Pax

Post by Guido Cercatoro »

The Merchants Council of Pax was established at the end of 1224 AD by the leading businessmen of the fledgling town to promote trade both within Pax and with other areas of the Kingdom. Supplies and materials had been in short supply in Pax in the early days of the town. However, the work of the Council, Provost and the enterprise of individual traders (both legally and illegally) alleviated the worst of the situation. The building of the Merchants Hall was a visible sign of the growing power of the merchants of the town and their desire to further enhance both their own wealth and the prosperity of the town.

The current leader of the Council is the well-respected builder and carpenter, Mattheus Klebb. He is aided by two assistants who perform administrative duties, organise meetings and maintain the Merchants Hall. The Council consists of a full assembly of all members which generally meet once a month and a smaller committee of seven members that meets on a regular basis. As befits the diversity of Pax, both the Assembly and Committee contain representatives of all races, businesses and religions.

In addition to Klebb, the current committee consists of the dwarven mineowner, Dawgrim; the humans Oswald Hammer, owner of a prosperous smithy, and Joshua Milton representing the farming community, the gnome proprietor of the Father's Grace tavern, Jakkeralan Lazaraus; the adhiel businessman Eloras D’laran and the achadhiel trader Menalar Samhaen.

As Kaelara entered the hall she was greeted by a tall, well-built young human dressed in a smart dark jerkin, white shirt and black leggings. She recognised the man as Leonard Markin, the assistant to the Council leader.

“Good even’tide Miss Mentahn. Master Klebb has arrived and is in his office if you wish to see him before the meeting.” The clerk gestured towards the door to the Main office. Behind Markin, then main hall was still relatively empty but some half a dozen or so traders were present – three humans, two adhiel and one achadhiel. She recognised the achadhiel as a leading member of the Council, Menalar Samhaen – a haughty but honest trader who imported limited quantities of relatively high quality foodstuffs and wine into Pax.

If Kaelara entered Klebb’s office, she would find herself in a relatively plain and functional room containing a large, pine desk behind which sat the leader of the council. He rose to greet the adhiel, smiling warmly. “Welcome. I trust that you are ready for the meeting. Is there anything that you wish to discuss first?”
Kaelara Mentahn
Shopkeeper

"My thanks, Markin," Kaelara's amber gaze swept quickly across those assembled, though she quickly turned into Klebb's office. A flicker of pleasure at Klebb's generous welcome curling vaguely about her lips.

"Namaste, Master Klebb. I merely wished to thank you for welcoming my proposal and acting upon it so promptly. Although, since you ask... As it has been weeks since the more general assembly, I wonder what kind of reception I might receive from the rest? Such would give me a few moments to ponder what their particular concerns might be." Expectant eyes watched the human's features, bringing to the fore what little she knew of the other merchants. Dawgrim will be an issue, for one... rumor had it the dwarf had grown much more tight-fisted of late. Not that I might blame him, one cannot simply mound rock in a booth and hawk them at such a frivolous thing as a party...

After Klebb had spoken, her brows lowered faintly, the blonde arches pointing inwards for a split flicker as a remembered concern wafted to the fore, recalling the reference to Wanesman in one of the merchant's replies the previous day. A glance at the door would hopefully reveal if any were lingering about hoping for their turn with Klebb.
Guido Cercatoro

Klebb moved over to the door of his office and pushed it shut before returning to his desk and speaking quietly.

“I have called a meeting of the full Assembly tonight Miss Mentahn as, in addition to your proposals, some of the local businesses are concerned about the effect on their trade of recent…incidents in town. I expect at least twenty to attend so you should be able to gauge their views concerning your proposals.”

“As to their concerns, it is simple really. If you can convince them that they will make money, they will fall over themselves to agree to our proposition. However, they are shrewd men…and women…so they will ask for as much detail as possible. And, when they raise issues and problems, they will expect a clear answer.”

Klebb furrowed his brow and frowned a little before continuing. “Of course, there are those who may feel threatened by our little venture or may just wish to be bloody minded. Much against my wishes, Morton Wanesman has been allowed to join the assembly. I suspect that he will oppose us, for he has his own interests at stake…. And, Dawgrim, should he bother to turn up, will just be argumentative, as he always seems to be of late.”
Kaelara Mentahn
Shopkeeper

Klebb's simple action and quiet words alluded to a certain measure of confidence in the company present. As the man resettled himself behind the desk, she took the opportunity of nudging a chair into position, one ankle hooking around a simple leg, then perching on the end.

Dawgrim she dismissed with a swish of fingers. "Everyone knows their is trouble at the mine, and will take his comments with a grain of salt... he certainly won't make it easy, if he takes it into his mind to do so, but it will give little difficulty to our ends." An amber gaze fixed on the features of Mattheus, for here she was pleased to find a commonality of concern.

"But Wanesman..." Her lips twitched with disdainful displeasure at the man's name. "He has a fair portion of the town in his pocket, I hear, and one of the shopkeeper's yesterday clearly wanted nothing to do with our proposal for fear of reprisal." Pale eyebrows winged downwards, lowering over a serious gaze as she continued a quiet commentary. "This concerns me, for I feel he seeks more than just simple matters of trade, that he seeks some manner of power. Have you heard aught else, that might relieve these fears?" Alert to Klebb's response, she fell silent, hoping the words she had woven were bland enough without revealing opinions too set in their ways.

Though she had conquered some little of her disdain for humankind, the ways that Trader seemed to epitomize the greed and tight-fisted nature of humans had always repelled her. Her brief interactions with the man had left her with the strong urge to bathe, as if one might shed his slimy touch as easily as dirt. For her own part, the Adhiel had ensured to maintain little, if any debt, and based on the snippets she had heard of Wanesman's dealings, such was the only certain means of remaining apart from his influence. None will find my feet dancing to their tune...
Guido Cercatoro

The craftsman’s face darkened as the adhiel talked of Wanesman. “I know that Trader is mainly motivated by a burning desire for wealth, Yet, I fear that you may be right and he seeks more than this. His insistence on joining the council might be the start of an attempt to acquire greater influence.”

Klebb sighed before continuing, scratching one cheek with a gnarled finger. “In addition to his “buying and selling” activities, it is rumoured that he has bought into several new businesses through loans or part ownership. In this way he acquires influence and leverage within the business community. Indeed, I have heard that he has ordered the construction of a large new office from which to conduct his business.”

“It may be worthwhile talking to Eloras D’laran,” said Klebb thoughtfully. "He is also a moneylender but a much more honest one than Wanesman. If there was some way we could find direct evidence of any criminal activities, we could present evidence to the Provost, for I am sure he likes Trader no more then I do.”
Kaelara Mentahn
Shopkeeper

Listening thoughtfully, though Klebb's words concerned her, there was something of power in the confidences he shared, something that bound them to a common purpose, beyond the ties of mere trade.

"We must make plans to counter-balance his efforts, until we can determine the extent of his designs." A thought flickered through her mind, and escaped to lips before she could assess the wisdom of the suggestion. "Suspicious I might be, but those seeking power in this place may also have connections elsewhere, with certain ends in mind." Tucking the name he had revealed into the corner of her mind, she considered their conversations.

The slightest curve shifted her lips from those dark thoughts, a vaguely coy smile escaping the bonds of control she otherwise employed. A thumb traced the smooth, nearly invisible lines of her opposite palm.

"If you can gather what you can from our peers, perhaps I might find trustworthy hands and ears to gather what else we might wish to discover." Savarak, what uses I might find for you... It had occurred to her before that, left to their own devices, Savarak and his achadhiel brethren might yet get themselves and Pax into more difficulties. Something to occupy them, that might yet provide some benefit... yes. Her eyes followed the changes of Klebb's face, hoping to garner some little understanding of his character. And yet, even so, her only hope of achieving some power of her own here, was to align herself with the growing factions in Pax. Or begin my own. The latter thought wafted dangerously through her mind, as she glanced at her companion, eyes firm with a conviction her voice echoed.

"Pax is struggling in its adolescence, with no clear direction as to what it will become. We have an opportunity, here, Master Klebb, to guard its innocence while the city matures. Alone, I do not believe either of us, with our limited time and resources, might be entirely successful. We might stall the inevitable, pray to our gods that no tragedy, no power-hungry 'Trader' or wrathful religious fervor will descend upon this town, but unless we take action when conscience demands it, our livelihood, businesses, and new-wrought homes might be all for naught." Her amber eyes fairly glowed as she watched him, the melodic tones of her accented voice passionate, though quiet, so as not to seem overwhelming. "If these words bear a truth you can align yourself with, I hope my reputation is trustworthy enough for us to come to an understanding." The wave of energy, spent, faded as an ebbing tide might, as she watched, awaiting his response.
Guido Cercatoro

“I will find out what I can through my contacts,” agreed Klebb somewhat wearily, as if the thought of such an endeavour was not one he relished. The craftsman had a trustworthy manner and, as far as Kealara could tell, he was being both open and honest. After a few flickers deep thought, he continued in a quiet voice.

“We may need help in our endeavour. There is a person who may be able to assist. He has… a special talent for acquiring information. I know that Tamerton uses him on occasion, yet no-one knows his identity other than the pseudonym he goes by….the Dipper…”

“I have used him once before,” said Klebb in a slightly troubled manner. “If I wish to use his services again, he said that I should make it known in the Father’s Grace tavern that I thinking of journeying to the Spirit’s Cross. He would do the rest. Perhaps you might try to contact him, if you feel it is worthwhile.”

“As for your proposal, well, I can see merit in what you suggest. Let me think on it for a while and ponder as to who else might be persuaded to join with us.”

“Is there anything more we need to discuss? The meeting will begin in a few burns and I hate to be late.”
Kaelara Mentahn
Shopkeeper

Despite bearing the energy of youth and a burning, deeply hidden passion for a cause she could not yet confess to, she spared a flicker of pity for Klebb.

"I am glad you see as I do, Master Klebb, but do not feel daunted by the tasks ahead of us. Recall that a burden you may have borne, has now been halved. You can be assured that I will neither slack, nor take my responsibilities lightly. Such an offer, however, requires you to reveal to me when my assistance is necessary." Amber eyes glittered, a flicker of Adhiel pride and assurance settling across her shoulders and the chin that lifted, ever so slightly. Such a crucial triviality.

“Is there anything more we need to discuss? The meeting will begin in a few burns and I hate to be late.”

"For certain, Master Klebb, I would be timely if we can." Straightening with a smooth manner customary to her kind, she inclined her head towards the door with a reserved smile... and yet there was a certain lightness to eyes and brow, as if her companion's encouragement and words had lightened concerns that had threatened to etch themselves upon pristine features. "You honor me, sir, thankyou for discussing this with me." She extended slender, pale fingers to him, an acknowledgement of their agreement.

Conversation ended, eyes shifted slowly around the assembly to take note of newcomers as they returned to the main room. Not all were strangers, and she was quick to respond to those who might greet her with a demure, "Namaste." Making small talk where appropriate, she moved quietly about the room, casually listening to the conversations about her for anything of note.

When it was time to be seated, she strove to find herself a seat where her diminuitive height would not play against her when the time came to speak.
Guido Cercatoro

“Let us see how the even’tide proceeds,” said Klebb, standing as he spoke. “Then, I will see what I can find out about Wanesman’s activities. And, if necessary, we will seek out the Dipper. In any event, it might be in your interest to know him for he is the most well informed person in the town…”

The craftsman strode over to the door and held it open for his guest. “After you, Miss Menthan,” he said with a smile.

In the main assembly hall, a number of chairs were arranged in rows before a table which stood on a raised dais. Behind the table were two chairs, one which was already occupied by Markin who, judging by the parchment and leather bound book on the desk, acted as secretary for the Council. The other chair was empty and was presumably to be occupied by Klebb. The remainder of the hall was roughly half full with around twenty business persons present. Some were talking in groups whilst others were sitting down but empty seats were available throughout the hall.

The adhiel knew by name or repute most of those present even if she had not had direct dealings with them. In addition to Menalar Samhaen who was sitting alone in the front row, of particular note were three other members of the central committee who were standing in a group close to the stage- the honest but dour smithy, Oswald Hammer; the farmer, Joshua Milton, and the adhiel businessman Eloras D’laran. Klebb moved to join the group. The two other members of the committee, Jakkeralan Lazaraus and Dawgrim were nowhere to be seen. Morton Wanesman was esconced in a corner of the room in deep conversation with two other members of the assembly whom Kaelara did not instantly recognise.

A few traders nodded polite greetings to the adhiel as she moved into the hall but she picked up no titbits of conversation of any import. She received a warm smile and nod from the barrel-chested baker, Omran, who was seated alone at the end of the second row of chairs.
Kaelara Mentahn
Shopkeeper

Though Wanesman's activities drew a brief, but sharp glance, Kaelara's attention eased thoughtfully through the assembly as she swept slowly across the floor to the first few rows, arranging her proposition as she sought a seat. A friendly tilt of her head acknowledged Omran's silent greeting, and though she could not assume his support in her proposed venture, it certainly seemed likely.

As she passed the man, she murmured a few pleasantries, and a friendly, quiet promise to seek some of his thoughts and assessments after the meeting. Not allowing herself to get caught by conversation, she quickly proceeded to the front row, settling easily into the seat by Menalar with a quiet, but friendly flicker of lips. Some regarded the achadhiel as haughty, and yet, Kaelara reflected, it reminded her of the natural pride of her kind.

"Namaste," emerged the pleased greeting, as she settled into her seat, a delicate hand fluttering an accompanying thought. "And how does this evening find you, Master Samhaen?" Her personal actions with the other achadhiel were few, and yet his reputation for honesty seemed to encourage her respect. "I keep intending to purchase a sampling of your fine wines, and yet responsibilities seem to make awry the best of my intentions." Her amber gaze sought his, pert features attentive as a thought suddenly wafted to the forefront of her mind. Why would Provost Sanguine choose a distributor so untried as herself, when a man of Samhaen's proven abilities lay close to hand? After a moment, a wry thought seemed to answer her own question, Perhaps it is the hair, two men taking such pains for their looks must not appreciate too great a competition.
Guido Cercatoro

Omran nodded in reply to the adhiel’s greeting but said nothing, seemingly content to sit silently in his seat.

Menalar gave a rather stiff and formal bow to the adhiel. He was a tall, thin man with an equally thin, yet almost handsome face. He lacked the dashing good looks and charm of the Provost, yet he was equally attractive in his own way.

“Namaste, Miss Menatah,” he replied most properly to Kaelara’s greeting.”I am well, although I do not relish these meetings. I trust that you are equally as well and your speech is prepared?”

“As for the wine, well I can arrange a tasting session for you, if you wish to try some samples, perhaps with the aim of buying to stock in your shop?” It was clear from his quick response that Menalar had a keen eye for business.
Kaelara Mentahn
Shopkeeper

There was an advantage to seated conversation, when the heights of those speaking varied so greatly. Kaelara quickly perched on the chair besides the achadhiel after responding to his bow with a fluid dip of a slight curtsey and briefly bowed head. I wonder, is his stilted manner borne of uncertainty and a lack in confidence? Or is he making up for something with all his formality?

"Mentahn." Despite the rustling's of irritation within at the mix-up of her name, a flash of whimsy colored her amber orbs. "Though I suppose Mentahn's Corner might lend it a little more memorability, I find the phrasing of my shop catches the ear more pleasantly." Relenting a little, her lips curled in a pleasant manner to reveal no harm done. And yet, she could not quite help the quiet imp that spurred the next words forth. "But come, let us not stand on formality, sir.. you have leave to use my given name." If you can remember it...

Attractiveness was often in the eyes of the beholder, and while the Adhiel could appreciate the Provost's beauty, there was the matter of his very humanness that detracted from it, the subtle thicknesses of facial lines and the hairiness! Although Menalar suffered from a similar complaint, there was yet something pleasing in the narrow lines and features that suggested at their common Adhiel origins. The little feminine voices that nattered over this in the back of her mind faded into obscurity with an embarrassed twitch of thought that she covered by glancing towards the front of the room, as if checking to see if Klebb had taken his seat. Returning to the conversation, her musical accent carried forth quietly.

"As to my speech..." she twitched her shoulders and lifted her chin with a faint smile, "hopefully you will find my thoughts and reasons compelling, for if all goes well, I can imagine you would stand to profit from it." Sidling backwards against the support of the chair, she absently rubbed the thumb of one hand against the inner palm of the other. "The tasting session is an excellent suggestion," her eyes brightened slightly, head dipping in an agreement, "I would appreciate the opportunity to understand your mind on such matters. It has occurred to me that I should like to expand my business, and perhaps your familiar insight into the local market, and the qualities of your wines, might help me determine what forays of my own I shall make. I wonder if my shop is the most appropriate for such a product? Do you have any advice on the matter?" Not for this moment, would be the revelation of the Foreno wine, but if the opportunity arose... perhaps Samhaen and I might come to an understanding.
Guido Cercatoro

The tall achadiel spread his arms wide in reaction to the adhiel’s admonishment. “I am sorry, Miss Mentahn. I do apologise. My memory slips on occasion. Do forgive me. And I shall be only too happy to call you by your given name, which I know full well is Kaelara, if you would also honour me by calling me by my given name.” The trader still spoke formally but there was perhaps evidence of an amused glint in his eye; the merest indication that beneath the outward stiffness, if it could be breached, was a warmer individual.

“If I can be convinced that I will profit from your venture, I will fully support it,” replied Menalar in a straightforward manner. On the surface it was the honest and obvious answer of a businessman.

“Well perhaps we could use the tasting session to talk over various business matters,” continued the trader. “I might be able to advise you if I know which goods are in short supply in your shop and which areas you see as viable for expansion. I have many supply contacts and we may be able to come to some arrangement. When would be a good time to arrange our meeting?”

Klebb had mounted the dais and was talking to Markin. It appeared that the meeting was shortly to commence and virtually all those present had taken their seats.
Kaelara Mentahn
Shopkeeper

"Thankyou, Menalar, I will have a little time, as early as the 29th perhaps, or later the following week?" she murmured, her cool exterior yielding a briefly encouraging twitch of lips. Shifting from a conversational posture to one directed more towards the front of the room, the shuffle of feet and muttering of chair feet hinted that the assembly was, well, assembling.

It would remain to be seen if the casual exchange of familiarities would hinder her attempts at bartering and business later on. 'It is not so among our kind, you understand, daughter..' Her fathers words whirled to the fore of her mind. 'But among the lesser races, as a female, you must enforce a certain level of decorum and professionalism to maintain an appropriate focus on business.' Shaking free of the mental lecture, she took note of Samhaen's response, leaning slightly in his direction so their discussion would not resound in the quietening room, then directed her attention to Klebb and Markin.
Guido Cercatoro

“Perhaps you might dine with me on the 29th,” replied Menalar quickly as the remaining members of the Council took their seats. “Please come to my warehouse early even’tide. We can combine the wine tasting with some food. I am, I promise you, an excellent cook.”

Any further conversation was made impossible as Klebb brought the meeting to order and the room became respectfully silent.

It took a good few burns for Klebb to run through a series of administrative matters concerned with the financing and upkeep of the building. There was little dissension at the Council leader’s proposals for these matters and they proceeded to a vote without any real debate.

“And now,” continued Klebb. “We move on to the substantive business of this even’tide. The first item is a request to speak to the council from Miss Kaelara Mentahn, whom I’m sure most of you know. She has certain proposals which I am sure we would all benefit from hearing and then debate.”

“Miss Mentahn, if you would please take the stage and begin.” Klebb beckoned the adhiel forwards.

As the adhiel took the stage a loud, slow clap sounded from the rear of the room. When Kaelara turned she would see that it was Wanesman who was clapping. If ever a clap could be said to be sarcastic, this was it. A number of the others present looked around nervously. However, Menalar swivelled in his seat, smiled and began clapping loudly himself. It was only a little while before the entire hall had joined in. Wanesman scowled.
Kaelara Mentahn
Shopkeeper

OOC: This too long? Let me know and I can break it up. ;)

The slow, mocking noise of Trader's applause did not halt the vigorous steps that carried her slight frame to the stage, though the flickers between Menalar's kindness left her gut twisting in uncertainty. As the accord rose, echoing throughout hall, Kaelara turned to face the sea of masculine faces. If there were women among them, she had the presence of mind to avoid peering doubtfully into the crowd in search of them.

Chin arched confidently, shoulders back, her amber eyes flicked over the audience, seeking to identify pockets, moods, those who seemed overly aware of or intimidated by Wanesman's presence. Any resentful that I am allowed to speak first?

Eyes glimmering and bright with the reflections of lamplight, her cultured, musical lilt rang confidently out towards the assembly. Her gaze connected briefly with the sullen scowl at the back of the room as she began to speak, the vaguest suggestion of a smile curling at one corner of her lips.

"Thankyou for your kind regard, I hope to repay in kind by settling directly on the point I wish to bring before you. Yesterday, as I'm sure many of you know, was our weekly market. For the little scratch of earth that Pax occupies, I suppose it is nothing to scoff at, but as I wandered about the stalls, I noticed many of the townspeople were wandering, looking, but finding it difficult to... relinquish their grasp of even a few coppers.

"The difficulty we face as merchants is two-fold. On one hand," one palm opened and waved to the left, "we have hard-working people, whose apathy, more than lack, is causing them to hoard and save what they have. On the other," her right palm opened, "There is a surprising lack of confidence in the stability of our city, by either those supplying us our wares, or those seeking to enter in to agreements with us. While the presence of the portal lends us some accessibility, there are many Baronies, villages and farms here in the Border Estates who need more convincing that we are worth their investment. All the pieces are in place, except for the most important things: desire, need and trust."

"So how do we establish, as merchants, that the benefits we might offer can outweigh the costs? And how do we do so without compromising our own standards and profits?" Pausing briefly, to allow the question to ruminate among those present, she continued, allowing a touch of her excitement and passion to lend weight to her words.

"I propose this: instead of a normal market day, some time in the near future I would suggest we coordinate a festival. But what makes this different from a normal market day? If we have merely the same people, we might see little difference. So I suggest we pull in and pool all our resources. Firstly," Ticking off the points on one hand, she continued,

"We send invitations to the outlying towns, villages and baronies to participate. I presume that if we have a well-thought out plan, the Provost would see this as a great opportunity to show what Pax has accomplished so far. My intent is to stir up a sense of anticipation here, but also to draw in others who might also be interested in our wares, as well as other merchants and businessmen with whom we might begin building connections." Unspoken was the well-known rumor Sanguine had been sent here to prove himself, but his connections with nobility would also be a good resource for the council. Hopefully the reference will not be lost on them.

"Secondly, how to fund this? I propose that we do this by sponsorship, and charging a minor fee for renting boothspace. If we can attract the interest of outside merchants, this will help stimulate our own economy, as well. I foresee one possibility of these funds hiring entertainment, encouraging dancing, give the people a chance to be carefree. In addition to lightening this bedeviling apathy, perhaps it will allow them to lighten their pockets a little as well." As she spoke, she sought to meet the eyes of those in the audience, seeking to connect with many on an individual level, to speak to each person.

"Thirdly, any investment such as this, we would naturally wonder what the return might be once the detritus of celebration has been cleared away. Off-hand, one thing that comes to mind, is were we to rope off a small section of the festival, reserving it for any attending nobility, their entourage, and merchants involved in trade, that in itself would provide each of us a multitude of opportunities. Provide a quieter atmosphere for discussion, a little relaxation with a goblet of wine," her eyes flickered to Menalar, a friendly challenge in her amber gaze, as if to say, And there is the opportunity, if you choose to take the risk. "and allow us to build relationships that will instill confidence and bring more business through the streets of Pax. In short, that is a brief outline of what I feel the important idea behind my proposal. There are a great many ideas and minor details that would support this, but first, it is important to know if this is an idea you are willing to help support and promote." Throat dry from the effort of projecting her voice, she fell silent, nodding to Klebb that she was ready to open the floor for discussion.
Guido Cercatoro

Although the audience was predominantly male, there were three female businesswomen present in addition to Kaelara, although she did not immediately recognise any of them. The most well-known businesswoman in the city, the owner of the Gate tavern, was not present, presumably lucratively engaged in her business in the eventide. Wanesman was closely attended by the two assembly members he had previously been talking to and the three sat scowling. The fat man’s face showed not a flicker of reaction as Kaelara sought to catch his eye. Most of the other members of the audience appeared to be awaiting the speech with considerable interest. Omran and Menalar were noticeably smiling at the impending speaker.

The first part of the adhiel’s speech was listened to in polite silence as those present sought to digest her words. There were one or two nods of approval but most looked noncommittal. The mention of a festival provoked a little more interest. The ever-friendly Omran nodded his head with genuine interest as did one or two others.

“Thank you for your interesting proposal, Miss Mentahn,” said the Council leader rising to his feet. “Now, I am sure that there are many questions. Please raise your hands and I will get to you in turn.”

Menalar quickly jumped in with the first question. “I too see this as an interesting proposal, Miss Mentahn. However, if we are to attract others to this city, the festival must have some theme, some purpose. Did you have one in mind?”

The second question came from a female achadhiel who must have been a recent addition to the council, for Kaelara had never seen her before. “You speak of sponsorship. Who is to dip into their pockets to sponsor the festival? Have you a sponsor lined up?”

The third question came from one of Wanesman’s sour-faced cronies, a small, wiry dark-haired human. “So, how do you intend to get the high and mighty of the Kingdom to journey to this out of the way place? Most of them see it as a pagan backwater. Unless you have contacts, of course?”
Kaelara Mentahn
Shopkeeper

Although the general response remained somewhat reserved, enough of the keener minds showed interest that Kaelara felt her blood quicken. There was something of commanding the attention of all those present, of her ideas lending them direction, that seemed to spark a bit of energy in her slight frame.

She awaited Klebb's response, and the first question, pacing quietly along the fore of the stage with head bowed slightly, casting her pert, active features into relief. There was an approving glint in the gaze that dropped to Menalar, as she paused nearer his seat to respond to his question first.

"This is a time of new beginnings, both for our people, and for the Land about us. While it would perhaps be most fitting to celebrate Spring, as a time of rebirth, we should not be forced into such timing if another time would work as well. If we planned for a summer festival, it would be excellent timing - giving us ample opportunity to perhaps polish our city a little - and more than ample time for preparations. Midsummer's eve, with the longest day of sunshine, and celebrating the expected bounty of the fall... yes, I believe that would suit our purposes."

“You speak of sponsorship. Who is to dip into their pockets to sponsor the festival? Have you a sponsor lined up?”

Nodding appreciatively, she paced a little ways along the stage to better position herself to answer this other woman.

"It is for that purpose I have presented this before you. In some ways, it will be easier to find sponsors with all of our connections. But the sponsoring, I would think, would be accomplished in this manner: any festival needs some event to draw people to it, or several events. I would ask that each of us consider sponsoring some manner of game, and find larger sponsors for some competitive sport - a horse race, perhaps, a dancing competition, a trial of archery, perhaps. A small entry fee would help with the costs after the fact, as long as it was reasonable, but we must have the funds to set up such things beforehand - thus the need for sponsors."

Hoping that answer was sufficient, her gaze turned to Trader's crony, and though his question was harsh, and clearly meant to cause doubt in her abilities and the event, the only shift in her expression was a vaugely superior twist of her lips.

"Given a little time, and a little motivation, I'm sure the townspeople would enjoy an excuse to clean up our little city. As to that, our Provost is the son of a local Baron. If I can assure the Provost of our dedication to create a festival of quality, and that I have the backing of this Council body, I would not be surprised if he could use his status in the local Estates and among his peers to invite them to attend."

Excitement glistened in eyes that swept regally about the room. Projecting a conversational tone, her breaths filling her lungs as she firmed her diaphragm for speech, her limbs stirred with passion, sending her steps along the front of the stage. Her body tingled with liquid inspiration, face alight with conviction and determination. It was a new sensation, commanding the attention of so many. And she basked in that glow.

"I will not speak for you, but I myself am weary of sitting and waiting. Nothing will come from nothing! But we have something here with which to make a beginning. We have an impressive collection of wits, minds, and abilities in this very room. This is an opportunity for us, as merchants, as townspeople... but this is also an opportunity for each of you, as individuals, to have a huge impact on what Pax will come to be in the coming year."
Guido Cercatoro

Both Menalar and the achadhiel businesswoman appeared satisfied with Kaelara’s reply. Menalar spoke a few words:

“Yes, I can see the sense of a summer festival. It should be easier to attract others to come here in the summer. And I would be happy to sponsor some event. It is a long time since I had time to practice my bow but an archery event would appeal to me. Of course, some prizes would be essential if we are to attract people to enter.”

There was a murmur of interest around the room. The idea of holding an event with competitive games had clearly sparked considerable interest amongst those present.

The wiry-faced man scowled as Kaelara deftly dealt with his question. However, as she mentioned the possible support of the Provost, the scowl turned into a lop-sided grin.

“So, you believe that the Provost will support this venture? Do you have some special influence with him to ensure his support? I have heard that you have met him many times of late. To discuss such business, no doubt?” Although the man’s words were superficially innocuous, their import was clear. There was an uneasy shuffling of feet throughout the room.
Kaelara Mentahn
Shopkeeper

Though the piercing question stirred ire in her breast, she could not help the thought, A human? Ah, but to a human, perhaps such a bonding would not appear so... Unable to help herself, she began to chuckle. 'Accusations are meant to fluster, to put you off your mindset, or as a vengeful slap.' After a few flickers however, her lips closed more seriously, and she directed a firm gaze to the back of the room. Her shoulders fell back and straight, eyes drifting down her pert nose with a purely Adhelian pride.

"I do not propose I have any ability to ensure anyone's support with 'special influence' beyond honesty and straight dealing. Why do you think I brought it to this body first?" Her eyes swept around the assembly. "If I had that much influence upon the Provost, what would have been my need to come here? And the fact that you all seem to be responding favorably, gives me that much more belief the Provost will agree."

Gaze drifting from one side of the room to the other, noting the vague shiftings of unease, she could not restrain the wry comment. "It seems I must have a special influence upon you, sir, that you feel the need to track my movements." The shielded barb sprung from her lips before she thought, for the idea of being watched smacked strongly of the conditions that had brought her here previously.

"But you will be seeing me in the Provost's company more often. After my mediation in the matter of Savarak, he requested I maintain an advisory role. The relegation of the city is a little One-Sided.." the gentle pun sought to make a point, without offending those of such faith in the audience. "And this seemed a way to allow another viewpoint to be heard." Her shoulders firm with confidence, her slight frame was bathed in the flattering lamplight, little else to draw one's attention but the austere stage about her. "We will be meeting on the morrow to discuss the particulars, but while I am happy to discuss such with those interested, though few of you seemed so yesterday," she glanced briefly at Klebb, You're welcome to focus the meeting back on-topic at any time, sir.., "we are drifting off-topic, and your time is too important to quibble about my personal business decisions." She paused briefly. Too hasty, too blunt... these humans are rubbing off on you.. Drawing forth a smile, arcing it pleasantly across her lips, she sought to connect directly with those who had seemed most uneasy.

"While it seems you all gauge this a favorable and benefiting enterprise, are there any other questions? As it is evening, and the candle burns quickening, if you would like to proceed, I am happy to collect ideas, volunteers, and set up an opportunity for more discussion of the details. But please, do not let me rush you," Thought briefly diverted, the Adhiel shopkeeper quite innocently glanced around the room, tone serious, deadpanned, her pale brows lowering with brief concern. "I am quiet available to stay as long as necessary..." Head tilting to one side, the lamp-light cast a slight relief upon her distinctly Adhiel features. "I understand some decisions take time, and am quite prepared to stay as long as you desire it. My apprentice is prepared to handle the shop on the morrow, in any event, should our discussions carry that long."

'When dealing with humans,' her father's voice rang in her ears, 'never underestimate the power of slow, methodical discussion when at odds with their numbing posteriors. Prolong a meeting long enough, and when faced with the common stereotype of an Adhiel's implacable patience... they will be clamoring to support you.'

Kaelara folded her hands quietly before her, and though she could not dampen the interest and determination in her eyes, found herself quite prepared to plant those dainty feet in place and out-talk the best of them.
Guido Cercatoro

The reaction to Kaelara’s riposte to the barbed question of the wiry man was mixed. Several of those present responded with wry smiles but a number frowned as she revealed her new role as advisor.

Klebb took the hint and sought to redirect matters towards the business at hand. “It appears that Miss Mentahn’s proposal has fairly widespread support.” He paused for a few flickers and the majority in the room nodded their assent. “So it is a matter of working out the practical arrangements and funding details. I would suggest that we form a small committee to pursue this and then present detailed proposals to the assembly.” A murmur of agreement spread around the room. The wiry man looked about to intervene but Wanesman placed a hand on his shoulder.

“I will sit on this committee in my capacity as leader of the Council and Menalar has also kindly agreed to assist.” Klebb was about to continue but was interrupted by an intervention from Wanesman.

“I will be happy to help out too,” said the bloated man with a broad smile on his face. “I should be delighted to sponsor some events as well, after all it is for the good of the town. Provided of course, Miss Mentahn is happy with my involvement, for I would not want to antagonise such an influential person.”

Eyes swivelled towards Kaelara awaiting her response to Wanesman’s offer.
Kaelara Mentahn
Shopkeeper

The brash intrusion of Wanesman's words sent the Adhiel's mind whirling along various possibilities. Viscerally, she wished to deny the man outright - the dislike stirring in her belly lending an almost physical discomfort as time seemed to slow, all eyes shifting from Trader to herself. It is not unwise, to keep potential enemies close beneath one's eyes. The thought seemed to release time, as if a strand of life's weave had lurched back into place after a moment of order gone awry.

"Antagonize?" There was a quiet alertness to the word, as she considered his subtle mockery. "Is there something I am unaware of currently you feel would do so?" Intended as rhetorical, her right hand waved quietly to one side, as if to dismiss his statement. Wanesman's involvement was not ideal, certainly, but... that does not mean it would be entirely without use. "Three is a slightly less unwieldy number than five, which number we must realize would preserve the ability for a simple majority in decisions. If Master Klebb and this council feel three minds are insufficient to the task at hand, I'm sure we can accommodate your request, though I would certainly suggest a fifth..." The faint smile upon her lips intensified, for to her mind, at least, there was nothing any one being in the room could point to as inappropriate. And yet, I will not relinquish the hand I have been dealt, if Trader must join, I must maintain the upper hand.

'Illuminatus, I ask you grant me a clear mind, allow me to see the truths in this room. Wanesman honors none but himself and his greed, who hear might not be beholden to him? This morning you aided in the freeing of a trapped mind, I ask only that you grant me clear sight, so that Pax does not fall under the sway of another insidious type of power.'

The prayer passed in half a flicker, eyes slowly scanning across the room, noting the woman who had spoken earlier, as well as Omran. As her gaze turned to Klebb, deferring to his judgment as the voice of the entire council body. There was an immediacy to her readiness, for if he could not or would not deny Wanesman's request, she would be quick to suggest a fifth.

Reflecting on those assembled, the Adhiel tried to place a name to the other woman, hoping also to recall who of those within the room were not also overtly in Trader's pockets.
Guido Cercatoro

Kaelara’s prayer received no direct answer but whether by chance or some unseen intervention of her God, Omran spoke out clearly and assertively.

“I too will be happy to join to make it five,” he said simply, directing an unwavering stare at Wanesman.

Klebb appeared a little uncertain but then acceded with a quick glance to the adhiel.

“Thank you both. Let us hope that five is a fortuitous number. Are you content with this arrangement Miss Mentahn?”

Before the shopkeeper could answer, the achadhiel woman who had spoken previously joined in the debate. “And if one or other of you is unable to take part, I will be happy to substitute.” Kaelara could not help but feel that the woman was familiar but she could not place her or attach any name to her face.

Once Kaelara had answered, Klebb would bring the meeting to an end.
Guido Cercatoro

Archived due to player inactivity

Return to “The Baron Estates Archives”