Hitting the Books (Palace Gates, Chyril 27th TT)

Moderators: Maeve, Mods

Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

Anistis set the books down where the Lady had indicated, glad to be relieved of the weight. He organized them into a stack as neat as he could make it.

"I know that I may be the least skilled of all present," Anistis offered, meekness fueled by uncertainty creeping into his voice, "but I learn quicly and am willing to assist in any way that I can."

He wanted to help, especially if lives were at stake and his actions could prevent the further loss thereof. The thought that this Lady was most likely the "Keeper of the Codex" that Tyrone had been instructed to seek out hadn't escaped Anistis, however. She might be able to shed some light on the mysterious cult that he'd learned of this morningtide in the Bascilica, but since this was Tyrone's information with which he'd been entrusted, the acoylte felt it appropriate that he only disclose what he knew to the Lady Deborona.

Anistis resolved, then, so as not to be cold to Azure and Matiel, to wait until such time as their small gathering began to disperse and take Deborona aside to speak to her privately. For the time being, he fell silent in order to let the Lady field any questions from Matiel and Azure and to contemplate with mingled trepidation and excitement how far their journeys in search of the parts of this book might take the three of them.
Azure Stonehand
Civus

Post by Azure Stonehand »

"I have none m'lady except for one..." Azure spoke with deepest respect. "That would be 'When do we start?'"
Azure Stonehand
AKA Meisha
Matiel Escariot
Civus
Location: In a place surrounded by farms I my family does not own.

Post by Matiel Escariot »

"I already had my question."

Matiel sighed and breathed through his teeth as he tried to make the Lady understand what he was trying to say, "What you're asking us, especially me, to do is to risk out my neck. This is not an apprentice scribes work to do. This is not about translating and scrivening the pages we find. We actually have to find the pages. I already know how to do it. I've noticed things happening in the academic community and now this just adds to the pieces of the puzzle that I have been wondering about. In other words, I can ehlp you. I can help you effectively and quickly. But...what do I get for sticking out my neck for documents that don't want to be found so easily?"
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

Lady Deborona smiled at Azure. “Ahh the exuberance of youth.” Turning a more calculating eye towards Matiel for a flicker, she lets a slight calculating smile touch her lips.

“Compensation will really depend on what you are looking for. Of course there will be a retainer for your services. Additional compensation will depend on what services you are asked to perform. I know that other things besides money are important to some folks, so beyond that, you will have to be a bit more specific in what you desire. If it is not unreasonable, then we can discuss it.”
By all the Dodos! these are thoughts of weight,
Most venerable, wise, and out of date.
(from [i]The Paradise of the Birds[/i], by [i]W. J. Courthope[/i])

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Matiel Escariot
Civus

Matiel refused to relax, apart from what his companions chose to to be at that moment. The moment his prospective employer flashed her smile, Matiel felt his own lips twitching. He could almost swear that there was something there for him to appreciate. Her words only added to Matiel's approval.

"I have my own ideas on this. I'm going to work on them. I'm going to tell you what I'm capable of being that you seem to know what is due a man and exude some power over the ability to give a man what he's worth."

Matiel brushed a thumb over his lips and continued, "I know where to start looking for this. Several academics have recently disappeared, not unlike those your relative knew. There has been a hinted connection between those who are missing and a certain headmaster with iron connections to a certain religious group. That group would be your main problem. What you've been telling us know en roaches on their authority. No offense to certain parties here with us."

"Secondly, I know how to maneuver through that thicket without implicating myself into it directly. I know how to keep your connection to whatever I do non existent. I also know how to make it seem as if another party has taken some interest into what you want to do."

"All I would ask for is this, teach me how to read, as you would, this text of yours. I want to know what's in it, cause what's in it is worth more than any other thing you might be able to achieve for me."
Anistis
The Tender

Post by Anistis »

Anistis' ears perked up at Matiel's mention of disappearances and the acolyte's interest only grew with Matiel's implication of Church involvement.

"No offense was taken, sir," Anistis assured Matiel in response to his vague insinuation regarding his being a member of the clergy. "But if you won't take any offense, can I ask that you elaborate on this for me a little later? I hadn't heard about these disappearances."

Was the cult within the church involved in this disappearances? If so, why exactly were they targeting scholars rather than political and ecclesiastical officials? Whatever it was that Anistis had stumbled into today, it was pretty big.

Truth be told, he would have liked to know what was in the Codex, too, but unlike Matiel, he didn't feel quite bold enough to ask. If the One wished him to have that knowledge, it would come with time and with the earning of Deborona's trust.

It all seemed incredibly daunting to Anistis, but it would seem that Dominicus had seen fit to place this weight on the shoulders of one of his lowly acolytes, and Anistis decided that He would not have done so had He not known that His servant could bear the burden.
Danomel

Post by Danomel »

“Very well then,” Lady Deborona continues. “I have several leads that will probably keep you all busy for some time. There is an estate sale starting in a fortnight in Brie, and there are a few dealers along the way.”

Lady Deborona considers for a moment. “Here.” She says pulling out several pieces of paper. “So you know what you are looking for, I have a few example sheets. The pages of the codex are fairly distinctive.”

The two pieces of paper are old and yellowed with faded text in a strange blockish script. The one page has the text lined up in six columns and 36 rows, obviously done with a great deal of precision. The other page shows 36 rows with two columns. One very short, the other taking up most of the page. The first column has the same blocky text, matching the previous page, but the rest of the line is of more fluid like writing, the rows being very well delineated.
By all the Dodos! these are thoughts of weight,
Most venerable, wise, and out of date.
(from [i]The Paradise of the Birds[/i], by [i]W. J. Courthope[/i])

(Avatar by LEW 1998)
Matiel Escariot
Civus

"Done," Matiel rose from his seat, accepting the papers as he did so. These he divided into equal parts and gave it to the other.

"I'll talk to you later about this," he said to Anistis in passing, as he passed to them the papers.

"Now, I believe we've all agreed on what to do, all that's left now is how we do it."

"Any thoughts that need voicing from anyone here at present?"
Ashari
Moderator & Coordinator Mer Cities

Post by Ashari »

Closing this one!

SKILLS:
Anistis
NEWSKILL! Knowledge [Matagorian Codex] - Basic
Pray: +*
Conversation:+*

Azure
NEWSKILL! Knowledge [Matagorian Codex]
Conversation: +**

Matiel
NEWSKILL! Knowledge [Matagorian Codex]
Conversation: +*
Business Perception: +*

ITEMS:
Matagorian Codex Pages
[color=#000000][i]"What of the soul was left, I wonder, when the kissing had to stop?"[/i]
-- Robert Browning. [/color][size=75][i]Avatar by: [url=http://vyrl.deviantart.com/]vyrl[/url][/i][/size]

Return to “KC Archive”