Out of the Kettle... Chyril 27th [late ET - open!]

Moderator: Mods

Brytan
Moderator & Coordinator Triangle Islands

Post by Brytan »

"YOU want to go?! HAH! Don't make me laugh!"

Culwago stepped out from the crowd and stared blankly at Kytani and then back at Gannas. "You can't really consider letting these children go out and find something that could mean the death of us all?! There are rules, it's not our way!"

Voices of agreement raised from the now quite substantial crowd around the fire. Within the firelight the circle seemed quite small, but the reflecting sheen of numerous eyes in the darkness told any onlooker that plenty of people were listening. Some, those with keen hearing, even from other fires, where soon the discussion erupted. For a long time there had been two camps. That of the elders who held true to the old values of the Kanthrop, and that of the younger Kanthrop, who wanted only freedom. Soon nearly the entire village was debating the story and the repercussions of what this information meant.

"If any should go, it should be us!" Culwago continued. "Those of us who can shift. Like it always has been." To many this sounded like Culwago was only looking out for his own glory. He had always sought freedom, and ever since he had become able to shift he had made sure to let every kit know that he was able to leave the isle while they were not allowed.

"Yes, it should be us!"

"No, let Gannas decide!"

"But what about the brave kit, they deserve this honor?!"

More of these phrases erupted through the night's air. Xenovia in the meantime felt her Inner Animal inside churn. A cry erupted from outside the village, so close and loud many stood silent for a flicker.

And then all the fires went out.

She should choose...

The Bane started to glow, it hovered up from Xenovia's grasp and everyone could see the bright lines on the weapon erupt in white, blue and silver flames. The Inner Animals of many felt the weapon's power. It pulled at their core, their inner being. It seemed to feed on their souls as the fire grew brighter and suddenly exploded in a vision of two large silver wings, spreading out from the weapon. The wings were draconic in shape, lacking feathers of any kind. As they spread a figure seemed to form, made purely out of the same bright light that now lit up the entire village. It was the shape of a woman, the woman Xenovia had seen in her vision, yet now she appeared to have two large wings sprouting from her back.

For yahren have I dreamed...

The words seemed to enter their minds without passing through their ears.

...I created this place, my children. No longer can I walk your plain, that form taken from me. These trinkets...

She held the Bane in her right hand, which still glowed.

...were meant to keep my dreams safe. It was Xenovia who told me that it was in danger. She has proven to be the harbinger of my dream's demise. It should be her to decide who undertake this task. A task that should not have to take place just now...

She paused shortly, walking amidst the baffled Kanthrop to where Xenovia sat. She looked down at the young Kanthrop, a smile on her aetherial lips.

...I am Kanthanar. I am your Mother. You shall take the Bane and choose those to find both the sword and the spear. Neither can be neglected as both are in jeopardy. I have sensed a strong magical force in the east. The spear is in danger of discovery. The sword lies now abandoned and out of place. Find both and return them to me. Choose the path before you, and choose carefully who walk it with you...my child.

She handed the Bane back to Xenovia, her hand placed briefly against that of the young Kanthrop woman. A warm tingling sensation passed through her entire being as Kanthanar smiled once more. Once more before the vision of her fell apart in a thousand bright sparks, which seemed to ignite all the flames in and around the village at once.

Kanthanar had spoken.

It was time to decide.

OOC: Feel free to take it from here. Into recess or beyond. If you have any questions, feel free to nudge me. The ball's in your court. Have a lot of fun with it. I'll see you on the flip side!
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

[size=67]Avatar drawn and edited by me, Darkness concept (c) Topcow comics
Age=28 - SCZ=E - Attendance=daily[/size]
Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Xenovia's head snapped sideways as the detestable Culwago emerged from the midst of the crowd, her brilliant eyes narrowing and somehow seeming to darken, even in the light of the fire. Her teeth clenched at his words, though she did not speak. It was hard enough not lunging for his throat. Her Inner Animal churned within, causing her muscles to tense further. Culwago was a fool. A proud fool. But she would not tell him Scarlet had achieved her shift at a younger age than he. He would discover it soon enough.

A cry echoed through the night, silencing many of the tongues which should not have spoken in the first place. Suddenly, however, the village was shrouded in darkness, the glow of Xenovia's eyes lost with the sudden death of flame.

She should choose...

As the Bane began to glow, Xenovia's fingers loosened around it and allowed it to escape her grasp. She watched in wonder as it erupted into those lines of light, tugging at her as it did before. And suddenly, in a great explosion of light that had Xenovia shielding her eyes for a few flickers, the woman from her vision appeared -- this time with wings.

She spoke of dreaming, the same way she had before. Yet she called her the harbinger of the dream's demise, which made her flinch slightly. It didn't sound like a good thing to be. But this started before I found that bow. On she went, declaring that she should be the one to decide who would seek out the other two weapons. Xen's shoulders suddenly felt heavy. More to think of. More to worry about...

Yet then the woman approached her, Xenovia resisting the urge to step back. Instead she stood tall and seemingly proud, though inwardly she was humbled before the draconic woman. That smile, though...that was comforting.

Listening in silence, Xenovia nodded once as she accepted the Bane from the Kanthrop Mother once more. The warmth that passed through her caused her to smile, and for the briefest moment Xenovia didn't look as if she could kill someone at any second, her features softening as her lips pulled back in a genuine expression of happiness. Then, quite suddenly, the woman became nothing but sparks, all the fires of the village bursting into life once more. Xenovia felt the familiar cold of her own personality and was suddenly filled with a thousand questions. Was she to only bring two people? Surely more numbers would mean more safety? The Mother had said the Bane was hers, though, so she could not give it away. She had to bring Scarlet, she was obligated. Right? Xenovia found herself staring blankly at the Bane.

After a few long flickers Xenovia lifted her head, shooting a sharp glare at Culwago that told him immediately he certainly wouldn't be among those chosen. Then, turning away from the fire, she strode back toward her tent, her steps purposeful and smooth.

"Leave me be or wish you had."
[size=84][i]"When the sun is gone I see you:
beautiful and haunting, but cold;
like the blade of a knife so sharp, so sweet --
nobody knows your heart." - Princess Mononoke[/i][/size]
Muraco
Civus

Post by Muraco »

When Gannas began to speak it was much of what he had heard of the stories that he had loved as a kit. It seemed the whole village came when Hawkeye began to tell this tale but luckily he and his three companions were already close to him. They would not have to fight for a place like some others would. The Elder began to read and this was something he had never seen. Muraco listened with the same attentiveness he used during lessons. To hear of three weapons that could destroy the threat of Cryers, it was exciting to consider but roles each apparently had were concerning. The wolf warper’s eyes went to the bow once it was named the Key to Ursa’s destruction; it was something he could not help. If it were the key to the destruction, it seemed common sense to Muraco that it should never find the ‘keyhole’ it was meant for. Yet...if destruction of Ursa was what was needed to rid his people of the Cryer threat, it may be necessary. It was a chilling notion to consider, that their home may possibly need to be destroyed to achieve this. It was something that he would rather avoid but he had to realize, ultimately it was not a decision that was his.

Xenovia recounted her experience with Gannas’ urging. With each word, Muraco’s heart crawled deeper and deeper into his belly. He was a fool. The bird warper had a right to be angry in general and not least of all at his babbling. No matter how good natured his intentions, no one would want to recount what they went through. His attempt to lighten the conversation had not really worked in the way he intended. Clenching his fists at his sides he looked to the ground, feeling his face heat up. Stupid...stupid, how could he be so dense? The wolf kit did not have to wallow in his stupidity for long because Kytani soon disengaged from his arm and made her own intentions known. The spear, it was all coming back to Destiny. Muraco felt the key to Ursa’s people would be the more important of the two but he could not help but feel a need to reclaim the sword that had been stolen. It was deeper than insult; it was...truthfully it was something that he could not have explained in words. For perhaps the first in a long time, the wolf warper held his tongue and mulled things over for a few more flickers than he normally did. It was a wonder the things that occurred in the space he would normally would be filling with his own voice.

Scarlet suggested patience and oddly enough Muraco agreed. The two that had the most experience with these Keys were much too injured to go traipsing off the island chasing after ghosts and whispers. Culwago spoke, consumed with the pursuit of his own glory as usual. Muraco had pride, almost as much as the panther warper...almost. He could agree with him on most things but not this and it was not only because he was in this group of the..."unwarped". To call anyone children was a bit beyond the brash Kanthrops station. Entitled to his opinion as he was, Culwago had no say in who was or was not to depart on the search for the Keys. Muraco smiled as he observed his senior selectively choose which rules to adhere to and when. When it came down to Culwago wanting to do something, it should be allowed without question but in this situation there were rules. It was no coincidence who these rules benefited. Soon the whole camp seemed to have an opinion and for once Muraco kept his somewhere in his throat. Suddenly he was tired and his sleeping furs were welcoming in a way they had seemed to have forgotten how to achieve.

As withering as the situation had become, a cry sheared through the tangle of voices and silenced everyone. In a chilling flicker, the fires failed. Inside of that flicker, Muraco’s stomach seemed to drop into the depths of Ursa as the thought of the village being overrun that very eveningtide flooded his mind. Just as quickly, the Bane erupted and began to float before Xenovia. Butterflies swarmed in the wolf kit’s belly as he watched wings sprout from nothing and before them all was the vision of their Kanathar. A woman with wings, those of a dragon walked among them. The Bane stirred something in Muraco that he could not ignore. It was his inner wolf, he felt he knew this. The realization that these Keys were the most important things to the Kanthrop came crashing into him like a wave on a tiny skiff. Like a fledgling kit, he looked wide eyed as the Kanathar approached Xenovia. With a smile and words that none could disobey, she left the decision to the bird warper. Even Culwago could not argue with the Mother...at least Muraco did not think he could. As soon as she came, the winged woman was gone and all that followed was the crackle of rekindled flame. Muraco stepped forward as Xen began to stalk away after delivering a threat that dripped with menace. He looked to Scarlet and Kytani as he passed out of the circle with long strides to catch up to Xenovia. His expression was serious and he mouth set in a determined line.

"Xenovia, wait! I was a fool...I am a fool but a more trustworthy fool you will never find. If you and Scarlet would have me, I choose to go with you both. We must secure the spear and eventually the sword for the safety of our people. You have the Bane at least that much is secure, but the other Keys do not belong to anyone other than the Kanthrop," said Muraco evenly as he kept pace with her. Rather than assume he would go along, he decided to ask Xen and eventually Scarlet for their blessing.

"Please," he said simply. Xen would, or at least he hoped she would, be able to tell that Muraco was not after glory in the way Culwago was. If he was thinking clearly he would have likely taken her threat to reach farther than just his land bound brother. With bated breath, Muraco waited for Xenovia to speak and braced himself for a scolding. It was one that he more than deserved.
[hr]
ooc: *thwaps himself*[/hr]
Last edited by Muraco on Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kytani Hajgomb
Civus

Post by Kytani Hajgomb »

"YOU want to go?! HAH! Don't make me laugh!"

Kytani’s stare back at him was anything but blank.

"You can't really consider letting these children go out and find something that could mean the death of us all?! There are rules, it's not our way!"

In a flash, the kit was on her feet, her voice adding to the arguments of the crowd, her words directed at Culwago as she felt the heat in her blood rising not only from passion about the topic but also the flames, the heat tightening her exposed skin as she spoke, her muscles trembling from near rage.

“With only the respect owed and no more, Culwago, I seem to see two of your so-called ‘children’ holding the first Key while your warped-and-can-leave-at-any-time ass sits around this fire empty-handed.” She took in a deep breath, determined to get her thoughts, so long bottled up, off of her chest. “Our rules…yes… Our way… yes…” she agreed, pointing out that the rules were, indeed, self-imposed. “Earth Mother doesn’t care for ‘Our’ rules, apparently, or She would not have let two youngbloods – one warped and one not – find her treasure. And the Cryers…. The Cryers could give a flying fu---“

The rest of her argument was lost to the noise which silenced all.

After Kanthanar had said her peace and Xenovia had stormed off to contemplate the burdens of choice, Kytani could only blink in silence, listening to the Cryers in the distance.

“Go ahead…” she muttered to Culwago as she purposefully strode past him on the way to her own tent. “Re-summon her and then you, she, and the Cryers can have a nice long discussion about what is…and is not…our way.” Not allowing herself to be swayed into staying or detained, the furious kit her tent, fully understanding why Xenovia chose solitude to group bickering and politics.
"I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior." - [b]Hippolyte Taine[/b]

Totally [i]EPIC[/i] avatar by Funky!!!
Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

She flung her arms about Muraco. Her arms locking about his neck as she dived from her place by the fire to intercept him before he did something truely rash. She drove her knee into the side of his thigh, deadening the muscle and hopefully dragging him to the floor in the tackle before he caught up with Xen.

"If you have any love for her at all - shut your mouth." She snarled into his ear, the threat very real.

"This is not about glory, it is not about honour and it is certainly not about you." She tightened her grip about his throat. Muraco was by far stronger than Scarlet, her injuries not with standing, but she had not drawn steel, nor choked him - she simply made her position known. Culwago and the rest could burn, his fate was none of her concern. But Xen had just been burdened with a responsibility greater than Scarlet could imagine, the whinings and pleadings of some selfish boy would not trouble her this night. Not if Scarlet could give her some respite.

"You think you are special? That you can do a better job than Kaern, or Petran? You realise Xen might not even choose herself!?" She released Muraco in disgust and rolled to her knees, clutching the wound on her thigh that now bled through the bindings.

"It is the arrogance and the ego of children like Culwago that there is even an argument about this. Instead of trusting in the wisdom of our elders and the way of our people you are trying to whine your way into some grand adventure?! For your own sake, find some pride pup."

She fought her way to her feet and watched the haunted form of Xen move towards her hut. She wished she had the strength to stand guard all night. She wished she had the strength to do a lot of things, but she would settle for making this task a little easier. In any way that she could. For now she drew one knife from her belt and stood by the canvas that seperated Xen from the outside world. There was no threat in her eyes, simply the fact that any soul wishing to pass this threshold would spill blood.
Last edited by Scarlet on Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://wiki.tazlure.nl/index.php/Isle_Cat]Isle Cat[/url][size=75][color=darkred]

I'm not here to play who's the better killer.

[i]But it [b]is[/b] my favourite game...[/i][/color][/size]
Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Xenovia tensed. She had seen Muraco's muscles flex as she'd turned to leave the campfire. He was the last person she wanted to listen to right now. Yet her head turned slightly as she heard a slight scuffle, and she was surprise to see that Scarlet had attached herself to the wolf kit. Yet Xenovia was in no mood to consider anything other than her own thoughts and the great responsibility which now sat on her shoulders, and she quickly continued on, pretending not to notice the unfair wrestling match.

You shall take the Bane and choose those to find both the sword and the spear.

The words echoed in her thoughts and removed any ideas she'd had of passing this responsibility on to another. She had to go. To her ears, her Kanthanar had left her no choice. Who would she take with her? She thought immediately of those she wanted to take. Muraco was a blithering idiot sometimes, but she knew he could be trusted -- unlike Culwago, for example. She narrowed her eyes at this, wondering if Culwago would be fool enough to try and follow them. A quick shake of her head threw this thought aside; she had no time to be worrying about that.

Reaching her tent quickly, Xenovia pushed the flap aside and entered silently, moving immediately to the pile of furs she slept on and sitting down. The Bane she placed in her lap, each tip resting on her aching knees. The sound of popping bones was heard as her head rolled left and right.

Kytani wanted to go, she had made that much clear. Her desire was not glory but the securing of their people's future. She shared the same goal as Xenovia. But where Kytani was eager, Xenovia was hesitant. She did not possess that self-assurance. In fact, in the face of all this responsibility and these dire possibilities, she felt quite meek and unsure of herself. Yes, she had warped, and was no longer a kit. But she still felt a kit. She was only days older than she had been before she warped, how was that supposed to suddenly make her more capable and competent?

She could always bring one or more of the Kanthan. Oni. But without them... She shuddered to think of Culwago trying to appoint himself leader. He couldn't be trusted either way.

A rustling just outside of her tent distracted her for a moment and Xen lifted her head, her large eyes staring into the darkness. Her muscles were tense with hostility; she had warned them to leave her alone. Had Muraco follower her, despite her threat and Scarlet's attempts to stop him? He was more a fool than she'd thought. Yet...no, if it was Muraco, Xenovia's ears would have already been filled with a thousand words. Who then? "What is it??" Her words barked out from within the tent, the tone clearly expressing her willingness to harm whoever was outside her tent.

Yet upon hearing Scarlet's voice, Xenovia's frame would immediately relax. She -- and perhaps one of the Kanthan -- were the only individuals she would have cared to give her time to this evening. She had wanted to speak to Scarlet anyway, though she had decided she would say nothing about what had been bothering her since they'd escaped the clutches of the Cryers. No, now it was a selfish reason, one which Xenovia would never admit: she felt lonely. The weight on her shoulders left her feeling as if she were the only Kanthrop left in the world, and the hollow spot in her chest demanded company. After a few flickers' pause, Xenovia's words took on an entirely different tone. "You can guard me from in here if you want, and sleep in my tent tonight. You need rest." Of course she still carefully worded it so it didn't sound like she wanted company, but secretly Xenovia prayed Scarlet would accept.
Last edited by Xenovia Canace on Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Muraco
Civus

Post by Muraco »

Or so Muraco thought. He had contemplated his words, figured what he was going to say to Xenovia and was all but tackled by Scarlet. His first reaction was to throw his assailaint off of him but when he looked over his shoulder to see Scarlet he balked. Honestly he was at a loss at how to proceed. Muraco stood until she drove her knee into his thigh. Obviously she wanted him to...fall? Down to a knee he dropped, completely nonplussed at the earnest attempt to stop him. When he heard her words though, it was like a slap to the face. The effects of which she would have noticed because he went tense as she hissed at him. It was a threat, that much was evident and one that she could not deliver on, not in her current state. There was never any thought in Muraco's mind of aiming any aggression at Scarlet let alone anyone else gathered. He was completely flummoxed as she continued and as she released him, the wolf kit rose, reining in anger. He had turned his back to her, not caring at that moment that she had reopened her wounds. It was cold, it felt as if his insides would freeze solid and his skin would burst into flame. In that same flicker just as quickly as it came, his anger fizzled. He was suddenly weary once more...in no mood to yell, no mood to argue. If Scarlet thought that this was what he was all about, well it truly cut Muraco deeply to even think it.

"Yes...a grand adventure, that is what this is to me. Yes, I feel I can do a better job than Petran and Kaern. I am more wise than Gannas and more skilled than Oni. Why not? No, it is not your and her wellbeing that will make me sleep peacefully Scarlet...not when I can have glory in place of it," said Muraco and turned halfway back to her, "why find myself pride when to hear you say it, it is something I have overflowing, hm? Good night Scarlet and tell Xenovia I am glad she is home."

Muraco swallowed hard and made his way to his tent slowly. He seemed to be fluent in some language that made these women angry in mere flickers. Versed in some sort of body language that could trigger misconception. Emotions were running high that eveningtide and Muraco was doing nothing except banging his head against a wall...and it seemed that wall was made from the very stones around the Heart of Ursa. There would be time to talk however it was apparent that the time was not then.
Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

She would regret it, she knew she would, but she couldn't afford to pay attention to Muraco now. She would appologise later, try and work things out with the big lummox. For all the years they had shared he still couldn't find the right words and he hadn't yet learnt that he could convey as much without speaking. Scarlet liked him, there was an earnest care in his eyes but Ursa damn him if he didn't try too hard some times. She rubbed her knee where she had kicked him. Whatever he was eating did him the world of good for now Scarlet felt a twinge of pain where her knee had struck solid muscle. Though perhaps that had more to do with her own fatigue and weakness than anything else. Her body ached, her hands felt numb and it came as no surprise that Xenovia heard the intrusion. Oxen would have moved with more grace.

"What is it??"

Scarlet winced at the tone and tried to think her words through carefully. When she spoke, her voice was quiet but steady.

"I'm sorry Xen... I just thought... Well... You did this for me once. When I needed you to." Her speech trailed off slightly and she felt a sinking in her chest as she began to move back to her own tent. The last thing she had wanted had been to irritate her friend.

Xen's next words, however, brought a surge of affection so as to bring the young girl near to tears and with one final glance about to ensure their privacy, Scarlet slipped into the tent.

A hundred sensations assaulted Scarlet at once. First and foremost was the permeating scent of Xenovia. It clung to every fur, every fabric within the bounds of the canvas. It was a landscape familiar yet alien in its intricacies. Like a painting there were differences - old scents layered new and the permeating fear that had clothed the two kanthrop for days seemed lessened here, drowned in the sea. Secondly was the simple realisation that she had never before set foot within this tent. Scarlet's own hut was only a short walk away but the path of the bird-warper and the feline had simply not crossed before. This and a myriad of other thoughts; Scarlet's own fears, her pain, her concern, the Bane that sat on Xen's lap, the exhaustion and pressure that had to be beating down her will all seemed so very real. It was all she could do to kneel on the furs, look up at her friend and smile.

"You do realise that for all your God-given choosing powers, I am going to go with you."
[url=http://wiki.tazlure.nl/index.php/Isle_Cat]Isle Cat[/url][size=75][color=darkred]

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Xenovia's gaze followed Scarlet quietly as she entered her tent, and it suddenly felt strange to have another body within her "hallowed grounds." Xen was famouse for aggression and avoidance. She had no true friends, no one she sought out or spent time with. Even her loose friendship with Niamh had dissipated quickly, and her fellow bird warper had not been welcomed into her tent in this way. Perhaps she was going soft, with all this pressure and sleep deprivation.

She watched Scarlet kneel with careful apprehension, worried that the girl would injure herself further. Of course Xenovia secretly shouldered all the blame for Scarlet's wounds. If Xen hadn't wandered into the cave, Scarlet never would have followed. Naturally it didn't occur to the guilty party that, had she never entered that cave, much of their history would still be lost and the keys would be unheard of.

"You do realize that for all your God-gicen choosing powers, I am going to go with you."

For a moment Xenovia's only response was to blink, her back straightening slightly and her chin tilting up as if she were surprised at Scarlet's daring statement. Then, without warning, she exhaled quickly through her nose, her shoulders lifting as a soft "hm" escaped her throat. It was the closest to a laugh she had come in a long time; soon bears would fly.

"I hate to ruin your daring plan, but I was going to bring you anyway. You seem to enjoy risking your life following me around." Xenovia smirked slyly, despite the fact that she felt quite uncomfortable acting as if Scarlet was already her friend. Friendship was something others simply accepted or gave. To Xenovia, it was a more precious commodity, and she never simply counted someone amongst her friends. Allies, perhaps, but not friends.

Dropping her gaze, Xenovia stared quietly at the Bane, wondering what on Ursa had compelled her to go into that cave, despite the obvious danger and the warnings from her Inner Animal. She was pleased to have discovered the keys, and yet troubled. Xenovia had not been the one they'd expected. Was someone else supposed to find them? Perhaps someone wiser? Petran, or Kaern, or Oni, or even Gannas. Had she taken the bow from them without realising it? With the Bane in such inexperienced hands, had she unkowingly doomed her entire race? The smirk had faded quickly from Xenovia's lips, and now her shoulders began to sag. She wanted to tell Scarlet all of her worries, but instead she simply said,

"I've decided we will look for the sword first. If the spear is in danger of being found, I would rather have the sword with us if we need to fight for it, rather than try to get to the spear first and risk being unprepared. It will also give us time to learn to cooperate beforehand." Xen gently pinched her nose just between her eyebrows, closing her eyes for a moment. She had never said so many words to one person in confidence. She was usually a creature of few syllables.

"Muraco and Kytani will come too. I suppose the Mother or Fate or some higher force will decide who will come to use the other two keys. I dare not bring any of the Kanthan; it will be hard enough for them to keep everyone calm while they wonder if their future has already died with us. Culwago will probably try to stir up trouble."

She had decided quickly, but Xenovia feared if she did not make her choice fast she would find herself crushed under the weight of the burden. Setting the Bane aside, Xenovia fell onto her furs in a tangle of wiry limbs and wild hair, her gaze lifting just enough to stare emptily at Scarlet's knee.

"What do you think? Any better ideas?"
Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

"Maybe."

She spoke quietly still kneeling, though ignoring the pain it caused her. Scarlet could tell Xen was uncomfortable. She did not know exactly why but she could make a few guesses and Scarlet treating this tent like a home would likely exacebate matters. With Kytani this would have been so much easier, the two were comfortable around each other and words could be thrown about without fear that they might be misinterpreted. With Xenovia, Scarlet felt she had to be careful.

"I agree that destiny is the more dangerous pursuit," she said tentatively, expecting Xen to jump in at any moment. "But I don't think it's one we can afford to put off."

She could feel the argument welling up inside her, the need to persuade and run her mouth. Were she a hulking great wolf-kit, the words would have come swiftly.

Scarlet choked them before they came spilling out.

This was not the time. The way Xenovia had sagged onto her furs, burdened by a hundred fears and worries. Scarlet had been granted a sight of Xen at her most vulnerable and she was not about to squander it on words. Slowly and cautiously she edged towards Xenovia, desperately trying to find the right thing to do. A reassuring touch could easily be mistaken for a patronising one and so her hand froze inches away from Xen's shoulder before she returned it to her lap, trying hard to ignore the dark stain that had worked its way through her bindings.

"Don't decide tonight. Kanthanar said we had time."

She plucked up the courage to brush Xen's dark tangle of hair from her face.

"If she gave you the choice it was because she was sure you would make the right one. You are a child of Kanthanar. Trust your instinct."

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

Xenovia's eyes closed when Scarlet disagreed with her. Instinct had told her to find the spear as quickly as possible, but reason had urged her to get the sword first. Was this how it would always be? Torn between reason and instinct? But instinct wasn't what had led her into that cave. It wasn't exactly reason, but it was her mind. All of her instincts had told her to run. Was she to ignore them in this situation as well? A gentle sigh escaped her lips as she grumbled to her Inner Animal. I wish you'd tell me what you think.

"If I'd listened to my instinct, I never would have found the Bane," she said in gruff, yet tired tones, her decision up in the air once more. Just like that.

But movement caused her to open her eyes just slightly, in time to see Scarlet's hand pause and move away from her shoulder. She wasn't sure why, but it stung. When they were in the forest, trying to find their way home, Scarlet had not hesitated to squeeze as much pain out of Xenovia's muscles as she could. Now that they were back home, it seemed Xenovia had once again become unapproachable. Her thoughts flickered to Niamh, briefly.

Of course it was unfair for Xenovia to expect Scarlet to immediately forget that she had been an intimidating loner almost every flicker of her life in the village. Intimidation was how she avoided vulnerability and mockery. It was already bad enough that she had been so weak around Scarlet; if word got around that she worried and hurt and cried just like everyone else, her reputation would be in danger. So, logically, there was only one choice. Her mouth opened just as Scarlet brushed a tangle away from her face, and for a moment she hesitated. She wanted to say, Please don't be afraid of me, I've hurt you enough already. But what came out was, "You don't have to stay with me, but if you do you should relax. You're hurting yourself."

Anger surged through Xenovia's muscles, despite her terribly weary state. So, this was what happened when you tried to act familiar with someone. Awkwardness and discomfort. Yet her irritation only lasted for a few flickers, replaced by an overwhelming desire to just go to sleep, before she slowly rolled over onto her side, her back to Scarlet. Normally she would never sleep with her back to the opening of her tent, but tonight would be an exception. At least until Scarlet slept.
Scarlet
Civus

Post by Scarlet »

"I'm not sure you had much of a choice with the Bane Xen. I think it was meant for you."

Scarlet lay down next to her almost silently. She took a second to shuffle out of her Kanthar and wrapped herself in the furs. It was a warm night, but having spent days sleeping wild, she was not about to let the comfort go to waste.

She had so much she wanted to ask, so much she wanted to say. Xen seemed so tired, so beaten. Scarlet just wished she could just patch things up and make them better, but a weary soul was not an injury to be cured by stitch or leaf and Scarlet couldn't seem to find the right words. Xen reached out to no-body. It was the image she had cultivated over years, a solitary predator who sure as hell did not need you. Scarlet was not about to break down that wall for her, though she would gladly step through the door once opened. She got the feeling a relationship with Xen couldn't be rushed nor forced. Yet she had been invited to her tent, even asked her opinion on what could be the greatest decision ever undertaken by one of her people. Perhaps that door was more open than Scarlet had given credit for.

"I'm glad it was you in the mountain Xen. I'm not sure anyone else would have bought me home."

She watched Xen through half-lidded eyes. Lethargy coursing through her veins as sleep clawed at her conciousness. Then, slowly, her golden eyes closed and she drifted into the first dreamless sleep she had had in weeks.

Xenovia Canace
Bane bearer

Post by Xenovia Canace »

She needed reassurance. She wanted to argue with Scarlet, tell her they weren't expecting Xenovia, that someone else was supposed to go in her place. Because maybe then Scarlet would say something comforting, or maybe even admonish her for being so silly and tell her that of course Xenovia was supposed to be the one holding the Bane.

But Xenovia remained silent, staring quietly at the curves of her long fingers and trying not to be too tense. Scarlet was very nearby, Xenovia suddenly realized, and she felt her face growing warm. Most Kanthrop had little concern for modesty, sometimes walking about in the nude (here she thought of Oni) without any care at all. Yet Xen was not used to such things in confidence, and the thought that she intended to fall asleep with someone else very nearby unsettled her somewhat. I suppose I should get used to it, she mused to herself. It will happen a lot more in the coming months.

"I'm glad it was you in the mountain Xen. I'm not sure anyone else would have brought me home."

Had she been sitting up, Xenovia's shoulders would have sagged. You brought yourself home Scarlet, I would have left you in that cave.. It was true that Xen had watched over Scarlet in the days that had followed as they made their way through the forest, but she was just as much watching over herself. Xenovia was no hero, yet more than one person likely thought of her that way. Would she be able to fill that role? She didn't know what to say, so she just pretended she was already asleep.

Once she was sure Scarlet was asleep, Xenovia turned onto her back ever so carefully, glancing toward the feline warper. They were so very different, she and Scarlet, both in appearance and personality. Most other Kanthrop simply looked like humans with animal eyes, but Xenovia -- she was an anomaly. Silently, she hoped that wouldn't be a problem once they found themselves amongst others. I'll have to wear a cloak, or they'll think I have some sort of plague.

Xenovia mulled over these things until she found herself relaxing back onto the furs, her eyes closing slowly. Her dreams were a bit more restless than Scarlet's but she slept still beside her, only groaning a few times when the claws of etherial Cryers tore through her eyes and chest...

OOC: Fin! Hope I'm not jumping ahead too much, but we are hopefully continuing here.
Last edited by Xenovia Canace on Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Brytan

Post by Brytan »

OOC: A very nice conclusion to a very well written thread everyone. I will leave conclusions to the recess as we should all move through that now. Scarlet and Xen have already been approved. See you on the flip side!
[size=84][i]I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about. You must be confusing me with that other guy...[/i][/size]

Brytan

Post by Brytan »

Skilled! Awarded skill points;

Muraco:
Conversation +2 stars
Knowledge [Kanthrop Lore] - new skill

Xenovia:
History (written) - Kanthrop exchanged for Knowledge [Kanthrop Lore] - Basic, added 3 stars
Conversation [Basic] - new skill

Scarlet:
Conversation [Basic] - new skill

Kytani:
Conversation +2 stars
Last edited by Brytan on Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Kanthrop Archive”